Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Liberty 225th Anniversary Silver Four-Medal Set (17XD)

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 10:37AM

The Odds stink for me to send in the U.S. Mint Medals 2017-P Medal American Liberty 225th Anniversary U.S. Mint Silver, DC
    This would be the one earlier this year by itself out of 63 tries only 5 made it to Grade 70. That tells me the Mint did a BAD job making these medals. I was going to send my in but I don't think so. I will have to think on this one!
    2017-P Medal American Liberty 225th Ann U.S. Mint Silver, DC PRDC
    + 1 1 8 48 5 63

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/pcgsnolookup.aspx?s=627952

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    The Odds stink for me to send in the U.S. Mint Medals 2017-P Medal American Liberty 225th Anniversary U.S. Mint Silver, DC
    This would be the one earlier this year by itself out of 63 tries only 5 made it to Grade 70. That tells me the Mint did a BAD job making these medals. I was going to send my in but I don't think so. I will have to think on this one!
    2017-P Medal American Liberty 225th Ann U.S. Mint Silver, DC PRDC
    + 1 1 8 48 5 63

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/pcgsnolookup.aspx?s=627952

70 used to be an unheard of grade for coins. Then it became so common as to make the designation almost meaningless. Why would you even pay a premium for an MS70 coin that had a high percentage of 70s? You can't have it both ways. Either a slabbed 70 is worth no more than a slabbed 69 because they are mostly 70s or a slabbed 70 is worth more than a 69 because they are mostly 69s..or 68s.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

70 used to be an unheard of grade for coins. Then it became so common as to make the designation almost meaningless.

I was starting to think this way too, seems like most new coins from the mint are "perfect" these days.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

With my first set of metals, one was out of the capsule and had spotting. The second set is good. If I was a betting man, I would buy the graded versions, if I didn’t mind taking a chance on spotting. But certainly for not more than a bit over issue price.
    Seems like it would be a Huge waste of time and money to send your own in for grading.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

If these spot in 70 grades there is no longer a spotting guarantee. Be careful.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    With my first set of metals, one was out of the capsule and had spotting. The second set is good. If I was a betting man, I would buy the graded versions, if I didn’t mind taking a chance on spotting. But certainly for not more than a bit over issue price.
    Seems like it would be a Huge waste of time and money to send your own in for grading.

Almost never worth the time or effort to send them in on your own. Bulk dealers get preferred rates, so it is already more expensive for you to send it in. Then, you have the probability of a bad result. If you really want slabbed 70s (or 69s or 68s), usually better to just buy them that way.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2017 10:48AM

I think everyone I bought were graded by the Big Retail Boys. Why bother I sent the first batch 85%, back as rejects. They still owe me for 1 that got lost in shipping I am sure they will try and get out of paying that too! Its a 50 / 50 shot you will get someone on the phone that really care's about your order.

• Options

The Mint was very helpful to me as I returned the first set, with supplied return label, for a refund.
    If I want a second set, I will buy one on the cheap, graded by PCGS.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    The Mint was very helpful to me as I returned the first set, with supplied return label, for a refund.
    If I want a second set, I will buy one on the cheap, graded by PCGS.

You got the other 50% of course I can be a jerk at times. At least I can admit it! That's the first step to recovery. Now if I can just stop buying coins. Just pumped another 400 bucks in some Daniel Carr coin's! Dang it stop!

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

Although I bought 2 sets .. too many Mint products flooding the market...... after holidays pass, I 'll buy a lower priced 70 set on the bay .. using /getting ebucks .. still no sellout on the 225th Enhanced set ?

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:
    Although I bought 2 sets .. too many Mint products flooding the market...... after holidays pass, I 'll buy a lower priced 70 set on the bay .. using /getting ebucks .. still no sellout on the 225th Enhanced set ?

It's sold out....they just wanted to wait until you asked about it.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@bestday said:

They're waiting until Black Friday to release the other 10K sets they have.

(It won't be sold out until they do the audit. I'm not sure what they could possibly do that they don't already know. Make sure there aren't any leftover, unresolved orders? Look on all the shelves to make sure they didn't miss any?)

I finally got my last, last strike sets a couple of days ago. They're staying in OGP and will be bundled for sale with a box of FS eligible sets when they hit a thousand dollars a set on ebay. I'm a patient guy. I can wait...

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

I finally got my last, last strike sets a couple of days ago. They're staying in OGP and will be bundled for sale with a box of FS eligible sets when they hit a thousand dollars a set on ebay. I'm a patient guy. I can wait...

Just don’t forget....I got the VERY last set from the Mint.....pcgs already has a label for me.

D2

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

If this includes returns and cc issues, then it's doing much better than I expected.

DateNumber soldNet IncreaseComment
    10/20/201716,794CW Report - First day sales
    10/22/201722,64822,648HHL Lifted 10/21
    10/29/201725,7403,092
    11/5/201726,276536
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@bestday said:

Still remind button now for weeks .. Black Friday..sounds like a date sets go on market from Mint ..LOl

• Options

Grrrrr I also got a set like BigA with the Philadelphia RP loose, having fallen out of it plastic holder. Fortunately no other medal was loose. The box had no bubble wrap or paper to hold it firmly in place. The medal looks fine upon inspection, but what the heck Philadelphia!

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Update on my two sets with wandering coins in each. I combined the escapees into one set and returned it. Got a perfect set in return....worked out OK but would have been a pain if they had sold out....

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @BigA said:

Update on my two sets with wandering coins in each. I combined the escapees into one set and returned it. Got a perfect set in return....worked out OK but would have been a pain if they had sold out....

Not a chance in this world, that they will "selll out." The Mint, however, at one point down the road, might stop selling them. (Perhaps by X'mas 2018?)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@bestday said:
    .. too many Mint products flooding the market......

There was a sharp decrease in the number of products from the mint this year, but that was mostly due to the prezibucks/first spouse finally ending.

However, even among "special" products, that number has decreased. There were 5 last year (counting the WP and SF AmLib medals as two products) and four this year. There were also no coin and chronicle/currency sets released this year, and there was even two less commemoratives, since Lions Club was only released in silver.

The number of products should come down further when ATB ends in two years. (Almost half the products from the mint this year were ATB products.) We could see about 40 products coming from the mint. That might still seem like a lot, but at least 10 of those would commemoratives and at least 10 would be precious metal Eagle products. Another 15 or so are the annual offerings, like the congrats and Happy Birthday sets, the $1 and Kennedy products, the mint, proof and silver proof sets, etc.)

Of course, congress could always do something stupid like the American Innovation $1 Coin series. I would only be for it if it kills the $1 FRN...

• Options

The dropoff is worse than that of the gold and silver stand-alone medal. Perhaps it's a reflection of the number of returns (for refund) they're getting.

10/29/201725,7403,092
    11/5/201726,276536
    11/12/201726,389113
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    The dropoff is worse than that of the gold and silver stand-alone medal. Perhaps it's a reflection of the number of returns (for refund) they're getting.

10/29/201725,7403,092
    11/5/201726,276536
    11/12/201726,389113

at this point, I'd expect to seen nothing but dribs and drabs for the next year or two until they are "sold out"

• Options

"at this point, I'd expect to seen nothing but dribs and drabs for the next year or two until they are "sold out""

Agree, but would change "sold out" to "no longer available."

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

The number of products should come down further when ATB ends in two years. (Almost half the products from the mint this year were ATB products.) We could see about 40 products coming from the mint. That might still seem like a lot, but at least 10 of those would commemoratives and at least 10 would be precious metal Eagle products.

I thought ATB was as going to continue a lot farther than 2019

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

The last one is in 2021 (one)

• Options

@BigA said:

Wishful thinking on my part...

• Options

@OPA said:
    "at this point, I'd expect to seen nothing but dribs and drabs for the next year or two until they are "sold out""

Agree, but would change "sold out" to "no longer available."

Not necessarily. If this issue should sell out it's mintage, it'll go to "No Longer Available".

Should the set wallow on the site for over a year, they will announce a last chance (and eventually take the sets off-sale without reaching it's mintage), it'll go directly to "Sold Out" after the announced date.

My small change is on the latter. They're never going to sell 50K of these...

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BigA said:

They could start a new 5oz product to continue this size silver. It is a popular item. And they might want to continue using those special presses they bought.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BigA said:

They could start a new 5oz product to continue this size silver. It is a popular item. And they might want to continue using those special presses they bought.

Coming to you from your friendly US Mint in 2019. (Apollo 11--50th Anniv. Commem. Coin)

(4) P
    ROOF SILVER $1 COINS
    .—Not more than 100,000 proof
    $1 silver coins which shall—
    (A) weigh 5 ounces;
    (B) be struck on a planchet having a diameter of 3
    inches; and
    (C) contain .999 fine silver.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@Kudbegud said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BigA said:

Coming to you from your friendly US Mint in 2019. (Apollo 11--50th Anniv. Commem. Coin)

(4) P
    ROOF SILVER $1 COINS
    (A) weigh 5 ounces;
    inches; and

I'd be in for this one

• Options

@OPA said:

@Kudbegud said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BigA said:

Those are the only ATB (only) product I buy, and then only the collector version. (I'm not counting my annual mint/proof and silver proof set...)

(4) P
    ROOF SILVER $1 COINS
    (A) weigh 5 ounces;
    inches; and

I said I'd be in for one of these, regardless of design,

It'll be interesting to see what the puck looks like in proof. I wonder if they'll sell 100K. The ATB pucks only surpassed 100K four times...

• Options
    edited November 17, 2017 9:15PM

:|:|:| Is it Too Late for me to buy my 2 sets? Did the 2 limit restriction helped keep these from selling out! Cause I need at least 4 to 6 more sets to try and get 4 coins graded PCGS 70! Problem is the 30 days runs out tomorrow and I won't get the postdate sent out in time so for now I will have to accept out of the 8 I had graded only 2 graded 70's. But I got at least one 68!!!!! And there were only 2 who won that award! Wonder who the other lucky person was? :#

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    :|:|:| Is it Too Late for me to buy my 2 sets?

No.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    :|:|:| Is it Too Late for me to buy my 2 sets? Did the 2 limit restriction helped keep these from selling out! Cause I need at least 4 to 6 more sets to try and get 4 coins graded PCGS 70! Problem is the 30 days runs out tomorrow and I won't get the postdate sent out in time so for now I will have to accept out of the 8 I had graded only 2 graded 70's. But I got at least one 68!!!!! And there were only 2 who won that award! Wonder who the other lucky person was? :#

I am under the impression that you are new to the hobby. My advice to you is don't play the 70 game. It's a waste of time and money.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2017 11:22PM

Yes I gave up I will settle for the 69. It would not be so bad but I was only 1 of the 2 who got a 68 grade out of the other 233 submitions. I guess that makes me special, but I am a newbie only been collecting for a few years. Figure I should have something saved up to pass on to the grand kids before I leave this world. I blew the rest on fast Cars, Women and Drugs. Sorry to say.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Yes I gave up I will settle for the 69. It would not be so bad but I was only 1 of the 2 who got a 68 grade out of the other 233 submitions. I guess that makes me special, but I am a newbie only been collecting for a few years. Figure I should have something saved up to pass on to the grand kids before I leave this world. I blew the rest on fast Cars, Women and Drugs. Sorry to say.

This would be the equivalent of blowing money on drugs. The addiction is yours, not your grandkids. You'd be better off leaving them a Trust than coins you overpaid for.

If you enjoy the coins, enjoy the coins. Collectibles are generally horrible legacies, especially if there are multiple heirs with the potential to argue over how to handle/split the estate.

• Options

I agree I let my Brother sell all of my dad's coins. He sent me a check I am just following in my father's footstep. Like father like son.

• Options

Sales are still not bad. This set may actually sell out in a year.

10/29/201725,7403,092
    11/5/201726,276536
    11/12/201726,389113
    11/19/201726,974585
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2017 5:31PM

26,974 Does that mean they are ALL SOLD OUT? They are NOT First Strike eligible making these almost worthless at this point! Correct me if I am wrong but these are Medals right? They are not even a coin. OK there worth the melt price of silver which tonight is bid price $16.96 each. I mean you would not catch me spending money on getting them graded only to get 69's. And I hear the price for the 2017-D in a 70 PCGS is selling on Ebay for $1500.00 just for that one coin! Are you kidding me.

http://www.lccoins.com/2017-american-liberty-225th-anniversary-four-medal-set/2017-d-american-liberty-225th-anniversary-medal-ms70-first-strike-pcgs-liberty-label.html

Got $1500.00?

• Options

Item Number: 17XD
    Mintage Limit: 50,000
    Product Limit: 50,000
    Household Order Limit: None

• Options

What? $1500??? It's just a medal....a silver medal. Geeeeeesh.

• Options

@Onastone said:
    What? $1500??? It's just a medal....a silver medal. Geeeeeesh.

Oddly that seems to be the current price for First STrike 70s. Other labels are $120 for 70s. This label collecting is getting out of hand.

• Options

Still interestingly strong sales.

10/29/201725,7403,092
    11/5/201726,276536
    11/12/201726,389113
    11/19/201726,974585
    11/26/201727,406432
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a FS pcgs 69 set go off at only $225 on eBay yesterday...

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@thebigeng said:
    I saw a FS pcgs 69 set go off at only $225 on eBay yesterday...

One would hope so, considering the raw set is basically valued as a set of 69. Yet, everyone wants the 70 set.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

10/29/201725,7403,092
    11/5/201726,276536
    11/12/201726,389113
    11/19/201726,974585
    11/26/201727,406432

I would hate to see what you'd consider weak sales.

• Options

@OPA said:

P

LOL. You have to grade it on a curve. It's a MINT MEDAL, after all. They usually lose about 90% of their value (bronze) as soon as they hit the mail stream.

• Options

@OPA said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

> > > > > > > > > >
    10/29/201725,7403,092
    11/5/201726,276536
    11/12/201726,389113
    11/19/201726,974585
    11/26/201727,406432

If this set followed the trend of the gold AmLib, I'd be expecting sales in the 100's.

The next sales dropoff should happen around weeks 7 through 9, though with the Xmas season it might be around week 10 or 11.

Don't get me wrong, at this rate, sellout will still occur Oct or Nov 2018, though I suspect it will still be taken off-sale before it sells out...

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2017 8:33AM

It seems that the PCGS move to their new location has delayed grading of these as the population numbers are still fairly low. They have had my submission over a month now. Based on what I received from the mint the 2017-D MS seems to have issues with milk spots or discoloration on the medals and so very few are making MS70.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file