Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Perplexed. Did you suspend search for 01-S?
    Damn nice nickel.

That's what my question was?
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    <<at Vern>> "* Now my baby's gone I don't know what to do
    She took my love and walked right out the door
    And if I ever find that girl I know one thing for sure
    I'm gonna give her something like she never had before*"
    imageimage
  • Options
    A lot of live for Led Zeppelin around these parts😎
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Pics for tonight, from my partial collection of V's, PC58:

image >>

Vern - really nice 1887 Nickel.

I'm pretty happy that my set has a direct connection with my Grandfather.
    More than half of my set came out of his pocket change. He liked AU's too !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern- Nice liberty nickel.

Mike-All I can say is Congrats on that 86 nickel.it seems you have a thing with Key date rarities that are sweet errors

This is 1 of my newP's that I been after for almost 8 months. It's not a key date nor error but it's the sweetest quarter in a OGH that I have found.
    As our good friend Paesan says(it's my trickle down numismatics)acquisition.1893p AU-55 OGH
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking OGH coin Mark. image

Mike - Like the nickels. I have yet to become a nickel collector of any type but I tend to like the way that Liberty nickels color more than the average Buffalo or Jefferson. The error is very cool.

Lenny - That 97o is ridiculous indeed, pal. Some strong praise from some mighty knowledgeable guys on it and well deserved imho.

Scott - Love your love of Zeppelin. I have played guitar and piano for basically my whole life (Mom's a piano teacher) and Jimmy Page is one of my absolute favorites. My (totally unsolicited) "top of my head" favorites from that era: 1. Allman Brothers 2. Led Zeppelin 3. The Who 4. The Doors (Early stuff) 5. Velvet Undergound

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, Glad you like the 93 quarter. The coin is much better than the pix show. Good luster and originality.

JT, thanks for kind words., I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that 97-O half. I guess it might be worth the crazy money I spent!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

Very nice 1893 quarter! Conservatively graded too.

Lenny,

How did that beauty escape the stash?

Doug
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leon - Not much wear, but a break in the luster from the 'I' in Liberty down the high point of the hair.

Paesan - Nope, still on the 01-S hunt. Saw your Zep closing and couldn't resist one of my own.

Scott - I knew you'd be all over that "Hot Dog".

Mike - Neat that your passion for AU's is in the blood.

Mark - Nice acquisition from the Stash. Can't recall seeing it before.

JT - Great call on the Allman Bros. Bros & Sisters and Eat a Peach, that Dickey was the Betts.

Pics for tonight, here's another '93 from the Stash, PC64:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Found another qtr from the Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Doug, Its was hard for me to say goodbye to the 93. Mark knows it too! He likes green holder coins so I obliged. Then Vern goes and reminds me that I have other 93s to go cry to. Honestly, I finding it a rewarding and important part if the hobby to help other collectors build sets.

Paesan
  • Options
    Everyone-Thanks for the comments.
    Yes I like the OGH but I got lucky to have a very nice coin in it as well.that's 1 that will be in my collecrion til the good lord calls me home...I very much appreciate the help that I recieve here and a chance to get some nice coins that are Preapproved.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark - Good call on the OGH's.

Pics for this AM, haven't put one up from Scott's collection recently, TDR, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Recently muscled away by the SE mafia command.
  • Options
    Here's a coin I have been searching for quite a while. Although some may say it's not on the top 20 toughest I definitely think it's a runner up. I got it off JT immediately after it was posted on Ebay. Now if i could just find her sister from SanFran i would be happy. PC55imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Vern / Scott:

Terrific TDR. Mighty pretty coin.

Vern / Lenny:

Equally attractive Quarter.

Mark:

Looking for that date myself, you're one lucky guy
    and youth has it's way over age, once again. Having
    an eBay app to notify you of a new listing seems the
    "Way to Go" in the 21st Century. It wasn't that long ago
    that I thought "sniping bids" via some electronic device
    seemed unfair to those of us who placed their bid and let
    the chips fall where they may... I also remember watching
    eBay auctions live, watching the seconds tick away and at
    the appropriate moment, place my bid with a few seconds
    to spare.

Recently, I read ( here probably ) that the majority of eBay
    auctions are now "B.I.N." ( Buy it Now or Best Offer ). If that
    didn't punch a hole in the Snipe Programs, I don't know what
    else will.

The couple of auctions coming up soon, Heritage's San Francisco
    and Stacks/Bowers' Baltimore sales, are drawing quite a bit of interest
    in all areas of Barber collecting. Stack's has not sent their catalog yet
    ( the first time they have ever cut it so short to the auction date ) but
    I finally went on their site and was able to maneuver around it without
    too many errors. { Point is: } They listed one of the nicest and most original
    1893/2 Dimes in PCGS 65 that anyone will ever see ! Fantastic coin IMHO.
    Yeah, they had a smattering of coins that I said "oohhh" and "ahhh" over
    but nothing that would work into my sets.

We have heard from reliable sources, that the 1913-S in PCGS 58 is the worst job
    of grading ever to fall upon the prestigious grading company PCGS. The grader who
    signed off on that coin better hope his bosses don't find out who he is, he'll get sent
    back to the ANA Grading Course 101. That's just a terrible coin. OMG. My condolences
    to the collector who bought the plastic and not the coin.

Seems as though the "Monthly Prize for the Most Collectible Barbers" has got to go to
    Heritage. They have an array of all denominations in various grades - and of course,
    the Quarters are well represented. I have no horse in this race so I wish the consignors
    all the best. A couple of coins caught my eye, a group of a dozen in AU 55-58 are in my
    sights but I think I'll be a bit conservative this go-around. Nine of the dozen I like are
    already in my latest collection, and I was pleased with those coins when I bought them
    and although, yes, it would be nice to squeeze out an upgrade here and there. I don't
    feel the necessity of grabbing all the goodies and holding them until the market explodes
    and then charge "the going rate" later down the line. Regardless of what you call the action,
    a hoard is a hoard & by any other name, it's still hoarding. It's not really collecting. It smacks
    of a dealer building inventory. Nothing wrong with that, and there is nothing wrong with saving
    some of your favorite dates in multiple - it's just seems unfair to others who are looking for a
    certain date ( ie: 1913-S Dimes ) - and there are none available because some collectors are
    hell bent on saving rolls of the date... Yes, rolls.

Sorry, I ramble at times, must be awfully good coffee this morning.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, Thanks for compliment. I too enjoyed sniping and last second bidding. It was fun to get a deal now and then. I rarely buy and practically never sell on eBay anymore.

Mark, Not a bad 95-O. I'm not crazy about some hairlines or wipe marks on obverse, but I do think its a better date, in all denominations.

Paesan
  • Options
    A thought about the 13-S AU-58. First, I haven't seen the coin. I'm not prepared to purchase it even if it was legit. As for the grade, nobody has mentioned or considered a label error. I've seen wrong year, wrong mint mark, and wrong denomination on Pcgs labels. That's human error. Why not the grade? Maybe it was supposed to be a 50, or a 25? Maybe it was supposed to be "cleaned" and oops, we screwed up!
    Just a thought. I mean planes disappear so stranger things have happened.

Paesan
  • Options

Once again, you read into something that is not there.

You're being too kind about the mechanical error on the 1913-S Quarter.
    The Finalizer at PCGS should have caught that error, it's not as if it's a
    1913-D Quarter.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Once again? I'm not sure what that means. Please elaborate.

All I was suggesting is that human error is always a possibility. The finalizer is human I'm assuming?
  • Options

I think I saw this on line a few times - and the owner refused to budge
    from his asking price when I inquired about it last year or so ago.

I had this variety in my old set - its a super coin - and my images do
    not show the green bean - which it received when I submitted the collection
    to CAC in 2011.

Well, the seller listened to reason and turned a smaller a profit than he thought
    he would get - but I told him that he had the coin for two years, maybe he was
    trying to make too much money on a coin that was just about capped out on price.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Paesan - Glad the SE mafia got ahold of the TDR.

Mark - Agree, the 95-O is tougher than it gets credit for. Good luck w/ the 95-S.

Mike - Agree, Heritage wins the prize for making barber material available.

Paesan - I hadn't considered a labeling error on that 13-S, but that is a possibility.
    I can't believe that 3 graders and a finalizer looked at the obv of that coin and thought gradeable AU58.
    I also find it hard to believe that the pics are that far off on the obv, the reverse of the coin looks nice.
    Hope Scott (and perhaps others) will see it in hand and give their thoughts.

Mike - Congrats of the '92 qtr acquisition.

Pics for this AM, I'll try again on one from Scott's collection, PC62:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Mike that a nice 92 with a kewl variety to boot. Here's a little comom date I picked up to match a few I already have. I think its a very original virgin surface example.GtG Anyone?
    imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    I'll guess that 06-D dime was graded MS-64.

Paesan
  • Options
    Paesan - But they got the year right.

Mark - I'll guess 40.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- the 1906 above is a PCGS AU-50.

Here is the rainbow colored 1909-D I mentioned a few days ago. I've never seen this kinda color on a Barber quarter that I have had the chance to purchase. Let me know what yall think
      imageimage

Here's a Obv pic I just took. There is a gash that I didn't see until I got it entered in my set and PCGS pics popped up. The color is amazing thoimage
      Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    1. Options
      Mark, Hard to tell if color is true. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the marks in the portrait than the color, and I like color!

Paesan
    2. Options
      LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
      Not for me Mark, too blotchy and painted on looking. I agree with Lenny about the scratches on the portrait.

Doug
    3. Options

Mark, the new Quarter has very unusual toning for sure, but nothing
      that screams doctored or AT. The minor scratch on the face was masked
      by the toning. That has happened to me before and I sold the coin ASAP.
      The scratch will be the only thing you focus on in the future. Trust my
      experience on this one.

Mike Hayes
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    4. Options
      Lenny-Doug- i would like the color more if it was displayed differentlu. Thanks for yalls opinions.

Mike- i actually agree with you. I'm gna toss it back or sell it. That's 1 very nasty scratch and explains the shotty pics from the seller.

Ty eveveryone
      Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    5. Options
      Looks like nice secondary toning to me, Mark. Definitely not for everybody, but Im not against that look at all, and have owned several with similar toning. Agree with others about the scratch, though. A few hairlines along the way are probably unavoidable for most Barber quarter collectors who want to put a full set together in XF/AU, but that scratch on the obverse looks to be a little deeper than I'd normally be comfortable with, especially on a common date. That's 100% JMHO though.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

6. Options
      Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
      Mark,

When in doubt, throw it out! This one really has to go. IMO.

7. Options
      It's going going gone!!!!
      Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    8. Options
      Mark, I made a lot of mistakes paying premiums for fake color in the early going. It took some tutoring to realize that good surface quality is worth hunting for more than color. My guess is that a majority of colorful coins are probably not original, and it takes a lot of years of practice to tell the difference. My advice is to go for coins that don't have any major marks on portrait, field or rims. If you get some color as well then that's a bonus. I'm sure there will be different opinions here, but my success rate over the last few years compared to my first few years is night and day, and I wish someone would have told me sooner.

Paesan
    9. Options
      Great advice/words of wisdom from the Paesan as usual…..the real hard part though for some (OK me) is finding those coins that he is describing, and being patient enough to wait for them image

Ill go on the record, though, as saying that I for one don't mind secondary color, and as a matter of fact there's a tougher BQ that will be on it's way to VA soon that Im pretty excited about image I completely understand why many seasoned collectors prefer to avoid it, I just don't mind being honest about the fact that I for one find it to be appealing in some instances (not in all cases by any stretch, but I have a few I really like).

10. Options
      Lenny- Thanks for your advice and trust me when I say I do listen whenever I am offered priceless advice. I bought this coin only because of the color and the seller pic was so bad that all I could tell was that it was pretty. If he wouldn't have had a(return) I would have never ever bid.

Jt -I am 1 of those guilty parties that like secondary toning as well but this coin is just a bit to beat up for me. As far a being patient,well I have tried to be but certain people keep tossing some very nice semi-key and tougher coins on Ebay 👍👏that i have been looking for for months without finding 1 and all of a sudden there are many lol..
      Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    11. Options
      Mark - More meat on your '06 than I gave it credit for. And I'm glad you avoided the '09-D with the scratches. Another will come along.

Pics for this AM, a raw half that a friend acquired a few years back. Still raw and in his partial set.

Vern
      l
    12. Options
      Outstanding
    13. Options
      Craving a box of chocolate snaps and a cold glass of milk.

Paesan
    14. Options

<< <i>Craving a box of chocolate snaps and a cold glass of milk.

Paesan >>

Sounds good bro.I'm craving a nicely toned 95-S or 05-S quarter lol
      Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    15. Options

<< <i>I'm craving a nicely toned 95-S or 05-S quarter lol >>

You and me both ... two more of the missing dates in the newer set.

Edit: I knocked off a date I have been searching for this afternoon.
      EX: TinCup collection. Quarter: 1906-O PCGS 55. Images to follow.
      Thx, JT.

ReEdit: Seems our friend, JT, had a few other Quarters that I thought would
      be nice upgrades... I'm telling you, this is an obsession.... and I picked up a
      couple more coins: 1906-D in 58; 1908-D in 55 and a 1916-D in an OGH in 58.
      Not an upgrade, but, one heck of a tough date, a 1909-S in XF 45 ( recently, I
      picked up a MS 64 ) but, when was the last time you saw another XF/ AU
      example of this date ?? Again, images to follow.

Mike Hayes
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    16. Options
      Things are moving right along ... I am 74 coins short of my BQ collection (I don't call it a set as that is not my goal. And I certainly don't want a "well matched" set. I like having the nicest coins with the most original-appearing surfaces (I don't think more than a very small handful of coins are truly "original" at this point.. I consider this to be the #1 over-used term in all of numismatics personally ...
      imageimage
    17. Options

Vern,

Very nice Half your friend owns. You find it for him ?
      Finding a raw 1897-S looking like that is as rare as
      hen's teeth.

Mark,

Glad you're sending back that mottled Quarter.
      You'd never be happy with it.

Scott,

So, you've liquidated your Quarter collection ?
      Starting again with the "right look" in mind just
      may be the way to go.

JT,

Thanks again for a very pleasant experience. I'm
      thrilled to have picked up a few great looking coins.

Mike Hayes
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    18. Options
      Mike - Congrats of the acquisitions, look forward to pics. My friend acquired the 97-O half in a partial set from a wholesaler. Not all were problem free, but many were really nice.
      My only involvement was helping him sell most of the problem ones (years ago).

Scott - As I recall from way back, Someone Saved My Life Tonight, was about Elton almost getting married (to a female).
      Then a few years later he did marry some female, but that didn't last (as one might expect).
      I'm a big fan of his music, especially the early stuff, up to about GYBR.

Pics for tonight, another from the raw half set.

Vern
      l
    19. Options
      I love that song, but ironic he refers to her as a princess and a primadonna.

No new Barbers recently. Maybe next month.

Paesan
    20. Options
      Vern - Like that 00 half a lot.

Mike - Always hate to part with tough BQ's, but really happy to be sending em to a great home.

As to the point made in the past few days about Heritage being a great source for Barber collectors across the spectrum, I couldn't agree more. I just wish their pictures were a little better……but I digress as I know that has been discussed here before.

21. Options
      Heritage = caveat emptor ... especially buying "blind" .. And buying solely from their images vs. in hand viewing or someone you know and trust viewing them is buying blind. Roll of the dice. Some of my biggest losses came from doing just that ..

Here is tThe 1893-S Half graded PCGS XF45 I quoted several pages back was really a VF30 and sold for VF money when I finally resold it after trying for a long time to get as much back as I could. Net loss: >$700 - money pit

No .. I am not selling off my quarters .. I just don't call it a "set" is that is not my purpose. It is a hoard image
      imageimage
    22. Options
      I received another NewP today from our good friend at PonyExpress. Might I add that dealing with Mr.Glenn was a very pleasant experience. He's very professional and above everything he's a super fair dealer who seems to go out of his way for collectors. so here she is PCGS 1900-S AU55
      btw excuse my photography. Hopefully ill have someone shoot my set at Baltimore and then no more crappie mediocrity from my phone..

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
    23. Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm craving a nicely toned 95-S or 05-S quarter lol >>

You and me both ... two more of the missing dates in the newer set.

Edit: I knocked off a date I have been searching for this afternoon.
      EX: TinCup collection. Quarter: 1906-O PCGS 55. Images to follow.
      Thx, JT.

ReEdit: Seems our friend, JT, had a few other Quarters that I thought would
      be nice upgrades... I'm telling you, this is an obsession.... and I picked up a
      couple more coins: 1906-D in 58; 1908-D in 55 and a 1916-D in an OGH in 58.
      Not an upgrade, but, one heck of a tough date, a 1909-S in XF 45 ( recently, I
      picked up a MS 64 ) but, when was the last time you saw another XF/ AU
      example of this date ?? Again, images to follow. >>

Really looking forward to their receipt !

EDIT : Nice 1900-S Ty 3 Mark. I'm very familiar with it. Congrats !
      I know Glenn is a very collector oriented dealer. One of the best.

Mike Hayes
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    24. Options
      shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Glenn was also a big help to me, selling me what I needed, screening some junk, getting my older raw stuff slabbed. Very fair with sales and trades. A+ good guy!!
      ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file