Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the YN's who took my course in Barbers this Summer - notified me that there was an upgrade
    for my Dime set on line - I tripped over myself to order it - via my iPhone no less. I know only too well
    exactly how rare this date is - I'm beyond happy about this. JMW and I have looked for ages and it was
    Glenn who located a nice one for Joe - only took two + years !!
    >>

You're welcome image

I try to point out coins from your birth-year whenever I find them image
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mike I saw the 1898 die cap brokkage??(spelling) quarter on heritage yesterday. Your coin right?
    .. Regardless .. That coins a beast ..!! That might be the sickest coin I've seen.. Good luck
    imageimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Mike I saw the 1898 die cap brokkage??(spelling) quarter on heritage yesterday. Your coin right?
    .. Regardless .. That coins a beast ..!! That might be the sickest coin I've seen.. Good luck >>

Scott - I've been posting it just about every day - you're right - it is a beast -

Ooopppsss... I picked the Dime, not the Quarter.... They are both beasts. Really great coins.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>One of the YN's who took my course in Barbers this Summer - notified me that there was an upgrade
    for my Dime set on line - I tripped over myself to order it - via my iPhone no less. I know only too well
    exactly how rare this date is - I'm beyond happy about this. JMW and I have looked for ages and it was
    Glenn who located a nice one for Joe - only took two + years !!
    >>

You're welcome image

I try to point out coins from your birth-year whenever I find them image >>

Don't you have an Organic Chemistry Exam to study for ? { Son ? }

I can't believe this - oh, yes, I really can ...The seller sold the coin at the Long Beach Show earlier.
    I knew it was too good to be true. Darn it !!

Thanks anyway, Mike, you were a great help...

Oh.... I was about to post a picture of you - but thought better of it in case you don't want your image on line.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Reeded Edge halves by die variety
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous quarters Halfcollector! Love the look on all three……and the 06o and the 08s are terrific coins!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Half collector - love em all too but .. my favorite is that 92-S.. that is pure... Virgin skin... Super looking coin
    imageimage
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins halfcollecter! One problem, they aren't half dollars! image

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Some great looking quarters posted lately by all, keep it up.

Mike, your two barber error coins are incredible!

Doug
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!! Lots of great posts since I last was here.

Mike - That '98 dime of Walt's does have a neat rev die crack.

Catbert - Thanks for the positive comments on the my Raymond boards (and on the coins therein). I really like being able to see the whole collection in only two pages. And the old boards go well with an older series. Over the past few years, I've joined you as a type collector, but there's still a lot to be said about completing a series. I think it's engrained in collectors to "fill holes".

Mark - I think Doug is right. Most barber quarters are more available in MS, than the higher circ grades, but for some dates there are large differences in availability in VF or AU. The 07-S and 09-O are good examples.

Mike - Great idea on members showing theiir collections at the BCCS table at the ANA this summer. Count me in.

JT - I pretty much agree with you on the toughest dates after the big 6. I'd have to include the 08-S in there somewhere.

Stockwiz - Welcome to the party.

Scott - Excellent, well-thought out posts. You should do an article for the BCCS journal. It would be well received.

Craig & Mike - 96-O and 06-O's are beauties.

Halfcollector - Really nice, tough qtrs, thanks for posting.

I've run out of gas.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Vern- forgetting something?? Daily Fix perhapsimage the Barber of the morning always makes my early work morning better
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark - Here you are, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- mucj appreciated. I can never see enough barbers in a day. Nice original skin on that one
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    I'm on a serious mission to find this 1914-D.. does anyone have a clue who own it now?
    The Portal
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm on a serious mission to find this 1914-D.. does anyone have a clue who own it now?
    The Portal >>

I had bid on that, but wasn't close. Its a nice piece.
  • Options
    Big time premium for that toning Mark eh? Album toned for sure.. My experience dictates often times that type of toning develops after a coin has been wiped.
    I would study that Coin carefully prior to paying 63 money as that is what it sold for
    It may in fact be very nice and wholesome without wiping but I would not buy it if it does have them
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott- i agree 100%. But wow that toning is amazing to me.. I'm a sucker for Album toning for sure. And I hope in 30 years my album I am building creates some beautiful piece's that the next owner will enjoy.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark - I like it.

Apologies in advance if Ive posted this coin before, but Im pretty sure I haven't……..Here's a somewhat newer addition to my collection that I couldn't resist picking up the minute I saw it a few months ago. Tougher date. Anyone care to guess the grade? And while we're at it, anyone care to guess the super bowl score? Im saying Seattle 24 Denver 23. Wouldn't mind seeing Manning win another one, though.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    nice wholesome 1903-S Quarter JT .. I call that a VF35 but I am guessing PCGS called it a 40
    imageimage
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    John, nice 03-S, I'd grade it XF40 but wouldn't be surprised if PCGS gave it a 45.

Doug
  • Options

JT - Nice 03-S - warm wholesome look to it.

Half Collector - I agree with the comments before me - beautiful Quarters !!

Vern - The raw set must have been a lot of fun to assemble. From what I can see
    .....all the coins are nicely matched. Thanks for bringing them out for viewing one
    at a time.

I have a few newps coming - but will wait until they are in hand.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. The 03s above is in a PC40 holder (with a green sticker).

Like Mike, I have some newps on the way that I am extremely excited about as well…..looking forward to sharing when they arrive in VA.

• Options
    David Kahn has a 97-O in PC35 CAC if anyone is looking. It would be gone by now, but it just doesn't have the color I'm looking for.
  • Options

<< <i>David Kahn has a 97-O in PC35 CAC if anyone is looking. It would be gone by now, but it just doesn't have the color I'm looking for. >>

I saw that Justin .. Looks ok ... Any 97-O in that kind of shape is a NICE find .. But I still think it looks lightly cleaned to me. .. $150 less than I paid for my XF40 back in 2010 .. was an ANACS 40 that eventually crossed at grade in 12/2012. I love that date - amongst my favorites. Another member, recently scored the nicest XF 1897-O I have ever seen (based on the images and other's opinions) .. Looks superb and... it's the nice grade - 45 .. Gorgeous coin for sure - easily the nicest looking VF to AU (based on picture viewing) 1897-O Half Dollar I have seen.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mark - Not me on the 14-D.

JT - Nice looking 03-S. Tough coin.

Mike - Putting together the raw set of qtrs definitely rekindled my collecting passion.

Justin - Don't care for that 97-O DK has. Do like his 96-O in AU50 a lot.

Scott - I like this 97-O in 45 as well. From Paesan's stash.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Love the look of that half, Vern. The Stash is chock full or beauties like that…..

I beat the mailman home by about 3 minutes today. Just in time to receive a small haul of quarters that I couldn't be more excited about. Ill probably post them one by one in the coming days as I don't want to overwhelm the thread with too many pics at once. Ill start with this one as it is my favorite of the group. I love the color, the strike, the luster, and just about everything else there is to like about a coin. This coin became one of my favorites as soon as I opened the package. PC/CAC 58.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally got around to getting the TruView images posted for the NGC Crossovers;

The 1899-O 10C RPM FS-501 (FS-009.8) lost a couple of points crossing over (oh well), but gained the O/O RPM and it is at the Top Grade listed at PCGS (MS60);

My 1892-O 25C Clased Dies FS-901 is on it's way back (ETA-tomorrow) and it should be in the new scratch-resistant holder (all by itself on the PCGS CoinFacts page);

The 1892-P 50C TDR FS-801 (FS-007.8) did indeed gain a step at AU55 (versus NGC AU53);

Overall, not a bad set of Barbers in my PCGS 7070 collection.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JT-Very nice 98-O I have yet to find one that I liked but yours is a saweet piece. I ended up with a few goodies as well.

Hate to wait- congrats on your crossovers. Nice coins indeed

Here is 1 of my 2 Newp. GtG Anyone?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    JT, I was this (") close (") to bidding on that 98-O. But decided I didn't need yet another duplicate
    of this date. That sure is a pretty 98-O ! Congratulations. You've already received your winnings ?
    I paid within a few minutes of winning my lots and have yet to receive them... Maybe today, I hope.

I am waiting to hear who bought the "other coin" I was (") This Close (") on ... The 1896-O. A little
    bird told me someone from my home state was about to bid. So, I stayed away, only because I have
    done enough damage for awhile. I have two Halves and two Quarters and a Dime about to arrive.
    The Halves are upgrades, the Quarters are newps for the set and the Dime is just a very special coin,
    with amazing Reverse toning ( I plan of having the coin reversed in its holder so, the Reverse shows
    on the front.) I think it'll make for an interesting display of my Dimes at the ANA this Summer.

Again, I'll post images as I receive the coins.

OhIH82wait, those are very attractive coins. Thanks for posting them !! I'd love to see the clashed die
    Quarter and the TDR Half up close.

Vern, the 97-O Half in 45 is a great looking coin and I am on the hunt for its twin. The closest I have
    come to seeing one almost as nice is the one that Walt had in his set that was eventually bought by
    the Dealer of NW Georgia in Villa Rica. Well, knowing that mountains would have to be moved
    to jar that coin out of its surroundings, I'll have to be content with my 35. For the time being at least.

Edit: Mark Brown: 1897 Phila Dime - my wager is AU 53. It's got great details, but lacks the luster of a 55.

Hope everyone is staying nice and warm up North. It's been in the mid 80's here all week while my family
    is visiting. It hit an all time high record yesterday, 87. For February, that's hot !!

Happy hunting !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    H82W8 - Very nice coins and nice true views.

Mark - I really like the look of that dime. Ill guess 55.

Mike - Got my GC winnings today. I was extremely happy/impressed with how quickly they arrived (and more importantly with the coins themselves). I did not bid on the 96o as another one is on its way to me from up north. My package included the 98o posted above as well as an 03o in PC/CAC 58 and an 11s in PC 58. I was certainly sweating things out during the Super Bowl, but it had nothing to do with the game! image

• Options
    MFH- your not alone my GC winnings haven't arrived yet either. Maybe tomorrow hopefully. I hate waiting on Newp's. I not bid on 3 quarters and fell asleep on the 03p and 11p 58 which I was very disappointed about.. I have another pretty O-Mint to secure in a few days anyway. I'm very excited about it.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Vern, the 97-O Half in 45 is a great looking coin and I am on the hunt for its twin. The closest I have
    come to seeing one almost as nice is the one that Walt had in his set that was eventually bought by
    the Dealer of NW Georgia in Villa Rica. Well, knowing that mountains would have to be moved
    to jar that coin out of its surroundings, I'll have to be content with my 35. For the time being at least. >>

Mike! You are correct! Unless I find a nicer one it is locked up for a long slumber! I hesitate to post here anymore because it seems I have ruffled a few feathers with my persuit.

Once I receive my latest PCGS submission I will have completed my 12,15,20,25,30,and 35 sets of barber halves in PCGS Plastic! image
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Once I receive my latest PCGS submission I will have completed my 12,15,20,25,30,and 35 sets of barber halves in PCGS Plastic! image >>

6 complete sets?
    One set in each of those grades?
    Dude...image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

<< <i>TextOnce I receive my latest PCGS submission I will have completed my 12,15,20,25,30,and 35 sets of barber halves in PCGS Plastic! >>

image Great job! only 2 more to go right?

Paesan- Great looking 97-o in what seems like a waiting line for a dance with her.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Once I receive my latest PCGS submission I will have completed my 12,15,20,25,30,and 35 sets of barber halves in PCGS Plastic! image >>

6 complete sets?
    One set in each of those grades?
    Dude...image >>

Yes! I lack a total of 9 or 10 40's and 45's from completing those along with my AU registry set for a total of 9 sets! Yes! I am a nut!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>TextOnce I receive my latest PCGS submission I will have completed my 12,15,20,25,30,and 35 sets of barber halves in PCGS Plastic! >>

image Great job! only 2 more to go right?

Paesan- Great looking 97-o in what seems like a waiting line for a dance with her. >>

Thanks Larry! It has been a long...sometimes more than I should have paid venture.

That is a nice 97-O! One of these days I will get my sets pictured. I know my 97-O is nice...Don't remeber how it compares though!
  • Options
    Yes, it's crazy, but having complete sets of Halves from 12 to 58 is unbelievable.
    No wonder I would like to drive up to Northern GA to look at these sets !! In the bank is just fine !!

I landed a Heritage bid - on a simple coin: 1897-P Quarter - PCGS 64. But beautifully toned !
    I'll add it and the other newps once they are all in hand.

Edit: Great Collections delivered my winnings late this afternoon.

All images need to be filtered thru Photobucket anyway.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, it's crazy, but having complete sets of Halves from 12 to 58 is unbelievable.
    No wonder I would like to drive up to Northern GA to look at these sets !! In the bank is just fine !!

I landed a Heritage bid - on a simple coin: 1897-P Quarter - PCGS 64. But beautifully toned !
    I'll add it and the other newps once they are all in hand.

Edit: Great Collections delivered my winnings late this afternoon.

All images need to be filtered thru Photobucket anyway. >>

I'm just doin 1 AU set Mike. If I had a fountain of money then I might do all the AU's! Come on up sometime and take a look! I have a substantially rotated reverse...only one I have seen so far!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just doin 1 AU set Mike. If I had a fountain of money then I might do all the AU's! >>

Actually I could see you doing 63, 64 and 65 sets.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm just doin 1 AU set Mike. If I had a fountain of money then I might do all the AU's! >>

Actually I could see you doing 63, 64 and 65 sets. >>

Did you find my missing winning lottery ticket? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Actually I could see you doing 63, 64 and 65 sets. >>

Did you find my missing winning lottery ticket? image >>

I know that if I did you would be buying the coins.image
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words on the 97-O half, fellas. It actually is a perfect compliment to my 01-O. They look like twins!

Paesan

P.S. It's a rumor.
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    My original top part was edited out accidentally - edit to put back in:

Darrell - congrats on an amazing "almost accomplishment"

Larry - fine additions you have made lately .. where did you find such beautiful coins ?? image

Justin - Good to see you back around

IH8 - Wonderful selections - soft, original look to each of those .. I am too lazy to run the cert .. The 92 TDR looks all of 55+ to me also .. the NGC-53 grade is another one for the "other guys" .. seeing more and more conservative grades (and consistent grades) .. I have been saying this for about a year .. I am in the vast minority image .. I just sold my prized 1892 50c TDR in the FS-801 holder (pop 2 with 8 finer) .. The coin should be sent for recon - I swear it is a 63 or at the very very least a 58+ (plus) .. It is really, really nice:
    imageimage

John - Nice scores from GC .. I would have stayed off the 98-O had I known already having one in 58 and another Unc details... Glad you won ! Nice coin - congrats. I was surprised how high that 11-S ran - 2 people wanted it badly !

Vern - keep em coming

Doug - Your slow, methodical and drive for perfection are gifted qualities that few men possess .. the ability to resist coins you may not see again for 5 years (and not wasting a ton of money on material you may not love) is commendable !!

<< <i>…Many, many men can't see the open road…. >>

Many have I loved .. many times been bitten ....... Many times I've wondered how much there is to know

Love it Lenny !!

Ehh .. how to keep this about coins ... Hmmm ... AH! Here is my 2 cents:
    Sorry fellas .. nothing much coin related here .. Just another Pizan spamming up the coin boards with useless nonsense ... But seriously .. if one appreciates talent, emotion, non-verbal communication and musicians knowing what the other(s) are thinking this defines it .. Masterful, beautiful, thick complex music that blossoms and fulfills the craving of the senses within the brain. The starting and stopping in sync .. The key changes, changes in time and direction of the song ... blending songs together in harmony (ala Pink Floyd); but it is the improv that is most impressive. Mesmerizing

Choosing only 3 links wasn't easy .. there were cuts of these guys playing with Moroccan orchestras, symphonies, by themselves (like the 3:40 "unplugged" abbreviated version played in cut time of Stairway on Japanese Television: oh ok.. what the heck - this version...

Coinage: friends get some silver - get a little gold

How good is this?

From the British show, Denton - late night TV like Letterman in the states

Wow !!!

The drummer, Michael Lee, played with Plant and Page for years throughout the 90s after playing drums for The Cult, Echo and The Bunnymen, and Thin Lizzy until his untimely death in 2008 as a result of an epileptic seizure .. RIP Michael - you will be missed

image < --- Swan Song? image
    imageimage
  • Options
    That 97-O is pretty damn nice, paesan.
  • Options
    Here is the 97p dime. I bought it because it was attractive and I thought it was undergraded just a tad. Maybe one of my Barber Buddies can send it to the Bean Factory for me.image
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>Larry - fine additions you have made lately .. where did you find such beautiful coins ?? >>

Scott- Glad to have added 4 fine halves from your collection. The 92-s pc58, 12-s pc55, 13-d pc55 and 14 pc55 were great additions. I have 5 holes to plug and need a few upgrades to be where I want to be for a while.
  • Options
    Lots of really nice barbers posted lately. Thanks to all for sharing.

Darrell - Your collections are unparalleled. Congratulations. Hope you decide to comment more often, a little ruffle-ing of feathers doesn't hurt every now and then.

Scott - Love the "extras". Man does not live by coin alone.

And here's someting that doesn't happen often enough, a newp into my collection, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- Nice Newp as well. We posted at the same time I guess lol

boy this thread has become quite deadline the last few days. I um guess the weather has everyone hunkered down or shoveling snow.. here's another Newp PC-58 I'll be submitting this one along with the dime hopefully to CACimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark - Congrats on the newp '12.

Pics for tonight, a newp for Scott, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Thought this was very attractive.... its for the MS Date Set..... The AU is for the Quarter collection itself

imageimage

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file