Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm curious about the 57th st collection. Anymore info on that? Is this the same thing as the hoard that stacks announced in march? >>

100% marketing hype IMO .. Likely a accumulation of coins that failed to sell at auction in recent times
    imageimage
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    LogPotato,

It is indeed that collection Stacks announced a few months back. Please see the bottom half of this coin week article.

57th Street collection
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm curious about the 57th st collection. Anymore info on that? Is this the same thing as the hoard that stacks announced in march? >>

100% marketing hype IMO .. Likely a accumulation of coins that failed to sell at auction in recent times >>

Great... I get to use my favorite word....

That 57th Street Collection is a lot of "HOOEY" !!!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LogPotato,

It is indeed that collection Stacks announced a few months back. Please see the bottom half of this coin week article.

57th Street collection >>

Thanks for the link, rkp.

I agree with Scott, sounds like a marketing ploy to clear out the basement. I have no problem with it though. I mean, if they have MS barber 25c laying down there, what else could be in that "collection"?

I hadn't realized they were selling them now.
  • Options

<< <i> That 57th Street Collection is a lot of "HOOEY" !!! >>

I agree wholeheartedly Mike

Justin - I should have answered your question as RKP did .. I actually had read about it but I was so quick to voice my opinion on what the "hoard/collection" was, I failed to actually answer your question ... I am so self-indulgent
    imageimage
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Priceless! I love it when you throw in a one liner!

Lets all just hope we never see The L&C Collection...

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott - I look forward to seeing 57th street hoard coin in hand someday.

Mike - Hooey is right.

Paesan - L & C collection, I love it.

Pics for this PM, another of my dimes, PC53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Newps from Long Beach:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Congrats on the additions. Tough dates. You must be getting close to completing your latest qtr set, eh?

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Nothing like some good old honest wear separates those two groups of images.
    Nice examples, Vern. One of these days, I have to decide whether or not to start
    yet another collection, as I bought the three Barber series Waite Raymond albums.

The Quarter set is getting close, yes, Vern. I am missing the big three, but I never
    expected to get them in this set. I am down to the real tough ones now, the Semi-Keys:
    the following are missing: 1901-O, 1907-S, 1909-O and the 1914-S.

Now, to feed the collector bug, if I see not just an upgrade, but a nicer toned coin than
    the one in my set, I'll jump at it. Now I can appreciate the predicament that Paesan has
    encountered over the years. Keep buying pretty coins as they appear on the marketplace !

BTW, Vern, I like the 1901-S Dime you just posted. Nice rounded cheeks and barely any
    break in luster... I would think its a high end AU.... 55/ 58 ?

(*) My bad, I just reread your
    post with the 01-S Dime... that's an MS 63 ! Oops !
    Edit: (2) : Boy oh, Boy. Do I need better reading glasses !! image
    I could have sworn that said 63. I was surprised it was that high
    as I liked it as a 55 ( now I see it's a 53 ) and it's a great 53 too !!

It's getting harder to tell what the grading room is calling what these days.
    Regardless, it's a great coin, great date as well.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - You'll have a lot of fun if you decide to fill those Wayte Raymond boards with circulated barbers, be they VG's or VF's.
    You really are down to the nitty gritty with only those four left to go. Good hunting.
    My 01-S dime is graded 53 by our hosts.

Pics for this AM, perhaps the most under-rated date in AU (IMO), from Doug's collection, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Awesome coin Vern/Doug and a great looking 53 IMHO.

Vern FWIW I wholeheartedly agree with your statement on the 07-S

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

<< <i>Awesome coin Vern/Doug and a great looking 53 IMHO.

Vern FWIW I wholeheartedly agree with your statement on the 07-S >>

+ 1

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catching up on this thread - been a while for me....anyway I noticed the discussion from a few days ago re: the West 57th Street collection:

<< <i>I agree with Scott, sounds like a marketing ploy to clear out the basement. I have no problem with it though. I mean, if they have MS barber 25c laying down there, what else could be in that "collection"? >>

Was there ever a tally on all the Barber quarters? I wonder, as one of the small time dealers at the Melbourne show even had 6-7 of these yesterday, so I figured they must be rather plentiful. Most were P dates, there was one 95O in a 55 holder that was rather ordinary looking, and as he priced it like a 63, I had no real interest in it.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>.....
    Was there ever a tally on all the Barber quarters? I wonder, as one of the small time dealers at the Melbourne show even had 6-7 of these yesterday, so I figured they must be rather plentiful. Most were P dates, there was one 95O in a 55 holder that was rather ordinary looking, and as he priced it like a 63, I had no real interest in it. >>

Recently, an 1895-O in PCGS 58 CAC sold for just shy of $1,050 with the juice.
    I ought to know, it's a toned beauty and is safely tucked away.

Its image is in the PCGS Registry Forum. See link below. It's almost
    at the end of the thread as I just acquired it a month or two ago.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - This coin looked more like the PC50 that sold for $180 in Mar '13....and was priced quite a bit higher.
    Your coin has a lot more 'character'!

Speaking of pricing, as some may know, I sold off most my dimes and halves at FUN, though I retained a couple. Anyway, an older fellow
    who lives near me and regularly attends the Melb show, has been hounding me for an 09S dime I have that he needs for his set. So I finally
    bring it for him yesterday....we both agree its a nice original VF30+....he asks how much, I say how about $135? He pulls out a 2011 Greysheet and starts shaking his head....after some fussing, he finally says 'well hopefully the prices are higher now, and I've been looking for that coin for years, so I guess I'll take it'.....LOL.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Lol Greysheet.+ any barbers=irrelevant at least in my experience.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Scott/Walkerguy - I've not seen any detail on the 57th Street hoard. Maybe they're still "finding" them.

Mark - Agree on greysheet, it's relevant for coins that trade every day, like an '81-S Morgan.

Pics for this AM, Scott's '07-S qtr, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Here's a too small of an image to do much good... but, its all I have for now...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK you Barber Fanatics...... I'm just a lowly type collector, but these coins have grown on me quite a bit. I snagged what I think is a nice one at the Long Beach Heritage auction:

This is a tough coin to photograph. Avoiding glare over the devices while lighting the borders well enough to see decent detail is a trick.
  • Options
    Bryce - that is a fabulous coin .. Just gorgeous and a great photo .. You're hired image

I have always admired your contributions and postings in the main forum .. You have a remarkable gift of articulation .. I never have a problem deciphering the points you make through your word choice .. And more importantly, you demonstrate and uncommon level of common sense.
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Bryce - that is a fabulous coin .. Just gorgeous and a great photo .. You're hired image

I have always admired your contributions and postings in the main forum .. You have a remarkable gift of articulation .. I never have a problem deciphering the points you make through your word choice .. And more importantly, you demonstrate and uncommon level of common sense. >>

Blush.

Well, thank you. I think I could dig up a few folks with some different opinions about some of that though.......
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryce-

I love the photo- what type of lighting did you use?image
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Bryce...

I made comment ATS on the 06-D. Fabulous coin. I assumed Todd imaged it,
    It looks like his style in set up.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Bryce - That is one stellar type coin. Thanks for sharing (hope there might be a dime and qtr in that type set).

Pics for this AM, an 07-S from the Stash, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Just a thought, there are CC dollars until 1893, wouldn't it have been neat to have 92-CC and 93-CC barber qtrs?

Pics for this AM, if only these had been born 173 miles further east:

Vern
    l
  • Options

What a group of coins that would have been. 1892-CC Micro CC Half Dollar
    1893/92-CC Dime. 1893-CC /S Quarters. The varieties we could have had !!

Nice looking circ's, Vern.

Ok, who here is going all in at the Gardner Sale at the end of this month
    (actually it's in only two weeks ).... I think I'll just buy the hardcover book
    once all four of the auctions are over.

There is a Proof Half ( Barber of course ) that I lust for. Labelman87
    just chuckled saying I had no idea how much it'll sell for, like $25K.
    Guess he's right. Too rich for my blood. Still.....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Craig

• Options

Yes, that's the one I'd love to own.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I've been away from the thread for a bit. Sorry. Thanks for all the kind comments.

My photo setup is a rather large but solid copy stand, a hand-me-down Canon EOS Rebel XSI body, Canon 100mm 1:2.8 USM macro lens and two enormous 90W halogens. They're hot enough to melt the slab insert if I get absent-minded and leave it under the lights too long. Did that once when the doorbell rang. Thank goodness it was a bullion value coin. image I do quite a bit of on-the-fly matting & diffusing to knock down the glare and bring out darker areas. Everything is shot with a tethered connection. That little trick skipped me ahead light-years. The technique is a work in progress - I'm still getting too much emphasis on faint digs & luster scuffs that can't really be seen in-hand as easily. On this coin, the cheek and neck are much nicer in-hand, even with a loupe. The TrueView guys do a better job at showing detail & color without over-emphasizing little issues.

BTW, that 1895 is da bomb!
  • Options
    ... and for the record, here's the Barber portion of the typeset, all together:

The dime is pretty nice - almost prooflike. The vertical die polish lines on the obverse are a bit distracting. Maybe someday a nicer one will come along. The quarter is one of my all-time favorites. It's hard to go wrong with one of Dale's. The colors are mesmerizing. It takes its turn on the screensaver.
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, who here is going all in at the Gardner Sale at the end of this month (actually it's in only two weeks ).... I think I'll just buy the hardcover book once all four of the auctions are over. >>

Mike - I do have a couple of sets of eyes that will be at lot viewing to check out some of the high end quarters .. I am hoping to just land just one highlight/trophy piece - Of them all, there are 3 different coins that are ahead of the pack (assuming I get the green light from the person that will be doing the lot viewing for me) .. The 1895-O/68 quarter, as per the consignor's quote, Walter Breen called it (paraphrasing), "The finest United States quarter <period> .. I had delusions of grandeur on that coin .. But I still hold out hope that one of the others (preliminary choices just based on images) may be all there after viewed in hand .. of course my choices may be entirely different once I get the report

Bryce - I will repeat myself, "You're hired" .. When can you start
    imageimage
  • Options
    Great stuff, Bryce. Thanks for sharing.

Scott, hopefully you kept your powder dry, I doubt anything will go cheap in that sale!
  • Options

<< <i> Scott, hopefully you kept your powder dry, I doubt anything will go cheap in that sale! >>

Dry as a popcorn ....
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike - Won't be at the first Gardner sale. What an amazing collection.

Bryce - What a tremendous barber type set. Thanks for posting. And for sharing the method for those great pics.

Scott - That's dry. Good luck.

Pics for this AM, from Doug's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, one of my favorites, bought raw now PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern... That's a sweet 96-S.... I disagree with the grade.

Looks AU 53 to me. Easily.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern that's a mighty fine quarter .. Just a beautiful coin .. Does look 53 on a different day - agree MFH; I always like the conservative opinion and I bet that coin looks great in the holder; rock solid example which is also an extremely aesthetically appealing coin.

To find such a coin raw is the biggest thrill for me in this hobby .. I prefer to find superb looking coins, especially keys and semis in the raw is very exhilarating for me; much of the fun lies in the speculation as to what it will or would it grade if submitted to PCGS .. Receiving the coins grade via the internet is the climax or (let down)

Edit to add: Doug - that's a pretty dang nice 1912 quarter !
    imageimage
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Scott.

The last two quarters posted by Vern are great examples of grading inconsistency. My 1912 should be a 55 at best, and I agree with Mike and Scott that Vern's 96-S is better than AU50.

Doug
  • Options
    Thanks for the positive comments on my 96-S, and Doug, your '12 has just the right look, regardless of grade.

Pics for this AM, can't have a discussion about under-graded 96-S qtrs without mentioning Doug's PC-53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Makes no difference by showing Doug's "53" ..... I think most of
    us felt it was a 55. It was after all an NGC 55 before it crossed and
    it was a solid coin for the grade,even for NGC.

Seems that as of late, PCGS has become even more conservative
    than they ever have been in the past. Then, for no reason what so
    ever, I see coins barely XF 40 make it in 58 holders. Those must
    have been graded by the Perkins School.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I have my eye on a couple but was unable to get to view them myself. I suspect I may end up with one for my set, even though there are a number that would be numeric upgrades. I am very interested to see how all the coins do. Now the Pogues are going to sell their set! Not sure what Barber halves might be in that! Some potential great additional opportunities. Will let everyone know if I get anything from Gardner, but won't tell which coins I am interested in at this point.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Dr. Pete,
    I don't know which Barber Quarters you may be reviewing but I can tell you that I have viewed a few of these coins in hand prior to plastic (in the 1970's, my younger days) and they were spectacular. I can also tell you that all owners of the 1901-S (in the 1980's) all held it in the highest regard despite two tiny hair lines hidden on the obverse. Unfortunately, I have to keep that provenance confidential. I too would like to acquire a specimen or two but think it may be a challenge to accomplish.

Goof luck.
    Craig

• Options
    Mike - I agree completely, it's like a box of chocolates.

DrPete - Thought Pogues was earlier stuff, but I'm a long way from certain.

Craig - It would have been neat to see some of those coins pre-plastic.

Pics for this AM, one of the first coins that became mine from Paesan's Stash, NGC 62 now PC62:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Labelman87,

I was responding to the thread and didn't realize it was right after a Barber quarter post, as I was on a different page of the thread. I am only interested in the Barber halves in the Garner sale. Your insight into the quarters is duly noted and appreciated and likely is mirrored in the halves. Mr Gene Gardner had excellent help in picking his coins and should do very well.

I still think it is possible that the Pogues may have some high-end Barber coins, even if their focus was on the super high-end early Federal issues. More information will be forthcoming, I am sure. There was some speculation that the 1892-O micro O in PCGS MS 67 James Stack is placed with that collection. We all know Dale Friend has the top-graded Eliasberg cexample in MS 68. Although my micro O is a magnificent MS 65, having a shot at the MS 67 would be interesting and fit well with my set (if I can afford the coin). There could also be some of the other top-notch Barber halves in the Pogue collection, like the proof-like 1894-O from Pryor and some of the other MS 68's that seem to have disappeared along the way. I have tracked mint state Barber halves for about 20 years and a few of these coins have not hit my radar since they were sold.

Exciting times for us collectors!
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Dr. Pete,

Thanks for the info. Back in my early days I was interested in Barber & Walking Liberty Halfs. I have reviewed my notes (from a non plastic review of the James A. Stack sale) and did review each Barber Half in the collection. The 1892-O Micro was lot 572 and realized $3,100 and came from the William C. Atw'ter sale (had to use the ' instead of the a due to the site error program check). Of all Barber Halfs the finest condition & eye appeal, in my opinion, were the following: 1897-S, 1904-S, 1906-D, 1908-O, 1909-S (a sensational coin) and the 1915-S. I bid $421.51 on the 1909-S (lot 630) but it ended up going for $470. For upscale, appeal information lot 381, an 1826 Bust Half, was the best Bust Half (in my opinion) ever minted. It had to be seen to be believed.

Many of the Gardner Barbers are close to condition rarity and I hope you can add something here to your fine collection.
    Craig

• Options
    DrPete - Seems like a lot of super high-end material coming out at the same time. Good luck with adding something to your collection.

Craig - Great info, you are a well organized collector.

Pics for this AM, a newp from Scott, tough coin in AU, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I can't afford anything in the Gardner or Pogue collection, but I will have a good time watching! Hope you find a nice upgrade, DrPete. Exciting times indeed.
  • Options
    Vern,
    I'll bet your gigantic image library is well organized as well as your collection. image
    Craig

• Options
    Craig - Both are getting there.

Pics for this AM, beautiful newp into Paesan's Stash, PC65:

imageimage
    Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file