Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know you're a connoisseur when you give up an 02-S that nice because you found a better one! Can't wait to see it!
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You know you're a connoisseur when you give up an 02-S that nice because you found a better one! Can't wait to see it! >>

I was thinking the same thing.... Can hardly wait to see what replaced that beauty !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You know you're a connoisseur when you give up an 02-S that nice because you found a better one! Can't wait to see it! >>

+10 that's an absolute stunner and it's gna take something special to replace that.. I'm gna be anxious now Lol
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Boy that 1902-S looks quite familiar ..

Doug - I know you were never thrilled with it - glad you found a new one you like better... I am happy to buy it back from you if you are looking to rid yourself of the vermin -- message me if you like image .. I don't mind having 3 AU58s and an MS62.. I actually always found that coin to be attractive, especially the reverse
    imageimage
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Doug it was good chatting to you a couple days ago and I can't wait to see the new quarter too. You are one of the collectors that delves into and desires a specific look and quality that few strive for. I know your new coin has to be a lovely example, and your old one based solely upon Vern's photo post, appears to be an acceptable example at the grade. Quality matters so much and down the road does make a huge difference. Congratulations on your ongoing "fine tuning." image

Off to Tukwila in a few minutes and a stop along the way to visit family. It will be good to spend a night with mom and dad. My Dad is 82 now and a 3-1/2 year survivor of pancreatic cancer and every excuse I get, I get that visit in.

For those of you in the Northwest see you this weekend. image

Added: Vern thats a wonderful 13-S, congratulations super difficult to find looking like that! SCORE!
    I had that 15- S before sold it 2-3 years ago it seems. Not sure to whom and specifically when but I instantly recognized it.

Santa Clara turned out to be very good and once again not enough turn around time and off to the next one.

The website is really getting there. Have about 3/4ths of the coins shot that don't have photos done, will be doing a few edits and getting those up a few a day on the trip. Then a bit of a break to work steadily on the photo catch ups. Picked up three neat new consignements with some barber 25c and 10c in them. Also got back from grading about 18-20 halves in the VF-XF range. Will be working on getting those up as soon as I can with my staff of one, ME. LOL
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all-

I'm new here at the PCGS Boards, but some of you Barber guys know me. All the talk about 1905 O Barber Halves has motivated me to post.

This is a coin I bought raw off eBay at a low price Buy it Now listing. I think it will likely be the find of my lifetime! I first had it graded by NGC as a 58 and then it crossed at PCGS as the same. The reverse has a common weak strike, but overall it's a great coin and the pride of my set.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Jeff! Looks like lots of luster and flash on that 1905-O half. Not bad! Thanks for sharing!

• Options

Jeff,

Welcome !! Thanks for sharing !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff, Welcome!

Glenn, Kudos to your dad! Pancreatic CA is so tough! My dad has been a heavy smoker most of his life. They just found a mass outside his lung an we are all holding our breath and saying prayers. He's in NC and I'm taking the kids for a visit on Memorial Day. Visiting family is a very good thing!

Paesan
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff! Glad to see you posting and getting in the mix here!
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn - Site looks good. Glad to hear your dad is beating the beast.

Jeff - Welcome to the mega-thread, and thanks for posting the lustrous toughie. Hope to see more.

Pics for this AM, a newp into the Stash, ANA62:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, welcome to the barber mega thread!

Scott, I wish I had saved our old 02-S for you. I didn't think you'd be interested, so I used it in trade on my new piece. Email or call me if you want to know where it went.

Glenn, I really enjoyed our long conversation the other day as well. Thank you for being a barber coin market-maker, and for operating your business with integrity and class.

Doug
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Jeff. Always good to add another voice to our education.

• Options
    Thanks Vern for posting 72-S quarter and this one too. I love the strike! Not sure if it'll be a permanent Stash resident though.

Paesan
  • Options
    Jeff - good to see you on board. Congrats on a major find, the 1905-O .. What a great score for you! Congrats and welcome
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

Mike - Hope to see your pics here. What a tough coin.

>>

RE: 1901-O Half PCGS 45 - Picked this up on Teletrade - in 9/2012

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Hope to se your 01-O half in 45 in hand, perhaps at the BCCS display at this August's ANA.

Pics for this AM, an attractive 98-S from Scott's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    And if you haven't looked at the seated thread, it's worth the time just to see Paesan's 1872-S.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern,

Scott's 1898-S is right up my alley, it's got the perfect look, as far as I am concerned.
    It's one of the prettiest ones I have seen. I was fortunate to have inspected two AU 55's
    recently and although both were fairly graded and attractive, both lacked "Je ne sais pas".

Looked at the 1872-S Quarter on our sister thread. Very nice coin. Very tough coin, to boot !!

I have decided to pass on the Chicago ANA show this year. Although I enjoy it
    I want to bond with the two new dogs. I might make a run to Orlando for a day
    for Summer FUN, but spending almost 10 days in Chicago is just too much !
    When I read about the PNG pre-show starting on the Saturday before the ANA
    actual show would mean I'd be there Friday night thru the following weekend,
    Sunday morning.

The ANA show is long enough, it being Tuesday thru Saturday. So, it looks like
    I just won't make it this year at all. Sorry. At times I wished I lived in the Chicago
    suburbs, then it think......NAH !! image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Sorry to hear that you won't be at ANA this August.

Pics for this AM, newp into the Stash, NGC-62:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, just because the date was a point of conversation yesterday, PC30:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern,

Speaking of 1895-O Dimes, yesterday, I received back my Die Cap from Heritage.
    I bid on it during the live auction as I wasn't going to give it away. I paid dearly
    for that privilege but in the long run, I am glad I did.

I also had my normal example regraded & reholdered at PCGS, I was hoping for
    an AU 53, but it's staying as an AU 50. No images of it, yet.

Thanks for sharing that 95-O this morning !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

The newest edition to my Barber Half set- a 1895 S PCGS AU 55:

This was a tough coin for me to find as a nice AU (I've had a XF 40 in the set for years). I paid dearly for this, but I just haven't come across a really nice one in years of search.
  • Options
    Mike/ Glenn-

Look inside the ear of the '95 S 50C (below):

I've not seen the horizontal bars like this before. I suspect it's a clash from the shield on the reverse? Does this count as a "variety" or a "die state"?

Has anyone seen these marks before?
  • Options
    So am I missing something here or did 2 people think this was a 1/2 since it was also listed in the barber 1/2 Category?

1893-O Barber Quarter
  • Options
    Jeff,I have seen these before....could be die clash! It is probably die tooling.

Edit for Brain Fart!
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So am I missing something here or did 2 people think this was a 1/2 since it was also listed in the barber 1/2 Category?

1893-O Barber Quarter >>

It does seem a little rich, but who knows...it's a date that doesn't show up too often in a slab in VF. Maybe someone just HAD to have it.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    But to shoot myself in the foot, looks like they should've bought this coin at Great Collections a few weeks ago.
  • Options

<< <i>But to shoot myself in the foot, looks like they should've bought this coin at Great Collections a few weeks ago. >>

LOLOLOL! It is the same coin! image
  • Options
    Darrell, the 93-O quarter had to have been a mistake, will probably be returned when they receive it.

Jeff, looks like clashed dies similar to that found on some 96-S quarters.

Doug
  • Options
    JeffMTampa- Glad you succeeded in what you were looking for. It has been another hard date.
    Barberkeys- Nice 01-o. Was that the same one on Glenn's site?
  • Options
    Notehunter, both the 1901-O half and the 1900-O quarter that Vern recently posted were from Glenn.

Paesan
  • Options
    I recall seeing something in the Barber Quarter Guide by Lawrence about horizontal lines in the ear on some coins .. I have a very faint recollection and am not at home to reference the book but with a little effort I am sure it could be Googled or someone could reference the book

I am probably mis-remembering but wanted to post just in case the off-chance I am on target

SAM I am Green Eggs and Ham
    imageimage
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Great call Scott. I have DL's 2nd Edition Guide to Barber Quarters here on my desk, and indeed he references "ear striations" seen in 96-S quarters. My book only features a sketch and not an actual picture though. The sketch is exactly what Jeff's 95-S 50c features.

I think its pretty neat….

EDITED TO ADD: Just read Doug's post and saw that he already noted the 96-S quarters. So great call Doug!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    John-

I think Doug gets the real credit - I wasn't aware it was limited to the 96-S Quarters .. I just vaguely remembered reading something about them

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>John-

I think Doug gets the real credit - I wasn't aware it was limited to the 96-S Quarters .. I just vaguely remembered reading something about them >>

Jeff, as you have found out, its a die clash. Not a Variety.

FYI - die clash on the 1896-S Quarters is a pick up point for genuine status.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff - Congrats on the 95-S newp.

93-O qtr on ebay wasn't even very nice IMO.

Pics for this AM, from Scott's recent acquisitions, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern, since we're talking about clashed dies, can you post your great photos of my 96-S. Thanks!

Doug
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is the 1896-S clash:

My 1895-S has a small clash at the top of the inner ear and I'll see if I can find an image.
    Hope this helps.

Craig

• Options
    With Morgan Dollars die clashes often create attributable varieties- why not with Barbers?
  • Options

<< <i>With Morgan Dollars die clashes often create attributable varieties- why not with Barbers? >>

Because there are not enough of us Barbernuts who have run out of coins to collect! image
  • Options
    Fairly new acquisition .. Will have a better image next week after a REAL photographer gets his hands on it ... A coin I have been looking for in a nice, attractive, wholesome AU/MS for 2+ years.. I have seen a handful of MS62-63 coins for sale - none of which I liked and I sold my old XF45 about a year ago as it was not attractive nor original .. Selling without a replacement has fortunately, never been difficult for me. I either like it or I don't - and if I don't there is no reason to keep it (unless no one wants to buy it which happens enough to force one to keep it image .. Assuming I can sell it and not lose more than 20% it's a "gonner") ..

Anyway - This is a delightful coin with booming luster and a razor sharp strike. Wonderful surfaces and predominantly toned in a light golden hue with a crescent of rainbow colored toning over the top 20% of the reverse. Just a gorgeous coin - the nicest I have yet encountered (except for one other which I bought and then 10 minutes after I bought it I was told it was sold to two people) .. And - yes I do know where that coin is today .. And I am very happy for the person who has it image .. But that is another story for another day image
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Scott. Great looking coin and an extremely tough date! Love the color.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Doug - My pleasure, even tho the pics don't do it justice. And for that matter, neither have our hosts, PC53:

Darrell - Perfectly stated.

Scott - Great looking 93-S. Look forward to seeing it in hand.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    I continually question my grading skills but that 96-s has way too much detail in the wing tips to be a 53.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Doug/Vern- the look of that 1896- S is absolutely delicious
    It has a strikingly similar look in terms of patina, strike, detail and apparent luster as my recent 1903-S quarter recently sold to "the stash", which is also graded 53. The caveat to that is my old coin was originally graded 55. Had been cracked out to be put into an album and was resubmitted a year later with no change to the detail or overall look of the coin at all.. Another lesson in the subjectivity of grading.

Doug - your ability to stay the course and disregard the plastic entirely is awe-inspiring.. Complete disregard for the plastic from a collector point of view, for the expert collector, who is 100% familiar with what he is collecting specifically, is, in my opinion is the key to personal happiness and fulfillment with one's own collection. Obviously from a selling standpoint this is not true but that is apples to oranges

Great coin Doug!!! I know someone who would be interested in it if you ever upgrade image .. I'm sure you do too image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott, thanks for the kind words. My grade for the 96-S in my collection is 55+. I made the mistake a few years ago of submitting the 96-S in an old green holder graded AU53 for re-grade.
    I thought there was no chance of it staying 53, I was thinking either 55 or 55+. When it was again graded 53 I started to question my strategy. Vern said something that has
    stayed with me since then, "regardless of what the plastic says it's a great coin."

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>Scott, thanks for the kind words. My grade for the 96-S in my collection is 55+. I made the mistake a few years ago of submitting the 96-S in an old green holder graded AU53 for re-grade.
    I thought there was no chance of it staying 53, I was thinking either 55 or 55+. When it was again graded 53 I started to question my strategy. Vern said something that has
    stayed with me since then, "regardless of what the plastic says it's a great coin."

Doug >>

Perhaps you should try it again and pay their bounty! image I sent my 96-S 1/2 graded 53 in for reconsideration at Baltimore last fall and they wouldn't upgrade it. Sold at the FUN show and Larry sent it in again and they 55'd it!
  • Options
    Here is a good question for all the Barber half nuts! How many have you seen with rotated dies?
  • Options

<< <i>I continually question my grading skills but that 96-s has way too much detail in the wing tips to be a 53. >>

I couldn't agree more. A minimum 55 and as Doug thought, I could easily see it in a 55+ holder as well.
    Would love to own that 96-S myself.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file