Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Basketball HOF Rookies Thread###################################

Comments

• Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I can help you out with two cards you need a 1990 Fleer #65 Sarunas Marciulionis PSA 8 and a 1994 Upper Deck #82 Katrina McClain PSA 8 $10 with the shipping. let me know if your interested?
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the offer, but I have those ready to send off to PSA soon.
    What is your set listed as? I will see if I can help you.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    A big thanks to PSA. My free SMR arrived in the mail today with the Hall of Fame RC article. Kevin Glew was great to talk to, and I am glad they put in the article. Should mean more people to bump up prices on the set image
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I did enjoy that.

I so admired him and Dr J

Some of his moves....looks like Magic paid attention.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Trying to complete some sets and figuring out what RC to select is sometimes difficult. For Paul Pierce, Vince Carter and Dirk Nowitzki some sets require SP Authentic and others the Topps Chrome. Anyone know why?

What are the best RC's for Robert Horry and Shawn Kemp? I am guessing for Kevin Johnson it has to be 1989 Fleer - correct?
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Trying to complete some sets and figuring out what RC to select is sometimes difficult. For Paul Pierce, Vince Carter and Dirk Nowitzki some sets require SP Authentic and others the Topps Chrome. Anyone know why?

What are the best RC's for Robert Horry and Shawn Kemp? I am guessing for Kevin Johnson it has to be 1989 Fleer - correct? >>

The best RCs for Pierce, Dirk and Carter are SP Authentic by a long shot. Topps Chrome should never have been an option for those sets. For KJ it'd be '89 Fleer and Kemp '90 Fleer. As for Horry, my guess would be '92 Upper Deck.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Andy - Thanks. For Pierce and Nowitzki most of the sets will take either the SP Authentic or the Topps Chrome but for the Finals MVP set it will only take the Topps Chrome. Puzzling to say the least.

• Options

<< <i>Andy - Thanks. For Pierce and Nowitzki most of the sets will take either the SP Authentic or the Topps Chrome but for the Finals MVP set it will only take the Topps Chrome. Puzzling to say the least. >>

I had to request that the SP Authentic cards be added to the All-Time G/F/C and Future HOF'er sets as either/or options. You can probably do the same for the Finals MVP set. I think the person who created many of these sets for PSA was a Topps Chrome junkie, but that's obviously not always the key rookie.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    All-Time NBA #1 Draft Picks (1953-Present)
    The results of the poll are as follows;
    Kyrie Irving -2012 Panini Hoops #223
    Anthony Davis - 2012 Panini Hoops #275
    The online set composition has been updated with the new additions.

The Panini Prizms were the other choice and go for at least double there Hoops counterparts.
    For the up and coming players, I am trying to get the most valuable base cards for each of them.
    Hoops is by far the cheapest option in my opinion.

• Options

~~~~All-Time NBA #1 Draft Picks (1953-Present)
    The results of the poll are as follows;
    Kyrie Irving -2012 Panini Hoops #223
    Anthony Davis - 2012 Panini Hoops #275
    The online set composition has been updated with the new additions.

The Panini Prizms were the other choice and go for at least double there Hoops counterparts.
    For the up and coming players, I am trying to get the most valuable base cards for each of them.
    Hoops is by far the cheapest option in my opinion.~~~~~~

They just ran a poll for the All-Star Game MVP set and the 2012 Panini Prizm won. I voted for the Hoops card for the All-Star set and when the Panini Prizm card won, I voted for it for the Draft Picks poll to be consistent. Oh, well!

• Options
    By the time these guys possibly make the HOF the most valuable base card should be obvious.
    Such as SP Authentic vs Topps Chrome for Nowitski, Pierce and Carter.
    As long as we get it right for the HOF RCs set I'll be happy.
  • Options
    I have accumulated a ton of extras from this set, and would love to trade with anyone looking to upgrade their sets.

My email address is gregmo32@aol.com

I probably have over 100 PSA graded singles, some high grade, some mid grade, and some lower grade, from every year.
    I am working slowly to try to get an exhaustive list together, but if there is something in particular you are looking for, let me know.
    Future HOF RC's too....
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    The most recent inductees:

Spencer Haywood 1971 Topps #20
    Jo Jo White 1970 Topps #143
    Lisa Leslie 1997 Pinnacle WNBA #1
    Dikembe Mutombo 1991 Upper Deck #3

Those are the cards used in the Future HOF set. Haywood and White RC's are obvious. Leslie also has a 1994 Upper Deck USA card which is listed in the 10 year WNBA set but in the Greatest WNBA set of all-time it is listed as 1997 Pinnacle as well. Mutombo would have more than one RC as well. I wonder if it will come to a vote.

• Options
    PSA is not using the 94 for the ladies. It would be 97 Pinnacle for Leslie

Now that doesn't mean they can't choose the 94

Staley's RC was determined to be 1999 when she had a 94 UD

Glad to see Haywood finally make it and Jo Jo as well.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭

<< <i>The most recent inductees:

Mutombo would have more than one RC as well. I wonder if it will come to a vote. >>

I agree with your pick. I think the 1991 Upper Deck is the nicest Mutombo Rookie by far.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options

<< <i>Spencer Haywood 1971 Topps #20
    Dikembe Mutombo 1991 Upper Deck #3 >>

These are the cards that will be in the HOF RCs set.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Spencer Haywood 1971 Topps #20
    Dikembe Mutombo 1991 Upper Deck #3 >>

These are the cards that will be in the HOF RCs set. >>

I'm assuming that these cards are going to eventually get pulled from the "Future Hall of Fame" set.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    Soooooooo, someone just requested a bunch of additions to the Basketball All-Time and Future HOFs sets. I'm not a fan of many of these proposals and voted accordingly.

All-Time Guards: Parker (I'll go along with this one), Paul (On track, but still has a ways to go)
    All-Time Forwards: Gasol (Very good, but not an all-time great), Carmelo (If winning doesn't matter, then I suppose so)
    All-Time Centers: Howard (Still has a ways to go)
    Future HOF'ers: Nance (No), Sikma (Possibly - I voted yes), Moncrief (Good call, but his rookie is '80 Topps, not '86 Fleer as requested. Doh!)

I think I'm forgetting a player or 2 as well. The Future HOF RCs set in particular is already flooded with players who will never sniff the HOF. It seems like a lot of these requests are rushes to get cards added to sets that should be reserved for elite players with firmly established legacies. Patience my friends, patience.
  • Options
    I voted no to every single request. Seemed ludicrous.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    I second all that
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I was surprised at some of the request for additions to the all-time players by position and agree with Vince.
  • Options
    I feel like Sidney Moncrief will eventually get selected by the veterans committee.

Pau Gasol is 100% a Hall of Famer when you factor in his international play.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    Anyone want to do some trading for mid grade singles from this set?
    I have some doubles and triples of some psa 4, 5,.6,.7's that I would love to trade for similar copies of yours....

• Options
    It looks like every request for addition to the all-time sets got voted down. Interesting, I would have thought one or two players would have gotten through.
  • Options
    Me too, Albie, though I'm fine with the sets staying the way they were. Moncrief will be a HOF'er, and it could come as early as next year when Iverson is the only legit first-time candidate. Sikma may eventually get in as well. Parker's an interesting case for all-time great consideration, but it's tough to argue against 4 championships.
  • Options
    I know in football it used to be a discussion was heard here on the boards by the set members.

That is going away as of recently.

Was this ever a tradition for BK or did guys just send it requests and then out for a vote.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Was this ever a tradition for BK or did guys just send it requests and then out for a vote.

I've never seen that for basketball, Jay. I think it's a good idea to do it, but I also don't think people should vote against additions simply because they weren't discussed here first. After all, there are plenty of set registry collectors who aren't members here.
  • Options
    Of all the guys mentioned in the poll, not one makes my list of "all-time greats". Some are on their way but not for long enough. There are no deletions in this set -- once the player is in, they stay in. I have my own approach to collecting HOFers and it does include punting on whether some borderline guys will make it. But this set shouldn't work that way. As Andy said, way too many guys in this set will never get a sniff at the HOF.
    Collecting HOF RC's in hockey, baseball, football and basketball. A fool's errand some have said.
  • Options
    For me to be considered an all time great....you had better already be in the HOF or at least a 1st ballot contender.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Just an early opinion on who will be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame for 2016:

NBA: Iverson/Shaq/Hardaway or KJ

ABA:Mcginnis

Women: Sheryl Swoopes

Vets: I'm still holding out hope for Max Zaslofsky and Willie Naulls.

Early Afro American; Chuck Cooper but as far as I know there is no card for him.

International Im going with Vlade Divac

• Options
    Just an early opinion on who will be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame for 2016:
    NBA: Iverson/Shaq/Hardaway or KJ
    ABA:Mcginnis
    Women: Sheryl Swoopes
    Vets: I'm still holding out hope for Max Zaslofsky and Willie Naulls.
    Early Afro American; Chuck Cooper but as far as I know there is no card for him.
    International Im going with Vlade Divac

I like your thinking with a lot of this! Unfortunately you're a year early on Shaq and Swoopes. There was even a shot that Iverson was going to have to wait until 2017 as well, but the HOF ruled that his European play wouldn't delay his eligibility. Good thing too, because that would have left zero legit first-year candidates next year. Here are my guesses:

NBA: Iverson, KJ, Hardaway will make it as well as possibly one or two of Moncrief, Cheeks (though I hope not), Sikma, M. Johnson and W. Davis. I'd love to see Aguirre get in because I think he's more than deserving, but there seems to be zero traction there.
    ABA: McGinnis is WAY overdue (Zelmo and Calvin are also worthy candidates)
    Women: I honestly don't even know who's eligible
    Vets: Naulls has been my guy for years, so I'll stick with him. Dandridge and Hudson are also fine candidates. This pick often seems to come from left field, so who knows?
    Early Afro American: Absolutely no idea.
    International: I agree with Divac. I think Gallis has a shot too, though I have a soft spot for him having gone to the same school.

2017's first-year candidates include Shaq, Ming and Stojakovic, so there will be less room for some of the players who've been p*****ed over to get the nod.
  • Options
    Hey guys when do the announce the selections?

I also think Sidney is HOF worthy

Max, Hudson, Zelmo or Naulls are my Veteran picks....Hudson my #1 choice.

Divac as Int'l

As far a women just check the WNBA lists and all time top 15

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Hey guys when do the announce the selections?

I think in February they announce the finalists and the players who are elected directly. Then the weekend of the Final Four they announce who has been selected.

I have some HOF Metallic cards I listed for sale in the Buy/Sell/Trade if anybody is interested.

Thomas Barlow RC PSA 10 (1 of 3) $50
    John Beckman RC PSA 9 (1 of 3 with 1 higher) $25
    Joseph Brennan RC PSA 9 (1 of 3 with 1 higher) $25
    Al Cervi PSA 8 (1 of 2 with 2 higher) $15
    Wilt Chamberlain PSA 10 (1 of 2) $75
    Max Friedman RC PSA 8 $15
    Lauren Gale RC PSA 8 $15
    William Johnson RC PSA 9 (1 of 2 with 1 higher) $25
    Edward Krause RC PSA 8 $15
    Edward Krause RC PSA 9 (1 of 3 with 1 higher) $25
    Pete Maravich RC PSA 9 (OC) $50
    Branch McCracken PSA 8 $15
    Bob McDermott RC PSA 9 $25
    Ernest Schmidt RC PSA 8 $15
    If you would like a scan let me know.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I did that off the top of my head and didn't know about Shaq and Swoopes. I like the Moncrief selection and Hudson as well, both were terrific players. I'm going to have to do some homework on the female selection because Swoopes is in that rare air like Cynthia Cooper, Lisa Leslie and Cheryl Miller.
  • Options
    Hot off the presses! The HOF is considering shortening the wait time for a player to eligible for the Hall from 5 years to 4 years, and this change could be implemented immediately. That means that Shaq, Yao (and possibly Swoopes) would all be eligible for the first time next year, rather than just Iverson. While it would be good news for the HOF to have such star power in one class, it could be bad news for players that have been waiting to get in and seemed to have a good chance (KJ, Hardaway, etc.) with a light new class.

Here's the article:

Potential Rule Change
  • Options
    I just read that they also did away with the ABA committee. That really stinks. McGinnis, Beaty and Calvin all deserve to get in. Now they've got a real uphill battle.
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I know this has been mentioned several times on here regarding which cards got picked for some of the women players who are in the hall, but was there ever a specific rule adopted - such as, if they played in the WNBA then their first WNBA card whould be used? Obviously for some of them they have older cards in the 1994 Flair and Upper Deck USA sets. I saw a few posts back where it said Swoopes' card would probably be the 1997 Pinnacle card - is that right?
  • Options
    Yes, Swoopes would be '97 Pinnacle. You can use this set as a guide for which cards to get:

WNBA Top 15

As for the rule for which cards are chosen, it's whatever card Beckett recognizes as a player's professional rookie. That's why Olympic cards that were issued for players who went on to play professionally aren't used in the set. I would argue that a player's earliest release from a top card company should be used, but I guess it's easier for PSA to just follow Beckett.
  • Options
    On a somewhat related note...I think Diana Taurasi should be in the "Future Hall of Fame Players" set.

2004 Ultra #91

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    I agree on Taurasi. You could probably add virtually every player in the WNBA top 15 set except for Pointdexter to that list. Sue Bird, Katie Smith, Lauren Jackson etc.

The card selected for the women players is based on who requested the set.

For Lisa Leslie in the WNBA tenth anniversary set it is 1994 Upper Deck USA for the Top 15 players it is 1997 Pinnacle WNBA which it also is for her HOF RC.

When the HOF RC set came out you could use either 1994 Flair USA or 1997 Pinnacle WNBA for Woodard or Cline and then when Teresa Edwards was elected you could no longer use 1994 Flair it had to be her 2003 ULTRA wnba card.

• Options
    I picked this inf off the HOF website and it is a list of eligible candidates for the Hall this year. According to this Shaq and Sheryl Swoopes are eligible this year for induction. I was told by shagrotn77 that they were not so I will stick to my original predictions on this list.

http://www.hoophall.com/news/2015/12/21/naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-of-fame-announces-eligible.html
  • Options
    I picked this inf off the HOF website and it is a list of eligible candidates for the Hall this year. According to this Shaq and Sheryl Swoopes are eligible this year for induction. I was told by shagrotn77 that they were not so I will stick to my original predictions on this list.

The HOF changed its waiting time from 5 years to 4 years after my post. You can read more about the changes they made earlier in this thread.
  • Options
    All the ABA guys are now on the veterans list.

Do you guys thing Yao Ming gets in ? Did he have a European career as well as NBA.

I don't remember him being all that dominant.

Link to Nesmith

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Yao will definitely get in, if not this year then within the next 3. I don't believe he played in Europe, but that's not going to matter. If Yao isn't the International pick this year, I'll go with Divac.
  • Options
    Not a Hall of Fame note but on the Boston Celtics all-time set Tiny Archibald was just added. Archibald played 5 seasons with the Celtics in which time the team made the play-offs 3 times and won one championship. He never averaged over 15 points a game or 9 assists a game with the Celtics. He might be an ALL-TIME great but not strictly for the Celtics. Sometimes I wonder if people just vote for certainly players because they have their RC.
  • Options
    Are the following rookie cards correct for the latest HOF inductees as far as the PSA registry goes?

Yao Ming 2002 Topps Chrome
    Allen Iverson 1996 Topps Chrome
    Shaquille O'Neal 1992 Upper Deck
    Sheryl Swoopes 1997 Pinnacle Inside the WNBA
    Zelmo Beaty 1971 Topps

• Options
    Yes

The 92 UD is card #1 At one time it was the non trade version for O'Neill
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Hi Basketball Guys I was wondering what card would be selected for Kyrie Irving if he would ever make it to the future HOF set? Hoops has been selected for multiple sets but I also know some like Prizm. I am not a basketball collector and was wondering what you guys thought. Thanks

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2019 12:49PM

Is it possible that this thread hasn't had a post in almost 3 years? Wow. Anyway, I noticed over the weekend that Nat Clifton was added to the HOF RCs set. This, of course, should not have happened because he was elected in 2014 as a contributor, not a player. Somehow he recently ended up in the HOF player category on the HOF website, and someone used that as ammunition to request him for the set...5 years after his election. This kind of stuff drives me bonkers. I've been in contact with the Set Registry crew, and I'm hoping this error gets corrected before anyone runs out and drops major coin on the Clifton.