Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Post Some Soccer rookies

Comments

• Ethan, did you ever get back that 65 panini Pele? What grade? Got a scan?
  • Continuing the 1954 Puskas theme... I've got a small sub ready to go that includes this 1954 A & BC Chewing Gum All Sport Series #54

It doesn't show well in this scan, but there's an impression in the white border above the words "Presented by". It looks as though the edge of the card was caught in a crimping or sealing machine or something

I'm also including this 1965 Bergmann Gerd Muller which will most likely be N9'd, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got several of the 1965 Bergmann's subbed too. This time I sent them links to sites w/ the entire album, all cards, and checklist scanned in, so I expect they'll begin grading them now, even though I've had them N9'd in the past.
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ethan, did you ever get back that 65 panini Pele? What grade? Got a scan? >>

A blazing 1.

Waaaaaaaamp waaaaaaaahhhhh. Oh well - I still really like the card.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.

• << <i>

<< <i>Ethan, did you ever get back that 65 panini Pele? What grade? Got a scan? >>

A blazing 1.

Waaaaaaaamp waaaaaaaahhhhh. Oh well - I still really like the card. >>

Yes, very cool!
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone provide details on the difference between 1960's Tarjeton vs. Crack Golazo? The two terms seem to be used interchangeably, though I would suspect incorrectly. My knowledge base is pretty good for most of the many Euro issues but I don't have nearly as much experience with vintage Argentinian cards from similar era. >>

Tarjeton is just a term used to describe the cards. Figurita is also a term used to describe the cards but typically misused. Technically, tarjetons are the cards (rectangular, like we're used to in the States) and figuritas are circular or die cut. It was typical for sets to contain both, so a pack would contain, say, 5 figuritas and 1 tarjeton. Some albums made space for the tarjetons but many that I've seen didn't. Figuritas were the predominant shape in the 1930s-1960s. They could be printed on card stock, just usually circular in shape.

Crack Golazo is the name of a set. Like we would say Fleer Ultra. Crack is the manufacturer and Golazo would be the name of the set. They would, on occasion, use the same set name in different years but it's not common. There are multiple years when Crack used the name Golazo for their specific futbol release.

Keep in mind, Argentina sellers have virtually no reference point when selling. It's not like here in the States where everyone goes to extremes to categorize and classify everything. Things just get lumped into broad terminology due to inexperience, lack of available information, and lack of a demand for specific information. There's no malice involved and, for the most part, they're extremely friendly and open if you contact them with specific questions. If you can find a copy of Malditas Difficiles it will help. It's the only book I'm aware of that attempts to categorize the numerous (and I do mean numerous) yearly issues from Argentina. But be aware that terms get thrown around loosely so do your own homework and be sure of what you're buying. I'm not saying that you could be scammed, just that the person you're speaking with may have no idea what they're talking about. I've made 100+ purchases from Argentina and always received my items.

ETA: to elaborate, Crack's 1956 futbol release is called "Gigante de Figuritas Sport," in 1965 it's "Golzao," in 1967 it's "Campeon," and so forth.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I think this is the extent of my futbol collection!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>

<< <i>Can anyone provide details on the difference between 1960's Tarjeton vs. Crack Golazo? The two terms seem to be used interchangeably, though I would suspect incorrectly. My knowledge base is pretty good for most of the many Euro issues but I don't have nearly as much experience with vintage Argentinian cards from similar era. >>

Tarjeton is just a term used to describe the cards. Figurita is also a term used to describe the cards but typically misused. Technically, tarjetons are the cards (rectangular, like we're used to in the States) and figuritas are circular or die cut. It was typical for sets to contain both, so a pack would contain, say, 5 figuritas and 1 tarjeton. Some albums made space for the tarjetons but many that I've seen didn't. Figuritas were the predominant shape in the 1930s-1960s. They could be printed on card stock, just usually circular in shape.

Crack Golazo is the name of a set. Like we would say Fleer Ultra. Crack is the manufacturer and Golazo would be the name of the set. They would, on occasion, use the same set name in different years but it's not common. There are multiple years when Crack used the name Golazo for their specific futbol release.

Keep in mind, Argentina sellers have virtually no reference point when selling. It's not like here in the States where everyone goes to extremes to categorize and classify everything. Things just get lumped into broad terminology due to inexperience, lack of available information, and lack of a demand for specific information. There's no malice involved and, for the most part, they're extremely friendly and open if you contact them with specific questions. If you can find a copy of Malditas Difficiles it will help. It's the only book I'm aware of that attempts to categorize the numerous (and I do mean numerous) yearly issues from Argentina. But be aware that terms get thrown around loosely so do your own homework and be sure of what you're buying. I'm not saying that you could be scammed, just that the person you're speaking with may have no idea what they're talking about. I've made 100+ purchases from Argentina and always received my items.

ETA: to elaborate, Crack's 1956 futbol release is called "Gigante de Figuritas Sport," in 1965 it's "Golzao," in 1967 it's "Campeon," and so forth. >>

Thank you, I do appreciate all this info!
  • If cracks is a brand and panini is a brand, where does the name panini mega cracks come from? I'm still not clear on that.

<< <i>If cracks is a brand and panini is a brand, where does the name panini mega cracks come from? I'm still not clear on that. >>

Cracks is a vintage brand from Argentina. Mega Cracks & Mega Craques are regionally distributed modern brands owned by Panini, similar to how for example Upper Deck puts out cards under the sub-names of O-Pee-Chee, MVP, Victory, etc. I don't believe Argentina Cracks was ever associated in any way with Spanish or Portuguese Mega Cracks/Craques.

• << <i>

<< <i>If cracks is a brand and panini is a brand, where does the name panini mega cracks come from? I'm still not clear on that. >>

Cracks is a vintage brand from Argentina. Mega Cracks & Mega Craques are regionally distributed modern brands owned by Panini, similar to how for example Upper Deck puts out cards under the sub-names of O-Pee-Chee, MVP, Victory, etc. I don't believe Argentina Cracks was ever associated in any way with Spanish or Portuguese Mega Cracks/Craques. >>

So it's sort of a tribute to the old brand?

Not certain, but pretty sure the Argentina Cracks was independent of the others, so not a tribute in this case.

Argentina Crack is singular, not Cracks. Sorry, OCD.

<< <i>Argentina Crack is singular, not Cracks. Sorry, OCD. >>

Absolutely correct, sorry about the typos!

No worries. I know I'm not going to fight to try to get my cards into slabs so I figure I should at least help those that will.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    It took a lot to get the 1978 Maradona in a slab. I provided PSA with scans of the album ect.. And it wasn't enough. It took a few tries but it finally found its way into a holder. I would love to convince Psa to remove the hand cut notation on the titulares slab. If anyone has any info please let me know. I'm also looking for a clear scan of the this page in the 1978 Argentina Campeon Libro De Estampas album. I'm trying to figure out what number the Maradona card is. The card is blank back but I think the spot in the album is numbered like the 1078 Crack album

Here is the card

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

PSA has been labeling the 1967 Crack set (that looks like comic art) as 1967 Figuritas Sport.

As of very recently, they seem to have started labeling the 1968 Crack set (check out the tall & skinny dimension Pele posted on the first page of this thread for an example) as 1968 Figuritas Sport, as discussed in this thread.

Yeah, their 1962 Po-Po boxing discs are not necessarily 1962 or a Po-Po product.

Worst part is that it's virtually impossible to get them to change their labeling once they're started so there are significant boxing card sets that will forever be misdated and mislabeled.
    Anyone have info on that 1978 album?
    Thanks
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

<< <i>Anyone have info on that 1978 album?
    Thanks >>

I stumble across scans of the pages from time to time, and have bumped into a picture or two of the original card packs wrappers too, but I don't have any other distribution info beyond what is visible in the text of the album scans.
    Could you tell if there are numbers on the spots on the album? The scans I have came accross aren't clear enough to make out any of the writing.

First Donovan retires, and just a short time later now we have Thierry Henry and DaMarcus Beasley retiring at the same time as each other. None of these came of big surprise, but still, it's noticeable when some long-time familiar names are out of the game.

• As a loyal Gunner, I found the news about Henry particularly poignant. I am sure there will be a place for him somewhere in the organization, but it's hard to imagine anything that would rival his contributions on the pitch. I spent some time this morning watching his many highlight reels. What I (and I bet Wenger) wouldn't give to have him back in his prime...

It also highlights a glaring omission in my collection. I have been looking for a mint Panini Fut97 Henry for quite a while with no luck. Time to redouble those efforts.

• << <i>I've got several of the 1965 Bergmann's subbed too. This time I sent them links to sites w/ the entire album, all cards, and checklist scanned in, so I expect they'll begin grading them now, even though I've had them N9'd in the past. >>

My submission popped yesterday, and the Bergmann Gerd Muller I posted here recently was slabbed. I included links to this site and this specific page with my sub. It only managed a 2 which was slightly disappointing, but its progress.

<< <i>

<< <i>I've got several of the 1965 Bergmann's subbed too. This time I sent them links to sites w/ the entire album, all cards, and checklist scanned in, so I expect they'll begin grading them now, even though I've had them N9'd in the past. >>

My submission popped yesterday, and the Bergmann Gerd Muller I posted here recently was slabbed. I included links to this site and this specific page with my sub. It only managed a 2 which was slightly disappointing, but its progress. >>

Good work on your sub form. That is exactly what I do to get new items slabbed, and it has been working well. I've used that site you linked for several subs, as they have a lot of good info on the Bergmann sets.

• What can you guys tell me about the 1939 Churchmans cards?
  • I'm guessing you're talking about the Association Footballers (2nd Series)?

If so, here's a little info...
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What can you guys tell me about the 1939 Churchmans cards? >>

Not sure on soccer specifically, but in general the 20s & 30s Churchman issues aren't difficult to find in mid-grade for any of the 'small' (tobacco-size) issues and complete sets can be picked up quite reasonably for their age. If there is a 'large' (square-shaped) paralell they're much more difficult to find and pricing usually reflects it.
  • Thanks guys. I found some for sale for a couple bucks each and couldn't believe they were so cheap. Sounds like that's typical.
    I got this Slabbed by BGS today. Hopefully I can eventually cross over to psa.

8485535 Soccer 1978 Argentina Champion Stickers Diego Maradona 1.5

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! I love these cards you are finding!!

<< <i>I got this Slabbed by BGS today. Hopefully I can eventually cross over to psa.

8485535 Soccer 1978 Argentina Champion Stickers Diego Maradona 1.5

Here is the card raw

image >>

Nice card and a big congrats on getting it in a slab. Wonder how long it will be before PSA finally agrees to do the same?

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the look of this Maradona card! Congrats!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Bgs has a history of slabbing things and not entering them in their database. If I can get these cards in the beckett checklist database I should be able to send that link to psa for approval. That has worked in the past.. So I'll give it a shot

We had some posts about 1954 being Puskas RC's. I'm not certain that is correct anymore. I don't have official confirmation by actually seeing one exists, but recently I've heard of a possible 1947 Nannina - Tecnicolor Campionato Di Calcio - Ferenc Puskas. Super longshot question I suppose, but does anyone else have more info on this card?

• See #19. This is the only one I've seen and the only place I've seen it referenced until your post.

• << <i>See #19. This is the only one I've seen and the only place I've seen it referenced until your post. >>

That link is awesome!

An order of mine that popped today included the following modern soccer RC's:

GEM MINT 10 2002 Panini World Cup Korea/Japan 118 Landon Donovan Korea/Japan Card
    MINT 9 2002 Panini World Cup Korea/Japan USA Exclusive U26 Landon Donovan Card
    MINT 9 2002 Panini World Cup Korea/Japan Stickers 291 Landon Donovan Card
    GEM MINT 10 2003 Magic Box Int. All-Stars Arjen Robben
    GEM MINT 10 2004 Panini Sports Mega Cracks Barca Campio (Catalan) 89 Lionel Messi Autograf

There were some other soccer RC's in there too but the grades weren't as good as these 5.

• Cool! Will you post scans?

I'll try to get to it but they haven't been shipped out of Newport Beach yet.
    I was hoping for a 3 or 4 but at least it's slabbed. I also wish they didn't translate the set name.

• It looks great slabbed

edit: double post

• I've said it before, but this thread rocks! Great Donovan cards, too bad his hair makes him look like a tool.
  • Very nice thread! I think these are my top-5 favourite rookies from my soccer collection:

1958 Quigol Pele:

1968 Sicker-Verlag Cruyff:

1964 Barratt George Best:

1965 Sicker-Verlag F. Beckenbauer:

1902 WM Clarke & Son Meredith:

• 1958 Pele Rekord Journal RC Rookie BVG 9.5 GEM MINT Only One w/ None Higher !!

Pele 1958 RC POP 1 !!
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!

<< <i>1958 Pele Rekord Journal RC Rookie BVG 9.5 GEM MINT Only One w/ None Higher !!

Pele 1958 RC POP 1 !! >>

B/S/T forum for this post, I believe?

• << <i>

<< <i>1958 Pele Rekord Journal RC Rookie BVG 9.5 GEM MINT Only One w/ None Higher !!

Pele 1958 RC POP 1 !! >>

B/S/T forum for this post, I believe? >>

Agreed.