Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets / doubled die errors

Comments

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likewise, I have logged all my finds. The box codes are meaningless, only time and date matters.

$75 for the die cracked skeleton finger? Whoa, I'll have to take another look...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>Likewise, I have logged all my finds. The box codes are meaningless, only time and date matters.

$75 for the die cracked skeleton finger? Whoa, I'll have to take another look... >>

You can't miss it. If you had any, you would know.

It's a huge thin "lightning bolt" crack from the rim through the "A" of "States" into the field in front of lincoln.

It has a major crack on the obverse too.
  • Options
    Hi Onedollarnohollar
    Last week I won a LP2 box for $1.83 if you can believe that.
    I also won a LP3 box for 99 cents. on the same day.
    Just got lucky
    All the best
    Alan
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Onedollarnohollar
    Just got lucky
    All the best
    Alan >>

Those boxes are probably worth what you paid for them.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Onedollarnohollar
    Just got lucky
    All the best
    Alan >>

I guess that would all depend on if the shipping was free.
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Acan451...that is a fantastic price no matter what, but I am curious to know which date and time on the lp2 box you received. I hope you find something nice within.
  • Options
    waiting for reply from acan451. what date and time on the lp2 box?

One other note, are either PCGS or NGC comtemplating slabbing these with the errors designated in the near future since they are starting to be acknowledged in various publications? I certainly hope so
    because I really don't want to have them graded by Anacs only to have to turn around later and pay for re-slabbing by our host. If anyone that has interest in these also has influence with the powers that be,
    please get in their ear for me. Of course, I would only expect them to consider the "top ten or fifteen" major errors. Thanks Mr. Willis et al
  • Options
    The last I knew they were waiting for cherry pickers guide recognition.
  • Options

<< <i>One other note, are either PCGS or NGC comtemplating slabbing these with the errors designated in the near future since they are starting to be acknowledged in various publications? I certainly hope so >>

This is the response I got, directly from PCGS, to the same question: On April 28, 2011

Hello,

This is the response I received back from our variety expert:

“Once the variety is published in an updated copy of the CPG we will probably add it”

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you,

Chris Thomas
    PCGS - Collectors Universe
    800-477-8848

Then the question becomes; Worth the cost?

What does the service cost?
    The cost is $24 added to the level of service utilized. For example, if you chose an Economy service level ($14/coin) plus variety attribution, your grading fees would come to $38. Plus shipping

• Options
    The cost would be worth it on high mint state condition "best of" samples. Looking forward to this becoming a reality. I will certainly wait for PCGS to open the door on these.
  • Options

<< <i>I have them. I just don't have the ability to post the picture.

The crack is similar to the major crack below; except it runs through the "A" and is not as thick

Crack >>

There is a WDDR 013 in MS66 right now on ebay. It says stage 3. What are the stages that are going to be good coins to hold.

ebay item number 230783711392
  • Options

<< <i>There is a WDDR 013 in MS66 right now on ebay. It says stage 3. What are the stages that are going to be good coins to hold.

ebay item number 230783711392 >>

It costs a minimum of $15, plus about $10 shipping, for ANACS slab on this.

Hardly seems worth the time and expense, when the same seller has sold these varieties raw for $15.
  • Options
    For those of us who have been collecting these since the beginning and hoarding the keys (as they say) what would you estimate you have in ms67/68 sitting raw waiting for PCGS to get on board with

variety attribution? I agree with Papi and others who say that lesser grade samples may not warrant the expense of slabbing but the higher grade ones will eventually demand strong prices and would

definately be worth the expense. Again, I will wait until our hosts come around. I personally have in my collection at least two or three high MS samples of each of the "most desirable" errors, maybe more,

depending on whether or not grades are affected by rinse spotting that are so prevalent on these or if the grades are only affected by how much PMD (dings) are present on an individual coin.
  • Options

<< <i>For those of us who have been collecting these since the beginning and hoarding the keys (as they say) what would you estimate you have in ms67/68 sitting raw waiting for PCGS to get on board with variety attribution? I agree with Papi and others who say that lesser grade samples may not warrant the expense of slabbing but the higher grade ones will eventually demand strong prices and would definately be worth the expense. >>

As I reported back in March there were a few of high grade examples that went for high prices.

MS68 $499

MS67 $300 Pair
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For those of us who have been collecting these since the beginning and hoarding the keys (as they say) what would you estimate you have in ms67/68 sitting raw waiting for PCGS to get on board with

variety attribution? I agree with Papi and others who say that lesser grade samples may not warrant the expense of slabbing but the higher grade ones will eventually demand strong prices and would

definately be worth the expense. Again, I will wait until our hosts come around. I personally have in my collection at least two or three high MS samples of each of the "most desirable" errors, maybe more,

depending on whether or not grades are affected by rinse spotting that are so prevelant on these or if the grades are only affected by how much PMD (dings) are present on an individual coin. >>

Well, a 67 or 68 with PCGS is downright tough to say the least. There would be great value regardless of if there were no extra fingers or 10. image

For those trying to play the grading game and hoping for high grades with PCGS, I hope you have a lot of experience grading yourself and do not have too high of expectations. The grading plus attribution fee (once they recognize these) will be substantial. I could see one going under water if they get a bunch of 64/5s etc. I have seen a handful of ANACS grading 2009 FY and for the most part, I think their grading is fairly accurate. I am by no means saying a 67 with ANACS will be on par with PCGS, but if you can find a grading special at ANACS and send your best coins in, it almost makes sense to use them as a "screening service" so to speak. Say you get some 67s with ANACSs, you then weeded out your group and can send those best coins to PCGS. Likely you will have a bunch of 65/66s leftover and might not be worth sending them to PCGS but you still got them in an ANACS holder with the attribution. IF you sell your middle grade ANACS coins, you might recoup some costs and then some.

I am not sure how the math works out above, but it is a thought that keeps crossing my mind.
  • Options
    Now imagine Papi if those had been graded by PCGS. That's not a put down to Anacs grading standards just the perception that the general collecting world has regarding PCGS grading standards being the

tightest, most critical, and most accurate in the world. Even if it is just a perception that is what drives the bus when it comes to valuation. This again is why I wait patiently for Mr. Willis et al to push

the "Ok, let's do this!" button at the factory. image

Edited to add: Constantine you make a valid point. Not a bad idea. I just prefer to wait for PCGS and send in my best samples that I believe will pass muster in the grading room.
  • Options

<< <i>Now imagine Papi if those had been graded by PCGS. >>

I don't know that that is possible. Personally, I don't have experience with PCGS, but I've read that they are brutal on modern Lincoln cents.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now imagine Papi if those had been graded by PCGS. >>

I don't know that that is possible. Personally, I don't have experience with PCGS, but I've read that they are brutal on modern Lincoln cents. >>

Another thing one can do is send these in under your freebie 8 or whatever and just get them graded now, than when they start accepting these all you have to do is pay for the attributation and you'll get to see how they graded Before spending those fees. I went thru some of mine yesterday and thinking the next batch I send in to our host will just throw in a couple of these and see where the spots send the grades too.............Enjoy tom image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Thats a good idea Tom. Let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats a good idea Tom. Let us know how it turns out. >>

Well my next submission is ready to go but its a 3 crossovers and 4 regrades already in holders so if anyone else is submitting any raw coins soon maybe I could send them a couple of these? Also I still have the two you have given me from anacs : } Both MS66 Red. One is the wddr-002 the other is wddo-oo2 &wddr-006 Enjoy tom Thanks to pitboss I lost this one for awhile thought I would add it to this one for reference. The Big Thread With All The INFO
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Where's the original thread on the lp2 boxes
    I remember it being pretty big with a lot of good info.
    figglehorn
  • Options
    Look under "2009 Lincoln ddr thread"....that should get you there. That's the thread that got me going on these...a very in-"formative" thread....image
  • Options
    Hi Onedollarnohollar
    Thanks for the kind comment, on what I though was a real good buy
    I am getting them tomorrow and will let you know.
    Sorry for the late replay just been busy.
    All the best
    Alan
  • Options
    johnperk747johnperk747 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I have the following, are any of them with "good numbers" ???

3 LP1 (2@ 14:14 & 1@ 14:08) Dated: 03/13/09 9883
    3 LP2 (3 @ 9:45) Dated: 05/05/09 9883
    3 LP3 (3 @ 11:56) Dated: 08/05/09 9883
    3 LP4 (3 @ 8:14) Dated: 10/29/09 9778
    3 LP5 (3 @ 8:19) Dated: 04/14/10 9778

ALL MINT SEALED (WHITE BOX) Have no clue about the #’s but know some look at/for this information!
  • Options
    @johnperk...having the entire series of the bicentennial cents is in my opinion a good thing for the long term historical (numismatic) point of view. Obviously the only year that we will see four different reverse

designs. From my searches on the lp2 boxes and from what I've read from other searchers, the date of 5/5 isn't one of the key dates (but I've not personally searched that date). Perhaps someone else here has

opened that particular date and can let us know if anything special was found. The lp1 boxes are more desirable because the mint didn't produce as many boxes as the other series and they are sold for a premium

on Ebay. If you decide to crack one of your lp2 boxes you can go to John Wexler's website www.doubleddie.com to research what, if any, error coins you may come across. Good luck, and share with us if you

discover a treasure trove within! image
  • Options

<< <i>
    >>

You won't find anything of the "Top Ten" or "Best Of" in that date. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    >>

You won't find anything of the "Top Ten" or "Best Of" in that date. image >>

• Options
    If you want to know where to learn what dates are good, go to the thread that tells you. 2009 Lincoln ddr
  • Options
    Hi Onedollarnohollar
    Just received my box of LP2 # 9774- 10:46- 05/04/09
    I had ordered LP2 and LP3 from the seller, but because he was a little late shipping them out, he sent me LP1 and LP4.
    So in total it cost me, 2.89 plus a few dollars shipping forLP 1,2,3, and 4 Not a bad price at all.
    All the best
    Alan
  • Options
    Sounds like a great deal to me.
  • Options
    Wow Alan, you got a great deal. The lp1 box alone sells upwards of $45 on Ebay. Your lp2 box isn't one of the "cherry" dated boxes, but still has a value of at least $10 as a sealed box as are your lp3 and lp4's.

So I would say you scored big-time!
  • Options
    Thanks Guys
    I am very happy with what I got, it will go into storage for the next 10 years or so.
    Most of the sets I buy are for my grand kids, so who knows when they will be opened.
    All the best
    Alan
  • Options

<< <i>Interest has virtually disappeared.... and values are not likely to increase, actually, just the opposite. Cheers, RickO >>

• Options
    I tend to disagree with that statement.

I think there is still interest in these coins and it will increase once the CPG lists them.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I tend to disagree with that statement.

I think there is still interest in these coins and it will increase once the CPG lists them. >>

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    RickO...cheers to you too! You have been very consistent on all of the 2009 formative error threads. It's good to have an opinion that is contrary to the enthusiastic ones that normally are posted. It keeps a

nice balance in the conversation. Thanks for a different perspective! Just out of curiosity, are you sitting on any of these...JUST IN CASE?
  • Options
    I was bored the other day and decided to crack open a box (4/28 09:50) that I didn't think had much potential. I was surprised to find 10 WDDR-002 double thumb errors along with 6 die clash "catfish abe"

and about 15 minor boot to edge die crack varieties. Of course then I had to open a second box of the same date/time and there was a double thumb error right on the end of the roll, so I left it unopened.

Always fun to discover something unexpected. I hope you all have a great time in your future searches!
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Good for U ! Decisions,decisions,decisions! love when one finds an end roll like you did.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    I opened a 4/22/09 9774 12:41, because someone said they had found an error I knew not to be in LP2 boxes, but I figured what the heck.

I found a roll with a WDDR-008 on the end, so I left it sealed.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The lp1 box alone sells upwards of $45 on Ebay. >>

About half what it was going for a year ago.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

<< <i>I opened a 4/22/09 9774 12:41, because someone said they had found an error I knew not to be in LP2 boxes, but I figured what the heck.

I found a roll with a WDDR-008 on the end, so I left it sealed. >>

There is another box of 4/22 that just got listed on ebay.
  • Options
    You didn't snap it up Pitboss? What was the price? I just checked my log and I see I had opened one box of 4/22 - 10:26 am - 9774 and only found one WDDR-008 and nine

die cracks on the reverse that goes from the log to the edge at about 3 o'clock. I have enough 008's in my collection already so I won't pursue any more boxes that produced them. If anyone

does purchase this box however I'd love for them to share what they find!
  • Options
    4/29 box sells for $34.33

Prime date boxes appear to be rising in price
  • Options
    I saw that and was very surprised at what it went for.

Someone obviously knew that was a prime date and time.
  • Options
    I saw that too but thought it was too steep a price, especially for a seller with a total of 1 feedback. Good luck though for whomever did get it...should produce some WDDR-001's, 2's, 3's , lots of catfish abes, and

various minor die crack varieties in that time frame and date according to what my personal log shows. With any luck it's someone who posts here and will share.
  • Options

<< <i>4/29 box sells for $34.33

Prime date boxes appear to be rising in price >>

my records show:
    4/29 9883 8:36 yielded no varieties.
    4/29 9774 14:22 box yielded a WDDR-002 end roll (not opened)
    4/29 9774 14:22 box yielded a WDDR-003 end roll (not opened)

Best would be a few WDDR-002 sprinkled in there. Of the boxes I opened w/ WDDR-002's, I'm averaging 6 per roll.
  • Options
    Also, my best box (largest number of different varieties) had the following:

06 - WDDR-002
    10 - WDDR-003
    01 - WDDR-001
    04 - WDDR-010
    03 - Clashed Die "Catfish"
  • Options
    My best 4/29 box 10:33 am batch 9883 yielded (12) WDDR-001, (15) WDDR-002, (5) WDDR-003, and (9) WDDR-004's. That was the first box I ever opened for that date and could never even come

close to it again, even with the same date and close approximate times. 41 out of 50 were major errors.....THAT was one exciting roll to go through!
  • Options
    I had one roll like that also and it sure was fun going through it.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    100!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file