Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark - It's a fun collection to build, I think you'll enjoy the hunt.

Mike - Very nice dimes, that's some really vivid Wayte Raymond toning on the '06.

Pics for tonight, a coin I don't think I've posted before from Scott's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Vern- how long do you think a coin has to be in a coin board or album to start toning that way?
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how long do you think a coin has to be in a coin board or album to start toning that way? >>

It depends on several factors: the "cleanliness" of the coin, the amount of light and heat it's exposed to, the level of humidity, and (as crazy as it sounds) the level of airborne salts. Remember we're talking about a chemical reaction between silver and the sulfur in the cardboard, so higher levels of all of the above will speed the process along.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>how long do you think a coin has to be in a coin board or album to start toning that way? >>

It depends on several factors: the "cleanliness" of the coin, the amount of light and heat it's exposed to, the level of humidity, and (as crazy as it sounds) the level of airborne salts. Remember we're talking about a chemical reaction between silver and the sulfur in the cardboard, so higher levels of all of the above will speed the process along. >>

Excellent points Cary. Most of us know the toning development of my raw Barber Dimes in a Dansco album;
    16 years in a bank vault where the air conditioning was turned off every night and all weekend and in SW Florida,
    where the humidity levels are through the roof from late May to mid November and being less than a mile from
    the Gulf of Mexico. All of these factors turned the coins into beautifully toned coins. This set was eventually sent
    to PCGS and is now the foundation for the Beancounter collection.

My current sets of Barbers are now being subjected to the same environment, so, in ten years or so, be prepared
    for the final sale of Elbesaar's Barbers.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Spoke with Walt earlier today and he is sending me a nice
    upgrade for my 1893-O Quarter. Going from an AU 53 immediately below:

to an AU 58.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It depends on several factors: the "cleanliness" of the coin, the amount of light and heat it's exposed to, the level of humidity, and (as crazy as it sounds) the level of airborne salts. Remember we're talking about a chemical reaction between silver and the sulfur in the cardboard, so higher levels of all of the above will speed the process along. >>

Excellent points Cary. Most of us know the toning development of my raw Barber Dimes in a Dansco album;
    16 years in a bank vault where the air conditioning was turned off every night and all weekend and in SW Florida,
    where the humidity levels are through the roof from late May to mid November and being less than a mile from
    the Gulf of Mexico. All of these factors turned the coins into beautifully toned coins. This set was eventually sent
    to PCGS and is now the foundation for the Beancounter collection.

My current sets of Barbers are now being subjected to the same environment, so, in ten years or so, be prepared
    for the final sale of Elbesaar's Barbers. >>

So...Mike! Can we dub you a coin doctor? image
  • Options

Darrell... Hardly, my friend.

All I do is use a Dansco, a Waite Raymond album
    and/ or an Eagle album, then, leave the coins alone.

In the past, once I bought a raw coin, I'd place it in
    a non PVC flip - and it would most likely go in an Eagle
    Album.

I still have all of my old Whitman Bookshelf albums but
    nothing is in them, as they are more for display at this point.

So, my friend, I am as far from a coin doctor as anyone I know.
    I'm so concerned with ruining a coin's surfaces, I won't even use
    acetone.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Darrell... Hardly, my friend.

Album.

acetone. >>

+1
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    Barber Half....Dalton Gang.....Coffeyville is misspelled

Coin is not mine....Years ago was owned by Tony Terranova.....Not sure where it resides today

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Savoy special- that's a very cool Half..if was really held by 1 of the Daltons Gang..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>Darrell... Hardly, my friend.

Album.

acetone. >>

Mike! I hope you understand I was teasing you! image
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Mike - Sweet dimes as always.

Savoy Special - Very cool coin………have to say that IMO your handle is even cooler though. - "Go pick me out a winner, Bobby."

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

Darrell... You know I always take your messages with a grain of salt,
    but there are some here who do not know our relationship who might
    think I was a coin doctor.

By the way, Mr. Kreis, I think you should grow another beard. I liked
    your old FUN badge. Don't listen to the wife. It looked great on you !

Thx, JT. BTW, I am following one of your auctions, and good luck with them.
    My eyes are on a particularly under graded coin you're selling. Before all of
    our mutual friends start clamoring as to which coin I am speaking of and start
    pestering you by PM as to what coin I am referring to, have no fear, I will
    snipe the death out of this coin. It's a duplicate of what I already have in the set
    but, a nice coin with great eye appeal is worth having in duplicate.

Sorry, Darrell, my Halves are as done as I think they will ever get. I have 4 dates
    I need to upgrade ... and I can wait until the right 45-53 shows up. One of these
    days, I'll need to take a road trip to North Georgia and look at your multiple collections.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mark - On the toning, I agree with Mike and Darrell, it will take many years, how many depends on the environment.

Savoy - Very interesting barber, thanks for posting.

Pics for today, a beauty from the Iowa collection, PC58:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>Darrell... You know I always take your messages with a grain of salt,
    but there are some here who do not know our relationship who might
    think I was a coin doctor.

By the way, Mr. Kreis, I think you should grow another beard. I liked
    your old FUN badge. Don't listen to the wife. It looked great on you ! >>

Yeah there do seem to be some on the forum that can't understand a little fun!

LOLOLOL on the beard! You do realize how old that picture is. While my hair...what little I still have requires no attention...if I grew a beard again I would have to dye every few weeks as it would be mostly white. image

<< <i>Sorry, Darrell, my Halves are as done as I think they will ever get. I have 4 dates
    I need to upgrade ... and I can wait until the right 45-53 shows up. One of these
    days, I'll need to take a road trip to North Georgia and look at your multiple collections. >>

Either I am having a brain fart or I don't know what inspired this comment! You are welcome to look at my collections but nothing is forsale! It would have to be during banking ours as they are entombed in a SDB!
  • Options
    Savoy! I forgot to say that is a very kewl Barber Half....if the provinence could be documented it would breach several collector barriers...alias coin collectors fighting Old West Collectors fighting Gun collectors...you catch my drift!

Vern...I think you are giving me credit for Cary's comment on how long it would take the coins to tone.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...I have 4 dates
    I need to upgrade ... and I can wait until the right 45-53 shows up... >>

I can wait too. image
  • Options
    Fabulous looking coin ! barber boys for the last couple of years I have been assisting in building high level circ sets of BQ's+ BH's. The dupes on coins I have helped him replace are on great collections. some tuff dates might be worth a quick look - yes all the coins are 58's. Stay tuned for the half's some nice pieces will rollout in the next couple of months.
  • Options
    58 Quarters- I'm keyed in on a few of those Heritage Quarters 1 is a 45 and the other is 58
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...I have 4 dates

I can wait too. image >>

I know this coin would work perfectly in my Half Collection - but the owner has it locked away
    and nothing will pry it loose.

imageimage

imageimage

Keep waiting, LogPotato - I have to as well.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>...I have 4 dates

I can wait too. image >>

I know this coin would work perfectly in my Half Collection - but the owner has it locked away
    and nothing will pry it loose.

imageimage

imageimage

Keep waiting, LogPotato - I have to as well. >>

• Options
    ^^^^

These pics directly above, to my eyes, nicely represents my one and only complaint about Heritage. I think HA is great and I have purchased more than a dozen or so coins from them, but I certainly have learned to train myself to recalibrate what I am looking at when it comes to "steel gray" or lightly colored Barber quarters. FWIW I love the look of the coin based on the first set of pics. The HA pics….not so much. Ive never seen the coin in hand, but Id strongly suspect that the coin looks more like the first set.

I myself am far from a "real" coin photographer (although getting better is on my list of things to start putting time into in 2014) so Im not saying "I could do better" or even offering a specific critique of anything particular that they should do from a technical standpoint. Id just think that with HA's place in the market and bottom line margin in their rare coin sector, they'd produce the best pics in the business, but IMHO that is far from the case when it comes to Barber quarters, which is what I am looking at about 90% of the time Im on their site.

That said, if I owned that coin and wanted to sell it, and I didn't know other collectors of the series (i.e. I was an heir or a very lucky storage lot bidder or something), HA would absolutely be where I'd go to sell it, so Im not sure what my real takeaway is supposed to be here.

Anyways, just a random tangent on a lazy and freezing cold night here in VA. I know the topic of HA pics arises from time to time….I just thought Mike's pics presented a case in point.

That 97-O looks great and I know it's a heck of a tough date. Mike's post inspired me to check it out on coin facts and those are some very low pop numbers in XF/AU. Very cool.

(Edited for grammar)

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Yes, Walt ?

Yes, Walt, its your old coin.

No, Walt its not available.

I was in the wings when you sold it ....

one of these days a similar coin will surface.

EDIT: My old 1897-O Half in my better set:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, those aren't the same coins. There are certain marks on the first coin that aren't on the second coin. Not sure if you thought they were or not. That first coin has some hits, but looks far superior IMO.

JKT, I have to agree about heritage pics, but the those set of pics are of different coins.

After buying quite a few coins from their photos, I can say the mostly do a disservice to their consignors at times. And at other times, they make the coin look better. But when your buying coins like an XF/AU 97-O, it's a lot better to have a fellow collector or dealer on the ground to check it out for you. I would hate to be on the later end of the above situation.

Most of the coins I bought from their photographs have been nice, especially the 14-P I bought last year. But some have been less than expected.

• Options
    Justin, you may be right, but I looked very closely at the two sets before I posted and after looking at the coinfacts photos more closely I definitely think they are the same. The obverse rub on the high points all appear to be in the exact same areas, and the hits directly under Liberty's eye seem to be the same as well. It really doesn't matter at all, but I am genuinely curious as to what your (or anyone else who agrees or knows that they are different) indicators are that they are different (besides the ridiculous differences in color)?

Now cue Mike posting that they are indeed different coins image

• Options

<< <i>Justin, you may be right, but I looked very closely at the two sets before I posted and after looking at the coinfacts photos more closely I definitely think they are the same. The obverse rub on the high points all appear to be in the exact same areas, and the hits directly under Liberty's eye seem to be the same as well. It really doesn't matter at all, but I am genuinely curious as to what your (or anyone else who agrees or knows that they are different) indicators are that they are different (besides the ridiculous differences in color)?

Now cue Mike posting that they are indeed different coins image >>

Look at the two hits at the wreath ribbon on the obverse on the first coin and try to find them on the second coin. I couldn't find them. image
  • Options
    Gotcha! Much appreciated!

Now I remember why I cancelled my subscription to Highlights Magazine back in '84. image

• Options

<< <i>Mike, those aren't the same coins. There are certain marks on the first coin that aren't on the second coin. Not sure if you thought they were or not. That first coin has some hits, but looks far superior IMO.

JKT, I have to agree about heritage pics, but the those set of pics are of different coins. >>

Justin: I had these two filed together, now I see they are different coins; now I am wondering
    if I didn't own one of them and was included in one of the half dozen sets I put together. The
    other coin I know belonged to Walt Kennedy, who sold it to a board member.

I have a nice 35 now, and I thought it might upgrade to a 40, but no such luck. So, the hunt goes on.

I also agree about HA's images... On occasion, they are spot on...other times not so good.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Speaking of average pics…..Here is a neat looking dime that I bought raw at a local show a while back. I posted it a while back and a variety of very well presented opinions were given. Submitted it at FUN and got it back today.

Thought this would make for a good GTG. Anyone?

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my auto reply was a 58, so it is probably a 63
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Darrell - Right you are, I meant Cary.

JT - I'll guess 55.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Jt-That's 1 saawwweeeetttt sexy dime Lol..the clashes are very kewl.I'll guess MS-58 or AU-63
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    I decided to submit some of my Barber halves at FUN to our hosts for reconsideration service. I was fortunate enough to obtain a 96-s in 53 from Darrell and I was picking it up at the show. I believe that some of you are familiar with this 96-s. This coin (which I knew just came back from reconsideration service and was not upgraded) and 4 others were submitted. Darrell was good enough to give me his opinion on the others I was submitting and talked me out of doing 2 of the others. He tried to talk me out of the first two listed as well, but I thought I would give both those a shot.
    Coins shipped last night and the results (which are last) were posted:
    1893-o- XF45….XF45+
    1896-o- XF40….no upgrade, but reholdered?
    1896-s- AU53…AU55
    1897-s VF30…VF35
    1905-s- AU50….AU53
    I've never seen a coin reholdered with a new number assigned, but not upgraded.
  • Options

Notehunter, are you the gentleman who is from the same
    neck of the woods as Dr. Peter Shireman ?

If so, then I saw you intently examining Halves at Darrell's
    table and didn't want to interrupt you in the middle of your
    examining the coins you had selected.

I am very pleased for you having gotten the grades you did
    on reconsideration. Very interesting results.

I also had a half dozen submissions myself at FUN, in every tier
    imaginable. I received grades on two submissions.

My 1891 Nickel NGC 64 - Error Coin - 86% Cu, & 14% Ni
    crossed as a MS 64.

My raw ( economy service ) 1899-O Quarter which I purchased
    with the old NGC tag - was sent in with out the NGC tag - but:
    it also got graded as a 53 as well. That made my day.

Another submission in economy I will wait for are three other Barbers
    of different denominations in two different TPG holders. ( 1896 Dime in NGC 55 -
    Which looks like a 58 every day of the week ; 1906-D Quarter in NGC 55 -
    which could just as easily be in a 58 holder as well; and an 1894-O Half in
    ANACS 40 - which should be in a 45 holder - and I could use the bump in
    grade for my Registry set.) Really looking forward to those results.

Lastly is a Secure Plus regrade ( was in an OGH crackled old holder ) and thought
    why not, get a regrade into a premiere holder, and pray for an upgrade. It's an
    1895-O Dime in AU ( 50 now, hoping for a 53 at least ).

I hope my results are as good as your's were !! Congratulations !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Notehunter-Congrats In your reconsideration grades. Especially that 96-S

Mike-nice results on yours as well, might I add I wish you luck on the future submission. I'm willing to bet $50 bucks but that 96 Dime upgrades to 58 and is the most beautiful dime I've seen( just saying) and having held and examined that the1906-D quarter in hand I would say that it would cross to a 58 As well. The 95-O dime would be a huge score if it upgraded. Best of luck to ya...
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mike- Good luck with those submissions. PM sent.
    mrkbrown87- Thanks. I'm pleased that it upgraded as I couldn't understand how it went through once reconsideration and didn't.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike- Good luck with those submissions. PM sent.
    mrkbrown87- Thanks. I'm pleased that it upgraded as I couldn't understand how it went through once reconsideration and didn't. >>

TheNumismaGod's were watching over you at that time my friend.. I remember when Darryl post about not agreeing with their decision to not upgrade..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>I decided to submit some of my Barber halves at FUN to our hosts for reconsideration service. I was fortunate enough to obtain a 96-s in 53 from Darrell and I was picking it up at the show. I believe that some of you are familiar with this 96-s. This coin (which I knew just came back from reconsideration service and was not upgraded) and 4 others were submitted. Darrell was good enough to give me his opinion on the others I was submitting and talked me out of doing 2 of the others. He tried to talk me out of the first two listed as well, but I thought I would give both those a shot.
    Coins shipped last night and the results (which are last) were posted:
    1893-o- XF45….XF45+
    1896-o- XF40….no upgrade, but reholdered?
    1896-s- AU53…AU55
    1897-s VF30…VF35
    1905-s- AU50….AU53
    I've never seen a coin reholdered with a new number assigned, but not upgraded. >>

Larry! I am glad that 96-S resides in the holder it should be now! It will be interesting to se the outcome on the reholdered coin. It could be a typo. If it is it will give you a headache getting it straightened out for your set.
  • Options
    Notehunter - Those are some impressive results and some really tough coins. Congrats on the successful resubmission.

Mike - Good luck on your resubmission, and on your previously stated sniping. image

Finally, for those who guessed the grade on the 00 dime…..it was graded AU-58 by our hosts. I honestly thought it could go 55/58/63/or details when I bought it, but the pretty toning (and low asking price at the small show where I bought it) caught my eye enough to make me want to take a shot with our hosts. Im happy with the 58 grade and although Im not an expert dime grader by any means, I think it's pretty accurate.

• Options

<< <i>Larry! I am glad that 96-S resides in the holder it should be now! It will be interesting to se the outcome on the reholdered coin. It could be a typo. If it is it will give you a headache getting it straightened out for your set. >>

Thanks Darrell. Both numbers are available for the 96-o so until I upgrade it it looks like I'm good. I'm hoping that when they cracked it out of the older style holder nothing was hiding in the rim area that stopped the upgrade process. Otherwise I don't understand why it was cracked out.
    JKT- Thank you
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike --

Good luck.

AMwld: nice upgrades, congrats
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Spotted this with a reasonable BIN or B/O - so - they accepted my offer.
    Some of the images made me a bit antsy, but I hope the coin looks close to these:

Edit: returned the coin due to an ancient staple scratch on the right obverse field.
    So... Back she went. Otherwise, it was an attractive coin.

Images removed so as not to hurt the dealer who owns the coin.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Yes nice 97o 55 i owned that coin for 97 hours before it made it's way from NC to Ga. We needed to keep that coin in the south. the 97o in 45 was also my coin a superb 45. That coin was reserved for Cary but he changed directions but still landed in Georgia. I am not sure where the slabbed photo's of the 45 came from but if I get a chance I will put up a pic or 2. I have another 97o coming my way so let's see if we can improve on those 2. Walt
  • Options
    Well here is the biggest numismatic mistake I almost made. Me and the seller have done most of my Barber Quarter buisness and when I seen this coin while driving to work at 5 am I was so excited because its the 1St 96-O i have actually liked so I didn't closely examine it because it was affordable to me for a change so I contacted the seller and set up payment arrangements. So I get to work and pull the pics up and boy was I surprised and disappointed..imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Mark,

4 AM is not the time and driving to work is not the place to be buying coins.
    Even if it were an 1896-O in NGC 45 - that coin is too beat up to be in any
    other holder, but a Genuine, IMHO.

Now that you realized it was an 1893-O - and you have this on hold with me.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike- I'm looking forward to owning the pretty AU-53 from you..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Notehunter - Congrats on the upgrades. 4 for 5, a great day at the plate.

JT - 58 doesn't surprise me. Good job on the original raw purchase.

Mike - Nice '09 qtr.

Mark - Avoiding that mis-labeled coin was a good break.

Pics for this AM, one of the very few dimes I own, my first transaction with Glenn H, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely 96-o dime
  • Options
    barberkeys- Gorgeous looking 96-o. Thanks I'm happy with the 4 for 5. I might submit the 96-o one more time.
    MFH- Great looking 93-o.
    Darrell- Still not sure why they cracked out the 96-o unless they just wanted a closer look, but then decided not to upgrade it. At least there was nothing the other holder was covering up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file