Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Basketball HOF Rookies Thread###################################

Comments

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Nice Magic/Bird. I had to settle for an 8. Here is another one of my favorites.

Both the Barry and Erving are possible .5 bumps. The last Barry 9 went for over 1K I believe. I paid less than $100 for the Barry

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice Dave! Exceptional centering for a nororiously oc card. And what basketball collectionis complete without this card...

image >>

Great card man! image

I've always wanted one of these. I do autos, but I can appreciate a good vintage card from time to time. I mean, all these cards th3e guys are showing is very nice, but I have been wanting this card for some time. A psa mint 9 cost more than I could afford, so not know I guess. I would want a nice centered one like this one image

Giovanni
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice Dave! Exceptional centering for a nororiously oc card. And what basketball collectionis complete without this card...

image >>

Nice card! I had some of these as a kid, but, unfortunately, they became three cards instead of one!

Mark
  • Options
    LOL

Will they grade the Larry Bird piece alone? image

Giovanni
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Great cards, everybody.

This card was the first HOF rookie card I ever bought back in 1992 for $50 at an Atlanta mall show. Got it graded about 6 years later.

• Options
    I bought this card a few years later at a Canadian Expo show on the condition it graded a NM 7. It did. At the time my thought was to complete a Hall of Fame Boston Celtics set but I have since expanded on that.

• Options
    aro13,

Sweet grade and card!

This set is very hard to get an 8, and it was about time you got it graded image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Nice! That Cousy is even better, even with the 7 grade. This set is even harder to get 6's and up.

Giovanni
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    K.C. looks sharp with that little 'stache.

I was going to mention big Bob Lanier (who was a pretty important part of those Bucks teams.) I rooted for that team for a while, but the Cummings trade really put a dent in my enthusiasm.

I can't believe Bobby Jones isn't in the HOF.

Here's the alphabetical list of enshrinees.
  • Options
    This card along with my set is my pride and joy. Goodlieus 1948 Bowman Mikan
  • Options
    Art,

Sweet Mikan rookie you got there! image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Art - Awesome Mikan! I cannot think of a better basketball rookie card to own in PSA 8.
  • Options

<< <i>~"What were the total HOF'ers of the previous three teams mentioned? I almost forgot that Nellie was the coach of those teams, too"~

For the 10 years Moncrief played with the Bucks:

The Celtics had Bird, McHale, Parish, Cowens, Walton, Maravich, Archibald and coach K.C. Jones - really only Bird, McHale and Parish would be considered HOFers based on their play with the Celtics over that 10 year span. The others are in the Hall for their play elsewhere or for earlier in their career.

The Sixers had Erving, Malone, Barkley and coach Billy Cunningham.

The Lakers had Magic, Kareem, Worthy and Bob Mcadoo. With Mcadoo in the Hall for play outside of L.A.

The Bucks had Bob Lanier for three years at the end of his career and Dave Cowens and Tiny Archibald for abbreviated one year stints.

Average Wins per season over Moncrief's 10 years
    Celtics 59
    Lakers 59
    Sixers 54
    Bucks 52 >>

I am impressed by these stats. I dont know if he will get in but he certainly deserves consideration.GO Sidney
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know where I can track down a list of the yearly finalists? I'm really just looking for players only from the past 10 years or so.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Andy - You are probably going to have to do a bit of research. I have not been able to locate that information on any one site. The Hall of Fame site does not list the finalists. InsideHoops.com has the finalists listed for a few years but you have to search. According to that site Dantley has been a finalist in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Never fear. They'll probably select a couple referees or college women's coaches and skip over the sensible selections. image

My dark horse for current players with a decent chance at the Hall is Dikembe Mutombo. There's a pretty strong argument that he's the best defensive center since Russell.

BTW, I have a Rudy T rookie PSA 9(OC) available FS/FT. Centering meets PSA 7 standards for it IMO. PM me if you'd like pics.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Pistol Pete

Found this video on utube.

Thanks for starting this thread Dave.

Tom
  • Options
    This is one of my favorite Pistol Pete's videos. It was filmed after he retired and sadly you can physically see the change in him as his general health was getting bad. The wrist pass/"Watch your opponent Eat Air
  • Options
    Finalists are in boys:

2008 Finalists
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Well I've given up trying to figure how these mysterious people vote so I hope it works out as follows;
    Players; Olajuwon,Ewing,Dantly,DJ
    Coaches; Riley,Nellie
    Contributors; Vitale,Kerr
  • Options

<< <i>Well I've given up trying to figure how these mysterious people vote so I hope it works out as follows;
    Players; Olajuwon,Ewing,Dantly,DJ
    Coaches; Riley,Nellie
    Contributors; Vitale,Kerr >>

I'm with ya. Man oh man I hope Dantley gets his just due this year. And with DJ passing last year, I think he'll get a strong push. I think Mullin deserves it too, but he'll have to wait his turn. Obviously Olajuwon and Ewing are no brainers. Too bad PSA doesn't grade Star cards image
  • Options
    Anyone watch the AS game last night? Who playing is a lock for the HOF? Duncan, Iverson, Kobe, Lebron, Nash, Dirk, Wade, and Howard if he keeps improving?
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone watch the AS game last night? Who playing is a lock for the HOF? Duncan, Iverson, Kobe, Lebron, Nash, Dirk, Wade, and Howard if he keeps improving? >>

Active players who I consider stone cold locks are Shaq, Kobe, Iverson, Garnett, Duncan, Kidd and Nash. Very close are Dirk, R. Allen, Pierce, McGrady, Webber And VC. LeBron is well on his way, and Wade is not far behind, but they both have to have quite a few more productive years first. For Howard it's just WAY too early to tell.
  • Options
    Shag I am on the same page with you in regard to your picks of current players. Man I love Howard he is a throwback to those powerful centers from the past that were monsters in the paint on both Offense/Defense. I wish my sorry Knicks had him.
  • Options
    Speaking of current players who might end up in the HOF one day...I've been looking at picking up a few of these cards, but I'm confused as to which ones for some. The key rookies that appear in PSA sets now that there seems to be some descrepancies for are:

Tim Duncan (Topps Chrome, SP Authentic or Ultra?)
    Jason Kidd (Finest or SP?)
    Dirk Nowitzki (SP, SPX or Topps Chrome?)
    Vince Carter (SP or SPX?)
    LeBron James (Topps Chrome?)

PSA doesn't allow autograph, jersey, refractor or low production (less than say 900 or so) cards to be used in key rookie sets, so that eliminates a lot. But it seems that there are some cards being used in sets now that aren't really the key mainstream rookie. I know a lot of people like Topps Chrome, and it's a no brainer for Kobe, Iverson and Nash, but I'd rather stick with the most valuable mainstream rookie than to just put Topps Chrome cards in a set, such as All-Time Guards or Forwards.

What do you guys think about the 5 players mentioned above?
  • Options
    I like Topps more than UD products and so I lean towards the Topps Chrome (or Finest for Kidd) on your five. I'm not 100% on Kidd or Carter getting into the HOF - no championships and some baggage with each. Carter and McGrady are two guys that can score tons but never seem to win anything. Kidd has had some playoff success and maybe the trade to the Mavs will get him a ring.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    I would certainly say Ewing and Olajuwan are locks. It is fitting that they will go in together given that they started their battles in college for Georgetown and Houston and have been linked since that time.

I also wish PSA would grade Star cards. It would revitalize that market.

As for modern players I would agree with Andy's locks.

• Options

I also wish PSA would grade Star cards. It would revitalize that market.

Albie I don't think that will ever happen. Only GAI is currently doing any grading on the Star cards which really do get overlooked in our hobby. I felt the King of grading for these cards was the old/short lived SCD red label grading service. I still watch EBAY for these slabs. The real issue was when allegedly new owners at Star cranked up the presses years after the original sets came out producing a glut on the market that to this day (probably forever) killed the secondary market of Star cards. Really is a shame.

• Options
    Art - I have always thought the RED SCD did an excellent job of grading.

One player overlooked for HOF consideration for active players is Grant Hill. When you factor in his college career I think he will get in the Hall.
  • Options
    He certainly should.

As for Kidd and Carter, I agree that neither is a lock, but Jason probably has a better chance.

• Options

<< <i>Art - I have always thought the RED SCD did an excellent job of grading.

One player overlooked for HOF consideration for active players is Grant Hill. When you factor in his college career I think he will get in the Hall. >>

Grant Hill Is one of my favorite all around players who does it all. Injuries and illness throughout his career have really hurt him. But he is back playing with the Suns and looking pretty spry out there on the court.
    Bill Walton actually is the precedent for the College/Pro careers combined HOF status that you suggested. The Basketball Hall Of Fame is the only Hall Of Fame where this could occur because they factor all areas of Basketball competition into their selections. Personally I dont like it because unbelievable players like Adrian Dantley,Bernard King etc are sitting around waiting to be put in the Hall while International players and coaches are being elected every year. That format may have made sense in the past but the level of competition night in and out in the NBA is where the best players are by far. Another player that combined College/Pro career that would have to come before Grant Hill would be Ralph Sampson. Hey I wish the NBA would do the right thing ang create its own Hall Of Fame. The different levels of the game PRO/College/International/Women (Who by the way have established their own seperate HOF) should be honored on their own merits.
  • Options
    Art - I recently read where somebody suggested Ralph Sampson and after getting over my initial disbelief I realized he probably should be considered for the Hall, at least based on the current criteria.

Andy - Lebron James has 42 rookie cards. Without having looked at them all in too much depth, I believe that Topps Chrome is the most valuable non numbered, autographed etc. rookie card.
  • Options

<< <i>Art - I recently read where somebody suggested Ralph Sampson and after getting over my initial disbelief I realized he probably should be considered for the Hall, at least based on the current criteria.

This is why the system in place for HOF election is driving me crazy. This whole system needs a overhaul. Think about current players like Garnett,Kobe,James and other players who have no college experience and with out a doubt are HOF players. Than you have a player like a Sampson who at the professional level was a "good" player but was by no means at the level of the players I mentioned but based on his college achievements (3 time college player of the year) he is a "Hall Of Famer". There is something out of whack with this.
  • Options
    Sampson was actually a HOF finalist a few years ago. I'm all for factoring college in as sort of the icing on the cake, so to speak, but it can't be a 50-50 split or more. He in no way deserves to be in the HOF IMO.

Grant Hill, however, deserves serious consideration. He reminded me a lot of Scottie Pippen and Chris Webber in their primes in that they all did a little bit of everything. There aren't too many forwards that you can say that about.
  • Options

<< <i>Sampson was actually a HOF finalist a few years ago. I'm all for factoring college in as sort of the icing on the cake, so to speak, but it can't be a 50-50 split or more. He in no way deserves to be in the HOF IMO.

Grant Hill, however, deserves serious consideration. He reminded me a lot of Scottie Pippen and Chris Webber in their primes in that they all did a little bit of everything. There aren't too many forwards that you can say that about. >>

I agree with both your statements
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sampson was actually a HOF finalist a few years ago. I'm all for factoring college in as sort of the icing on the cake, so to speak, but it can't be a 50-50 split or more. He in no way deserves to be in the HOF IMO.

Grant Hill, however, deserves serious consideration. He reminded me a lot of Scottie Pippen and Chris Webber in their primes in that they all did a little bit of everything. There aren't too many forwards that you can say that about. >>

I agree with both your statements >>

So do I.

Ralph was supposed to be the next Kareem. Instead, he turned into the next Swen Nater.

• Options
    Does anyone know if Jason Kidd Finest rookies were issued with coating?
  • Options

Ralph was supposed to be the next Kareem. Instead, he turned into the next Swen Nater. >>

Swen Nater LOL theres a name I haven't heard in a while. Actually Bill Walton always said he was the toughest center he faced in college. (Practice at UCLA) As for Ralph he was a tall guy with a small forward game. It worked in college but not so well at the Pro level. Like I said he was not a bad player but defintely not a HOFer.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The coating could be removed from 1994 Finest cards. They were designed to protect the card until you wanted to see it really shine and took it off...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>The coating could be removed from 1994 Finest cards. They were designed to protect the card until you wanted to see it really shine and took it off... >>

And the cards with coating command a slight premium, correct?
  • Options
    My Kidd BGS 9 has the coating. I think I paid less than $10 for it on ebay. The Hill and Kidd from that year in SP and Finest seem to sell very poorly on ebay, at least in the MINT grades. The Gem Mint grade might be different.

Art - I do not want to be the defender of Ralph Sampson. With that said, his first three healthy years in the NBA put him on a Hall of Fame path. The fact that he could not stay healthy was his biggest problem.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Art - I do not want to be the defender of Ralph Sampson. With that said, his first three healthy years in the NBA put him on a Hall of Fame path. The fact that he could not stay healthy was his biggest problem. >>

Bill Walton made it and he only had like 4 strong years
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options

<< <i>Bill Walton made it and he only had like 4 strong years >>

Very true. And very undeserved if you ask me. I'm definitely not for putting marginal players in simply because similar marginal players somehow snuck in before them. Walton deserves the college HOF, not the pro HOF.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I believe this is true.

There is no eligible player in NBA history who has won an MVP award who is not in the HOF.

Also, Charles Barkley was the first MVP winner in history to retire without an NBA championship.

(Both of these are by my recollection, but I think they are true.)
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Walton made the TOP 50 Players in NBA history. That is really reaching. Walton had one dominant NBA season where he played more than 60 games. One. No question if/when he was healthy he was a top 50 player and had he been healthy he would be in the discussion of Top 5 or 6 centers of all-time. But there are a lot of players who would have been great had they not got injured.

gregmo - Nice stats, and I do believe they are correct. It looks like Barkley will soon be joined by Karl Malone as the only MVP to not win a championship.
  • Options
    Does anybody know what is stopping the NBA from having their own HOF?

Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options

<< <i>Does anybody know what is stopping the NBA from having their own HOF? >>

I think David Stern indicated once that it would be great to have it but the financial aspect of it would be exorbitant.

Another pet peeve of mine was Walton making the Top 50 list for all the same reasons stated above. If they were going to leave a MVP winner off it should have been him and not Bob McAdoo. To be totally honest at the time they picked it they probably should have left both of them off it and put Dominique Wilkins in. Hey Shaq also should not have been on it as he only had 4 years and no champioships or MVP'in the league at the time .. He was even shocked he was on the team.
  • Options

<< <i>I think David Stern indicated once that it would be great to have it but the financial aspect of it would be exorbitant. >>

That's extremely lame with a capital "E" if you ask me. With all the money floating around the NBA, you would think that they'd want a HOF to call their own.
  • Options
    Your probably right. Stern did pass the "ball" because he knows that the bottom line with the Owners is making more money and todays modern player could give a damn about NBA history and the players that built this league for them to make what their making.
  • Options
    I think most people who saw both Bill Walton and Ralph Sampson play believes there is no comparison. Walton was a far more dominating force. Winning the title probably put him over the top.

There is also the fact that the next year's Blazer team was even better, sailing along at a remarkable clip before he was injured. That impression is strong with a lot of people. Between his stellar college career and his briefly dominant phase in the NBA, I think he makes it, pretty easily.