Home U.S. Coin Forum

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    Shot the half today, all the coins are very nice. Sharp coins equates to good images.

What's that across Unum on the reverse?

Don't quote me on that.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a few nicks by right foot

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    Off the top of my head the 2008/07 ASE thread had over 4500 posts

This one has over 15,000 posts... ;)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/797035/apmex-is-selling-the-5oz-atb-coins-right-now-1-395-per-5-coin-set-sold-out-mtb-selling-on-eba/p1

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@morgansforever said:
    Shot the half today, all the coins are very nice. Sharp coins equates to good images.

What's that across Unum on the reverse?

Some sort of discoloration, don't know really.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

The fulfillment center they use should be terminated. My later orders were only in lots of 38 because they just sent me a mint packed box of 38 in a bigger box (LOL). The mint actually packs the boxes of 38 in rows of 2 with foam between each row. The fulfillment center, on the other hand, just throws stuff in giant boxes with no packing. The orders of 100 I placed came with 2 boxes of 38 floating (pounding) on 24 loose single sets. Ridiculous.

The last fulfillment contractors, Pitney Bowes, was the worst!!! This current vendor does 100% better. I can't comment on the larger boxes of 38 because I've never ordered that many. They may have let you down in this case but believe me Pitney Bowes would have made you scream in frustration.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also noticed discoloration along the Eagle's head and into the banner....I really do like the shiny letters though!! They really pop!

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, Morgans..., that is a nice shot & sort of a glamour version - I like it very much. It was my favorite of the bunch anyway - the quarters IMO were ugly mugs on reverses, the ordinarily plain obverse of GW actually look pretty good.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@thevolcanogod said:
    Out of 50 sets, 3 have spotting and are going back. An additional 7 had a frosting break on the sac but not going back.

I am very disappointed in the packaging. Everything was just thrown into a large box with one sheet of large-cell bubble wrap on one side and nothing else. I ordered 3 of the American Liberty medals and those large boxes must have bounced around because all 3 arrived damaged - plus all 3 coins had easily visible gouges or hits. Not willing to accept damage on that much of a premium so all three of those going back. This is also my first mint return ever so hopefully it'll go smooth.

The fulfillment center they use should be terminated. My later orders were only in lots of 38 because they just sent me a mint packed box of 38 in a bigger box (LOL). The mint actually packs the boxes of 38 in rows of 2 with foam between each row. The fulfillment center, on the other hand, just throws stuff in giant boxes with no packing. The orders of 100 I placed came with 2 boxes of 38 floating (pounding) on 24 loose single sets. Ridiculous.

I agree, to say it clearly, THEY SUCK!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Rich49Rich49 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Ordered 5 sets returning 2 scratches on dime and Lincoln on one set + stain on the neck of one quarter in 2 sets.I had to cobble 3 sets good. Came in a box had no packing box was made for 12 :( Terrible

photo index.gif

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The last fulfillment contractors, Pitney Bowes, was the worst!!! This current vendor does 100% better. I can't comment on the larger boxes of 38 because I've never ordered that many. They may have let you down in this case but believe me Pitney Bowes would have made you scream in frustration.

Not even possible to be worse. They ship sets of 100 in a box that could hold 200 sets with virtually NO packing. There are two large, 36 pound boxes of 38 bouncing on top of 24 loose single sets. God knows how many sets got broken that way.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Seller has listed lots of 10 sets ,20 sets of the 225th sets..rejects??? ..listed @ $30.00 per set

LOl ...retired seller????? .. he has over $$$ 500,000.00 of coins listed on the bay

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2017 7:26PM

@7Jaguars said:
    Wow, Morgans..., that is a nice shot & sort of a glamour version - I like it very much. It was my favorite of the bunch anyway - the quarters IMO were ugly mugs on reverses, the ordinarily plain obverse of GW actually look pretty good.

Thanks for the compliment, the post editing consisted of a dash of contrast and a bit of darkening. Easy coin to shoot.
    Shooting specs:
    1/125th ss, f7.1, iso 100, auto wb, manual focus, center weighted metering, lights at 10 n 2, about 13" off the coin. Shot with a Nikon AF Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8 D lens, mounted to a Nikon D3100.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's likely that the distribution center is playing a game with costs/profit.

IE....instead of being an amazon, and worrying about customer feedback and experience, so stock boxes and material for anything and everything, they go and have just certain sized boxes and probably instruct employees to only use the bare minimum in packing materials.

They likely have a set contract with the mint and try to maximize their profits around that.

End result: People get subpar packing that will damage things.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

@bestday said:

Seller has listed lots of 10 sets ,20 sets of the 225th sets..rejects??? ..listed @ $30.00 per set

LOl ...retired seller????? .. he has over $$$ 500,000.00 of coins listed on the bay

By "rejects", I meant sets he that didn't make muster. It's possible he bought 1000 sets, or more, cherry-picked them for slabbing and is now working through the excess. Hard to explain the rock bottom price otherwise. Even if he only paid $28.50 (5% discount), $31 is not a profit maker by itself.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kudbegud said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Not even possible to be worse. They ship sets of 100 in a box that could hold 200 sets with virtually NO packing. There are two large, 36 pound boxes of 38 bouncing on top of 24 loose single sets. God knows how many sets got broken that way.

Actually, he's right. By the time the PBGS/Novitex contract ran out, they weren't even in the fulfillment business anymore, and didn't give a crap.

Some of their packaging was worse than PFSWeb. (And I admit, PFSWeb leaves much to be desired.)

That said, I only ordered this set two at a time, so they came rather well packaged...

• thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    IE....instead of being an amazon, and worrying about customer feedback and experience, so stock boxes and material for anything and everything, they go and have just certain sized boxes and probably instruct employees to only use the bare minimum in packing materials.

On my order they "destroyed" $180 out of $750 of my order and that's just the stuff I sent back - there was damage to other sets I ordered that didn't matter to me that I could have sent back as well.

I bought $100 of stuff at Netrition around the same time and they took way more care packaging my low-carb BBQ sauce than I got on my mint products. That's sad.

• nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

Now the mint is just &*#$!~ with us......hahaha........

Don't quote me on that.

I think the mint didn't want to lay a big 13,000 on to the bulk buyers, so they are just raising it a little at a time

• nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

"Sales as of Aug. 24 were 189,089 sets, down by 25,256 from the 214,345 sets recorded sold by Aug. 16. On Aug. 8, sales stood at 220,397 sets."
    ( from http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/08/enhanced-uncirculated-set-sales-continue-plummet.html )

Implies that a good 25k may have been taken out of circulation.

thanks for the link. if that's the case this set will do extremely well in the future with a mintage below 200,000 and thousands of return happy . flippers will be kicking themselves, no guts no glory.

all the returns have cost the mint probably 75,000 just in burned up man hours already. they would be better off just destroying the damaged sets, and that's what it looks like they will do

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

It would be very fitting if it took 225 days to sell out.

yes, if they actually minted 225,000 sets, looks like the number will be under 200,000

edited August 25, 2017 10:50AM

@coinpalice said:
    thanks for the link. if that's the case this set will do extremely well in the future with a mintage below 200,000 and thousands of return happy . flippers will be kicking themselves, no guts no glory.

re -Read the CW headline ...Sales of the 225th set continue Downward Spiral..... those holding too many sets... need a rally soon .. Glad coin club passed on the 100 - NGC 70 225th sets .

Still no graded sets on BST, nor raw sets .. sets next week, will have been available for 4 weeks

@morgansforever said:

Nice photo..

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2017 11:18AM

Nice pics ^

link -

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2017/08/enhanced-uncirculated-set-sales-continue-plummet.all.html

" Sales of 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin set in downward spiral
    Canceled orders, returns affecting cumulative totals; latest tally shows sales down by 25,256 sets "

10%

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2017 11:38AM

I might buy a PCGS 70 set if they hit below $200 which is happening now with the auctions but worried about the spotting and the fact that there is no longer a spotting guarantee. These sets are definitely getting cheaper.

@pf70collector said:
    I might buy a PCGS 70 set if they hit below $200 which is happening now with the auctions but worried about the spotting and the fact that there is no longer a spotting guarantee. These sets are definitely getting cheaper.

PCGS 70s............ 225th 10 .pc sets nose dive on ebay.. now ..... $177.50 - 185.00

PCGS 69s 10 pc set....................s 89.00

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@pf70collector said:

PCGS 70s............ 225th 10 .pc sets nose dive on ebay.. now ..... $177.50 - 185.00

PCGS 69s 10 pc set....................s 89.00

That is a crazy price. Thanks for the heads up

@BigA said:
    Why pay $252 when i have been getting them for under $190?...and the 69 pop will be skewed because of the 70's or nothing request

Thanks to @BGA's info.... saved me from buying the 225th 70 sets at top .. 10pc PCGS 1st Strike 70s.... now selling $177-200
    ;););););););););)

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2017 4:37PM

With returns now in the tens of thousands (some legit returns for damage...others, not so much)...I suspect that the Mint is going to cut their losses and simply destroy many of these sets without replacements issued.

That being said, let's say that the final mintage lands between 185k and 200k...any guesses on prices for raw, clean sets 1 year and 5 years out?

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can buy these SP70's really cheap except for the cent & half,,,,,, mostly the cent.

GrandAm :)
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I Enhanced my Enhanced set. Much better. Excuse the sideway pic on my phone

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Is this a set that will be worth more still in the OGP ??
    Seems like everyone & his mother is breaking them out & sending them to be graded.

Any comments ???

Chris

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    With returns now in the tens of thousands (some legit returns for damage...others, not so much)...I suspect that the Mint is going to cut their losses and simply destroy many of these sets without replacements issued.

That being said, let's say that the final mintage lands between 185k and 200k...any guesses on prices for raw, clean sets 1 year and 5 years out?

My WAG: $45 one year out, $100+ five years out. The lowest non-proof mintage cent, nickel and dime (mostly the cent) will drive demand, with an assist from the low-mintage half.

I notice that the price of raw Lincoln cents (including shipping) has jumped from under $8 to over $12 during the past week. Impressive considering that the set is still available from the Mint.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

@aus3000tin said:
    Is this a set that will be worth more still in the OGP ??
    Seems like everyone & his mother is breaking them out & sending them to be graded.

Any comments ???

Chris

I expect that the prices of OGP sets and graded SP69 sets will converge at some point, while SP70 sets will carry less of a premium than that which exists now. Plenty of OGP sets will continue to be available. Graded sets for sale appear more plentiful right now because OGP sets are still available from the Mint.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 6:39AM

ATS cutoff date (Have to be received by) for ER/FR is this Thursday (31st). I could not find the FS cutoff date listed on the PCGS site

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep buying sets singles and doubles. Cracked out a single to plate 24k. Figured it would grab the matt finish and did it ever. Wow. All grading 70 so why grade at all. Sorry grader guys.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    ATS cutoff date (Have to be received by) for ER/FR is this Thursday (31st). I could not find the FS cutoff date listed on the PCGS site

That really assumes anybody buying at the later dates actually gives a rat's fuzzy posterior about first barf labels.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
    edited August 26, 2017 8:05AM

No assumptions made..... Just providing a date....and no different from any other FS/ER label re: give a rats's fuzzy posterior

Wow. All grading 70 so why grade at all. Sorry grader guys.>

I couldn't find any POP reports from either company. Where did you get your data?

PCGS Coin Information
    PCGS #
    Date, mintmark
    2017-S
    Denomination
    1C
    Variety
    Shield Enhanced Unc Set First Strike
    Country
    The United States of America
    Grade
    SP70RD
    Holder Type
    Standard
    Population
    Pop Higher

going to get some coins graded, lol

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think those two examples show the basic problem: 90% 70s, 10% 69s.

If those kind of #s hold up, there's very little registry incentive driving up top pop prices - the only thing standing between you and it is buying a couple sets and sending the best coin off to be graded.

It's the same kind of thing we've seen in the proof sets of the 1960s - by now just about every set remaining has been picked over by several dealers and any with decent coins have been broken up to be slabbed. So you start with the assumption that the pile at a dealers table at a show are pretty much dogs.

It will take a lot of years to work through 225K sets, but ... the end game is the same...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file