Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post Some Soccer rookies

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:
    Still researching whether this card represents Tommy Walker’s first appearance on a cigarette or trading card. It dates from a 1934 set which would be a year after he began playing for Hearts.

Jason

Not sure about a 1933 card, but I know he does have at least one more 1934 card for sure, as he was included in the set 1934 D.C. Thomson - Hunt The Cup

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

2007 Schalke team issue of Neuer.
    Kimmich first Bayern team issue. One signed in black. One signed in blue. Kind of like how that kid plays.

• Options

• Options
    edited December 31, 2020 1:40PM

2008 Neuer Schalke team issue.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Love that donavan rookie. I didn’t know about it. The 222 panini was really hard to track down. That was one of the few cards I sold that went for less than I expected.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

@eagles33 said:
    Love that donavan rookie. I didn’t know about it. The 222 panini was really hard to track down. That was one of the few cards I sold that went for less than I expected.

The photo they used on the front side of that Stadion one is kinda funny!

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

Not sure about a 1933 card, but I know he does have at least one more 1934 card for sure, as he was included in the set 1934 D.C. Thomson - Hunt The Cup

Thank you for the information!!!

Jason

• Options

@dad2cl3 said:

@miwlvrn said:

Thank you for the information!!!

Jason

I noticed someone has the Hunt the Cup card listed for sale at the moment. I'll send you the link in a PM.

• Options

Here it is, one of the absolute toughest soccer RC's in existence: a full complete Beckenbauer panel, including the entire white border all the way around the sheet. I've had this in my possession for several years, but finally got around to subbing it for grading back last spring, and the grading order arrived completed back today.

• Options

Regarding pele cards..I have a few off the Heinerle but there is glue on the back of 2. How do psa grade these

• Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@simon2010 said:
    Regarding pele cards..I have a few off the Heinerle but there is glue on the back of 2. How do psa grade these

I’d expect a PSA 1 for anything removed from an album. Think of the glue like a pinhole. Maybe some exceptions if, otherwise, the card’s super sharp? But submit assuming a 1.

Might be interested in one of those if you’re selling! ;)

• Options

My first SGC submission popped a couple days ago. Includes this!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Nice pop on that pele..congrats

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know nothing about soccer cards and had never heard of this player, but bought these from a company that has produced a couple of recent lacrosse sets. Apparently they are his first auto card and only 100 were produced. Thoughts?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

Neuer’s first card. 2005 Schalke team card, hand signed. Two years before his 2007 panini rookie sticker.

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

Which card is more valuable?

2003 Panini Sports Mega Craques #137 Cristiano Ronaldo Rookie Card – PSA GEM MT 10

2016-2017 Panini Noir Cristiano Ronaldo Spotlight card.

A 2003 Mega Craques sold for about $210,000 yesterday. Only just a year ago the Spotlight card probably would have sold for more. I am not sure though the new investors in the sports card market care about a Noir Spotlight card as much. They are looking for PSA 10 cards.

• Options

@JWBlue said:
    Which card is more valuable?

2003 Panini Sports Mega Craques #137 Cristiano Ronaldo Rookie Card – PSA GEM MT 10

2016-2017 Panini Noir Cristiano Ronaldo Spotlight card.

A 2003 Mega Craques sold for about $210,000 yesterday. Only just a year ago the Spotlight card probably would have sold for more. I am not sure though the new investors in the sports card market care about a Noir Spotlight card as much. They are looking for PSA 10 cards.

Where was the $210k sale? I'm not seeing it on completed auctions on either ebay or PSA sites.

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

Where was the $210k sale? I'm not seeing it on completed auctions on either ebay or PSA sites.

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=71633

• Options

@JWBlue said:

@miwlvrn said:

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=71633

Wow. That is absolutely unbelievable. Should be able to get them for $50k but I suppose not anymore.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    I know nothing about soccer cards and had never heard of this player, but bought these from a company that has produced a couple of recent lacrosse sets. Apparently they are his first auto card and only 100 were produced. Thoughts?

Signed with FC Salzburg of Austrian Bundesliga, kids got talent, definitely hold on to em!!

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to see a soccer thread....was keeping my stuff to myself ~getting ready to watch the Dortmund/Paderborn match this afternoon......and this young fella.... in his first Salzburg kit.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking for info on the below. I understand that Bravo Sport is a magazine and these perforated cards could be found inside. I recall that there BGS graded some but can’t pull up the eBay auction history where I remember seeing it.

Backs in order l to r

• Options

I had the one with green back graded by BGS. It’s 2017-18. My 8 sold for about 100 bucks a few months ago. Will prob sell for a few 100k now a days :)

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:
    I had the one with green back graded by BGS. It’s 2017-18. My 8 sold for about 100 bucks a few months ago. Will prob sell for a few 100k now a days :)

I thought the one that you had posted had a red/white jersey?

• Options

• Options

• Options

Always nice to see someone else collecting '60's Beckenbauer autos. Your second year one in the post above would look great in a dual auto flip & holder. You'd probably be looking at Auto grade NM-MT 8 / Card grade Poor 1. With cards removed from albums like these, I always feel like the Auto grade being high gives me a better overall feeling than just seeing it with a low grade for the card w/ Auto being deemed authentic.

Side note; this is a reminder to always get a back scan as (a) most mid '60's German cards have been removed from albums; and, (b) the 1966 Bergmann-Verlag will easily be confused with the 1965 one since the same photo was used on front.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Always nice to see someone else collecting '60's Beckenbauer autos. Your second year one in the post above would look great in a dual auto flip & holder. You'd probably be looking at Auto grade NM-MT 8 / Card grade Poor 1. With cards removed from albums like these, I always feel like the Auto grade being high gives me a better overall feeling than just seeing it with a low grade for the card w/ Auto being deemed authentic.

Side note; this is a reminder to always get a back scan as (a) most mid '60's German cards have been removed from albums; and, (b) the 1966 Bergmann-Verlag will easily be confused with the 1965 one since the same photo was used on front.

Thanks. I’m thinking of grading some. What is the value of a Gerd Muller 1965 Bergman card in the PSA 6 to 8 range ? I have a few I should send in, with that being one of them.

I just don’t want to send in now. Unless the muller has to be sent in under a faster turnaround time. I have no idea of values. I just buy the cards I like.

• Options

• Options

Not the best photos, but I believe I have a Sepp Maier and Gerd Muller rookie that are well centered and may grade very high.

• Options

Wow. I decided not to be lazy and see if I could find some prices myself. A PSA 3 Gerd Muller rookie sold for this ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-66-Bergmann-267-Gerd-Muller-PSA-3-Bundesliga-Rookie-RC-/373496692971?hash=item56f62340eb:g:FfcAAOSwKptgTS~3&amp;nma=true&amp;si=vQBgCXNG3Y%2B7Of4yfuM2tBmSGac%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;nordt=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Is this true ? Wow. May I never tell what I paid for mine.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Wow. I decided not to be lazy and see if I could find some prices myself. A PSA 3 Gerd Muller rookie sold for this ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-66-Bergmann-267-Gerd-Muller-PSA-3-Bundesliga-Rookie-RC-/373496692971?hash=item56f62340eb:g:FfcAAOSwKptgTS~3&amp;nma=true&amp;si=vQBgCXNG3Y%2B7Of4yfuM2tBmSGac%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;nordt=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Is this true ? Wow. May I never tell what I paid for mine.

It’s true. His rookie stuff has blown up, along with Beckenbauers. I have a couple clean 1965 Sicker-Verlag stamps of his and just one Bergmann that looks amazing on the front, brutal in the back. One of the stamps is at PSA right now. Not sure what I’m doing with the others.

It’s been fascinating watching vintage soccer surge. Started with Pele and Maradona, then started spreading to other all-time greats. Seemed like Cruyff, Platini, Eusebio, and Garrincha were the first next-tier-of-greatness guys to explode. I suspected Beckenbauer and Müller would follow quick and wish I’d picked up more! They’re definitely surging now. Curious who’s next. I feel like some UK legends (not Best...he’s already expensive...but Matthews and Charlton, for example) are underpriced and potentially poised for a leap, although they seem to be readily available, so maybe that holds them back?

• Options

The list of hot ones looks like this (in no particular order)

Pele
    Cruyff
    Maradona
    Eusebio
    Beckenbauer
    G.Muller
    Lev Jascin
    Garrincha
    Charlton
    George Best
    Bobby Moore
    Dixie Dean
    Stanley Matthews
    Jimmy Greaves
    Ferenc Puskas
    Alfredo Di Stefano
    Platini
    Zico
    Van Basten
    Zidane
    T.Henry

The next tier to catch up will be players such as:

Just Fontaine
    Ricardo Zamora
    Laszlo Kubala
    Sandor Kocsis
    Uwe Seeler
    Didi, Vava, Djalma Santos, Gilmar, Jairzinho, and the rest of the Brazilian supporting cast
    Denis Law
    Gordon Banks
    Billy Wright
    Dalglish
    Keegan
    Sepp Maier
    L.Figo

The biggest movers lately in the more modern era:
    Oliver Kahn
    Buffon
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Sergio Ramos
    Fernando Torres
    Romario
    Iker Casillas
    Maldini
    Baggio
    Eto'o

There are many more names I could add to this list but it gives you a basic idea of where the hobby is trending.

• Options

Finally found this at a decent price. I had $125 in Ebay bucks so it only cost me an extra $80 to get it from France to my home. It's a complete album.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2022 9:28AM

😎

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Keep an eye on this one.

• Options

I've been feeling like Chelsea's main sponsor, Three, makes for quite an odd distracting kit (shirt) design, since it conflicts with each player's number.

Good stuff though! I wish Pulisic could find a way to stay healthy.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    I've been feeling like Chelsea's main sponsor, Three, makes for quite an odd distracting kit (shirt) design, since it conflicts with each player's number.

Good stuff though! I wish Pulisic could find a way to stay healthy.

Agree. Love Chelsea but hate the current kits. The 3 is terrible.

• Options

Totally off the subject, but I listened to an interview of Toby Charles last night. It's on youtube. He was the announcer for Soccer Made in Germany that was aired in the US during the 1970's. He may be a little biased of course, but he said that Gerd Muller was the greatest striker he ever saw. He said his 66 goals in 62 games for Germany was just incredible. Yes, West Germany was good during that time, but to average over 1 goal per game for your country is just unheard of.

So I checked the internet to see if any other of the great scorers averaged over 1 goal per game for country, and I came up with these two names.

Kocsis (Hungary) over 1 per game
    Puskas (Hungary) was at 0.99

Notable is Christiano Ronaldo is at 0.60 and Pele is at 0.84

I always thought Gerd Muller was an incredible striker, perhaps the greatest of all time. It was nice to hear it
    come from Toby Charles as well. I always thought Marco Van Basten was the most technically gifted goal scorer. If you've
    ever seen the Van Basten compiliation on youtube, he scored some amazing goals. I wonder if Robert Lewandowski
    is in his class. I tend to think not, but that is open for debate.

Ok. Sorry to go off subject. Now back to just posting about cards.

• Options

Need to get my pele Heinerles into psa looking at all these cards

• Options
    simon2010simon2010 Posts: 76 ✭✭

I also got some heinerles

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited April 16, 2021 12:05PM

Found my Muller and Sepp Maier rookies. The Maier looks like in the 7 range. The Muller does as well, but it has a printing issue in the lower right corner. Not sure if I’m getting it graded. They are nice, stiff cards, and the centering on them is about as good as it gets.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2021 7:54PM

I spend so much effort getting PSA to learn enough about soccer cards to label them correctly, that it is frustrating when they label something wrong and then set off a chain of submission events that leads to several of them being in circulation with the wrong year, never to be corrected. Here is a 1980 Maradona someone has, mislabeled as a 1979, which makes it all the harder to get them right when more are subbed later due to this precedent.

https://ebay.com/itm/133644529714?hash=item1f1dd5b032%3Ag%3Ar7gAAOSwIlJf9-T3&nma=true&si=QGvre1PUz5UwceEXb0JvCj18Ghc%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Options

Just a heads up -- I've just started working for PSA as a part-time consultant, helping with the Soccer research team to correct long-standing issues/problems and standardize the set years. If anyone here has any specific information regarding specific cards/stickers and/or set(s) that have been labeled incorrectly or are otherwise problematic, please reach out. You can PM me here but I don't check in as often as I used to, so email would be better -- jcameron@med.miami.edu.

Best,
    Josh

• Options

Awesome news. Glad to have some knowledgeable folks join the research team. I’m quite sure 1958 Titulares cards are not hand cut but I was never able to find proof. Would love to read an SMR article about the Pele cards from 1957-1959.

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    Awesome news. Glad to have some knowledgeable folks join the research team. I’m quite sure 1958 Titulares cards are not hand cut but I was never able to find proof. Would love to read an SMR article about the Pele cards from 1957-1959.

If you find some proof, shoot me a message and can try and get it changed. For the SMR, I have no input there, though can make a suggestion -- perhaps an article regarding his 1957 issues, which most aren't aware of. Personally I only know of 2 (A. Americana Balas Futebol & Oliveira & Benassi Balas Equipe), though if anyone knows of other 1957 releases, would love to know.

• Options

@Dragnet said:
    Just a heads up -- I've just started working for PSA as a part-time consultant, helping with the Soccer research team to correct long-standing issues/problems and standardize the set years. If anyone here has any specific information regarding specific cards/stickers and/or set(s) that have been labeled incorrectly or are otherwise problematic, please reach out. You can PM me here but I don't check in as often as I used to, so email would be better -- jcameron@med.miami.edu.

Best,
    Josh

That sounds like a fun and useful position, Josh, congrats. I'm happy to help you out with any specific soccer identification for the specs dept. there too. BTW, Alan Jenkins' health is not great these days, so if you want to ask him (he is probably the most knowledgeable source out there) about any items, better do it sooner than later.