Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Glad I set off a spark

You can count if you like, but that wasn't the intent of my posting.
    I was merely tryibg to analyze and compare "absolute rarity" versus "condition rarity".

I believe the half-dollar is much more available in the grades. 40-53-55... but the quarter to be more available from choice AU to MS

Thus, I believe the overall absolute rarity to go with the half-dollar as it is much more scarce in higher grade

And more importantly I was stating there is not enough data available to make an informed conclusion in the year 2014
    5 to 10 years from now after slabbing the lower grade pieces has matured I believe the numbers will mean more. Now, that said, stabbing MS pieces has been "en vogue" for decades so I believe coins graded choice AU to MS are much more reliable whereas XF/AU coins not as much
    And of course , the latter this is just my opinion

Coinfacts shows auction results: nine (9) MS 09-0 quarters have auctioned since 2011 (two of which were Unc details)
    Coinfacts shows four half dollars in the same time frame - mostly superb gems - The Stephen Duckor coin was one of these coins (one 64, two 65. One 66). Only one in grades on 60-63 sold since 2009
    imageimage
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be very interested to see all the coins in that picture myself. Only time will tell.

Mike - Hope your "wall" ends in Atlanta next week.

Scott - Great analysis of two very tough dates. It will be interesting to see how your predictions pan out 5 years from now.

Craig - Love those 09-O's in MS.

Pics for tonight, still my favorite AU 09-O qtr, from the Iowa collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Didn't know that another 09-O qtr in 58 had been graded by our hosts. Now 3. Wonder what that new one looks like.

Here's the only one I've seen in hand, from Paesan's stash (my pics don't do it justice):

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of new holders in Paesan's friends collection. Would love to see what some of you quarter guys have missed. Just by coloration, it looks like quite a bit of ~VF/XF material. Either way, I would be very interested to see closeups.

Scott, I admire your passion. Those two dates bring quite a premium in auction in AU or MS when they are nice. But I am one of those in the devils advocate camps that say we haven't seen a lot of them yet. I feel the unpopular appeal of Barber coins have kept a few examples back. There are numerous dealers out there that don't even pay attention to the internet. I am going to a show tomorrow that I bet a good bit of the old crew don't even care. And I know one of them deals in nice classic coins. And if that happens in my remote part of the earth, it happens many more places. Scarce coins will surface in time if they are available in time. If they don't, it will only drive the price higher.

With all that said, I have no opinion which is scarcer or rare. I couldn't afford either of those coins in AU so it's fun just to commentate.

I hope my post surpassed your quota for quality substance. image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

imageimage >>

MessyDesk's Images above.

Same coin - and these are the images I chased for years - searching for this coin - { photoshopped - now that I know the coin }

imageimageow resided

My head is swimming with all the 09-O's about to be shown - so - I am editing this post to show
    which 1909-O I eventually bought - it now resides in the Labelman87 Collection.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Ok, now that I've got that out of my system - and I wish I had kept the coin - as now I can't find any AU I would like to include in the newer set.

On the bright side - I thought I'd familiarize myself with Glenn's inventory and I stumbled across this for my Dime set - which I will be picking up
    at the ANA next week....

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    bunch of NGC certified coins on ebay that end today, can't get myself to bid on them though because they all look similar... like they were cleaned and retoned, maybe placed in an album for 10 years then submitted for certification... about half outright say 'cleaned' on the label while the others made it through without 'cleaned' but I think I'll pass on all of them... I have an 1899-S PCGS AU-55 that was likely dipped (because it's blast white, it otherwise looks nice) and I don't like that, but I still like it more then almost all the ones I'm seeing on the bay now in these NGC holders. They look worse when viewed on the NGC website.
  • Options
    Justin - Good points.

Mike - Really nice 06-O dime. Congrats.

Stockwiz - I think you hit the nail on the head on that group of NGC qtrs on ebay, although the retoning may have been done quicker than putting the coins in an album and waiting several years.

Pics for tonight, more 09-O qtrs, 55, 61 (undergraded IMO), and 64. The 61 is from Paesan's stash.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    And one more 09-O from Paesan's Stash while I'm at it. PC45, with wear more like a 50-53. I guess they couldn't handle that it wasn't dipped white.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for tonight, how about an 09-O half from Scott's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    A newp, PC58, I wish all my AU's had this look.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern, I agree. They don't get much better. Thanks for all the coin posts on the previous page.

Scott, That 09-O half also has a great XF look.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    A perfect 1902 quarter Vern!

Scott, love that 09-O half. If I was collecting barber halves I'd offer you goofy huge stupid crazy money for it.

Doug
  • Options
    Paesan & Doug - Thanks for the compliments on the 1902. Also, I certainly agree about the beauty of Scott's 09-O half.

Pics for this AM, a 96-O half I owned for a year or two, before it made its way back to NC, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Vern-I like the 02 as well and the 96-O half is avery nice coin with beautiful original skin( as are all of your coins)..

Scott-that 09-O half is a sweet original example as well. I have seen a few different but they were either poorly struck or dipped out or cleaned and sometimes retoned.

Here is a few pics of the 92 I got a while back. I showed it 2weeks ago but I used different lighting. this is with my phone and a Paper towel ro diffuse the light so it's still a little darker than the pics suggest. Lots of Luster. imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark - What do you mean, you used a paper towel? To filter out light?

Pics for this AM, from the Iowa collection, PC58:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>Mark - What do you mean, you used a paper towel? To filter out light?

Yea. I dnt have equipment so I used it to take the glare off.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Here is my newest O mint member of my Quarter set. IMHO it's nicer than the few higher grade examples I have encountered at auction. Thanks to the seller of this beautiful coin. I know it was hard to let it go Lol. What do you guys think of its originality and strike? Al opinions welcome.1905-O XF-40 PCGSimageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    I suppose I should refrain from comment Mark image

Vern - That 1896-O Half is absolutely perfect .. What a beautiful coin.
    Vern/Doug - Words do no justice for the quality that 1908-O Quarter exudes so I will leave it at that! WoW .. Makes me want to insert my 1908-O Quarter into a vending machine

Below are 2 recent acquisitions from 2 different CU Forum members. When I opine on the skin of a coin being wholesome and attractive, these examples are textbook in my eyes .. .As much as GTG threads make my skin crawl (a lesson in futility wherein the guesses usually are within a 30 point range and there is always someone playing devil's advocate or "smartest guy in the room", going out on the thin limb opining why it should or should not be details graded) ... What is and what should never be .... Guess away if thou must

imageimage

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott-No need to refrain you are the only other besides Vern as far as I know to See it in hand. I am stoked about the acquisition as you know. That is a nice 07-D it looks very wholesome to me.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Mark - Very nice looking 05o. I like it a lot. I love a nice XF40 Barber quarter image

Scott - Both look nice and original, and I like the '11 in particular. For whatever ever reason a nice AU 1911 P continues to elude me. Nice looking coins as usual.

Vern - Ive really enjoyed the coins you've posted recently. Thanks as always!

Hope those that are at ANA are having a good weekend. Im looking forward to Baltimore in a month!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Jt- Thanks for the kind words. It's the lowest grade quarter i own but honestly is my favorite. If I could just find more XF-40 45 semi-keys to match it I would be happy with them

Scott- i like the 11 a whole lot as well. I didn't see it the 1st time for some reason. I guess my phone has bad signal.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Mark,

Your 05-O quarter is a beauty! Perfect originality and probably an average strike for a 05-O.

Doug
  • Options
    Mark - Really nice 05-O qtr, tough coin.

Scott - Can't GTG, since I've had both coins in hand in the past, but like them both.

Spent yesterday (Friday) at show in Atlanta. Didn't pick up any barber newps, but did add a 33-S Walker and 1831 dime.
    Highlight of show was chit chatting with many barber friends (MFH, Glenn H, and Darrell K, who are regulars here), and meeting Craig (labelman)
    and Cary (barber fanatic) for the first time. Was a lot of fun.

Also, saw the nicest 01-S qtr I've ever had the privilege to hold in my hand (PC65).
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Congrats Vern - pix would be nice, although in hand if the chance comes would be much better

Regarding my previous post, let me first apologize for saying GTG make my skin crawl- that is hyperbole for effect, but in poor taste. I do believe it's an exercise in futility; much like my photography is.
    JT- if you could see both coins, 07-D and 1911 in hand you would likely find the 07-D more appealing. Although the 1911 is very appealing, the 07-D is superb. The "lines" on the neck are very faint. The lens really magnifies them... Toning pattern probably remnants of a partial fingerprint but are not distracting whatsoever. The skin is so thick. Creamy full virgin luster. Sooooo nice.

The 07-D is graded 62/CAC rattler
    The 1911 is 55. Crack and resubmit it's a 58 50% of the time

When you look at the toning on the 07-D, it is so apparent it is primary toning not secondary.. Not from an album not from being washed leftover residue gracefully aged subtle and baked into the core of the coin. A wonderful piece that could be used in a tutorial for defining truly original natural aged Toning. Only experience will teach this look.

While the skin on the 1911 is technically just as nice.. The fact that it's a much more common date and is a lower grade make the 1907-D that much more desirable

To everyone returning from the ANA I hope you had a fun enjoyable successful show
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott- i agree with your analysis on those 2 coins. the 07-D is a sweet coin and being in a Rattler makes me like it that much more.. I can't find any Barber Quarters in a Rattler and its not from lack of trying I've been trying for about 2 months.. Congrats.

Vern-sounds like your ANA visit was pretty kewl. That 01-S must have been amazing..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Here is a fun game.
    Show pix and/or tell a short story using 50 words describing the most over graded coin you own or have owned. Describe the story, show pix if you got them. Why do you feel it's over graded? Why did you buy it or why do you own it? How about under graded? Same story...

I once owned an 1893-S half dollar in a PCGS XF 45 holder that was at best a VF30. The coin was purchased off heritage in April 2011 for $1610 ($1400+BP, 15% then). I had previously owned 2 other 93-S halves in XF or AU and had been too anxious buying this one too quickly .. By far the biggest disappointment I ever endured.. 6 months later Cary G sold me his 58 and I sold my "XF45" to AMWLDCOIN ... (He bought several 93-S halves from me).

This was a major installment to my tuition bill .. I was just getting into the registry thing .. Sole reason for the purchase ... Only a $700 mistake image

Under graded? Not sure I have an exciting enough story to offer... Which is clearly a bad thing since that's the definition of cherrying image

I'm sure I have a few probably going back to Morgan dollars or something else nothing all that exciting I can think of right now

Let's hear your stories

Edit: meant to remove 50 word clause when initially posted.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'll play Scotts game as soon as I can get some good pics of the Quarters I just recieved today. Also I picked up this 99-S Dime PC-45 OGH. I love these old holders.imageimageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Scott - I like your game idea. I'll come up with something in the next few days.

Mark - Pics of your dime didn't show too well on my laptop. Like the date and the OGH.

Pics for this AM, from barber fanatic a few years back. (Cary, I'll try to figure it out later this week).

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Another Cary coin, while I'm at it.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- sry bout the blurred images. I haven't recieved the coin yet and those are the seller's pics. I need to get 9 coins imaged. I just never have time to get it done or sent off.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>I'll play Scotts game as soon as I can get some good pics of the Quarters I just recieved today. Also I picked up this 99-S Dime PC-45 OGH. I love these old holders.

image >>

Mark, that's a nice XF 45 - I traded my duplicate 99-S to another collector -
    and for a few seconds, I thought that coin might have been my old one. It
    turns out it wasn't.

Congratulations - and keep up the good work.

Looking forward to your other newp images.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    My three days in Atlanta at the ANA were packed with looking at Barber coins & visiting with Barber friends,
    Non-Dealers: { Craig Timony, Vern Seeby, & Cary Gammalo, }
    Dealers: {Glenn Holsonbake, Jim Bush, Darrell Kreiss, & David Kahn}

Thursday evening, Craig and I went to the auction - to see how my Die Caps were going to perform.
    I was also there to protect the more popular of the two - the 1895-O Dime - in MS 64, which I had to do
    and that privledge cost me the sunny side of three K. At least I saved one - and would have backed off
    if the coin had hit my goal of 18-20K. I certainly didn't want to sell it at 16K. So, having used up my cut
    bid early on in the bidding process, I had to increase the bid a whole increment of one thousand. The Dime
    closed at 17K plus the vig, or close to 20K.

Having saved the Dime, I knew I couldn't save the Brockage Quarter - although I bid I could not become
    aggressive as I couldn't chance owning both of my coins back at 17.5% commission. I let the Quarter fly
    at 13K. Which was a 7K loss. Craig and I were both stunned, because the most inane of common high grade
    Jeff nickels hit astounding heights.

Craig and I left the auction room and headed to the bar at the Renaissance where I was staying next to the
    convention center, were we had a couple of "stiff ones" - we had a great conversation and he left before he
    was tempted into having another. I only had to find the elevator - so - I had another, courtesy of Craig. { Thank you, BTW }

Friday evening, Darrell Kriess and his wife, Olga - as well as Glenn, Michael V., Cary and myself went out to
    another restaurant in the convention center. It was great seeing Cary after so long, he's since become a Dad
    since I saw him last.

It was a fast three days - I worked at Glenn's table along side Michael Valente - and as usual, I stayed at the table
    while Glenn was busy buying and Michael was off selling. The morning traffic at set up time on Thursday was the
    busiest part of the day. I had a few sales and many other dealers were mulling over items and making notes.

While there, I picked up the 1906-O Dime in PC 64 I posted above as well as the 1909-S Quarter in PC 64, both from Glenn.

My only show purchase was the 1914 Quarter I mentioned in the above post. No images yet, as I need to send in a bunch of
    stuff to CAC and will hand deliver them to MessyDesk for imaging at the Chicago ANA in August.

On line, I picked up a duplicate 1892 Phila Half Dollar from Quality Rare Coins in California on line. He knows Glenn
    and I got it at a fair enough price. I'll post the composite image below.

Friday proved to be just a dealer to dealer show - I had a few Early Bird customers - but the traffic was slow.
    Saturday morning started off slow but by Noon, it was very busy. The Saddle Ridge Gold Hoard brought the
    retail clients in in droves. There was also a line 100 deep to see the appraisers from ANA for their " Free Appraisal"

An old College friend had stopped by to visit with me as he lives near Atlanta - and he remarked how crazy it
    was that people would stand in line for what would probably be hours to get an appraisal - when the show was
    filled with knowlegable coin dealers.

The show slowing died down and the non collectors started showing up just to see what the fuss was all about.
    With so few flights leaving in the early evening, I grabbed a 7:25 PM flight out to Ft Myers.

Ok... here's the newest 1892 Phila issue Half in my set - take my word for this, I could have bought an AU 58 for less !

EDIT:

I completely forgot to mention, I completed my childhood Lincoln Cent collection -
    Craig had a contemporary counterfeit 1909-S VDB in AU 58 with him that he's
    owned for over 40 years - and I now will fill that gaping hole with a remarkable
    fake. I don't care - I wasn't going to spend upwards of a $1000 to fill a hole in a book
    that has a total value of a few hundred dollars at best ! Especially a book I never look at
    anymore.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike-Thanks for the kind words. I aactually snatched thus coin for a really great price within seconds of it being listed. I like it but the pics suck. I am sending the quarters to PC for crossover before I post them. On the other hand I actually would like yalls opinion before I do so because it's my 1st shot and I want the best chance I can get.I will have some phone pics later
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mike- Sounds like you had a very fun week in ATL. That 92 Half is absolutely beautiful. I was pulling for your 2 die caps at Heritage. May e better luck with the 95-O next time.

Ok here's a quick little peak at the NewP'S please be very honest and if need to be harsh then please dnt hesitate. I want Honest opinions. I wnt post all at 1nce but here is 1 that I obtained. Again pics are from my phone but I feel as if the pics are as close to in hand as I can give without sending them on a trip to each 1 of you guys.

#1) 1903-S this coin has a nice strike and the luster is watery especially on the reverse. I dnt k ow what substance is in front of Liberties face. Any ideas?
    imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Mark,

I have no idea what the substance is in front of Liberty's face. I see a masked disturbance
    and I'd have been more cautious about pulling the trigger. But that's spilt milk now.

You're buying to flip the coin, I assume. Let her fly out the door and don't worry about it.
    Either put it up on eBay or Great Collections - but to ask questions here and potentially get
    a negative answer [ especially if you are unsure about a coin ] is only inviting trouble on the BST.

Over all, its not a bad coin. I think you'll do okay with it on resale. Not a bad picture for an iPhone;
    its a lot nicer than I can do....image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Good report to hear about the action (or lack thereof) at the Atlanta show.
    Really like your method for completing the Lincoln collection. SVDB's are way overpriced.
    And congrats on the '92 half, very attractive.

Mark - I don't see any substance on the portrait of your 03-S, maybe it's just the screen on my laptop.
    From what I can tell, it's an ok coin, not too wild about the reverse rim nick.

Pics for tonight, more old pics from Cary:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern.... I always said if I buy an SVDB, I would stop collecting...
    so technically, I still have not bought one, so I'm good to go !!

Its a very well done fake - seems as though the die chip in the
    upper loop of the S is missing - but it must have been an early
    S minted coin - as its the same shape and size of the S in the SVDB's.
    The VDB on the reverse is genuine, the stylized B is the dead give away.

Loved seeing my old 1901-S and 1905-O that I sold Cary at a FUN show
    a few years back. They came from one of my first circulated sets while I
    was still working on my AU 58 - MS 66 set.

They are both nice coins and now, I wish I had the 05-O back - that was
    one of the nicest ones I ever had.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike-I don't intend to sell this quarter. if i was then I wouldn't have asked opinions. I want opinions because if it's not a solid coin I will send it back..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    This is the second Coin that I bought.I wanted opinions to see if you guys thought they were worth crossing or are they good for their grades the 03-S isa 55 the next is my favorite of the 4.1902-O AU-58
    imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Cary/MFH- That is a gorgeous 05-o and the 01-s isn't bad either. I can certainly see we there is some regret there with that 05-o
    Scott- always great to hear your thoughts.
    Amwldcoin- Was hoping to make to Atlanta last week, but personal business did not make it possible. I hope that the Barber display at the ANA will be fortunate to have some of your halves in it and if it doesn't have yours someones.
  • Options
    We should get together to decide which show we'll have a group display of Barbers. I'm leaning for Chicago ANA.
    I'll notify John Frost to see how much display space we have - it's usually just two cases.
    If we have an 8 foot table - or better yet, a corner table - we could get up to six cases.

I'll volunteer to display some of my coins - and depending on who wants to display their
    coins and the quantity of coins being displayed - so, let's start off with who will be displaying
    coins. Quote and place your names on the list. The more the merrier. I only put spaces for
    ten names, but anyone and everyone who wants to participate is welcome to.

1) Mike Hayes ( An assortment of MS & PR V Nickels, MS & PR Dimes, MS Quarters, MS Halves.
    .....I don't have too many MS Halves any longer. Just a handful of MS Quarters as well.,

2) Vern Seeby ( An assortment of Key Date - emphasis on Quarters ) One Day Exhibit .

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Etc...

Let's see if we can get the ball rolling. Please sign up your coins and also volunteer for an hour of manning the booth.
    I'll report back here with John Frost's take on all of this.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Mark - I like the 03s, and IMHO that is a very tough date in nice 55 or 58. Tough to tell from your pics, but I think you did OK. The 02o looks to have been cleaned and then retoned, but I am not totally opposed to this look and have a few similar in my collection. Also, FWIW, you probably don't want to be dropping hundreds of dollars on eBay for coins that you aren't 99.9999% are "solid" before you pull the trigger. Not a sermon, just a thought based on personal experience & prior mistakes that I have made (and some I continue to make image.

Vern - I smile just a little bit each and every time you post a beautiful original RAW Barber coin. Great pics and awesome coins.

Mike - Great writeup about your ANA experience. Thanks for a really fun read. Sorry that your die caps didn't do better, but I know you've been in the game long enough to have been on the winning end of stories like that your fair share of times image I have enjoyed viewing your recent newps both here and in your Registry thread.

Scott - Going back to your idea from a few days ago…………In short, my bad purchases of overgraded coins so far outnumber my good purchases, it would be a disservice to the Numismatic World as a whole for me to crow about anything "smart" Ive done in coins. My only smart move was collecting a TON of G/VG/F Barber material as a kid, and hanging on for 20+ years until my mid 30's. That was more just dumb luck and being the grandson of an antique shop owner though image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    JT- Thanks and the coins dnt have any hairlines but yes probably has been lightly cleaned. The luster is actually plentiful. I dnt have the best pics.. and if it were not for the 14 day return o would not have even bothered.also I dnt have much choice as to where I find tougher quarters. The 98-O was very nice you sold last night. I hope you did well with it.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Mark,

I think the 02-O is very nice as well. I see no issues with it.
    I apologize if I assumed incorrectly and that you were selling
    these newps.

By now, especially with the coins in your possession, you're able
    to tell if there is anything amiss with the 1903-S. As I said, it looks
    like a nice coin, too.

Both coins look to be AU 55, am I correct ?

Congrats again on two nice additions.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike-You should know by now that I dnt get offended by stuff like that my friend. The 02-O is 58 NGC and the 03-S is 55 NGC. Here is the last of the tougher coins I think it's undergraded. GtG on this one.imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent look on the halves from the Cary collection.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry...Sorry you were not able to make it! No plans to display my coins yet.

Mike...enjoyed your synopsis of the ANA show. I still think you should have let the dime go and kept the quarter! Unless something major happens we won't be at the ANA show in Chicago...just too damn far and we don't fly!

Mark...from your pictures your quarters look very acceptable to me!

Vern! You have quite the library of Barber Photos! Cary definately has the same eye and tastes as I do in the look category....we do separate when ya hit AU+ though!
  • Options
    Mark - From the pics, IMO, the 02-O is a stretch to be a 58, and I'll guess the 02-S is graded a 53 (since you said it was probably undergraded).

Mike - Put me down for a one day display of 20 barber keys, mostly qtrs. Should be fun.

Darrell - It's good to accumulate the pics, when one can't have all the coins (like you do). For tonight, here's my 97-O tease, PC40:

Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>We should get together to decide which show we'll have a group display of Barbers. I'm leaning for Chicago ANA.
    I'll notify John Frost to see how much display space we have - it's usually just two cases.
    If we have an 8 foot table - or better yet, a corner table - we could get up to six cases.

I'll volunteer to display some of my coins - and depending on who wants to display their
    coins and the quantity of coins being displayed - so, let's start off with who will be displaying
    coins. Quote and place your names on the list. The more the merrier. I only put spaces for
    ten names, but anyone and everyone who wants to participate is welcome to.

1) Mike Hayes ( An assortment of MS & PR V Nickels, MS & PR Dimes, MS Quarters, MS Halves.
    .....I don't have too many MS Halves any longer. Just a handful of MS Quarters as well.,)

2) Vern Seeby ( A "Box of Twenty" Key Date Barbers, Mostly Quarters ) One Day Exhibit .

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

Etc...

Let's see if we can get the ball rolling. Please sign up your coins and also volunteer for an hour of manning the booth.
    I'll report back here with John Frost's take on all of this. >>

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file