Home U.S. Coin Forum

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 1:30PM

Why pay $252 when i have been getting them for under $190?...and the 69 pop will be skewed because of the 70's or nothing request

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 1:42PM

@Gluggo said:
    So I guess I am wondering
    1. Why were the Dealers allowed to cut to the front of the line in the first place?
    2. Is someone working for the mint / show breaking the LAW when they let the Dealers get first choice of the coins?
    3. How is it that the Dealers even get first choice at the coins?
    4. Do we need an Investigation by the Federal Authorities?
    5. Do these shows get a % kick back into their pockets for letting Dealers in the front.
    6. Who do we complain to?
    7. Why didn't YOU say something like " Hey why do I have to wait and why do these 40 to 100 Dealers get to buy and hoard all the coins?
    8. I mean you could of gotten all upset made a huge scene maybe even get thrown in jail over it?
    9. OK just kidding but thanks for that information. Just does not seem right maybe a " Quid Pro Quo " going on?
    10.Im done acting stupid!!!! Forgive me.

Yeah. #10 for sure. Switch to decafe.

It's listed in the show programs: Dealers have early access to the bourse for setup and to staff their tables. ANA members are allowed in 1/2 hour before the public.

If they choose to line up in front of the mint's booth, instead of drinking the swill that passes for coffee from the concession stand, well... that's their choice. Sales didn't start until the show opened...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    New numbers to last Sunday. Sorta meaningless at this point, but for the record...

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC)
    DateNumber soldNet Increase
    8/6/2017217514217514
    8/13/20172233105796
    8/20/2017211273-12037

The returns and canceled orders really mess with the numbers like I haven't seen before.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    Why pay $252 when i have been getting them for under $190?...and the 69 pop will be skewed because of the 70's or nothing request

Nothing to buy yet.. see if their is some money to made .. Like the President sets ..

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I was watching CNN & MSNBC news all day today. Sick stayed home in front of the TV. I guess they got me!

@BStrauss3 said:

@Gluggo said:

It's listed in the show programs: Dealers have early access to the bourse for setup and to staff their tables. ANA members are allowed in 1/2 hour before the public.

The Mint just receipted today (clapping)@ 3:21 PM the 2nd shipment I sent back. This time I only sent back 3 sets and I used their shipping system which I have to say worked flawlessly. To bad I did not know the correct system to use on returns. I will chalk up the $20.00 buck I lost by using my money on the 1st shipment as lessons learned.

But sorry to say I had a small part in messing up the numbers. Now I just have to wait a few days to see if they (the mint) will accept my letter of explanation on the indications I found, along with the justification for me sending the sets back. And then to wait for my monetary refund to my credit card on the 3 sets. But I think I am on day 8 or 9 so they technically could reject the whole thing. Even though their shipping goes by ground and from Alaska that is a few extra days of driving. Keeping my fingers crossed! But man that's a lot of extra expense when you start to add all those guys like me messing up the system. I wonder if they will have their Quality Control persons look them over or just re-sell or destroy the sets? :p:p:p:p:p I bet they wont comment on that one!

@Kudbegud said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    New numbers to last Sunday. Sorta meaningless at this point, but for the record...

> > > > > >
    8/6/2017217514217514
    8/13/20172233105796
    8/20/2017211273-12037

The returns and canceled orders really mess with the numbers like I haven't seen before.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I read here a few years back the Mint was cracking down on people who return too many times,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • DoughDeoDoughDeo Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

@coinhack said:
    The mint had a limit of 500 sets, so most of the dealers (80%) would take a stack of 13 boxes (494 sets) on a hand truck. This took forever. An hour and a half. Once it got back to those of us who came in the front door, the line moved quickly as most were buying just a few

...until the one and only point of sale terminal had issues. The line stopped moving for a good 45 minutes. :/

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@baseball said:
    I received my sets today and was really disappointed at the quality of the coins. Lots of spotting and not one of the 4 sets were clean. Also, I personally didn't think the coins looked any better in person than in the photographs, probably a bit worse.

What is the protocol for returning? Do I just stick the label on the same box and drop off or do I pay return postage? Thanks in advance for any help.

Log in online and look at order history and you'll see an option to return all or part of them and it will send you a return mailing label....mine was a UPS label

Dean

Don't quote me on that.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@baseball said:
    I received my sets today and was really disappointed at the quality of the coins. Lots of spotting and not one of the 4 sets were clean. Also, I personally didn't think the coins looked any better in person than in the photographs, probably a bit worse.

What is the protocol for returning? Do I just stick the label on the same box and drop off or do I pay return postage? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry to hear this. As I mentioned last night, I do think the likelihood of this happening with returns cycling back into the Mint will continue to be the case.

I believe return postage is paid by the Mint for defective sets

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 5:42PM

baseball
    Call The Mint customer service 800 number 872-6468
    Phones are maned 7 days a week, 8:30 am to 5 pm Eastern Time.

You might also consider opening an account. You aren't required to make a minimum number of purchases. It can prove useful though.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

8/6/2017217514217514
    8/13/20172233105796
    8/20/2017211273-12037

It dropped to roughly 13,700 below the max yet the available never went much over 7500. Does that mean they are still processing the other 6,000 coins?

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed that too. this could push the sell out date into September or the mint will reduce total mintage to 219,000. they did that to the platinum coins, mintage was set at 10,000 but cut sales off at 9,100

might be damaged sets they don't want to replace, mint probably is losing thousands of dollars on these returns, a lot of man hours being burned up and mint employees are high paid

• jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

I hate to say it but I returned 3 of my 5 sets to the Mint. I kept the 4th set even though I wasn't completely happy with it. I am waiting for the mint to send me 3 new sets, which might take a few weeks. In all the years I have ordered sets from the mint, I have never returned coins because of poor quality.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.

Looks like maybe they need to replace workers with workers who take pride in the work they do, including the Quality Control Inspectors.

@coinpalice said:
    might be damaged sets they don't want to replace, mint probably is losing thousands of dollars on these returns, a lot of man hours being burned up and mint employees are high paid

• mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Gosh this thread has had a lot of staying power! Each login I have several new notifications all from this thread.

Let's make this the longest thread here!

BTW - Yes I have one of the enhanced sets, and I think ... eh, it's ok. Not the homerun I was thinking it would be. But I like it. No problems. Have not returned it. Have considered buying more, but summarily shot that idea down each time it's occurred to me. $29 and I'm fully vested (or however much it cost with shipping, I forgot already...)

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinhack said:

So, @BackroadJunkie , to answer your question, I don't believe there were any substantial numbers returned at the show.

Thanks for that. It pretty much confirms all the rest of the stories I've read. Yeah, they sold out the 20K they had on hand the first day, and had another 5K by day 2, but they really weren't advertising they had the sets. I believe you had to ask them about it.

Never heard about the line before the bourse opened. That wasn't supposed to happen.

@BStrauss3 said:

@Gluggo said:
    1. Why were the Dealers allowed to cut to the front of the line in the first place?
    2. Is someone working for the mint / show breaking the LAW when they let the Dealers get first choice of the coins?
    5. Do these shows get a % kick back into their pockets for letting Dealers in the front.
    7. Why didn't YOU say something like " Hey why do I have to wait and why do these 40 to 100 Dealers get to buy and hoard all the coins?
    8. I mean you could of gotten all upset made a huge scene maybe even get thrown in jail over it?
    9. OK just kidding but thanks for that information. Just does not seem right maybe a " Quid Pro Quo " going on?

If they choose to line up in front of the mint's booth, instead of drinking the swill that passes for coffee from the concession stand, well... that's their choice. Sales didn't start until the show opened...

No, you're wrong.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11759278/#Comment_11759278

Specifically,

U.S. Mint officials in Washington said July 19 that Mint officials at the show will not allow a line to form for the sets until 1 p.m. MT when the bourse opens to the public.

Now, you could say they were just closer to the Mint's booth when the doors opened, but if that's the case, they should have been forced to wait outside with the rest of the attendees.

@jmlanzaf said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

> > > > > >
    8/6/2017217514217514
    8/13/20172233105796
    8/20/2017211273-12037

It dropped to roughly 13,700 below the max yet the available never went much over 7500. Does that mean they are still processing the other 6,000 coins?

Could be.

We won't know until the final mintage comes out. It could be that the final mintage will be below 220K. (That's the number I'm hoping for, anyway. It'd push the Kennedy below the 50th sets.)

I supposed they could get SF to crank up the presses to strike a few more sets, but I doubt that will happen...

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BStrauss3 said:

@Gluggo said:

No, you're wrong.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11759278/#Comment_11759278

Specifically,

U.S. Mint officials in Washington said July 19 that Mint officials at the show will not allow a line to form for the sets until 1 p.m. MT when the bourse opens to the public.

Now, you could say they were just closer to the Mint's booth when the doors opened, but if that's the case, they should have been forced to wait outside with the rest of the attendees.

I was in Denver opening day of the show. As an ANA member I got in the show at 12:30 sharp. I immediately walked back to the US Mint Booth. I got to the Mint Booth at approx. 12:38. There was already a line of Dealers waiting to buy the sets. I was probably the 50th person in line. The line extended from the right of the booth to the back of the building by 1 pm when they finally went on sale. The US Mint workers had no qualm with the line forming and there was actually a US Mint worker who asked everyone in line how many sets they planned on buying. Originally there was no limit. Then he circled back and handed out tickets and said the limit was 500. I rec'd a ticket which I had to give to the cashier when I finally reached checkout. NEVER did they have a problem with the line. And yes the Dealers were in line first since they were in the bourse before the ANA members and the general public. That's how it went down in Denver!! I bought 2 cases and immediately walked to the USPS booth where I mailed them back to my home in the Midwest. When I returned from the show the boxes were inspected. I rec'd several damaged sets. They were returned to the US Mint promptly. So there are returns from the show as they accepted returns when you called them and explained things. The returns however, had to be sent to an office in Washington DC instead of the usual shipping facility in Memphis TN. Who knows how many sets were returned from the show? I suspect many when they went unsold at the show.

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@OPA said:

A 5% overproduction for defect rate is crazy. No-one does that.

Depends on your process. I managed a semiconductor manufacturing line, for the early production stuff. We did not produce in the "sweet" spot, middle of the bell curve, but pushed toward the limits to create faster chips. A "Great" lot had a 60% scrap rate, but the 40 that survived were VERY profitable.

One customer requested a special "Monster" speed, on a huge chip, that we felt was not realistic, but they paid for it. The forecast scrap rate was 99.6%. The lot produced had a 98% scrap rate. On the 2% that survived, we made a huge profit, and the customer got chips that were incredibly fast AND had a huge capacity to process at the same time.

@GRANDAM said:
    I thought I read here a few years back the Mint was cracking down on people who return too many times,,,,,,

Amazon does. Heck, I do! LOL. I mean, I'm not running an approval service at my expense.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2017 9:51AM

@mustangmanbob said:

@epcjimi1 said:

@OPA said:

A 5% overproduction for defect rate is crazy. No-one does that.

Depends on your process.....The lot produced had a 98% scrap rate. On the 2% that survived, we made a huge profit, and the customer got chips that were incredibly fast AND had a huge capacity to process at the same time.

The USMint is not a chip manufacturer nor does the USMint have customers willing to pay for massive defect rate in your comparative process.

@Manorcourtman said:

NEVER did they have a problem with the line. And yes the Dealers were in line first since they were in the bourse before the ANA members and the general public. That's how it went down in Denver!!

Dealers pay early money for access to the USMint line @ show, Really? Crazy. F*** the little guy. Way to go, USMint. Money talks, I guess.

It's the last gasp at a possible deal from the USMint.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Considering the reactions to the EU Set lets hope no one starts a discussion of Professional Lobbyists in DC. Like who they are, what they do, how much they get paid, who pays them, and all that scuttlebutt.

The shock and awe would be like a "gift" from the NK Guy.

edited August 23, 2017 11:34AM

@FullStrike said:
    Considering the reactions to the EU Set lets hope no one starts a discussion of Professional Lobbyists in DC. Like who they are

Who are they?

what they do,

I'll go with lobbying Congress, in their own self interest and the industry / business represented? No?

how much they get paid, who pays them, and all that scuttlebutt.

So what's the numbers? Inquiring minds want to know.

The shock and awe would be like a "gift" from the NK Guy.

Don't know who NK guy is, are you talking about Kim Jong-un? J/W

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solve the problem?

No announced mintage, only the order period.

Mintage announced 2 years after the end of the order period.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

probably 25 percent of the bulk has been sold off or returned already. in another 3 months buyers who want more then 10 sets will be paying a higher price

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

Mint, especially Mint people in DC say a lot of things. Doesn't translate to reality.

If people form a line, will the mint staff take random people or from the line.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll that would be a good solution I think yes. Because then, people would buy more of what they like, instead of what they think will increase in value. That would be a boon for collectors.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2017 6:21PM

WOW.....This makes comment # 1039. This is a long thread. It seems for the most part, most are happy with this set. Some damaged sets, some quality problems, but mostly positive comments. I bought 20 sets. Nothing damaged, one lens has a little scratch on it, and two sets have a couple coins that look less than perfect. I need to get a magnifier out and a bright light and really exam them. I'm not out to flip these, they will end up in my kids hands some year, but for now they're mine to enjoy.

I know there is a lot of lint on outside of the plastic lens. don't wipe it off, you will scratch the plastic

@baseball said:
    BTW, did anyone notice lint pieces inside coin capsules? I had a few of those as well.

Yup, two of my sets had lint

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received two sets yesterday. The quality is far superior than the first set I received; no spots on the Sacagawea, or, other coins. I was a bit concerned based on my experience, and past comments...

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re Mint quality...I've been receiving Mint products directly from the government since 1973...and I can honestly say that quality is way beyond head and shoulders above where it was back then. However, I will say that things were definitely shipped better back then (and not farmed out to an outside contractor).

But what has changed over the years is our personal ability to deploy forensic level tools in examining our personal collections...myself included!

I'm trying to imagine what microscopic percentage of 1970s and 1980s era proof and mint sets would score 69s and 70s...which were grades that were so stratospheric in those days as to practically not actually exist on this planet!

And yes, I'm old and will be taking a nap now!

I think collector expectation is, perhaps, a bit too high. There seems to be the assumption that every coin needs to be a 69 or 70 and that any minor toning is grounds for rejection. Don't get me wrong. You can do whatever you want with your money. But that is really not the production standard the mint is employing. In fact, given that 69 or 70 is supposed to represent exceptional coins, it's really not the coin marketplace standard either. These are "business strikes" after all.

Personally, I think the quality of these sets is exceptional. I cracked open 89 sets. I had one really ugly Sac that I spent, pink/red spotting on half the coin. I had one scratched plastic lens. All the others were solid coins with no more than a tiny spot here or there.

I take it none of you collect date/mint mark sets of classic U.S. coins. You'd have a hard time even putting together an ugly set of AU coins for most of those series without a gigantic budget.

@jmlanzaf said:
    I think collector expectation is, perhaps, a bit too high. There seems to be the assumption that every coin needs to be a 69 or 70 and that any minor toning is grounds for rejection. Don't get me wrong. You can do whatever you want with your money. But that is really not the production standard the mint is employing. In fact, given that 69 or 70 is supposed to represent exceptional coins, it's really not the coin marketplace standard either. These are "business strikes" after all.

The silver enhanced uncirculated ASE's were stuck three times, so it was at least proof quality. I can't seen to find a source that really states what they do for the base metals. There might have been an article back when the Enhanced Sacs came out, but the only thing you can find right now pertains to the current set. But it wouldn't surprise me to find the EH coins were treated like proofs.

That said, this set remains raw in my collection. (I think I only have three base metal coins in slabs in my collection. Crapload in 2x2's though...)

Personally, I think the quality of these sets is exceptional. I cracked open 89 sets. I had one really ugly Sac that I spent, pink/red spotting on half the coin. I had one scratched plastic lens. All the others were solid coins with no more than a tiny spot here or there.

lol, you spent a sac? No one sees these coins as it is, I wonder if it'll be flagged as a fake by someone...

I think San Francisco in general can produce really exceptional coins, or some real cra... not so exceptional coins. Same with Philly and Denver. I think you get some complaints about quality in every mint product thread. I wonder if it could be one of those old Detroit jokes not to buy a car made on a Friday. Or was it a Monday. I'd bet if everyone here bought a base metal proof set (also S-Mint), we'd get a variety of quality responses.

West Point might be the only mint that consistently produces a nice product.

I bought a few enhanced sac sets, the 2017-s set is a much better deal

Off the top of my head the 2008/07 ASE thread had over 4500 posts

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

That was a CU classic.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

So, how's this 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (Currently Available (again)) going? J/W

• thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Out of 50 sets, 3 have spotting and are going back. An additional 7 had a frosting break on the sac but not going back.

I am very disappointed in the packaging. Everything was just thrown into a large box with one sheet of large-cell bubble wrap on one side and nothing else. I ordered 3 of the American Liberty medals and those large boxes must have bounced around because all 3 arrived damaged - plus all 3 coins had easily visible gouges or hits. Not willing to accept damage on that much of a premium so all three of those going back. This is also my first mint return ever so hopefully it'll go smooth.

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

@baseball said:
    Okay, I think I officially hate this product. I'm driving to the UPS center to return the 4 sets I ordered. Along the way, there is an intersection with more cameras than Fort Knox. I was maybe the 7th vehicle, right behind a bus. As I'm in the intersection, I notice that the light is red and a flash goes off. I couldn't see the light because of the bus (and I was admittedly tailgating making it harder to see). So, its quite possible that I'll have to pay 3-4x the price of the 4 sets just for the privilege of returning. DAMN you US Mint for making such a poor quality product!!! Okay, back to your normal programming.

That is a bummer. I feel your pain.

@BigA said:

I wasn't here when that happened, but I'll bet it was fun! ;)

edited August 24, 2017 1:09PM

@epcjimi1 said:
    So, how's this 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (Currently Available (again)) going? J/W

Your post was number 1051.

@thevolcanogod said:
    Out of 50 sets, 3 have spotting and are going back. An additional 7 had a frosting break on the sac but not going back.

I am very disappointed in the packaging. Everything was just thrown into a large box with one sheet of large-cell bubble wrap on one side and nothing else. I ordered 3 of the American Liberty medals and those large boxes must have bounced around because all 3 arrived damaged - plus all 3 coins had easily visible gouges or hits. Not willing to accept damage on that much of a premium so all three of those going back. This is also my first mint return ever so hopefully it'll go smooth.

The fulfillment center they use should be terminated. My later orders were only in lots of 38 because they just sent me a mint packed box of 38 in a bigger box (LOL). The mint actually packs the boxes of 38 in rows of 2 with foam between each row. The fulfillment center, on the other hand, just throws stuff in giant boxes with no packing. The orders of 100 I placed came with 2 boxes of 38 floating (pounding) on 24 loose single sets. Ridiculous.

if he can't sell 6 sets at 30.88, might as well throw in the towel

bonus e bucks, cheaper than the mint

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file