The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree! Put me on the short list...
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    I found this on FleaBay. Real or Fake toning? Any input would be appreciated..imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Doesn't look natural.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark - Doesn't look real to me either.

Pics for tonight, from a local friend's collection, PC53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Nice half, and undergraded IMO
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I received confirmation today, I will be reunited with an old friend. I bought this coin from MFH in 2010. I started to do a quarter set but migrated off to do a half set. (Yes, I know what you are all thinking, "Justin, can't stay focused? Noooooooooooooo not him....") Anyways, I noticed an odd bump below 1 in the date. I sent pics to Steve Hustad of the BCCS who placed it in the Journal. Some of you may remember the one. Long story short, not long after it was put in there, a friend of mine started a quarter set. I sold him most of the ones I had including this one. I always said I wanted to buy it back if he ever sold. Fast forward, he recently consigned his quarters to Glenn Holsonbake. My friend and I completely forgot about this 05 until about two Saturdays ago. Mike had mentioned to me about a variety and it clicked in my head. So I contacted Glenn and he said it's mine...for the second time. It won't be leaving again.

Regarding the 1/1905. I am curious to hear the opinions of anyone here that would like to share. Steve seems to think it is remnants of a repunched one. I have heard others say it was simply a die chip. I have no clue, but I could always bring it to a BCCS meeting at Baltimore if anyone would like to see it closer.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn nice Quarter Justin. Looks like a die chip to me. So when ya gonna start collecting halves again? image
  • Options

<< <i>Damn nice Quarter Justin. Looks like a die chip to me. So when ya gonna start collecting halves again? image >>

Thank you.

And maybe I have and maybe I haven't. I am sure as much as you pay attention to auction sites and eBay you would know if I am.

Edit to add: image
  • Options
    Interesting quarter, Justin. I'm glad you got it back and a tough P in 58.

Paesan
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Cool story and even cooler coin! Thanks for posting Justin!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does anybody have a nice 09-o 25c that they would consider selling. Customer of mine is looking for a nice one and willing to pay up to get it

He is loaded with cash at the moment he just sold Ian R about xx k worth of coins .

PM me

Thanks for the few responses, He is looking for a ch AU grade range

• Options
    Thanks paesan and JKT.

Jim, pm sent.
  • Options
    Justin-beautiful quarterI would happily take that 05 off your hands..(not a buying attempt),just saying I like it alot..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>does anybody have a nice 09-o 25c that they would consider selling. Customer of mine is looking for a nice one and willing to pay up to get it

He is loaded with cash at the moment he just sold Ian R about xx k worth of coins .

PM me

Thanks for the few responses, He is looking for a ch AU grade range >>

For inspiration only, some slightly better images of my PC45 than I was able to conjure up when it came back from grading a few months ago.
    Let us know what you find out there, I know I'd be curious.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Great coin, Dogwood! Any guess as to the apparent indentation at around 9:00 obverse?

Paesan.
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 613 ✭✭✭
    Dogwood,

Very nice coin and scarce,Thank you for showing it.

High end 45....if any luster not being seen in the photo possibly an AU coin either way you have a spectacular coin

Rob
    Rob
  • Options

<< <i>Great coin, Dogwood! Any guess as to the apparent indentation at around 9:00 obverse?

Paesan. >>

Looks like a strike through to me and probably held the coin back from AU-50. Nice coin and looks to have quite a bit of luster!
  • Options
    Yeah, it does look like one of those pesky little New Orleans wood chip divots but in reality it's an optical illusion. The top line is toning and the one under it is a pin scratch.
    Thanks for the kind words.
  • Options
    That is one sweeeeeeeet 09o Dogwood!

Here is a recent newp. I had a difficult time locating appealing XF or AU examples of this date for quite a while, and then suddenly stumbled into 2 that I liked in a four week span. Couldn't resist taking a stab at this one and ended up the happy new owner. As usual, my pics are not the best but hopefully will give a decent representation. PC50

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Justin - Very nice looking '05 qtr. I'm in the remnant on a digit camp.

Dennis - Glad to get a better peek at your latest 09-O. It's really a nice one, and it's amazing how much that looks like a strike thru. You are the king of XF/AU 09-O's.

JT - Good looking 93-S, congrats on a tough one.

Pics for tonight, another half from a local collector, ICG-61:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, from Scott's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an update: (09-o quarter guy)

Had two offers to sell from 2 forum members: I spoke with him today, he is suffering from sticker shock at the present time

Ill update when I here what he decides to do
  • Options

<< <i>Here's an update: (09-o quarter guy)

Had two offers to sell from 2 forum members: I spoke with him today, he is suffering from sticker shock at the present time

Ill update when I here what he decides to do >>

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys continue to make the tough B-quarters look easy - very nice coins, one and all.

Had two offers to sell from 2 forum members: I spoke with him today, he is suffering from sticker shock at the present time >>

LOL - I bet! Have him check prices in the real world, like Heritage Auctions. Those coins don't sell cheap.
    Well, unless you are willing to settle for a drecky raw example like this one I got a few months ago, that I posted on the main forum:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    [

LOL - I bet! Have him check prices in the real world, like Heritage Auctions. Those coins don't sell cheap.
    Well, unless you are willing to settle for a drecky raw example like this one I got a few months ago, that I posted on the main forum:

image >>

I'll settle for it anytime. Nice original 09-O WalkerGuy
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Ill update when I here what he decides to do >>

Oooh! Is my old 55 back on the market?image
    Are BOTH 55's on the market?
    What a hoot that would be.

Walkerguy, nothing drecky about that one! Got that nice, "spent 50 years in a leather pouch" look.
  • Options
    I also like Walkerguy's 09-O. Nice find.
  • Options
    Dennis - Your old 55 (now safely tucked in the Iowa collection) is not on the market, mine isn't either but could be had for a price (like many of my coins). I've found that keeping my collection dynamic, adds to the enjoyment of the hobby. And I still have the pics.

Since I haven't posted these in a while, below are the only two PC55's, Iowa collection first:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Wow - it looks like the forumites have the market cornered on choice AU 09O quarters!!

I don't follow the auctions, but in >5 years of show hunting, including winter and summer FUN, you just never see
    that coin in Fine or higher grades.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    WalkerGuy- these seasoned barber aficionados hoard the Keyes and semi-Keyes til us younger generation are ready for the leap...
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Vern, Doug: Never get tired of looking at those coins!

Who's going to FUN?

Paesan
  • Options
    Me!
  • Options
    Ill be there Friday only.

• Options
    I'll be there.image
  • Options
    I need to move to Florida...

Nice run of 09-O's shown. You guys make it look easy.

JKT, nice 93-S.
  • Options
    I can only go on Thursday. Sorry I won't be able to meet you, JT. Maybe the rest of us can pick a spot and time to shake hands and play show and tell. Open to suggestions.

Paesan.
  • Options
    I'll be at table 445!
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Vern - Great article in the BCCS journal (current volume, #24) .. Well written and full of passion. Great illustrations as well ! Very well done image
    imageimage
  • Options
    No FUN for me this year. To those who attend, enjoy and good hunting.

Scott - Thanks, it's a fun collection that continues to be a work in progress.

Pics for tonight, one from the raw set I probably haven't posted here before:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Great look on that 07!
  • Options
    Pics to start the new year, my favorite acquisitions from last year (it was a very good year), thanks Chris and Walt:

Now for 2014, to find an 01-S that matches the 96-S.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Happy New Year BarberBuddies!!

Vern-Super Sweet 96-S and 13-S are the best I've seen so far..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Wow - gonna be tough to top those!

• Options
    Pics for tonight, a Cass hoard selection from Scott's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the 13s and the 96s quarters Vern. I think you're right….you had a GREAT year. Beautiful key date examples!

• Options
    Verne! I REALLY LIKE THAT 13-S!
  • Options
    Hello fellow Barber collectors,

Brand new here, and thought I will share some of my barbers with . I'm currently working on a Barber half Dansco album in grades of G-6 to VG-8 (though there may be some F-12's image ) with an emphasis on originality. I've taken the summer seminar's "The Coinage of Charles Barber" class by Mike and Glenn last summer, and I believe I met Vern at the recent Baltimore show.
    image[/URL][/IMG
    image[/URL][/IMG]
    Not really sure how to upload pictures to this forum, but I hope these work! Thanks everyone!

-Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hello fellow Barber collectors,

Brand new here, and thought I will share some of my barbers with . I'm currently working on a Barber half Dansco album in grades of G-6 to VG-8 (though there may be some F-12's image ) with an emphasis on originality. I've taken the summer seminar's "The Coinage of Charles Barber" class by Mike and Glenn last summer, and I believe I met Vern at the recent Baltimore show.
    [URL=http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/michaeljohnson296/media/1894BarberQuarter_zps6f68d316.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/michaeljohnson296/media/1912BarberHalf_zps7029aed6.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/michaeljohnson296/media/IMG_3934-horz_zps7c4ff370.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Not really sure how to upload pictures to this forum, but I hope these work! Thanks everyone!

-Mike >>

Got it image
  • Options
    CoinMikeCoinMike Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Do you guys mind if I post one of William Barber's works? image
    [URL=http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/michaeljohnson296/media/1877-STradeDollar_zpsefbf8afe.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file