TwoSides... Thx for the congrats...

Taking a 3700th post will cost you...

Please post a Barber you own or have
    Owned in the past.

No excuses... We will expect something
    interesting in the near future !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    YepTwo sides you are on deckimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

It ain't much, but it's somethin'
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, that's the ticket into this forum...

Nice Dime "two sides" !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Thanks Mike.

I'm a proponent of collecting fine things image
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    2 Sides - Sweet looking dime!

Mike - Totally agree with your assessment of the raw 11 P I posted on the last page. I'll be quite pleased to add it to my set as a PC55. God Bless eBay Bucks image

Vern - Some truly sweet pics the past few days. I have to agree that the dime is an amazing coin.

Got my submission back from our hosts today. Only one going into my XF/AU set, but a handful of nicer and tougher VF's that Ill likely sell to help fund some tougher dates Im still looking for. Here's one I added to my set today. Cracked out of an ANACS AU-50 holder and came back PC-50 as I expected. The light scratches on Liberty's cheek will keep me looking for an upgrade, but we all know this is a date that is tough to find in any AU grade.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    JKT, thanks. That '09 S works fine. At least it got the grade. Just enough crud on it to ensure it's been left alone for a while. Those light scratches do not detract a whole lot for many collectors.
    Many coins in the office through estate sales, competitive street bidding, etc., just never make these threads. But once in a while, a little nostalgia kicks in and a guy starts wondering where a coin like the following has been, and what it WOULD have graded had it not been holed. C'est la vie.

"scuse the lousy photo. skills. Regards, Joe
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - Congrats on the purchase and grade on the '14. Looks like nice orig haze on it.

Joe - Welcome to the mega-thread. '97 dime looks good. And if only coins could talk, to tell what they've seen and what they've done.

JT - Congrats on the grade on that tough '09-S. Looks better than many I've seen in higher AU grades.

Pics for this AM, a newp in the forgotton "barber" series, PC58. Was enough to get me to put my V nicks in the registry.

V Nickel Registry

edited to get the link right
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Hi Vern... The V Nickels were still heavily circulating when I was a kid in Boston.
    I never paid too much attention to them but my Grandfather sure did. He put
    aside any AU-MS looking example he would find. He found quite a few, as he was
    an MTA Trolly driver in Boston. When times got hard, people would spend all the
    old coins they had laying around, whether or not they were worth over face value.

When my Grandfather passed, my Grandmother gave me his coin collection as I was
    the oldest grandchild and his name sake. His collection of V Nickels was far from complete
    and in the late 1980's I finally pulled out the old Whitman album, and started adding the
    missing dates. It wasn't until the mid 1990's before I completed the set with the addition
    of an 1886 in AU 53 in a PCI Green Holder.... Which crossed a few years later as a PCGS 58.image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - It's good you were the oldest, to receive his collection. Any pics of the set, or of that '86?

Pics for this AM, the 96-O half in PC30 that I passed along when I acquired my current XF.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Twins!

I'm now the proud owner of two 1914 PCGS AU 58 Barber Half Dollars. Although not identical, they're both as handsome as can be in their own ways. Here's a portrait of the two of them together:

Here's a portrait of the one sporting the green bean, my first:

imageimage

And here's a portrait of the new addition to the family:

imageimage

Although it's a real cool feeling to have 2 of these, I now must decide to part with one. I love the story behind the one I found raw on eBay, so I'll likely be keeping it and trading/ selling the one with the green bean. Is anyone in the market?
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing those two half dollars, Jeff.

Here is one with a little more miles on it.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff...2 nice coins. Since I have not been envolved in any gaffs over this issue I will spill the beans on the rules and etiquette. Take it to the Buy,Sell,Trade Forum! It is against the rules to attempt to sell or trade coins in the regular forums. I'm sure you understand why...as that would be all you would see! image
  • Options
    Jeff - Thanks for the pics, those are both beauties. Congrats again on the ebay purch.

Justin - Another stellar VF, up to your usual standard.

Pics for this AM, a newp recd yesterday (thanks Jim), PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 14-S
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, a recent return from our hosts that did not grade. I've certainly seen worse coins in graded holders.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern,
    I agree

but I can see where this coin was cleaned /altered

jim
  • Options

<< <i>Vern,
    I agree

but I can see where this coin was cleaned /altered

jim >>

Jim... Please instruct us... Where is the cleaning or alteration ?
    I also agree, I have seen lots worse in graded holders as well.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,Verne Looks like they are upset with the few light hairlines across the cheek. Crack that sucker our and send it in again! I've been successful with at least a dozen Barber Halves that the 1st time they called cleaned and next time straight graded!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AS I mention, I too have seen coins worse than this in holders, but too Me it just has that look of being cleaned or enhanced a little. especially the obv. The dullness of the main design and surrounding fields contrast the areas where the luster has not been messed with. Similar coins I have sent in before looked like this , that I was hoping they would grade, did not for cleaning or altered surfaces.
  • Options

Oh, okay, Jim. Your initial statement was that it was obvious that the
    coin was cleaned or altered. I also looked at the disturbance around
    the portrait, but, as mentioned, we've all seen worse in a graded holder.
    I thought there was an obvious cleaning or alteration that I was missing.
    There is none that fall into those categories regarding this coin.

Vern, as Darrell mentioned, resubmit the coin ( I assume he means
    crack it out first ) . That coin is a lock 55, IMHO.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern- that 59 - O dime is super sexy. As for the 99 - O quarter I would resubmit as well (like others said). If it fails to grade again just send it to me and I'll store it in my Slowly progressing Wayte Raymond Boardsimage.

Btw- not insinuating a sell on the thread
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments on the 1899-O Quarter folks .. It was part of a largish submission of quarters which included the 95-P/63, 95-S/58; 95-S/62, 05-O/62, 02-S GENUINE (Unc. Details) et.al ..

And Vern that 1895-O dime is also a super snatch image

There are no hairlines and the luster is a full cartwheel .. There is no obvious "sheen" or otherwise distracting contact marks or luster breaks ... It would almost certainly grade 58 if submitted once or three times more ..

Ca$h Cow

Thanks for posting the 1899-O Vern - when I bought it raw in Manchester, I was 50/50 on it grading 58 or coming back Genuine .. I may resubmit

* edited for spelling corrections
    imageimage
  • Options
    Jim/Darrell/Mike - Our hosts returned the 99-O for cleaning, which I would agree with 100%, it's not an original coin. I guess my wording with the pic made it seem that I was surprised at the outcome. My thought was that what gets graded is the luck of the draw on coins that aren't original, since there isn't consistency here or ATS.

Scott - Ca$h cow is right, it's an unregulated license to print money.

Mark - Thanks for the compliment on the dime.

Pics for this AM, from Doug's collection (via Scott), a coin without any doubt on originality, PC58:

edited to get the correct pics in.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, my favorite date in Indian Cents, V nickel version, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern, very nice V-nickel. I never got too interested in them. Why is 1892 your favorite Indian cent date?

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Nice V Nickel, Vern. I also have an AU 58 in my set.

I was able to upgrade another Quarter... I have two of this date in AU 53...

Without the coin in hand, its hard to tell, but it looks like a Type 3 to me.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Paesan - Ever since I started collecting Indian Cents in the early '90's, the 1892 has been the date that was impossible to find in a good looking 65RB. To me, very under-rated and underpriced.

Mike - Good looking 00-S. Congrats.

Pics for this AM, my 00-S, which came out of Paesan's Stash, PC58. Similar look to Mike's newp:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Well, maybe not. Mine's whiter than I remembered.
    Vern
    l
  • Options

I sold off a 1895-S Dime to Steve H. { Patches } and he brought it up in a thread as an undergraded coin - which it certainly was.
    It was part of a bulk submission of Barber Dimes I had - either in an old Whitman Bookshelf Album or in a Dansco Album.

{ That Thread was just bumped by myself to add an image of my current 1895-S }

While I still have its image attached to my "Paste" function - I thought you might like to see it.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - That's a stellar looking 95-S. Undergraded, is it MS? If so, I'd say 63, possibly 64.

Pics for tonight, Paesan's current 00-S, PC58. He has an abundance of riches in the Stash, very happy he let me acquire one.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    That 11-D looks amazing....

• Options
    Justin - Beautiful 03-O. But are you branching out? It looks pretty XFy to me.

Pics for this late AM, haven't posted a dime for awhile (don't have many to post), PC30:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The latest addition to my Barber Half set- a 1895 graded AU 58 by NGC. Eventually I'll submit this to cross at PCGS:

I bought this off an eBay auction from a dealer in Hong Kong who sells a lot of coins/ currency, including a lot of US material. I was a bit apprehensive about the coins authenticity (coming from China), but the listing photos checked out with the NGC online verification. The coin in hand matched the NGC photos as well. I feel confident it's authentic.

Has anyone else noticed there are a lot more Barber fakes out there these days? I reported 2 listings this past week; one of them a very crude reproduction the other very good other than the digits in the date were a bit too slender and the stars were out of proportion. I have to wonder if the people selling these coins realize they're fakes or not?

I also picked up an AU 1896 Half this week:

It looks like a 53 to me, but there's a very minor rim ding on the reverse at 9:00. Any thoughts on whether this coin will grade or not?
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, Nice pair of halves. I'd say the 95 would end up in a 55 holder (portrait marks) and the 96 is about a 50/50 chance. They've graded worse for me, and they've rejected better, so anyone up for a game of roulette?

Justin, As always, nice VF half contribution from The Big Easy.

Vern, If you're only gonna have a few dimes, they may as well be 96-Os

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Vern, not quite XF. It's in a 35 holder and I agree on the grade. That type of coin is my favorite. All but XF without the XF price tag.
  • Options
    Jeff - Good looking '95. I'd say the odds are against on the '96 grading. I haven't noticed many fake barbers, but I don't spend much time on ebay anymore.

Justin - Good logic, and I love your selections.

Pics for this AM, another dime, this one from Joe in Colo, PC58:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options

I have a friend coming to visit next weekend and he volunteered to do some imaging for me.
    I'll have him concentrate on only the coins that I have no images of what so ever. There's plenty
    of those, that's for sure.

Have not been on the boards too much as of late, as the two dogs are keeping me pretty busy,
    especially the younger male; he's a 70# puppy. The two get along great, couldn't be happier.

That 95-O Dime from The Beancounter Collection - aka: Joe W. - sure is sweet. I believe he located
    that one in Australia - I could be wrong - but I know he and I both picked up some really nice Dimes
    from "Down Under".... & all thru eBay. Joe's coin is completely devoid of any circulation marks, unlike
    my old 95-O in PCGS 58, that had a noticeable tick at 7 O'Clock on the obverse. I had bought the coin
    blind from an old Stacks auction and all I knew about it was that it was graded AU 58 by PCGS. " How
    bad could it be ? " . 😉image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Not sure if I have posted this before - bought it 2008 - sold it in 2011 - it sat on eBay at a stupid amount of money -
    buyer kept refusing my offers to buy it back - finally after 2 & 1/2 years, I said - he'd never get his asking price
    because its not a rare variety - hardly anyone cares about it - I just would like to get it back into my set [ sub set ].
    Finally he listened to reason - I added a small 20% profit for him in my offer.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Really nice looking '92. Glad it came back home.

Pics for today, Paesan's TDR '92, PC62:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, not a variety but near perfection, from Doug's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern, I apologise, I didn't really study some of the images you posted
    in the last week or so, being preoccupied.

Congrats on picking up that wonderful 1895-O Dime, which seems to
    be at least an MS 63 ... Maybe a 64 ? Nice fields and cheek. The 1896-O
    is nothing to sneeze at either but sooner or later, that other O Dime will
    want a nicer neighbor in your set.

My 95-O is a 50 and my 96-O is a 45. They are fine together. I plan on
    having both of these imaged this weekend and will post them once done.
    The toughest nut to locate in choice AU is the 1897-O. Joe W. had been looking
    for an upgrade for his AU set, as his was only a 35. He found a 45 and I bought
    his 35 for my set, as I thought that was the direction I was going at the time.

Joe had a want list with Glenn for an AU 1897-O which was filled in a small show
    in Northern California by a dealer who had just bought a Superb AU 55 ( or 58 ? )
    ...memory lapse, sorry .... so, Joe sells me his 45, which I still have ... Glenn sells
    my old 35.... and the hunt continues for another AU example ( this time for me ! )

That's another coin that needs to be imaged.

All I can say, it'll be fun to pull the Barbers out of the blue boxes and into Eagle pages.
    A job that will facilitate my friend in examining my collection. Storage of the blue boxes
    is fine, but I just can't enjoy my sets being couped up like that. I like to see pages of
    slabs all in order. It also gives me the option of showing off the duplicates and the nicer
    Mint State examples side by side with the lesser graded coins. My stash is NOTHING
    compared to Paesan's stash. His collection is actually overwhelming in its breath and width.
    So many fantastic coins - like mine: all couped up in blue boxes. I think Lenny would agree.

Well, the Summer coin season is fast upon us. Many are off to Long Beach this week, I wish
    one day to see that city, and attend that show. Followed closely by the Colorado Springs
    Coin Show and the ANA Summer Seminars being held at the same time inbetween sessions
    one and two. Best day for the coin show is Friday, June 27th if you are teaching or taking classes.

Then, a few weeks later,the Summer FUN show in mid July is being held. I hope to make at
    least one day of that show. Shooting for the auction preview and seeing friends who are manning
    Glenn's table, and get to do some browsing on my own, and not stuck behind a table.

The mega show in August in Rosemont will have to survive with out me, I just can't deal with a week long
    show and I refuse to kennel the two dogs for anything more than an overnight stay, at least this year.

Ok... I've babbled long enough... Happy Hunting everyone.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Thanks for the compliment on the new 95-O dime. It's in an old 63 holder.
    I'm certain you and your friend will enjoy the weekend going over your collection. I look forward to many pics.

Pics for this AM, my other 96-O dime, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern... That was pretty sneaky...LOL
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern / Paesan - very nice example of the TDR Quarter .. The King of Barber Varieties has to go to the Miami Mafioso ..

Really Love the look on Doug's 1892 Quarter .. It is a look I am quite fond of .. I have very few that compare, my 1897-P comes to mind as being the closest example (also one of my most prized AU examples, common date aside) ..

Your pair of dimes are extraordinary in their own right .. I know very little about the dime series .. it's the look of that 1895-O that is most appealing to me, rare or common - it is beautiful .. Being as scarce as it is just makes it that much more desirable. Great coins!

Here is a newp from a recent Stacks internet auction (This was my first purchase from them since Stack's bought out Teletrade) .. I have to say with all the bashing and complaining in the main US coin forum over the Stack's auctions poor service, terrible website, etc .. I was skeptical over bidding but decided to formulate my own opinion based on my own experience. I had no issues bidding; I had no issues tracking their auction lots; I had no issues paying the invoice immediately after being alerted I had won; and the coin arrived the Thursday after the Sunday auction on the holiday (Memorial Day) week. The only thing I would critique is their quality of images. They all have the same look of being "enhanced" .. Now that is probably true across the board to some extent .. You always have to interpret and use experience to assess what you are looking at .. So ..all in all I give them 4 1/2 stars. Maybe I am the "one off" .. But I have no gripes .. Least not with Stacks. The bonus was the high bidder (me), was well under $300

This coin is creamy and has the look and luster of a Morgan dollar from the early 1880s. There is a little "luster blemish"around the cheek bone and as you can see, this coin exhibits the famous mid 1900's New Orleans mumps appearance as can be seen in the neck area. But the coin is attractive, the strike is pretty sharp. While I am certain the coin has been dipped at some point (as I feel about 99% of pre-1940 coins), it does not have a dipped out look as the luster is soft and radiant; warm and powerful and it is just overall a nice looking coin. Far from my favorite .. but far from my least favorite too .. I give it a 7+ Middle of the road Joe .. You may GTG if you Must .. for that reason, I will not reveal the answer yet ..

Oh .. Yes..One last item ...Obviously it is graded by the NGC so when/if you do GTG; please be sure to estimate the PCGS grade and don't forget to add 30; plus or minus 10 points for it being NGC and not from our host image

imageimage

And here is the aforementioned 1897 25c in PCGS AU58 of which I am very fond of .. Love this coin ! (* images courtesy of Vern; not the above photos {obviously}, just the 1897 image )
    imageimage

*Edited for spelling
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would say the 06-O is a 55 in the NGC holder. Weird that it looks like the 53 I sold in September of last year.

Vern/Mike I live seeing those key date dimes.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
  • Options
    Mike - As you suggested in the previous post, I have been looking for a nice MS '96-O dime, for several years. None have come along that I liked. Tough coin.

Scott - Congrats on the Stacks newp. Looks like it has tons of luster. I can't remember if you mentioned the grade in an earlier text, so I'll guess ATS said 58.
    And I really like the originality of your '97.

Lostincoins - A man of many words, I see. Welcome to the barber mega-thread, comments are always encouraged, pics even more so.

Pics for this AM, Scott's '92, a nice PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Definition of insanity = my attempts at coin photography (Justin nailed it.. Perseverance aside!)

Here is the NGC grade of the 1906-O. It is one of those coins that grades 58 one day and 62 another. There is no high point rub or luster break that I can detect. However, the luster blemish (as described by myself for lack of a better word in my numismatic vocabulary and a couple of tiny ticks may result Ina 58 grade. I believe the coin to be a truly mint state coin.. Undoubtedly, a very available coin in MS60-MS64 on the cheek
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm curious about the 57th st collection. Anymore info on that? Is this the same thing as the hoard that stacks announced in march?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file