Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Omega" counterfeit MCMVII - Summary Wanted

Comments

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bigjpst said:

@Davideo said:
    I'm confused? Now there is bitter, vindictive engraver who actively sought out a die set? Previously there was a die set just presented by happen-stance to the mafia and an Italian engraver was then brought in. I'm having a hard time reconciling these two tales.

>

I believe what he is implying is that Augustus St. Gaudens was bitter and stole the dies because Charles Barber kept modifying his design. Then many years later his family provides the dies to Bonano.

He must be speculating about the $3 die. Remember, we already know where the $20 die came from

We know the method they were removed. False cancel in the trash(if I’m remembering the post)
    But I thought he was suggesting the actual person and reason. Stories of riffs in the mint between barber and engravers are in lots of Numismatic tales and possibly in Rogers books.
    Possible he is now doing research to validate the story.

• :o But i thought I made the thread go poof. "what goes around, comes around" A quote that I live by.

Dear Roger, since David was offended that I insulted you and then would not explain the rules. I am assuming there is a double standard rule. Some are entitled to insult and some are not. Due to my ignorance of this rule. I am wrong and wish to apologize to you for insulting you because you insulted me. I am so sorry.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@totellthetruth said:
    :o But i thought I made the thread go poof. "what goes around, comes around" A quote that I live by.

Dear Roger, since David was offended that I insulted you and then would not explain the rules. I am assuming there is a double standard rule. Some are entitled to insult and some are not. Due to my ignorance of this rule. I am wrong and wish to apologize to you for insulting you because you insulted me. I am so sorry.

There is definitely a double standard. Possibly even a triple.

I would be interested in hearing clarification or expansion of your previous post. Are you speculating on the $3 dies or providing further information on the $20 dies?

Thanks!

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2018 10:03AM

One more time:
    All MCMVII double eagles were made the same way. They are all within normal range of appearance. No "proofs" or any other imaginary versions were made or exist.

I've read NGC's explanation, which has evolved over recent years and now centers on the collar die. It does nothing to establish that "proof" MCMVII pieces were made. Use of a different collar die does not create a proof coin. "Proof" is a process that results in a distinctive product. If the process is the same, the product is the same.

What NGC might have uncovered is a way to identify the first 500 pieces - made to keep TR happy - with some of the ones made in November and later when there were more die sets in use. Historically, that is useful to know, but it doe not make them something they are not.

I suspect the real reason NGC is being so adamant, although squishy about this is: they certified a bunch of MCMVII double eagles as "proofs" and they have been promoted, auctioned and over-priced as such. If NGC were to drop their defense, then every owner of an NGC certified MCMVII "proof" could demand financial compensation. Money + embarrassment = Florida sinkhole. The core problem was not doing the research, and the secondary problem was then ignoring new research when it showed their earlier assumptions were wrong.

Note that NGC no longer certifies "proof" MCMVII double eagles. This indicates they don;t really believe their own stories.

BTW - Breen and apologists for Breen declared that a MCMVII double eagle with a plain edge was a "pattern" and unique and special and really, really, hugely important, and on and on and on.....

Several years ago, Vicken Yegparian at Stacks was cataloging a group of MCMVII double eagles. He discovered that the plain-edge coin was from the same pair of dies as other normal pieces. The "unique and special and really, really, hugely important 'pattern' " was a coin that had not had the plain collar swapped out for the 3rd strike. A very nice mint error of considerable interest - but that's all.

@RogerB said:
    **One more time:

Note that NGC no longer certifies "proof" MCMVII double eagles. This indicates they don;t really believe their own stories.

That's very interesting. So, you think they know they effed up and while they don't want to admit to liability for anything already slabbed, they don't want to add to the mess?

That's a good summary. I doubt there was anything intentional - they just followed what someone said and did not question it.

• Wow, this forum is incredible. It is more than a movie, it is an Academy award winning block buster. Now the experts are arguing as to what to call a coin. And these are the experts that are going to determine if I am telling a tale or the truth. Way to funny.

• Dear Roger, I apologize that I am posting on Super Bowl Sunday, but you have single handedly brought my story of the Omega coin to it's climax. I have no problem with your tactic of ignoring me. The problem is that a lot of the forum members like to read what I have to say. You can ignore me, but you can't ignore your forum. I don't know if you own this website or you are a board member, but I do know you are an authority here and using your own words " they just followed what someone said and did not question it". i believe because of your authority you believe people follow you and do not question what you say....but I do.

What I know about you is that you will attack someone's credibility based on their politics, and probably also on their religion, or their disability or their race. What's worse is , you believe you are immune and no one will question you. Everybody here read what you said, and it is a despicable way of denigrating someone. I also know that it is nearly impossible for you to admit that you are wrong and it is probably impossible for you to heart fully apologize. Hey no problem for me, but what about the forum members who know what you said and then watch you hide behind your screen.

What this tells me about you is that you have a serious problem with the truth. I believe when you make a mistake, you will deliberately ignore the fact and probably continue to stand by your known mistakes. Mr. Bonanno was a criminal and hurt people physically and financially. He was a bad guy, but he admitted it. What about David Olin Hale, a special agent for the FBI who was a good guy who did exactly what Bonanno did. He became a criminal and hurt people physically, emotionally and financially, but would never ever admit it. He is downright evil! He has no integrity, no honor or honesty. The authenticator who first told the world that the Omega was real was evil. I know that man was on the payola, who ever he was. How about Walter Breen who knew the coins were undeniably fake from forensic evidence and then continued to authenticate them as real. Not only that he fought to keep them as authentic. How many people were defrauded by his actions? That is an evil man. I know he is dead and can't defend himself, but facts don't lie. If he were alive he could not provide a viable defense for what he did.

I would get on an airplane that TT did the engineering for because I know that they double and triple check their calculations al the way back to the inputs or parameters they use. He has integrity and honor because he can admit he made a mistake and apologize. That's who I want to engineer the plane I get on.

But what about you? You were obviously wrong about the basis of my credibility, and then you hide behind a screen. i personally would never believe anything you say, because I know you won't admit to your mistakes. So how do I know when you've lied or made a mistake on anything and then won't own up to it. I discount your opinion on anything you say. I see a strong similarity to Hale and Breen.

So here is my offer to you. You can ignore me, but inquiring minds (this forum) want to know. You put forth an unconditional heartfelt admission that you were wrong about what youspecifically said about me. You put forth a heartfelt unconditional apology to me. You personally than ask me if my story about the Omega coin is phony or the truth....and I will answer you truthfully.

Now I know how your mind works and your first question will be "how do I know if you are telling the truth in my answer" ?........You don't, but it sure makes great entertainment and suspense...doesn't it?

The ball is in your court

@Boosibri said:
    You are dying for attention aren't you?

Well, he can't want attention that badly or he'd be baiting me. Everyone knows I can be dragged into silly arguments. :smiley:

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Boosibri said:

Well, he can't want attention that badly or he'd be baiting me. Everyone knows I can be dragged into silly arguments. :smiley:

Really?????????

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Boosibri said:

Really?????????

Pete

Our wheelchair friend does it about 3 times per day. :smile:

I know I should just ignore it, but I like a good argument SOMETIMES.

Dr. D, I know you are ignoring me. But I'd much rather hear more Joe Bonanno stories, even if not about the coin, than have you yelling at a wall. RogerB isn't going to take the bait.

Please, tell us some other Bonanno stories. There must be many of them.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

15-12 Philly at the two minute warning.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Not ignoring you. Other Bonanno stories are off topic and the moderator already poofed a story before it went on the board. Not worried about Roger B's wall. He's still trying to figure out what to say after his brilliant piece about how nearly impossible it would have been to make the Omega coin. Unless of course you had a genuine US Mint die set as pointed out by others. I am still laughing out loud over that OOOOOPPPPPsss. I thank Roger for giving my story all the credence it needed.

Heres a Bonanno story on topic. Bonanno; Okay experts tell me why I can't make a fake omega. Experts: It's impossible, read RogerB's piece on the forum. Bonanno: Impossible? Experts; only way we could do it is if you have a genuine US Mint die set. You don't have one do you? Bonanno: Time for a Cognac.

Thank you again Roger.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@totellthetruth

"The authenticator who first told the world that the Omega was real was evil. I know that man was on the payola, who ever he was. How about Walter Breen who knew the coins were undeniably fake from forensic evidence and then continued to authenticate them as real. Not only that he fought to keep them as authentic. How many people were defrauded by his actions? That is an evil man. I know he is dead and can't defend himself, but facts don't lie. If he were alive he could not provide a viable defense for what he did."

I disagree with this. IMO, the people who made the fakes and the people who passed the fakes were evil.

Breen tried to prove that the fakes were genuine by matching its dies with a genuine HR coin held in the National collection for decades. Breen succeeded. The obverse and reverse dies of the Omega coin he took MATCHED a genuine die pair. Breen then wrote an article about his findings for First Coinvestors. Breen made an honest effort to disprove the opinions of the Certification Service authenticators. Only two people in the country knew Breen was wrong as the U.S. Treasury authenticators had already verified their opinion that the coins were "new" counterfeits.

@SCDHunter said:
    I think I need a summary of the Summary thread.

The fakes exist. One member has told us who made them.

edited February 5, 2018 2:05PM

A report of the summary of the summary is $2.00. Add 50-cents for each fact and 25-cents for each speculation you want included. These custom-designed reports will be made by the "millions and millions" who were on the National Mall Jan 20, 2017.

@RogerB said:
    A report of the summary of the summary is $2.00. Add 50-cents for each fact and 25-cents for each speculation you want included. These custom-designed reports will be made by the "millions and millions" who were on the National Mall Jan 20, 2017.

Oh, dear...and people thought I was a trouble maker. :wink:

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

GEEZE..........how many times have I said I was going to stop following this stuff?

I quit. (yeah, right)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    GEEZE..........how many times have I said I was going to stop following this stuff?

I quit. (yeah, right)

Pete

Lots of questions but not lots of answers.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 2:41AM

• MarkMark Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin I might change your comment to "Lots of ego but not lots of answers." :)

Regardless, I wish there were more answers (and fewer questions and definitely less ego).

Mark

@Mark said:
    @northcoin I might change your comment to "Lots of ego but not lots of answers." :)

Regardless, I wish there were more answers (and fewer questions and definitely less ego).

Well, we have all kinds of FOIA requests out there. In a year, we may get something back. @CaptHenway was looking at the collar issue, so we may get something back there. There is the possibility of trace analysis if anyone who has an Omega wants to tackle that, maybe we could talk NGC or PCGS into doing it.

@totellthetruth Oh, and 4T's did contact me privately last week but then I haven't heard back from Dr. D.

@RogerB said:
    The US Secret Service files prior to 1990 are at NARA in College Park, MD. I'm going there Monday and if time permits I'll look for any entries relating to the people/events mentioned. Don;t expect much - most of these files were tossed into boxes and there is minimal organization to them.

They were allegedly involved in the investigation circa 1971.

edited February 11, 2018 3:55PM

If you can search by names, when I heard the story, Dr. Hunter was in charge of the Mint Lab at the Treasury Dept. and Tom Jursch/Jursich (sp) was one of the authenticators. Heck, everyone involved is probably dead. Hoskins is.

"search by names...." :) Ahhh...such a luxury! No such thing.

I received hundreds of pages of FBI files from my FOIA request. They mostly include surveillance from 1968-1970. A lot of redactions of names. they say there are more files if I want them - may have to pay - haven't decided if there's anything much worthwhile in here.

If you get to an address in AZ mentioned by TTTT or any mention of C/f ring or if things look interesting...say you want the rest of them and take donations from us. B)

I should also ask TTTT if he would take a look at what they sent. He may be able to ID the redactions.

Good for you! That was remarkably fast, too. Take your time in searching through the documents. Seemingly unrelated items can become connected as you understand the materials better. Then you can decide if paying for additional copies is worthwhile. Also, think about how you can use the information and possible publication.

Most of the information is related to general investigations of the mafia structure - at least the first 100 pages of two of the 5 documents they sent. A lot of the name redactions are either informants, witnesses or bystanders. They also redacted things like license plates and similar descriptors to protect identities. I think that would make it somewhat useless as a means of identifying casual visitors who might be connected to any potential counterfeiting activities.

It is rather interesting as a glimpse into mafia organization and membership. At some point, maybe I'll put together a narrative for you from that standpoint as it may be of interest to some.

By the way, there have been a number of references to several different cheese companies. LOL. It appears Bonanno was in the cheese business. One of the cheese companies was allegedly being used for narcotics trafficking. For some reason, I find that kind of interesting.

RE: Cheese company and narcotics.

Yep. They specialized in Swiss cheese and filled the hols with heroin. Delicate job, I suspect. :) or...maybe not. Could have just shot it full of holes and filled them.

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2018 2:56AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    By the way, there have been a number of references to several different cheese companies. LOL. It appears Bonanno was in the cheese business. One of the cheese companies was allegedly being used for narcotics trafficking. For some reason, I find that kind of interesting.

@ RogerB
    RE: Cheese company and narcotics.

Yep. They specialized in Swiss cheese and filled the hols with heroin. Delicate job, I suspect. :) or...maybe not. Could have just shot it full of holes and filled them.
    Maybe the making of a new movie

OK, looks like we have the makings for a new movie to update "The French Connection." Anyone here ready for "The Swiss Connection?"

Does that mean the MCMVII fakes were really gold plated chocolate? what a revelation! This will soon be all over anti-social media and trending with Donald duck and friends.

Swiss Confection! We have a winner.

No, no.....it was fake chocolate bars filled with drugs...."The Swiss Confection!"

Wonderful....Wunderbar! ...... (OK....think about it a little.....)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2019 4:07PM

Posting to read this thread.

Edit. Read the thread plus the zapped thread.

One word.

Wow!

Now --- is any of it true ?

:)

@RogerB said:
    Now --- is any of it true ?

:)

We found a name for the movie: The Swiss Confection. :smile:

Yes - that part is true...and a good, exciting name, too!

@RogerB said:
    Yes - that part is true...and a good, exciting name, too!

I'm also pretty sure the signed photo of George Washington has to be real.

Yep.... The ballpoint is a dead giveaway that it's not laser printed !

• kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Can somebody summarize what this (mess) was all about? Some mobster made counterfeits from dies found in a hole out the back door of the mint or something? Supposedly the actual Omega Man Counterfeiter? I need Cliff Notes.

edited April 4, 2019 7:25PM

@kbbpll said:
    Can somebody summarize what this (mess) was all about? Some mobster made counterfeits from dies found in a hole out the back door of the mint or something? Supposedly the actual Omega Man Counterfeiter? I need Cliff Notes.

That is the allegation

You don't need Cliff's notes. Just wait for the movie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file