Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post Some Soccer rookies

123457»

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

P.S., I hope some of the people who read this soccer thread were able to catch USMNT vs. Mexico last night. That was a fantastic match to see.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

@Dragnet said:
    Just a heads up -- I've just started working for PSA as a part-time consultant, helping with the Soccer research team to correct long-standing issues/problems and standardize the set years. If anyone here has any specific information regarding specific cards/stickers and/or set(s) that have been labeled incorrectly or are otherwise problematic, please reach out. You can PM me here but I don't check in as often as I used to, so email would be better -- jcameron@med.miami.edu.

Best,
    Josh

That sounds like a fun and useful position, Josh, congrats. I'm happy to help you out with any specific soccer identification for the specs dept. there too. BTW, Alan Jenkins' health is not great these days, so if you want to ask him (he is probably the most knowledgeable source out there) about any items, better do it sooner than later.

Appreciate it. Will keep you in mind if something comes up.. As for Alan, I heard about that as well, awful news. I can't tell you how often I've referenced his site and/or received a tip from him personally -- and I'm sure many here can say the same.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2021 12:23PM

For those that dig the PSA 10 Messi…here it is :)

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=95182

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question. If one were to start squirreling away Christian Pulisic rookies which are preferred?

TIA

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    simon2010simon2010 Posts: 76 ✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Question. If one were to start squirreling away Christian Pulisic rookies which are preferred?

TIA

m

I’m not sure I would…he doesn’t make the Chelsea team and unfortunately I can see him falling even more behind the order after the summer

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2021 4:15PM

@simon2010 said:

@Justacommeman said:

TIA

m

I’m not sure I would…he doesn’t make the Chelsea team and unfortunately I can see him falling even more behind the order after the summer

He's 22 and I'm hopeful. I'll be putting some away. Just would like some feedback on his rookie issues

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

So with Cristiano Ronaldo headed back to Manchester United, he's getting a lot more attention recently. Good time to mention that there have been a major injection of fake CR7 rookie stickers into the market this year, most in BGS slabs. It seems that so many have gotten past the TPGs that I would advise to not even consider buying one unless the transaction was made in person.

You can get more details on the differences watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbNVRpVuyo

• Options

@thehallmark said:
    So with Cristiano Ronaldo headed back to Manchester United, he's getting a lot more attention recently. Good time to mention that there have been a major injection of fake CR7 rookie stickers into the market this year, most in BGS slabs. It seems that so many have gotten past the TPGs that I would advise to not even consider buying one unless the transaction was made in person.

You can get more details on the differences watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbNVRpVuyo

With the increase in fakes for Messi and Ronaldo, I'd recommend focusing on earlier cert numbers on the grading labels if you can, meaning try to buy some that were graded years before the fakes hit the market.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Who'd have thought I would have a 1994 Upper Deck World Cup Soccer Julie Foudy rookie card laying around just for this occasion??

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

I find the results in this link a bit curious. Same card, and a series of closing prices.

June 30, $47,433.69
    July 18, $37,100
    August 4, $20,000

( a) one consignor, with shilling each time?
    ( b) one consignor, with the winning bidder not paying?
    ( c) multiple successive consignors, each choosing to flip w/ Probstein and each losing substantially more than the previous one?

Winning bidder on the 3rd go-round was trying for what looks like a legit win in the first 2 times. The top 2 on the first two "sales" were the same on the 1st and 2nd times. Curious to look at the bid history on this as a side-by-side comparison.

And, all three "sales" are listed on the PSA auctionprices data site. Unfortunately, PSA cannot get access to info on what auctions they include that were actually paid for vs. relisted after nonpayment.

PWCC gets a lot of press for suspected auction shilling, but Probstein seems to avoid the relative volume of problematic complaints.

https://ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=384379064176&autorefresh=true&_ssn=probstein123&_osacat=0&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&_odkw=soccer&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=mbappe+orange&_sacat=0

• Options
    edited September 22, 2021 5:49AM

Yuck, I'm betting mech error on the grade portion of the label, as opposed to a fake label, but wow, this supposed de Bruyne PSA 8 looks like it might be a EX 5 based on terrible corners and edges as visible on the back side scan, plus border discoloration on the front white borders. The 8 is above the 5 on a keyboard numberpad, so that's probably where the error occurred. (even a 5 seems generous, 4 seems appropriate) Most likely with whomever processed the label because there is no way a grader would have assigned this an 8. Somebody screwed up big time.

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/274924680005?hash=item4002c9b345:g:h3gAAOSwxBxhKrwn

Comparably, this PSA 6 looks 2 to 2.5 grades better than the mech error "8"

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/124897768994?hash=item1d147cb622:g:x6kAAOSw8z1hPjzI

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2021 6:31PM

My most recent pickup for my Mount PC, although not a rookie.

• Options

A few fun Soccer RC's that just popped with the Red Flip auto group sub yesterday:

Item Grade: VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5
    Auto Grade: NM 7 1958 A & BC Footballers 3 Robert Charlton Planet Ltd. on FrontPSA/DNA Certified Card

Item Grade: VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4
    Auto Grade: GEM MT 10 1965 Sicker-Verlag Fussball 238 Gerhard Muller PerforatedPSA/DNA Certified Card

Item Grade: NEAR MINT-MINT 8
    Auto Grade: GEM MT 10 2014 Topps Premier League Match Attax 144 Jamie VardyPSA/DNA Certified Card

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Great items!! PC or for sale?

• Options

@thehallmark said:
    Great items!! PC or for sale?

Though "everything is for sale for the right price", I had intended to hold on to the first two. I do have another signed Vardy that I will be including in the next batch of PSA/DNA red group sub and will sell the lower of the two once that one has been graded.

• Options

Looking at my stash of 2004-05 Mundicromo sealed packs and wishing I could tell which ones had Messi without opening them...

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    Looking at my stash of 2004-05 Mundicromo sealed packs and wishing I could tell which ones had Messi without opening them...

You could send them to me and I’ll tell you!!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2021 9:16AM

so this happened…

obviously belli woulda been the preferred ajax, but at least its the vari padparadscha.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    A few fun Soccer RC's that just popped with the Red Flip auto group sub yesterday:

Item Grade: VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5
    Auto Grade: NM 7 1958 A & BC Footballers 3 Robert Charlton Planet Ltd. on FrontPSA/DNA Certified Card

Item Grade: VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4
    Auto Grade: GEM MT 10 1965 Sicker-Verlag Fussball 238 Gerhard Muller PerforatedPSA/DNA Certified Card

Item Grade: NEAR MINT-MINT 8
    Auto Grade: GEM MT 10 2014 Topps Premier League Match Attax 144 Jamie VardyPSA/DNA Certified Card

• Options

Feeling like ripping some of my unopened Futbol stash. Is there any curiosity in eventual results, or is this stuff too fringe for the board?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d be curious about the results.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

First up is 1994-95 Mundicromo - Las Fichas de la Liga 94-95

No star power on this one. Not surprising, since there are not many good cards in this set, but the checklist is big.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

• Options

Today is 1994-95 Mundicromo - Futbol Total Liga 95. Same as yesterday, striking out with no luck once again in pulling a Raul RC. Not the best card in the set, but this pack did have a halfway decent star in Bebeto. However, it was the top card so it ended up having the factory indent/press lines visible in the surface, so it is not a sub candidate.

• Options

1995-96 Mundi Cromo - Las Fichas de la Liga 95-96 is not as good a checklist as the set from one year before or one year after, so no high hopes beyond fun curiosity with this one. This pack had one decent star player in Alkorta plus a minor star with Aranzabal, but neither are anything beyond the lowest level of commons as far as value goes. Also inside was a redemption card that expired 25 years ago.

• Options

Nothing good in the 1996-97 Mundi Cromo - Las Fichas de la Liga 96-97 pack today.

• Options

Leaving the '90's packs in the rearview, today moved on to a tallboy size set with 2003-04 Mundicromo - Top Liga 2004 - La Liga en Megacards. This checklist is approx half the size of those '90's sets and has a higher quantity of better players within it too so packs are more fun than the '90's ones (though this of course is a year earlier than RC's like Messi and Ramos). This pack had good players with long careers and plenty of international caps, though none here are the upper level of ones from this set and none carry more value than commons.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2021 7:44PM

This set is 2005-06 Mundicromo Sport S.L. - Las Fichas de La Liga. It's pretty big, with 1447 cards. The pack is a high number / Edicion Platinum pack, with cards greater than number 666 on up. So, not very good odds in getting anything good. This pack was all commons, mostly from the 2nd division.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2021 6:10AM

This pack of 2005-06 Mundicromo Sport S.L. - Top Liga 2006 was another one with all commons. Two of the blue-bordered ones were the Brillo/Espejo (Foil/Mirror) parallel versions.

• Options

Today was the only pack in the stack that was not made by Mundicromo Sport. This one was 2007-08 Ediciones Estadio - Liga 2007-2008. Once again, the players here had relatively decent careers including plenty of International caps, but are still all considered commons.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for these updates. I liked Juanfran.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Same story again today with this first pack of 2007-08 Mundicromo Sport S.L. - Las Fichas de la Liga 2008

• Options

The 2007 set is when Mundicromo really stepped up heavily into quantity of parallel varieties, similar to what we see in modern day Panini soccer cards for example. There should be 9 different parallel versions of a lot of cards in this set. PSA has not figured out how to label them correctly when grading yet. I have subbed each of the different versions of the Messi cards from this set, and PSA has rarely ever included the parallel distinction on the label or in the pop report, despite me putting the correct data on the sub form as well as including set checklist info with the subs. They have more recently added personnel who are a bit more educated on soccer items, so I think we are finally coming into a time where more soccer items will be graded without mech error.

Today's pack of 2007-08 Mundicromo Sport S.L. - Las Fichas de la Liga 2008 was more interesting than the one from yesterday since it included a couple parallels (one version is a Brillantes Jaspeado Vertical con Puntas Redondas; the other is a Brillantes Security Vertical con Puntas Redondas). But, once again, this pack is still all commons.

• Options

Another point to make about Mundicromo: The company is famous for not having a consistent size dimension when cutting cards for their sets. The sizes of the cards within factory issued packs very often varies relatively dramatically compared with most other manufacturers. The noticeable size variance is a factory characteristic of Mundicromo cards. They are not trimmed, nor are they minsize, and this variance should not be penalized when grading.

• Options

One more pack of 2007-08 Mundicromo Sport S.L. - Las Fichas de la Liga 2008. This one had a parallel though it is a common. Also included was the fun of pulling an upper level star with this Thierry Henry base card. I would sub it if it were a 10. This one would be graded by PSA as a Mint 9 though.

• Options

Today is a pack of 2008-09 Mundicromo Sport S.L. - Las Fichas de la Liga 2009. This one had two parallels, but the whole thing was commons again. Merry Christmas Eve!

• Options

Last pack in what was a count down to Christmas stack is another 2008-09 Mundicromo Sport S.L. - Las Fichas de la Liga 2009. Two parallels in this one, and one is of Pepe. He's not as big of a star as T.Henry like a couple packs ago, but still good. This one would grade as a 10, so I might consider sending it in some day.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2022 7:52PM

Wow, Goldin has the highest graded 1957 Balas #11 Pele RC up for auction right now. 200k w/ 16 days left. Definitely not my card, but obviously I wish it were! I am very curious to see if we will be witnessing the first single soccer card to sell for over a million USD.

https://goldin.co/item/exceedingly-rare-1957-balas-futebol-11-pele-rookie-card-sgc-gd-2-the-h4mcyk

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

This isn’t his rookie, but any idea why the back of my Zidane card is red ? Thanks

• Options

I usually see them in other colors, but not red. Thanks

• Options
    edited July 11, 2022 10:01AM

@Goldenage said:
    I usually see them in other colors, but not red. Thanks

Just send a quick email to Alan Jenkins; he will have the right answer for you. These were distributed in many many different countries, with slight variations. The info you're looking for is not presently posted on his site, but it is very likely that he can help you accurately.

If for some reason Alan gets back to you and says he does not know for sure, then your next step would be to ask some people through the laststicker.com site

• Options
    edited July 21, 2022 10:03AM

Jeez, can't believe some of the grades you can find on cards sometimes. This Gordon Banks rookie is labeled as a PSA 5, but should be a 2.5. Bad corners, but even worse back surface. The cert is pretty old; is it more likely that the grader was way way too lenient, or instead is it a mech error on the grade portion? Fun card to collect, but absolutely not a 5.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175354968987?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=e90001.m2368.l2649&mkcid=8&bu=43190394090&osub=dcd517e264dd90b27efef75751790b9c%7ETE80101_T_AGM&segname=TE80101_T_AGM&crd=20220721080500&ch=osgood&trkId=0AD32052-062C1DD2C58-01821388ACD9-0000000000A9927A&mesgId=3041&plmtId=700002&recoId=175354968987&recoPos=4

• Options

Panini 1980

• Options

Stanley Matthews rookie

• Options

Der Bomber

• Options

Those are some great sheets! Is the 1932 Transfers sheet the same one that Alan Jenkins has posted on his checklist? The staining shapes seem to match up (though his photo has the sheet flipped over on the other side).

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Those are some great sheets! Is the 1932 Transfers sheet the same one that Alan Jenkins has posted on his checklist? The staining shapes seem to match up (though his photo has the sheet flipped over on the other side).

Don’t have the answer for that 😊

• Options

Do you own all these sheets? Or just internet images you're posting?

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Do you own all these sheets? Or just internet images you're posting?

I’ve been messaging with the owner. So perhaps yes and probably no.