Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - Look forward to that pkg.

Mike/JT - Thanks.

Pics for this AM, another half from my friends collection, this one was PC53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern, Did you say PC-53? You meant 63, right??? Holy Cow!!!!
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Vern, Did you say PC-53? You meant 63, right??? Holy Cow!!!! >>

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    That is one gorgeous Half Dollar Vern .. Probably the nicest 09-O AU Half I have ever seen. Certainly looks all of 55 or even 58 from the luster and sharpness of detail. Always hard to say what is holding it back when grading from an image. I would defer to the grader that saw it in hand. The skin looks fabulous and the luster appears intense.

Remember the hubs for the 1909 Halves and Quarters are different and have a deeper Liberty. Often coins will have full Liberty with the remaining detail of the coin in the G/VG range... Obviously that has nothing to do with this coin .. Just mentioning it where it is a 1909-O
    imageimage
  • Options
    1892 Quarter in PC-AU58: Pop 285/1369
    1892-O Quarter in PC-58: Pop 102/345
    1893 Quarter in PC-58: Pop 79/259
    1894 Quarter in PC-58: Pop 11/143
    1895-S Quarter in PC-58: Pop 11/67
    1898-O Quarter in PC-58: Pop 21/48
    1902-S Quarter in PC-58: Pop 17/68
    1913 Quarter in PC-58: 15/128

The 1894 Quarter in PC-58 is under-rated as everyone on this forum pretty much knows. It compares with the 1896-O (12), 1895-O (10), 1895-S (11), and others as can be seen above (The above list is just a sample and by no means complete). With 143 coins grading finer, the 1894 is in the is in the lower 50th percentile in terms of total MS Pops. Even still, there are more than enough to go around to satisfy current demand.

PCGS total AU Pop is 39 total coins (50/53/55/58): 8/3/17/11

If one also considers the NGC numbers, there are about twice as many grand total amongst the two grading services:

At NGC, 18 have been graded AU58 and there are 27 total AU graded 1894 quarters at NGC with 129 finer.

Jointly there are then: 29 graded AU58; 66 in all AU grades and 272 graded finer (MS60-MS67+)

I am not saying the 1894 Quarter is rare or even scarce; it is not in my opinion. However, relatively speaking, when comparing to many of the other dates within the series, it is not an easy find (especially with plus eye appeal), and, remains quite under-rated. I recently made a "plastic purchase" of a PCGS AU58 that someone listed on eBay for very short money as a Buy It Now. Buying from images is difficult enough - I was hoping I would be pleasantly surprised but I pretty much got what I thought I was getting .. The coin is nice, just not as nice as I would hope to find (high standards image ) ... Knowing how scarce it is in PCGS AU58 coupled with the price the seller offered it for made it irresistible. I would expect the demand for this coin to remain quite high, and I will keep it, even though I am much more fond of the 55 I have owned for years ...

Disclaimer: My AU58 example is NOT for sale - This is just another in a laundry list of informational posts
    DISCLAIMER #2: The AU58 NOT for sale was the 1894 Quarter referenced in the topic of discussion, not the 1898-S Quarter. Neither are available for sale - Just saying ... image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Disclaimer? That's hilarious! I'll bet if I offered 1000$ that disclaimer would vanish!

DISCLAIMER: That was not an offer to buy.
  • Options

<< <i>Disclaimer? That's hilarious! I'll bet if I offered 1000$ that disclaimer would vanish!

DISCLAIMER: That was not an offer to buy. >>

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Leave the guy alone... I sent him a PM about the 1898-S that Scott just posted.
    I misread his post, I thought he was alluding to it being available after it came back
    from the Mid West. ( I assumed he was inferring to sending to to Vern so he could
    examine it. )

He said it's not for sale at the moment - and it seems as if there was a prior offer than mine.

I can't blame Scott for posting the disclaimer. Sometimes, money doesn't talk.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Paesan - It is a pretty nice 53.

Scott - Insightful analysis, as usual.

Pics for this AM, from the Iowa collection, a date that seems to fly under the radar, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Vern,

How appropriate after our conversation yesterday. I'll also second what John and others have said, thank you for your consistent daily postings of beautiful barbers!
    What great coins to collect and what a wonderful hobby.

Doug
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

I agree that real, eye appealing specimens, XF & AU, of 1900-O are somewhat scarce. Good call!

I also like the 1899-O.

EDIT: The coins are AU 58 CAC (1900-O) & AU 55 CAC (1899-O).

• Options
    The 1900-O is a really nice 50. It's also a date to be warned about on the a Dime series.
    It's nearly impossible to locate a nice AU. As a matter of fact, the nicest I have located is
    an XF 45 ( aside from MS ). My 1900-O Quarter is a mediocre AU 53 and my Half is a nice
    XF 45. The Dime is the only one I want to replace. If I come across a better looking Quarter,
    then I might go for it. My Half looks perfect for the set.

I am still amazed about the Quarter posted on the previous page that a few thought was a
    Minimum of MS - although I thought it was a typo myself - as it's nowhere near a 53, yet not
    anywhere near a 63 either. I figured it as an AU 58 however. Vern, as they say: " Ya got robbed ! "

Got my two Heritage auction catalogs the other day. Looked over the catalog, with the IPad side
    by Side. There are some amazing coins contained in those catalogs.

Although I do not collect the Barber Hawaiian coinage, there sure are some great mid range MS
    coins available. There is also Proof Dala in NGC 62 CAC. "In the back of the book" there are some
    nice higher end circulated coins. A little bit of everything for everyone.

Ok, have fun exploring the new catalogs and let's hope we all have a spare pair of eyes to preview lots !

So, who is going to Central States ?

Edit: Labelman87.... Nice coins... Your rejuvenated collection is in dire need of another up close inspection !
    Once my four dozen Quarters come back from CAC, we need to get together and have another Show and Tell.
    This time, come on down to Naples and please make sure you bring your Bride ( I hope you are dog people though ).

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Labelman,

Those are 2 very nice coins.I agree that those are tough. Nice original examples have eluded me thus far..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark,
    Patience.

Michael,
    I'll be there when I have a month off to see a part of your collection. Call the bank before I come! image

Mark, This one's for you:

• Options
    Okay I admit it That coin is sexy with the original skin Craig... I am a sucker for (dirty natural toning) that's why I'm gna sift out all but 2 white coins in my collection.. I had a chance to buy a 93-S in 53 but didn't have that much disposable cash at the time.. I bet it was just as nice looking because of who had it.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark, Craig's is much nicer.

Paesan
  • Options
    Craig - Nice looking qtrs. Your 93-S looks familiar, from Brier Creek I'm thinking.

Mike - I'll be at Central States, looking forward to the auction and bourse, but most of all to the evening get-togethers with collector friends.

Pics for this AM, that tough 00-O from the Stash, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Wow some real beauties gentleman. I love the 99o and the 00o. Here's one of my favorite New Orleans BQ's in my collection and I can't remember sharing it here before. PC/CAC 55:

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Seriously jealous of the coins in this thread
  • Options

<< <i>Seriously jealous of the coins in this thread >>

Grant- there are some very nice coins here bit the knowledge u can learn from the (wise ones) is priceless.. do you collect Barbers?
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Nope, can't afford them quite yet. But I will someday.
  • Options
    JT - Nice orig 99-O.

Grant - Welcome to the barber mega-thread.

Pics for this AM, newp from Scott, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Sorry to say, I won't be at Central States. Hope everyone enjoys themselves.

That 1894 Phila Quarter shown above, is really sweet, and for the newbies who read this thread,
    this date is a sleeper date. It's considerably harder to find than the average collector
    realizes. Us old foggies , know it and jump at the chance of picking up a nice example.
    The prices have not gotten out of hand on this date, yet. I just reread Scott's post, he
    agrees with me - as I said our more seasoned collectors know this date well. As Scott
    mentioned, the date is far from rare, but can be a stumbling block when looking to
    complete a collection. I found my most recent one, raw, in a group of Quarters that
    Glenn had taken in on trade. It's now in a PCGS 55 holder.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern- thanks for taking time to post and take all the images.. That 94 quarter is the one I was referring to in my previous post. While I'm not particularly fond of it, having been washed more than once, I admitted it was nothing more than a plastic purchase based on the cost and the difficulty of finding that coin in a choice AU grade.

My most recent newp is an 1898- S quarter in PCGS 64. A pop 9/8 coin which I'm very excited to have acquired
    Surfaces appear very original with nice lightly pastel toned colors
    It will be a few weeks before I get it out to the Midwest for alternate opinions and photography

imageimage
  • Options

Yesterday or the day before, while surfing thru Barber Quarters on eBay,
    I spotted a dream 1898-S in PC 64. My heart skipped a beat, but it's out
    of my budget in MS.

I have a lead on a nice 55 to upgrade my 53.

"DISCLAIMER: It's not for sale ". Lol
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Now that's keeping it light! Nice job!!!! LOL for sure...
  • Options

<< <i> Yesterday or the day before, while surfing thru Barber Quarters on eBay, I spotted a dream 1898-S in PC 64. My heart skipped a beat, but it's out of my budget in MS. >>

Same coin Mike .. the last two 64s sold on Heritage for $4110 - a PCGS 64 in November 2013 and just before that an NGC64 sold for over $6k on Heritage .. This coin looks really pretty with nice surfaces and color and was on eBay for $2875 or best offer .. I got it for $2500 (not to mention the $50 eBay bucks so net $2450 I guess ..) I figure I can't go wrong as it seemed like a pretty sweet looker.. we'll see when I have it in hand

imageimage
  • Options
    Good fortune, Scott! I never saw it and would have not even made the offer. Nicely played hand!

Paesan
  • Options
    Great work Scott. Saw it and thought it looked really nice.

Another great MS addition! image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Scott,

Love the 1898-S as a date and really need a PC64 in my collection. Here is my PC AU58 CAC.

• Options
    Craig - That is one great looking 98s…and very tough!

Vern - Like the 94, and I totally agree with what many have written about regarding its' relative scarcity in nice AU. I have found it to be very tough in XF as well (Coinfacts numbers agree with me as there are a total of 9 in 40/45). Im awaiting the return of a submission at Baltimore that included what I think is a very nice and wholesome original 45 that Ill be excited to add to my set. I have struggled to locate a 55/58 that's not "whitish".

Here is a newer purchase that Ive been meaning to share here. PC/CAC 55 from Vic Bozarth.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• Options
    Craig - I like the look of your 98-S/58 more than I like the look of my 58 .. A few others have a more favorable opinion of my 58 but that is what makes the hobby go around .. The luster is very strong and several others are extremely fond of the vibrant color (from failure to properly rinse post-dip) .... Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the coin, I actually like it .. It just doesn't crack the top 10 in my collection.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott - Look forward to seeing your new 98-S in hand some day. Real nice buy.

Craig - Nice looking coin.

JT - Nice look on your '93.

Pics for this AM, Scott's PC58, 98-S:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern, you must get up the chickens...

Thanks for posting Scott's 1898-S Quarter in 58.
    In less than a week, I have now seen two that I
    absolutely love.... Make that three with Scott's new
    PC 64. For years I have searched and the best that
    I was able to locate in AU, were the two 53's I have
    discussed before.

Congrats are once more in order, Scott. How and where
    you find these is well past me.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ceeveeNJceeveeNJ Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Newb question (and I hope I'm not hijacking this post.)
    What year Barber Half in at least VF-EF condition do you see most often coming up for sale? I'd like to pick one up for my nephew's type collection.

TIA...
    Coin Search Made Easy -- CoinZilla.com
  • Options
    Hi ceeveNJ: I would think the 1892 is very available in most every grade. Some may say it is a little more difficult in VF/XF. Any of the middle dates of the first decade of the 20th century are mostly available: 1906, 1907, 1909, 1912 being the most common IMO.

If you are looking for a date in the 1890's after the I would say is the 1898 or 1899 are equally or even more available in VF/Xf than the 1892

SAM
    imageimage
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi ceeveNJ: I would think the 1892 is very available in most every grade. Some may say it is a little more difficult in VF/XF. Any of the middle dates of the first decade of the 20th century are mostly available: 1906, 1907, 1909, 1912 being the most common IMO.

If you are looking for a date in the 1890's after the I would say is the 1898 or 1899 are equally or even more available in VF/Xf than the 1892

SAM >>

The 92 is a pretty tough cookie in VF while available in XF and better! The 3 most common that come to my mind are 06-D, 07-D, and 09.
  • Options
    Ya .. Darrell's right on .. I was just listing the year. No one knows more than him about Barber Halves
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Ya .. Darrell's right on .. I was just listing the year. No one knows more than him about Barber Halves >>

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Ceevee, I defer to those who have already commented. However, for just a little more you may be able to obtain a better date that will hold its value, and at that grade level it shouldn't be hard to find one. Send one of the fellows a PM and you'll probably get hooked up quickly.

Paesan
  • Options

<< <i>Ceevee, I defer to those who have already commented. However, for just a little more you may be able to obtain a better date that will hold its value, and at that grade level it shouldn't be hard to find one. Send one of the fellows a PM and you'll probably get hooked up quickly.

Paesan >>

+1
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> No one knows more than him about Barber Halves >>

I don't know about that. But all the 92,92-O,and 92-S's are very difficult to find in nice original F-VF. They were either saved or they were not!
  • Options
    Woke up this mornin' feelin' kinda low
    Went to the thread with my mornin' cup a Joe
    No new pix, that's not good news
    Got me a case of them Barber Blues....

Parsan
  • Options
    Hahaha well done Lenny. I got a mean guitar riff for that if you need it.

• Options
    Here ya go Lenny my newP with sellers imagesimageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    ceeveeNJceeveeNJ Posts: 77 ✭✭
    SAM5969, amwldcoin & paesan...

Thanks for the replies. Now to begin the search...
    Coin Search Made Easy -- CoinZilla.com
  • Options
    Good luck ceevee NJ - hope you find what you are after !!

Gotta love the BST - 2 sales in 24 hours. Pleasant, professional, cash deals from professional, polite and courteous folks .. Cherry on top: no haggling from either buyer. Guess some do have an eye for quality and recognize a deal when they see one imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Ceevee - Enjoy the search, find one you like the look of and if it costs an extra dollar or two you'll find it was money well spent.

Paesan - Good to see the Longfellow in you. Well done.

Mark - Nice looking 05-S. Tough date.

Scott - Congrats on the sales.

Pics for this AM, continuing the 98-S theme, Doug's PC55:

And my PC62:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Nice 1898's being posted ...
    Here's my old 1897-O Quarter [ top ]... ... and my current one [bottom ]

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern - I really love the look of your 1898-S 25c MS62!! SUPERB !! ... it actually reminds me of the look of my old 98-S/55 Half Dollar I recently sold to a friend from the south. He is a very finicky collector with a very sharp eye for quality..

Doug - your AU is a STELLAR example .. That is a canned response when any coin from your collection is posted. image

Well done Michael .. I have to say I like the look of your previous coin much more than the new one .. least going by those images .. both are nice but the old one is REALLY nice.... I am glad I had the self-control to let the last Heritage Auction's coins go by or I would be competing with the National Debt

I planned on waiting for the coin to be photoed in the Midwest, but as it came today and I haven't been able to stop staring at it .. And since we had a nice run of 98-S Quarters going .. here is my best attempt at capturing the look.

PCGS MS64

This piece has amazing luster and wonderful, pastel toning. very eye appealing and just a terrific coin
    imageimage
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file