Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoinMike - Welcome to the Barber Mega Thread, and thanks for posting the pics. Some very nice examples there. It was a pleasure meeting you in Baltimore in November. From the footnote on your posts, it looks like your barber half collection is moving along rapidly. Hope you have the opportunity to post some of those as well.

Pics for tonight, interesting qtr in a third world holder from Scott's collection. Any opinions?

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Welcome!

Vern, 63 on the third world 02-S.
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    welcome Mike - I very much love that 94 quarter and 1912 half .. keep em coming
    imageimage
  • Options
    GTG if you so like .. this one is truly a newp. For the record, I disagree with the grade (I feel it has been over graded):

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I'll go XF40 on the 1914-S
  • Options
    Mike- Welcome and great looking 1912 half.
    Scott- I'll guess a VF35 on the 14-s.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '14 S I would say is a VF-30.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    CoinMike - Welcome and great pics!

Vern - Im going with Lenny's 63 guess as well on Scott's 02s

Scott - Ill agree with Notehunter and guess your new 14s is in a 35 holder. Regardless, congrats on a very tough pickup.

Lenny - Too bad we won't get to meet at FUN…..Hopefully somewhere in 2014!

Happy New Year to everybody!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Mike. William Barber's work is fine in my book. Post away.

I say 64 on the 3rd world slab, but I think our host would go 62/63 net to 62. Looks like some marks on the cheek, but hard to tell with out rotation.

I grade the 14-S VF30. I'm guessing it's in a 35 or 40 holder.
  • Options
    Hello and Happy New Year~!

For the record, I agree with Frank's opinion on the grade of the 14-S of VF30 .. The mintmark is flat as a pancake (worn) as are just about all the obverse stars. The band below Liberty is about 3/4 complete and the eagle's wings are also about 3/4 complete. The overall texture and look of the coin is VF IMO not to mention the image makes the coin appear to have been lightly cleaned (netting it even further down)

However, Patches wins the grand prize - imageimageimage It is XF40 as graded by PCGS .. - Patches, do you work for PCGS ?imageimage

I do not feel that 1914-S is deserving of an EXTREMELY fine grade! Is the detail EXTREMELY (not extra by the way) FINE?

Compare with coins in the movie linked below (sorry I know I have posted this link a few times over the years but it is so applicable here I couldn't resist); all of which graded VF35 (except for the 1898-S which graded 30) by our host. If the 1894, 1899-S and 1900-S graded 35, then the 14-S should be a 20. Look how bold and thick the definition is on the 1900-S on Liberty's lower band, the obverse stars and all the other devices. There is plenty of forehead hair remaining, the eagle's wings are full and BOLD to the tips; the neck and claw feathers are fluffy, there is luster and the coin maintains excellent eye appeal! The 14-S can't compare let alone be finer! And .. it is one of the toughest coins in the series .. should it not be graded under tighter scrutiny? (I feel all coins should stand alone and be graded for what they are. I am only citing this as it remains one of the philosophies often spouted).

I believe the 1892-S shown in the movie is exemplary for a VF30 (maybe 35) grade. How is the 1892-S the same grade as the 1900-S or 1899-S? They were in the same submission, graded just a couple cons apart to boot! WOW is all I can say ... Does anyone really feel the 1892-S and the 1900-S should be the exact same grade? If you do, please explain why you feel that way. I am not saying anyone is right or wrong for how they see it - it is purely subjective (with some experience tossed in ) after all !!!

I feel the 1894 is a text book XF40. The color is perfect XF40 color as is the detail, the hints of luster and just the entire overall look and design should be XF40. The difference in price points for an 1894 quarter going from VF35 to XF40 is minimal so money plays no motive here ... Compare to any XF40 graded coin in this thread or on the internet ... I just find it amazing that all 5 coins graded VF35 (and one graded VF30) when the apparent range of detail and luster remaining are quite different. Is this a result of a 10 second cursory grade? I suspect that is the most likely reason.

But this is why grading truly is subjective. It still mesmerizes me how much money hangs in the balance between grades of in certain situations (tens of thousands and more) based on pure subjectivity. But I digress (what else is new) ...

Compare the 14-S to these - all graded VF35 (or VF30 in the case of the 1898-S)

coins graded VF-35 by PCGS

MFH if you are secretly watching, I hereby grant express written consent to use this video in the next Barber Grading Class hosted by you and the great Glenn Holsonbake ! Perhaps I should attend, because it is apparent I can not grade these coins !

Edited to give Patches his cake and champagne
    imageimage
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    I'll say the 02-S is a 64 or better just because most 3rd world holders are overgraded..realistically I'd say a 63.

The 14-S in my opinion is a true XF-40 but is maybe in a 50 holder.

CoinMike welcome to the Mega Thread Part 2

Oh yea..Who snagged the 95-O AU-55 off Fleabay last night before I got home Lol
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Yes you did Mark - perhaps Patches will share his cake with you .. As in most drawings, tie goes to the earliest poster image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mark-

I saw that 95-O / 55 last night Mark - it was not me; I thought the coin looked too white but the images were poor at best so was very hard to tell .. price was right .. I did almost BIN at the asking price but I have a couple already; a 63 and a 58 so I left it .. Plus there are a few other things coming up in various venues I am pursuing .. I would like to know if a forumite bought it and what they think of it when they receive it
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yes i was gna buy it but didn't pull the trigger fast enough.because of I was driving in the snow and didn't think it was worth playing on my phone at that time.
    And I misread the earlier conclusion..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark,

Patience is the biggest virtue in this hobby (thank you paesan for teaching this to me) image

I can't tell you how many times I bought a coin to fill a hole only to have a better one come along
    The only two things that ever came of that was:
    * Losing money as I almost never recouped the money from the initial purchase
    * Feeling of dissatisfaction as the initial coin either lacked appeal, originality, etc., or was a grade I wasn't truly pursuing

I feel like I'm finally at a point where I can wait and let a coin ho by that I know in my heart will only be a target of replacement

This is not to be confused with buying a coin of a lower grade WITH eye appeal and all the criteria I like and upgrading later. This particularly applies to tough dates/condition rarities
    Although I still fall into the trap from time to time (case in point the above 14-S image ), it doesn't happen nearly as often as it once did.

Me<------ hypocrite? Probably
    imageimage
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott,

I agree with you, your 14-S is over-graded as a 40. PCGS grades type 1 (1892-1900) and type 2 (1900-1916) barber quarters differently. They are too conservative on type 1 coins, and too loose on type 2.

Doug
  • Options
    Scott-Thanx for the chat. As with you Paesan has also kindly given me many pointers and advice I feel is valuable and is the reason I'm not buying every date I need as I find them. I have passed on many coins that I would now love to have purchased. There just isn't many quarters available to me that I both like and can afford. I work 7 days a week(literally) so not much time to go to shows and even my coin club anymore..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Just read Vern's article in the BCCS journal. It's always fun to read what a fellow collector has gone through to build such a great collection, and how long it takes. Nice work.
  • Options

<< <i>Just read Vern's article in the BCCS journal. It's always fun to read what a fellow collector has gone through to build such a great collection, and how long it takes. Nice work. >>

It was my favorite read in the latest journal image
  • Options

<< <i>Text<< Just read Vern's article in the BCCS journal. It's always fun to read what a fellow collector has gone through to build such a great collection, and how long it takes. Nice work. >> >>

I agree - I stated this early on the previous page as I received and read the journal on the day after New Years.

Very well done .. Love how it created a visual that brought you back in time to where there was much less demand and less awareness what these coins true condition scarcity were and the potential their value could realize.
    But my favorite part- it had pictures!
    imageimage
  • Options
    That would be kewl to read. Guess I gtA send bccs a check 1st.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Scott - My thought was 30 or 35 on your 14-S, but our hosts calling it 40 isn't a shock to me. At least they were in the ballpark.

Thanks for the positive comments on my article in the BCCS journal. I will happily email it to anyone who isn't a BCCS member, just PM your email address. I do encourage all to join though, it's $15 per year. Here is the link to the BCCS website. Link

Here is what the third world service thought about Scott's 02-S:

It will be interesting to see what our hosts say, if Scott happens to crack it and submit it.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- do u still have my Email? Mrkbrown8709@gmail.com ty
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mark - It's on it's way.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for tonight, recent from Paesan's collection, NGC-55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern-Great job on the Article,I really enjoyed reading it on my lunch break yesterday.. Great pics capturing that 04. It's a dark coin but u seem to have caught that beauty perfectly..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Pics for tonight, another from Paesan's stash, NGC-58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern, Thanks for posting my coins. Stay warm!

Paesan
  • Options
    Paesan - My pleasure, more to follow.

Pics for this AM, from Scott's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Lenny - Love the look on that 92 Half Dollar .. I bet that is sweet in hand

What a dog of a 1896-O Quarter image .. Look how flat those obverse stars are !

To all those attending FUN - Have FUN ! image. Don't be afraid to splurge on yourself image

Vern - you should consider polishing up your already gifted photography skills and make a few bucks on the side .. may be helpful for financing coins especially if that 01-S AU quarter ever comes along image

The 1914-S Quarter PCGS XF40 that received mixed opinions actually does appear to be a solid XF40 IMO as a lot of high point luster is retained. A nice circulated silver/brown with light hues of brassy/gold . The detail is better then the photos would lead one to believe. It is definitely not one of the best struck San Fran coins as it is soft in the center but the skin is as original as the 97-S quarter NGC40/PCGS VF35 that I have posted 4 score and 20- times in the past ..

I would love to get someone to take a better photo of this coin

imageimage
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my Barber Half and Dime in NGC holders at the present time, but I am fixin' to crossover them real soon to fit in with my PCGS Registry Set;

1892 50C TDO FS-801 NGC AU53

1899-O 10C RPM FS-501 NGC MS62

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Paesan- I love that 92 Half. Nice original look to it

Vern- great job shooting the pics of everyones coins,it's great to have a fellow collector/friend to image these highly expensive and difficult coins and to know they are in secure hands while it's being done.

Scott- If that 96-O is a dog you dnt like I wold love to put him in my kennel Lol
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Ih8te2wait- Very nice coins u got there.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    OKCCOKCC Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1914-S Quarter PCGS XF40 that received mixed opinions actually does appear to be a solid XF40 IMO as a lot of high point luster is retained. A nice circulated silver/brown with light hues of brassy/gold . The detail is better then the photos would lead one to believe. It is definitely not one of the best struck San Fran coins as it is soft in the center but the skin is as original as the 97-S quarter NGC40/PCGS VF35 that I have posted 4 score and 20- times in the past ..

I would love to get someone to take a better photo of this coin >>

I'm glad you liked the coin. We both learned some, as well.

I feel that I should be able to take better pictures though, but don't know what else to try. I have a nice camera, a Canon 50D with a 100mm macro lens, two lights.
    I've taken the photography class at the Summer Seminar, as well as asking questions at my local camera store.
    Guess I will now go practice some more...
  • Options
    Scott, I'll agree that the 96-O doesn't have a great strike, but I won't say it's a dog. Tough coin and decent enough look. As for my 92 half, I like it a lot but as Vern pointed out, obverse color is suspect. I may flip it rather than try to cross it or keep it as is. One thing for sure is its not easy to see an AU rub on it. I grade 63.

Hate 2 wait...nice looking coins!

Paesan
  • Options
    I hate 2 wait - Nice original looking coins, thanks for posting. '92 half looks at tad conservatively graded, near as I can tell.

Pics for tonight, a neat RPM from Paesan's stash, PC62. Looks like it's struck on proof dies.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    That 92-S RPM sure looks like a beauty .. Would love to see that one in hand some day .. that is a date that seems to come attractive and well struck

I Hate to wait - Love both of those coins - very attractive .. I could care less what holders they are in or if raw .. those are beautiful

I was just kidding about the 96-O being a dog .. being the current caretaker, I felt at Liberty to be the harshest critic. It is actually a curious coin as the reverse is nearly fully struck as are the remaining devices on the obverse, stars aside. It actually leads me to hypothesize the dies were filled with grease in the stars or some similar issue. The rest of the coin having a solid to nearly full strike seems to lend credence to such a hypothesis

I was reading the Lawrence guide to BQ and although I have read it cover to cover numerous times, I was very interested to find this note about the 1914-S quarter:

"MM #301 (die variety) has a flat shallow MM even on mint state specimens"

You surely do learn something new every day - even if I thought I had this book memorized ...
    This is one of the issues that boggled my mind the most about that coin .. the mintmark appears worn down to about VG level of consistent wear .. what an amazing analysis by the late great DL

imageimage
  • Options
    Was just perusing some Heritage auctions. I never thought die clashes were very common in the half series, but Lot 4607, 4609, 4610 all have some clashing with the last two pretty prominent. Maybe struck from the same die.

Also, in Sunday's auction lot 9090 has an interesting anomaly on the obverse. There looks to be a raised bit from the upper lip to the nostril and it seems to continue past the bridge of the nose. I noticed it has the real weak struck reverse. My old 93-O had a real weak reverse, but does not have this anomaly. Maybe some others would like to take a look and see if they have one? I have found at least one on eBay. Opinions on what it bight be? Ebay coin I shall call it walrus tooth. image
  • Options
    A quick search through coin facts revealed that the 93-O is quite peppered with die clashes.
  • Options
    Justin - interesting research and observations ... maybe someday die varieties will catch on in the barber series like they have in the capped bust or seated series and we will someday have R6 and R7 die varieties similar to Wiley Bugert and Overton numbers and marriages ... Great info !
    imageimage
  • Options
    I agree, it would be neat to have something like VAM's for Barbers. Different clashes/die markers/ RPM's etc. It would take a tremendous amount of time though, and sadly there just isn't a significant amount of interest in the series.
  • Options
    Justin - That's a pretty neat large die chip (or gouge). I'd think it'd make the top ten VAM, if it were a Morgan Dollar.

Pics for tonight, very attractive qtr from Paesan's stash, NGC-58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Just returned from a whirlwind 27 hours that was my first ever FUN Show experience. I anticipated a huge bourse….after all, I had seen pictures of it online and it always looks really big. Even with those expectations I was still in awe when I walked through the entrance at 10 AM this morning and saw the floor for the first time. Wow. I remember Darrell writing something to the effect of "1 day is going to be tough to see everything" when I first posted that I was going to FUN for the first time for one day only. Boy was he right.

I still had a fantastic day, and really enjoyed meeting several really nice guys from this forum. It was very nice to meet Mike Hayes and Glenn Holsonbake for the first time today, and I picked up a nice 94 o in PC 55 from Glenn that I consider to be an "upgrade" from another 55 previously in my set. It was also nice to chat with Darrell again for a bit (and to pick up a nice looking original raw 01p from him). I got to attend the first 30 minutes of so of the BCCS meeting before I had to catch a cab to the airport.

In early hindsight, I probably could've been a bit more efficient in my "plan of attack" for trying to see as much of the bourse as possible, but it was a very enjoyable day for me and I am really happy to have come home with some very nice quarters, both raw in in PCGS plastic. I also submitted a handful of coins to our hosts and Ill be looking forward to those results as well.

I won't flood the thread with too many pics at once, so for tonight Ill just post my favorite pickup from today. A sweet looking 1910 D in PC 58 from Gail at JJ Teaparty.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    JT, Nice looking 10-D. Looks vaguely familiar. :-)

Vern, the 05 pix came out great. Thanks.

Got 5 coins at FUN, but only Barber was an 01 half PC 55. I was overwhelmed and didn't work the floor well. Next time.

Paesan
  • Options
    JT - Glad you had a good first experience at FUN. Nice acquisition of the 10-D, I think that used to be in Paesan's stash in the not too distant past. Look forward to more pics.

Paesan - I'd say you had a good show as well.

Pics for tonight, nice looking qtr from Scott's collection, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I had a sneaking suspicion that 10d was from The Stash after (A) I found out it was a consignment from Teaparty, and (B) I got home and tried to add it to my set and wasn't able to image

The funny and neat thing to me is that this coin will replace a PC45 that I had bought from Teaparty in Baltimore last Spring….which led to me trying to add that coin to my set and PCGS denying it….which led to Lenny asking on this thread who had bought the coin….which led to me contacting Lenny….which ultimately led to me getting a chance to acquire some of my absolute favorite BQs. image

• Options
    Vern - I have taken no less than 200 pictures of that 1897-O Quarter .. none even remotely close to yours .. Very nice job on that coin ... That coin is as nice as one could hope for - I have declined several higher graded coins from 55 to 62 in lieu of that coin being nicer. The sharpness, original skin and over all look is superb .. Thanks for taking the time to image and post it image

JT - Happy to hear you had FUN at FUN !!.. Nice coins as always ...

On the same note, and first, I have absolutely no affiliation with Tom Bush so let me first put that out there .. He has for sale an 1896-O Quarter in PC-50 which, based on his images, which are amongst the most accurate images in the business in terms of in hand replication, appears to be a pure, unadulterated, gorgeous original and well struck beauty .. Steeply priced but as Lloyd says, Good coins aren't cheap and cheap coins aren't good imageLink to TB . This coin is what I consider to be as choice and text book as any originally skinned and toned Barber as one could aspire to collect. Coin collecting is a constant state of evolution --- If I wasn't moving towards a different direction, this post never would have been published (until the coin was securely in my possession that is) image ... Just wanted to offer my opinion on what one who desires to collect originally skinned, beautifully toned coinage should aspire to seek out.

Speaking of 1910-D Quarters, I have found this date to be another of the over rated dates, under MS anyway. I find the 1910-P to be a scarcer coin myself. Not as much as the 1911-D or 1904-O as the 10-D does fly under the radar in the shadows of the previously mentioned dates amongst several others .. For whatever reason, I have seen this date a lot and find it to be bordering on common myself. Maybe R-2 is accurate IMO. In MS it appears to be much more difficult - I have only seen a few ... the ANACS 62 coin at Heritage is commanding a pretty substantial price whereas that coin doesn't appear to be very nice (based on their images which as well know, may or may not be the case), plus it is in an ANACS holder, which means little to me personally, but does to many other potential suiters. That is a lot going against it yet it still is maintaining a sizable price, which speaks as to it's difficulty in MS

This 1910-D replaced another AU55 that was more lustrous but not nearly as original. This one is also graded AU55 and is a nice originally skinned quarter.. The spots seen in the image are barely noticeable in hand .. Although I grade it AU53 as there is a little more wear than what I would expect on a 55, I still consider the coin to be very appealing. Considering who auctioned it, I was surprised when it closed sold several months ago for $250 ..
    imageimage

* Edited to fix the comments re TB 96-O and add the 10-D comments/images
    imageimage
  • Options
    JT-Nice pickup on the 10-D. That's an incredibly tough coin IMHO

SCOTT- THAT'S gtA be the nicest most original 97-0 in AU that i have seen in my short time as a barberite. Thanks for the link to the 96-O,if I had the funds I would snatch that baby up and never think twice about it..That's the type of original coin that u hoard until death do u part. Lol
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

"Speaking of 1910-D Quarters, I have found this date to be another of the over rated dates. Not as much as the 1911-D or 1904-O as it does fly under the radar in the shadows of the previously mentioned dates amongst several others .. For whatever reason, I have seen a lot of this date and find it to be bordering on common myself. Maybe R-2 is accurate IMO
    This 1910-D replaced graded AU55 is a nice originally skinned quarter.. The spots seen in the image are barely noticeable in hand .. Although I grade it AU53 as there is a little more wear than what I would expect on a 55, I still consider the coin to be very appealing. Considering who auctioned it, I was surprised when it closed sold several months ago for $250 .."

Nice 10-D's! I agree on the sentiment, Scott...I think they're readily available.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file