Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post Some Soccer rookies

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice thread! I think these are my top-5 favourite rookies from my soccer collection >>

Great stuff, glad to see you finally decided to join up on the boards.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I got this Slabbed by BGS today. Hopefully I can eventually cross over to psa.

8485535 Soccer 1978 Argentina Champion Stickers Diego Maradona 1.5

Here is the card raw

Nice card and a big congrats on getting it in a slab. Wonder how long it will be before PSA finally agrees to do the same? >>

This just popped today. The order is onl hold because i'm still trying to get the 1980 Deportistas cards slabbed so i'm not sure when i'll get them back. I'm looking forward to seeing how this looks in a PSA slab. I need to decide which card to keep as Maradona's rookie. This one or the Crack one

24104805 FAIR 1.5 1978 Argentina Campeon Libro de Estampas Diego Maradona Card

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I like this one!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I got this Slabbed by BGS today. Hopefully I can eventually cross over to psa.

8485535 Soccer 1978 Argentina Champion Stickers Diego Maradona 1.5

Here is the card raw

image >>

Nice card and a big congrats on getting it in a slab. Wonder how long it will be before PSA finally agrees to do the same? >>

This just popped today. The order is onl hold because i'm still trying to get the 1980 Deportistas cards slabbed so i'm not sure when i'll get them back. I'm looking forward to seeing how this looks in a PSA slab. I need to decide which card to keep as Maradona's rookie. This one or the Crack one

24104805 FAIR 1.5 1978 Argentina Campeon Libro de Estampas Diego Maradona Card >>

Congrats on getting it out of the N9 pile and into a slab! I'd keep both if I were you.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm really hoping I end up with no N9s in this sub. I started out with 4 out of 6 now only the 2 Deportistas cards which I'm hoping will get approved by the specs dept. Customer service has been super helpful on this sub.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Got this back today. Looks great in a psa slab. Does anyone know which set is more difficult to find? This one or the 1978 Crack? I think the grade a little harsh. There is a small amount of paper loss on the back but since it's blank back anyways it doesn't really take away from the card.

• Options

Nice card you have there! I don't know which one is tougher, but I'd imagine that the average condition that each one is found in is going to be about the same.

There are tons and tons of cards out there that grade 1.5 with beautiful fronts but small paper loss or similar on back due to being removed from albums. I've got a lot of those in my various soccer master sets.

• Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Did they grade the 1980 deportistas for you?

Edited to add: that maradona is fantastic!! My 11 year old is a soccer nut and he loved that card too when I showed him.
  • Options
    51bigA51bigA Posts: 41
    I had 2 small all soccer subs pop this week. The first arrived today and contained this beauty. It is Dean's true rookie.

The 40 cards in this set were distributed as inserts with D.C. Thomson's comics Adventure and The Vanguard from late September to November of 1925. 5 cards were available each week, and each comic only contained one of that week's 5 cards. Compounding the scarcity is the fact that the glossy photo front chips easily and is prone to extreme bowing and even separation from the cardboard backing.

Dean is the primary focus of my collection, and I am over the moon to pull a 4 on this card.
  • Options

Nice pickup on that Dean, congrats on the grade.

• Options
    Bravesfan007Bravesfan007 Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Wow, that Dean is an amazing card. And good to read about its origins. Congrats!
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Is this a rookie?

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    No luck with the Deportistas but I'll give it another shot next sub. Great cards. Congrats on the 4. I'm not familiar with the card above.. Not sure if it's a rookie or not
  • Options
    51bigA51bigA Posts: 41
    A couple of pre-war Arsenal rookies I've gotten back recently...

Brain scored 139 goals for Arsenal in the mid to late 20's. He was the first A.F.C. player to break the 30 goal barrier with 34 in 1925/26. That season kicked off a stretch of 4 consecutive in which he was Arsenal's top scorer.

This card is actually from the 1926/27 season, but PSA is being stubborn about recognizing it despite a large and quite clear body of evidence.

Alex James is a Gunner legend. He could slot anywhere from striker to deep-lying mid, and his uncanny vision and passing ability made him the perfect set-up man to compliment the stable of highly prolific forwards Arsenal employed during their rise in the 1930s.

There's a possibility that James features on an earlier card as this one is from several years into his career, but I haven't been able to turn one up. Again, PSA mislabels this card. It was distributed with D.C. Thomson's The Rover #258 dated March 26, 1927.

• Options

Had a bunch of soccer stuff in an order that just popped tonight, including the 5th of the 5 different 2002 Landon Donovan RC's

2002 Onze Mondial Landon Donovan Perforated

That will go well with these other four.
  • Options
    Nice pick up. Which rookie is his best. I'm leaning towards going after the 2002 Korean sticker
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>Had a bunch of soccer stuff in an order that just popped tonight, including the 5th of the 5 different 2002 Landon Donovan RC's

2002 Onze Mondial Landon Donovan Perforated

That will go well with these other four. >>

Cool stuff. Wasn't Donovan once featured on an Allen & Ginter card?
  • Options

Probably was, not sure, but I only focused on his RC's at this point.
  • Options
    I was looking for a 2002 Panini Road to the FIFA World Cup #110 Landon Donovan to complete my run of all his different RC's (there are 7; theoretically 8 if you count perforated vs. HC on the Onze though I'm not yet convinced they are truly 2 different variations) but was having trouble finding one sold as a single so I decided to just rip a box of it since they are relatively inexpensive. The boxes have 50 packs, 5 stickers per pack. 250 in a box, and the set has a checklist of 150. I pulled 2 Donovans, which I was hoping for since odds are roughly 1.5 per box. Not a lot of star power in the set compared with more recent years. Not that they carry a lot of value, but there are 2 superstars in Zidane & T.Henry, plus a smattering of stars like Oliver Kahn, Michael Barrack, Brian McBride, Roberto Carlos, Luis Figo, Kasey Keller, Cafu, etc. Box had 2 Zidane and 1 Henry. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone decides to pursue the Donovan RC's. For my experience, regardless of sale price, out of the 7 it was the 4th toughest Donovan RC to locate being sold as a single, behind the 2002 Onze, 2002 Panini's Football #222 and the 2002 SIFK #137.

• Options
    I was about to start looking to add a Donavan rookie. What one do you think is his best? The only one I really knew of was the Korean panini.
    Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>I was about to start looking to add a Donavan rookie. What one do you think is his best? The only one I really knew of was the Korean panini.
    Thanks >>

The 2002 Onze Mondial is obscure and only fits in a supersize holder. I think standard size holders do better in your collection. For exclusivity, the 2002-03 Panini's Football #222 (yes, for some reason that set has Panini w/ the possessive apostrophe 's') is one that very few people will ever be able to find or see since the set was sort of a test issue but never issued for traditional distribution in the classic sense, so it seems cooler. Relatively pricey compared w/ the others too if you do track one down. The 2002 Panini - Road to the FIFA World Cup #110 and the 2002 Panini World Cup Korea/Japan Stickers #291 are both stickers. 2002 Panini - World Cup Korea/Japan #118 and the insert from the same set, 2002 Panini World Cup Korea/Japan - USA Exclusives #U26 are a typical card set which I prefer over stickers. I am not a fan of how all the stickers in a set have the same general back with no card-specific stats/bio/etc. Then there is the 2002 Sports Illustrated for Kids #137, which is of course a perforated magazine issue card. From what I have learned over a lot of your posts about your collection, comparing all these to each other, the 2002 Panini - World Cup Korea/Japan #118 probably makes the most sense for your set of RC's. It doesn't have the modern shiny look that the USA Exclusives insert does though. And, the #118 card is easy to find and not that expensive.

• Options
    Cool thanks for the info. The test set is interesting. Let me know if you have any doubles of that or the Korean one you suggested. Thanks again
  • Options

Here are some links w/ interesting info about the 2002-03 Panini's Football set:

link 1

link 2

As far as extras go, I've only ever seen one of the #222 card, which I then purchased. I am keeping my #118 10 and my #U26 9. I have an extra 118 in a 5 (currently pop 1, 5 higher) and an extra U26 in a 7 (pop 1, 1 higher) but with those grades I suspect you might rather just purchase some raw ones and sub them yourself? I've got another 118 subbed but won't know the grade for probably another month or so. I'd expect an 8 or 9 but I don't want to guess without seeing it again. I will definitely let you know if I ever find another #222 though!

• Options
    Last week I got back a number of modern items submitted on the July special. I had some great hits and some real head-scratchers. Most importantly, despite including some fairly obscure stuff, I only got a single N9 on a Lewandowski rookie from a Polish Panini set. I'm confident I can get it graded eventually. Here are a couple of my favorites from the submission. Pires, Bergkamp and Henry were all members of the undefeated Invicibles team from 2003. I'm including my Wright with them for good measure.

The two '08 Sanchez cards are what I consider to be his rookies. '08 Clausura would have been from the second half of the 07/08 season, so its a bit earlier than the Calciatori. Sanchez features on a number of even older stickers out of Chile by a now defunct company called Salo. I've included an example of those as well. A popular British dealer I'm sure most everyone taking the time to read this follows recently had a number of them at auction. He was offering 06's and 07's as rookies. If you were to recognize the Salo's as legitimate rookies, then the first upon which he appeared was in 2005 at 16 years old with Chilean side Cobreloa. I've been ripping packs of the 2005 Salo as I've been able to find them for over a year trying to pull one myself. I've managed the team card, but not his individual sticker. The chase is part of the fun though right? RIGHT?! image

• Options

Fun stuff, and nice to see someone else posting soccer items. Thanks for sharing, Adrian!

• Options
    My most recent order included a tough one for the Donovan RC collection:

GEM MINT 10 2002 SI for Kids 137 Landon Donovan
  • Options
    The same order also included the first/only Bobby Moore RC dated 1961:

VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1961-1962 WS-Verlag Wanne-Eickel Bobby Moore
  • Options
    Congrats on the Donovan!

I'd love to see a scan of the Moore when you get the sub back. Is he shown representing West Ham or England?
  • Options
    Thanks. The 2002 SIFK is a tougher card than one might expect. Pulling a 10 on it was a nice surprise.

They should be shipping today.

The Moore card is England, not West Ham.
  • Options
    Wanted to update my post on the Donovan RC's. There are 8, not 7. I forgot to mention the 2002 Panini - World Cup Korea/Japan - Japan Edition - #149 card. It looks almost exactly the same as the 2002 Panini - World Cup Korea/Japan - USA Edition - #118 card.
  • Options

Cruyff dies

Shame to lose one of the absolute best of the game, in the top 3 all time w/ Pele & Messi. Another chain smoker passing from lung cancer, unfortunately.

• Options
    RIP. He was awesome.
  • Options
    Some soccer RC's of mine just popped today, part of my 15-card renewal sub. The George Best is a head-scratcher. I've subbed others from the same set and they have been 8's and 9's. I expected an 8(ST) on the Best so that one will be a crack and re-sub. Needless to say, the last one of these six is pretty sweet. Figured it had about a 20% chance at a 10, which I was hoping for, but objectively 9 is probably better. If the grade existed, it is probably a 9.5.

POOR 1 1958 Ave Ltda. Colecao Titulares 50 Pele Hand Cut Card

GOOD 2 1958 Editora Aquarela Ltda 10 Pele Blue Number-Perforated Card

POOR 1 1958 Editora Aquarela Ltda 10 Pele Black Number-Perforated Card

VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1964 Barratt & Co. Ltd Famous Footballers Series A.12 29 George Best Card

POOR 1 1978 Argentina Campeon Libro de Estampas Diego Maradona Card

MINT 9 2004 Panini Sports Mega Cracks 71 Lionel Messi Card

Edit to add: As clarification, I picked up a complete set of A.12's a while back. Other cards from the set, not the George Best, were high grade. I did not mean I've popped 8's and 9's on the Best card.
  • Options
    Great sub. I love the titulares Pele and 78 Maradona. I think I lik that Maradona better than the 78 Crack
  • Options
    I would love to see these when they come home in their slabs!
  • Options

These boxes used to sell at around $400 or so back a few months ago. If anyone here ever picks any up and decides to take the chance and rip, I'd love to hear about whether or not the cards are banged up. I am always hesitant with them since the boxes are soft and seem to all take some abuse on the outside, plus I haven't trusted that they are not assembled with packs leftover from other boxes after a partial rip yielded a Messi or two. Still, I am so curious to witness some authentic rip data on them...

If you could guarantee a box contained undamaged cards and also that the packs were inside it as original factory correlation, then I think it would be hands down the best long-term appreciation of any modern unopened sports card box for investment down the road. That is a mighty big "if" though.

• Options
    Cool box. You could always get bbce to wrap the box. Do you know if they were shrink wrapped by panini or was that an after market job
  • Options
    Sounds from the description like the seller wrapped it themselves. I've only seen them posted for sale without shrink wrap but don't know if they had it on there from the factory or not.
  • Options

It has been a while since soccer had a bump on here, so thought I'd dust this thread off. Probably not too many people on the boards who are interested, but FWIW, a quick public service announcement: there are a ton of counterfeit 1974 Ageducatifs Platini rookie cards around the market lately. Authentic ones can sell for a lot, but it is easy to get duped if you don't know what to look for.

• Options

Woohoo! Just popped a helluva grade on the rarest of all the 1965 Franz Beckenbauer RC's!

MINT 9 1965 Sicker-Verlag Tausend Tolle Tore 295 Beckenbauer

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 5:16PM

Picked this up recently.

• Options

@JWBlue said:

Picked this up recently.

Wow, that is an impressive pickup! Those 10's don't come cheap, but would love to own one myself someday.

• Options

In the interest of giving this thread a bump, here are a couple high grade standouts among a large lot of soccer RC's I just had pop this week:

EXCELLENT 5 1974 Ageducatifs Football 74/75 289 Michel Platini
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1977 Futbol Discs 11 Maradona Arg. Jrs. (Diego Armando Maradona)

Yes, 4 & 5 are high grade for these sets. The Platini would have been a 7(OC) if it had gone w/ qualifers instead of NQ. I do not believe that any authentic ones of this card have been issued with proper centering. The fakes/reprints are centered.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Can't wait for the World Cup next year and see if Messi and Argentina can win. With the transfer of Neymar to PSG, it'll be interesting to see what Messi and Barcelona can accomplish.

Messi's premiere rookie card attached is my favorite soccer card, blowing away all the recent autographed cards, although some of those are great too. Thinking about crossing it to PSA for a shot at 10..min review 10. Thoughts?

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

@belz said:

Can't wait for the World Cup next year and see if Messi and Argentina can win. With the transfer of Neymar to PSG, it'll be interesting to see what Messi and Barcelona can accomplish.

Messi's premiere rookie card attached is my favorite soccer card, blowing away all the recent autographed cards, although some of those are great too. Thinking about crossing it to PSA for a shot at 10..min review 10. Thoughts?

I think you have a chance at getting that one to cross. If doing so is your goal, I'd send it in more than once if it doesn't work the first time. I have that in a PSA 9 that I thought had maybe a 20% chance or so at being a 10 when I sent it in raw, though I'd concede it is not out of place in a 9 holder. Yours is a bit nicer, and assuming the back side looks good too, I wouldn't be surprised for it to get a 10.

• Options

Man Photobucket really ruined this thread. I've never seen the 1977 maradona in a psa holder. Please post a scan when you have a chance. I haven't bought any new soccer rookies lately but I did win the eBay auction for 20 packs of 1977 crack. I was planning on trying to get a few slabbed, open a few and sell a few individual packs on eBay. Well I ended up opening 15 of them. No maradona yet but was a fun rip. Each pack contained 6 cards. Is there anyone else in that set worth looking for? I also got 5 packs of the 1977 futball discs. Each pack contained 3 discs and 2 cards. No maradona there either. I'll try to post scans .

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

I remember finishing the 1994 Panini World Cup set in Panama
    they may say printed in panama.. I will look

• Options
    edited August 15, 2017 12:22PM

@eagles33 said:
    Man Photobucket really ruined this thread. I've never seen the 1977 maradona in a psa holder. Please post a scan when you have a chance. I haven't bought any new soccer rookies lately but I did win the eBay auction for 20 packs of 1977 crack. I was planning on trying to get a few slabbed, open a few and sell a few individual packs on eBay. Well I ended up opening 15 of them. No maradona yet but was a fun rip. Each pack contained 6 cards. Is there anyone else in that set worth looking for? I also got 5 packs of the 1977 futball discs. Each pack contained 3 discs and 2 cards. No maradona there either. I'll try to post scans .

I've seen those pack-lots posted for sale a few times but haven't pulled the trigger for the price. There's not much else in there besides the big one, but good luck and I'd love to hear the results!

Here's the scan you asked for:

Chipping around the edges are common. The tough part is finding one with a good clean back.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@eagles33 said:

I've seen those pack-lots posted for sale a few times but haven't pulled the trigger for the price. There's not much else in there besides the big one, but good luck and I'd love to hear the results!

Here's the scan you asked for:

Chipping around the edges are common. The tough part is finding one with a good clean back.

nice