Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Post Some Soccer rookies

Figured I would start a soccer thread since the World Cup is going on

Here are a few that I had scans of. I also have a Ronaldo mega craques in a psa 8, 85 panini Baggio, and 2008 Japanese panini Mario Balotelli that I haven't scanned yet

Pele 1958 Titulares

Maradona 1978 Crack Mundial

Messi, Bale, Neymar and Best

1966 Panini Beckenbauer. Just got this from Italy.
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Maradona part of the Crack set? Really? image
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice posts. I'll add some soon, as I've got a lot of old ones here. Also, I have 3 different Beckenbauer cards from 1965 that I have subbed to PSA which will eventually get added to the master set registry. The 1966 one you posted is one of many different sets to have a card of him from that year, but isn't a rookie.

My 1965 Beckenbauer rookies include:

Grossen Album-Sammlung - Bundesliga no. 259
    Lampo Perfetti - Grand Champions NNO
    Sicker-Verlag - Bundesliga no. 238

I've also heard rumor there is a 1965 Editrice Verbania and a 1965 Editorial Fher Beckenbauer, but I haven't found them (or proof of them) yet.

I don't have the majority of my soccer RC's scanned in yet, but here are a couple:

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I wasted money on the 66 panini and have to start searching for something from 65. 66 was the earliest in the pop report but I didn't do much research. Thanks for the info. Did psa agree to grade any of the 65s you have? It took a lot to get the Gol cards and Crack set approved but glad they are slabbed now
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

I have only subbed the 1965 Grossen Album-Sammlung - Bundesliga no. 259 once so far for an N9 result. Like you, I've had many, many items that received multiple N9's in a row before eventually getting graded. Not too long ago, I had seen a full complete album of that German set but the cost was high enough that I did not pick it up simply for the sake of scanning each page for the research dept. to include and therefore start grading them.

I have subbed the Lampo 3 or 4 times now with N9 each time. SGC will grade these cards. The Beckenbauer is from the same set as this graded Cassius Clay. The Clay is not mine, just one I happened to find on ebay. I usually print out the photos of front and back and include them w/ my sub to try to peer pressure PSA into grading it since others will. It has worked in the past for other items, just not this one yet. I also have a Eusebio from the same set.

I only very recently subbed the 1965 Sicker-Verlag but I'm pretty confident that one will come back with a grade on it the first time.

I think there were only about 4 or so different graded Beckenbauer items before I started the Master set and subbed all the new ones for inclusion. You know as well as I do that it takes a lot of N9's to build some of these more unique collections. I think I tripled the number of items on the Pele set too, though I'm still sitting on 20 or 30 different ones that have been N9'd multiple times and still haven't been graded yet.

i wish they would change the label on the titulares set. These are not handcut.. at least they don't appear to be hand cut to me.. and none of the cards for the brazilian albums that i have seen from that time period are hand cut so i dont see why these would be. Unfortunately i havent been able to find any scans of the packs or any other confirmation of how they were distributed.. Also i don't think the perfetti is from 95 or has anything to do with Lampo. I could be wrong but remember looking into that set when i saw the cassius clay. I think its from 1967

Likely that you're right about that Clay card; it's been a debated topic here before.

The other two Beckenbauer cards I mentioned have the year printed on back among the rest of the text.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice thread, eagles33. Nice cards, love the Pele and Maradona. I have only one soccer card. Very happy with the subgrades on it as I think Centering and Corners are the most important for my tastes. A very strong BGS 8.5 IMO. Got a pretty good deal on it from an eBay seller from China.

Steve
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any rookies but I'll never turn down an opportunity to post some Pele cards.

1965 Crack Golazo

1968 Crack (I always liked these. Remind me of the Butter Cream baseball cards from the 1930s)

1972 Superchapitas

1966 Maravillas

Also have a 1967 Crack Campeones but apparently I never scanned it.
    I also got mine from a seller from China. Mine was bgs 8.5 too.
  • stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    Cool pele cards. The 65 crack is a great card you never see. Is cassius clay in that set?
  • I'm reasonably sure that's the first sports card I've ever seen that depicts an athlete eating.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
    Clay is not in the 65 set. He's in the 66 Maravillas, 62-64 Crack, and 67 Crack though.

Funny thing is that there's a card in the 66 Maravillas set of IBHOFer "Fighting" Harada and he's shoveling ramen into his face on that one too. Not sure what the makers of that set had with athletes eating.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Mostly not rookies, but I think at least Clodoaldo is.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

<< <i>Mostly not rookies, but I think at least Clodoaldo is.

Nick >>

Those are in such good shape, they look like they could be the 1994 Panini World Cup Story reprints instead of the real 1970 Panini ones. Are they the green Italian backs, the red/black Multi-Language backs, or the Bisvalida backs (or, are they 1994 Story)?

<< <i>

<< <i>Mostly not rookies, but I think at least Clodoaldo is.

Nick >>

Those are in such good shape, they look like they could be the 1994 Panini World Cup Story reprints instead of the real 1970 Panini ones. Are they the green Italian backs, the red/black Multi-Language backs, or the Bisvalida backs (or, are they 1994 Story)? >>

Is that set from 1970? I thought it was from 1980 and the cards just said 1970 on them as like a "turn back the clock..." type tribute.
    RC, what you're describing happened a lot for the Panini cards so I understand where that idea came from. That front design pictured above definitely was a 1970 set in this case, with 3 different back variations. Additionally, the 1994 Panini World Cup Story set was a reissue of several different years of Panini World Cup sets, and included these 1970 front style cards as well.

Here is a link for what the 1994 'reprint' set looked like:

I'll post again with a scan of the 3 types of back issued in 1970 later.

Wow, learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Are there copyrights on them? All of the Argentinean sellers I've bought from or seen advertised them as a 1980 set. I think I actually have a Pele but don't think I scanned the back. Are some backs tougher than others?
  • Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    I believe some of the images used in the world cup story set are slightly different than ones used in the original sets as well. Helps when shopping because back scans aren't always available.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware that Panini had reprinted its own designs in 1994.
    I bought them from a seller in Europe who had a huge variety of Panini stickers from different sets over the decades as well as a smattering of unopened sticker packs.
    They're all black backs.
    I paid about $2 a sticker with shipping, so it's not a disaster for me.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

The front is the same image but the cards are smaller and the color is slightly varied. Also see the difference in the logo in the lower left. The font for the text on front is different on the 1994 re-issue too. The cards posted on this thread by NickM are definitely the 1994 World Cup Story set and not the 1970 cards of any of the 3 types (look at the font on his).

Here is a scan of side-by-side for a 1970 BisValida vs. a 1994 World Cup Story:

The cards are not from 1980. Panini stopped using the redemption Bisvalida backs several years before that, in 1973 I'm pretty sure. They were Valida in the 1960's before switching to Bisvalida.

All three 1970 backs, the green Italian, the black/red Multi-Language, and the Bisvalida have been just as easy as each other for me to find. Theoretically there should be less Bisvalida cards out there due to some being turned in for the redemption. All three types of 1970 have the same front and there is no way to tell which type it is just by looking at the front.

Also, you might notice this 1994 World Cup Story w/ a mech error listed as a PSA 1970 for sale. The real 1970 Panini World Cup ones did not have card numbers. The 1994 World Cup Story were numbered. The Pele from that set happens to be no. 38, same as the number for the Pele from the 1970 Anglo set. The 1970 Anglo looks nothing like the Panini cards. I've mentioned to the seller on multiple occasions that his card is a mech error but so far no luck convincing him to pull it and send it back for correction.
    Excellent info, Miwlvrn. Pretty sure the one I have is one of the reprinted ones. Came in a group of other cards I was after though so it didn't even factor in to my bidding.

So is the 1970 set futbol only? I'm pretty well versed in 60s/70s Panini from collecting boxing cards but had never seen this set in those searches so I'm assuming it wasn't a multisport set like they normally produced back then?

Yes, whichever your preferred translation, football/futbol/fussball/etc., it was a soccer-only set, not a multi-sport. Basically, the 1970 Panini - Mexico 70 World Cup set took the place of the traditionally named Panini Calciatori sets of the 1960's. The Calciatori sets were all unnumbered, and had both regular and Valida backs. This paralleled the concurrent Panini Campioni Dello Sport sets of the 1960's with which you are familiar due to their inclusion of the boxing cards. The Campioni Dello Sport sets were all numbered and multi-sport, and like the Calciatori sets had an Italian back and a Valida back. Throughout the 1960's and 70's, you'd find many times a player, such as Pele, would have a card in both the Calciatori set and the Campioni Dello Sport set from the same year. The 1970 ones were the first to offer the multi-language back as an option to just the Italian back though.

Thought I'd bump this thread back up by returning to adding Soccer RC's:

As for Thierry Henry, there are 3 different ones. Here are 2. I have the 3rd one as well, which is the 1997 Panini Los Mejores Equipos Europa no. 182, but it was subbed and pending grading at the moment. The other 2 are mislabeled by PSA and I still need to work with them to correct their errors made by the research dept. and population report on these. As you can tell, one is 1997 Panini - Foot 97 no. 195, and the other is 1997 Panini - Superfoot 1997-98 no. 137. Neither is 1997 Panini Football, and I am fairly certain a set by that name does not exist. For some inexplicable reason, these 2 different cards are labeled as being from the same set. Oh well, just 2 more in a big big box of mech errors I'm sending back soon.

• Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if these are rookies, but autographed cards of the US captain and coach:

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Jorgen Kristensen was a great Danish player in the '70s. This is not necessarily his rookie card but definitely his first sticker in 1978 Panini

He was one of the best players in American indoor soccer in the early '80s. This is his 1981-82 Wichita Wings game used jersey.

Still N9'd for now but eventually PSA will grade it:

1962 Anglo American Chewing Gum Ltd. - Coaching Secrets #65 Eusebio Ferreira Da Silva

• Charlie9Charlie9 Posts: 526 ✭✭
    Not a soccer guy but saw this thread and how Maradona had a Panini RC in Calciatori from 1979. I went to Italy around that time as a young teenager and wanting to feed my pack ripping habits was forced to buy soccer stickers while I was there. I know I still had them packed away somewhere and remembered the name Calciatori so after seeing some of the values of the Maradona I couldn't wait to get home from work last night and search through my childhood boxes to see if I could find them. Sure enough, I had two books filled with stickers and a couple hundred extras unpeeled as well as about 20-30 unopened packs.

Unfortunately they turned out to be from 1980-81. For you soccer guys out there, anybody worth looking for from those years?
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Nakata's J-card rookie. He also has a 1996 Calbee card.

• EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a soccer guy but saw this thread and how Maradona had a Panini RC in Calciatori from 1979. I went to Italy around that time as a young teenager and wanting to feed my pack ripping habits was forced to buy soccer stickers while I was there. I know I still had them packed away somewhere and remembered the name Calciatori so after seeing some of the values of the Maradona I couldn't wait to get home from work last night and search through my childhood boxes to see if I could find them. Sure enough, I had two books filled with stickers and a couple hundred extras unpeeled as well as about 20-30 unopened packs.

Unfortunately they turned out to be from 1980-81. For you soccer guys out there, anybody worth looking for from those years? >>

No. Send them all to me and I will dispose of them for you.

You're welcome.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
    In all seriousness - not really. I looked through a scan of the 1980-81 album, and the only names I recognized were Claudio Ranieri (Catanzaro) and Carlo Ancellotti (Roma). They were middling players, but went on to long managerial careers.

Both managed my favorite club (Chelsea), so if you have extras of those two, drop me a PM. I'd be glad to purchase them from you.
    My LSU Autographs

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092

In keeping with the Wichita Wings theme as started with the previous post, here's another from that team, this one of Andy Chapman who was a local favorite while he was playing in Detroit, along with Drago. Probably has some Arsenal card from the 1970's but this is the earliest one I have of him.

Can anyone provide details on the difference between 1960's Tarjeton vs. Crack Golazo? The two terms seem to be used interchangeably, though I would suspect incorrectly. My knowledge base is pretty good for most of the many Euro issues but I don't have nearly as much experience with vintage Argentinian cards from similar era.

Bump for Tarjeton/Crack question in the post above.
    I just got these in the mail from Argentina. They are both PSA 1 at best.. But I'll prob sub them anyways. I like the centering in this one over psa 2 that I have.

This is from the same set. I believe there were 40 charactercatures at the beginning of the album

Great pickups, nice work. Hey Diego, nice pacifier!

With all this Maradona stuff, it sounds like as good a time as any to put up my 2nd favorite George Best quote:

"Maradona good. Pele better. George Best."

<< <i>Bump for Tarjeton/Crack question in the post above. >>

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Great pickups, nice work. Hey Diego, nice pacifier!

With all this Maradona stuff, it sounds like as good a time as any to put up my 2nd favorite George Best quote:

"Maradona good. Pele better. George Best." >>

George Best's #1 quote:

"If i'd been born ugly you'd never have heard of Pele"
    +1 for Andy Chapman and Mike Stankovic. Saw them play many times in my youth.

Thread bump: 1969-70 Monty Gum - Eredivise

(I have the 1969-70 Vanderhout as well but it is stuck in an album and I haven't gotten around to removing it for subbing yet)

• Question from a guy who's just starting to collect soccer: what does "cracks" signify? I see the word on the maradona above, and European "mega cracks" seem to be popular.

<< <i>Question from a guy who's just starting to collect soccer: what does "cracks" signify? I see the word on the maradona above, and European "mega cracks" seem to be popular. >>

It's just a card brand.
    My LSU Autographs

Not the greatest example - but it was super cheap (<$10 delivered) and way nicer than the 1965 Panini Pele I had before (which was none.) I'm going to send it in, but I'm not going to expect more than a 3.

My LSU Autographs

Bump. I'm posting 3 of the 5 different Ferenc Puskas RC's I have. The 5 are:

1954 Boninger Feinschnitten - Fussball-Weltmeister 1954 #4
    1954 Kosmos-Zigarettenbilder - Deutsche Nationalelf Fussball-Weltmeister 1954 #16
    1954 Vogelsang-Tabak - Fussball Weltmeisterschaft #6
    1954 Vogelsang-Tabak - Fussball Weltmeisterschaft #55
    1954 Vogelsang-Tabak - Fussball Weltmeisterschaft #56