Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post Some Soccer rookies

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Cool. I didn't know psa slabbed the 1977 set. That's great. It really validates the set. (Even though I know there are many more knowledge people out there other than PSA when it comes to these foreign issues) so far I opened 15 of the 20 packs. I'm going to try to get one slabbed and keep a couple sealed. Although opening them was a lot of fun.... there is a good chance I just end up opening them all haha

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 12:12PM

The popularity of vintage soccer continues to be very strong. I was not able to win this item (nor was I the seller), but check it out:

https://ebay.com/itm/292300964718?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

And, this particular example won't even get a numerical grade if subbed, just Authentic.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Watch the modern studs that have rcs in the 2000s take off as well.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

i follow soccer> @miwlvrn said:

The popularity of vintage soccer continues to be very strong. I was not able to win this item (nor was I the seller), but check it out:

And, this particular example won't even get a numerical grade if subbed, just Authentic.

wow just wow

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

For those who collect vintage soccer, this one should not have come as that huge of a surprise. Took me 4 years to find my copy of this card. Probably ranks as one of, if not the toughest RC to find of an all-time great. Given the condition of this one, my expectation was closer to $1250 though I can't say I wouldn't of bid well over that had I still been seeking one.

• Options

@Dragnet said:
    For those who collect vintage soccer, this one should not have come as that huge of a surprise. Took me 4 years to find my copy of this card. Probably ranks as one of, if not the toughest RC to find of an all-time great. Given the condition of this one, my expectation was closer to $1250 though I can't say I wouldn't of bid well over that had I still been seeking one.

Nice item you've got there then! Is yours graded? Would love to see a scan.

I am pretty into vintage soccer items but I would not have paid the winning price for this one. At over $2k, I'd rather have one that wasn't cut so sloppily on the edges even if it took a few more years to find.

• Options

Sorry for the delay, had to pull it out of storage. Very happy to own one period, but especially proud to have found this one in particular :). I set about to find 2 RCs each of about 25 all-timers -- 1 of the earliest (or most prominent) release I could find, the other of their first Panini issue. Finally completed the collection a few months ago. If interested, perhaps I'll get around to scanning some of the others in the near future.

• Options

That's a great card you've got there, thanks for sharing!

• Options

Dragnet, PM'd

• Options

Got the urge to rip a Euro footy box. Decided on 2005 Panini Mega Cracks. Don't get too excited, this is the one with 2nd year Messi, not the RC, so this is a low $ investment risk / low reward situation, just for fun. Will post results in case soccer thread readers are interested.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited November 11, 2017 8:41AM

Set is 558 cards in total. Unlike Futera which is almost entirely inserts and parallels, Panini Megacracks has its chase cards in the form of subsets within the set. The contents in the packs changed a bit throughout the season as far as subsets go though most of the base cards were always in the boxes, and couldn't tell which series release I had until opening packs. This was a 1st series box, so only cards up to #451 were possible, and also no BIS cards (so no Messi). The box is 36 packs, 6 per pack, so 216 cards per box. Each pack typically had 1 or 2 subset cards. Occasionally 0 or 3, but most of the time 1 or 2. Of the base cards, #1-360, box yielded approx. 1/3 the set. There was some duplication, but not very many. Each team in La Liga has basically the same number of cards, but for the most popular two teams (Barcelona & Real Madrid), only got 2 Barc. & 3 R.M. but several from the other teams, which seemed very odd. Though the set has many good players, several of whom represent their nations in the World Cup, there are not many names in the set that a casual soccer fan would recognize as compared with a Premier League box would have from the same era. Of the bigger names, this set includes 1 Lionel Messi, 2 Roberto Carlos, 2 Zinedine Zidane, 3 Ronaldo (that's Ronaldo, as in from Brazil, not CR7 from Portugal who was with Man.U. at the time), 2 Ronaldinho, 3 Fernando Torres. Of those, this box had only 1 Ronaldo (MegaBombers) and 2 Fernando Torres (Base & MegaBombers), but none of the others. Besides base cards, box had:

11 chrome/foil Team Logo header cards
    7 chrome/foil MegaEstrellas
    5 MegaBombers
    6 MegaPorteros
    3 MegaInolvidables
    30 Liga 2a team logo cards
    6 Megafichajes (but only 3 different, 2 each of 3 of them)

The box is fun for soccer fans if you're not looking for money cards, as the most any of the ones in it would get would be around $2-$4 (the Messi is worth more but is not in the 1a boxes). All in all, satisfied an urge to rip something while not sacrificing higher value boxes that might be better left unopened. A more casual soccer fan would probably prefer to open something of the Premier League or of World Football, but those of course cost more.

Here's the checklist if you are interested:
    https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/panini-spain-megacracks-200506.html

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

For the record, the one in this link would not grade any higher than the first one I posted about, and sold for about 20% of the price of the first one:

ebay.it/itm/figurina-calciatori-puskas-ungheria-edizione-nannina-1946-originale/401383217747?hash=item5d744dda53:g:BJ4AAOSw9UlZjzhV

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@miwlvrn said:

For the record, the one in this link would not grade any higher than the first one I posted about, and sold for about 20% of the price of the first one:

ebay.it/itm/figurina-calciatori-puskas-ungheria-edizione-nannina-1946-originale/401383217747?hash=item5d744dda53:g:BJ4AAOSw9UlZjzhV

I saw that too -- missed it when it was live, probably because the item wasn't openly listed on the USA eBay site. Also likely why it didn't get the action it deserved, as it may have only gotten exposure on the Italian eBay or European eBay sites.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Set is 558 cards in total. Unlike Futera which is almost entirely inserts and parallels, Panini Megacracks has its chase cards in the form of subsets within the set. The contents in the packs changed a bit throughout the season as far as subsets go though most of the base cards were always in the boxes, and couldn't tell which series release I had until opening packs. This was a 1st series box, so only cards up to #451 were possible, and also no BIS cards (so no Messi). The box is 36 packs, 6 per pack, so 216 cards per box. Each pack typically had 1 or 2 subset cards. Occasionally 0 or 3, but most of the time 1 or 2. Of the base cards, #1-396, box yielded approx. 1/3 the set. There was some duplication, but not very many. Each team in La Liga has basically the same number of cards, but for the most popular two teams (Barcelona & Real Madrid), only got 2 Barc. & 3 R.M. but several from the other teams, which seemed very odd. Though the set has many good players, several of whom represent their nations in the World Cup, there are not many names in the set that a casual soccer fan would recognize as compared with a Premier League box would have from the same era. Of the bigger names, this set includes 1 Lionel Messi, 2 Roberto Carlos, 2 Zinedine Zidane, 3 Ronaldo (that's Ronaldo, as in from Brazil, not CR7 from Portugal who was with Man.U. at the time), 2 Ronaldinho, 3 Fernando Torres. Of those, this box had only 1 Ronaldo (MegaBombers) and 2 Fernando Torres (Base & MegaBombers), but none of the others. Besides base cards, box had:

5 MegaBombers
    6 MegaPorteros
    3 MegaInolvidables

The box is fun for soccer fans if you're not looking for money cards, as the most any of the ones in it would get would be around $2-$4 (the Messi is worth more but is not in the 1a boxes). All in all, satisfied an urge to rip something while not sacrificing higher value boxes that might be better left unopened. A more casual soccer fan would probably prefer to open something of the Premier League or of World Football, but those of course cost more.

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/panini-spain-megacracks-200506.html

Very cool, always fun to see a box like this ripped. Any way to know if it is a Messi box without opening packs? I wonder too about this with regard to the 2004 boxes sometimes being sold on pwcc and ebay -- my guess is that many of them are sold advertising a possible Messi when in fact it is impossible. Wasn't he only available in 3rd or 4th series boxes?

• Options

@Dragnet said:

@miwlvrn said:

@miwlvrn said:

I saw that too -- missed it when it was live, probably because the item wasn't openly listed on the USA eBay site. Also likely why it didn't get the action it deserved, as it may have only gotten exposure on the Italian eBay or European eBay sites.

Agreed, though it is pretty rough around the edges compared to the other one. These two make up an example of how price can vary despite the cards (almost certainly eventually) earning the same grade.

• Options

@Dragnet said:

@miwlvrn said:
    Set is 558 cards in total. Unlike Futera which is almost entirely inserts and parallels, Panini Megacracks has its chase cards in the form of subsets within the set. The contents in the packs changed a bit throughout the season as far as subsets go though most of the base cards were always in the boxes, and couldn't tell which series release I had until opening packs. This was a 1st series box, so only cards up to #451 were possible, and also no BIS cards (so no Messi). The box is 36 packs, 6 per pack, so 216 cards per box. Each pack typically had 1 or 2 subset cards. Occasionally 0 or 3, but most of the time 1 or 2. Of the base cards, #1-396, box yielded approx. 1/3 the set. There was some duplication, but not very many. Each team in La Liga has basically the same number of cards, but for the most popular two teams (Barcelona & Real Madrid), only got 2 Barc. & 3 R.M. but several from the other teams, which seemed very odd. Though the set has many good players, several of whom represent their nations in the World Cup, there are not many names in the set that a casual soccer fan would recognize as compared with a Premier League box would have from the same era. Of the bigger names, this set includes 1 Lionel Messi, 2 Roberto Carlos, 2 Zinedine Zidane, 3 Ronaldo (that's Ronaldo, as in from Brazil, not CR7 from Portugal who was with Man.U. at the time), 2 Ronaldinho, 3 Fernando Torres. Of those, this box had only 1 Ronaldo (MegaBombers) and 2 Fernando Torres (Base & MegaBombers), but none of the others. Besides base cards, box had:

5 MegaBombers
    6 MegaPorteros
    3 MegaInolvidables

Very cool, always fun to see a box like this ripped. Any way to know if it is a Messi box without opening packs? I wonder too about this with regard to the 2004 boxes sometimes being sold on pwcc and ebay -- my guess is that many of them are sold advertising a possible Messi when in fact it is impossible. Wasn't he only available in 3rd or 4th series boxes?

Yes, you're right about that. Even if you get the right series, I haven't seen boxes I trust not to be frankenboxes. Spanish sellers are not ignorant of the fact that they can get a couple boxes, open each one until pulling Messi, and then combine what's left into one. The boxes were not sealed by factory shrink. Considering how expensive those boxes are, if you are after a Messi RC instead of collecting unopened, you're better off buying the card rather than the packs.

• Options

For what it’s worth...It’s depends on the source...I bought a half case from series 3 and pulled a messi in the 7th pack I opened in one box...the boxes are complelely legit but I’ll make more opening them myself for fun over time than trying to sell based on your point.

• Options

@belz said:
    For what it’s worth...It’s depends on the source...I bought a half case from series 3 and pulled a messi in the 7th pack I opened in one box...the boxes are complelely legit but I’ll make more opening them myself for fun over time than trying to sell based on your point.

Congrats! How did the Messi grade?

• Options

Thx, Haven’t subbed yet.

• Options

@belz said:

My point is moot of course if you can prove the box/packs are 3rd series (or whatever series included Messi), but I don't know the answer to that. By your post though, I presume you can't tell by the box alone (i.e. barcode, etc.)?

• Options

Not that I know of...the only way I knew was the case had markings..it’s possible on the box I suppose but haven’t looked into it.

• Options
    edited July 15, 2018 10:09AM

it’s been a while since i’ve posted anything mostly because i haven’t really had anything new or interesting to look for. the World cup reinvigorated my interest in soccer cards. i really like all the foreign issues and trying to track down the earliest cards. It can be tricky even for modern stars. i just picked this up. can anyone confirm what year this from? it was sold as 2016 but i can’t find any info on the set that matches the back of this one.

2016? Bravo Fussball Quartett Kylian Mbappe
    http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab137/eagles33/Mobile Uploads/IMG_3861_zpswteb629s.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab137/eagles33/Mobile Uploads/IMG_3858_zpslee9unan.jpg

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2018 6:35AM

@eagles33 said:
    it’s been a while since i’ve posted anything mostly because i haven’t really had anything new or interesting to look for. the World cup reinvigorated my interest in soccer cards. i really like all the foreign issues and trying to track down the earliest cards. It can be tricky even for modern stars. i just picked this up. can anyone confirm what year this from? it was sold as 2016 but i can’t find any info on the set that matches the back of this one.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab137/eagles33/Mobile Uploads/IMG_3861_zpswteb629s.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab137/eagles33/Mobile Uploads/IMG_3858_zpslee9unan.jpg

The stats on front pretty much match up with his 2016-17 season, so this card must be a 2017-18 issue. The Bravo sets are a bit tricky to get all the info on. Your best bet is to search not for the cards but for the magazines in which they were distributed, and pinpoint the specific issue that included this cards. But, it is fairly safe to say that this card was issued between June and September of 2017. With the way Bravo typically issues their cards being in a magazine, their photos are usually relatively updated, so if it were late 2017 or early 2018, he'd likely have been pictured in a PSG kit rather than Monaco's.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:

This was the only Bravo set I could find that contained Mbappe: https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.com/2018/05/bravo-sport-poland-16-mega-kart-2018.html

Might try reaching out to Alan to see if he knows, He's always been pretty friendly to work with in the past.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@eagles33 said:

This was the only Bravo set I could find that contained Mbappe: https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.com/2018/05/bravo-sport-poland-16-mega-kart-2018.html

Might try reaching out to Alan to see if he knows, He's always been pretty friendly to work with in the past.

Alan is a fantastic resource and he knows soccer cards sets better than anyone, and he finds the Bravo sets to be a particularly tough thing to deal with. If he has info, he'll post it. I've helped him with some of the Bravo sets he has on his site in the past, and he and I were able to piece some things together based on the magazine covers and magazines we found pictured on the internet. I really suggest searching the mags rather than the cards for more info.

I am pretty confident in the issuance date based on what I posted above though.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2018 7:49AM

thanks. just reached out to him. If that card is from 2017 then I guess it’s back to the dual player french panini sticker for the only option f on 2016? Any other suggestions?

On a side note i would love to get the “hand cut” qualifier off of the 1958 titulares slab. I had the album but there was nothing in it that referenced how the cards were issued. I’m not sure why PSA defaulted to the idea these were hand cut when i have never seen or even heard of an uncut sheet of these. I also have never seen rough cut examples that you would expect to be floating around since 1958.

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    thanks. just reached out to him. If that card is from 2017 then I guess it’s back to the dual player french panini sticker for the only option f on 2016? Any other suggestions?

On a side note i would love to get the “hand cut” qualifier off of the 1958 titulares slab. I had the album but there was nothing in it that referenced how the cards were issued. I’m not sure why PSA defaulted to the idea these were hand cut when i have never seen or even heard of an uncut sheet of these. I also have never seen rough cut examples that you would expect to be floating around since 1958.

PSA stopped grading the Titulares cards. While I agree there should not be a hand-cut reference on the slabs, you won't be able to change that designation. They've incorrectly put H/C on many different sets.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2018 11:14AM

I truly wish PSA would hire Alan Jenkins to telecommute as their soccer card reference dept. personnel. IMO they would do well to hire the most knowledgeable person, respectively, to work remotely for PSA, for each type of foreign or oddball sport or non-sport cards out there as their staff is noticeably lacking in those areas.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    It has been a while since soccer had a bump on here, so thought I'd dust this thread off. Probably not too many people on the boards who are interested, but FWIW, a quick public service announcement: there are a ton of counterfeit 1974 Ageducatifs Platini rookie cards around the market lately. Authentic ones can sell for a lot, but it is easy to get duped if you don't know what to look for.

Curious if anyone knows how to tell the difference? I noticed PSA slabbed a few recently one that is unusually well centered and received a 9 - are we sure this is an original?

• Options

Hard to say for absolute certainty on the PSA 9 since the listing photos are of low res quality, but in my experienced opinion, the PSA 9 is a fake, and the ungraded one is real. Looking at the back side, you should be able to faintly see through the card stock to make out the front side photo border and a bit of the look of the photo, and you'll notice that you can do so on the ungraded one in your listing, as well as on this legit PSA 5:

https://ebay.com/itm/1974-Ageducatifs-Football-74-75-289-Michel-Platini-RC-Rookie-Card-PSA-5-NQ-Pop-3-/323340199918?hash=item4b4893e7ee%3Ag%3AC3oAAOSwH1VapwJY&nma=true&si=UN%252FngcRwlZbwwuQXxapnUan%252BOpY%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Raw and in hand, you can tell the difference between the two if you have them both side by side. I have never seen an authentic one that was perfectly centered like that 9, and I've looked at one whole heck of a lot of this card. The colors seem to be a bit off on the 9, and though the true photo is a bit blurred and not crisp, the front on the fakes, and on the PSA 9, looks too much like a cheaper printing job of almost dot-matrix. Same goes for the text font on the back side. The PSA 9 has a lot more dot/smudginess going. Lastly, the color of the border on front seems to be a shade off from what it should be too. Overall, I suggest that due to lack of enough experience with the soccer card market, PSA looks to me to have made an error by slabbing a reprint as authentic in the case of this PSA 9. I would steer very clear unless you want to buy the label and not the card.

• Options

Thanks so much for the insight! Would be a shame if that 9 isn’t legit - not sure if PSA checks these boards but if so, they ought to look into it and at least be cautious of future submissions of this card.

As for the raw copy I linked to that you thought looked good- if true , that is one of the best centered copies I’ve seen of this card.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2020 11:13AM

Well, figured it was time to dust this thread off again. I just received a few hundred soccer items back from PSA, most of them being RC's. Too many to post, so thought I'd share some Gem Mint highlights.

Eden Hazard has 4 different RC's, and this is the only 10 among the total pop for all four.

Jamie Vardy has 9 different RC's, and this is the only 10 among the total pop for all nine.

This is by far the toughest card of the three different Salah RC's, from a condition sensitivity perspective, and is a pop 1.

This Ronaldo is a low pop 3 in a 10.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2020 8:49AM

@lawyer05 said:
    ANY PELE ?

Always. No Gem Mint RC's though, of course ;) . Most of the Pele ones have been added to my set registry if you're curious to check.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greg, awesome cards, especially the Hazard magnet! I love this thread.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Greg, awesome cards, especially the Hazard magnet! I love this thread.

Thanks Dan. These kind of items seem like a niche item category within this forum, but among the global populous they are another story :) It's fun to introduce them to people who aren't that familiar with them via this thread.

• Options

Cool stuff. I picked this up a few months ago. Not really sure what set it’s from but took a chance. This is just a scam from one listed on eBay now. Anyone know if these are considered rookies and recognized by psa? I couldn’t find an album or online checklist to confirm the date to try to convince psa to grade it

• Options

@eagles33 said:
    Cool stuff. I picked this up a few months ago. Not really sure what set it’s from but took a chance. This is just a scam from one listed on eBay now. Anyone know if these are considered rookies and recognized by psa? I couldn’t find an album or online checklist to confirm the date to try to convince psa to grade it

Here's the limited info that Alan posted in these links. Sounds like you'll have to hit up some of the Portuguese site operators for more.

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.com/2019/10/sl-benfica-sl-benfica-caderneta-2015.html

https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.com/2019/09/sl-benfica-sl-benfica-futsal-caderneta.html

I would recommend you start by writing to someone at this site:

misticadecromos.blogspot.com/search/label/Perphoto

• Options
    edited April 21, 2020 6:18PM

Just in case anyone happens to be shopping for this type of item, wanted to point out that this card, marketed in the title and in the item description, is NOT a Pele Rookie card. He is not featured in the photo, and it does not qualify for his player set registry composition either. Including his name in the title and listing is incorrect and misleading, which ends up being key word spam that, regardless of intent by the person who consigned it with the auction house, could easily result in a purchaser buying something that is not what they thought it was. Hoping they remove the listing and edit the content, removing the references to the name.

https://ebay.com/itm/1958-Verlag-Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft-Brazil-Team-Pele-RC-46-PSA-3-VG-PWCC/353054738387?hash=item5233b3c7d3:g:Yd0AAOSwxdVemw62

ETA: Glad to see they've taken the listing down now and will hopefully revise prior to relist.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    I truly wish PSA would hire Alan Jenkins to telecommute as their soccer card reference dept. personnel. IMO they would do well to hire the most knowledgeable person, respectively, to work remotely for PSA, for each type of foreign or oddball sport or non-sport cards out there as their staff is noticeably lacking in those areas.

Is there an alternative to PSA for grading vintage soccer cards? For example, cards before 1970? If you go way back there were so many different small companies printing cards.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

The link doesn't work now. I'm new to the group with an interest in vintage soccer cards. What was the card? Thanks : )

• Options

@Dragnet said:
    Sorry for the delay, had to pull it out of storage. Very happy to own one period, but especially proud to have found this one in particular :). I set about to find 2 RCs each of about 25 all-timers -- 1 of the earliest (or most prominent) release I could find, the other of their first Panini issue. Finally completed the collection a few months ago. If interested, perhaps I'll get around to scanning some of the others in the near future.

Great card!! Who else is in your list of top 25?

• Options

Thanks :). Managed to get it slabbed not long before PSA stopped grading these. Not sure if they've since resumed..

As for the 25, it's actually 26, and I decided to only use players debuting post-1940. Not in ranked order:

Ferenc Puskas
    Alfredo di Stefano
    Garrincha
    Pele
    Bobby Charlton
    Lev Jascin
    Eusebio
    George Best
    Franz Beckenbauer
    Gerd Muller
    Johan Cruyff
    Michel Platini
    Zico
    Diego Maradona
    Marco Van Basten
    Roberto Baggio
    Paolo Maldini
    Zinedine Zidane
    Ronaldo
    David Beckham
    Xavi
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Lionel Messi
    Luis Suarez
    Neymar

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

very nice cards.
    I put up my PELE REKORD PSA 6 for sale on EBAY as i am going in another direction in collecting.
    THANKS

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dragnet said:
    Thanks :). Managed to get it slabbed not long before PSA stopped grading these. Not sure if they've since resumed..

As for the 25, it's actually 26, and I decided to only use players debuting post-1940. Not in ranked order:

Ferenc Puskas
    Alfredo di Stefano
    Garrincha
    Pele
    Bobby Charlton
    Lev Jascin
    Eusebio
    George Best
    Franz Beckenbauer
    Gerd Muller
    Johan Cruyff
    Michel Platini
    Zico
    Diego Maradona
    Marco Van Basten
    Roberto Baggio
    Paolo Maldini
    Zinedine Zidane
    Ronaldo
    David Beckham
    Xavi
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Lionel Messi
    Luis Suarez
    Neymar

Would love to see as much of this collection as you’re willing to share!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Still don't have scans unfortunately.. one day I'll take the time to get them all done. While I "completed" the collecting goal a few years ago, I've since upgraded a number of cards, either by grade, or by finding earlier issues. In the latter case, it's been a struggle at times to get new issues recognized and slabbed, but I've found that persistence is key. Some of the highlights of the collection include:

1946 Nannina Puskas (seen above)
    1949 Figuritas Revancha Di Stefano (I made a point to not include "disc" cards, so while he has a 1947 issue, this is the earliest "standard" issue I've been able to find)
    1953 Balas Futebol Garrincha (still working on getting this slabbed, which I'm hopeful about)
    1965 Bergmann Beckenbauer PSA 9
    1971/72 Titulares de Ouro Zico (very recent purchase, will take some time, but don't foresee issues getting slabbed)
    1983 Panini Voetbal Marco Van Basten PSA 8

Of the players on my list for whom there is reasonable evidence to conclude earlier issues exist - but which I haven't been able to find are:

Lev Jascin - earliest I have is the 1959 Heinerle, however his first serious action came in 1953. He played on the Soviet National team beginning in 1954, won the Summer Olympics in 1956 and played in the 1958 World Cup. I'm still on the lookout.. perhaps I need a Russian contact.

Pele - while most recognize his 1st year issue as 1958 or 1958/59, I know of at least 2, likely 3 issues from 1957. Cost could be a barrier...

Cruyff - earliest I have is the 1967/68 Palirex issue, which is a Portuguese release. Given he made his debut for Ajax in 1964 and really burst on the scene in 1965, I have to believe there exists a Dutch issue pre-dating 1967.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2020 4:29AM

Wow, congrats on the PSA 8 1983 Van Basten! I think that card in that grade is in the conversation of what would constitute the top 10 highest value non-Jordan sports cards from the 1980's.

Also, amazing score on the 1971 Zico; I'd love to see scans of that one some day!

Agreed on the 1957 Pele cards having an insurmountable price barrier at this point.

There are several Jascin cards from 1958, but I'm also in agreement that somewhere out there, there have certainly got to be some older ones than that.

That Palirex card is a 1968 issue as opposed to 1967. I do own a Dutch-issued post card size Cruyff card from 1964-65, but I'm still looking for a standard sized one. There is also a 9.5" x 7" Ajax team card that was issued in 1967, but nothing of just him or in a reasonable holdering size from that year.

What are you going with for Eusebio? There are several different ones from 1961. I've heard there might be a couple from 1960, but I'm still working on confirming that too.