The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of yummy coins! Wish I could post some of my new seated stuff. :-(
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots of yummy coins! Wish I could post some of my new seated stuff. :-( >>

I wouldn't mind image PM's work as well
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Paesan... What's a matter you ?

Try and search for Seated - you'll see
    the Thread I started some time ago.

I thought I'd be playing in that field, but
    the pull of Barbers is too strong !

Scott ... That sure is one sweet 98-S.
    I really think my tastes run in the 58-64
    ranges.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, I'll give it a try, but I don't think it will be like the Barber Megathread!

Paesan
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a seated quarter convert. Took awhile.
    Start a new thread. I'll bring the goods.
    Different crowd though. Don't think there's as much Zeppelin going on there.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Dogwood, That's a good plan, with or without music. I'm looking forward to seeing your coins.

Fade, For 25$, you might be the wisest man here. I think the darkness is hiding some lines, but I'll take a set of those for a quarter apiece.

Paesan
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Remember your PC58, 97-O qtr well.

Scott - Your 98-S looks great, congrats again.

Paesan - I will see if I can't put a few of your seated coins on the seated thread.

Fade - Great buy, don't think the color will impact the grade as much as what might be underneath. Looks like a 40 to me.

Pics for this AM, my 02-O half, which came from Dennis thru the BST, PC45:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Doug - your AU is a STELLAR example .. That is a canned response when any coin from your collection is posted. image

Thanks Scott, I also like the look of your new 98-S. Can't wait to see it when I meet up with Vern at Central States.

Doug
  • Options
    Vern, I'm going to find the seated thread today. Maybe you can post for me there. Nice 02-O half. I believe I have your old AU-50?

Doug, I'm sooooooooooo jealous!

Paesan
  • Options

Paesan - Don't bother looking in the PCGS US Coin Forums - must have been ATS @ NGC.
    I changed the name of the one Thread I had on newps from an 1864 Seated Dollar - PC 53 CAC.

Here is something I have been on the look out for quite some time. If it were in a 58 holder, it
    would be worth twice as much.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Paesan - There is now a seated thread, I'll try and post pics there, like I do here.

Mike - Wonderful looking 05-O in 63. Congrats.

Pics for this AM, a couple of nice circ 05-O's, Scott's PC40:

And my PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

(re: 05-0) all you have to do is circulate it a little, and then send it back in!
  • Options
    Vern- the top 05-O XF40 is mine now. I've had it for a few months. Your 45 is really nice.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike,

(re: 05-0) all you have to do is circulate it a little, and then send it back in! >>

That's risky business! I considered doing that with a 63 but you never know what PCGS will do these days! What if it comes back 55 or 92ed!
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Purchased in NGC plastic. Graded raw by PCGS

GTG
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Was ngc-55
    Now pcgs-58
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    No guess on the previous, but on the photo provided I would say PCGS gave a 62. Granted this a photo, but there doesn't look to be any rub that I can see.
  • Options
    Scott - I like the 03-S. No guess, know the grades.

Pics for this AM, more 05-0's. First one was Mike's, I bought at his August 2011 auction. Later it went to NC, part of a trade as I recall, PC58:

And my current one, pried loose from the Stash, thanks again Paesan, PC63:

Finally, highlight reel goal from Datsyuk. Wings win 1-0. Go Wings.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern, I must have been drunk that day!

Darrell, Agree. Risky business.

I'm not judging, but I could never "circulate" a coin for profit, even if it was a lock.

Paesan
  • Options

<< <i>
    . >>

Well, this is back home in Florida, where she belongs. Glad to have her back.
    I have a couple of other images of this coin which I'll attach once I am off the IPad .

Vern, that is a stunning 05-O Quarter you got from Paesan, oh, and Lenny, keep
    away from the Vino when you're selling... No wait... Let me send you a bottle or two
    before we discuss the sale of a few more things that are cluttering up the safe deposit
    boxes.

John Baumgart's image:

I have to resize some pics for sure !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, Glad you got your 05-O back. Ive seen that coin get moved around over the last 3-4 years and honestly, the transactions have blown me away, but then again, you don't see nice 58s every day and unless you are lucky enough to make one, its a big ticket. Im pretty sure that the 63 that Vern posted came cheaper than the 58, but that is often true in this hobby. As for wine, I prefer Black Label on the rocks with some fresh salted cashews! Enjoys the coins and I hope you find a treasure or two in there.

Paesan
  • Options
    Last but not least in the run of 05-O qtrs, Doug's PC55:

And just because I was discussing this coin recently, my 05-O half, PC40:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    What????? Where's mine???? This is an outrage!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>What????? Where's mine???? This is an outrage!!!!! >>

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Verne...your 05-O halve is typical for an XF...little weak in the strike...but nicer than many I have seen.

If people think this link is inappropriate...let me know and I will remove it. This is an example of how tough PCGS has been in the last 4-6 months:
    1905-O Barber Half
  • Options
    Paesan - The only 05-O qtr I've seen of yours was the beautiful 63 you passed along to me. Or have I misplaced a pic?
    However, I have the beautiful 05-O half you acquired from me awhile back, pictured below.

Darrell - No problem with the link as far as I'm concerned. Yours definitely has more detail than mine. 40 easily. Mine has the better original skin.
    Do you think are hosts are net grading? Based on the graded coins I've seen I'd say no, they just under-graded yours.

Paesan's 05-O half, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Darrell, I agree with Vern. The link fits the theme of the conversation and I don't think it's an attempt to advertise. No problemo!

Vern, thanks for posting my 05-O half. I'll send you my 05-O quarters. I think I have a 40 and a 55, and the 40 is the nicer coin.

Paesan
  • Options

<< <i>Darrell, I agree with Vern. The link fits the theme of the conversation and I don't think it's an attempt to advertise. No problemo!

Vern, thanks for posting my 05-O half. I'll send you my 05-O quarters. I think I have a 40 and a 55, and the 40 is the nicer coin.

Paesan >>

I agree about the link. The 05-O quarters above are stunning. And the halves are just awsome to..

I like my 05-O PC XF40 over a fweek higher graded that I have seen lately. Nice coins everyone
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Verne,Lenny,and Mark...I do not think they net graded the coin. I'm going to bite my toungue here so I don't get banned! The worst case senario for this coin is it was probably dipped in the 60's...no hairlines...or anything that leeds to a net grade. If they are going to net grade all coins that have been dipped at some time they need to re-evaluate 60-70% of the coins they have in holders! David Kahn just laughed when I showed him this coin along with several others. PCGS has been grading 5-10 points tougher since the Nov. Baltimore show for almost every coin I have submitted.

I wish I had a picture of the 40 I have in my set. It has more detail than Vernes and is that nice medium grey we all seem to like. I also wish I had a picture of the POS I would have a tough time grading VF that was in a 40 holder that I sold to a dealer a couple of years ago! Yes it was a plastic purchase for me and the dealer who bought it from me.

I have an 05 I bought from Cary several years ago he cracked out of a 40 holder. I would not have done this if it wasn't for the fact it is 1 of 2 I need to finish my 40 set. I have submitted this coin 3 times and PCGS keeps 35ing it! This may be an example of net grading as it is crusty and many times PCGS doesn't like this. It definately has 45 details and if they ever do grade it for me that is what they will probably do since I don't need a 45! I think I have a picture of it and if I can find it maybe I can get 1 of you guys to post it!

• Options
    Someone say 05-O???? image

• Options
    Justin- Very nice buddy
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Darrell... PM sent...
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 05-O half posted with the link, makes me really glad I bought my 35 from MFH 3 years ago. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>Someone say 05-O???? image

image >>

So you are the rascal that beat me to the punch! ;-)
  • Options

<< <i>I like the 05-O half posted with the link, makes me really glad I bought my 35 from MFH 3 years ago. image >>

Let's see a picture! Times have changed!
  • Options

<< <i>So you are the rascal that beat me to the punch! ;-) >>

Ha! I didn't know you were after it when I bought it. I just know I hounded Mike until he grew weary of me asking and he finally gave in. image
  • Options

<< <i>

Ha! I didn't know you were after it when I bought it. I just know I hounded Mike until he grew weary of me asking and he finally gave in. image >>

LOL! I guess not...I believe the 1 I am referring to was 1 Dennis listed on the BST!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ha! I didn't know you were after it when I bought it. I just know I hounded Mike until he grew weary of me asking and he finally gave in. image >>

LOL! I guess not...I believe the 1 I am referring to was 1 Dennis listed on the BST! >>

Oh...well I had a hand in that one's disappearance as well. image I just wasn't the one to buy it.
  • Options
    Justin! image Email Picture Host Request Sent! image
  • Options
    Darrell's 05-P from Cary.

imageimage
  • Options
    Dnt see a MM.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    It's not an O! It's the 05 I bought from Cary he cracked out of a 40 holder and PCGS had 35'd it 3 times now!

<< <i>Darrell's 05-O from Cary.

imageimage >>

• Options
    Corrected.
  • Options
    I think someone at PCGS has it out for you Darryl lol. That's a sweet coin and I woukd live to have it for 35 money if I were doing halves.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Darrell- Sorry to hear about both 05's not getting the XF grade it looks like they deserve.
    Paesan- Nice looking PC50 05-o.
    Scott- I also like that 03-s. Looks like that quarter set is moving right along.
    Mike- Great looking PC63 05-o. I like that buy.
    Those 05 quarters don't look bad either. Some great looking coins here lately.
  • Options

<< <i>I think someone at PCGS has it out for you Darryl lol. That's a sweet coin and I woukd live to have it for 35 money if I were doing halves. >>

I have never made a 58! Several 62's and lottsa 92's. image I am probably approaching the 1000 mark of Barber half submissions.
  • Options

<< <i>Darrell- Sorry to hear about both 05's not getting the XF grade it looks like they deserve.
    Paesan- Nice looking PC50 05-o.
    Scott- I also like that 03-s. Looks like that quarter set is moving right along.
    Mike- Great looking PC63 05-o. I like that buy.
    Those 05 quarters don't look bad either. Some great looking coins here lately. >>

image I did make a 45 05-O! Figured the 35 would 40-45 and the 1 they 45'd might 50!
  • Options

<< <i>I did make a 45 05-O! Figured the 35 would 40-45 and the 1 they 45'd might 50! >>

Never getting a 58 surprises me.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I did make a 45 05-O! Figured the 35 would 40-45 and the 1 they 45'd might 50! >>

Never getting a 58 surprises me. >>

It is a can of worms if I opened here would get me banned...Loose Lips Sinks Ships! So to say!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file