Home Sports Talk

College Football 2017

Comments

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    If Alabama loses a nail biter to Auburn and Ohio State runs the table I would expect Alabama to be in and the Buckeyes out. BTW, I would have no complaints.

Won't happen. Ratings matter, and putting two sec teams in would not be good as they found out in 2011. Considering the big ten is one of the two best conferences, the right choice would be to put ohio state in over Alabama. Ohio state would have a better resume than alabama with three Wins over top 25 teams.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 12:04AM

There is zero chance a one loss Alabama team gets passed by a two loss Ohio State team. Zero. I actually hopes this scenario happens. Maybe they pass a two loss Alabama team.

With Purdue putting a beat down on Iowa at Kinnick this past week it makes Ohio States 31 loss to Iowa to Kinnick that much worse if that's even possible. That was Purdues first Big Ten road win of the season. That was being discussed a lot this weekend. Wisconsin is the Big Tens hope

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited November 20, 2017 12:10AM

@Justacommeman said:
    There is zero chance a one loss Alabama team gets passed by a two loss Ohio State team. Zero. I actually hopes this scenario happens. Maybe they pass a two loss Alabama team.

With Purdue putting a beat down on Iowa at Kinnick this past week it makes Ohio States 31 loss to Iowa to Kinnick that much worse if that's even possible. That was Purdues first Big Ten road win of the season. That was being discussed a lot this weekend. Wisconsin is the Big Tens hope

mark

Did you watch espn championship drive today? According to their percentages, ohio state has a better chance of getting in than alabama if alabama loses to auburn. Alabama has had a pretty soft schedule this year. What's their three best wins?

edited November 20, 2017 12:14AM

This Is Ohio States best chance and it involves Alabama winning out and not losing.

The SEC cannibalizes itself as Alabama knocks off Auburn, then Georgia in the SEC Championship, just one week after the Bulldogs lose at Georgia Tech, leaving the Crimson Tide as the only SEC team deserving of a Playoff bid. Clemson gets tripped up at South Carolina and loses its second game in a row in the ACC Championship to Miami. Notre Dame loses on the road at Stanford in Week 13 and TCU knocks off Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship.

This happens and your likely in. A two loss Notre Dame team could edge out a two loss Ohio State team.

Good night Buckey

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Lol

edited November 20, 2017 12:55AM

That scenerio above was taken from a national writer. It's pretty spot on.

The fact is the past 12 games OSU has not looked like OSU

A three point win in OT at home against Michigan

A 31 point loss to Clemson

A 15 point loss to Oklahoma at home

A one point win over Penn State at home

A 31 point loss to Iowa on the road

They beat the teams they should merciless. The tougher teams minus the MSU win at home not so much. Who knows maybe they find a way in but they need a tremendous amount of help while beating Michigan and Wisconsin.

As much as I would like to see new teams in that final four I wouldnt mind seeing OSU play Clemson again so part of me is pulling for you.

mark

You mentioned Purdue beating iowa. Purdue beat a sec team with a winning record 35-3

edited November 20, 2017 12:55AM

@garnettstyle said:
    You mentioned Purdue beating iowa. Purdue beat a sec team with a winning record 35-3

So?

The fact is that Purdue beat Iowa 24-15 at Iowa. The fact is Iowa beat Ohio State 55-24. That's all that was meant by Purdues win at Iowa hurt OSU. It exposed Iowa. Purdue only road win of the season in the Big Ten.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

So?

The fact is that Purdue beat Iowa 24-15 at Iowa. The fact is Iowa beat Ohio State 55-24. That's all that was meant by Purdues win at Iowa hurt OSU. It exposed Iowa. Purdue only road win of the season in the Big Ten.

mark

But didn't you say that penn state should've been in over ohio state last year? Despite penn state losing to michigan by 39 points?

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Hey Dr. Buster, you pulling for Auburn or Alabama? Y'all get the winner.

Man that's a tough question, same year redemption, or 2012 SEC/national championship redemption (everybody knew whoever won the SEC was going to win it all that year). Still a bitter taste in my mouth on that game.

I think I'd rather have Bama honestly this year. Whatever Auburn beat us, Bama beats Auburn, then UGA beats Bama points/cred that gives us I think is worth more than playing Auburn again.

edited November 20, 2017 11:13AM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

So?

mark

But didn't you say that penn state should've been in over ohio state last year? Despite penn state losing to michigan by 39 points?

Didn't Penn State beat Ohio State last year or did I dream that? Besides I was proven right judging by the 31-0 beating OSU took at the hands of Clemson. Penn State would have been the better choice. I learned that logic from you.

Is far as I know you aren't on the CFB committee. I'm not either. So sit back and relax as your lobbying is being wasted. It's out of your and OSU's control. They need a ton of help.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

So?

mark

Didn't Penn State beat Ohio State last year or did I dream that? Besides I was proven right judging by the 31-0 beating OSU took at the hands of Clemson. Penn State would have been the better choice. I learned that logic from you.

Is far as I know you aren't on the CFB committee. I'm not either. So sit back and relax as your lobbying is being wasted. It's out of your and OSU's control. They need a ton of help.

mark

How many points do your wolverines score this Saturday?

edited November 20, 2017 12:50PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

So?

mark

mark

Depends on who is the QB. If Peter's is out and OKorn is in I'd say minus 6.

mark

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is Michigan week. I believe you can throw the records out the window. They are irrelevant. A few times we upset the favored Wolverines but many more times they upset a heavily favored Buckeye squad. Coach Meyer says we are "laser focused." We better be. If we are I think we will win, if not, look out. BTW if OSU wants to maintain that small chance of getting in the playoffs they better not win back to back squeakers.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I enjoy looking at the 538 page on playoff probabilities.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-college-football-predictions/

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

Wow. I'll take a 28% chance with the season we have had. 8% chance to win it all. Great. I would think 8% would be the chance to get in the playoffs.

Ralph

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:

So the way I read this, Ohio State has a 56% chance to win the B1G Championship game vs Wisconsin (44% chance). Fair enough I guess, Ohio State is probably a 6 or 7 pt favorite in that game assuming both win this weekend and no major team changing injuries. Wisconsin will need to win out of course to make the CFP Final 4.

Good chance there will be two 2 loss teams in the playoffs, if auburn can upset alabama.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    Good chance there will be two 2 loss teams in the playoffs, if auburn can upset alabama.

Well, according to you I guess Georgia can throw in the towel, they don't have a chance.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@ADG said:

That is very interesting. I am surprised Ohio State is so high. I would love to know how Washington State has a 3% chance to get in (higher than Notre Dame's 1%). I would love to see that line of games that has to happen. Lol!

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Nothing has changed. Alabama, Miami, Clemson, Oklahoma, Wisconsin in playoffs
    if they win out.

Auburn or GA probably in if they win out.

Ohio State might get in if they win out and other events fall into place.

My guess: Alabama wins out. Clemson beats Miami by enough to knock Miami out.
    Oklahoma wins out and is in. Wisconsin wins out and is in.

How about a Georgia/ND rematch? How about Auburn/Ohio State?

Ohio State is a 7 point favorite over Wisconsin.

@garnettstyle said:

How many points was OSU favored over Iowa? That number seems to have slipped my mind, and yours.

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

So?

mark

mark

Depends on who is the QB. If it's OKorn I'd say minus 6.

mark > @larryallen73 said:

@ADG said:

That is very interesting. I am surprised Ohio State is so high. I would love to know how Washington State has a 3% chance to get in (higher than Notre Dame's 1%). I would love to see that line of games that has to happen. Lol!

Larry you can actually see this by clicking on the tabs to the right of the teams. I think a 2 loss Notre Dame team a good shot of getting in if someone falls

m

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

How many points was OSU favored over Iowa? That number seems to have slipped my mind, and yours.

Ohio State was favored by 21 over Iowa and lost by 31.

Ohio State was favor by 7 over Oklahoma and Penn State

mark

New Ratings:

mark

There is no way Mississippi state should be ahead of michigan state. The love fest this committee has with the sec is just trying to make alabama's resume look better, in case they lose to auburn.

@garnettstyle said:
    There is no way Mississippi state should be ahead of michigan state. The love fest this committee has with the sec is just trying to make alabama's resume look better, in case they lose to auburn.

Why not, Miss State would beat 'em.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

We might find out if Miss State gets matched up against a Big Ten Team in a Bowl game... The Spartans would be a good match up-not sure who wins, but I think the Bulldogs would be favored.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

when ifs and buts are candy and nuts everyday will be Christmas!!! :)

even though I'm a Buckeye's fan I just want them to lose and put an end to this season. their erratic play seems to be a reflection of poor play calling, lackluster motivation and a starting QB who shows up and really isn't that dependable. I have been watching JT Barrett miss open receivers for 4 seasons now. it's time to move on from him.

can anyone, an OSU supporter or hater, really say this Team deserves to be in the playoffs or excites them with their play??

@keets said:

even though I'm a Buckeye's fan I just want them to lose and put an end to this season. their erratic play seems to be a reflection of poor play calling, lackluster motivation and a starting QB who shows up and really isn't that dependable. I have been watching JT Barrett miss open receivers for 4 seasons now. it's time to move on from him.

can anyone, an OSU supporter or hater, really say this Team deserves to be in the playoffs or excites them with their play??

You're not a true buckeyes fan if you want them to lose.

If they beat Michigan on the road, and then beat a top four or five team and win one of the best conferences in football. Then Hell yes they deserve to be in the playoffs.

edited November 22, 2017 6:41AM

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

If they beat Michigan on the road, and then beat a top four or five team and win one of the best conferences in football. Then Hell yes they deserve to be in the playoffs.

Not my opinion but some think if OSU beats Wisconsin the B1G will be left out because they have been beaten 69-0 the last two years of the playoffs. Like I said, not my opinion, just heard some guest on the Finebaum Show mention this...... dang, 69-0.

hey garnett, bite me and read the first line of my post, you know, the one about ifs. a loss for the Buckeyes is sort of like euthanasia ala CFB.

I would also point out that just because I don't bleed scarlet and hold on thinking my bad Team is the best there is has noting to do with being a FAN, it has to do with facing reality. it's about time you did that.

@Bullsitter said:
    Not my opinion but some think if OSU beats Wisconsin the B1G will be left out because they have been beaten 69-0 the last two years of the playoffs. Like I said, not my opinion, just heard some guest on the Finebaum Show mention this...... dang, 69-0.

I am sure that 69-0 stat is just fake news. Didn't really happen. Lol. Yikes 69 to zero!? I didn't realize that. That's an interesting stat for sure.

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Why not, Miss State would beat 'em.

Oh sure they would Bull but that's because of the unfair advantage that everybody outside the Big 10 has in bowl games. I don't remember the theory but something about all the freezing cold people going down to nice warm sunny spots around new years day causes them to play bad or something. Have to look at the last two years of college football threads to get that "theory."

Weather Alert.....Current conditions:

Orlando Florida 74 and sunny.
    Columbus Ohio 34 and Cloudy..... ;)

New Ratings:

mark

@larryallen73 said:

@Bullsitter said:

I am sure that 69-0 stat is just fake news. Didn't really happen. Lol. Yikes 69 to zero!? I didn't realize that. That's an interesting stat for sure.

This can not be true

mark

This just might be the best opportunity the Badgers will have to play for a national championship. Their defense is among the best in the country. If they play a traditional ball controlled offense which they are perfectly capable of doing against the Buckeyes, they can win. But that means ball control for 35-37 minutes. The Badgers may not even be the fourth team in if they play their game.

edited November 22, 2017 12:50PM

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

Nice try. However, the committee already proved two years ago, that previous years has no barring on the current season, when they left out a 12-1 defending national champion.

Who was the 12-1 defending National Champion?

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

Nice try. However, the committee already proved two years ago, that previous years has no barring on the current season, when they left out a 12-1 defending national champion.

And last year they left out the Big Ten Conference Champion. There is a precedence for that as well.

A ton has to happen for OSU to get in besides just two wins. It Could happen. It's been a wacky year.

The fact that the Big Ten was shut out in the last two playoffs only illustrates one thing. The Big Ten was overmatched. That can't be debated.

mark

@Bullsitter said:
    Who was the 12-1 defending National Champion?

Back in 1953 or so.... J/k. I am sure the resident Big 10 historian will fill us in on every last detail.

The fact that the Big Ten was shut out in the last two playoffs only illustrates one thing. The Big Ten was overmatched. That can't be debated.

Mark, by now you should know that garnett will debate night/day and always think he has the winning argument. Joe Walsh once put out an album who's title is fitting.

Illinois and Michigan State were co-champs in 1953. MSU was fairly new to the conference and got the nod to play in the 1954 Rosebowl. They beat Red Sanders' highly ranked Ulcans.

The 12-1 team still falls within current events...

I know many like to pile on Garnett but this is a valid point. OSU was the defending Champion who at 11-1 was left out. They lost one game on a last play of the game field goal. Bad timing as the loss was at the end of the year rather than the beginning. OSU was as good or better than any team in the playoffs and I feel could have won it all. They were 12-1 after demolishing The Irish in their bowl game.

Ralph

edited November 22, 2017 6:03PM

@Brick said:

I know many like to pile on Garnett but this is a valid point. OSU was the defending Champion who at 11-1 was left out. They lost one game on a last play of the game field goal. Bad timing as the loss was at the end of the year rather than the beginning. OSU was as good or better than any team in the playoffs and I feel could have won it all. They were 12-1 after demolishing The Irish in their bowl game.

Yep and in fairness they finished behind Iowa and MSU that year who were both 12-1 after the Big Ten Championship. Impossible to put them in. It wouldn't have mattered if they lost in week 4 or week 10. A one loss MSU beat OSU that year at OSU. MSU beat an undefeated Iowa team in a great championship game. There was no scenerio in which to place OSU ahead of either Iowa or MSU. None. Zero. Never.

Ohio State only finished 7th that year in the final CFB committes final polling after the regular season. They were placed behind a 10-2 Stanford. They played an anemic schedule that year and had a few lackluster performances. No doubt they had the talent to win it all that year. They just didn't deserve to be in the top 4. Those are the points anf facts he doesn't want to accept.

mark

The mega conferences and conference championship structure today is just not the best format for determining a national champion in college footballl with a four team playoff. Didn't Iowa play Stanford in a mismatch as was the ND-OSU matchup? And rest assured there will be some bad matchups in the upcoming post season. The team most likely to get the toughest match up out of the Big Ten is Northwestern. A 9-3 Wildcats team could face Auburn or Georgia. Penn State or Ohio State would be the better match up with either Auburn or Georgia.

Restore the conferences to 8 major conferences with each team in a conference required to play each other and there would be an 8 team playoff.

edited November 22, 2017 10:48PM

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

Yep and in fairness they finished behind Iowa and MSU that year who were both 12-1 after the Big Ten Championship. Impossible to put them in. It wouldn't have mattered if they lost in week 4 or week 10. A one loss MSU beat OSU that year at OSU. MSU beat an undefeated Iowa team in a great championship game. There was no scenerio in which to place OSU ahead of either Iowa or MSU. None. Zero. Never.

Ohio State only finished 7th that year in the final CFB committes final polling after the regular season. They were placed behind a 10-2 Stanford. They played an anemic schedule that year and had a few lackluster performances. No doubt they had the talent to win it all that year. They just didn't deserve to be in the top 4. Those are the points anf facts he doesn't want to accept.

mark

Um, the mistake the committee made was putting Oklahoma in over ohio state. So there should've been two big ten teams in the playoffs. With all that NFL talent the buckeyes had that year, they would've crushed Oklahoma and probably alabama as well.

After the conference championship games, the composite computer had them ranked number four...ahead of Oklahoma who lost to a bad Texas team. They most certainly deserved a spot.

edited November 23, 2017 3:56AM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Brick said:

mark

Um, the mistake the committee made was putting Oklahoma in over ohio state. So there should've been two big ten teams in the playoffs. With all that NFL talent the buckeyes had that year, they would've crushed Oklahoma and probably alabama as well.

After the conference championship games, the composite computer had them ranked number four...ahead of Oklahoma who lost to a bad Texas team. They most certainly deserved a spot.

They made no such mistake. If that were the case it was a mistake putting in Ohio State last year as they were crushed by Clemson. You don't know until you play the games.

Iowa deserved the bid over OSU and they didn't go either. Their only loss was to MSU on pretty much the last play of the game. MSU beat OSU.

The committee had OSU 7th. They could have had them 6th but that's it. OSU Wasn't even seriously considered that year as they were third fiddle in the Big Ten that year.

Of course after the bowl games are played the deck can be shuffled but you don't know until after you play the games. That's why they play the games. Ohio State would be undefeated this year based on being favorites before the games are played. However we know how that turned out.

Happy Thanksgiving

mark

edited November 23, 2017 4:12AM

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

Even after being destroyed by 31 to an unranked Iowa team? Even after losing at home by 15 to Oklahoma? Do you think the committee is going to forget those two losses and how soundly they were beaten?

Maybe they get in but they need a lot to happen to get in. A two loss ND team probably gets in ahead of OSU, a two loss Clemson or Miami probably get in ahead of OSU, a one loss Alabama team gets in ahead of OSU, a one loss and possible two loss Georgia team could get in before OSU. A two loss Auburn team gets in before OSU. Note that only two SEC teams would get is in the above scenerio. A two loss Oklahoma team will get in ahead of OSU based on their head to head.

mark