Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Barber Mega Thread - Part Two

Comments

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    I love it! (not your aching body, Mark) I have learned a thing or two from each of you at one time or another on this thread, so I guess love for Barbers and a bit of knowledge about the series has no age image

Here's another newp from FUN. A nice example of a common date, and and upgrade for my set. PC 58

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Also I believe the coin above is a 102 RPD (Lawrence). Any opinions on the whether it is or another variety would be appreciated!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of good looking barbers posted the past few days. Very glad to see them. Also, interesting comments on quarter rarity. Really shows how people's perspectives are different.

Mike - Interesting 1901. Great discussion piece. Very good to have you back.

And all the comments about age and aches and pains just makes an old guy like me think it's time to go take a nap.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Jt- Nice 15-D I like the look of that beauty..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Vern- as good as ur eye for PQ barbers and sharp photography skills are u cnt be(old) when u are no longer able to hold a loupe or camera we will begin to worry Lol

Ps. I enjoy a nap as much as the next guy so..
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    JT - your 15-D looks like a RPD, but I can't say for sure from the pics. Good looking coin regardless.

Mark - thanks, I may have a couple more years left in me.

Pics for tonight, from Paesan's stash, NGC-58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pic for today, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern - Thanks for the insight on the RPD. Those pics aren't great I know and I probably should have posted a picture focused on the date. Appreciate your two cents. Love the raw 07d!

Here is my newest quarter that arrived today. Thank you to forum member Patches for allowing me to become it's very happy new caretaker. I am thrilled to be adding this one to my collection. PC 40

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• Options
    Vern- nice Raw 07-D. I myself have been strongly considering a VF-Xf Raw Quarter Set but I'm not sure which Album will be the best option..I k know JT has a LOC album so maybe between you 2 guys I can get started in the right direction..

JT- Super Sweet 97-S my friend. Hands down 1 of the nicest 97-S I have seen since I got the Barber Itch...Great Job. imageimage
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    It was an April morning when they told us we should go
    As I turn to you, you smiled at me
    How could we say no?

This is the wonder of devotion - I see the torch we all must hold.
    This is the mystery of the quotient - Upon us all a little rain must fall.

Close the door, put out the light.
    You know they won't be home tonight.
    The dogs of doom are howling more!

Oh .. btw - Nice coins JT and Vern image

imageimage
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Way, way down inside, you need coins.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Here's an obscure line .... "Ain't no companion like a blue eyed Merle" .. If anyone knows what song that line is from, they are truly a Led Zeppelin fanatic.

And ... to keep things on par ... Here is a coin I am not sure if I or Vern (his picture) ever posted. One of the better early Philadelphia dates. While the coin does not have a low population, or a low mintage, for some reason not many have been sold the past few years in the upper circulated AU grades nor in Mint State. Everything I state below is my opinion. I aim to not mislead or misinform. If someone feels I have grossly or ignorantly misstated something of factual nature, please do chime in as one can never learn enough

The surfaces of this coin, in my opinion, define original surfaces in the sense that they have never been cleaned. The surfaces are completely devoid of hairlines, wiping or even circulation abrasions. I am as certain about this coin, as any coin I have seen, that this coin almost certainly has never been dipped. Ever. Clearly this is impossible to state with absolute certainty, but I am as confident about this coin not having been dipped, as any I own or any I have seen before to compare it to.

While album toning by definition is truly secondary toning or even considered damage to some, to me, I view this as having been one of the acceptable practices of coin storage for decades within the coin hobby. Aside from storage in envelopes or drawers, there were not many other options to the previous generations of collectors to properly and safely store their coins. While I am not a fan of all album toning, some coins, as is the case with this coin, are beautifully and "naturally" toned as a result. All toning is the result of a chemical reaction of the highly reactive silver sulfide top layer of metal on the surfaces of the coin to the elements and atmosphere of how and where one stores their collection. Can we not say then that all toning comes from storage? The depth of toning, the bonding of the toning to the metal, the color, and the overall "naturalness" and flow to the patterns are what I look for when determining natural from artificial and/or primary vs. secondary toning. Not all of this coin's toning is a result of album toning. It so happens the colors and patterns coordinate and "match" well yielding an aesthetically pleasing and natural appearance.

Additionally, this coin is 100% fully struck. Absolutely crushed. Pay close attention to the depth and definition of the 13 obverse stars - one of my favorite pickup points. The features are as sharp and defined as I have seen on a Barber Quarter. All other designs are boldly outlined with natural tone and aged dirt filling the cracks and crevices helping to outline the devices yielding fantastic eye appeal. The individual definition of each neck feather on the eagle, the full and deep horizontal shield lines which are just as full on the top right (facing) corner of the shield as any other section, are evidence of a full strike.

The coin is a natural light grey patina with some moderate album toning in silver-sienna limited to being around the circumference of the rim. Subtle hues of violet, aqua, rose and teal pop under a light source. Toning is unquestionably and undeniably primary. While the rim is album toned (secondary), it is not the result of dipping or cleaning, but rather years if not decades of the sulfuric contaminants within the album toning the silver alloy. The obverse toning is delicate and extremely appealing. Slightly darker toning on the reverse fields blends with the golden-shale colored patina harmoniously. Luster is restricted to the high points although the coin "cart-wheels" smoothly and easily when tilted, the light acting as a spotlight highlighting the details in circular fashion.

The strike, the lovely toning equally beautiful on the obverse and reverse, the subtle color blended on these wonderfully smooth and virgin surfaces more than make up for the missing luster for my taste .. Not for everyone but this is the variable within the hobby - the Eye of the Beholder ..

Interestingly, this coin compares very similarly in appearance to a 1905 Barber Half Dollar in the same grade in my collection, yet another of the tough Philadelphia dates within the series Barber. The colors, striking features and toning are all remarkably similar. The subtle hues of aqua, teal, rose and violet are seen around the album toned rim on the half dollar as are on the quarter. The toning on the 1905 Half Dollar, while similar to the quarter, is much more entirely an album toned coin with the obverse being slightly darker than the reverse. This is unusual as the reverse is usually the darker side (as the obverse was displayed in the album, the reverse would be hidden from the light for years). The reverse toning and eye appeal is phenomenal on this half dollar. Delicate colors blend with Picasso artistry. Luster reflects and radiates outward toward the viewer and spins in a full, effortless cartwheel. The color is much more pronounced on the reverse than it is on the obverse. The nick on the nose is almost unnoticeable in hand.

This is a glorious coin .. Vern did a spectacular job on both coins. The work was especially remarkable in capturing some of the color, as did Todd (Pollock), particularly under the letters in America on the 1905 Half Dollar, while not sacraficing the luster and other attributes. Both sets of images are also extremely accurate to the in hand look. Another amongst my favorite coins ... Like a chicken farm in the autumn months of the Alaskan tundra, many will have to be brought to slaughter; only so many will survive (no offense intended with this metaphor). Amongst the surviving hens will be this 1905 Half Dollar and 1894 Quarter.

imageimage

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    JT - Congrats on the 97-S acquisition.

Scott - Great discussion on your '94 qtr (and 05 half). Your passion shows thru.
    And, can't place "Merle". Luv that Zep.

Mark - I like the old Wayte Raymond boards (and this gives me an excuse to post my set again), but the LOC albums are neat also.

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Scott, great analysis of the finer points of your beautiful original 94 quarter. I don't mind secondary, or album toning on an original coin, it ads to the character.

Vern, I never get tired of seeing your set in those old album pages!

Doug
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..........Vern, I never get tired of seeing your set in those old album pages!....... >>

Took the words right out of my mouth.
  • Options
    Vern-Very kewl album set. I would like to see some closeup shots of the entirety.. Also seeing u guys have a complete or work in progress makes me wna take the plunge even more lol

Scott-I agree that it's not to easy to find a 98p in nice original AU-55-58.btw I love the toning on both especially the 94. I hope to find a similar example for myself
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Bron-y-aur stomp
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Very good Mowgli .. I admit it wasn't the hardest question but I am none the less impressed image
    One of my favorite songs - particularly the live version recorded at Earl's Court in 1975 followed closely to the Live in Seattle version from 1977

The 1994 No Quarter album recorded Live and unplugged in Morocco showed just how amazingly gifted these guys truly were .. To "reunite" and perform on such a high level and still Improv like they did is just mind-boggling. Most casual listeners dismiss them as a heavy rock/blues band when in fact they had the talent and musical gifts of the most polished Berkeley student.

Do you still do the twist
    Do you find you remember things that well
    Out in the country, hear the people singin'
    Singin' 'bout their progress, knowin' where they're goin'

People turned away ... So far away, so far away
    imageimage
  • Options
    Vern - I never get tired of seeing coins from your raw set. Seeing the whole board is a treat.

Scott - Interesting post to read and very nice 94. Tough coin to find that nice for sure. Also, Led Zepplin rocks.

• Options
    Newp from FUN, into Paesan's stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Great images Vern .. Great group of newps Paesano
    I never get tired of seeing Vern's raw set of quarters either: The Gold Standard

This 1892 Half has not been posted before as all I had were my own pix but as it is likely about to be sold, I figured I would show it. While I am typically not a fan of toning this dark, this coin is very, very lustrous which is unusual for such a dark coin .. The coin is somewhat PL. There is lots of aqua, rose and aqua marine hues swirling within the lustrous smooth surfaces. Nary a hairline to be found. Virtually no wear can be detected on the very well struck coin, Very pretty and very flashy - not a combination you find every day

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    The darkness doesn't bother me. I'm sure you knew that. The strike is tremendous as well.

I picked up a coin today, it isn't a Barber so I won't post it. It does have a Quarter mintmark from the same era though.

• Options

<< <i>The darkness doesn't bother me. I'm sure you knew that. The strike is tremendous as well.

I picked up a coin today, it isn't a Barber so I won't post it. It does have a Quarter mintmark from the same era though. >>

Perhaps a commem? U can at least say what it is..oh wait a morgan dollar. Micro-O
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The darkness doesn't bother me. I'm sure you knew that. The strike is tremendous as well.

I picked up a coin today, it isn't a Barber so I won't post it. It does have a Quarter mintmark from the same era though. >>

..oh wait a morgan dollar. Micro-O >>

Bingo!
  • Options
    Ah hah!! Morgan's are were I began my collecting
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    21-D (Quarter MM) ?
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>21-D (Quarter MM) ? >>

99-O micro-o
    80-o micro-o
    96-o micro-o

Either 1 of those
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>21-D (Quarter MM) ? >>

I think the D on the 21 is a lot smaller than any Barber quarter. Still looking in that department.
  • Options
    Lenny - Awesome new pickups as usual. Congrats! Always great pics from Vern...

Scott - I for one absolutely love the color on that 92 half. Awesome and beautiful coin to my eyes. Ill bet she "flies off the shelf".

Here is my newest quarter. I first saw this coin a couple of months ago and was apparently just a bit late in contacting the seller for it. When I saw it again it took me about 2.3 seconds to pick up the phone even though it was priced over 20% higher than I had first seen it a couple of months ago. Such is life I suppose. I am none the less still thrilled to pick this one up, and I consider it to be a nice "match" with my recent 97s newp. BTW, If anyone needs me I'll be down at the clinic selling all the organs my body doesn't absolutely need to function. j/k image

PC/CAC 40

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gawd. Led Zep talk combined with great coins/albums - talk about a stairway to heaven!

I wish to join this party. I bought a B half at FUN that matches nicely with my quarter (for my type collection). The quarter was obtained about 2 years ago. Both from Tom Bush. I like green, but it's not for everyone, I'm sure.

First the FUN half (PCGS 64+ CAC):

Now the matching luster bomb quarter (PCGS 65 CAC):

Pics by brg5658
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Catbert - Couple of sweet Barbers there! I really like the color on both of them. Thanks for posting them! I have yet to purchase a coin from Tom Bush, but I always admire his inventory.

Speaking of Tom Bush and sweet Barbers, I have a (pretend) bone to pick with our good friend SAM5969. I was the underbidder on the recent 96 O PC-45 CAC quarter in the recent Heritage auction. Between the time that I made my bid (approximately 10 days before the end of auction……………..lesson learned image) and the time I was outbid (live event), Tom put up his beautiful PC-50 onto his website. Now, with full honesty/disclosure, it may have been up before I bid, but I missed it if it was. I noticed it a day or two after I had made my bid, but did not purchase it immediately because I thought Id win the XF-45 on Heritage and I did not want to potentially tie that much money up into two 96 Os. I still have the Big Three key dates left before my set is "finished" for crying out loud, and I thought (naively) that Id be able to score Tom's coin if I lost out in the Heritage auction. Then………..SAM5969 makes a very poignant and articulate post in praise of Tom's AU-50, and magically………it's gone in 24-48 hours…...just before I am outbid on the Heritage coin. image

I am of course kidding, as I of course have zero evidence that Scott's post impacted the sale of Tom's beautiful coin, but I thought it would make for an entertaining read nonetheless. And, as with Scotts' bullseye post about Tom Bush's coin a short while back, that's the whole point of this wonderful thread, right?

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gawd. Led Zep talk combined with great coins/albums - talk about a stairway to heaven!

I wish to join this party. I bought a B half at FUN that matches nicely with my quarter (for my type collection). The quarter was obtained about 2 years ago. Both from Tom Bush. I like green, but it's not for everyone, I'm sure.

First the FUN half (PCGS 64+ CAC):

Now the matching luster bomb quarter (PCGS 65 CAC):

Pics by brg5658 >>

Very nice examples. I'm sure you're aware that the 06-S is a very underrated date.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    Jt- look on Heritage, there is another 96-O if I recall it's a Anacs XF-45
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>JT - your 15-D looks like a RPD, but I can't say for sure from the pics. Good looking coin regardless.

Mark - thanks, I may have a couple more years left in me.

Pics for tonight, from Paesan's stash, NGC-58:

image >>

I also picked up an AU 58 - 1907-O Quarter - this belonged to a good friend of LogPotato before he consigned it to PonyExpress8,
    it was one of three coins I picked up at FUN...

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike- that's 1 nice 07-O and In a OGH. Can't beat that..

Everyone's posting nice coins as always.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Mike, that was one of my favorite girls, seems as though I just borrowed her for a while,
    she originally came from Mr Walts hoard years ago
    Feeling alot of sellers remorseimage
    Enjoy
  • Options
    Thanks, David. It seems if you've been collecting for any amount of time,
    you'll start running into old friends that you've once owned.

Not too long ago, I ran into one of my old Quarters for sale and knew I
    wanted it back and included in my newest set. "If I liked it once, I'm sure
    I'll like it again !"

Let's see if I can attach from the iPad... If not... Later then from the laptop.
    Looks like I can attach images from the iPad, but not over 50KB ... 😢

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    MFH: I surely want back all of my old coins going back (gulp!) 40 years! image

• Options
    Scott - Great srike on that toner.

Justin - Dabbling in dollars now, eh?

JT - Nice pickup on that super tough 14-S.

Catbert - Great looking matched pair. Do your other silver type coins have that look? Thanks for posting.

Mike - Love those 58's in OGH's.

Craig - Is that 07-O gone as well?
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Catbert - Great looking matched pair. Do your other silver type coins have that look? Thanks for posting. >>

Thank you much! No, not with such a green emphasis, but you can see my small collection here and then click on the gallery.
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern: Fortunately the 07-O still resides in the collection. I rarely post my "goodby" material. image
    I just have to remember that I'm just a guardian for a period of time.

• Options
    cuda123cuda123 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Hi Catbert, I really like you 1907 barber, nice collection
  • Options
    Catbert - Wonderful collection, every one of them with tons of eye appeal, and (to my liking) not a silver coin that is blast white.

Pics for tonight, a newp from a local auction Saturday, ICG-50. This was for a friend in Indy, my only addition was a colonial.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for tonight, from my raw set:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- Nice Raw 07-0. That's the look and detail I'm shooting for on my own album.
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Minor Upgrade to the Dime set[s]

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike- I like the look of that 93-O. how about a pic of the dime I aggrevate you about? image
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

<< <i>Mike- I like the look of that 93-O. how about a pic of the dime I aggrevate you about? image >>

imageimage

BTW - I sent it in for Cross at any grade...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike- thanks buddy that's the most beautiful Barber Dime I have ever seen..that just made my drive in the snow so much better
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file