Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Your wife was a very sweet lady. Yes Crabtree it is then. I wish I woulda got a card. He had a few raw quarters I wanted but was gone before I got back from the aquarium. Congrats on your Newp btw
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your wife was a very sweet lady. Yes Crabtree it is then. I wish I woulda got a card. He had a few raw quarters I wanted but was gone before I got back from the aquarium. Congrats on your Newp btw >>

I think she is to Mark! One of these days we will meet. I will see if I can get Crabtrees info for you.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Verne, I was also thinking the author should have contacted Liz Coggins with Teaparty,Glenn with Pony Express,Harry Laibstein,David Larwence,and Northern Nevada as well to name a few!
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark - Glad to hear Balt went well for you and the family. I'm sure it was Jim Crabtree who had the 01-S qtr in PC50. He's had it for a while, last time I saw it was in 2011 and his price was $46.5K.

Glenn - Busy schedule. Look forward to seeing you at Central States next month.

Darrell - It will be interesting to see what others here think about the qtr/half scarcity issue.

Pics for this AM, the 13-S that replaced Mike's 55 in my AU-MS collection, PC64 (OGH). First noticed by sharp-eyed Dennis (thanks again Dennis) in the BST:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Gorgeous.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Wow Vern! image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern.... My memory must be slipping, of course you sold my old
    1913-S Quarter - it slipped my mind. I am glad it's residing in our
    mutual friend's collection. As you said, he'll hold that coin forever.
    I have his cell phone and home phone just in case I hit Lotto and
    can offer him a ridiculous return on his investment.

I received my winnings yesterday from Heritage. The 1897-O in 55
    is beautifully toned and the 1906-O in 58 is as nice as any 58 I own.
    What's funny, sort of, I had placed my bid for the 06-O about one day
    before I bought a Half Dozen Barber Quarters from JT Thomas. The
    06-O from JT, although a strong 55 with ample luster, can't hold a candle
    to the 58 I just received. Yet again, the 55 was half the price of the 58.
    I would have been perfectly content with JT's 55 and wouldn't have gone
    after the 58. Well, now I have two great coins that are considerably more
    difficult than the casual Barber collector realizes.

A good friend and I divided the large group of Heritage Quarters up, and he won a
    couple of beauties - paid thru the Kaz-Zoo for them - but he's pleased as punch.
    He and I realized that we both couldn't will all the coins on out want list - so - we
    both picked out a couple of coins that we'd "put the pedal to the metal". This system
    worked for us. I'm sure it's worked for others as well. It's senseless to knowingly
    Jack up prices for our friends. Sometimes, it can't be helped.

I am sorry I was not at Baltimore, but I had a good friend down from Boston visiting
    and he left the day I would have flown up - but - I received a call from the Doberman
    Rescue League, they took in a dog that is a "surrender"' dog ( an FBI agent was transferred
    and couldn't take the dog with him ) . The dog is a Black Male with its ears cropped and it's
    tail is docked. It's only 18 months old. I pick up the dog up on Tuesday. If anyone knows the
    breed personally, you'll understand how thrilled I am. I already have plans on getting another
    Rescue Doberman ( - 19 Months Old - Red Female - Natural Ears - docked tail ) . This week
    after I pick up the Male, I'll bring him to Ft Myers to meet the Female - to be sure the two
    get along for the get go. Females are the hardest to introduce to Males - so - I wanted the
    Male first. It all worked out for me finally. Only took a few months !! Images to follow.

After a year or so, the next time you see me, I should be back to my normal weight - and not
    "my retirement sit on my butt and do nothing weight"' image

Happy hunting, everyone !!

I sniped this little wonder....

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Congrats on all the acquisitions, and hope all goes well with your training regime.

Pics for this AM, a newp for me, acquired from the Stash, thanks again Paesan, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern - Gorgeous looking 93.

Mike - Congrats on the Heritage pickups. Really glad to hear your praise for the 06o PC58 that you won on Heritage specifically. I would LOVE to see some non-Heritage photos of that coin. I liked it (as well as a few others that you won) but was terrified that the coins would have more obvious distractions (i.e. naked eye visible scratches or hairlines) than the pictures allowed. I have won several coins from HA and will continue to be a bidder in the future, but I have become much more cautious about their photos in the past year or so. Fool me once……….

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

JT - can't say I do not blame you-
    the 97-O is acceptable - the toning sold
    me on the coin -

Glenn told me something which rings true
    in the case of nicely toned coins:

( Sorry if I butchered this ! )

" Toning forgives a little and hides a lot ! "

There is another 97-O in 58 coming up soon;
    I may have to reach for the 58 / and sell off
    the 55 !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upgraded a coin in my dime Registry set for the first time in a while: 1894-o. I previously had a PCGS XF40 that is original but looks like a VF30. It's way out of place in my "mostly BU, some AU's" set. I have been looking to upgrade the date for several years; it's a tough one. I found this one on HJB's website this morning. They have been force-feeding nice Barbers to me during the past month! I really only need to upgrade 1905-O and 1909-O with Uncs. to get my set to where I can call it "finished." I have thought recently about breaking the set up and only keeping a few of my favorite coins, so I guess this purchase makes no sense. image

This 1894-O is graded PCGS AU58, and with a population of just 4 coins in the most popular Everyman grade, it's in high demand. The marks on the neck bother me a little, but the coin is a true AU58 with near-full luster.

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Nice contribution Rhedden .. Congrats on your accomplishments! Always good to see your thoughts and posts...

As far as Heritage goes, I totally agree JT ... Same with Stack's and any other internet auction - Buyer POSITIVELY Beware. After confirming at lot viewing in Baltimore what I already suspected regarding this coin, I feel sorry if the bidder of the 13-S/58 in the recent Stack's Auction bid blind. Actually I don't feel that sorry .. Anyone bidding 5 figures without looking at the coin in hand gets what they deserve

Speaking of 1897-O Quarters, I was fortunate enough to be afforded the opportunity to view three 1897-O Quarters in hand recently - a 53 and two 55's .. I was actually able to pick my favorite of the 3 to upgrade my AU50 and what a great score I was able to land - thank you Paeasan!! We Italians gotta stick together ya know image

I hope to have the 1901-O in PCGS 63 imaged by another collector from the mid-west in the next few weeks. I came close to not buying this coin as the strike is weak even for a 1901-O and the toning, while totally original and delicate, is not the most appealing... But it is a 1901-O Quarter - it is fully MS - It IS NOT washed out or bleached white so I guess it ain't all bad

The 1906-O Quarter is one of the anomalies in the series where MS coins are plentiful (not just available; plentiful) - with over 250 certified Mint State examples just between PCGS and NGC alone (not to mention all the raw ones or ANACS certified, etc.). With a little patience and searching, MS62/63 coins can be located in the $500 range and nice specimens at that. I would speculate many of those MS62 coins could grade AU58 on a different day at a TPG .. As I was telling another collector, for my money I would not be averse to buying two MS coins in 62/63; keeping the nicer of the two in the holder and cracking the other out and "wearing" it down to choice AU ..It may be a little work and a little "trial and tribulation" but that is 80% of the fun for me in my collecting.

Mike/Glenn - Toning does hide a lot - I agree .. As long as the toning is or appears deep, rich and original (primary), and is eye appealing to my eyes, I will continue to collect naturally (or perceived to be) toned coins.

Glenn - Very nice to meet you in Baltimore - you are a professional's Professional. I hope all is well with you and yours image
    The past year or so I have really been pursuing raw coins and getting the worthiest ones slabbed - Just recently two 1895-S Quarters bought in the wild have added to the PCGS pops in grades of 58 and 62. I had the 58 as a 58 or even a 58 plus and the other as a solid 63 - DK strongly agrees and recommends a resubmit being in order. The same submission returned a 1905-O Quarter I had pegged as a 58 come back 62; a beautiful, fully original 1903-S Quarter (this was not bought raw - it was purchased in an NGC58 for fractions of what the same coin would command in a PCGS holder also came back 58. I was on the fence thinking it was a 55/58 liner myself. It was submitted raw by the way - not for cross. I am still waiting on results for an 1895 that I grade 62. The same submission has that 1902-S Quarter purchased in the NNC62 slab. I never expected that one to grade (quest color) although DK felt otherwise and thought it had a better than 50/50 shot at grading (MS62ish). Other coins included a 1908-S I grade 58 (if it straight grades; I am 50/50 on this one) and a 1899-O I also grade 58... Should have those coins in about 3-4 weeks.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott- Congrats on your submission. I have been searching for those same dates and cnt find them. Except the 05-O in which I am completely contempt with. The 95-S has eluded me and the 03-S and 02-S I returned earlier this year has become a bad decision.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Scott - Ill reiterate what a pleasure it was to view many of the coins you described above in Baltimore. Ill look forward to when you get to post some pics. A truly impressive group (not to mention the "other" 01o you whipped out!)

Mark - FWIW, I wouldnt view returning an 02s or 03s that you didn't like a "mistake" just because you haven't found one in either date since you made that decision. Those are two toughies as you know, so when you do end up with one you really like, it will be that much more rewarding. JMHO image

I just got the last of my Baltimore show purchases in the mail today. Had seen this one on eBay for quite awhile, so I asked the dealer about it and although they didn't have the coin with them, they were happy to sell it to me at a much more palatable figure than the eBay asking price. Really happy to add this one. PC/CAC 58

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Scott,

I look forward to seeing your 1901-O imaged. I don't remember the last time I posted my 1901-O; so for those who haven't viewed it see the attached. Unfortunately, I have found it takes years to find "the right coin, in the right grade, with the right look". A friend of mine says that I am fussy - so be it.

EDIT: The Stack's 1913-S was one to definitely pass on IMO.
    Craig

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great 1901-O quarter. It has the look of a 1901-O Morgan that just came out of an original BU roll. Let me know if you find any BU rolls of the quarters. image

• Options
    Craig - that 1901-O Quarter is perfection personified (image) .. Absolutely gorgeous. I agree with Rhedden's description. Looks like a 64 to me ?

The coin I bought won't hold a candle to that one. Congrats!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Ron,

imageimageimageimage

Here's to you!!! imageimage

Edit: Scott, thanks. It's a 64 CAC with a great look, in hand.
    Craig

• Options
    image...Love it when my old 01-O Quarter shows up again.

Craig, the image you're using was from Legend... Why not
    use the one Messydesk used ? It's a great coin, I wish I could
    locate the AU that was replaced by the MS 64.

Craig... Please post your newps from the San Francisco Heritage sale.
    Although the 02 sold for outrageous money, it was a fantastic coin.

No newps to report.... Just my new 18 month old Doberman...
    he's got to be one of the nicest Dobe's I've ever met. What a
    Sweetheart !! Picked him up today !!

Ron.... Congrats on the 94-O Dime.... I just checked my set, I have
    a pretty decent XF 45... as memory serves me, I believe I had a 55
    in my last set. It's a hard date to find, as you are well aware !

Scott.... Very fortunate to be able to pick and choose from Lenny's
    collection. Errr... I mean Stash, he isn't calling it a collection, is he ?
    Or, am I confused ? Is it you who isn't assembling a set ? Whatever,
    having three nice coins to critique is a wonderful experience.

Mark, keep plugging away, you'll locate the right coin in the right grade
    and, hopefully, at the right price. There are many collectors for Quarters.
    It's harder now than it was 15 years ago.

JT, how and where you locate all your finds keeps me very entertained.
    Don't know how you do it, but you're doing a bang up job.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    NewP. This us the sellers images so I'll edit after it comes. Care to guess the grade?imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mike,

Sorry, my old quarter LOL

_________
    Craig
    Craig

• Options

Mark.... The grease smudge on the reverse leads me to believe
    that coin is an AU 58. Pretty coin.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Craig.... You're a riot !

Aren't you glad you did grab some
    of my old collection ? Should have
    grabbed more !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NewP. This us the sellers images so I'll edit after it comes. Care to guess the grade? >>

I was an underbidder on this coin, I know the grade so I won't share. I thought it had the chance at an upgrade, but wasn't totally convinced, as it looked a little dead in the luster department. Please share what what the luster looks like in hand once you receive the coin
  • Options
    Michael I sure wish I woulda known you were bidding. I usually dnt go after a coin so hard but I thought it had potential.. I will never Crack it out though. I will update when it comes..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Rhedden - Congrats of the acquisition of a tough, tough coin, and thanks for posting.

Scott - Great job on the returns from our hosts. I second your thoughts, well stated as usual.

JT - Good looking 07-O, congrats. Especially like the better price out side of ebay part.

Craig - Always good to see your 01-O in 64. Really a lustrous, eye appealing toughie.

Mark - I'll guess 55. Pics don't give an indication of luster. Be interested to hear how coin looks in hand.

Pics for tonight, the 01-O that sets the standard for a 58, from the Iowa collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>NewP. This us the sellers images so I'll edit after it comes. Care to guess the grade? >>

I was an underbidder on this coin, I know the grade so I won't share. I thought it had the chance at an upgrade, but wasn't totally convinced, as it looked a little dead in the luster department. Please share what what the luster looks like in hand once you receive the coin >>

I must be finally rubbing off on Valente 151... Although he is not a serious Barber collector,
    he took Glenn and my course last Summer at the ANA Summer Seminars.

Michael: one last time: Name three semi key Barber Dimes ?!

Doug V.,
    That's a great coin you have there.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, from my collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very nice 01-Os! Not a date I have much luck with.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Original ... Is this the most over-used term in all of numismatics?

Anyway... since all these 1901-O quarters are being posted now, I will post my humble best images of the Baltimore acquisition MS63 .. I haven't posted any of my own images for months as the quality is just so poor it doesn't usually reflect the true look of the coin ... Anyway - I make an exception here and post against my better judgment. Once better images are available next month the coin will be reposted.

This coin reminds me of a raw 1893-O half dollar I bought years ago; it had the exact same type of toning as this coin .. I actually had it graded by ANACS in 2010 and it graded AU58. I sold the coin to Dave Kahn in late 2010 or early 2011. I think he still has it (along with a 1912 Half Dollar he liked so much he wanted for his own personal type set) .. Both coins were graded AU58 by ANACS for the record.

Very original and often truly original coins lack the commercialized eye appeal we all become accustomed to. Coins labeled original are often coins that have been lightly dipped some 20/30/40 years ago and have surfaces devoid of hair lines from abrasive cleaning... nice coins certainly .. It is impossible to declare what is and what is not truly original. I suspect coins with this look are closer to original than not. After all, a truly original coin over 100 years old will look .. well .. like an antique.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott- IMHO that is a amazing example of (Originality) as for alot of your coins that I have had the pleasure of seeing. Congrats on the NewPs.. BTW that 95-S Quarter In 58 is the nicest 1 I have ever seen..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Scott, I'd say that's a keeper, and the strike is stronger than you led me to believe. And why can't I hear Tangerine on the radio?

Paesan
  • Options
    Scott - That's a really nice looking 01-O, you didn't give it enough credit earlier. Look forward to seeing it in hand.

Paesan - I know you've got at least one nice 01-O, a PC50.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Very nice looking 1901-O Lenny/Vern ..

As far as the one I posted above, the weakness of strike is seen mostly on 9 of the 13 obverse stars. The rest is decent which is curious to me. Where most of the stars to the right of the portrait are flat and almost flush with the field, I would have expected a similar weakness of strike on the corresponding area on the reverse but it isn't the case ... Anyone with theories or explanations please chime in

One more effort here .. this 1905-O was bought raw at the Manchester show. This is the coin I stated previously that I thought would grade AU58. I believe the MS62 and AU58 grades are almost interchangeable .. in any event there is usually almost no real difference as far as friction, luster and wear goes. What difference there is, to me, is virtually insignificant

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Vern, I guess my 01-O will have to do until one of you guys get tired of yours.

My mysterious behind-the-scenes Barber buddy has one in his hoard, errrrr, collection that I'm trying to pry his fingers off of. (Along with a dozen or so 09-O quarters.) Hi, John!

Paesan

PS Scott, Sweet and tough that 05-O is.
  • Options
    ceeveeNJceeveeNJ Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I have nothing useful to add except to say that them's some nice lookin' ladies! image
    Coin Search Made Easy -- CoinZilla.com
  • Options
    Scott - Good look on the 05-O, and great strike. Agree on the 58/62 thought, on true 58's.

Paesan - John? A dozen 09-O's? Interesting.

ceevee - Welcome to the mega-thread.

Pics for this AM, one more 01-O, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of nice 01o quarters.

Had to comment on Vern's raw piece. The color and toning is fantastic. At least on my screen it brings to mind a vintage travel poster- railroad advert or national park- from the Barber era. Like a realist illustration in the palate of the Rocky Mtns.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Dogwood- I like that!

Paesan
  • Options
    My newest pickup. It's no where near a 01-O but the toning is what I like.PC-55imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Dennis - Neat comparison.

Mark - Nice pickup.

Pics for this AM, my 01-O half, PC61 (undergraded IMO):

Vern
    l
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Too nice for a 61
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, from the raw set of a friend in northern Illinois:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- it seems this mystery friend has a pretty good eye for nice coins
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark - He has some pretty nice coins. Doesn't do registry sets or much else online, tho.

Pics for this AM, a good looking, tough coin that just made a trip south, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Thanks for the daily posts, Vern.

I like the coins your Annon. Friend has....
    keep 'em coming. As he doesn't post here,
    and obviously has good taste in Barbers, we
    all would like to see more of his collection.

Nothing new to post... sent in a large group (42)
    of just Quarters to CAC ... Plus a couple of
    last minute stragglers from another forum
    member... So, am looking forward to seeing
    the results. Once these coins are returned, it's
    off to MessyDesks office for imaging.

Having a ball with my new playmate, my 1 yr old
    Male Black and Tan Doberman, Max ( a rescue dog ) who
    is more like an overgrown puppy. Another rescue dog
    is planned and I should have her by the end of the month.
    My friends think I'm nuts - two big dogs - but they have
    each other to play with and they really entertain themselves
    if they are in pairs.

Guess, I won't be making too many shows this year.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Scott, Thanks for 03-S and Vern, thanks for posting.

Mike, Good luck with you CAC submission and congrats on your rescue dog. That's a wonderful thing to do and I hope it makes a great companion.

Paesan
  • Options
    MFH - Coming from one of the biggest animal lovers there is - I absolutely commend you for the adoption of 2 beautiful Dobermans image

The 1898-S Quarter below was purchased several months ago from a Heritage auction .. It has been sent to a couple fellow collectors and is presently en route to the mid-west .. Bold color and lost of luster .. Clearly dipped and re-toned, the coin still sports nice eye appeal, is very attractive and fully deserving of the AU58 grade it was decreed by our hosts. Scarce in AU and MS and even more scarce in 58 .. this is a very pleasing example in my humble opinion. PS The cut on the cheek is really not even visible in hand .. How the camera lens picks up and magnifies imperfections is well beyond my 2nd grade comprehension level ...

imageimage

Here is one other interesting common date newp .. Very original surfaces and more luster than one may perceive from my low quality images .. Far superior in hand ... All I end up doing is misrepresenting when I try and post images but hey, what does it matter - It's not like I am trying to impress and I am the only one that has to look at them on a regular basis....

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Scott- both of those coins a beautiful. Although the more common I like the 08-D the best. Very nice
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mike - Agree 100% with Scott. Rescue dogs are awesome. My 7 month old bulldog Reba says, "Way to go"!

Scott - Both great looking toned coins. Also, a big THANK YOU for the heads up on the 1911 in NGC-58 on eBay. Arrived today and I am very happy image

Lenny - Sweet looking 03s. Nice pickup.

Vern - Thanks again for the constant stream of pictures. Part of my morning routine is getting stuck at the same red light (literally every single morning) and having to wait 3-5 minutes every time for it to turn. Its always about 7:05-7:10 EST, and this is always when I pull up the Mega Thread on my phone to check out the latest beauty you've posted. Whether they're yours or someone else's, they are always fun to look at. Your efforts are truly much appreciated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file