Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post Some Soccer rookies

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Wow. I did not know that Garrincha had a card from 1953. Earliest I knew of was 55. I learned of some 57 peels recently. I think the balas has maroon bordered if I’m remembering correctly. I started a thread a long time ago trying to document his potential rookie cards. That needs to be updated with the 1957 cards

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, sounds like you've obtained some serious cards & stickers! Wow!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    Wow, congrats on the PSA 8 1983 Van Basten! I think that card in that grade is in the conversation of what would constitute the top 10 highest value non-Jordan sports cards from the 1980's.

Haha, seriously? I know it has some serious value, and is about as scarce as they come, but I can't say I ever thought of it on that level... I just don't think he has the name recognition needed in what is, still, something of a niche division of card collecting.

Also, amazing score on the 1971 Zico; I'd love to see scans of that one some day!

Thanks! Once this one is slabbed, will try and post - along with the '53 Garrincha, since most people haven't seen either.

Agreed on the 1957 Pele cards having an insurmountable price barrier at this point.

There are several Jascin cards from 1958, but I'm also in agreement that somewhere out there, there have certainly got to be some older ones than that.

That Palirex card is a 1968 issue as opposed to 1967. I do own a Dutch-issued post card size Cruyff card from 1964-65, but I'm still looking for a standard sized one. There is also a 9.5" x 7" Ajax team card that was issued in 1967, but nothing of just him or in a reasonable holdering size from that year.

Yes, I'm aware of the "Postcard", which, like the disc cards, I don't collect. I'm hopeful something will come along...

What are you going with for Eusebio? There are several different ones from 1961. I've heard there might be a couple from 1960, but I'm still working on confirming that too.

For Eusebio I have the 1961 Francesa Estrelas dos Estadios. I'm actually the one responsible for getting PSA to recognize this and while they ultimately decided to label it 1961-62, I argued that it ought to be recognized as a 1960-61 issue (based on the other players in the album). I do believe there exists at least 1 other 1960-61 release, but I haven't yet had the desire to track it down and go through the process of verification with PSA, especially with this last occurrence.

• Options

Great stuff. Love hearing about new discoveries

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2020 10:58AM

I ended up sending the Bravo and Benfica to BGS and they slabbed them. I was expecting a 6 on the Bravo and an 8 on the Benfica. Pleased to see them in a slab though.

2017-18 Bravo Sport Fussball-Quartett Mega-Stars Kylian Mbappe 8

2015-16 PrePhoto Sports S.L. Benfica Caderneta Joao Felix 6

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been mentioning the 2004 #71 cracks Messi as one of the best investment ideas for a while, but I didn't realize that a PSA 9 had moved up to sales figures of $12,000, wow! (the sold one was not my card)

There is a flaw in PSA's website programming that has the auction sales figures displayed as the Buy-it-now list price instead of the best offer, and it comes in to play on the recent sale of a PSA 9 of this card. The website says $15,500

https://psacard.com/auctionprices/misc-cards/2004-panini-sports-mega-cracks/lionel-messi/auction/3822039

But the accepted offer was $12,000.

https://flippertools.com/tools/ebayOfferHistory/ebay-best-offer-actual-price.htm?itemId=264729773865

Regardless of the PSA auction records software code error, I am impressed that the escalation of this card seems to be exceeding even very optimistic expectations.

• Options

The soccer prices are crazy. I remember buying a few of the #71 panini for peanuts from a seller in Spain like 10 years ago before psa even started grading them for about 70 bucks shipped. One got a 9 and I sold it to board member for 500 bucks. Oops :). I kept an 8 and it ends tonight. I’m blown away by how much it’s going for. 2003 Ronaldo mega craques is also doing really well. I just hope I don’t regret selling and the card is 25k in another 10 years

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    The soccer prices are crazy. I remember buying a few of the #71 panini for peanuts from a seller in Spain like 10 years ago before psa even started grading them for about 70 bucks shipped. One got a 9 and I sold it to board member for 500 bucks. Oops :). I kept an 8 and it ends tonight. I’m blown away by how much it’s going for. 2003 Ronaldo mega craques is also doing really well. I just hope I don’t regret selling and the card is 25k in another 10 years

Agreed. I've got a good stash of Messi RC's and I am still planning on holding them for several more years at this point. I tried moving a couple 9's and 10's in a few of the other ones from 2004 (not the cracks one) last year through PWCC just to see how they'd do, and they ended up selling for notably less than I could have gotten if I had sold myself instead at that time, let alone how much more they're going for a year later. It was my first time using PWCC, but also will be my last as the sales prices were underwhelming. I really hope you do better with them today! I've got snipes set on a few of your items.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

What is the most reliable resource for list a player's rookie sticker/card? I want to splash around in this world and get some RCs/Key cards of my favorite players from the last two decades, but they are not all superstars and there are loads of variations out there. Any recommendations?

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:
    What is the most reliable resource for list a player's rookie sticker/card? I want to splash around in this world and get some RCs/Key cards of my favorite players from the last two decades, but they are not all superstars and there are loads of variations out there. Any recommendations?

Not sure that a list like this exists... your best bet would be the PSA pop report - search for the player and see what the earliest issue they've graded is.. also you can cross reference that with the players debut year and/or first year when they logged significant time on a professional club. If something seems amiss, then do a google search for the player and year, or search for albums for their league in a given year.

If all else fails, you can always come back here and ask, as someone is bound to know or be able to direct you.

Good luck!

• Options

@Dragnet said:

@miwlvrn said:
    Wow, congrats on the PSA 8 1983 Van Basten! I think that card in that grade is in the conversation of what would constitute the top 10 highest value non-Jordan sports cards from the 1980's.

Haha, seriously? I know it has some serious value, and is about as scarce as they come, but I can't say I ever thought of it on that level... I just don't think he has the name recognition needed in what is, still, something of a niche division of card collecting.

With the prices of soccer escalating as they have been, it is hard to think of a 1980's sports card besides Jordan that would sell for higher than that M.V.B. Might be time to put it up with a high BIN-OBO and see what offers roll in, as the sale could probably pay for your entire soccer collection easily enough.

There are soccer items I was paying 3 for a dollar 3 years ago that are going for over a thousand now. Some of this stuff is insane lately.

https://ebay.com/b/Soccer-Trading-Cards/183444/bn_2310830?LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_sop=16

Something looks fishy here though:

https://ebay.com/sch/supreme_bk/m.html?nordt=true&nma=true&hash=item21730084d8%3Ag%3AmAwAAOSwLXpfE00Z&item=143663334616&orig_cvip=true&si=%252FnM39%252Bh6258pOuA67bxRL%252FVywI8%253D&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ronaldo%2010&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
  • Options

It’s wild. I know it’s the most popular sport internationally so a big pool of buyers.... but never thought the prices would be this crazy

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    It’s wild. I know it’s the most popular sport internationally so a big pool of buyers.... but never thought the prices would be this crazy

I'm bummed that I sold one of my 1958 Alifabolaget PSA 7 Pele cards a couple years ago and it only brought in $6600 :(

Another by someone else is over $21k with a couple days to go.

• Options

I left a ton of money on the table when I sold a messi psa 9 for 500 bucks and a Pele Quigol psa 3 for about 700 about 5 years ago. Who would have guessed the price surge.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@eagles33 said:

I'm bummed that I sold one of my 1958 Alifabolaget PSA 7 Pele cards a couple years ago and it only brought in $6600 :(

Another by someone else is over $21k with a couple days to go.

Ouch. It went for $43,511. That one stings a bit. :#

• Options

Holy crap. That’s a huge price tag

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

I wont sell my Roberto Duran Rookie PSA 10 for less than 100k

• Options
    edited August 16, 2020 6:25PM

Well, the standard set recently by the PSA 7 Alifa Pele just helped push a sale of a PSA 8 for $75,000 (listed as $100k and B.O. accepted at $75k).

• Options

Incredible. Prices have gone bananas for everything... but soccer might take the cake. Pele were always valuable but nothing like this. You used to be able to get mega crack messi and ronaldo rookies from over seas sellers for less than 100 bucks. Those cards are also going for 5 figures in mint grades. A truely incredible run. Congrats to the guys that were ahead of the soccer curve. Their collections that might have been worth a grand or 2 7 years ago could be 6 figures.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I sold so many megacracks boxes packs and Messi’s but held onto some as well so I’m still happy about it...I had 4 cases of the wc prizm from 2014 and sold a couple years ago most of it...some of the Messi’s and Ronaldo’s I kept are at PSA right now...so all in all prolly get rid of 70-75 percent of my soccer goodies right before the explosion...I’m over it and just thankful I held onto some but I hear ya...geeez on prices.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

Wow, a 1991 PSA 8 Zidane went for $22,100 yesterday :o

• Options

Incredible.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

what company is it ?

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    Incredible. Prices have gone bananas for everything... but soccer might take the cake. Pele were always valuable but nothing like this. You used to be able to get mega crack messi and ronaldo rookies from over seas sellers for less than 100 bucks. Those cards are also going for 5 figures in mint grades. A truely incredible run. Congrats to the guys that were ahead of the soccer curve. Their collections that might have been worth a grand or 2 7 years ago could be 6 figures.

i dont think soccer collectors were in for the money

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@miwlvrn said:

what company is it ?

1991-92 Panini Foot '92

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

On a Facebook soccer collectors group someone is asking $50K for a CR7 2016-2017 Noir Spotlight.

• Options

2004 #71 Messi BGS 9.5 has gone from $16k at the start of the soccer boom in late June to now having multiple sales greater than $40k

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    2004 #71 Messi BGS 9.5 has gone from $16k at the start of the soccer boom in late June to now having multiple sales greater than $40k

It won't be much time at all before PSA 10 #71 Messi is selling for higher than a 1986 PSA 10 Fleer Jordan. I would have been laughed off the board for saying that a few months ago during the Last Dance boom. The Messi 9's are already going for higher than 9 Jordan in several private sales I'm aware of.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

Interesting that when I check Terapeak neither of the two $40k+ sales show as paid for...the highest sale showing was the $26,500 on 7/22...

Having said that, I am looking for a high grade one myself! :)

• Options

Soccer is going up in sales prices so quickly, that today I had my third instance in just the past two weeks where I tried to purchase something and then the seller canceled the transaction after I paid, claiming they lost the item but obviously it was because I paid what turned out to be too good a price. Has this been happening to any of you other Soccer item buyers?

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Have no idea if any of these are rookies, but the newspaper cards are from my childhood. The deal was, people were supposed to cut out the "card" from the newspaper and take it to a fire station to get the actual card. I don't know if this was a specific station, any one in Seattle or what. I was too young to care, plus I didn't care about soccer anyway. I liked cards though and keeping the newspaper cards was good enough. Finally, 40 years later, I obtained a full set of the actual cards not a week or more ago!

1980 Seattle Sounders FD set

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

I have that Sounders set too but it's interesting how they were distributed via a newspaper trade-in. A few of those players had pretty good careers in the old Major Indoor Soccer League. Mark Peterson played for the Tacoma Stars and Alan Hinton coached them. Mike Ivanow, Frank Barton and Jeff Bourne played for the Wichita Wings. (Bourne was my favorite player in the early 80s and was very popular with fans. He sadly died a few years ago.)

• Options

David Beckham's rookie cards have started to finally get some love. A 1996 Merlins PSA 9 sold for $1545 last week. (Interestingly a PSA 10 sold for $1500 two months ago so who knows what it may be now. Someone has one listed for $77,000 which is probably crazy but I guess anything is possible in this market.) Beckham's 1997 Upper Deck England PSA 9 also sold for $1400 a few weeks ago.

• Options
    edited September 12, 2020 12:48PM

Wow. That Beckham card used to be pretty easy to find and was like 15 bucks for a long time. I’m amazed at what soccer cards have done recently. I wish I stocked up on the key rookies when I had a chance.

I remember there were a ton of these available on eBay for 100 bucks back in the day
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/353173928775

• Options

There is a PSA 10 Mega Cracks Messi on PWCC that is up to over $61k with 3 days to go. Amazing how quickly these continue to rise.

(not my card, but I wish it was!)

• Options

Incredible.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    There is a PSA 10 Mega Cracks Messi on PWCC that is up to over $61k with 3 days to go. Amazing how quickly these continue to rise.

(not my card, but I wish it was!)

Well, it closed at $116,988. That's over $100k more than it would have sold for one year ago.

• Options

I know I say this in just about every post... but these prices are incredible. I remember buying these from sellers in spain for like 50 bucks. I should have bought way more. They weren’t exactly rare. I got a 9 and sold it for 500 bucks. And just bought another one that ended up getting an 8. I sure left a lot on the table. These prices are fun to watch for sure. I’m surprised maradona rookies from Argentina haven’t really picked up the way Pele, messi and ronaldo have.

• Options
    edited October 6, 2020 6:32AM

I think the chances are pretty low that anyone here might be considering purchasing one of these Harry Kane Auto+Jersey cards, but just in case, wanted to point out that two different sellers have the same card identified with the same serial number (9/25) listed for sale, with the same photos though cropped slightly differently. One way or another here, somebody is going to get scammed. I reported the double listing to ebay but they aren't doing anything. I requested additional view/angle photos from each seller and neither will produce them. Therefore, I suggest that none of the listings from either seller are trustworthy.

https://ebay.com/itm/Harry-Kane-2015-Panini-Select-9-25-Jersey-No-Jersey-Autograph-England/333707529242?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3Dfa28595cd99c453caeb67a4b240981d2%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D154121786315%26itm%3D333707529242%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

https://ebay.com/itm/Harry-Kane-Autograph-Panini-2015-Soccer-England-English-NM-EX-Select-Jersey-25/372866029788?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818142525%26meid%3D8f505b4a08074f048ab6f0d6cc5230a0%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D333707529242%26itm%3D372866029788%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedHeart54 said:
    David Beckham's rookie cards have started to finally get some love. A 1996 Merlins PSA 9 sold for $1545 last week. (Interestingly a PSA 10 sold for $1500 two months ago so who knows what it may be now. Someone has one listed for $77,000 which is probably crazy but I guess anything is possible in this market.) Beckham's 1997 Upper Deck England PSA 9 also sold for $1400 a few weeks ago.

That's crazy, last I'd checked the Merlin's were barely worth listing and made it in my "maybe someday" box. This post made me dig two of them out from my box rip a couple years back and they're currently awaiting loggage. Neither is 9 or 10 worthy, but at these prices it doesn't really matter now.

• Options

One annoying thing about Merlins is PSA has labeled the card with 1996 and 1997 designations and thus the card has two separate pop reports even though it's the same card.

• Options

Couldn't resist picking up a sealed 2004 Futera box that was available. Has anyone here ever ripped a Futera box of any year and had much luck?

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

2010 Lewandowski Dortmund team issue rookie card signed. Will eventually get it to PSA.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    2010 Lewandowski Dortmund team issue rookie card signed. Will eventually get it to PSA.

This is not a rookie but instead was issued a couple years after his RC's; however, it is a really nice item and I enjoyed seeing your pics.

• Options

After quite a long hunt, I finally harpooned a whale that I did not expect to be much of a whale when I first started searching.

2002 Czech Stadion World Stars 460 Landon Donovan

There are 10 different 2002 Landon Donovan RC's. Here is the list in order of scarcest to most common:

2002 Czech Stadion - World Stars 460

2002 Panini - Panini's Football 2003 222

2002 Onze Mondial

2002 Panini - World Cup Korea/Japan - Japan Edition 149

2002 Panini - Road to the FIFA World Cup 110

2002 Panini - World Cup Korea/Japan Stickers - Blue Back 291

2002 Sports Illustrated - SI for Kids 137

2002 Panini - World Cup Korea/Japan - USA Exclusives U26

2002 Panini - World Cup Korea/Japan 118

2002 Panini - World Cup Korea/Japan Stickers - Black Back 291

• Options

P.S., sorry about the super dusty scan. I always clean my scanner bed when getting images that I'll use for selling, but I often skip that step when I'm grabbing a quick pic for something like this. All the 'snow' in the image above is dust between the glass and holder, not on the card.

• Options

Here's another tough soccer RC I've picked up. It is the only 1954 Djalma Santos card I've been able to find in-hand so far. There are a couple others in some of the 1954 German sets that I don't have yet.

1954 Kiddy-Kaugummi - Fussball Weltmeisterschaft 1954 #56 - Carlos Jose Castilho / Nilton Santos / Djalma Santos / Jozsef Toth

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Still researching whether this card represents Tommy Walker’s first appearance on a cigarette or trading card. It dates from a 1934 set which would be a year after he began playing for Hearts.

Jason