Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin, Love that VF 05-O, but I've become very partial to a sweet problem-free VF in the last year or so!

Darrell, looks XF all day long to my untrained eye.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few of the 1905-O's I have owned - Justin posted one that had bought last year - and when I upgraded it to a XF 45 - I promised him he could have it.
    I am hunting for the VF 35 that I sold Leon { Shorecoll} ....

Here's a coin I bought raw from Walkerguy21D two years ago at FUN ....

This is another one that I had in a set which I sold some time ago.
    My current set has an XF 45 in it... Images seem to be misfiled... 🙀... No... Sorry, no images of this coin

In this case, Replaced doesn't mean sold... "Disclaimer"...LOL

Here is another 1905-O - in a PCGS 35 [ Courtesy of Darrell ]

imageimage

Here is the VF 35 I sold Shorecoll [Leon] ....

imageimage
    imageimage

I also found the above coin on Heritage's site - so here are their scans...(reverse scan is incorrect)

Now... I know I have others kicking around... let me do some digging...

This was a really hard coin to find - it was one of the nicest AU 58's I had ever seen. I do not know why the images are so small.

Of course... my newp from the other day....{ I actually forgot which file I put it in - as I have had a few sets with mixed grades... MS & AU etc.

The VF 25 I sold Justin...

There are others - I just can't find them ... yet...

Oh, yeah, the one I sold Cary a few years ago... I wished I never sold it ... its the epitome of an XF [ even if it was an AU 50 on the insert ]...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, I'm curious about that XF-40 tooled coin. I see a few obverse hairlines, but it looks AU-55 quality and well struck. What was the problem with it?

Paesan
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin - That's one beautiful 25.

Darrell - 3 times and your '05 didn't make 40? That's criminal.

Paesan - Have you noticed your coins in the seated thread?

Mike - I, too, am interested in what was tooled. Obv looks hairlined, but I've seen worse in graded holders. What was tooled?
    Really good looking 40 you had, but your 58 was something special. I remember that coin from your August 2011 auction. It was as
    nice as any 58 I've ever seen of any date. A friend was the underbidder, at what at that time was an amazing amount. I wonder who has it now?
    And the XF/AU you sold Cary was choice as well..

Pics for this AM, Scott's newp 05-O qtr (that I had forgotten about when I was posting 05-O qtrs earlier), PC62:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Vern and Len, et al:

I had a few months to examine the 05-O when I first bought it, I was hoping on
    the off chance, the hairlines ( looks more like random graffiti ) would be the only
    cause for a Details Only coin. Yes, IMHO, the coin is clearly an AU 55 detail coin.

I am thinking the XF Detail designation is strictly for net grading purposes, and to
    equate some form of value on it. The Reverse is virtually mark free, and I would say
    it's as nice as any 55 I have seen.

The Tooling that PCGS mentions is nowhere to be found. I however, do not have a
    stereo microscope as most TPG's have for through detail inspection. My 7X loop is
    the best I own, and I still do not see any signs of tooling. The coin is currently with
    Glenn Holsonbake and is available; he and I just substantially reduced the price.

For what ever reason, I did not see the images of the current 1905-O I have in my
    latest set. The MS 63 was never intended to reside in this set, but belongs in my
    meager collection of MS Halves, keeping company with my 1898 in 65, 1900 in 62,
    & 1901 in 64+ (ex: NGC 65 ⭐️ ). The 1898 is currently with Glenn on consignment.
    Don't let the 62 grade fool you, it's a knock out looking coin and compares favorably
    with the Queller 1901 ( my absolute favorite Barber, "bar-none" ).

As I have been concentrating on BQ's as of late, the 43 coin submission to CAC only
    contains Quarters. Again, once I get these coins back, my plans are to have them imaged.
    Once imaged, they will be posted.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Verne, What makes it more criminal is the fact it was in a 40 holder. Mike's old 05-O in 58 is hiding in the NC mountains!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

You attached pics of the 05-O you sold me to a PM on here, so you should have them there. Of course they're not the best pics you ever took, but they worked for me. Date was in 2010.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Vern, I saw the posts. Thanks.

Justin, saw some of your beauties up there too!

Paesan
  • Options
    Well, the eBay search for "PCGS barber" has reached 2000 listings. Only 76 are auction style and of those only about 20 are true auctions. I find myself going there much less frequently for my coin searches.

Paesan
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't limit myself to PCGS (Barber) .. I might do that as one search ..Some of the best deals are either categorized incorrectly or key words (like PCGS) are left out by the (casual) seller

Searching all categories and using a variety of search methods can yield some juicy results .. Of course it is still very infrequent to find anything worth buying or bidding on.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike - Perplexing, that tooled designation. And the XF details as well, looks AU to me.

Pics for this AM, newp from Scott's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern,

I looked at the description from Glenn's web site, and he said that
    from what he can see, it looks as if someone smoothed the Obverse
    to mask some scratches or graffiti. Tooling can mean more than re engraving,
    which is what most people take it to mean, myself included.

The only explanation I have for the XF designation is it has got to be a net
    grade pertaining to a value. The coin is obviously an AU 55 details coin, IMHO.

I added the 05-O in PCGS 35 that I sold to Shorecoll, and did a search on Heritage
    and found the listing for the same coin. My old notes mentioned I had bought the
    coin on eBay after the Heritage auction.

Another file turned up on my lap top, that I had long forgotten about. It seemed that
    a few years ago, after I had a tune up ( what ever it's called in the IT world ) on the
    Lap Top, they backed up my images (as requested) and a separate file exists with loads
    of goodies. It seems I had a duplicate 1905-O Half in PCGS 58, that I bought from
    Heritage, and a few months later, purchased another I liked more. The first 58 was
    blast white from more than one dipping. Will add images later.

We needn't discuss all the other circulated 05-O's I have owned and eventually sold.
    All of which were in VG 10 to VF 25. Don't know how often I have tried to replicate
    my old college collection; most of the coins were VG 10 to VF 35, and housed in a
    Whitman Bookshelf Album. My first set was a real labor of love and I started it in 1968.
    For years, it remained just that, on a bookshelf, as I never found the last key date, 1896-O
    until 1973. Two years later, that set and my coin collection were sold to Bowers and Ruddy.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    The Heritage PCGS AU58 1909-O quarter is currently at $4400, very surprising. Has some pretty significant scratches on the obverse.
    I'll be curious to see if it looks better in hand when I view it in person Wed. at Central States in Chicago. How high will it go?

Doug
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    IMHO that 09-O is not as nice as the AU that I ha e seen of yalls. I think I know who is buying it tho.. I bet it hits 5200
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE 09-0 I advised my buddy not to buy it based on the in hand view, so have at it. Had he bid, it would have went for much more I can assure you.
  • Options
    Mike - I guess that smoothing works as tooling. Thanks.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your rediscovered images.

Doug & Mark - I'll guess $6K on the 58 09-O. More if it looks better in hand, will be at lot viewing this PM.

Jim - Coming to Central States?

Pics for this AM, my 09-O in PC64, in my top 5 of favorite MS coins:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Rest assured, it's not MFH who is buying that 09-O in 58.
    I am leaning towards a couple of other dates, that a friend....... ( Thank you again, Friend image...)
    is previewing for me.

I also spotted an attractive MS 66+ V Nickel for my MS set. Now, that's a set
    that is usually overlooked. I should pay closer attention to it. But it's complete
    in at least AU 55-58. More than half the dates are duplicated in MS. I shudder
    when looking at many of the prices realized on the earlier dates, not just the
    key dates !!

With the upcoming sale of Eugene Gardner's collection in June (?) of Part 1, I
    wonder what this sale will consist of. There seems to be no inference as to what
    it will contain. If Heritage ever decided to print a hard cover book with all of Gene's
    images ( not their scans ), I know I would be happy to buy a copy. Anyone ever just
    click onto any of his sets ATS and spend some time just looking and drooling ? That's
    why I like my iPad, it wipes off easily. An "Ultrasuede" Microfiber cloth does a great
    job removing finger prints from the screen. ( Just an FYI )

I wish Gene all the best in his auctions. He has an amazing collection. As nice if not
    nicer than most I have seen.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

No I decided not to come. Had a friend with good eye's preview three coins for me, 2 I am not bidding on, one I am(not eh 09-o), that was for a friend, which he is not.

I too, am waiting anxiously for gardner , hoping I have enough funds to buy 1 or 2 coins.
  • Options
    Vern - your 1909-O/64 is gorgeousimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

A beautiful 1909-O. Is this the one you won from Stack's?
    P.S. The 1893-S (several pages back) did come to me from Walt.

• Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>Vern - your 1909-O/64 is gorgeousimage >>

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Vern - your 1909-O/64 is gorgeousimage >>

image >>

Certainly a really nice 1909-O quarter!

Interesting to see the AU58 at well over $4k so far... will be even more interesting to see where it ends.

If it goes too much higher I'm going to have to crack out my PCGS MS64 example and try to make it an AU58 since we all know the MS64 is only worth $4800 in the PCGS Price Guide ($4000 in the latest Greysheet)... image

Wonder if PCGS will finally bump the Guide prices on this coin to the current market??? They still have the AU58 at $1075!!!

Edited to add a pic of my 1909-O in MS64 since I haven't posted it in awhile...

• Options
    Michael - Your 09-O is a sweet looking coin .. Really attractive and wholesome looking

We all know price guides are all over the place, and auctions are fickle and can be equally misleading when trying to interpret prices... not just for Barbers but pretty much most classic coins. PCGS price guide shows a 1907-S quarter in AU58 at $350 .. I know mine cost me 6x that. Of course, I am just plain old crazy anyway

I believe pricing is 90% a matter of timing combined with the quality of the coin - who is buying, when are they buying, who else is interested and how nice (or how desirable) is the coin. Sometimes it may not matter how nice it is if the coin is prohibitively rare (not using the 09-O as an example as it is not rare enough), the quality of the coin is only a secondary factor.

* Edited for spelling mistake
    imageimage
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks image

The PCGS AU58 1909-O Barber Quarter looks to have sold with a final bid of $4,250... $4,993.75 including the buyer's premium!!! WOW!!!

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Price guides on the 09-O quarter and many other dates are completely out of touch with reality. Greysheet, Coin Trends, Numismedia, PCGS Price Guide, Redbook, you name it they are all so far off.

Sorry to Vern and Doug and others who have contacted me about Central States. Not going this year but going to be in Santa Clara instead. Purely an economic decision on my part. Sharing the table with Todd and Roger there.

It would cost me about $1800 with all expenses to go and have an 8' table, by myself at Central States, and this show has been in slow but steady decline, particularly when they moved it to Schaumberg, which has a lot of additional costs such as $50 each way taxi, stuck at the Hotel with no realistic other eating options aside from the Hotel unless you have a car, etc.

The cost for me to do the Santa Clara show which is steadily improving since Portsmouth Square resurrected it and restarted it is about $650.

It would take about $15K-$17K to break even at Central States, while $5K will cover SC. When I have done each of these shows, because I have more local following and no other reason, I sell about the same at both shows, somewhere around $15K-$20K.

I love to see my customers in the midwest and look forward to seeing them in August at the ANA, but the economics are what they are. I hope everyone has a successful show there and I expect to have a good one in Santa Clara. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    Glenn, Always like when you chime in. Totally agree with you on price guides. The disclaimer on them should be "For entertainment only!"
    Also, seems like a no-brainer to stay close to home and I'm sure nobody will hold it against you. I'll bet FUN is an even bigger expense.

Paesan

P.S. How's the site going? (Plug!)
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Glenn,

No need to be sorry about missing Central States. If it doesn't make sense for you financially to make the trip, you made the right choice.

Will see you at the ANA show in August!

All the best,
    Doug
  • Options
    illini420 - That is a beautiful 09-O, thanks for posting.

Mark - Your guess on what the AU58 09-O would bring was much closer than mine. I thought it looked better in hand than it did in the pics.
    Wonder if the new owner is a forum member or reader.

Glenn - Makes good sense to me, look forward to seeing you at ANA in August.

Thoroughly enjoying Central States. Met up with several collector friends and saw some wonderful coins at the after hours get togethers.
    Didn't get anything at the auctions, but was fortunate to secure nice VF 13-S and AU 15-S qtrs on the floor. Pics to follow in a day or two.

For this AM, Scott's raw newp of 3-4 months, now PC58:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Craig - Yes, my 09-O in 64 was the one from Stack's a couple of years ago.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

Your 1909-O is a super specimen in hand and Scott's 1895-S Quarter in PC58 is one of the "top ten" tough 58's.

• Options
    Pics for this AM, my newps from Central States, NGC-25 and PC53:

Also acquired a tough capped bust dime, but that will have to be for another thread. The show was very good for me, but the best part was the evening get togethers.
    There were four of us on Wednesday which focused on barbers, and eight on Thursday with an amazing display of Indian Cents. What a great hobby.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Purrrrrfect 13-S! Meow!!!
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Purrrrrfect 13-S! Meow!!! >>

Couldn't agree more! MeoWOW!
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Purrrrrfect 13-S! Meow!!! >>

Couldn't agree more! MeoWOW! >>

imageimageimage Beautiful! Well done sir!!! image

• Options

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

That 13-S is lovely !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I was able to hold off attacks against three of four of my bids.

I will be having these coins imaged by Messydesk once my last
    CAC submission returns.

My newps: All Quarters: 1895-O PCGS 58 CAC, 1896-O PCGS 55, &
    1911-S PCGS 58 CAC.

Heritage images to follow.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Last week, I was fortunate enough to add two more Quarters to my set:
    1908-Phila and 1914-D - both PCGS 58. ( Non CAC ). I do not have any
    images of any sort for these two coins, yet.

I am not sure if I posted my newp from last month - an 1897-O Quarter PCGS 55

imageimage

I will get the Non CAC material off to New Jersey ASAP before I send them
    off to be imaged.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Nothing in the auctions for me. image

But I finally did a 1st and sent 3 in for crossover! I hope I am not jinxing myself by spilling the beans before I have the coins in hand!

1898-S Old ANACS 58 crossed to 58! YES! YES! YES!
    1910 NGC 58 crossed to 58 Nice replacement for the coin in my set.
    1911-D NGC 58 crossed to 58 worth a few more dollars now!

I guess I can't say I haven't made a 58 now and beat the 32% crossover odds bigtime!
  • Options
    Vern that 13-S Quarter looks perfect. What a sweet find. Does anyone know who won the 13-S PC-30 from the Great Collections sale 2 weeks ago? I was 2nd under-bidder

The only coin I won from the recent Heritage auctions were the 1895-P Quarter in PC63. Appears to have nice skin and an original look .. went lower than I expected at $325+ +
    Some of those AU55/58 quarters went 300-500% over what I forecasted .. Glad I was far away from the militia

To those who went to CS - hope you had an enjoyable experience and saw old friends and maybe even found a newp or two
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike and Scott, Congrats on your Barber wins. The only one I went after was taken at the live auction, but I did take two seated libs, an 1880 in 65 and the 69-S VF 35.

Vern got the big prize. Congrats again!

Paesan
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the positive words on the 13-S in 25. There's an interesting story behind it. It came into the dealer's shop (who I bought it from) in an old Whitman blue folder, along with six other blue folders, all were partial sets with most holes empty. Virtually all the other coins in this group were low enough value to be just worth melt, except for this 13-S. The seller was 98 years old and the coins belonged to her husband who had passed away over 50 years ago. The dealer, who I've known for a long time and is a very good guy in my estimation, was as surprised as the seller at the find. The coin just came back from NGC before Central States, so I was lucky it hadn't been on the circuit long.

Mike - Congrats on the 3 wins from HA, and the 97-O from previous. Nice looking coins. And judging from the slab numbers, all from the same PCGS submission.

Darrell - Congrats on batting 1000 in the crossover game.

Scott & Paesan - Nice takedowns from the HA auction.

Pics for this AM, from Scott's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Scott, Tough coin in 58 and a good look!

Vern, You and that 13-S were meant to be together.

Darrell, Agree with Vern. Congrats in perfect score on crosses. Not an easy task.

Paesan
  • Options
    Verne...sorry...I meant to say that is a sweet 13-S quarter! I doubt you could find a nicer example for the grade!

Scott....nice 96-O quarter. The way you are heading with the quarters I hope you and Verne don't start battling for the 1901-S quarter in AU that doesn't seem to exist!

Thanks Paesan
  • Options
    Wonder who won the 1901-O half in PC45, that sold Saturday thru Heritage. Sold for $1800 plus the vig. Was a really nice, original rare coin IMO.

Darrell - I hope the right 01-S qtr in shows up. That's the first (and biggest) hurdle.

Pics for this AM, another recent photo op from Scott's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonder who won the 1901-O half in PC45, that sold Saturday thru Heritage. Sold for $1800 plus the vig. Was a really nice, original rare coin IMO. >>

Agreed from an online viewing perspective. Even the Heritage photo's couldn't hide the undisturbed surfaces of that coin. I don't follow XF's that much, but I bet you don't see many XF 01-O's like that.
  • Options
    Verne,It wasn't me but I have a sneaky suspicion it is headed to be a companion of Mike's 05-O as this gentleman is also doing a 45 set.
  • Options
    Well, tonight after work my wife is dragging me to see Bruce Springsteen run around the stage and mumble lyrics for three and a half hours. I guess if I get that seat next to Courtney Cox it won't be too bad.

Paesan

P.S. everything is fun with the wife! :-)
  • Options
    I gotta take all that back. This concert is awesome!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wonder who won the 1901-O half in PC45, that sold Saturday thru Heritage. Sold for $1800 plus the vig. Was a really nice, original rare coin IMO. >>

Agreed from an online viewing perspective. Even the Heritage photo's couldn't hide the undisturbed surfaces of that coin. I don't follow XF's that much, but I bet you don't see many XF 01-O's like that. >>

I never looked at that 01-O Half in 45, as I have a really nice one in PC 45 -
    I am pleased to hear what the one on HA sold for ($2115 with the juice ).
    Guess it's about time I compared mine with the one that just sold.

Edit:
    I can't image coins, pure and simple. I have so many that I want images of,
    I'll go broke with the fees and hard copies. I am concentrating of getting the
    Quarters completely imaged by Summer. I never expect to finish the set itself.
    I am down to the really tough dates, aside from the Big Three.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Bruce is a high energy show .. people seldom leave disappointed 64 yrs old and going strong ... 4 or 5 band members lost over the years, none bigger than C.C. and the E Street Band didn't skip a beat (No pun intended .. well maybe it was image

Mike - meant to say congrats on your recent Heritage bids .. Very nice !
    imageimage
  • Options
    Darrell - If it was that same gentleman who won the 01-O, he has excellent tastes.

Paesan - Hope you went there in your pink cadillac.

Mike - Hope to see your pics here. What a tough coin.

Pics for this AM, the coin Doug replaced in the Iowa collection at Central States, don't have pics of the new one yet, PC58::

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file