Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another ANA Executive Director bites the dust...

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
NEWS FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, April 26, 2013

Telephone: 719-482-9872

E-mail: pr@money.org

ANA Board Elects Not To Extend Contract of Executive Director Jeff Shevlin

American Numismatic Association President Thomas Hallenbeck announced today that the ANA Board of Governors has elected not to extend the contract of Executive Director Jeff Shevlin.

"After considering the Board's mission and objectives, the Board of Governors concluded that Mr. Shevlin was not the right fit to lead the Association going forward," Hallenbeck said. "The board felt that it was in the Association's best interest to sever our relationship and seek new leadership for the Association."

Rather than extend his contract in June, the Board opted to relieve Mr. Shevlin of his duties.

Hallenbeck said the ANA Board of Governors will discuss a succession plan during a scheduled telephone conference on April 30.

The American Numismatic Association is a congressionally chartered nonprofit educational organization dedicated to encouraging people to study and collect money and related items. The ANA helps its 27,000 members and the public discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of education and outreach programs, as well as its museum, library, publications, conventions and seminars. For more information, call 719-632-2646 or go to www.money.org.
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭
    After all this turmoil, I can't understand who (worth having) would want to lead this organization, or who would want to work with this board of governors.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After all this turmoil, I can't understand who (worth having) would want to lead this organization, or who would want to work with this board of governors. >>

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe just maybe its the board of directors that are the problem along with some of the staff!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After all this turmoil, I can't understand who (worth having) would want to lead this organization, or who would want to work with this board of governors. >>

The ANA might be better off trying to fill this position with a random smoe by placing a want ad on Craigslist imageimage
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The ANA might be better off trying to fill this position with a random smoe by placing a want ad on Craigslist imageimage >>

Craigslist might not want them. They have standards, you know.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might indicate why there were no takers on the membership give away thread the other day.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    STANDARDS ??
    Craigs list or the ANA?

maybe a poll
    neither
    both
    one
    who cares
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Craigslist might not want them. They have standards, you know. >>

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    This "Association" is trying very hard to convince me, a die hard member, to resign. What a joke.
  • Shocked with the news when it hit my inbox. It doesn't create a positive image of the ANA in the numismatic market place which could impact future giving (donations). Can't imagine why anyone of numismatic prominence would want this Executive Director role now. Nonetheless I still support the FUNCTIONS of the ANA through my life membership.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if ... just what if ... JS was not competent as the Executive Director (which doesn't mean his is a "bad" person)? Too many people equate "likeability" or "technical expertise" as equivalent to leadership ability. Just because somebody is a great numismatist does not mean they can lead the ANA.

Just to be clear ... I have no idea of the reason(s) for the non-renewal. I wish Jeff the best as all of my interactions with him in the past support him being a kind, generous man who cares deeply about the hobby.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After all this time I have no idea what the ANA really accomplishes that is extraordinary. >>

Well as you say most of their employees are good eggs. What do they do?

incredibly helpful when doing my research, the ANA has an awesome library yep free access to insane number of rare books
    grading classes yes a ton of primary educational resources at your discretion. Teachers who care and have experience in the business
    I hear they do a lot for YN's there'd be a lot less numismatists today if ANA wasn't around and before you reply, no I wasn't a YN just the son of a member who got me involved

Oh yeah they also produce the nation's largest convention / bourse floor annually. And they assist regional and local clubs in major ways.

And linking their name to NGC well that is a joke too.

Well I know there's a bevy of NGC fans on these boards so I don't have to defend this one. And by the way NGC is the one doing the linking there image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What if ... just what if ... JS was not competent as the Executive Director (which doesn't mean his is a "bad" person)? Too many people equate "likeability" or "technical expertise" as equivalent to leadership ability. Just because somebody is a great numismatist does not mean they can lead the ANA.

Just to be clear ... I have no idea of the reason(s) for the non-renewal. I wish Jeff the best as all of my interactions with him in the past support him being a kind, generous man who cares deeply about the hobby. >>

I completely agree, astrorat. Everybody was praising him as a person, but few, I believe, knew his business/leadership background (and perhaps simply believed his resume).
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like celebrity apprentice without the commercials, except I don't watch television. I just read about it online.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd suggest Laura image
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Waiting to hear from GREG as to what happened and WHY. Please be honest and fair to BOTH the membership and to Jeff in your remarks. Thanks, and hopefully you will not say "I can't comment". Steveimage
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Zoins,
    There is NO guarantee that Laura will win election from those ANA members who actually decide to vote. Steveimage
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

All ANA board maybe should be changed,----- their picker is broken!
    Do we need to wait for a 4th director dismisal and more lawsuits?

Hire an agency that can vette candidates to chose from .
    minimize board influences.

We need changes or this will happen a 4th time .

Krueger
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somehow, I think this press release could have been worded in a different, possibly better, way....

<< <i>All ANA board maybe should be changed,----- their picker is broken! >>

image The ANA Board can be changed every time there is an election. The ANA Board are the representatives that the membership voted in! (Okay ... this last "election" was a bit sad considering that everyone on the ballot was "voted" in since there were no "extra" candidates)
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Waiting to hear from GREG as to what happened and WHY. Please be honest and fair to BOTH the membership and to Jeff in your remarks. Thanks, and hopefully you will not say "I can't comment". Steveimage >>

I think expecting further explanation is unrealistic. Why would anyone to give this teeny little corner of the world special information? I'd expect that ANA by-laws specifically forbids any Director, if not the Board as a whole, from discussing employee relations publically.

All parties will show appropriate discretion. I doubt if either Jeff or the ANA Board is happy with this situation.

You can go for the schadenfreude/blood sport/whatever or you can consider lochNESS' post above.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just lame. Jeff was energized and working his tail off when I talked to him.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NEWS FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday, April 26, 2013

Telephone: 719-482-9872

E-mail: pr@money.org

ANA Board Elects Not To Extend Contract of Executive Director Jeff Shevlin

American Numismatic Association President Thomas Hallenbeck announced today that the ANA Board of Governors has elected not to extend the contract of Executive Director Jeff Shevlin.

"After considering the Board's mission and objectives, the Board of Governors concluded that Mr. Shevlin was not the right fit to lead the Association going forward," Hallenbeck said. "The board felt that it was in the Association's best interest to sever our relationship and seek new leadership for the Association."

Rather than extend his contract in June, the Board opted to relieve Mr. Shevlin of his duties.

Hallenbeck said the ANA Board of Governors will discuss a succession plan during a scheduled telephone conference on April 30.

The American Numismatic Association is a congressionally chartered nonprofit educational organization dedicated to encouraging people to study and collect money and related items. The ANA helps its 27,000 members and the public discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of education and outreach programs, as well as its museum, library, publications, conventions and seminars. For more information, call 719-632-2646 or go to www.money.org. >>

WTH is going on there??

"not the right fit to lead the Association"???

Seems to me that the ANA "Board of Governor's" wants to "lead" the Association!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANA Executive Director - the hardest-to-keep job in coins

Only one guy has survived over the past 15 years.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • GregLGregL Posts: 470

<< <i>Waiting to hear from GREG as to what happened and WHY. Please be honest and fair to BOTH the membership and to Jeff in your remarks. Thanks, and hopefully you will not say "I can't comment". Steveimage >>

This is a personnel matter upon which I cannot comment further. All questions should be directed to ANA Legal Counsel Hollie Wieland at (970) 945-2261 or counsel@money.org.

I know you don't like that answer... but I'm sorry that's all I can say.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.

Just a factual reply. There is significant turnover on the ANA board from election to election.

Only two people (out of nine) were on the 2001-2003 board that hired Cipoletti and the 2007-2009 board which dismissed him.

Only three (out of nine) were on the 2007-2009 board which hired Shepherd and the 2011-2013 board which dismissed him.

Only one person was on all three of those board.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

This is a personnel matter upon which I cannot comment further. All questions should be directed to ANA Legal Counsel Hollie Wieland at (970) 945-2261 or counsel@money.org.

Greg >>

How much longer will he be director?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

<< <i>Seems to me that the ANA "Board of Governor's" wants to "lead" the Association! >>

And I think that is where there is a great misunderstanding. The ANA Board does lead the organization, not the ED. The ED serves at the pleasure of the Board, not the other way around. The Board is responsible for the direction of the Association. The ED implements Board policy.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure seems that the board has no clue what they want. Jeff has been an excellent ambassador for the hobby and worked hard to improve issues he inherited. It will be the ANA's loss and it's about time to vote no on incumbent governors.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Just a factual reply. There is significant turnover on the ANA board from election to election.

Only two people (out of nine) were on the 2001-2003 board that hired Cipoletti and the 2007-2009 board which dismissed him.

Only three (out of nine) were on the 2007-2009 board which hired Shepherd and the 2011-2013 board which dismissed him. >>

Let's hope that NONE of those Board members who hired Shevlin is around after 2013, though sadly, I don't expect that to be the case.

BTW, I have absolutely no personal animosity toward Shevlin. He is a nice, personable guy. I just thought it painfully obvious (to me at least) that he wasn't right to lead the ANA.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Only three (out of nine) were on the 2007-2009 board which hired Shepherd and the 2011-2013 board which dismissed him. >>

Let's hope that NONE of those Board members who hired Shevlin is around after 2013, though sadly, I don't expect that to be the case.

BTW, I have absolutely no personal animosity toward Shevlin. He is a nice, personable guy. I just thought it painfully obvious (to me at least) that he wasn't right to lead the ANA. >>

I'm curious about your animosity towards me and the other board members....

Greg
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the ANA should hire Laura Sperber to be Executive Director. She would straighten things out with her firm leadership style.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    What the hell is wrong with this organization? It's at the point now where the ANA is considered by a great many collectors and numismatists as a bad joke.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Can someone please upload a musical parody to the Queen song with the title of this thread. WOW!
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sound a great deal like the last time a director was let go. Great opportunity for rumor and supposition. No way to run a hobby oriented, education organization
  • IT's a disgrace what the A.N.A. has failed to become. They have a long long way to go to gain me back as a member.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IT's a disgrace what the A.N.A. has failed to become. They have a long long way to go to gain me back as a member. >>

I've been an ANA member for 33 years and I may not renew my membership. This organization seems quite disfunctional.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Only three (out of nine) were on the 2007-2009 board which hired Shepherd and the 2011-2013 board which dismissed him.

Only one person was on all three of those board.

Greg >>

Which person is that ?
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago our local coin club received a packet in the mail from the ANA asking them to join as a club. When our local president asked for opinions I talked about some of the great things the ANA does for young numismatists and also that the ANA works to promote coin collecting in general. I also explained that our local club spends more than the ANA membership on local charities every year that have nothing to do with numismatics.

The next 4 or 5 people who spoke talked about all the political B.S. that has gone on over the years with the ANA. They had history going back 30 years that I didn't even know about. Needless to say, when it was put to a vote, no one but me voted to join. Looking back, I guess they were right. Until the ANA cleans up its act and is able to manage its own house without all the politics it doesn't really make sense to be a member. I let my membership expire about 2 years ago and haven't looked back since then.

People are just fed up with the apathy and apparent incompetence.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Jeff was a very competent leader and would have improved the ANA, had he been allowed to continue on.
    Maybe he can run to be on the Board of Directors ?

It seems something rotten is going on ?

Was there ever a full accounting of ANA assets pre-Cipoletti ?
    And are all those assets accounted for now ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply ludicrous.... It begins to appear that the problem is with the board.....Cheers, RickO
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seems to me that the ANA "Board of Governor's" wants to "lead" the Association! >>

And I think that is where there is a great misunderstanding. The ANA Board does lead the organization, not the ED. The ED serves at the pleasure of the Board, not the other way around. The Board is responsible for the direction of the Association. The ED implements Board policy. >>

To me, this is one of the ANA's major failings. While this may be factually correct, it is NOT the way
    a large organization should be run. Boards should set long-term policy, not day-to-day operations.
    Boards should not have this type of turnaround. For that matter, having the members elect a board
    every two years is almost a guarantee that there will be turmoil within the organization.

While I do not know the details of this "firing" I am quite certain that the board is mostly to blame, not
    Mr. Shevlin.
  • CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>I believe Jeff was a very competent leader and would have improved the ANA, had he been allowed to continue on.

And are all those assets accounted for now ? >>

I read a lot of “Monday Morning Quarterbacks” in this thread about questioning why the Board of Governors are looking for a new ANA Executive Director, but I also notice that none of them are willing to put forth their name and run for election. image

I prefer to believe that the Board of Governors acted with consent / advice of council in the best interest of the organization.

I have no skin in this issue but will give the benefit of the doubt to the elected officials until it can be proven that they acted improperly.

I guess there will always be a small percentage of “doers” and the rest just like “wild speculation” with or mostly without facts. image

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean come on. This is a hobby of collectors with fairly basic goals. How hard can it be to figure out what's best for today's hobby and then implement it?
    It doesn't matter what the reasons for multiple failures have been....just that there have been multiple failures. Time to call a plumber.

Organizations like PCGS, NGC, ICTA, PNG, CAC, ANACS, etc. have figured things out in their individual niches. Why can't the ANA?

Exec director job description - there may not be anyone in the country that meets these reqs
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the ANA looking for a coin oriented, marketing oriented or an Accountant/CPA oriented Executive Director?

Certainly hoping that the ANA is not once again looking for an Attorney oriented Executive Director.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the ANA needs a reality TV show

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe Jeff was a very competent leader and would have improved the ANA, had he been allowed to continue on.

And are all those assets accounted for now ? >>

I read a lot of “Monday Morning Quarterbacks” in this thread about questioning why the Board of Governors are looking for a new ANA Executive Director, but I also notice that none of them are willing to put forth their name and run for election. image

I prefer to believe that the Board of Governors acted with consent / advice of council in the best interest of the organization.

I have no skin in this issue but will give the benefit of the doubt to the elected officials until it can be proven that they acted improperly.

I guess there will always be a small percentage of “doers” and the rest just like “wild speculation” with or mostly without facts. image >>

Sounds like you would be the perfect candidate to toss your hat in the ring during the next election image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

BTW, I have absolutely no personal animosity toward Shevlin. He is a nice, personable guy. I just thought it painfully obvious (to me at least) that he wasn't right to lead the ANA. >>

I'm curious about your animosity towards me and the other board members....

Greg >>

You have a professional disclaimer after your "professional" title, and mum's the word for you. Is the ANA a professional organization of sheeple?
    Is this hobby/business corrupt on many levels. Why is their a new "CAC" designation on PCGS coins? Wasn't a "certification" good enough, the first time? What is up with the avocation of numismatics, Greg?
  • CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>Sounds like you would be the perfect candidate to toss your hat in the ring during the next election image >>

Probably a 16 year old is too young image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file