Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Perhaps you should try it again and pay their bounty! I sent my 96-S 1/2 graded 53 in for reconsideration at Baltimore last fall and they wouldn't upgrade it. Sold at the FUN show and Larry sent it in again and they 55'd it! >>

Darrell- 3rd times a charm? Well it was at a minimum the 3rd time before it 55'd.image
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been awhile since I've posted a rant about how poorly the TPG's do their job. Doug's 96-S qtr is a perfect example. Granted, grading is subjective, but grading a circulated barber quarter isn't rocket science. We're not trying to discern the imaginary differences between MS-69 and MS-70 silver eagles here. We're not dealing with an issue that has striking problems, that can be confused with amount of wear. This is as straightforward as grading can get. There aren't any problems that could justify a net grade. This 96-S looks wonderful in hand, original, lightly toned, no hairlines, with luster. And our hosts had two opportunities to get it right, but failed. If a grading finalizer (if one really exists) had Doug's 96-S in hand to compare to the next 100 barber quarters about to be given an AU55 grade, it would compare favorably with 95% of them. IMO, it would hold its own with a good third of the next 100 quarters about to be given the AU58 grade. OK, that's out of my system for now.

Pics for this AM, a 96-S they got right (at least IMHO), PC58:

Notice how I used this rant as an excuse to post my 96-S again. And once again, thanks Walt for passing it along to me when you decided to retire your barber quarters.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vern,

your 96-s is simply outstanding

jim
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, Labelman87, post that 1896-S I picked up for you.
    It took my breath away when I first saw it. I wasn't collecting
    Quarters again when I found it. Regardless, I should have
    hocked some other stuff to keep it for myself. It is right up
    there with Vern's, if not even nicer !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a nice XF-40!
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    OK Boss: image
    It's difficult to see the semi prooflike surfaces.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another nice 96-S quarter!

So no 1 has seen a Barber 1/2 with a rotated reverse? I have 1 and it is the only 1 I have seen. I know Morgan Dollars bring a pretty good premium with rotated dies!
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 96-S but it's PC35...and a Half dollar image

Darrell, I have not handled near as many halves as you, but I can't remember seeing any that I owned.
  • Options
    Thanks, Labelman. I hope you have that scheduled to go to NJ.
    Love looking at that coin. Thanks again for sharing it.

Justin, is that 96-S Half one of my old coins ?? I picked up one
    In PCGS 53 from Glenn a few months back. Can't remember what
    happened to my VF that was in the set.

Darrell, you still have the AU 58 1896-S Half I traded with you ? ( ex: Stacks sale ).

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I don't belive it was on that you owned, Mike. When I purged my set...again.... I had this one and a few leftover. I tried to sell it on the BST. The best offer I got for it was $500 in a PM because the potential buyer thought I was hard up for money. I still own it. It's worth more than $500 IMO respectfully. You still have one coin I have never owned and have hounded you about before. image

• Options

Could it be the 1897-O in 35 ??
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, Labelman. I hope you have that scheduled to go to NJ.
    Love looking at that coin. Thanks again for sharing it.

Justin, is that 96-S Half one of my old coins ?? I picked up one
    In PCGS 53 from Glenn a few months back. Can't remember what
    happened to my VF that was in the set.

Darrell, you still have the AU 58 1896-S Half I traded with you ? ( ex: Stacks sale ). >>

Mike! I never bought a 96-S from you! So I will direct my ongoing question at you ole Barber Master! image How many Barber Halves have you seen with a rotated reverse????
  • Options

<< <i>Could it be the 1897-O in 35 ?? >>

It sure could be....image
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Some gorgeous 96-S's on this page for sure, guys….quarters and halves alike!

Things have been a little slower going for me lately with the newp's, but here's one that arrived today. A common date but I just couldn't pass her up image I have a tough time taking decent pics of colorful coins in general and for whatever reason I have an even tougher time trying to photograph through NGC plastic, but this is as close as I can get for now…..the obverse colors are more vibrant in hand. NGC 58

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the beautiful 1900 quarter John - there is nothing common about coins with that look - Well done!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Craig - Don't recall seeing your 96-S before. Looks MS. Is it?

Justin - Another beauty.

JT - I don't think that date is so common. Congrats on a wonderful newp.

Paesan - It's a very nice 96-S, as all can now see:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    You could have heard my muffled sigh when I had to hand back that 96-S
    and call Craig about the coin I had found. I had blown all my money on a
    bunch of Dimes - and if Gail hadn't spent an hour writing up the Dimes,
    I would have said sorry, I'll just take the 96-S Quarter. ( I'll let Craig give
    the grade ) .

Be that as it may, some day....

BTW, Lenny, love the 45 you have. Nice coin, with good color.

JT- very attractive 1900 Quarter. Beautifully toned.

Edit: Darrell... I do not remember specifically any heavily rotated dies
    on any of my Barbers... Regardless of denomination !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I'll have to look...this one is rotated I think either 60 or 120 degrees!
  • Options
    Thank you, Mike. It's just a 40. :-)
    It was my first "real" coin. Therefore, I shall never let her go.

Paesan
  • Options
    I consider my first real coin to be a gorgeous toned 1880-S Morgan Dollar I bought raw about 7 years ago in a bullion/silver weight transaction off Craigslist .. I bought probably $200 face value in 90% silver and a couple dozen Morgans and other coins purchased at "weight" prices from that transaction (was with an antique dealer I eventually went on to do multiple repeat deals with... He drove an old Country Squire Station wagon which effectively served as his office) .. I think I paid maybe $20 for it. It is probably worth $100-$200 if it was graded by NGC/PCGS .. Tremendous pastel toning with glassy surfaces that I would not call proof like - but the coin is breathtakingly beautiful .. Probably the most common date Morgan to find like this (maybe the 79-S is the one date that is more available)

I still have this coin (I only have a few Morgans left - I had a PCGS collection of coins graded AU55-MS65 about 80% complete But I love the coin .. To me anyway, cost has zero to do with defining with my love of coins or defining a "real" coin. This is nothing more than my viewpoint or opinion. Take it at "face value" please image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Vern:

The 1896-S Barber Quarter is an AU 58 with semi-prooflike surfaces. The obverse is much better that my image and like yourself, I have an eternal search on for a 1901-S in like condition. image

• Options

<< <i>Vern:

The 1896-S Barber Quarter is an AU 58 with semi-prooflike surfaces. The obverse is much better that my image and like yourself, I have an eternal search on for a 1901-S in like condition. image

LOLOLOL! It is really going to be interesting to watch if the right 01-S quarter comes up at auction! 65 money?????

Edit to add...I could have bought a 97-S half direct from Heritage graded 65 for substantially less than I paid for my 58! I maybe a fool but I R Happy! image
  • Options
    Great stories, Fellas!
  • Options
    As some wise old man once said... Never met a Barber coin I didn't like.

This is one of three I have ... a "mini" stash !! LOL.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Paesan - that 96-S looks like a 45 to my eye - looks to have nice luster - great looking color to it .. Don't see many XF of that date - very very nice
    imageimage
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Those are some really sweet 96-S quarter. Although the 58'S are a bit tougher to find I like the Xf-40 the most. On another note here is my very favorite coin and is also a Xf-40 and now has a green bean. Thanks again to the previous owner.
    imageimageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mike & Scott - I think you're right. Paesan's 96-S qtr looks like a 45 to me as well.

Darrell - Happiness is a good thing. And it would be interesting if the right 01-S qtr came along.

Mark - You picked a very nice coin as a favorite.

Mike - Good looking 16-D.

Pics for this AM, newps from Scott, both are PC63. Have a preference?

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I'll take what's behind door number one.
  • Options

With no dog in this race, Lenny's 96-S is technically an XF 40,
    ok, I can see where the graders got to that point. 99% of my
    grading is within the first three to five seconds of viewing the
    coin (in hand). Seeing an image as large as we put out there
    on this forum, it's almost an instantaneous decision of what I
    feel the grade should be.

I looked at Lenny's 1896-S - took all of one second to decide
    it's an XF 45. I don't believe I was influenced by anything I may
    have heard about it in the past. The color is just fantastic and I
    am sure it spent many quiet years inside a National Album / Waite
    Raymond or the like.

It's funny, I think we all buy the nicest we can find as we collect
    each series. The nicest 1896-S I was ever able to locate when I
    first started this series, was an AU 53. I was thrilled to find it at
    DLRC, via Win Callender. So, you see, it's a smart move having a
    professional work for you. ( Peter Shireman has drummed that into
    my head for years ... ) I just wish I had his Barber Budget... image

Congrats, Mark, on getting that (those) Quarter(s) CAC'd. For the
    membership: I let Mark piggy back his coins with mine on my last
    submission to CAC. Mark submitted two coins and both received
    Green Beans. I did not fare nearly as well... Sorry to say... My per-
    centage was closer to 36% that Beaned. I sent in some pretty marginal
    coins, I have to admit. You know me, buy in haste (at times) and repent
    in leisure. I figured, what the heck, you never know what will "pass" &
    what won't. A total of 42 of my Barber Quarters ( all PCGS ) and the two
    from Mark were reviewed. I have another small submission with a couple
    more Barber Newps that I need to submit before I send things off to be
    imaged.

Happy hunting !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I'll take what's behind door number one. >>

Darn, I meant to say the same thing. Number One for me too !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern- you have a gift when it comes to imaging these barber coins.

Mike- Thanks again for letting my 2 favorite coins Ride along with yours. Very pleased.

The other coin that CAC'd was the 1893 AU-55 OGH that I was lucky to pluck from (The Stash). I think the green bean fits nicelyimageimageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Regarding the two 1895-P/PCGS-63 quarters, I think most collectors would almost certainly take door #2 if u had both in hand. I like both for different reasons

#1 - was the raw coin I bought in Manchester several months ago. It is a very original skinned piece with appealing and attractive luster. The remnants of a fingerprint can be seen in the obverse right field which may bother or even be a deal breaker for some.. Wonderful antique toning and color
    #2 - was obtained through the recent April Heritage auction - Lot #9293; very nice original surfaces with superb ice blue and cobalt pastel tones blending to golds and amber lilac at the rims. Highly lustrous with a full strike. An amazingly attractive piece

Both are nice, but if I could keep only one, I would no doubt keep #2 - I think Vern feels the same way..

Images are great but nothing replaces coin in hand of course

Vern - thanks for taking the time to image the coins
    Mike - very nice 1916-D quarter... Love that look personally
    Mark - nice coins .. Love the look of the 1893.. You seem to be very fond of the 1905-0; glad you are happy with our transaction ..

I've never sent a coin to CAC and probably never will (I realize the market has changed and this is coin collecting in 2014) - the sticker is important to a large part of the community .. I don't think it bears much weight on lower priced, circulated coins.. At least not nearly as influential as coins worth significant money (define that how you will) ..

Here is why I feel the way I do about CAC: If a person can't decide with his own eyes and knowledge if he likes a coin or what qualities in a coin are important (to himself), then I honestly feel he shouldn't be collecting coins, or at the least, should be spending more time learning and less time buying .. I realize I am in the minority but that is simply how I feel...

Of the 10-15 coins I have that are CAC approved, many are amongst my least favorite coins in my collection .. I recently sold a 1901-55 quarter CAC approved that was dipped blast white .. Pasty and unnatural looking .. No hairlines and some mint luster under the sheen, but all in all not a great coin IMO
    imageimage
  • Options
    As my collecting years go by (it's been a good 25 years since I returned to this great hobby), I'm finding more and more wisdom in the old saying I first heard from a local coin shop owner, "I don't grade 'em, I just price 'em". This saying again came to my mind as I was preparing to comment on the grade of Paesan's 1896-S qtr. It seems to me that grading circulated barber coinage is a relatively cut and dried process. There are several grading books out that pretty much say the same thing, as to how much detail should be on a coin graded very good, fine, very fine or extra fine. One can examine a coin and fit it into the right grade based on detail remaining. If the coin does not have have issues (rim nicks, big marks in prime focal areas, rough surfaces, etc), then assigning a grade is pretty much done. If there are issues then more opinion comes into play. I suppose this is what is called net grading, and how things are netted depends on the likes and dislikes of the grader. I would rather have a mark on the portrait than an obverse rim nick, but others may think just the opposite. And all net grading doesn't have to be negative. If a coin has unusually mark free surfaces, or what one perceives as a perfect original look, then the coin could be netted a little higher.

This brings me around to that old saying, "I don't grade 'em, I just price 'em". This seems to cover the net grading situation very well. Now let's include the CAC discussion (then again, for now, let's not).

BTW, I judge Paesan's 96-S to be on the plus end of the XF grade, 45. A few years ago our hosts thought 40.

Mark - Nice '93.

Scott - You know my thoughts, I'll select door #2. And I agree completely on CAC.

Pics for this AM, a beauty from Doug's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Scott,

I agree; "know what you're doing as you collect and have an eye for the material". I would rather have no plastic at all! However, in my case, my grown children have no collecting interest and at the back end, the market has accepted CAC as a premium product that adds to selling prices. So what do you do? You find a raw coin (I hate that term) that's a beautiful piece. You send it to a TPG and then, if you desire, send it to CAC. I am sure many of we "mature collectors" have done this. Several of my coins were purchased in the early 70's and looked great without the plastic.

Each of we collectors have to handle grading and pricing with our "end game" in mind.

P.S. ...Sorry about sounding like the retired business owner that I am.
    Craig

• Options
    Craig - Excellent points I completely agree with your logic and statement... If I was thinking more about the end game I would be doing the same thing.. There is no reason not to maximize the sale of a collection and today's market dictates this is the way to do it

Darrell - no rotated reverse Barber Halves have I ever come across; however today I received a 1910-D quarter in NGC-58 and the reverse is approximately 30° rotated.. By the way this newp is a beautiful, dusty olive, golden-gray virgin skinned original.. It was on eBay for 250 or best offer and the seller accepted an offer.. Will eventually get cracked and sent to PCGS if I wasn't such a lazy man .. I have a bunch of others that can keep it company if I ever get off my lazy keister
    imageimage
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    *That is one beautiful 1910 quarter.

*FWIW I would chose the 2nd of Scott's '95 quarters as well. Great looking coin to my eyes.

*FWIW I also completely agree that Lenny's 96-S appears to be on the higher end of the XF scale. To my eyes, it appears equal if not superior to the 96-O in PC45 (with a bean) that has been all over the market in the past 18 months and is currently being offered by DLRC. Impossible to tell without getting a better look at both, but if you asked me which one was a 45 based on the pics Id choose Lenny's coin. Then again I am an idiot image

Scott - I am very curious to see this 10 D you describe. Sounds like one hell of an eBay snag….congrats!

Mike - I really like the look of your new 16 D as well.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    FTB: 12 bucks? You da man!
  • Options
    Congrats FTB. Sweet coin. Looks like a RPM
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    FTB - Hard to beat the price. And doesn't look bad besides.

Pics for this AM, really nice one from Scott's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, found these pics of a 95-O that used to belong to a collector friend. Wonder who has it now?

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I confess. It's not me. Nice coin!
  • Options

After selling my AU 58, (1895-O) and restarting the set all over again, I soon realized that
    these are few and far between. The only one I have found has been an AU 50, which I thought
    might upgrade to a 53. Sorry to report, it didn't.

It's also that I have to get this imaged as well, so many coins need to visit Messydesk. Concentrating
    on Quarters for now. Once those are imaged I'll get some Dimes and Halves photographed.

All I can say is that it'll be some time before many more of my Dimes are imaged.

That ANACS 60 Dime is sweet, I bet it upgrades a few points if resubmitted today.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to buy that 95-O dime at MS60 price. As Mike said, it would most likely upgrade if resubmitted today, probably in the 62-63 range. The other option
    which would make it much more desirable than MS60 would be AU58, but it does look MS.

Doug
  • Options
    I'm sure the 95-O is in a different holder now. It went to a big dealer in Florida for a strong price better than 4 years ago.

Pics for this AM, just because I haven't posted it for a while, the 13-S in my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- I absolutely love that 13-S. It's git the sexy skin that I love on my Barbers. I hope to own one like it someday
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    I haven't posted in a bit so I'll list an old friend that "got away":

Craig

• Options
    Craig- you never cease to amaze Me with those beautiful quarters. I would love to have that 01-O in the old holder. I have a beautiful 92 in a a small white holder. It's a purple and golden toner.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Craig.... I thought we had a pact between us... No more crying over spilt milk !!
    In this case, you for selling, and me... for not buying the whole kit and kaboodle !!
    ( especially that 01-O, as it turns out, it's one of the last half dozen I need to
    complete my new set ) !!

Vern... Sweet 1913-S - very wholesome coin. Thanks for showing off some of Doug's
    coins as well.

Nothing new to report coin wise... My new Black Male Doberman will soon be joined
    by another Doberman, a Red and Tan Female who's another rescue dog out of Ft Lauderdale.
    It seems as though it's elderly owner passed away last Friday and the dog is completely
    socialized and has from what I hear a sweet disposition. I think she'll keep the Male on his
    toes. He's still a puppy at 12 months... and she is 3 yrs old. I am hoping to get her by this
    weekend. Pics to follow.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file