Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Basketball HOF Rookies Thread###################################

Comments

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Are there any Star basketball experts or pseudo experts among us? If so, I've got a question for ya. Shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Andy
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    GDM67 - I am not arguing against Walton being in the Hall or that Sampson is remotely comparable. I do think, tough, that he is not a Top 50 NBA player based on his career. For one game at his peak he would easily be in the top 50 but for the entire body of work it is way too much of a reach.

shagrotn77 - I wonder if PSA did start grading the Star cards again if it would have an effect on the 86-87 Fleer rookie card prices.

<< <i>shagrotn77 - I wonder if PSA did start grading the Star cards again if it would have an effect on the 86-87 Fleer rookie card prices. >>

Good question. In a way I'm glad PSA doesn't grade them. They kinda fly under the radar and there's less concern about these scumbag card doctors cutting them up. With the size variances for Star cards, that could/would be a nightmare.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • how do you guys buy STAR cards? Do you rely on GAI? If you buy raw, do you buy only from trusted resources? or buy only when you can see the card first hand? I was interested in a few raw STAR jordans a few months ago on ebay...and didnt pull the trigger because of all that i heard about the large amount of counterfeits floating around.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GDM67 - I am not arguing against Walton being in the Hall or that Sampson is remotely comparable. I do think, tough, that he is not a Top 50 NBA player based on his career. For one game at his peak he would easily be in the top 50 but for the entire body of work it is way too much of a reach. >>

You could make a good case, (and you have), against him being in the Top 50. I'm still mad about Joe Dumars being omitted from that list, although his making the HOF took most of the sting of that away.

(This is all rather ironic because I really despised Bill Walton when he played. I've gotten to kind of like him because of his broadcasting work, which grates on most people's nerves.)
    MajorDanby - I bought most of my Star Company years ago. My most recent purchase was a 1985-86 Star Jordan in an SCD 8.5 holder. I would tend to stick to GAI or SCD graded for these cards, especially with the Jordan.

GDM67- I am curious why you think Dumars should be in the top 50. I would like to hear your reasoning. Since you are a Piston fan (I think)I would also like to hear your opinion on Dantley, Thomas, Aguirre and Rodman.
    I'm a Bad Boys era fan more than anything. I like the current team and enjoyed their title run a few years ago, but I don't have that deep level commitment to that team, or any other in the NBA these days.

I don't really have an organized, logical case to make for Joe, it's just a gut feeling (much like my HOF choices.) I remember Shaq saying at the time that he felt weird being on a list like that when Joe wasn't and suggesting that Joe should have gotten his spot.

As for those other guys, only Zeke is a real lock for the Top 50 list, but everyone else merits HOF induction, at least eventually.
  • If you fella's get a chance check out the amazing similarity between Dennis Johnson and Joe Dumars Stats in 14 year careers that they both had. This is just another reason Dennis should not only have been in the Hall for years now and most defintely should have gone in before Joe. As I say all the time who are these people voting? As far as Dennis the Menace Rodman is concerned he is without a doubt their worst nightmare. Could you just imagine his acceptance speech. I would drive to Springfield in a snowstom to be there for that. LOL
    I'm at a loss to understand Dennis' lack of support. People forget how good he was in Seattle and Phoenix, especially on those two teams that fought it out with the Bulletts in '78-9 and again in '79-80.

<< <i>I'm at a loss to understand Dennis' lack of support. People forget how good he was in Seattle and Phoenix, especially on those two teams that fought it out with the Bulletts in '78-9 and again in '79-80. >>

I really think this is his year. I just hope he doesn't get in at Dantley's expense. They both deserve it 110%.
    Here's one for all you Star basketball fans. Just arrived in the mail today! image
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool Card...I have never owned a Star card due to the issue of them being "reprinted".

FYI..........I just posted a ton of oddball basketball for sale on the BST board

Click Here.....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Andy - Awesome Ewing. The centering is outstanding for that card. Now, I really want PSA to go back to grading those cards.

GDM67 - I think DJ suffers from the fact that there are already 3 Celtics from his era in the Hall. I am not saying that is the way it should be, but I think that is why he has not yet been inducted.

ARt...Please contact me at davemri@yahoo.com...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • I've read since the big trade in several magazines that Jason Kidd is a 'lock' for the HOF -what do you guys think? No championships, wife baggage, 'trade me or else'....... Will that stuff keep him out?
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
    My opinion is that he will be a first ballot HOF'er.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Here's my first addition to the Registry set!

Mark

Mark - Awesome looking 4 and great centering!

ArtRossLives - His numbers indicate easy Hall of Famer. He has 5 first-team All-NBA selections and 4 first-team All-NBA defensive selections. Off the top of my head I think statistically he is the third best rebounding guard of all-time after Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson.
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    Kidd will get in but he will probably play a couple more years or more and than there is the 5 year wait before you can be nominated so thats a way off. Actually the Anonymous Nitwits who vote for the HOF should be able to actually get it right for the next few years as this year Ewing and Olajuwon are shoo-ins and in the following years The Admiral,Jordan,Karl Malone,Stockton and Pippen should be a no-brainer even for them. But hey they may again find a way to screw it up.
  • fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I know I'm a Cal homer, but I don't see how Kidd doesn't make it. In addition to the accolades previously mentioned, he is a winner and is easily one of the best PGs to ever play the game. Even though he never won a championship, he did get to the finals twice and look at the records of the teams he played on pre/post trade. Phoenix traded for Kidd during the '96-97 season in which they finished 40-42. The next year, they improved to 56-26. When the Suns swapped Kidd for Marbury in the offseason, compare where the teams ended up:

'00-01 Nets 26-56, Suns 51-31
    '01-02 Nets 52-30, Suns 36-46

Magic was always credited with making his teammates better but lets remember that he also had a couple of HOFer for teammates. Up until now, Kidd has not played with anyone who is considered a strong future HOFer. The best teammates have been a young Shawn Marion, Vince Carter and now Dirk Nowitzki. These guys could ultimately get there, but as of right I would say Carter and Marion are not quite on track. Dirk still needs to add to his resume but he has a good shot if he keeps it up.

Oh and Kidd passed Magic earlier this year in career rebounds.

Does anybody have one or know where I can find a 2002-2003 UD SuperStars City All-Stars Triple Jerseys card of Pedro Martinez, Tom Brady and Paul Pierce. I was going through a new Beckett and saw this card and would really like to add it to my collection.
    Andy, (or anyone else)...

Has there been a future HOF rc set for basketball submitted like other sports. If not, would that be something that interests you?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>Andy, (or anyone else)...

Has there been a future HOF rc set for basketball submitted like other sports. If not, would that be something that interests you?

Dave >>

Not as far as I know. If someone wants to submit one, that'd be cool. I'd be glad to help. Just keep in mind it will be several months before it goes live. Also, I think it would warrant some discussion in this thread about which modern cards to use in the set. I'm pretty solid on players/key rookie cards through '93. '94 is a little dicey between Finest and SP. And in '98 you have to choose between SP and SPX.

I'll put a list of players together and list it here a little later today.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree lets get a set going.......ok captain McGann let's get going on this right away !!!!
    on 94...I have been leaning toward finest...in evey way
    in 98....the SP

Is this set going to include any possible senior guys??? coaches??

That makes hockey next boys......
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

<< <i>on 94...I have been leaning toward finest...in evey way
    in 98....the SP >>

I like Finest better too, but if SP is valued higher, wouldn't that be the way to go? I'm not too familiar with SPX, but that also seems to be valued over SP (which I also like better). So if '94 SP and '98 SPX are valuable, and neither are auto/jersey/refractor cards with less than 999 issued, what's to keep those from being the key rookies? Football uses numbered cards in numerous sets. I'm not campaigning for these cards. I don't have any of them. I just want to make sure we get it right.

<< <i>Is this set going to include any possible senior guys??? coaches?? >>

No on the coaches. Senior guys I have no idea on.
    The debate over Finest vs SP is a tough one. When this was first released, the Finest was far more popular and in raw form, I think is still more valuable than the SP. However, when you are talking graded, the SP does have a higher SMR value.

Personally, I could argue from either direction but if I had to vote I would probably lean towards the Finest (purely from the popularity angle). At the same time, I think this goes against the choices made in the other HOF RC sets.
    I agree with the 95 finest. I was just looking at Garnett and the Finest brings much higher prices.

I also like the SP for 1998. I'll have to look at the prices realized to get a better idea.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Here is a list off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing some.

72 Gilmore
    77 Dantley
    78 King
    78 DJ
    86 fleer Ewing, Jordan, Malone, Olajuwon, Mullin
    88 Fleer Pippen, Miller, Stockton ---Rodman??
    89 Hoops Robinson
    90 Skybox Payton
    92 UD Shaq
    92 UD Lisa Leslie, Sheryl Swoopes, Dawn Staley (uug....WNBA)
    94 Finest Kidd
    95 Finest Garnett
    96 Topps Chrome Iverson, Bryant, Nash -------Ray Allen????
    97 Pinnacle Cynthia Cooper
    97 Duncan, McGrady Topps Chrome vs. SP
    98 SP Nowitski, Carter
    99 ultra Holdsclaw
    03 James, Anthony, Wade.....I have no idea on their RC.??

I'm clueless on some of the "newer" guys in the league.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    What's the story on this card? It is labeled 2002. Was it a redemtion or something? Would this be a good card to add? Like I said, I'm clueless when it comes to 2000 on.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Dave,
    I think your list looks pretty good. The only one I would recommend adding would be a '72 Topps Artis Gilmore (not sure how much other support I'll get on that).

As far as some of the more recent players are concerned, at what point does everyone consider them HOF worthy? For instance, while I am a big fan of Lebron I think it might be a bit premature to add him and some of the others to this set.
    Dave,
    I've gotta believe that is just a mechanical error on that flip

Greg

<< <i>I think your list looks pretty good. The only one I would recommend adding would be a '72 Topps Artis Gilmore (not sure how much other support I'll get on that). >>

Very good point. I agree and have added him to the list

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>Dave,
    I've gotta believe that is just a mechanical error on that flip

Greg >>

I just looked at the Pop report and it list's that 183 lebrons have been graded from the 02 finest set.....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    aw gees dave......omg !!!!!! DID U HAVE TO MENTION THE WOMAN. YIKES
    I just bought my 1st the other day for the regular set...lieberman. THey seem kinda hard to find actually...

on the garnett yes it would be the 95 finest. IMO but I think they were refering to the 94 kidd. My vote is finest.

bty even though lebron is so young...he seems well on his way. fastest ever to 10k points recently. Never saw that 2002 card. I'm not up on the newer stuff. I know most of his rc's are considered 2003. Most likely topps chrome will be the one. ????? does sp have a card that fits description this year?????

I totally agree on AG...he was fantastic. He needs to be included. maybe a 71 mel daniels also. yes i know the ABA has thier own hof...

the wade is already on a psa set..his topps chrome is the one chosen.

I'm not sure if rodman makes my list. Does a great rebounder only who was on the same team as jordan/pippen get in????? I would say no.

for some older guys....chet walker, gus johnson, guerrin is current senior finalist. was jo jo white good enough????
    from the 78 set also: how about walter davis, bernard king??????

75 bobby jones?????

and are the coaches going to be part of this set???

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

<< <i>aw gees dave......omg !!!!!! DID U HAVE TO MENTION THE WOMAN. YIKES
    I just bought my 1st the other day for the regular set...lieberman. THey seem kinda hard to find actually... >>

LOL...Yes the women are tough to find, but you have to admit, the ones I listed are most likely well on their way to the HOF. All mine were submitted my me.

<< <i>on the garnett yes it would be the 95 finest. IMO but I think they were refering to the 94 kidd. My vote is finest. >>

I read the year wrong. Does anyone have any prices realized for Kidd (SP vs finest) Too bad VCP does cover the 90's. I would also vote for the finest.

<< <i>the wade is already on a psa set..his topps chrome is the one chosen. >>

I didn't realize that. I guess someone has made the decision to be Chrome...

<< <i>I'm not sure if rodman makes my list. Does a great rebounder only who was on the same team as jordan/pippen get in????? I would say no.

for some older guys....chet walker, gus johnson, guerrin is current senior finalist. was jo jo white good enough????
    from the 78 set also: how about walter davis, bernard king??????

75 bobby jones?????
    >>

These are all open for debate and we can run a vote if need be...

<< <i>and are the coaches going to be part of this set??? >>

No, Just players....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    For Gary Payton, the key rookie would be Fleer Update, not Skybox. Fleer Update is (correctly) used for Payton in the All-Time Guards set. Petrovic's key rookie in the HOF rookies set is Skybox, but it should be Fleer Update. I actually e-mailed PSA to add the Fleer Update in as an either/or.

Mitch Richmond is a possibility. He has a high HOF probability on basketball-reference.com.
    That interesting.....I was the one that chose skybox over fleer update because, I thought that a regular issue card should be chosen over an update card. Do you have any prices realized for either of these? How much different is the price?

Is this like the seau for football? Supplemental chosen over the regular issue card? I can't say I agree with this...
    If that's the case, then why is the Ripken regular issue in the baseball HOF set over the Topps traded? Topps traded is definalty the "more valuable" card.

I didn't think PSA could do the either/or. Is that still the case?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    If there is a card like paytons that could be either..why not make it either then.
    hockey does that.....
    mitch richmond??? for the hof??? really
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    For Payton, I believe the raw Beckett price is the same for both the Skybox and the Fleer Update, but I have no idea on graded prices. I don't think these come up for sale frequently though.

My own personal vote would be for the Skybox RC because those boxes were the hottest thing when they were released while the basic Fleer set was only desireable because people were chasing for the Robinson Rookie Sensation inserts. The Fleer Update set was pretty much an after thought from my recollection.
    Payton did not have a regular Fleer card, so Fleer Update was his first Fleer issue. Fleer Update and Skybox Paytons do not have an SMR value as far as I know, but I remember F.U. being more valuable back in the day. Skybox, to me, are junk. They're ugly too image
    Here's the basketball-reference.com career HOF probability rankings:

Rankings
    Shag: I can't argue the ugly comment about the '90 Skybox - believe me, I'm with ya! However, even though the design was bad, it was the hottest basketball product of the year. I'm voting for the Skybox purely from the hobby impact standpoint.
    Pop report #'s on both the Skybox and Fleer Update are very similar for the Payton RCs. There are slightly more Skybox's that have been graded overall (584 vs 530) but fewer 10s (32 vs 40).
    To add to Dave's list I would definately include:

94 Finest Grant Hill
    98 SP Paul Pierce

I would also put Rodman on the list as a must.

Lebron's 2002 Finest is listed in Beckett along with an Upper Deck card as an XRC because I think they were redemptions that were available after the draft.
    I think we definitely need to add Chris Webber ('93 Finest) too. Career 20.7 points, 9.8 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 1.4 steals and 1.4 blocks. Can you say well rounded??? He compares VERY favorably to another forward who did it all, Pippen. 16.1-6.4-5.2-2.0-0.8.

As for Skybox, I collected basketball in '90 and I don't remember it being a hot commodity. We could either put this to a vote or use an either/or. But I do believe PSA got it right when they used Payton's Fleer Update card in the Guards set. I've always known it to be more valuable.

I guess we'll have to do the same for '94 SP/Finest (either/or, or put it to a vote). And does anyone know what the deal with '98 SPX is? Are they really that desirable? I remember '98 SP being the bomb and the clear cut cards to have from that year. I didn't even know about SPX until I looked at SMR values a few weeks back.
    Boy, I didn't even collect basketball in 1990 but I do remember these at a local card show being "the cards to get". People were going crazy over them. I dont remember a thing about any other basketball issues.

I had a friend that pulled an donruss elite Nolan ryan and traded it strait up for 1 box of series one and one box of series 2 skybox.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    I think the SPX just had a relatively limited distribution and not for the right reasons. When SPX was released in '96, it had a high price tag and really didn't go over all that well and I think that made UD keep the production #s relatively low in the following years. I'm guessing UD thought that with the success of the SP holoviews in 1994, that an all die-cut holoview card set would be a huge hit with collectors. WRONG!

Using my same train of thought as other issues, I can't see choosing SPX over the SP Authentic cards in '98 since the SP was so much more popular.
    In terms of the either/or thing Dave, the Hockey HOF Rookies set has a few. Fetisov ('90 UD/Score) is one. I guess if you have 2 cards of very similar value, it's a good compromise:

Hockey HOF RCs
    As long as the weighting is the same, I really like the either/or option
    When available I always like the either/or option for rookie cards.

I would agree that Webber should be added to the list.