Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set (17XD)

Comments

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone posted a picture of the set they got yet?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the regular medal a few weeks back and showed it to people. They had no idea it was a mint product (non coin people) and loved the design. I think it is a very well done medal design. I bought 2 of the 4 coin sets, with no real thought what to do with them but thought they were cool.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017 8:11PM

@Type2 said:
    Apmex is pre selling them @ 279. ea set. I bought some sets just to keep from the mint at 199.00 I think they are cool looking sets not a flipper for me that I can see but you never know. :)

better get on your horse...only 28 left at APMEX ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

A big portion of the cost has to be the packaging. Very fancy, tri-fold, with a book, in side a box and a slip cover. They will never off a budget package option but it would have to be a lot more affordable.

Looking at them they are seemingly flawless. Favorite is the Enhanced Uncirculated W in the same style as the Enhanced Uncirculated Set with both heavier and lighter frost and mirror finishes. Next would be the Proof S with a single frost treatment on the designs and mirror fields. Last is the Reverse Proof P. Not a huge fan of this finish on any mint product. Nice but not a favorite.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    A big portion of the cost has to be the packaging. Very fancy, tri-fold, with a book, in side a box and a slip cover. They will never off a budget package option but it would have to be a lot more affordable.

Looking at them they are seemingly flawless. Favorite is the Enhanced Uncirculated W in the same style as the Enhanced Uncirculated Set with both heavier and lighter frost and mirror finishes. Next would be the Proof S with a single frost treatment on the designs and mirror fields. Last is the Reverse Proof P. Not a huge fan of this finish on any mint product. Nice but not a favorite.

Lets see some Pic....

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:
    Lets see some Pic....

I tried but I'm not happy with the results. Rushing it. I'll try again later.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Received in today's mail. Nice job Mint !

Pic's!, please of course...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

Power outage here, first time posting on phone. LOL. Pics will have to wait.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

More than I thought. Still not good, though...

DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    10/20/201716,794CW Report - First day sales
    10/22/201722,64822,648HHL Lifted 10/21
  • Options

Looks like some of the "big boys" did a little nibbling. It may turn out for them to be a mistake.

• Options

So in 4 days it sold almost 23k of the 50k product....doesn’t sound like a dud just because it didn’t fake a sellout like some other coins we’ve seen.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:
    So in 4 days it sold almost 23k of the 50k product....doesn’t sound like a dud just because it didn’t fake a sellout like some other coins we’ve seen.

Let history be your guide. This is a dud.

• Options

@OPA said:

@dmwest said:

4 days is hardly any history to be had.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

When does the 20,000 returns come back to the Mint?

• Options

I got a closer look at these today when I took some product photos of them.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    I got a closer look at these today when I took some product photos of them.

It is a pretty set. I just think it will be cheaper in a couple of years.

• Options

Ha. Got my 2 today. Was about to post pictures but can’t better the ones just posted. It’s hard to get them just right with so many reflective areas.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

One thing I did notice was the coin capsules are very loose. A couple of the medals almost flew out trying to pry them from the holder.

Dean

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

tHOSE LOOK NICE i THINK I WILL SEND MINE IN TOO

• Options

Thanks PCGSPhoto
    Power came back after 14 hour outage. You saved me from attempting a second try at getting pictures with your nice shots.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    More than I thought. Still not good, though...

DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    10/20/201716,794CW Report - First day sales
    10/22/201722,64822,648HHL Lifted 10/21

I guessed 21,000 so I wasn't far off.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@OPA said:

@dmwest said:

It's not history of this product, but 95% of Mint products (that don't sell out in a few days).

First week sales are always okay, regardless of the product.
    Second week sales are typically 10% or less (usually less) of week 1.
    Weeks 3-7 will generally dictate how well the product will ultimately do, however one of those weeks will be absolutely dismal due to cancellation/CC processing.

The decline seems pretty consistent over a number of products. Given that, if sales follows the stand alone medal, it will take over a year to sell out. If it follows the gold, it will take over two. Given its price point, it will probably fall somewhere between the two.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

How much larger/smaller than the Kennedy silver set? They look remarkably similar.

Well then, I guess you'll be out on next year's SF RP set, right... :wink:

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Got my two sets a short time ago. Wife signed for the package. When I went to open it it had that "something is loose" sound.

Opened set one and there it was....

Then went to set #2..and was shocked.....

• Options

@BigA said:
    Got my two sets a short time ago. Wife signed for the package. When I went to open it it had that "something is loose" sound.

The reverse proof in both of my sets was the one that was almost coming out. I'd say send them back for replacement as I'm sure they got banged up if they were in the package loose, especially against another medal.

D2

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

Those two in the left corner were up to something nasty....

No obvious damage...but will check more closely a bit later

• Options

I should add (for those like me that haven't posted a pic in a while) how easy it is now to accomplish this feat...especially if you have a smartphone and Amazon Prime.

Photos are auto-uploaded to Amazon Photos....save to desktop (or file) on laptop....drag and insert into the reply and VOILA!...same deal with Google photos

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Kudbegud said:

How much larger/smaller than the Kennedy silver set? They look remarkably similar.

Well then, I guess you'll be out on next year's SF RP set, right... :wink:

I like the look of the Enhanced process so yes I'd be in if they offer one. The RP, not sure yet but possibly in. You know I'm addicted.

• Options

@BigA said:
    Those two in the left corner were up to something nasty....

What, do you think they'll produce a couple of fractionals?

No obvious damage...but will check more closely a bit later

Look close. If those two were rubbing each other... I can scratch a proof by looking at it too hard...

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

Opened set one and there it was....

At least it didn't hurt the value any... >:):D

• Options

BigA sorry you have to go through this. At least they are NOT SOLD OUT. When you send it back

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pocket coin!! Bonus...

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

I like the reverse proof. I may just consider buying one MS 70 of the reverse proof. I passed on the entire set from the mint.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@OPA said:

@dmwest said:

LOL,,, If not sold out now .. who is left to buy 25,000 sets ........showing up on the bay after Christmas on sale .. meaning below Mint issue
    ?

• Options

@BigA said:

Wow, sorry to see this, my set on the way and now I'm just nervous.

How was order packed, ie, oversized box, little or no packing material?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

OUCH that's terrible. How sloppy did they pack these?

• Options

Actually the box seemed appropriate and there was definitely more brown paper packing inside unlike the LE PF set. Every capsule was loose if not dislodged. Shipping box showed no signs of being dropped from the 10th floor...

• Options

@ECHOES said:

@BigA said:

Wow, sorry to see this, my set on the way and now I'm just nervous.

How was order packed, ie, oversized box, little or no packing material?

The same thing happened with the 2011 25th anniversary ASE set. It's not that the sets were packaged poorly, it has more to do with the massive ASE's in a set that doesn't have enough internal packing to keep the capsules from getting loose. (What was bad about the 25th set, was you had to submit to the TPG's in a sealed box, so if a coin was loose in the sets, it still got graded...)

They generally put in that foam or cloth padding to keep this from happening, but the tri-fold design may just not allow for that.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

The same thing happened with the 2011 25th anniversary ASE set. It's not that the sets were packaged poorly, it has more to do with the massive ASE's in a set that doesn't have enough internal packing to keep the capsules from getting loose. (What was bad about the 25th set, was you had to submit to the TPG's in a sealed box, so if a coin was loose in the sets, it still got graded...)

They generally put in that foam or cloth padding to keep this from happening, but the tri-fold design may just not allow for that.

Are the capsules that twist shut that expensive they can't use those for packaging?

D2

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Are the capsules that twist shut that expensive they can't use those for packaging?

D2

I'm pretty sure it's all done by robotics now. Should you introduce a different type of capsule, your machinery and process has to change. It won't be cheap, and will probably be cheaper just to replace any damaged coins. (If the capsules aren't the same size, they would also have to change all the packaging inserts.)

At least I assume the medal set was done by robot since the medals were probably done on the same presses that churn out ASE's. If they were actually packaged by humans, that could add to or actually be the problem.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

WoW I rec my sets and they are going back, I did not take any pic. But the rev pr had milk spots already and MS San Francisco had a week spot around 5:00 the 1st 2 sets I ordered from the mint.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2017 11:31AM

@Type2 said:
    WoW I rec my sets and they are going back, I did not take any pic. But the rev pr had milk spots already and MS San Francisco had a week spot around 5:00 the 1st 2 sets I ordered from the mint.

Now I am afraid to send my set in for Grading. Especially since I can't open the box. :(:(:(

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@Type2 said:

Now I am afraid to send my set in for Grading. Especially since I can't open the box. :(:(:(

Why can't you open your box? Hint..use a box cutter & slice along the tape ;) In all fairness, there is no reason not to open the box, especially if you're looking for a first strike label. You have up to 30 days from the first known receipts, just to mail in the the medal that you want graded & it's not necessary to mail in the whole set during this time frame.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2017 12:02PM

OPA you have a good point thank you

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@Type2 said:

The only time you can't open the original packaging is when a coin you want graded has been released in a prior set.

For instance, the LESP had to be sent in the sealed box because all the other coins were already released in another set. (The dime/quarters/half in the silver proof set and the 2017-S in the congrats set.) In order to maintain a proven lineage, the box has to go in unopened.

Since the AmLib medal set is unique and hasn't been released before, you can look at the medals before deciding to send them in...

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Gluggo said:

@Type2 said:

The only time you can't open the original packaging is when a coin you want graded has been released in a prior set.

For instance, the LESP had to be sent in the sealed box because all the other coins were already released in another set. (The dime/quarters/half in the silver proof set and the 2017-S in the congrats set.) In order to maintain a proven lineage, the box has to go in unopened.

Since the AmLib medal set is unique and hasn't been released before, you can look at the medals before deciding to send them in...

thank you In about 3 weeks I should know how PCGS graded my orders. Hopefully I followed all the rules.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

My two sets arrived today.

While checking them out, my mind was mulling over the thought:

"Is that Olivia Pope" on the obverse??

Or am I just an Idiot??

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

Strong resemblance...

• Options

@BigA said:
    Strong resemblance...

+1