Home U.S. Coin Forum

Explain your handle

Comments

• ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    I've got a black cat named Clancy. One night I called him "Clankeye."
    I decided to steal it from him.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • It's my first and middle name. If you see a stujoe anywhere on the net, it is probably me since 1991 anyway. It just makes it easier for me to remember who I am. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Mine came from when I was in college. One of the girls that lived in the apartment across the hall gave my roommates and I nicknames and she called my Striker.
  • The name of my company, and my ebay handle. It's easy for people to remember and it works well for coins.

Ken
  • Mine is easy to figure....I just started collecting Bust Halfs, a great series, and thus, bust n half... And for the smart ones out there, no, I am not trying to be Mr. Tee. LOL!

Great topic all. Good to know where are fellow memebers are from and how they got here. Great group of people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

-Q
    Starting a Bust Half Collection and looking for good advice image
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    FrattLaw - in high school I played QB and my italian last name (Fattorosi) was too difficult for the the coaches to pronounce, and there was another QB (Fratterolo) a couple years ahead of em who the coaches always thought was my older brother, so they just calling me Fratt for short. It got me in good with the coaches so who was I to correct someone who could make me do sprints til 9pm.

Law - kinda obvious, I'm a lawyer.

Its also been every email address and handle I've used on the internet.
  • My DJ name for the past few years has been DJ CyPHeR (3 CD's out on Liquid Label (*cough* purchase them *cough*)). Was in a nightclub one night spinning and someone was yelling at me and it sounded like cypher and all night I tried to figure out what they were saying and cypher just kept comin up in my mind and I liked it so it kinda stuck. image

Jake
  • I have all ways been into the the historical era of the 1600's to the 1890's and collected the artifacts, coins and such from the Golden age of Pirates, thus MR.Pirate
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live(d) in the East Village section of Manhattan. I don't really prowl around the neighborhood -- please don't call the cops on me! -- but it sounded decent enough. (BTW, I am NOT the ``evil prowler.'')

Boring, I know...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• zennyzenny Posts: 1,547 ✭✭
    the old first letter of last name transposed with first letter of first name trick. although i have been called zenny since i was a little kid, it has often been brought to my attention that it is also arguably descriptive of my personality. and yes, as a group answer to all who have asked, the icon is platypus, the coolest of the cool creatures, to which i aspire, of course.

still trying to figure out that confounded "dpoole."

• i'm brian from san jose.

my wife is ginabug. her name is regina and her childhood nickname was ginabug.
    My detecting page

currently putting together a collection of world and US silver dollars of the 1800's
    My World dollar collectionJust updated 3--03
  • One of my college friends gave me a book for graduation "King Matt the First" by Janusz Korczak. And my name's Matt ... so there
  • Born in 1956, like collecting Washington Quarters. image)
  • dakradakra Posts: 513
    Da(vid)Kra(chenfels) it is short and easy and I don't have an easy last name.
  • I have always been enamored with the mythological creature, the griffin (don't ask me why). In military parlance, the number six equates to the unit commander. The combination of the two just has a nice ring to it (or maybe I subconsciously wish to be some kind of beastmaster???!!!).
    Will Rossman
    Peak Numismatics
    Monument, CO
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭
    Happy collecting. Glad to be a part of the boards!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • RLinnRLinn Posts: 596
    Love this thread! One of the few long ones I've read all the way through.

RLinn is the name combination thing that was required for certain Gulf War command post security clearances back in my Air Force days at the Pentagon. The name thing was obvious; why I use it wasn't. Actually, I'm too slow to remember anything more complex.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.

• No one can defeat me at Spades.

• i have 2 dogs, both are sharpeis.
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    "ANACONDA" - I chose it because the name of my coin business is Anaconda Rare Coins and Currency. I chose "Anaconda" Rare Coins and Currency because:

1) it is memorable (you might forget what "U.S. Coins" or "The Coin Shop" is all about but you probably would be less likely to forget what "Anaconda Rare Coins and Currency" is all about)

2) I am like an anaconda when it comes to being tenacious - you get a large anaconda wrapped around you, it's gonna stay wrapped around you; I've owned 'em and I know -- when I buy a coin, I don't mind getting a very firm grip on it and keeping it for a long time to sell it for what it is truly worth; I buy coins that I like and having them hang around is no problem. (By the same token, I will cut some people a good deal just because I can and want to.)

3) Some anaconda's are really big - I own the skin of one that is every inch of 20 feet long; some of the coins I own are "really big"; I have no problem spending over $50,000 for a "big" coin if it is one I really want.

4) and finally, it starts with an "A" as does my name and that of my two daughters, Analiese and Alexandra

adrian
  • "chitown"

Chicago born & bred.

JL
    Can anyone spare some change??
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Posts: 2,697
    ccrdragon -

ccr - my initials

dragon - I collect dragons in all forms (including coins) so it seemed natural
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • I've been collecting coins since 1989.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Mines about as dumb as it gets too...........

Ga since I live in Georgia
    CoinNewbie since I didn't(and still don't) know much about coins when I registered. Gotta find a way to change it without losing my post count.
    imageimage

• DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Neat thread. Post on the Registry Forum mostly. But found this very interesting.

DAM

First initial, Middle initial, Last initial.

As a boy, before I knew better, I thought my initials were a bad word.

Simple and true.

Dan
    Dan
  • This is a an easy one. I am a comic book collector as well, and one of my favorite characters is Superman. When I began selling some comics on Ebay I needed a catchy handle so KRYPTONITECOMICS was born!!!image
  • My name is Andrew, and for some strange reason my friends started calling me Android.
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• A Co-worker started calling me this years ago, being how much effort I spent talking up the hobby.
    Michael
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • This has been my internet handle since 1998.

It is my name, and my birth date in numbers.

Go figure.imageimage

Hey GaCoinNewbee, where do you live in GA? I live in Quitman, just west of Valdosta.

O yeh, heres my car. Not a close pic(gonna have to get a digital shot one of these days)

Better pic of me on the couch. YAY!!!!
    You want fries with that?
  • bump.

Did we miss anyone?

Robert
  • richrich Posts: 364
    This is great.I've collected U.S. Coins off and on for about 40 yearsI'm 50.But my main addiction is in Error Collecting.My first error was a clipped Washington. Oh Yeah, my name is Richard

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Hi rich. image

I suppose you would be the 'go man' to ask about what minst strikes are valuable, and which ones are just junk.

Any suggestions?
    Because I saw a new state quarter that was Ohio I believe(the space suit one), and he had a leg missing, and some letters were gone.
    Ah, heres the link, someone already picked it up for $10.
    The Leg-less Astronaut

Robert
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of us enjoy this thread. This'll give the new guys a chance at it.

ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • I raise rottweiler dogs,hence rottsimage
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle." Plato

....... bob**rgte**
  • What started as a hobby growing up in Kansas has turned into a career. I chase storms, and I have some dandy pictures of tornados and their destruction. I got into coin collecting after finding a PCGS slab stuck in a tree which was the result of a tornado near Andover in 1991. Wish I had a pic of that. Hopefully to soon work for the NWS so I can get my hands on a DOW.
    I belong to the worlds most elite athletic club. It cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars just to get in and initiation was hell. On top of all that, monthly dues runs about $3000.
  • when I was preteen, a playmate couldn't pronounce my given name, Kenyon so he could only say kejun... I liked it..
    Ken
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    StormChaser: Most interesting how did the slab and the coin survive their
    little trip and their extraction? Details?
    Tempus fugit.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord Marcovan (Baron of Duntanemoor and the Letroshan Isles, Second High Chancellor to His Royal Highness Malekarn I of Veronia) was a character I created in my brief attempts at fictional writing. I have a few fragmentary manuscripts stuck in a drawer somewhere, where they have been for a little over a decade. The book got nowhere fast, as my writing was rather sophomoric, my plots thin, and my characters (with a few exceptions) weak and two-dimensional.

Lord Marcovan, my favorite of my created characters, however, has survived as a sort of trademark.

Besides, I secretly love it when people call me "Lordy". Bwahahaha. image

Rob0126: I am also a Rob (last name: Shinnick), I also live in GA (Brunswick), 01/26 was a significant date in my life (though not my birthday; that's 12/28), and until I shaved my mustache off recently, I would say there was some physical resemblance between the two of us, judging from your picture (some of me are on my eBay page, link below). Oh, and I went to Valdosta State.

Spooky, huh? imageimage

Good thread, Petescorner. We could title it Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The Others' ID's, But Were Afraid To Ask. image It cleared up a few questions.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • My dad was a collector (an amasser, really). I'm in charge of learning all I can about his coins so that we can sell them.

"Coindaughter" just seemed to fit!
  • Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Lifelong Nascar fan. Favorite driver Ward Burton, sponsored by CATerpillar with the number 22 on the car.
    Not to mention, I loved the book.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • After all the entries in this interesting thread I felt I should chime in. My handle is just the generic First initial (for Dan), Second initlal (for Ray), and last name. Pretty simple. I'm a dentist in the US Air Force presently, a military brat growing up and spent over 16 years in Japan. My 9 year old daughter likes the cartoon SpongeBob thus the present icon.

Sincerely, Dan
    Dan

<< <i>(BTW, I am NOT the "evil prowler.'') >>

EVillageProwler, I never called you that. It was "Evil Age Prowler". LOL. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • goyankeez is my aol name (goyankeez@aol.com). When I first signed up for AOL, I tried different variations of "Yankees" but they were all taken, and I didn't want a bunch of numbers after my name. I found this spelling wasn't taken so I used it.

I live on Long Island, NY and have been a Yankees fan for a long time. I remember when Phil Rizzuto was doing the broadcasts for Channel 11, and the Yankees were going through two or three managers a year. And now, what a great time to be a Yankees fan.

Lord Marcovan- did you read a lot of Tolkien? In high school that's all I read (along with comic books), and, I too, tried to come up with some stories about mythical creatures and heroes. Too bad I couldn't write and couldn't draw. Good thing for coins.
    "Buy the coin, not the holder"

Proof Dime Registry Set
  • lol. my handle (LAZEROO) came from the gaming community. I started a gaming clan called ELITE.

back in 1997 we played a game called total annilation. and my name had to do with the amount of lazer cannons I would build. lol.

I kept the name all these years so some members (friends) would stay in touch.

rob.
    may the force be with you.

rob.
    Goyankeez- yes. Good guess. I read a lot of Tolkien in middle school. My buddies and I on the playground used to act out The Lord of the Rings. (Yes, you young folk out there, it had a life before the movies- it was published more than 50 years ago. BTW, the first installment of the latest movie version of the trilogy ain't bad, in my opinion.)

Anyway, I was always Aragorn ("Strider") in these playground adventures. Later, I squandered my high school and early college years playing Dungeons & Dragons, as I'm sure a lot of you might have guessed. (Some D&D terminology will follow- ignore it if y'all never played).

It was as a D&D character that Lord Marcovan (based on-but not a ripoff of- Aragorn, in the Tolkien story) had his first incarnation, circa 1981. During the early years, he started out as a humble Ranger and advanced legitimately through the game to 10th Level Ranger Lord. The campaign we played was very strict and by-the-book (First Edition), and advancement was tough. Lots of folks playing in other groups had 20th Level characters and higher- we had to work really hard to advance ours. We had some really tough, strict Dungeon Masters. But don't let Lord M's 10th Level status fool you- he has slain evil wizards and fighters who were as high as 24th Level. His cloak is a Displacer Cloak, which makes him hard to strike in combat, as it projects an illusion his image a few feet off to one side of where he is actually standing. His saber, "Vadivashor" (which means "Destroyer of Evil" in the Old Veronian tongue), is a vorpal weapon. That means that it can sever the head of even a Stone Giant in a single blow, cut through steel, the trunk of an ancient oak tree, whatever. Lord M has taken down many a troll or dragon with Vadivashor. He has an Armor Class of (-8)...two points shy of a perfect (-10). (The lower the Armor Class the better). He has 98 hit points. As a 10th Level Ranger Lord, he has the ability to cast some Druidic spells.

But that was in his D&D incarnation. Later, I fleshed out the character a bit and incorporated him in stories, trying to distance him a little from his D&D origins. D&D was a lot of fun, and more creative than many role-playing games. But it was also a colossal time-waster. In the end, I decided to quit wasting my time developing imaginary characters and work on my own, real-life character (which needed some work, believe me. Can you say "nerd"?). image

I gave up being a misty-eyed dreamer in favor of being a bit more of a pragmatic realist, as life dealt me some hard knocks around that time. Once a dreamer, always a dreamer, I suppose, but now I try to harness my dreams so they do me some good in reality. My head is still in the clouds, but my feet are on firm ground. Will I ever pick up writing again? Maybe. Maybe not. Some might say I'm writing now.

My tastes run more toward nonfiction these days. I hardly ever read nonfiction now, unless it is a good historical novel written by the likes of James Michener, Edward Rutherfurd, or Norah Lofts. I actually like Stephen King, believe it or not- not always the themes of his stories, but the way he tells 'em. Say what you like, the man can write. I never read Fantasy/Sci Fi any more, though I enjoy it in movie form occasionally.

• Everyone should know what a dixfer. image
    "Donate your money to Enron and Worldcom....the largest non-profit companies in world history...Or just buy some nice coins for your portfolio" - Dixfer

"Always tell the truth; then you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I wrestled in high school, and was always kind of small. I ended up state champ, and captain, then the whole team started calling me BigD. Plus I started lifting weights at the same time as my adolescent growth spurt, so I looked bigger than I really was. It just kept going where my family kept up the nickname, and still do today. When I had to sign up for Mediaone, I think that was when, I had to pick a number, 5 just popped up. I don't know how I should take it that a few select family members are now referring to me as "heavy D" though image 4 kids later, I guess that's the progression of things image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Short for Funnel CLOUD as in a tornado.

Interesting to read everyones comments.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• My passion is toned coins, years ago I started referring to my toned coins as toners, and it became a nickname from some of my friends because I am always talking or showing them my toned coins. I hope to (a dream) to put together an indepth book on nothing but the aspects of toning with examples of all types of toning and AT.
    Thanks
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file