Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    image...Love it when my old 01-O Quarter shows up again.

Craig, the image you're using was from Legend... Why not
    use the one Messydesk used ? It's a great coin, I wish I could
    locate the AU that was replaced by the MS 64.

Craig... Please post your newps from the San Francisco Heritage sale.
    Although the 02 sold for outrageous money, it was a fantastic coin.

No newps to report.... Just my new 18 month old Doberman...
    he's got to be one of the nicest Dobe's I've ever met. What a
    Sweetheart !! Picked him up today !!

Ron.... Congrats on the 94-O Dime.... I just checked my set, I have
    a pretty decent XF 45... as memory serves me, I believe I had a 55
    in my last set. It's a hard date to find, as you are well aware !

Scott.... Very fortunate to be able to pick and choose from Lenny's
    collection. Errr... I mean Stash, he isn't calling it a collection, is he ?
    Or, am I confused ? Is it you who isn't assembling a set ? Whatever,
    having three nice coins to critique is a wonderful experience.

Mark, keep plugging away, you'll locate the right coin in the right grade
    and, hopefully, at the right price. There are many collectors for Quarters.
    It's harder now than it was 15 years ago.

JT, how and where you locate all your finds keeps me very entertained.
    Don't know how you do it, but you're doing a bang up job.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    NewP. This us the sellers images so I'll edit after it comes. Care to guess the grade?imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

Sorry, my old quarter LOL

_________
    Craig
    Craig

Mark.... The grease smudge on the reverse leads me to believe
    that coin is an AU 58. Pretty coin.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Craig.... You're a riot !

Aren't you glad you did grab some
    of my old collection ? Should have
    grabbed more !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NewP. This us the sellers images so I'll edit after it comes. Care to guess the grade? >>

I was an underbidder on this coin, I know the grade so I won't share. I thought it had the chance at an upgrade, but wasn't totally convinced, as it looked a little dead in the luster department. Please share what what the luster looks like in hand once you receive the coin
    Michael I sure wish I woulda known you were bidding. I usually dnt go after a coin so hard but I thought it had potential.. I will never Crack it out though. I will update when it comes..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhedden - Congrats of the acquisition of a tough, tough coin, and thanks for posting.

Scott - Great job on the returns from our hosts. I second your thoughts, well stated as usual.

JT - Good looking 07-O, congrats. Especially like the better price out side of ebay part.

Craig - Always good to see your 01-O in 64. Really a lustrous, eye appealing toughie.

Mark - I'll guess 55. Pics don't give an indication of luster. Be interested to hear how coin looks in hand.

Pics for tonight, the 01-O that sets the standard for a 58, from the Iowa collection:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

<< <i>

<< <i>NewP. This us the sellers images so I'll edit after it comes. Care to guess the grade? >>

I was an underbidder on this coin, I know the grade so I won't share. I thought it had the chance at an upgrade, but wasn't totally convinced, as it looked a little dead in the luster department. Please share what what the luster looks like in hand once you receive the coin >>

I must be finally rubbing off on Valente 151... Although he is not a serious Barber collector,
    he took Glenn and my course last Summer at the ANA Summer Seminars.

Michael: one last time: Name three semi key Barber Dimes ?!

Doug V.,
    That's a great coin you have there.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Pics for this AM, from my collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very nice 01-Os! Not a date I have much luck with.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Original ... Is this the most over-used term in all of numismatics?

Anyway... since all these 1901-O quarters are being posted now, I will post my humble best images of the Baltimore acquisition MS63 .. I haven't posted any of my own images for months as the quality is just so poor it doesn't usually reflect the true look of the coin ... Anyway - I make an exception here and post against my better judgment. Once better images are available next month the coin will be reposted.

This coin reminds me of a raw 1893-O half dollar I bought years ago; it had the exact same type of toning as this coin .. I actually had it graded by ANACS in 2010 and it graded AU58. I sold the coin to Dave Kahn in late 2010 or early 2011. I think he still has it (along with a 1912 Half Dollar he liked so much he wanted for his own personal type set) .. Both coins were graded AU58 by ANACS for the record.

Very original and often truly original coins lack the commercialized eye appeal we all become accustomed to. Coins labeled original are often coins that have been lightly dipped some 20/30/40 years ago and have surfaces devoid of hair lines from abrasive cleaning... nice coins certainly .. It is impossible to declare what is and what is not truly original. I suspect coins with this look are closer to original than not. After all, a truly original coin over 100 years old will look .. well .. like an antique.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Scott- IMHO that is a amazing example of (Originality) as for alot of your coins that I have had the pleasure of seeing. Congrats on the NewPs.. BTW that 95-S Quarter In 58 is the nicest 1 I have ever seen..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Scott, I'd say that's a keeper, and the strike is stronger than you led me to believe. And why can't I hear Tangerine on the radio?

Paesan
    Scott - That's a really nice looking 01-O, you didn't give it enough credit earlier. Look forward to seeing it in hand.

Paesan - I know you've got at least one nice 01-O, a PC50.

Vern
    l
    Very nice looking 1901-O Lenny/Vern ..

As far as the one I posted above, the weakness of strike is seen mostly on 9 of the 13 obverse stars. The rest is decent which is curious to me. Where most of the stars to the right of the portrait are flat and almost flush with the field, I would have expected a similar weakness of strike on the corresponding area on the reverse but it isn't the case ... Anyone with theories or explanations please chime in

One more effort here .. this 1905-O was bought raw at the Manchester show. This is the coin I stated previously that I thought would grade AU58. I believe the MS62 and AU58 grades are almost interchangeable .. in any event there is usually almost no real difference as far as friction, luster and wear goes. What difference there is, to me, is virtually insignificant

imageimage
    imageimage
    Vern, I guess my 01-O will have to do until one of you guys get tired of yours.

My mysterious behind-the-scenes Barber buddy has one in his hoard, errrrr, collection that I'm trying to pry his fingers off of. (Along with a dozen or so 09-O quarters.) Hi, John!

Paesan

PS Scott, Sweet and tough that 05-O is.
  • ceeveeNJceeveeNJ Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I have nothing useful to add except to say that them's some nice lookin' ladies! image
    Coin Search Made Easy -- CoinZilla.com
    Scott - Good look on the 05-O, and great strike. Agree on the 58/62 thought, on true 58's.

Paesan - John? A dozen 09-O's? Interesting.

ceevee - Welcome to the mega-thread.

Pics for this AM, one more 01-O, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of nice 01o quarters.

Had to comment on Vern's raw piece. The color and toning is fantastic. At least on my screen it brings to mind a vintage travel poster- railroad advert or national park- from the Barber era. Like a realist illustration in the palate of the Rocky Mtns.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    Dogwood- I like that!

Paesan
    My newest pickup. It's no where near a 01-O but the toning is what I like.PC-55imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Dennis - Neat comparison.

Mark - Nice pickup.

Pics for this AM, my 01-O half, PC61 (undergraded IMO):

Vern
    l
  • MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Too nice for a 61
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
    Pics for this AM, from the raw set of a friend in northern Illinois:

Vern
    l
    Vern- it seems this mystery friend has a pretty good eye for nice coins
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark - He has some pretty nice coins. Doesn't do registry sets or much else online, tho.

Pics for this AM, a good looking, tough coin that just made a trip south, PC53:

Vern
    l

Thanks for the daily posts, Vern.

I like the coins your Annon. Friend has....
    keep 'em coming. As he doesn't post here,
    and obviously has good taste in Barbers, we
    all would like to see more of his collection.

Nothing new to post... sent in a large group (42)
    of just Quarters to CAC ... Plus a couple of
    last minute stragglers from another forum
    member... So, am looking forward to seeing
    the results. Once these coins are returned, it's
    off to MessyDesks office for imaging.

Having a ball with my new playmate, my 1 yr old
    Male Black and Tan Doberman, Max ( a rescue dog ) who
    is more like an overgrown puppy. Another rescue dog
    is planned and I should have her by the end of the month.
    My friends think I'm nuts - two big dogs - but they have
    each other to play with and they really entertain themselves
    if they are in pairs.

Guess, I won't be making too many shows this year.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Scott, Thanks for 03-S and Vern, thanks for posting.

Mike, Good luck with you CAC submission and congrats on your rescue dog. That's a wonderful thing to do and I hope it makes a great companion.

Paesan
    MFH - Coming from one of the biggest animal lovers there is - I absolutely commend you for the adoption of 2 beautiful Dobermans image

The 1898-S Quarter below was purchased several months ago from a Heritage auction .. It has been sent to a couple fellow collectors and is presently en route to the mid-west .. Bold color and lost of luster .. Clearly dipped and re-toned, the coin still sports nice eye appeal, is very attractive and fully deserving of the AU58 grade it was decreed by our hosts. Scarce in AU and MS and even more scarce in 58 .. this is a very pleasing example in my humble opinion. PS The cut on the cheek is really not even visible in hand .. How the camera lens picks up and magnifies imperfections is well beyond my 2nd grade comprehension level ...

imageimage

Here is one other interesting common date newp .. Very original surfaces and more luster than one may perceive from my low quality images .. Far superior in hand ... All I end up doing is misrepresenting when I try and post images but hey, what does it matter - It's not like I am trying to impress and I am the only one that has to look at them on a regular basis....

imageimage

imageimage
    Scott- both of those coins a beautiful. Although the more common I like the 08-D the best. Very nice
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Mike - Agree 100% with Scott. Rescue dogs are awesome. My 7 month old bulldog Reba says, "Way to go"!

Scott - Both great looking toned coins. Also, a big THANK YOU for the heads up on the 1911 in NGC-58 on eBay. Arrived today and I am very happy image

Lenny - Sweet looking 03s. Nice pickup.

Vern - Thanks again for the constant stream of pictures. Part of my morning routine is getting stuck at the same red light (literally every single morning) and having to wait 3-5 minutes every time for it to turn. Its always about 7:05-7:10 EST, and this is always when I pull up the Mega Thread on my phone to check out the latest beauty you've posted. Whether they're yours or someone else's, they are always fun to look at. Your efforts are truly much appreciated.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Scott - Look forward to that pkg.

Mike/JT - Thanks.

Pics for this AM, another half from my friends collection, this one was PC53:

Vern
    l
    Vern, Did you say PC-53? You meant 63, right??? Holy Cow!!!!

<< <i>Vern, Did you say PC-53? You meant 63, right??? Holy Cow!!!! >>

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    That is one gorgeous Half Dollar Vern .. Probably the nicest 09-O AU Half I have ever seen. Certainly looks all of 55 or even 58 from the luster and sharpness of detail. Always hard to say what is holding it back when grading from an image. I would defer to the grader that saw it in hand. The skin looks fabulous and the luster appears intense.

Remember the hubs for the 1909 Halves and Quarters are different and have a deeper Liberty. Often coins will have full Liberty with the remaining detail of the coin in the G/VG range... Obviously that has nothing to do with this coin .. Just mentioning it where it is a 1909-O
    imageimage
    1892 Quarter in PC-AU58: Pop 285/1369
    1892-O Quarter in PC-58: Pop 102/345
    1893 Quarter in PC-58: Pop 79/259
    1894 Quarter in PC-58: Pop 11/143
    1895-S Quarter in PC-58: Pop 11/67
    1898-O Quarter in PC-58: Pop 21/48
    1902-S Quarter in PC-58: Pop 17/68
    1913 Quarter in PC-58: 15/128

The 1894 Quarter in PC-58 is under-rated as everyone on this forum pretty much knows. It compares with the 1896-O (12), 1895-O (10), 1895-S (11), and others as can be seen above (The above list is just a sample and by no means complete). With 143 coins grading finer, the 1894 is in the is in the lower 50th percentile in terms of total MS Pops. Even still, there are more than enough to go around to satisfy current demand.

PCGS total AU Pop is 39 total coins (50/53/55/58): 8/3/17/11

If one also considers the NGC numbers, there are about twice as many grand total amongst the two grading services:

At NGC, 18 have been graded AU58 and there are 27 total AU graded 1894 quarters at NGC with 129 finer.

Jointly there are then: 29 graded AU58; 66 in all AU grades and 272 graded finer (MS60-MS67+)

I am not saying the 1894 Quarter is rare or even scarce; it is not in my opinion. However, relatively speaking, when comparing to many of the other dates within the series, it is not an easy find (especially with plus eye appeal), and, remains quite under-rated. I recently made a "plastic purchase" of a PCGS AU58 that someone listed on eBay for very short money as a Buy It Now. Buying from images is difficult enough - I was hoping I would be pleasantly surprised but I pretty much got what I thought I was getting .. The coin is nice, just not as nice as I would hope to find (high standards image ) ... Knowing how scarce it is in PCGS AU58 coupled with the price the seller offered it for made it irresistible. I would expect the demand for this coin to remain quite high, and I will keep it, even though I am much more fond of the 55 I have owned for years ...

Disclaimer: My AU58 example is NOT for sale - This is just another in a laundry list of informational posts
    DISCLAIMER #2: The AU58 NOT for sale was the 1894 Quarter referenced in the topic of discussion, not the 1898-S Quarter. Neither are available for sale - Just saying ... image
    imageimage
    Disclaimer? That's hilarious! I'll bet if I offered 1000$ that disclaimer would vanish!

DISCLAIMER: That was not an offer to buy.

<< <i>Disclaimer? That's hilarious! I'll bet if I offered 1000$ that disclaimer would vanish!

DISCLAIMER: That was not an offer to buy. >>

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Leave the guy alone... I sent him a PM about the 1898-S that Scott just posted.
    I misread his post, I thought he was alluding to it being available after it came back
    from the Mid West. ( I assumed he was inferring to sending to to Vern so he could
    examine it. )

He said it's not for sale at the moment - and it seems as if there was a prior offer than mine.

I can't blame Scott for posting the disclaimer. Sometimes, money doesn't talk.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Paesan - It is a pretty nice 53.

Scott - Insightful analysis, as usual.

Pics for this AM, from the Iowa collection, a date that seems to fly under the radar, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Vern,

How appropriate after our conversation yesterday. I'll also second what John and others have said, thank you for your consistent daily postings of beautiful barbers!
    What great coins to collect and what a wonderful hobby.

Doug
    Vern,

I agree that real, eye appealing specimens, XF & AU, of 1900-O are somewhat scarce. Good call!

I also like the 1899-O.

EDIT: The coins are AU 58 CAC (1900-O) & AU 55 CAC (1899-O).

The 1900-O is a really nice 50. It's also a date to be warned about on the a Dime series.
    It's nearly impossible to locate a nice AU. As a matter of fact, the nicest I have located is
    an XF 45 ( aside from MS ). My 1900-O Quarter is a mediocre AU 53 and my Half is a nice
    XF 45. The Dime is the only one I want to replace. If I come across a better looking Quarter,
    then I might go for it. My Half looks perfect for the set.

I am still amazed about the Quarter posted on the previous page that a few thought was a
    Minimum of MS - although I thought it was a typo myself - as it's nowhere near a 53, yet not
    anywhere near a 63 either. I figured it as an AU 58 however. Vern, as they say: " Ya got robbed ! "

Got my two Heritage auction catalogs the other day. Looked over the catalog, with the IPad side
    by Side. There are some amazing coins contained in those catalogs.

Although I do not collect the Barber Hawaiian coinage, there sure are some great mid range MS
    coins available. There is also Proof Dala in NGC 62 CAC. "In the back of the book" there are some
    nice higher end circulated coins. A little bit of everything for everyone.

Ok, have fun exploring the new catalogs and let's hope we all have a spare pair of eyes to preview lots !

So, who is going to Central States ?

Edit: Labelman87.... Nice coins... Your rejuvenated collection is in dire need of another up close inspection !
    Once my four dozen Quarters come back from CAC, we need to get together and have another Show and Tell.
    This time, come on down to Naples and please make sure you bring your Bride ( I hope you are dog people though ).

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Labelman,

Those are 2 very nice coins.I agree that those are tough. Nice original examples have eluded me thus far..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark,
    Patience.

Michael,
    I'll be there when I have a month off to see a part of your collection. Call the bank before I come! image

Mark, This one's for you:

Okay I admit it That coin is sexy with the original skin Craig... I am a sucker for (dirty natural toning) that's why I'm gna sift out all but 2 white coins in my collection.. I had a chance to buy a 93-S in 53 but didn't have that much disposable cash at the time.. I bet it was just as nice looking because of who had it.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    Mark, Craig's is much nicer.

Paesan
    Craig - Nice looking qtrs. Your 93-S looks familiar, from Brier Creek I'm thinking.

Mike - I'll be at Central States, looking forward to the auction and bourse, but most of all to the evening get-togethers with collector friends.

Pics for this AM, that tough 00-O from the Stash, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Wow some real beauties gentleman. I love the 99o and the 00o. Here's one of my favorite New Orleans BQ's in my collection and I can't remember sharing it here before. PC/CAC 55:

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file