Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glenn was also a big help to me, selling me what I needed, screening some junk, getting my older raw stuff slabbed. Very fair with sales and trades. A+ good guy!! >>

I agree! Glenn is top notch!
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Classy guy.
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark & Mike - Nice additions.

Agree, Glenn H is a top-notch, collector orientated dealer. One of the best to deal with.

Pics for this PM, from my raw set (hope I haven't posted this before):

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    That raw 09 is a beauty Vern. Love the skin.

I have only met Glenn H once (this past FUN). Bought a heck of a nice 94o BQ from him and enjoyed some friendly and insightful conversation as well. Came away very impressed and definitely always look forward to seeing what new BQs he adds to his inventory.

Here's a brand newp I couldn't resist the minute I saw it. Not a date I was really actively looking for but too nice and too tough to pass up image PC/CAC 55

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Jt- that 05-S has been on my hit list since day 1. I haven't found a XF-AU example for sale at all..

I picked up another dime in OGH and it's got a very interesting either Die Crack or Cracked Planchet. I did the best I could but it's pretty good sized. So here it is 1900-S PC-53 OGH

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JT, Tough coin and great addition. Congrats.
    Mark, nice addition as well.
    Vern, your raw coins never cease to amaze me.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    JT - Good looking 05-S, a date which is very under-rated IMO.

Mark - I'm guessing it's die damage. Nice coin besides.

Pics for tonight, newp into the Stash, IMO it's either a circulated proof, or a business strike on proof dies (not that my pics show this very well), PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd also like to give a wholehearted "thumbs up" to Glenn Holsonbake. Over the years I've purchased numerous Barbers from him. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a stickler for customer service and Glenn is top notch in that regard. He's genuinely interested in making customers, not just sales. Glenn has my highest possible recommendation.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, another from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- this raw quarters all look like sisters just different ages. a well matched set.

Here's something I bought because I thought it has something kewl about the obverse. Maybe doubled or tripled. The toning is pretty as well. The few ticks on the neck and cheek are the only distractions but I overlook them. What do yall think ?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Mark,

Toning like that is not often seen; looks completely original.
    If the neck scratch - albeit minor - doesn't bother you, then
    great ! Is it raw and are you putting it into a Dansco Album ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike it's in a small white Anacs AU-55 holder. I like the holders so I may leave it as is.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark - Can't tell about doubling from the pics, but to me the originality of the coin outweighs the marks.

Pics for tonight, newp into the Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern,

Appreciate you're showing off others' coins as I look forward to all your posts
    knowing that the Barber Thread will continue to chug along, hopefully long after
    we fade from the scene !

I would think it would be interesting if we add to your posts by showing off our
    coins of the same date in our sets.

Such as you just posted Len Rizzo's 1893-P, now, it would be nice to see your example(s),
    followed in queue by Doug Veal's coin(s), and so on and so forth. The other participants can
    add their examples along the way to complete the group.

Or, if you prefer, start with 1892 Phila coins ... Then add the other mints... As we go along it
    would make a great display, IMHO.

Picked up a few newps this weekend. Will add images once off the iPad. One of my old favorites,
    a 1904-S Dime, ex: Tom Casey Collection, which was sold two years ago at the ANA Auction in
    August, 2011, was on Great Collections tonight ( Thanks, again, Ritesh for notifying me ) and I
    picked it up for less money than what I sold it for. Good Deal !!!

imageimage

Couple of neat Quarters got in the win column today as well. Yeah !! 😊

Images will be posted soon.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Great to see you picked up that 1904-S. It did go cheap! Well, I think its back on its way home, where it belongs! Maybe you could bring it to the ANA show this year, so I could see her in person?
  • Options
    Picked up a very interesting 16-D earlier wonder what caused it..

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mike - I like your idea. And congrats on the reacquisition of the 04-S dime at a favorable price.

Mark - Good looking 16-D. Looks like album toning with a little twist. Hard to say why.

Pics for tonight, some 1893's. My only one is in my raw set, acquired back in 2005:

Also, here is another raw selection from Scott. Don't know if he still has it, or if it's now in a slab:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    One of my 1893's... will post the other later.... as an edit to this post !

Edit to add most recent addition of the 1893-P

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally have something to contribute!

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armen,

Are you going to have this 01-s quarter at your table in balt, a friend wants me to look at it
  • Options
    Mike - Great color on your 93.
    And nice haul from HA on Sunday.

Armen - Nothing like starting in a big way. Thanks for posting.

Pics for this AM, more 93's, first Doug's then Scott's, both PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    AMRC- that 01-S is a special peice. The rim ding at 11o'clock on reverse is the only big distraction but tolerable.

Vern- Doug-Scott-Those 93p are all beautiful. I only have 1 coin dated 93 so far and it's special to me.so no matter if I find a higher grade or toned example this 1 will never ever leave it's home. I posted it a few weeks ago but since Mikes idea to play follow the leader it seems appropriate. PCGS 55 OGH hopes it gets a Bean soon.beca use I think it's a solid 58 any day of the week.

On another note I did manage to grab another sweet coin that I hope is as original in-Hand as the photos suggest. 1903 PC58

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice 01-s quarter. Has a good 'dirty used coin' look. Are we guessing grades? 35?

That 03-p is a surprise. I love the chalky buckskin toning. But the wear looks 50-ish to me. I'm sure a good personal inspection will tell how it garnered a 58.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice 01-s quarter. Has a good 'dirty used coin' look. Are we guessing grades? 35?

That 03-p is a surprise. I love the chalky buckskin toning. But the wear looks 50-ish to me. I'm sure a good personal inspection will tell how it garnered a 58. >>

Dogwood- i to like the skin on the 03p. I have been noticing the more diverse I get in buying and trading for the quarters in my collecting the grades from early mint and later minted coins seems to be a world apart in some instances or some years the coins had much weaker strikes than others. The coin will be here by tomorrow hopefully and I'll snap some better pics. I also agree the 01-S looks 35 to me as well.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Mark, nice looking 03 quarter. But I agree with dogwood, looks AU53 at best. Maybe it's the photos. Also, I don't think that's a rim ding at 11 o'clock on the reverse of the posted 01-S. It looks more like a
    deformity in the plastic.

Doug

• Options
    Yep I actually looked closer. It cast a small shadow. So it is a deformity. So after I get the 03 in hand I will know but do yall think i should take it to Baltimore for reconsideration?
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark, if you like the coin and got it for a fair price, that's all that matters. Don't waste your time and money sending in an over-graded coin for reconsideration.
    I have several over-graded coins in my set that I'm very happy with, I don't really care what the label says.

All the best,
    Doug
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug

• Options
    Dennis - Our hosts graded the above 01-S as a 45. Hmmmmmm?

Mark - Agree with Doug & Craig on your '03.

Pics for this AM, 1903's. Doug's in PC55, and my raw selection (don't have an AU/MS yet):

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Can't resist, my 01-S, PC35:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Just back from our hosts, a newp from last month. Those who thought XF40 agreed with PC:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern-Congrats on the nice grade for ur half.

Well I received my GC package and from looking at the 03p I honestly don't see the 53 worth of wear on the coin. The light on my loupe died and with my poor vision I will have 1 of you fellas that are coming to Baltimore take a look at it.. Scott-JT- i assume yall are gna make it. I will be there Early Saturday. If anyone else is coming I would like to meet and play show and tell.. maybe do some buying and or trading. I will attempt some pictures later and edit this post.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Vern - great pictures of the runs of 1893, 1903 quarters and it goes without saying no one ever tires of seeing your exceptionally well preserved 1901-S quarter collection (or your L of C raw collectionimage )...WoW with two capital Ws

Baltimore show was thriving and very active .. Lots of great people and great coins. Met Glenn Holsonbake for the first time amongst numerous other dealers and collectors. Saw Darryl and his wife, Olga and met JT for the first time earlier as well .. Super people

Made one purchase so far: a 1901-0 quarter in PC-63.. softly struck in areas with deep original toning not necessarily excitingly attractive but stills very excellent purchase if I do say so myself .. Got 5 coins back from PCGS - two are 95-S quarters: one was the NGC S/S which came back 62 (NGC graded it 62 also). It is very seldom I say a coin is under graded, though I am leaning towards not knowing how to grade because I think this coin is at least a whole grade higher (as does the submitter, a very experienced dealer in Barber Coins.). However, the fact NGC graded her 62, followed by a CAC green bean then having PCGS grade her 62, remind you, raw.. No crossovers.. Pretty much tells me they got it right .. And I can't grade!
    The other 1895-S, (the coin from the Manchester show that went out to The Midwest ... along with the 1895-P), came back 58 as expected. A 1905-O qtr I purchased earlier this year at the Manchester New Hampshire show came back 62. Holding these 2 coins side-by-side, it is painfully clear these two coins should not have the same grade. The last coin was a 1903-S which I bought in an NGC 58 holder, came back 58 as well. All coins were submitted raw. Both The raw and NGC 95-S quarters have each been pictured on the thread by Vern as well as the 1903-S when it was in the NGC holder. Several others will not be graded for another 4 weeks or so including a raw 1908-S 58sh, along with an 1893-P/ 55ish, an 1899-0 that if it grades should be a 62 and the aforementioned 1895-P

I don't know how tomorrow could top today only. I will be there for only a few hours anyway.
    More to follow as time permits

And to top it all off I got the good news that my 1904-S half- PC-53/CAC, has been sold
    Scott

Edited for grammar and spelling miscues courtesy of Siri
    imageimage
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Scott - Great talking with you today. I wholeheartedly agree that your 01-0 was a heck of a purchase image I really enjoyed getting a chance to look at some of the absolutely awesome BQ's you had with you and talking Barbers.

Mark - I wish I could go back on Saturday, but today was it for me. Hope you enjoy the festivities on Saturday.

I had a great time today all the way around. Picked up 2 really sharp common date examples for my set that I am really happy with, a 1908 D in PC/CAC 55 from Glenn H and a 1916 D from Vic Bozarth in PC58 might just be one of my new top 10 in terms of eye appeal image

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Scott - Sounds like you had a great first day at the show. Congrats on the 01-O purchase, and the other successful transactions. Look forward to pics of the 01-O..

JT - Looks like you also had a stellar day. Congrats on the two wonderful acquisitions.

According to Stack's website, the 13-S in 58 realized $12,925, including the juice. Two people I know saw the coin in hand and were not impressed at all.
    Still, it realized more than I thought it would, showing the power of plastic.
    Link to 13-S

Pics for tonight, a much better looking 13-S in PC55:

Note to RA, hope to take pics of yours, perhaps at our next visit.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern,

My guess of 11k for the AU58 13-S wasn't close, I'm very surprised by the price as well.

Doug
  • Options

Vern,

Thanks for showing my old 13-S - it was good to see it again.
    The Stack's coin couldn't hold a candle to it. You have a great
    set of Barber Quarters and it's fitting that my coin is secure in
    your collection.

My old coin once resided in an ICG 58 holder when I bought it
    from David Lawrence Rare Coins and I still feel it deserves that
    grade designation, especially after seeing what qualified for a 55.

Looking forward to hear the Show Thread Posts from Scott, JT and
    Darrell. Glenn mentioned that he sold a couple of my old coins in
    Baltimore.

Was there a BCCS meeting ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I'll be in Baltimore in the morning. I'm gna be looking for some raw quarters and to sell a few other coins. That 13-S of Vern is a sexy beast..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mike,So far the show is going well...sure wish a coin I needed would show itself! I have sold several better date 1/2's as well as purchased or taken in on trade close to a box of 20! There was a Barber Club meeting...was basically In ICTA meeting with a last minute dash to the meeting from Glenn to talk about the Barber 1/2 survey coming up. It was the least attended Barber Club meeting I have been to but was still enjoyable! I did make mention of Analayst's Article on Barber Halves! Analayst's Barber Half Article What do you guys think about it?
  • Options
    Barber Post - Ron Hedden

I found this Thread interesting. Needed to be attached to the Mega Thread !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Barber Post - Ron Hedden

I found this Thread interesting. Needed to be attached to the Mega Thread !! >>

WHAT! No Reply Mike!!! What do you think???????
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Barber Post - Ron Hedden

I found this Thread interesting. Needed to be attached to the Mega Thread !! >>

WHAT! No Reply Mike!!! What do you think??????? >>

I have read the article and found it must have been written five years ago - and like you mentioned - the figures just do not add up.

I can not fathom where in 2014 figures like the writer posted were drawn from. You have the pulse of the business and
    you deal with almost every date and grade in the Half Dollar set just about every day. I on the other hand, hardly look
    at the pricing of AU 55-MS 63's any more. Before 2011, I assembled a wonderful collection and was very observant then.

Today, my focus on Halves is the upgrade of three dates - having VF30-35 and trying to locate XF 45 - AU 53's.

My current focus is back to Quarters - and at 75% complete - the balance of what is missing are extremely difficult to locate.
    I recently picked up a couple of minor upgrades and one Quarter I coveted... the 1897-O in PCGS 55 ... a coin I'm thrilled to have won.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Darrell - Glad to see the barber half article in Coin Week. Any publicity is good publicity, even if the numbers quoted aren't quite the way of the real world. Of course, being a barber quarter fan, my first exception was the second paragraph of heading III:

"The least scarce Barber Halves are much scarcer than the least scarce Barber Quarters, Barber Dimes, Liberty Nickels, Indian Cents, Walking Liberty Half Dollars, Morgan Silver Dollars, and Indian Head Quarter Eagles. All issues of Barber Halves much scarcer than 1901-S Eagles or 1904 Double Eagles ($20 gold coins). Even so, it is important to distinguish the least scarce Barber Halves from the ‘better dates.’ "

My experience has been that common date barber quarters are much scarcer than common date barber halves across a wide range of collector grades. And if one further stipulates problem-free original examples, the difference is even greater. These statements ought to get the attention of you barber half fanatics.

I'm certain your discussion of specific values of the tougher early date halves is considerably more realistic than those quoted in the article. If I were the author, I would have contacted you and Arnie before I published my article.

Mike - Always glad to post those pics of the 13-S in AU55 that I bought in the 2011 Heritage auction of your collection. I must point out that it no longer belongs to me, as I sold it to a collector friend not long after I acquired my current MS64 example.

Pics for this PM, a perfect looking, IMO, common date half bought raw many years ago, now PC35:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Had a great time in Baltimore today. Only spent about 1.5 hours at the coin show. I met Glenn and did a little buisness which was a pleasure. I didn't see but a handful of AU quarters slabbed and if they were slabbed it was 1909 or 1892 or 1914. Most common dates there it seemed. I did see a pretty nice 1901-S AU-50 had a nice skin and decent strike. I can't remember the fellas name but if I had the chance to go back and had the cash I would have snatched it up..
    On another note my wife and kids came and the Whitman crew do a great job with the Kids Korner and they got alot of kewl coins and a RedBook. After the show we went to the Aquarium which was pretty kewl as well.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Verne

Interesting point about the quarters. It will be interesting to see how this evolves as the quarters seemed to have started the trend the halves did about a year later. I have not concentrated on the quarters like I do the halves....but in years gone by it always seemed more difficult to find nicer halves than it did quarters. But I was always more interested in the halves so not as much attention has been paid to the quarters! Nice common date 1/2 Verne!

Mark if the guys name was Crabtree that 01-S was 46K!
  • Options
    It may have been Crabtree. Not sure he was at a corner table. Had alot of nice raw quarters in coin boards. I didn't ask the 01-S price. Just looked at it. I came by your table on 2 different occasions. The lady said u were gone but would be back soon..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Hi all actually posting this from the plane on the way home. First off Baltimore turned out to be a solid B thus far and it may go up to A+ depending upon a couple possible follow up things started there. It was great to see a few of you there and Mark it was awesome to meet you and the family. Sorry I couldn't take more time but at a show like this it was typical bedlam and 10 things at the same time. I want to put a shout out to Michael and Weston and parents. My YN help did an awesome job and I hope they can join me in future shows.

This was my 4th show in 5 weeks and Vegas this week coming up. What a stretch and so far behind on photos. It's been a one man show but I'll keep plugging and working on it. Darrel thanks good to see you too!

Glenn
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    Sorry I missed you Mark. Bad habits and finally picked up 2 coins I needed for my sets(albiet they are hole fillers until I find nicer ones)! The lady was my wife! I wish I could get her to interact more! I was usually only away for 5 -10 minutes. That was definately Crabtree...down from my table on the left?
  • Options
    Glenn! I am a 3/4 man show as I have to attend to my wife's whims at times! image

It was great to see you also!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file