Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Basketball HOF Rookies Thread###################################

Comments

• Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    The Webber 93 Finest would that be the Refractor version?
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    No, just the regular card. The refractor is considered a "parallel" issue and these are not accepted. (even if they are harder to find)

What would be the correct card for Duncan/McGrady....I was just looking through my cards and I have a Chrome McGrady and SP Duncan..image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Webber 93 Finest would that be the Refractor version? >>

No. PSA only uses the base card for these sets. A Webber 10 just went unsold for $9.99!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think we definitely need to add Chris Webber ('93 Finest) too. Career 20.7 points, 9.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 1.4 steals and 1.4 blocks. Can you say well rounded??? He compares VERY favorably to another forward who did it all, Pippen. 16.1-6.4-5.2-2.0-0.8. >>

While I agree with you wholeheartedly, you would have a difficult time getting that idea past most writers, much less average fans who underrate Webber (who has been the subject of a low level campaign of belittlement since his days at Michigan) and rather overrate Pippen.
  • Options

<< <i>What would be the correct card for Duncan/McGrady....I was just looking through my cards and I have a Chrome McGrady and SP Duncan.. >>

I'd day SP for both.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Going back to your question about that Lebron James 2002 Finest card - apparently that is a legit 2002 card. I decided to check the Lebron registry and sure enough, there are 3 different cards listed from '02 (one is the refractor version of the finest card). Let me see if I can link this thing correctly:

Lebron Registry
  • Options
    The Finest was a redemption card and the U.D. was limited to 499.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The Ripken analogy is not an exact one as Cal had a regular issue card in 1982 Topps and Payton did not have a 1990 Fleer regular issue. I like the 1990 Fleer Update, mostly to maintain the consistency of Fleer issues as key RC's until they are obviously not the best.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Just saw today that Webber will announce his retirement. Does he have the career credentials to join the HOF?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I say absolutely, just as I've said before. Check this out:

Who Knew?
    With Chris Webber's career ending, it's time to view his career in perspective. Webber is among a short list of legends to average 20 points, nine rebounds and four assists a game.
    Player Years Hall of Fame
    Kevin Garnett 1996-Present ?
    Chris Webber* 1993-2008 ?
    Larry Bird 1979-92 Yes
    Billy Cunningham 1965-76 Yes
    Wilt Chamberlain 1959-73 Yes
    Elgin Baylor 1958-72 Yes
    * -- 20.7 PPG, 9.8 RPG, 4.2 APG
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Shagrotn77 - My problem with Webber on that list is that he is clearly the worst player in the group. He barely qualifies under all of the criteria. If you change the criteria to 20 points, 10 rebounds and 4 assists, you only lose Webber (if you count Cunningham's ABA statistics).

Dave - While Webber's stats indicate a Hall of Famer I think his selection will take a while. In his favour are his points and rebounds per game as Andy mentioned.

As a positive but not overwhelming stat is the fact he has played in 5 all-star games and been selected to the All-NBA team first team once and second team 3 times.

On the negative side his play-off statistics are spotty and he does not have a big game player reputation. No appearances in the NBA finals also will hurt his cause in the eye of the voters. I believe he has only finished in the Top 5 in the MVP vote once.

• Options
    Those are the kinds of things that frustrate me. All Star games, MVP awards, a guy's reputation...those are all things that are nebulous and open to discussion. Things that are either voted on or subject to being built up on a subrosa basis over time, rather than quantifiable measurements of what a person actually did on the court. Webber has long had a problem with some writers and other media people and I have always been puzzled as to why. Plenty of other people who cover the NBA describe him as open and friendly but this rep has persisted.

Ask almost any NBA fan and they're as likely as not to describe him as a bad guy. Ask those same people about Karl Malone and he'll likely get glowing reviews, in spite of the fact that many of the league's players thought of him as a bully. An unquestionably talented one, but a bully nonetheless (much like Elvin Hays, who Karl always reminded me of.)

I don't want to start a fight with anyone who is a fan of Karl's (I'll candidly admit, I'm not), or even comparing the two players, as such, I'm simply trying to make a point. These kinds of perceptions play far too large a role in these questions, for my taste.
  • Options
    GDM67 - MVP voting and all-NBA team selections are something that is taken into significant consideration by the writers and voters. It does have some merit. Voting is done at the time by people that saw them play. Yes, they make mistakes, yes it is subjective, yes there can be biases but it holds a fair bit of weight and for the most part it is more accurate than not.

Webber's teams have seldom done well in the big games. As the best player on those teams his reputation takes a hit. I am not certain if that is fair but it is the reality and it will be considered by the voters.

When you look at Webber's stats it is hard to say he should have more appearances on the all-NBA teams or that his MVP votes were swayed by writers bias.
  • Options
    185. Calvin Murphy* 0.0333

Yeah...Right

HOF PROBABILITY
  • Options
    Webber is one of those guys where his stats look great and the passing of time will only help his cause. Yes, he was one of the better rounded big men of his time - the stats support that.

However, in addition to the issues already mentioned I think a couple other factors will hurt his chances. First, despite all the hype around him being the most prominent member of the Michigan Fab Five, let's not forget that Michigan had to forfeit all of those games because he accepted money from a booster. Plus he lied to the grand jury to try to cover it up.

As for his play on the court, I always felt he was a disappointment in his style of play. I know most people will say - what? Here is why: despite having the prototype size and body type for an NBA power forward, he never played like it. Think of Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, KG, these guys OWNED the paint, were willing to bang and could post up on anyone. Webber? Naw, he was content shooting 15 ft jumpers. Because of that tendency, I always thought he was soft. Also, how many times did Webber hit the big shot to win games? None of significance that I can remember. He seemed to not even want the ball in those situations.

Overall a great player, but I just cannot support the guy making the Hall.
  • Options

<< <i>185. Calvin Murphy* 0.0333

Yeah...Right

HOF PROBABILITY >>

He only made the all-star team one time?
    I would had assumed he had made several
    Statistics and accomplishments
    Height: 5'9"
    Inducted to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 1993.
    Jersey #23 retired by the Houston Rockets.
    Free Throw Percentage, All-Time - Tied for 3rd, 3445 of 3864 (89.2%)
    NBA Record: Highest Free Throw Percentage in a Season - 206 of 215 (95.8%) in 1980-1
    NBA Consecutive Free Throws Made - 3rd, 78 (December 27, 1980 - February 28, 1981) [9]
    NBA All-Rookie Team: 1971
    NBA All-Star Team: 1979
    Games played; 1,022
    Career points: 17,949 (17.9 points per game)
    Career steals: 1,165
    Career assists: 4,402 (4.4 apg)
    Career high points: 57 (against San Antonio Spurs, 1981)
    1000-point seasons: 11
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options

<< <i>GDM67 - MVP voting and all-NBA team selections are something that is taken into significant consideration by the writers and voters. It does have some merit. Voting is done at the time by people that saw them play. >>

And I don't completely discount it, but it's still based on opinions and impressions, and is thus subject to interpretation.

I'm not really arguing that Chris is an all time great, (although I do believe him to be clearly HOF caliber), simply that he's underappreciated and much of that has to do with a faulty impression about him personally. There are plenty of other players that is also true of. In fact, there are plenty of players who are recognized as all time greats who still have some nagging thing attached to their reputation which keeps them from getting proper credit.

• Options
    Calvin Murphy is another player that is in the Basketball Hall Of Fame based as much on his Prolific College career as his Pro accomplishments. I defintely do not like the way the voting for the Basketball HOF is currently structured but it does not appear that it will be changing anytime soon. I attached a chart of the TOP 10 NCAA Div. 1 Scoring AVG leaders Below.

Yrs Last Pts Avg
    Pete Maravich, LSU 3 1970 3,667 44.2
    Austin Carr, Notre Dame 3 1971 2,560 34.6
    Oscar Robertson, Cinn. 3 1960 2,973 33.8
    Calvin Murphy, Niagara 3 1970 2,548 33.1
    Dwight Lamar, SW La. 2 1973 1,862 32.7
    Frank Selvy, Furman 3 1954 2,538 32.5
    Rick Mount, Purdue 3 1970 2,323 32.3
    Darrell Floyd, Furman 3 1956 2,281 32.1
    Nick Werkman, Seton Hall 3 1964 2,273 32.0
    Willie Humes, Idaho St. 2 1971 1,510 31.5
  • Options

<< <i>I defintely do not like the way the voting for the Basketball HOF is currently structured but it does not appear that it will be changing anytime soon. >>

I completely agree. When Ralph Sampson is a finalist for the HOF (as he's been in the past) something's wrong. Murphy and Thompson would definitely not be in if not for their college exploits. Neither would Walton IMO. Given all of this, it begs the question as to why Adrian Dantley is still not in the HOF. He had both collegiate AND Olympic success, both on a high level, before joining the NBA and having a great career.

And, if not for his exploits in college, I don't think that Maravich guy would be in the HOF either!

Kidding of course image
  • Options
    << What would be the correct card for Duncan/McGrady....I was just looking through my cards and I have a Chrome McGrady and SP Duncan.. >>

<<I'd day SP for both.>>

Back to the earlier topic (I haven't read the thread in a few days) - I'd vote for either/or SP and Chrome. I'd do the same in 1998 although SP and Chrome values start to separate in 98. I like the Hockey Rookie HOF concept where multiple cards for the rookie year can be used.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    For Duncan, SP and Topps Chrome are close, so an either/or option would be a possibility there. But SP is CLEARLY McGrady's best rookie. It's not even close.
  • Options
    I'm fine with SP for McGrady and either or for Duncan.

I don't think the Fleer 88 Reggie Miller and Scottie Pippen have been mentioned but they ought to be included.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think the Fleer 88 Reggie Miller and Scottie Pippen have been mentioned but they ought to be included. >>

Absolutely.
  • Options
    I thought you guys might like to see my latest addition image:

• Options
    I had Miller and Pippen included in the first list I made.....

<< <i>72 Gilmore
    77 Dantley
    78 King
    78 DJ
    86 fleer Ewing, Jordan, Malone, Olajuwon, Mullin
    88 Fleer Pippen, Miller, Stockton ---Rodman??
    89 Hoops Robinson
    90 Skybox Payton
    92 UD Shaq
    92 UD Lisa Leslie, Sheryl Swoopes, Dawn Staley (uug....WNBA)
    94 Finest Kidd
    95 Finest Garnett
    96 Topps Chrome Iverson, Bryant, Nash -------Ray Allen????
    97 Pinnacle Cynthia Cooper
    97 Duncan, McGrady Topps Chrome vs. SP
    98 SP Nowitski, Carter
    99 ultra Holdsclaw
    03 James, Anthony, Wade.....I have no idea on their RC.??
    >>

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Once the new class is selected, I will edit this list and submit it to PSA. Looks like I need to add Webber. Any others you guys would want included?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Dave - From your original list I would add:

1971-72 Spencer Haywood

1980-81 Sidney Moncrief, Maurice Cheeks

1988-89 Dennis Rodman

1989-90 Mitch Richmond

1993-94 Chris Webber

1994-95 Grant Hill

1996-97 Ray Allen

1998-99 Paul Pierce

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I would add Dikembe Mutombo as a HOF possibility.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    It looks like we have all the possibilities spread over the last couple pages. Can someone put together a master list? I think it'd be a good idea to get a majority vote. Probably a good idea also to vote on players first, and then cards. We can open the vote for say 1-2 weeks? I don't think PSA will be adding any new sets until the end of next month, so there's no rush.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Chris Webber in the HOF? Are you guys kidding me? Have you seen basketball at all in the last 15 years? There's no doubt that he had the talent to produce a HOF career, but he missed a ton of games to injuries, was a horrendous crunch-time player (why was it that Bibby and Peja took all the Kings final shots when Webber was supposedly their best player?), and his teams never won much of anything except a few years where the Kings choked deep in the playoffs. His career isn't even close to Hall of Fame material even though he scored a few points.

He would've been much better off not being traded by Orlando and coming up with Shaq and building something in Orlando rather than playing Nellie Ball with Tim Hardaway.
  • Options
    Also, this being my first time reading this thread, the Basketball voters put very little faith in the stats like they do in BB and FB. That's why guys like Dantley and King haven't made it (although they should). It's more about guys who made their mark on the sport, which is why players like Sampson get serious consideration. I would add Mutombo to the list as mentioned- he was the most dominant defensive center of the modern era. Keep an eye on

Rasheed Wallace who is quickly making a name for himself as a team leader and one of the best basketball brains in the history of the game. It seems he's matured and his temper doesn't get the best of him like it used to (as much anyway). He probably won't get in because of being known for all the technicals, but he might if he can guide a team to the title. He's quietly put a solid career together, but needs some help over the next 5 years to get over the hump.
  • Options
    Webber had his shortcomings, no doubt, but Wallace over C Web??? Come on now. They played the same position and Webber's stats blow Wallace's away.

Webber
    20.7 Points 9.8 Rebounds 4.2 Assists 1.4 Blocks

Wallace
    15.3 Points 6.9 Rebounds 1.9 Assists 1.4 Blocks

I think Webber's assist total for a big man is his most impressive stat. And Wallace's low rebound total is his least impressive stat. I've heard and read a lot of anti Chris Webber sentiment since he retired, but his stats are most definitely there.

Should it matter that he never reach his full potential if his career was still really, really good?
  • Options
    Ok, Guys ... I think most of these are "no brainers"

In alphabetical order

Bryant, Kobe
    Dantley, Adrian
    Duncan, Tim
    Ewing, Patrick
    Garnett, Kevin
    Iverson, Allen
    Johnson, Dennis
    Jordan, Michael
    Kidd, Jason
    Malone, Karl
    McGrady, Tracy
    Miller, Reggie
    Nash, Steve
    Nowitski, Dirk
    Olajuwan, Akeem
    O'neal, Shaquille
    Payton, Gary
    Pippen, Scottie
    Robinson, David
    Stockton, John

And these are the other players mentioned that should be voted upon. Copy and paste this group and simply put a yes or no after their name. If you don't know enough about them, just leave it blank.

Allen, Ray
    Carter, Vince
    Cheeks, Maurice
    Cooper, Cynthia
    Davis, Walter
    Divac, Vlade
    Gilmore, Artis
    Guerin, Rich
    Haywood, Spencer
    Hill, Grant
    Holdsclaw, Chamique
    Johnson, Gus
    Jones, Bobby
    King, Bernard
    Lambier, Bill
    Leslie, Lisa
    Montcrief, Sidney
    Mullin, Chris
    Mutumbo, Dikembe
    Pierce, Paul
    Richmond, Mitch
    Rodman, Dennis
    Sabonis, Arvidas
    Sampson, Ralph
    Staley, Dawn
    Swoopes, Sheryl
    Walker, Chet
    Webber, Chris
    Wallace, Rasheed
    White, Jo Jo

If you disagree with anything thus far, let me know, I will not be offended if you tell me that Cynthia Cooper should be a "no-brainer".

Keep in mind that this is the "Basketball" HOF and not the NBA HOF. Some of the players you may ask """What!??" (Sabonis, Divac), but keep in mind their stellar International and college play.
    Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Allen, Ray - Yes
    Carter, Vince - Yes
    Cheeks, Maurice - No
    Cooper, Cynthia - Yes
    Davis, Walter - No
    Divac, Vlade - No
    Gilmore, Artis - Yes
    Guerin, Rich - No
    Haywood, Spencer - Yes (Though he will never make it)
    Hill, Grant - Yes
    Holdsclaw, Chamique - Yes
    Johnson, Gus - No
    Jones, Bobby - No
    King, Bernard - Yes
    Lambier, Bill - No
    Leslie, Lisa - Yes
    Montcrief, Sidney - No
    Mullin, Chris - Yes
    Mutumbo, Dikembe - No
    Pierce, Paul - Yes
    Richmond, Mitch - Yes
    Rodman, Dennis - No
    Sabonis, Arvidas - No
    Sampson, Ralph - No
    Staley, Dawn - No
    Swoopes, Sheryl - Yes
    Walker, Chet - Yes
    Webber, Chris - Yes
    Wallace, Rasheed - No
    White, Jo Jo - No
  • Options
    Allen, Ray - No
    Carter, Vince - No
    Cheeks, Maurice - No
    Cooper, Cynthia - Yes
    Davis, Walter - Yes
    Divac, Vlade - No
    Gilmore, Artis - Yes
    Guerin, Rich- Yes
    Haywood, Spencer - Yes
    Hill, Grant - No
    Holdsclaw, Chamique - No
    Johnson, Gus - No
    Jones, Bobby - No
    King, Bernard - No
    Lambier, Bill - *&^^% NO
    Leslie, Lisa - Yes
    Montcrief, Sidney - No
    Mullin, Chris - No
    Mutumbo, Dikembe - No
    Pierce, Paul - No (not yet, maybe after the Celtics win)
    Richmond, Mitch - No
    Rodman, Dennis - No
    Sabonis, Arvidas - Yes (what is his rookie card?)
    Sampson, Ralph - No
    Staley, Dawn - No
    Swoopes, Sheryl - Yes
    Walker, Chet - No
    Webber, Chris - No
    Wallace, Rasheed - Please No
    White, Jo Jo - No

I would add Steve Nash - with 2 MVPs he's going to get in
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
  • Options
    Woops - I missed that you already had Steve nash, must learn to read again......
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
  • Options
    Allen, Ray-no
    Carter, Vince-yes
    Cheeks, Maurice-yes
    Cooper, Cynthia-yes
    Davis, Walter-no
    Divac, Vlade-yes
    Gilmore, Artis-yes
    Guerin, Rich
    Haywood, Spencer-yes
    Hill, Grant-no
    Holdsclaw, Chamique-
    Johnson, Gus-
    Jones, Bobby-no
    King, Bernard-yes
    Lambier, Bill-no
    Leslie, Lisa-yes
    Montcrief, Sidney-yes
    Mullin, Chris-no
    Mutumbo, Dikembe-yes
    Pierce, Paul-no
    Richmond, Mitch-yes
    Rodman, Dennis-yes
    Sabonis, Arvidas-yes
    Sampson, Ralph-no
    Staley, Dawn-
    Swoopes, Sheryl-yes
    Walker, Chet-yes
    Webber, Chris-no
    Wallace, Rasheed-yes
    White, Jo Jo-yes
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    My vote is not who I think will or should get voted in but who should be included as a possible candidate:

Allen, Ray YES
    Carter, Vince YES
    Cheeks, Maurice YES
    Cooper, Cynthia YES
    Davis, Walter no
    Divac, Vlade no
    Gilmore, Artis YES
    Guerin, Rich no
    Haywood, Spencer YES
    Hill, Grant YES
    Holdsclaw, Chamique YES
    Johnson, Gus no
    Jones, Bobby no
    King, Bernard YES
    Lambier, Bill no
    Leslie, Lisa YES
    Montcrief, Sidney YES
    Mullin, Chris YES
    Mutumbo, Dikembe no
    Pierce, Paul YES
    Richmond, Mitch YES
    Rodman, Dennis YES
    Sabonis, Arvidas no
    Sampson, Ralph YES
    Staley, Dawn YES
    Swoopes, Sheryl YES
    Walker, Chet no
    Webber, Chris YES
    Wallace, Rasheed no
    White, Jo Jo YES
  • Options
    Guess I should vote also..

Allen, Ray - Yes
    Carter, Vince - Yes
    Cheeks, Maurice - No
    Cooper, Cynthia - Yes
    Davis, Walter - No
    Divac, Vlade - No
    Gilmore, Artis - Yes
    Guerin, Rich - Yes
    Haywood, Spencer - No
    Hill, Grant - No
    Johnson, Gus - No
    Jones, Bobby - No
    King, Bernard - Yes
    Lambier, Bill - No
    Leslie, Lisa - Yes
    Montcrief, Sidney - No
    Mullin, Chris - Yes
    Mutumbo, Dikembe - No
    Pierce, Paul - Yes
    Richmond, Mitch - No
    Rodman, Dennis - Yes
    Sabonis, Arvidas - Yes
    Sampson, Ralph - No
    Staley, Dawn - Yes
    Swoopes, Sheryl - Yes
    Walker, Chet - No
    Webber, Chris - No
    Wallace, Rasheed - No
    White, Jo Jo - No

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Allen, Ray yes
    Carter, Vince yes
    Cheeks, Maurice
    Cooper, Cynthia yes
    Davis, Walter
    Divac, Vlade
    Gilmore, Artis
    Guerin, Rich
    Haywood, Spencer yes
    Hill, Grant yes
    Holdsclaw, Chamique yes
    Johnson, Gus
    Jones, Bobby
    King, Bernard yes
    Lambier, Bill
    Leslie, Lisa yes
    Montcrief, Sidney
    Mullin, Chris yes
    Mutumbo, Dikembe yes
    Pierce, Paul
    Richmond, Mitch
    Rodman, Dennis yes
    Sabonis, Arvidas yes
    Sampson, Ralph
    Staley, Dawn
    Swoopes, Sheryl yes
    Walker, Chet
    Webber, Chris
    Wallace, Rasheed
    White, Jo Jo
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I didn't say Wallace would get in. I'm saying in 5 years, Wallace might have swayed people into thinking he's worthy. Andy, it's not a stats game.... at all. That's why you guys don't get who's in and who doesn't get the votes. The voters don't look at the stats to make their decisions and never will. It's who left their mark on the game, and every coach and media person in the league knows right now that Rasheed Wallace can physically run every play in the Pistons playbook from every position. That takes an unbelievable amount of basketball brainpower, and if he'd dedicated himself to this earlier in his career he'd be a mortal lock right now. He'll probably become a coach very shortly after he retires and be one of the better ones. All I'm saying is that he's got a shot if the next 5 years play out well, especially if he's the team leader of a team that gets a ring (see Ozzie Smith).

Webber will not get in because his career is considered by most basketball people to be a disappointment. He never appeared in a Finals, never picked up his team and carried them on his back in the playoffs, never took a clutch shot to win the big game, and was a #1 overall pick who got traded for a #3 and three #1 picks.

Also, Mutombo is pretty much a lock. So is Kidd.
  • Options
    Another NO Brainer is KARL MALONE.

Allen, Ray-No
    Carter, Vince-No
    Cheeks, Maurice-No
    Cooper, Cynthia-Yes
    Davis, Walter-No
    Divac, Vlade-No
    Gilmore, Artis-Yes (This guy has been overlooked more than DJ)
    Guerin, Rich-Yes (Good numbers for the era he played in)
    Haywood, Spencer-Yes
    Hill, Grant-No (Love his game But injuries killed him)
    Holdsclaw, Chamique-No
    Johnson, Gus-Yes (The most feared power forward of his era) Jones, Bobby-No
    King, Bernard-Yes
    Lambier, Bill-No
    Leslie, Lisa-Yes
    Montcrief, Sidney-Yes
    Mullin, Chris-No
    Mutumbo, Dikembe-No
    Pierce, Paul-No Richmond, Mitch-No
    Rodman, Dennis-Yes (That day I would travel to Springfield)
    Sabonis, Arvidas-Yes(Awesome International player)
    Sampson, Ralph-No
    Staley, Dawn-No
    Swoopes, Sheryl-Yes
    Walker, Chet-Yes
    Webber, Chris-Yes
    Wallace, Rasheed-No
    White, Jo Jo-No
  • Options

<< <i>Webber will not get in because his career is considered by most basketball people to be a disappointment. He never appeared in a Finals, never picked up his team and carried them on his back in the playoffs, never took a clutch shot to win the big game, and was a #1 overall pick who got traded for a #3 and three #1 picks. >>

I agree wholeheartedly. As I said in my earlier post on Webber, if you watched him play, he was SOFT. Never fought for the tough rebounds, wasn't willing to box out and couldn't get the clutch basket when it was needed.

Here's my votes:

Allen, Ray - Not yet
    Carter, Vince - Not yet
    Cheeks, Maurice - No
    Cooper, Cynthia - Yes
    Davis, Walter - No
    Divac, Vlade - No
    Gilmore, Artis - Yes
    Guerin, Rich - No
    Haywood, Spencer - No
    Hill, Grant - No
    Johnson, Gus - No
    Jones, Bobby - No
    King, Bernard - No
    Lambier, Bill - No
    Leslie, Lisa - Yes
    Montcrief, Sidney - No
    Mullin, Chris - Yes
    Mutumbo, Dikembe - If DJ gets in, YES. Otherwise, NO.
    Pierce, Paul - Not yet
    Richmond, Mitch - No
    Rodman, Dennis - Yes
    Sabonis, Arvidas - Yes (reluctantly)
    Sampson, Ralph - No
    Staley, Dawn - No
    Swoopes, Sheryl - Yes
    Walker, Chet - No
    Webber, Chris - NO!
    Wallace, Rasheed - No
    White, Jo Jo - No

Does anyone think we should agree to some sort of career stat threshold (total pts?) before adding guys to this list? I'm looking at some of the guys like Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Sheed, even McGrady - like Lee says, I think that the next 5 years or so will truly determine their chances of getting in. If their careers ended today, would they get voted in? I'd rather have this list be less inclusive if anything.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not been writting on these boards...but am doing the rc hof set.

Allen, Ray no
    Carter, Vince yes
    Cheeks, Maurice no
    Cooper, Cynthia yes
    Davis, Walter yes
    Divac, Vlade yes
    Gilmore, Artis yes
    Guerin, Rich maybe
    Haywood, Spencer yes
    Hill, Grant maybe
    Holdsclaw, Chamique yes
    Johnson, Gus no
    Jones, Bobby no
    King, Bernard yes
    Lambier, Bill no
    Leslie, Lisa yes
    Montcrief, Sidney yes
    Mullin, Chris no
    Mutumbo, Dikembe no
    Pierce, Paul maybe
    Richmond, Mitch maybe
    Rodman, Dennis no
    Sabonis, Arvidas yes
    Sampson, Ralph no
    Staley, Dawn
    Swoopes, Sheryl yes
    Walker, Chet yes
    Webber, Chris yes
    Wallace, Rasheed no
    White, Jo Jo yes
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>Another NO Brainer is KARL MALONE. >>

I had him on my list, I just forgot to type him in. I have edited my first list to include him....Nice catch..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Greg, are all your non votes no's or you don't know enough about them?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Sabonis would be 95 SP

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Allen, Ray ----- no
    Carter, Vince ----- no
    Cheeks, Maurice ----- no
    Cooper, Cynthia -----yes
    Davis, Walter ----- no
    Divac, Vlade ----- no
    Gilmore, Artis -----yes, although you would think he would already be in if it was going to happen
    Guerin, Rich ----- no
    Haywood, Spencer ----- no
    Hill, Grant ----- no
    Holdsclaw, Chamique----- no
    Johnson, Gus ----- no, very tough choice, I would elect him, but I don't think the voters will
    Jones, Bobby ----- no
    King, Bernard ----- no, tough choice again, a lot of numbers and coming back from injury was great
    Lambier, Bill ----- no
    Leslie, Lisa -----yes
    Montcrief, Sidney ----- no
    Mullin, Chris -----yes
    Mutumbo, Dikembe ----- no
    Pierce, Paul ----- no
    Richmond, Mitch ----- no
    Rodman, Dennis ----- no
    Sabonis, Arvidas -----yes as an international, would have loved to see him vs. Shaq in their primes
    Sampson, Ralph ----- no
    Staley, Dawn -----yes
    Swoopes, Sheryl -----yes
    Walker, Chet ----- no, very difficult choice as he was one of the best of his era.
    Webber, Chris ----- no
    Wallace, Rasheed ----- no
    White, Jo Jo ----- no

I said no on most of these players, because when it comes to the HOF, I think only the best of the best should get in. All of these players were (are) very good, but just not quite good enough. And I think I need to take a closer look at Chris Mullin. I voted yes because of his combined pro and college career, but if he was not elected I would not be shocked.
    Always looking for T59 Flags.
  • Options
    Here is the rundown after the ten of us voted.

10 votes
    Cooper, Cynthia
    Leslie, Lisa
    Swoopes, Sheryl

9 votes
    Gilmore, Artis

8 votes
    Sabonis, Arvidas

7 votes
    Haywood, Spencer
    King, Bernard

6 votes
    Carter, Vince
    Holdsclaw, Chamique
    Mullin, Chris
    Rodman, Dennis

5 votes-------------------------------CUT LINE______________________________

4 votes
    Allen, Ray
    Montcrief, Sidney
    Walker, Chet
    Webber, Chris

3 votes
    Guerin, Rich
    Hill, Grant
    Pierce, Paul
    Richmond, Mitch
    Staley, Dawn
    White, Jo Jo

2 votes
    Cheeks, Maurice
    Davis, Walter
    Divac, Vlade
    Mutumbo, Dikembe

1 vote
    Johnson, Gus
    Sampson, Ralph
    Wallace, Rasheed

0 votes
    Jones, Bobby
    Lambier, Bill

Any suprises??

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Here is the rundown after the ten of us voted.

10 votes
    Cooper, Cynthia
    Leslie, Lisa
    Swoopes, Sheryl

9 votes
    Gilmore, Artis

8 votes
    Sabonis, Arvidas

7 votes
    Haywood, Spencer
    King, Bernard

6 votes
    Carter, Vince
    Holdsclaw, Chamique
    Mullin, Chris
    Rodman, Dennis

5 votes-------------------------------CUT LINE______________________________

4 votes
    Allen, Ray
    Montcrief, Sidney
    Walker, Chet
    Webber, Chris

3 votes
    Guerin, Rich
    Hill, Grant
    Pierce, Paul
    Richmond, Mitch
    Staley, Dawn
    White, Jo Jo

2 votes
    Cheeks, Maurice
    Davis, Walter
    Divac, Vlade
    Mutumbo, Dikembe

1 vote
    Johnson, Gus
    Sampson, Ralph
    Wallace, Rasheed

0 votes
    Jones, Bobby
    Lambier, Bill

Any suprises?? >>

Just cant see why Rodman did not get more votes. I know he was out there but his resume is awesome,

Career awards and accomplishments
    5 time NBA Champion (1989 & 1990 (Detroit), 1996–98 (Chicago))
    All-NBA Third Team (1992, 1995)
    NBA All-Star Team (1990, 1992)
    NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award (1990, 1991)
    NBA All-Defensive First Team (1989–93, 1995, 1996)
    NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1994)
    NBA Top Rebounds Per Game (1992–98)
    NBA Top Rebound Rate (1991–98)
    NBA Top Total Rebounds (1992–94, 1998)
    NBA Top Offensive Rebounds (1991–94, 1996, 1997)
    NBA Top Defensive Rebounds (1992, 1994, 1998)
    NBA Top Field Goal Percentage (1989)

He would be a perfect candidate for Defense/Rebounding to be recognized as much as Scoring/Assists is in voting for the Hall. No one can debate that when he was on the floor his teams always had a chance to win.