Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set (17XD)

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2017 10:49PM

If I wait for these sets to drop to $20.00 then I can buy 10 of them and break even! B)B)B)B)B)

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jwitten said:
    I would pick up a set at $100. Probably not a cent over that though.

well, if silver goes to $40 per ounce, I'd pay $125. :smile:

If silver goes to $40, I'm selling (almost) all the silver I have... :smile:

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BigA said:
    12.5k was also a medal and that did pretty well

12.5k?

The two 2016 American Liberty medals (S&W) were 12.5K mintage (total 25K) and sold out in a couple of minutes.

'Course people like the design of that medal a whole lot more...

Yes, but that only proves that the market for medals is in the same 16k range as they sold of this issue.

I disagree. The number of real medal collectors is minuscule. This set isn't selling because they're medals, they're selling because it's a companion to (or instead of) the gold AmLib. The poor sales is a combination of a disliked design (by many) and the high price premium over spot.

The 2016 medals were a much more reasonable $34.95, and a much more accepted design. This set would have sold much more better (<-- let's butcher the language) at $140-150 than $200. Should they have used, say, the 2015 Platinum Proof reverse as the AmLib coin this year, it probably would have sold out.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

BackroadJunkie I totally agree on all points. Seems like the mint priced these as if they were actually coins. Medals should probably remain in bronze.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BigA said:

12.5k?

The two 2016 American Liberty medals (S&W) were 12.5K mintage (total 25K) and sold out in a couple of minutes.

Yes, but that only proves that the market for medals is in the same 16k range as they sold of this issue.

I disagree. The number of real medal collectors is minuscule. This set isn't selling because they're medals, they're selling because it's a companion to (or instead of) the gold AmLib. The poor sales is a combination of a disliked design (by many) and the high price premium over spot.

The 2016 medals were a much more reasonable $34.95, and a much more accepted design. This set would have sold much more better (<-- let's butcher the language) at $140-150 than $200. Should they have used, say, the 2015 Platinum Proof reverse as the AmLib coin this year, it probably would have sold out.

You're trying to cut too fine a line. You cannot separate the medal aspect of it. You acknowledge that the number of medal collectors is small and then conclude from that the medal nature of it has nothing to do with sales. That position is ludicrous on the face of it.

IF this were a $1 coin, it would have sold out at 50k immediatedly, with the same design and with the same $200 price tag.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good points, I think medal collectors are on the rise compared to 20 years ago. The mint is certainly making more of them available, maybe their market research shows this..

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BigA said:

12.5k?

You're trying to cut too fine a line. You cannot separate the medal aspect of it. You acknowledge that the number of medal collectors is small and then conclude from that the medal nature of it has nothing to do with sales. That position is ludicrous on the face of it.

How so? I'm saying sales of a set of this sort has nothing to do with being a medal, it has to do with them being a companion piece to the American Liberty gold coin. The poor sales is attributable to a poor design and high price.

IF this were a $1 coin, it would have sold out at 50k immediatedly, with the same design and with the same $200 price tag.

If this were a coin, the set never would have happened. You're not going to get congressional approval for something like this.

• Options

@thebigeng said:
    Good points, I think medal collectors are on the rise compared to 20 years ago. The mint is certainly making more of them available, maybe their market research shows this..

No, they're making medals like these (i.e. the AmLib and silver pres medals in the C&C's) because they can, and don't need congressional approval, just a nod from SecTreas.

They've always made a boatload of medals. Check the medals page. Many are spectacular in the 3" puck size...

Medals

• Options
    Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

If anyone is unsatisfied with your American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set purchase, I am willing to buy them from you for $68.40 for the set...and I'm being generous!

• Options

@bestday said:

@Gluggo said:

Any body getting their medal set today my order sais it will be here tonight! Ohhh Boy I am excited!

That is fast shipping..

IT was except they came to early and now I have to wait till Monday. Waist of $20.00 all for nothing. Money down the drain!!!!! Again!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@bestday said:

@Gluggo said:

Any body getting their medal set today my order sais it will be here tonight! Ohhh Boy I am excited!

That is fast shipping..

IT was except they came to early and now I have to wait till Monday. Waist of $20.00 all for nothing. Money down the drain!!!!! Again!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

They should really offer 3 levels of shipping: Budget, just like now, Priority Mail with it's faster service, and 2nd day Air just like now.

• Options

@Golden1 said:
    If anyone is unsatisfied with your American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set purchase, I am willing to buy them from you for $68.40 for the set...and I'm being generous!

0.10 over spot. Yes, very generous. Lmao

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Golden1 said:

0.10 over spot. Yes, very generous. Lmao

Actually I am waiting for them to hit $20.00 for the sets then I am jumping on board to buy all I can! B)

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Kind of a "Duh" post....I guess you think spot will be below $5/ounce soon....

• Options

There gonna pay me to take it off their hands!

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017 6:06PM

my hat's off to BackroadJunkie, this has been one of the best initiated and maintained posts that I remember, updated, current and informative. thanks.... As to the subject, I got 2 sets because I could, I like them and hope someone else will, after I'm gone. They have performed exactly as I expected, Just like the mint produced "911 commemorative medals", speculation and anticipation did not translate to demand, value never materialized. I expect these to perform similarly .

(l8-)>>

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@bestday said:

@Gluggo said:

That is fast shipping..

What a bummer to wait 2 more days ...and pay extra for it

• Options

@edgar said:
    my hat's off to look BackroadJunkie, this has been one of the best initiated and maintained posts that I remember, updated and current and informative. thanks.... As tl the subject, I got 2 sets because I could, I like them and hope someone else will after I'm gone. They have performed exactly as I expected, Just like the mint produced 911 commemorative medals, speculation and anticipation did not translate to demand, value never materialized. I expect a similar future value.

Enjoy the Medals Edgar and i bet they are beautiful! I will enjoy mine 7 days from now as I am leaving tonight to Houston for 1 week of training!

• Options

Anyone know how to report someone for a PM that was essentially spam?

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2017 5:09AM

There is no HH limit, so how does this translate? $68 worth of sliver for $205, not for me. I'll wait it out.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

@morgansforever said:
    There is no HH limit, so how does this translate? $68 worth of sliver for $205, not for me. I'll wait it out.

You can get free shipping. So it's only $200 For 68 in silver.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf didn't realize this, I thought standard shipping was $4.95.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2017 5:45AM

@morgansforever said:
    @jmlanzaf didn't realize this, I thought standard shipping was $4.95.

normally, but they are running a free shipping promo on 225th anniversary stuff through 11/15.

Someone else said their whole order went free ship, so its something to be aware of if there is any 225th stuff you want. The coupon code is in one of the forum headings

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the "ANNIVERSARY" code for free shipping work more than once?

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Will the "ANNIVERSARY" code for free shipping work more than

I don't know, but won't you see it as soon as you try it?

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Thread updates...

August 3, 2017: Images added.

September 11, 2017: Price set at $199.95.

September 12, 2017: NGC Special Label.

September 14, 2017 : 50K Mintage/2 HHL.

October 17, 2017: NGC announces special label for this set.

October 19, 2017 Sales begin

October 20, 2017 HHL's lifted

October 20, 2017 Coin World reports 16,794 sold first day...

American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set (17XD)
    DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    10/20/201716,794CW Report - First day sales

Where do u find how many total of sets already sold?

• Options

@Trubach said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Thread updates...

August 3, 2017: Images added.

September 11, 2017: Price set at $199.95.

September 12, 2017: NGC Special Label.

DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    10/20/201716,794CW Report - First day sales

Where do u find how many total of sets already sold?

https://www.usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures

But they only post once per week (Tuesday) for the prior week through Sunday. We'll get new numbers through Today on Tuesday afternoon/evening.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    There was a display of these at the ANA. Sorry for the crummy iPhone shot. I just picked up the regular silver medal at the US Mint kiosk for the heck of it.

Very cool...

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Shall we bet on tomorrow's sales numbers?

I say 20,000 sold through Sunday!

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

49, 972. :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2017 10:06AM

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

So, you're saying it sold out today?
    I can confirm there are at least 99 available today. 49901? :smile:

• Options

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

15,900 (returns) is my guess

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there are way more medal collectors, now, I think I heard there are 100! [This is a joke, a joke, no flames, please!!!]

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

So are WE now saying these sets are going to sell out? Maybe I should buy a few more before they do. It's ONLY Money.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Typo: 29,972.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:

But then maybe I won't buy more.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

21,643 my guess ... a Mint dud

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:
    In case someone thought otherwise, I can confirm that there are more than 9,999 sets available.

(Still)

• Options

Definitely NOT BUYING one now.

• Options

@Type2 said:

@PCGSPhoto said:
    There was a display of these at the ANA. Sorry for the crummy iPhone shot. I just picked up the regular silver medal at the US Mint kiosk for the heck of it.

Very cool...

Do u think its worth it to own one? Will this loose some value eventually?

• Options

@Trubach said:

I’m not buying to flip, I’m buying because I like the design. I’m clearly in the minority on this one but I don’t care. If you are looking to flip this I’d suggest you don’t.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    15,900 (returns) is my guess

Typically it's week 2 or 3 that gets bit by cancellations, but I still anticipate less than 20K.

If the falloff of the gold coin and stand alone medal is an indication, it's probably around 18-19K.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@Trubach said:

I’m not buying to flip, I’m buying because I like the design. I’m clearly in the minority on this one but I don’t care. If you are looking to flip this I’d suggest you don’t.

Not for flipping. Ordered few for my kids, want to save for them

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:
    I’m buying because I like the design. I’m clearly in the minority on this one but I don’t care.

Me too, same two reasons. We are the minority.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@Gluggo said:
    So are WE now saying these sets are going to sell out? Maybe I should buy a few more before they do. It's ONLY Money.

No, we are NOT saying that.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apmex is pre selling them @ 279. ea set. I bought some sets just to keep from the mint at 199.00 I think they are cool looking sets not a flipper for me that I can see but you never know. :)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Once they are gone, but I think they will be gone sooner than we think, its only 50k available, we will be saying: shoulda, woulda, coulda get more when it was available. So get it before its too late and especially when is a free shipping available. Means RIGHT NOW...

• Options

Received in today's mail. Nice job Mint !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file