Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2017

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

if my failing memory serves me correctly, prior to the season Desmond Howard predicted that Miami would make the CFP and there were scores chomping at the bit to administer a drug test

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 9:24AM

@galaxy27 said:
    if my failing memory serves me correctly, prior to the season Desmond Howard predicted that Miami would make the CFP and there were scores chomping at the bit to administer a drug test

He might be right, I like Desmond, he knows the game. Coach Richt knows how to coach, I hope they win the ACC.

• Options

Calling Garnett, calling Garnett.

Hey, congrats on the big win yesterday. Good to get that taste of defeat out of your mouth.

Question...............since Miami beat Notre Dame,
    Isn't that almost like the SEC beating the Big 10?

Just sumpin' to chew on.... ;)

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 12:48PM

Buckeyes jump to #8 in the polls.

My top four

BAMA
    mIAMI
    Wisconsin
    Oklahoma

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

On any given Saturday anyone can beat anyone. However it seems strange to see anyone blowing out anyone.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 5:46PM

The only poll that matters now is the one on Tuesday

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

You mean the poll that had michigan unranked?

• Options

The really important one is the final one. Many teams in the hunt will be playing each other. Lots of football left.

Ralph

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Buckeyes have now risen to the stage of being an enigma wrapped inside a riddle and surrounded by a mystery. they played reasonably well and were improving till the Penn State game when they looked flat --- for three quarters. they stage a comeback and gather some believers only to climb into the toilet against a below average Team in Iowa. next up they humiliate a decent Team.

I am lost. as much as I'd like to see the Buckeyes succeed I still think they aren't a very good Team. it may be the way they get to a four loss season is by losing the Big 10 Championship and then whatever consolation Bowl game they get.

as for what will be the new number one, Alabama, they don't seem as good as in the past. I see them getting by on Coaching instead of talent right now, Saban seems to be able to motivate, teach and win games that others would lose. he looked worried a few times on Saturday but still gets the wins.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Likely playoff teams:
    Alabama (100% if they win out)
    Clemson (probably beats Miami)
    Oklahoma (must win out, obviously)
    Wisc (must win out)

Pac 12 is out. ND is out.

If Wisc wins the Big Ten, I do not see them left out. They have to beat Mich and OSU to get there.

Not likely to have 2 teams from ACC or SEC in the playoffs.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@s4ny said:
    Likely playoff teams:
    Alabama (100% if they win out)
    Clemson (probably beats Miami)
    Oklahoma (must win out, obviously)
    Wisc (must win out)

Pac 12 is out. ND is out.

If Wisc wins the Big Ten, I do not see them left out. They have to beat Mich and OSU to get there.

Not likely to have 2 teams from ACC or SEC in the playoffs.

I agree for the most part. Pac 12 and ND are out. I agree totally.

Alabama could probably lose one of their remaining games and still be in.

Clemson/Miami winner is in - loser probably out.

Oklahoma if they win out seems reasonable but could they be jumped if they play poorly their last two games?

I just do not see Wisc winning out so who could be 4th? What if UGA wins out and beats Alabama in SEC title game? I could see both of them being in the final 4.

It's hard to imagine Miami being in, if they lose to Clemson, unless it's a nailbiter/battle!? What if it's 27-26 type game with a field goal by Clemson to win? Could maybe a one loss Miami still be there?

Lots of games to go I realize. Fun guessing though.

• Options

ESPN's teams that are alive for the playoffs in their opinion:

Here are the final 10:

Still in contention

Alabama Crimson Tide
    Trending: EVEN
    Nick Saban's team is dealing with injuries, and Mississippi State tested the Tide like no other foe has this year, as Alabama failed to force a turnover for the first time in 37 games. Suddenly, Alabama looks vulnerable, heading toward an Iron Bowl visit to Auburn in two weeks. Isn't this right where the coach wants his team?

Miami Hurricanes
    Trending: UP
    Quit doubting the Hurricanes. Long gone are the concerns over close wins in four consecutive ACC games. Miami has now inspired a phenomenon by forcing four turnovers in four straight games. It punctuated the resurgence with a dominant showing in a 41-8 win over Notre Dame that cemented one team as a contender and exposed another as something else.

Oklahoma Sooners
    The Sooners have gained more than 500 yards in all but one game -- a win at Ohio State in which they went for 490. Baker Mayfield's lead in the Heisman race is huge, and OU has all but secured its spot in the Big 12 title game. It sets up nicely for the Sooners' return to the playoff. And as we know, things always go as planned in this league. Right?

Clemson Tigers
    The Tigers never lost control of their destiny after a Week 7 loss to Syracuse, but losses Saturday by two teams ranked ahead of Clemson bode well for the ACC Atlantic champ. It must take care of the in-state competition before a matchup with Miami that looks like a standout even on a championship weekend full of meaningful games.

Wisconsin Badgers
    The Badgers' defense is in cruise control despite key injuries, holding Iowa to the third-lowest yardage total gained by an AP-ranked team in the past 20 years. Suddenly, Wisconsin, after hearing questions about its worthiness as a playoff contender, controls its fate with Michigan headed to Madison, followed by a likely date with Ohio State in the Big Ten title game.

Auburn Tigers
    The top two-loss contender, the Tigers may just control their own fate, which would rate as new territory in the playoff era. With Alabama looming, Auburn can earn a rematch with Georgia in the SEC title game with a win over the Tide. As Kerryon Johnson comes on strong, the Tigers look set to jump at least three spots this week in the rankings.

Georgia Bulldogs
    Trending: DOWN
    It's not all bad for the Bulldogs. It's not good, either, after Auburn ran all over the nation's No. 1-ranked team. The margin for error is gone for Georgia, which gained just 230 yards in defeat and finally suffered consequences generally associated with reliance on a freshman QB, as Jake Fromm was sacked four times.

Ohio State Buckeyes
    Much to the dismay of Penn State and countless others, the Buckeyes are still breathing. Left for dead a week ago after a 31-point loss at Iowa, Ohio State remains a big favorite to face Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game. The Buckeyes would need help as a two-loss league champ, but perhaps not as much as you think.

Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Trending: EVEN
    Like record-setting quarterback Mason Rudolph, who toils in the ever-present shadow of Mayfield, the Cowboys cannot be forgotten after a harrowing win at Iowa State. Oklahoma State must root for Texas Tech this week to beat TCU, opening the path to a Bedlam rematch in the Big 12 title game. But even with a win over Oklahoma, the Pokes would remain a long shot.

TCU Horned Frogs
    Trending: DOWN
    If Oklahoma State has hope, so does TCU. The Horned Frogs beat the Cowboys on the road in Week 4. Yes, TCU was outmatched against Oklahoma, but that can be corrected on Dec. 2 if the Frogs handle business against Texas Tech and Baylor. And what sweet justice it would provide for this program if it can slip in the door as a two-loss Big 12 champion.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

You mean the poll that had michigan unranked?

Yes and they deserved to be left out at that time. That wasn't so hard was it?

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

CFB ratings

M

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Miami
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Auburn
    7. Georgia
    8. Notre Dame
    9. Ohio State
    10. Penn State
    11. USC
    12. TCU
    13. Oklahoma State
    14. Washington State
    15. Central Florida
    16. Mississippi State
    17. Michigan State
    18. Washington
    19. NC State
    20. LSU
    21. Memphis
    22. Stanford
    23. Northwestern
    24. Michigan
    25. Boise State
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    CFB ratings

M

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Miami
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Auburn
    7. Georgia
    8. Notre Dame
    9. Ohio State
    10. Penn State
    11. USC
    12. TCU
    13. Oklahoma State
    14. Washington State
    15. Central Florida
    16. Mississippi State
    17. Michigan State
    18. Washington
    19. NC State
    20. LSU
    21. Memphis
    22. Stanford
    23. Northwestern
    24. Michigan
    25. Boise State

Things could get real interesting the next few weeks with the top 10. I'd love to see Wisconsin win out and win the Big Ten Title over OSU, Miami beat Clemson, and Auburn beat Alabama. I want chaos to end the year and I want to see some new teams in the title conversation.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I am beginning to see Wisconsin having some chance against Ohio State in the BT Championship game. Really depends on Hornibrook. Looks like Marino at times, then like Trent Dilfer at others. If he can play well they have a shot.

Their schedule is what it is. They scheduled 3 creampuffs at the start of the season. The rest of the season is courtesy of the Big 14.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

@ADG said:
    I am beginning to see Wisconsin having some chance against Ohio State in the BT Championship game. Really depends on Hornibrook. Looks like Marino at times, then like Trent Dilfer at others. If he can play well they have a shot.

Their schedule is what it is. They scheduled 3 creampuffs at the start of the season. The rest of the season is courtesy of the Big 14.

They have to beat Michigan first and that is probably the toughest game they have had to date, no!?

• Options

@ADG said:

>

Same with Alabama because FSU is down this year,

• Options

@orioles93 said:

@Justacommeman said:
    CFB ratings

M

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Miami
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Auburn
    7. Georgia
    8. Notre Dame
    9. Ohio State
    10. Penn State
    11. USC
    12. TCU
    13. Oklahoma State
    14. Washington State
    15. Central Florida
    16. Mississippi State
    17. Michigan State
    18. Washington
    19. NC State
    20. LSU
    21. Memphis
    22. Stanford
    23. Northwestern
    24. Michigan
    25. Boise State

Things could get real interesting the next few weeks with the top 10. I'd love to see Wisconsin win out and win the Big Ten Title over OSU, Miami beat Clemson, and Auburn beat Alabama. I want chaos to end the year and I want to see some new teams in the title conversation.

@garnettstyle said:

@ADG said:

>

there is some germs of truth to that. Alabama has played the 49th hardest schedule to date and Wisconsin the 64th. Iowa who plays in the same division as Wisconsin has played the 2nd hardest schedule in the land. The hardest schedule in college football! Florida State. If everyone in the top 10 ten played FSU'scschedule many might have 3 losses

mark

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@larryallen73 said:

They have to beat Michigan first and that is probably the toughest game they have had to date, no!?

Could be. I thought Iowa would be tough after they stomped OSU, but WI really throttled them. Iowa scored 14 points on 2 interceptions. Iowa offense had 66 yards.

Certainly feel they can beat Michigan and Harbum if they play up to par.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Alabama, Clemson, Miami, Oklahoma, & Wisconsin, control their own destiny.
    Win out and they are in. Yes. Wisconsin.

Regardless of how close Clemson/Miami is, the loser needs other teams to lose
    to get in.

SEC could be a mess under various scenarios.

Best outcome for Ohio State is for Alabama to remain undefeated
    and ACC title game to be somewhat lopsided. Of course, Ohio State
    has to win all their remaining games.

• Options

If the Buckeyes win out I still don't believe they belong in the final four.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    If the Buckeyes win out I still don't believe they belong in the final four.

They may not belong but I could see it happening.

mark

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@ADG said:

>

FSU is down this year because of Alabama. If you disagree with that you don't know jack squat about football.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2017 11:32PM

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@ADG said:

>

FSU is down this year because of Alabama. If you disagree with that you don't know jack squat about football.

Nevermind. Carry on. Bullsitter I love your style

mark

• Options
    edited November 15, 2017 11:51PM

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@ADG said:

>

Nah, FSU was overrated in the pre season.

Ohio state beat alabama with a 3rd string QB.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2017 12:57AM

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@ADG said:

>

So were a lot of teams including Ohio State, USC, Penn State and Michigan. All 8-2 but each with major warts on their resume.

mark

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@ADG said:

>

So were a lot of teams including Ohio State, USC, Penn State and Michigan. All 8-2 but each with major warts on their resume.

mark

Not sure I follow this statement.

Ohio State- Blown out twice
    USC- Blown out by Notre Dame
    Michigan- Blown out by Penn State
    Penn State- 2 road losses to ranked teams by a combined 4 points. Not exactly a major wart compared to the other 3 you listed.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Bullsitter if you mean FSU is down because Alabama knocked their starting quarterback out for the year, sure. If you believe one bad loss to start the season somehow caused FSU to lose 4 more games then you have no idea what you are talking about. FSU was overrated in the preseason this year. It happens all the time, the preseason polls are skewed to big name programs.

The Alabama victory over highly ranked FSU is exhibit #1 why there should be no preseason rankings. They are almost completely meaningless. Let teams play some games so they can be evaluated on the field.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Bullsitter if you mean FSU is down because Alabama knocked their starting quarterback out for the year, sure. If you believe one bad loss to start the season somehow caused FSU to lose 4 more games then you have no idea what you are talking about. FSU was overrated in the preseason this year. It happens all the time, the preseason polls are skewed to big name programs.

The Alabama victory over highly ranked FSU is exhibit #1 why there should be no preseason rankings. They are almost completely meaningless. Let teams play some games so they can be evaluated on the field.

Robb

You know what I am saying, you said so in your first sentence. The rest of your comments, yadda, yadda, yadda.

No preseason polls? Yeah, right.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@ADG said:

>

Ouch, yep, I remember that.
    How long ago was that?
    What have y'all done since then?

• Options
    edited November 16, 2017 3:18AM

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@ADG said:

>

Ouch, yep, I remember that.
    How long ago was that?
    What have y'all done since then?

Made the playoffs last year, and currently in the top ten.

Good luck against auburn.

• Options

@orioles93 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@ADG said:

>

mark

Not sure I follow this statement.

Ohio State- Blown out twice
    USC- Blown out by Notre Dame
    Michigan- Blown out by Penn State
    Penn State- 2 road losses to ranked teams by a combined 4 points. Not exactly a major wart compared to the other 3 you listed.

I see where you are coming from. The Penn St melt down in the 4th quarter is what I was referring to. But yes the others had games where they were just B slapped as opposed to Penn St

m

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 8:24AM

Anybody hitting a game this week?

Heading up to UGA for the Kentucky game, we'll see how we bounce back from the Auburn whooping. Gotta win the next 3 to have that playoff shot.

• Options

Its sec cupcake Saturday.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2017 1:36PM

Just placed a large bet on Ohio State today. They are favored by 41 over Illinois. The Illini are perhaps the worst team in the Power 5

mark

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Its sec cupcake Saturday.

Sho' nuff is...and we'll be having a tea party in Awbern next week.

I hope my UAB Blazers beat Florida.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Just placed a large bet on Ohio State today. They are favored by 41 over Illinois. The Illini are perhaps the worst team in the Power 5

mark

Ouch!

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Ouch!

Can't you guys do anything right :#:'(:p

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I thought you were smart enough to know, teams have no control over in conference scheduling??

Sec cupcake week in November is embarrassing actually.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2017 5:50AM

Hey Garnett, you ought to know about "embarrassing".

Clemson - 31
    OSU - 0

Iowa - 55
    OSU - 24

Purdue looked pretty good against Iowa yesterday, kind of embarrassed them.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 3:46PM

Illinois-OSU was the advertised blowout which should not have surprised anyone. I suppose the 41 point spread may have overlooked the weather forcast. There is no question that the Buckeyes would have covered the spread had the rain had not been such a factor in the second half. Illinois has several key players injured and those players such as receiver Mike Dudek and their true Freshman running back that made quite an early impression have now missed most of the season. Illinois has started and played more freshman than any other division one school. It is sort of tough to win given that the rest of the Big Ten has mostly improved from last year and the best talent the Illini has is on the sidelines.

Illinois and OSU play for one of oldest trophy games in the Big Ten. I believe it might be second to the Little Brown Jug between Michigan and Minnesota. I don't believe Illinois has beat OSU since the 28-21 upset at Columbus when Juice Williams was the Illini QB. There have been some terrific games in this series that seem to be overlooked... Especially the 1968 game.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Cupcake time is over. The top teams are about to knock each other out. They are basically in the playoffs now. The only top team that can incur a loss and still get in is Alabama. The current top four plus Wisconsin, Auburn, and Georgia are in if they win out. After those teams only OSU has an outside shot at getting in.

Ralph

• Options
    edited November 19, 2017 10:54AM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I thought you were smart enough to know, teams have no control over in conference scheduling??

Sec cupcake week in November is embarrassing actually.

Are you concussed?

What are you talking about? I didn't say any about Ohio States schedule or the SEC . I just stated how bad Illinois was. Geez lighten up. You're so sensitive. Need a hug?

mark

• Options

Bama opens as a 4 point favorite at Auburn. Right now, I think we get beat in a close game. It's hard to win there, strange things happen on that field. It'll be the loudest that stadium has been since the last time we were there. But IF we can get a couple of guys healthy we could pull it out. Got to listen to Finebaum this week and read Bama247, I'll make my pick Saturday morning

Hey Dr. Buster, you pulling for Auburn or Alabama? Y'all get the winner.

I hate Auburn, there is NO team that has ever played that I hate more.

TOP 5 Hated Teams
    1. Auburn
    2. Tenn.
    3. N. Dame
    4. Florida
    5. Texas

Good games coming this week... :#

• Options

Winner of the Auburn Alabama game will be in the playoffs. The loser will be out.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2017 1:53PM

@garnettstyle said:
    Winner of the Auburn Alabama game will be in the playoffs. The loser will be out.

So Auburn beats Alabama and then Georgia beats Auburn. Are you saying that a 3 loss Auburn team gets in the playoff because they beat Bama?. Might want to stick with the OSU games.

• Options

If Alabama loses a nail biter to Auburn and Ohio State runs the table I would expect Alabama to be in and the Buckeyes out. BTW, I would have no complaints.

Ralph

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

That seems to make sense Brick.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

So Purdue beat Iowa at Iowa? That doesn't help the Big Ten. Ouch

m