Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another ANA Executive Director bites the dust...

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds to me like the whole organization could benefit from a good housecreaning. >>

Is that anything like a good housecleaning?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sounds to me like the whole organization could benefit from a good housecreaning. >>

Is that anything like a good housecleaning? >>

Yep.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff relocated from California, bought a home in Colorado Springs, and his wife quit her job and gave up her retirement benefits in order to make Jeff’s appointment a success. The board wanted to see that to believe that Jeff was serious about making his appointment work. To be terminated in less than a year without the board making an effort to uphold their side of the commitment will make it difficult to convince the next potential hire that the ANA is serious about meeting its commitments.

Am I the only one who thinks that's messed up?
    Didn't he have an employment contract of some kind?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    I don't think the way they announced the non-renewal of the contract was done in a professional way. This business of a good fit should not be part of the announcement/press release.

The way it is done is to simply state that there as a mutual decision not to renew the contract, and wish him the best of luck in the future.

This stuff about a bad fit or poor fit or whatever does not belowng in the announcement.

Just sounds amaturish (sp?).

Max
  • Options
    GregLGregL Posts: 470

<< <i>Jeff relocated from California, bought a home in Colorado Springs, and his wife quit her job and gave up her retirement benefits in order to make Jeff’s appointment a success. The board wanted to see that to believe that Jeff was serious about making his appointment work. To be terminated in less than a year without the board making an effort to uphold their side of the commitment will make it difficult to convince the next potential hire that the ANA is serious about meeting its commitments.

Didn't he have an employment contract of some kind? >>

One thing I think people need to be aware of is that Jeff indicated to the Board -- before he was offered the Executive Director position -- was that he was planning on moving to Colorado Springs regardless of if he got the job or not.

Regarding if there was a contract, if you read the ANA press release, it was stated that the ANA Board elected not to renew his contract. So, there was a contract and that contract was followed.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>

<< <i>Ah, the "throw the bums out" rhetoric begins again. While I am sure you are sincere, please explain what you mean by "an independent accounting" of the ANA. An independent accounting of what? What is the ANA doing that warrants a "full review?" What shenanigans? Rather than political campaigning and posturing, why not simply state the questions you think the ANA should answer? >>

An independent accounting is being used as a verb in the context of "regarding." Accounting the full review in this context is the same as saying "regarding a full review." I apologize... it's spending too much time writing documents for the government that changes my writing style! image

When one executive director is dismissed, you can say it was a problem with that person. When a second one is dismissed, it might be called an aberration. When a third is dismissed, it represents a pattern. There is a pattern from Cippoletti to Shepherd to Shevlin. We have an idea of what happened to Cippoletti because that case has come and gone. Shepherd's case is still in court and I am sure there's more than meets the eye. I don't know what Jeff Shevlin is going to do, but he's the third in a row. In fact, if you go back 16 years, SIX executive directors have been fired during that time. The only one not fired was Ed Rochette.

Are you not curious as to why three executive directors in a row have been fired? I am. What about the record of six in the last 16 years? If we want to be fair, one of the "fired" executive directors was an interim executive director but was asked to leave before the next ED was hired. Doesn't this sound problematic to you? It does to me!

I want a review of the operations of the ANA headquarters in Colorado Springs. I want to know what people are doing, producing, and what value they are producing for the ANA. I want to know if they are working with the executive director or against the executive director. I also want to know if there might be patronage jobs that may lead to a host of other problems, which is why the executive directors get fired.

BTW: If you remember the stories surrounding Larry Shepherd's firing, there was an allegation that he gave his girl friend a job at the ANA. There were additional rumblings said about this with some unsubstantiated information. Shepherd answered saying that he did nothing wrong then stopped talking, probably on the advice of counsel. Are there similar relationships that could be working against the organization?

For that matter, what is the board's involvement? Is the board micro-managing the organization or are they setting policies and letting the executive director do his job. Not long ago, there was a press release announcing that the board was hiring a firm to conduct a 360-review of Shevlin's job. This was due May 1 yet the firing came before May 1. Was the review completed? Was the review part of the decision? Was the review tainted by management decisions, the board, or any potential interactions or communications outside of normal channels?

I want the management structure of the headquarters review.
    I want the management structure of how the board interacts with the headquarters and staff reviewed.
    I want to know if the employment policies of the headquarters are adequate (they were alleged not to be regarding Larry Shepherd) or need refinement.
    I want to know if something is interfering with the executive director's ability to do the job that needs to be explicitly stated in the ANA by-laws not to do that any more.
    I want to know if something happened during the term of Shepherd and Shevlin that might have been in violation of employment laws that caused their respective situations to get so bad that the board felt they had to fire both gentlemen.

All it takes is a simple majority to remove an executive director or enact any motion. All the board needs are 5 members who will work to make the headquarters more transparent to the organization and to stop whatever it is that affect Shepherd and Shevlin because I find it difficult to believe, given the public evidence, that after an extensive interview process that both were fired within two years of each other.

Think of it like a medial problem. The patient died, now we have to do the autopsy to determine why so we can learn to do better next time. It will take five board members to vote to allow the autopsy. Will those five votes come from the current board who voted Shepherd and Shevlin out? Let's let the current board put it to a vote and see who votes no. They will be the ones who the ANA members will have to worry about in the future.

BTW: I am fully aware that if proven wrong this could hurt me as a candidate. I am willing to take that chance for the benefit of the ANA.

Scott >>

After reading this, you have convinced me not to vote for you. image

There are “doers” and “wanters” ….. after reading all the “I wants”, speculation, and fantasy theory put forth, you are not one that I want to see administrating our organization.

A true leader of an organization will answer question when he/she can, nurture the organization, criticize in private, praise in public, address the issues when and where needed (at a Board Meeting) and not sling mud for one’s personal self gain during an election. image

Now, as far as the “pattern” you site in reference to Cippoletti, Shepherd to Shevlin, it does not hold up to scrutiny. Has it not been established that the Board had cause to terminate Cippoletti? The jury is still out if the Board had cause to terminate Shepherd. Shevlin was not terminated; his contract was just not renewed. Where is the “pattern”? image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Bill Hyder, I'm glad you chose to come to this board and express your opinions. I'm also glad that Greg has been here since he became a board member. We, who are just regular ANA members can only react to what we are told by the leadership of the organization. Bill, I have no idea if Jeff moved to Colorado Springs in order to enhance his possibility of getting the ED job or, as Greg Lyons said, Jeff was coming to Colorado Springs whether he got the job or not. Fact is, if Bill had not made his comment here, I'm sure Greg would NOT have made his comment. Someone said that a large percentage of the board meetings are in executive session. I don't know if that is true or not, but I am sure that most of the "juicy" information that regular members would like to know more about are involving personnel matters, legal matters and contracts. One more thing that Bill sort of said was that if you are not an ANA member now, you should join so you can vote for change. If you join the ANA now you will NOT be able to vote in this June's election. You will have to wait until June, 2015 according to the Bylaws. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know if that is true or not, but I am sure that most of the "juicy" information that regular members would like to know more about are involving personnel matters, legal matters and contracts. >>

That is probably the most true statement in this thread.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Jeff relocated from California, bought a home in Colorado Springs, and his wife quit her job and gave up her retirement benefits in order to make Jeff’s appointment a success. The board wanted to see that to believe that Jeff was serious about making his appointment work. To be terminated in less than a year without the board making an effort to uphold their side of the commitment will make it difficult to convince the next potential hire that the ANA is serious about meeting its commitments.

One thing I think people need to be aware of is that Jeff indicated to the Board -- before he was offered the Executive Director position -- was that he was planning on moving to Colorado Springs regardless of if he got the job or not.

Regarding if there was a contract, if you read the ANA press release, it was stated that the ANA Board elected not to renew his contract. So, there was a contract and that contract was followed.

Greg >>

So when was his contract going to renew? Wouldnt he work until that end date? Instead it seems like he is no longer with the ANA. Unless the contract was for 10 months something seems off.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BsktmkrBsktmkr Posts: 30 ✭✭
    On June 6, 2012, Steve Roach wrote in a Coin World editorial:

" For the sake of its nearly 28,000 members and the coin hobby in general, one hopes that the American Numismatic Association Board of Governors will give new executive director Jeff Shevlin the tools to succeed and help the ANA fulfill its mandate to educate and help people of all ages collect and study money.

It’s a tough job to do well, and an even tougher job to keep. As ANA governor and executive search committee chair Wendell Wolka said at a May 11 open session of the ANA Board, the committee’s goal was to “make sure this one takes.” Wolka added, “We can’t afford to have three in a row.” This referenced the fact that the ANA has a history of firing its executive directors and getting tangled in the aftermath."

We now have three in a row and the third Executive Director lasted eight months because he did not fit. The board said they were going to take steps to make sure the appointment worked and one of those steps was to seek professional assistance in developing a positive working relationship. I have not seen any summary of board minutes (I no longer see board minutes on the ANA website at all) published in the Numismatist that indicate the board ever took action to follow through on its commitment. The fact is this board has terminated two of the last three executive directors, one of which this board hired. The board said their first termination was a unanimous vote. Was the current vote unanimous and if not, what was the vote and how did the board members vote. That is not confidential information and this board set the precedent in telling us how they voted last time. I am also curious as to why a management consultant was not hired if someone felt the fit was not right. Why not try to fix it first as the board promised last May?

Again, my concern is that we now have an even deeper hole to climb out of to re-establish trust with the collector community. We lost nearly 5,000 members in the last few years. What will this board and the new board do to stop that from happening again and rebuild collector confidence in the ANA? The current board could start the process with a little frank talk about its responsibility without violating personnel confidentiality. Collectors can do their part by joining the ANA whether they can vote in this election or not. If you are not a member, you do not have a voice.
    ANA E-1059458
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Greg >>

How did you vote in the matter regarding the renewal of Jeff Shevlin's contract ?
  • Options

<< <i>How did you vote in the matter regarding the renewal of Jeff Shevlin's contract ? >>

I have a question into our legal counsel to find out if I am allowed to say.

Realize that when you take on a position of fiduciary responsibility to an organization such as the ANA, you are required to sign a confidentiality agreement. Items discussed in an executive session are confidential.

In this situation, the action taken during the executive session is now public. Based on that, I believe I should be able to state how I voted but I need to ensure that I am not going to be putting myself in a position to breech the confidentiality agreement I signed first.

Greg
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that Kim Kiick has been appointed as the new Executive Wedding. One of the few people left from when I worked there. I went to her wedding.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>I see that Kim Kiick has been appointed as the new Executive Wedding. One of the few people left from when I worked there. I went to her wedding.
    TD >>

I hope you mean Executive Director or did the ANA create a new possition?image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Ah, the "throw the bums out" rhetoric begins again. While I am sure you are sincere, please explain what you mean by "an independent accounting" of the ANA. An independent accounting of what? What is the ANA doing that warrants a "full review?" What shenanigans? Rather than political campaigning and posturing, why not simply state the questions you think the ANA should answer? >>

An independent accounting is being used as a verb in the context of "regarding." Accounting the full review in this context is the same as saying "regarding a full review." I apologize... it's spending too much time writing documents for the government that changes my writing style! image

When one executive director is dismissed, you can say it was a problem with that person. When a second one is dismissed, it might be called an aberration. When a third is dismissed, it represents a pattern. There is a pattern from Cippoletti to Shepherd to Shevlin. We have an idea of what happened to Cippoletti because that case has come and gone. Shepherd's case is still in court and I am sure there's more than meets the eye. I don't know what Jeff Shevlin is going to do, but he's the third in a row. In fact, if you go back 16 years, SIX executive directors have been fired during that time. The only one not fired was Ed Rochette.

Are you not curious as to why three executive directors in a row have been fired? I am. What about the record of six in the last 16 years? If we want to be fair, one of the "fired" executive directors was an interim executive director but was asked to leave before the next ED was hired. Doesn't this sound problematic to you? It does to me!

I want a review of the operations of the ANA headquarters in Colorado Springs. I want to know what people are doing, producing, and what value they are producing for the ANA. I want to know if they are working with the executive director or against the executive director. I also want to know if there might be patronage jobs that may lead to a host of other problems, which is why the executive directors get fired.

BTW: If you remember the stories surrounding Larry Shepherd's firing, there was an allegation that he gave his girl friend a job at the ANA. There were additional rumblings said about this with some unsubstantiated information. Shepherd answered saying that he did nothing wrong then stopped talking, probably on the advice of counsel. Are there similar relationships that could be working against the organization?

For that matter, what is the board's involvement? Is the board micro-managing the organization or are they setting policies and letting the executive director do his job. Not long ago, there was a press release announcing that the board was hiring a firm to conduct a 360-review of Shevlin's job. This was due May 1 yet the firing came before May 1. Was the review completed? Was the review part of the decision? Was the review tainted by management decisions, the board, or any potential interactions or communications outside of normal channels?

I want the management structure of the headquarters review.
    I want the management structure of how the board interacts with the headquarters and staff reviewed.
    I want to know if the employment policies of the headquarters are adequate (they were alleged not to be regarding Larry Shepherd) or need refinement.
    I want to know if something is interfering with the executive director's ability to do the job that needs to be explicitly stated in the ANA by-laws not to do that any more.
    I want to know if something happened during the term of Shepherd and Shevlin that might have been in violation of employment laws that caused their respective situations to get so bad that the board felt they had to fire both gentlemen.

All it takes is a simple majority to remove an executive director or enact any motion. All the board needs are 5 members who will work to make the headquarters more transparent to the organization and to stop whatever it is that affect Shepherd and Shevlin because I find it difficult to believe, given the public evidence, that after an extensive interview process that both were fired within two years of each other.

Think of it like a medial problem. The patient died, now we have to do the autopsy to determine why so we can learn to do better next time. It will take five board members to vote to allow the autopsy. Will those five votes come from the current board who voted Shepherd and Shevlin out? Let's let the current board put it to a vote and see who votes no. They will be the ones who the ANA members will have to worry about in the future.

BTW: I am fully aware that if proven wrong this could hurt me as a candidate. I am willing to take that chance for the benefit of the ANA.

Scott >>

After reading this, you have convinced me not to vote for you. image

There are “doers” and “wanters” ….. after reading all the “I wants”, speculation, and fantasy theory put forth, you are not one that I want to see administrating our organization.

A true leader of an organization will answer question when he/she can, nurture the organization, criticize in private, praise in public, address the issues when and where needed (at a Board Meeting) and not sling mud for one’s personal self gain during an election. image

Now, as far as the “pattern” you site in reference to Cippoletti, Shepherd to Shevlin, it does not hold up to scrutiny. Has it not been established that the Board had cause to terminate Cippoletti? The jury is still out if the Board had cause to terminate Shepherd. Shevlin was not terminated; his contract was just not renewed. Where is the “pattern”? image >>

Every "I want" listed seems to be a reasonable inquiry to me. I want to know all those things as well.

Was Shevlin relieved of duties immediately ?
    If the ANA pays out for the remaining months of his contract, and asks him to leave immediately, is that not the same thing as "firing" ?
    And, if so, then it certainly does fit the pattern.
  • Options

<< <i>After reading this, you have convinced me not to vote for you. image >>

There are “doers” and “wanters” ….. after reading all the “I wants”, speculation, and fantasy theory put forth, you are not one that I want to see administrating our organization. >>

That's Ok... i can respect opposing opinions.

<< <i>A true leader of an organization will answer question when he/she can, nurture the organization, criticize in private, praise in public, address the issues when and where needed (at a Board Meeting) and not sling mud for one’s personal self gain during an election. image >>

I have nothing to "gain" from the election other than trying to do what I think is right. I will continue to work with the Tech Committee either as a member of the committee or the Board. I will continue to scrutinize the work of the Board whether I am a member or not.

If I win, the ANA can use my knowledge in managing technology and multi-million dollar projects, information security, and the concern for being able to apply it to the next generation of the ANA membership (which only makes up 25-percent of current membership) to ensure the organization's survival. It will be easier on me and the organization to do this as a member of the board rather than a committee.

If I am not elected I will "gain" time by not attending the entire week at the World's Fair of Money. The project schedule is not kind to me this year and I had to be given permission to take the week off when others are not being allowed to do the same. So if you see me at the WFM with one earphone in my ear, I'm on the phone with my project and working.

<< <i>Now, as far as the “pattern” you site in reference to Cippoletti, Shepherd to Shevlin, it does not hold up to scrutiny. Has it not been established that the Board had cause to terminate Cippoletti? The jury is still out if the Board had cause to terminate Shepherd. Shevlin was not terminated; his contract was just not renewed. Where is the “pattern”? image >>

Call the ANA office and ask to speak to Shevlin. If they were responsive as they were to me when I called on Friday, they would tell you he had not been in the office for two weeks and will not be returning. A person whose contract is not renewed works the balance of the contract. A person who is fired is not allowed back into his office. The only question is whether the board is honoring the contract by paying Shevlin his salary.

And yes, I have been in a situation when a contract is ended but I work out the balance of the contract. It happens all the time with the federal government, usually when congress mucks with the budget, as they are apt to do recently. In fact, that's how I landed my current assignment... my last one with the DoD was cut because congress cut the budget. Stuff happens and you deal with it. But I worked to the end of every contract even after we were told it was going to be cut!

Scott
    Scott Barman for ANA Board of Governors http://vote4scott.info
    Coin Collectors Blog http://coinsblog.ws
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>After reading this, you have convinced me not to vote for you. image >>

There are “doers” and “wanters” ….. after reading all the “I wants”, speculation, and fantasy theory put forth, you are not one that I want to see administrating our organization. >>

That's Ok... i can respect opposing opinions.

<< <i>A true leader of an organization will answer question when he/she can, nurture the organization, criticize in private, praise in public, address the issues when and where needed (at a Board Meeting) and not sling mud for one’s personal self gain during an election. image >>

I have nothing to "gain" from the election other than trying to do what I think is right. I will continue to work with the Tech Committee either as a member of the committee or the Board. I will continue to scrutinize the work of the Board whether I am a member or not.

If I win, the ANA can use my knowledge in managing technology and multi-million dollar projects, information security, and the concern for being able to apply it to the next generation of the ANA membership (which only makes up 25-percent of current membership) to ensure the organization's survival. It will be easier on me and the organization to do this as a member of the board rather than a committee.

If I am not elected I will "gain" time by not attending the entire week at the World's Fair of Money. The project schedule is not kind to me this year and I had to be given permission to take the week off when others are not being allowed to do the same. So if you see me at the WFM with one earphone in my ear, I'm on the phone with my project and working.

<< <i>Now, as far as the “pattern” you site in reference to Cippoletti, Shepherd to Shevlin, it does not hold up to scrutiny. Has it not been established that the Board had cause to terminate Cippoletti? The jury is still out if the Board had cause to terminate Shepherd. Shevlin was not terminated; his contract was just not renewed. Where is the “pattern”? image >>

Call the ANA office and ask to speak to Shevlin. If they were responsive as they were to me when I called on Friday, they would tell you he had not been in the office for two weeks and will not be returning. A person whose contract is not renewed works the balance of the contract. A person who is fired is not allowed back into his office. The only question is whether the board is honoring the contract by paying Shevlin his salary.

And yes, I have been in a situation when a contract is ended but I work out the balance of the contract. It happens all the time with the federal government, usually when congress mucks with the budget, as they are apt to do recently. In fact, that's how I landed my current assignment... my last one with the DoD was cut because congress cut the budget. Stuff happens and you deal with it. But I worked to the end of every contract even after we were told it was going to be cut!

Scott >>

It seems clear he was fired.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The press release seemed pretty clear.... the Board opted to relieve Mr. Shevlin of his duties.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, Scott. You may have indeed been to Colorado Springs, but I worked on staff so I have a little understanding about the staff and what they do. Stop the vagaries of campaigning about "something is wrong and we must investigate" and state the specifics of your concerns. The organization needs leadership, not rhetoric. Step up and take the lead. >>

Lane: I am doing my best as someone not on the board and not privy to the internal workings. I cannot be any more specific because the Board and the folks at headquarters are not being specific with me. All I know is what I have said here. If you have more information that I should know about, feel free to drop me a note so that I can be educated in the matter.

BTW: Go back to my longer note (about 2 pages ago) and it has specific questions I want answered. I cannot get any more specific than what I wrote--unless you're trying to brow beat me because you are not in favor of my views? I don't mind that you're against what I am saying but please stop trying to characterize it as anything ore than wanting to do what is best for the ANA. I did mention that I could be wrong, but I won't know until the facts are made clear and I am willing to stake my candidacy on that. I said as much!

Scott >>

Scott ... I am not trying to brow beat you, I am just seeking clarity in what is driving the frenzy for an investigation. It's about substance over rhetoric. It's not personal, I would be asking the same of anyone who stated what you did on the Board.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeff relocated from California, bought a home in Colorado Springs, and his wife quit her job and gave up her retirement benefits in order to make Jeff’s appointment a success. The board wanted to see that to believe that Jeff was serious about making his appointment work. To be terminated in less than a year without the board making an effort to uphold their side of the commitment will make it difficult to convince the next potential hire that the ANA is serious about meeting its commitments. >>

IF this is true and Jeff was fulfilling his responsibilities, then the ANA Board acted unethically. I am sure it was legal, but nonetheless unethical. Somehow I think there is a little more to the story.

<< <i>They can hide behind a pretense that personnel matters are confidential, but they said publicly the reason for termination was that Jeff was “not the right fit.” What does that mean? A new board will take their seats in a few months. If Jeff is the right fit with that board, will he be rehired? If not, would you take a job knowing you could be terminated because the board did not think you “fit? “ >>

The Board is not "hiding behind a pretense" they are not hiding at all, it's the law. Personnel matters are not public.

<< <i>If you are not a member, join and add your voice to those wanting to see positive change for the Association and the hobby in general. >>

Same tune, different election.

<< <i> And, everyone should demand to know how individual incumbents voted. We have a right to know how they voted. If they do not want to reveal their vote, then they should not be re-elected, even if running unopposed. >>

Really? So if counsel tells them they are not allowed to disclose how they vote on certain matters, they should not be re-elected?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>

Greg >>

Sorry but I guess I'm not totally buying into this. Maybe when he said he was planning to come to CO anyway, he was being nice and perhaps pandering a bit, much like the new head coach of a sports team who talks about how great the new area is. I don't know of many people willing to relocate and lose a spouses' job, retirement and benefits simply because they were 'going to move there anyway'. That seems a bit illogical, not to mention financially unwise. I can't help but think the ANA job was the primary reason for the move. Also, most typical employment contracts aren't usually for anything less than a 1- year deal; since this only lasted 8 months the relatively clear indication is that he was terminated. One can only assume that the ANA has or will pay the balance of the contract so as to avoid litigation.

Just my thoughts.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I see that Kim Kiick has been appointed as the new Executive Wedding. One of the few people left from when I worked there. I went to her wedding.
    TD >>

I hope you mean Executive Director or did the ANA create a new possition?image >>

"D'oh!"

Still suffering from altitude sickness out here.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Realize that when you take on a position of fiduciary responsibility to an organization such as the ANA, you are required to sign a confidentiality agreement. Items discussed in an executive session are confidential.
    >>

Is it truly a *legal* requirement that you sign a confidentiality agreement in order to become a board member of a non-profit?

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

Is it truly a *legal* requirement that you sign a confidentiality agreement in order to become a board member of a non-profit? >>

No. Agreements like that are to keep dirty laundry from the eyes of the public.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

Is it truly a *legal* requirement that you sign a confidentiality agreement in order to become a board member of a non-profit? >>

No. Agreements like that are to keep dirty laundry from the eyes of the public. >>

Don't you mean the dues paying ANA members?

• Options

<< <i>Is it truly a *legal* requirement that you sign a confidentiality agreement in order to become a board member of a non-profit? >>

Well, breaching confidentiality could seriously undermine the organization. For example, what if I knew what one auction house was going to bid for the ANA Auction rights? Another company could bid $1 more rather than $250,000 more and the ANA would lose significant revenue.

Greg
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - wasn't it rather amazing the way that NGC just notched PCGS in an amazingly similar bid a few years back for the endorsement rights?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it truly a *legal* requirement that you sign a confidentiality agreement in order to become a board member of a non-profit? >>

Well, breaching confidentiality could seriously undermine the organization. For example, what if I knew what one auction house was going to bid for the ANA Auction rights? Another company could bid $1 more rather than $250,000 more and the ANA would lose significant revenue.

Greg >>

Would the Board refuse to seat a newly elected Board Member that refused to sign such a confidentiality agreement?

• Options

<< <i>Yes - wasn't it rather amazing the way that NGC just notched PCGS in an amazingly similar bid a few years back for the endorsement rights? >>

You said it, I didn't... I was thinking it though. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>Would the Board refuse to seat a newly elected Board Member that refused to sign such a confidentiality agreement? >>

I'm not sure if there's something in the by-laws saying that such an agreement must be signed in order to take office, the Board Member Code of Ethics requires that confidentiality be maintained. Both the Code of Ethics and By-Laws (Article IV, Section 5) provide for punishments including removal from office, membership suspension or expulsion from the ANA.

Greg
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel badly about Jeff losing his job. Ordinary prudence in major employment situations dictates that permanent relocation be postponed until some time has passed.

The Board doesn't have to make anyone sign a confidentiality agreement. I'm sure that one of the ANA By-Laws requires all Board members to maintain confidentiality on personnel matters. If you run for the Board and choose not to bother to know the By-Laws then you should expect to be expelled from the Board for this violation, which puts the entire organization at great legal hazard. Directors and Officers insurance covers honest mistakes. Deliberate malfeasance makes the offending individual legally liable for damages on a personal basis. This is really standard for organizations of this sort.

No, I haven't read the By-Laws, so If anyone who wants to contradict me if I'm wrong in this matter, please do. In the meanwhile, you have my provisional.image

edited to add: In my posting above, I failed to note that Greg has already quoted the relevant section of the By-Laws

edited to add: eliminate provisional, change disgust to contempt.

edited to add: a couple of years ago I was felt-out about running for the Board by two non-Board ANA members of some prestige and influence. I responded that I wasn't cut out for something like that because "I don't play well with others". Ya think? image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Like everything in life there is a balance needed between transparency and privacy. As an ANA member I don't believe I need to know every detail about the operations of the organization. But there does need to be enough openness that I can be comfortable too. Every business and organization I have interacted with, and there have been thousands in my prior career have had some degree of balance between confidentially versus openness.

Outwardly I thought Jeff, who is a personal friend, was doing a very positive job and was a good selection, but at least 6 of the 11 board members felt after 10 months into a 1 year contract, that something wasn't working or amiss. Was I disappointed with this news?

Yes.

But I will not make a snap judgement about this action either way. I hope to learn more down the road so I can better understand what happened and why, solely so I can make an informed decision for my vote.

All this aside, the ANA does some very good things, I know the staff works very hard and is dedicated, and I will continue to be involved, especially with Summer Seminar.

It's very easy to sit behind a keyboard and make flash judgements based upon the emotions of the moment when news comes out. That's not me and never will be.

I wish the new ED all the best. As a long-term staff member within the organization, who had some previous experience as acting ED, perhaps she will turn out to be an excellent choice.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    In the coming election, I wish there was another choice for board president.
    I for one should have paid more attention to the ANA issues and I should have submitted nominations for the board.
    But the nominations are now closed. Maybe next time. Apparently, any ANA voting member can submit nominations.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd copy the story about Ms. Kiick for those not familiar with her or her background:

Kim Kiick, a long-time senior manager and Director of Operations at the American Numismatic Association, has been named the Association’s new executive director, replacing Jeff Shevlin, whose contract was not renewed by the ANA Board of Governors.

Kiick, who began her ANA career in 1982, supervised day-to-day operations as interim executive director from August 2011 through June 2012. She previously served as executive assistant to Executive Director Edward C. Rochette, Associate Executive Director of Operations, Membership and IT Operations Manager and Senior Administrative Manager.
    ana kiick Veteran ANA employee Kim Kiick named Executive Director

“Kim has been an exemplary employee of the ANA for more than 30 years, and has been very effective in a leadership capacity for the past several years,” said ANA President Tom Hallenbeck. “I strongly believe that the leader the ANA has searched for during the past few years has been on staff all along. Kim is well respected by ANA staff, the Board of Governors and by virtually every member of the Association who has met her.

“She brings a valued perspective that only a seasoned employee can have, and has repeatedly demonstrated her leadership skills over the past several years,” said Hallenbeck. “Her experience includes working closely with eight different Boards over the past 15 years. She knows the organization inside and out and understands the Association’s educational mission.”

Kiick will assume her new responsibilities immediately.

“My goal is to work with the Board of Governors and our membership to build excitement for our hobby and ensure the growth and health of our Association,” Kiick said. “In 31 years, I’ve seen the best and worst of times and I hope the next few years will allow us to celebrate our collective successes. We need to embrace our member and dealer communities to assist us in preserving and growing the hobby and our Association.”

Hallenbeck emphasized that Kiick’s selection provides for a smooth transition with no disruption of ANA services and programs to collectors and dealers. “The New Orleans National Money Show, Summer Seminar, work on the new website, major projects in the ANA Library and Museum plus all the other excellent services and programs provided to members and nonmembers for the betterment of the hobby are moving forward as planned,” he said.

Hallenbeck also said the ANA is retaining Unlimited Potential, a Colorado Springs-based management consultant firm, to work with the Executive Director, Board of Governors and staff to increase the effectiveness of each and to improve communications and leadership skills.

Unlimited Potential President Beth Papiano outlined several deliverables to include, among other things:
    ◾Helping the new Executive Director understand her role as well as the Board’s expectations;
    ◾Working with the outgoing and incoming President to define short-term goals and priorities for the Executive Director;
    ◾Aligning the new Board, Executive Director and staff on ANA goals and roles and expectations for each in communication, self-assessment, prioritization and staff engagement processes;
    ◾Strategic planning, and
    ◾Developing organizational structure, skills and support systems to build a work culture that results in high performance and satisfaction.

“As a Board, we believe it is extremely important to create a highly effective team ensuring that the ANA’s governors, executive staff and staff are working effectively for the best interests of our members and the hobby,” Hallenbeck said. “I believe this commitment to increasing our effectiveness will benefit everyone in the hobby and keep us focused on accomplishing our goals.”

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know any more about this situation than the rest of you. I'd only like to add that if the ANA wanted to say any more about what led to the non-renewal of Jeff's contract, they would have said it. Same goes for Jeff, especially with respect to anything he may not like about what the ANA has stated publicly.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Even though I turned down the ANA's offer of 3 months salary to stay quiet, I have not had the time to get on this board and let everyone know how badly I was and am being treated by the ANA. The ANA board is trying to cover up the fact that they fired me without telling me what I did wrong or IF I did anything wrong. I called 6 board members just a week prior to being fired. One said I was doing a "great job" and the other 5 said I was doing a fine or good job. I have no idea why I was fired! There was a 4/5 split vote. Somehow two governors were swayed at the last minute. It has taken $4,000 in attorney fees to get the ANA to pay me my salary they owed me and they still owe me approximately $4,000. My attorney has tried to get the ANA's attorney to respond to him but she will not. Each time he tries it costs me more. Taking the position of Executive Director of the ANA has been a financial disaster for me. I was expected to relocate to Colorado Springs and since I received such positive feedback from everyone involved including President Tom Hallenbeck who stated at the ANA summer seminar "Meet the Executive Director" session that he hoped I "would stay in the position for at least 5 years", I believed I was on solid ground so I purchased a home in downtown Colorado Springs. It is on the market for sale, I put at least $40,000 in upgrades into the home that I will not recover. When the Real Estate costs and fees are added I will be behind at least $50,000 IF my home sells for full price. The ANA paid for my move out here but is not giving me one cent to move back and the cost was almost $20,000. I saw where Greg L mentioned that I said I was going to move to Colorado Springs anyway. That is an untrue statement. I mentioned that my wife and I had dreamed of someday buying something close to the ANA in the future when we are retired so we could spend our summers here enabling me to do library research at the ANA. My wife would not have quit her job a year and a half before she was able to retire to move here with me. The ANA board of governors has no concern for how they have negatively impacted me. I was saddened to learn that I was fired, and now suffering the negative repercussions of the Board’s incompetence and inconsistency in running this organization, an organization that has such great potential.
    Jeff Shevlin
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even though I turned down the ANA's offer of 3 months salary to stay quiet, I have not had the time to get on this board and let everyone know how badly I was and am being treated by the ANA. The ANA board is trying to cover up the fact that they fired me without telling me what I did wrong or IF I did anything wrong. I called 6 board members just a week prior to being fired. One said I was doing a "great job" and the other 5 said I was doing a fine or good job. I have no idea why I was fired! There was a 4/5 split vote. Somehow two governors were swayed at the last minute. It has taken $4,000 in attorney fees to get the ANA to pay me my salary they owed me and they still owe me approximately $4,000. My attorney has tried to get the ANA's attorney to respond to him but she will not. Each time he tries it costs me more. Taking the position of Executive Director of the ANA has been a financial disaster for me. I was expected to relocate to Colorado Springs and since I received such positive feedback from everyone involved including President Tom Hallenbeck who stated at the ANA summer seminar "Meet the Executive Director" session that he hoped I "would stay in the position for at least 5 years", I believed I was on solid ground so I purchased a home in downtown Colorado Springs. It is on the market for sale, I put at least $40,000 in upgrades into the home that I will not recover. When the Real Estate costs and fees are added I will be behind at least $50,000 IF my home sells for full price. The ANA paid for my move out here but is not giving me one cent to move back and the cost was almost $20,000. I saw where Greg L mentioned that I said I was going to move to Colorado Springs anyway. That is an untrue statement. I mentioned that my wife and I had dreamed of someday buying something close to the ANA in the future when we are retired so we could spend our summers here enabling me to do library research at the ANA. My wife would not have quit her job a year and a half before she was able to retire to move here with me. The ANA board of governors has no concern for how they have negatively impacted me. I was saddened to learn that I was fired, and now suffering the negative repercussions of the Board’s incompetence and inconsistency in running this organization, an organization that has such great potential. >>

Wow that really sucks Jeff. Best of luck to both you and your wife. It sounds like you're better off NOT being involved with them.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an ANA Life Member for over 40 years I am appalled at the way you have been treated. image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even though I turned down the ANA's offer of 3 months salary to stay quiet, I have not had the time to get on this board and let everyone know how badly I was and am being treated by the ANA. The ANA board is trying to cover up the fact that they fired me without telling me what I did wrong or IF I did anything wrong. I called 6 board members just a week prior to being fired. One said I was doing a "great job" and the other 5 said I was doing a fine or good job. I have no idea why I was fired! There was a 4/5 split vote. Somehow two governors were swayed at the last minute. It has taken $4,000 in attorney fees to get the ANA to pay me my salary they owed me and they still owe me approximately $4,000. My attorney has tried to get the ANA's attorney to respond to him but she will not. Each time he tries it costs me more. Taking the position of Executive Director of the ANA has been a financial disaster for me. I was expected to relocate to Colorado Springs and since I received such positive feedback from everyone involved including President Tom Hallenbeck who stated at the ANA summer seminar "Meet the Executive Director" session that he hoped I "would stay in the position for at least 5 years", I believed I was on solid ground so I purchased a home in downtown Colorado Springs. It is on the market for sale, I put at least $40,000 in upgrades into the home that I will not recover. When the Real Estate costs and fees are added I will be behind at least $50,000 IF my home sells for full price. The ANA paid for my move out here but is not giving me one cent to move back and the cost was almost $20,000. I saw where Greg L mentioned that I said I was going to move to Colorado Springs anyway. That is an untrue statement. I mentioned that my wife and I had dreamed of someday buying something close to the ANA in the future when we are retired so we could spend our summers here enabling me to do library research at the ANA. My wife would not have quit her job a year and a half before she was able to retire to move here with me. The ANA board of governors has no concern for how they have negatively impacted me. I was saddened to learn that I was fired, and now suffering the negative repercussions of the Board’s incompetence and inconsistency in running this organization, an organization that has such great potential. >>

As a business owner of twenty years, I am more likely to see the employer's point of view. With that said, based on what you have presented, you should be able to sue and win. Employment at will doesn't give the right to give misleading feedback causing an employee to move and then be terminated without cause.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, do you know who was on which side of the 5-4 vote? If not, do you have thoughts on the candidates for governor, seeing as how voting is commencing?
  • Options

It's because of nonsense like this I will not be renewing my membership after being a member for 33 years. The petty egos that rule the ANA is appalling and nauseating. I see no point in even voting in their upcoming election. I'm through with the ANA.

• Options
    Jeff -

First, welcome to the Forum!

As for the rest, I hope the truth comes out, and that things are resolved fairly, amicably and with minimal legal expense.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    It's because of nonsense like this I will not be renewing my membership after being a member for 33 years. The petty egos that rule the ANA is appalling and nauseating.

Perry, it sounds like you know more about what happened than even Jeff knows. Care to enlighten us?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

Mr. Shevlin,

I mentioned in another thread:

<< <i>If Shevlin was dismissed as Executive Director, I hope the Board of Governors were not completely stupid and gave him a reason for the dismissal. I mean according to the Bylaws of the ANA, The Board of Governors are limited on how they can remove the Executive Director and if it was not properly done then I question if it was done at all.

It appears the scope of authority of the Board of Governors for removal of the Executive Director is quite narrow as defined in the Bylaws under ARTICLE IV, Section 4(J):

Section 4. Board of Governors – Powers & Authority
    Subject to any limitations of the Federal Charter or these bylaws, all corporate powers shall be exercised by or be under the authority of the elected Board of Governors.
    The conduct of the business and affairs of the Association shall be controlled by the elected Board of Governors, and may be delegated by the Board to the Executive Director or such Officers as the Board deems appropriate to manage the affairs of the Association. Without limiting these general powers, it is expressly declared that the elected Board of Governors shall have all authority to:
    a) Set policy for the Association.
    b) Determine the time and place for holding conventions.
    c) Prescribe the form of the official election ballots.
    d) Rule on final disposition of any charges brought against a member.
    e) Appoint the Executive Director, subject to such limitations as may appear in the bylaws, and to prescribe such powers and duties for the Executive Director as shall be consistent with the Federal Charter and the bylaws.
    f) Prescribe such powers and duties for Elected Officials as shall be necessary and consistent with the Federal Charter and the bylaws.
    g) Appoint such other discretionary or Special Officers as the Board deems appropriate.
    h) Appoint the Audit Committee and its members.
    i) Fix the compensation of the Executive Director, non-elected Officers and/or Special Officers.
    j) Remove the Executive Director, any non-elected Officer and/or any Special Officer who does not or cannot meet the requirements of office or fails to perform the duties of his or her office.
    k) Exercise all authority granted elsewhere in these bylaws and such other authority as shall be consistent with the management of a nonprofit 501(c)(3) association.

I have highlighted part (J) to illustrate that the cause has to be either 1) does not meet the requirements of office, 2) can not meet the requirements of office or 3) failed to perform the duties of his office. If the Board of Governors can not document which one of the three items they used for termination, I bet that Mr. Shevlin will have a decent case to litigate. >>

It seems to me that the Board of Governors are going to have to “hang their hats” on something and if the hats falls to the floor then laugh all the way to the bank! image

You may want to speak with your attorney before making public comments image

Good luck!
    Caleb
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << After all this turmoil, I can't understand who (worth having) would want to lead this organization, or who would want to work with this board of governors. >>

<<I'd suggest Laura >>

I'd go along with this if she can score higher than 89% on the spelling test.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

<< <i>Mr. Shevlin,

I mentioned in another thread:

<< <i>If Shevlin was dismissed as Executive Director, I hope the Board of Governors were not completely stupid and gave him a reason for the dismissal. I mean according to the Bylaws of the ANA, The Board of Governors are limited on how they can remove the Executive Director and if it was not properly done then I question if it was done at all.

It appears the scope of authority of the Board of Governors for removal of the Executive Director is quite narrow as defined in the Bylaws under ARTICLE IV, Section 4(J):

Section 4. Board of Governors – Powers & Authority
    Subject to any limitations of the Federal Charter or these bylaws, all corporate powers shall be exercised by or be under the authority of the elected Board of Governors.
    The conduct of the business and affairs of the Association shall be controlled by the elected Board of Governors, and may be delegated by the Board to the Executive Director or such Officers as the Board deems appropriate to manage the affairs of the Association. Without limiting these general powers, it is expressly declared that the elected Board of Governors shall have all authority to:
    a) Set policy for the Association.
    b) Determine the time and place for holding conventions.
    c) Prescribe the form of the official election ballots.
    d) Rule on final disposition of any charges brought against a member.
    e) Appoint the Executive Director, subject to such limitations as may appear in the bylaws, and to prescribe such powers and duties for the Executive Director as shall be consistent with the Federal Charter and the bylaws.
    f) Prescribe such powers and duties for Elected Officials as shall be necessary and consistent with the Federal Charter and the bylaws.
    g) Appoint such other discretionary or Special Officers as the Board deems appropriate.
    h) Appoint the Audit Committee and its members.
    i) Fix the compensation of the Executive Director, non-elected Officers and/or Special Officers.
    j) Remove the Executive Director, any non-elected Officer and/or any Special Officer who does not or cannot meet the requirements of office or fails to perform the duties of his or her office.
    k) Exercise all authority granted elsewhere in these bylaws and such other authority as shall be consistent with the management of a nonprofit 501(c)(3) association.

I have highlighted part (J) to illustrate that the cause has to be either 1) does not meet the requirements of office, 2) can not meet the requirements of office or 3) failed to perform the duties of his office. If the Board of Governors can not document which one of the three items they used for termination, I bet that Mr. Shevlin will have a decent case to litigate. >>

It seems to me that the Board of Governors are going to have to “hang their hats” on something and if the hats falls to the floor then laugh all the way to the bank! image

You may want to speak with your attorney before making public comments image

Good luck!
    Caleb >>

The problem with your bold line is they have yet to say how anyone failed in their position. Then again only giving someone 9 months isnt really long enough so maybe that is how they made up a reason.
  • Options

<< <i><< After all this turmoil, I can't understand who (worth having) would want to lead this organization, or who would want to work with this board of governors. >>

<<I'd suggest Laura >>

I'd go along with this if she can score higher than 89% on the spelling test. >>

Been a while sine a irrelevant spelling comment was used on the boards.

• Options

<< <i>It's because of nonsense like this I will not be renewing my membership after being a member for 33 years. The petty egos that rule the ANA is appalling and nauseating.

Perry, it sounds like you know more about what happened than even Jeff knows. Care to enlighten us? >>

I only know what I've been reading here which is enough. Firing someone and not telling them why is chicken chit pure and simple. I'm sure the ANA won't miss me.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

Straight talk straight from the horse's mouth. Kudos to Jeff for going on record in his own words.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file