Home Sports Talk

College Football 2017

1141516171820»

Comments

• Is Alabama the best college football team of all time? Has to be darn near close to it!? Heck of a game last night.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2018 1:40PM

Actually they didn't penalize any of the teams that lost in the playoffs. The top 4 remained the top 4. They moved up UCF over Penn State and Wisconsin. It's as simple as that. They couldn't move up.

The top 8 ended up exactly as I thought they would. Very few people care about the final polls anyways. Not worth getting worked up about

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Will we ever see two teams from the same conference with freshman QB's in a national championship game ever again ? Pretty amazing stuff. Yes, I know Hurts is a sophomore, but the 2nd half was played that way.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see UCF got 4 first place votes.

So, Bama plays UCF. if you pick the winner you get $1,000,000.
    I wonder if those 4 voters take UCF or the money... ;)

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if it were a modest amount, I think the answer would be the same.

The real annoying aspect of college football is the typical analysis that discounts big rivalry games... Most outside the conference that they follow seem to discount the rivalry games. As an example, Auburn-Alabama and even Auburn -Georgia are huge and both games have ramifications that just do not translate into the typical formula if team A beats B and C beats A, then automatically that means that C is better than B.

The Big Ten likely has the most trophy rivalry games than any other conference and they matter. They matter more than the ridiculous assessments made in the process of determining rankings. It is truly unfortunate that we have entered an era where the significance of a ranking seems to trump the concept of traditional rivalries. Considering how many great traditional rivalry games are no longer played because of conference re-alignments and greed, College football has forever changed by placing greater value on money.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Even if it were a modest amount, I think the answer would be the same.

The real annoying aspect of college football is the typical analysis that discounts big rivalry games... Most outside the conference that they follow seem to discount the rivalry games. As an example, Auburn-Alabama and even Auburn -Georgia are huge and both games have ramifications that just do not translate into the typical formula if team A beats B and C beats A, then automatically that means that C is better than B.

The Big Ten likely has the most trophy rivalry games than any other conference and they matter. They matter more than the ridiculous assessments made in the process of determining rankings. It is truly unfortunate that we have entered an era where the significance of a ranking seems to trump the concept of traditional rivalries. Considering how many great traditional rivalry games are no longer played because of conference re-alignments and greed, College football has forever changed by placing greater value on money.

I am not saying you are wrong as I do not live in Big 10 country. However, who do these trophy rivalry games matter to? Other than Ohio State v. Michigan I am not aware of a big rivalry game that anybody cares about in the Big 10. Do the kids in school today care about these games or just a bunch of old alumni? Real questions here.

Well... Sorry to read that you feel that way...

The Little Brown Jug between Michigan and Minnesota is probably the most famous in all of College Football
    Paul Bunyan's Axe is between Minnesota and Wisconsin
    Illinibuck is between Ohio State and Illinois. This wooden turtle trophy dates back to the 1920's
    Paul Bunyan trophy is between Michigan and Michigan State
    Purdue Canon is between Purdue and Illinois
    The Old Oaken Bucket is between Purdue and Indiana
    Floyd of Rosedale is between Minnesota and Iowa

There are more but in the interest of time and space, I will end it here. And these trophy games have had a direct impact on who would emerge as the Big Nine and later Big Ten (after Michigan State joined the conference in the early 1950s) Football Champion.

edited January 9, 2018 8:04PM

Larry the kids that play only know it from the coaches I'd guess. The alumni gets it somewhat. For example I swear I don't even know if there is trophy involved in the UM- OSU rivalry. I know a pair of teams play for an axe and Michigan plays Minnesota for The Little Brown Jug. Outside of that I defer to the kat.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I suppose I just listed some of the trophies without actually providing a complete answer to your questions. These trophies are a big deal to the schools, the students, the alumni and the players. Feel free to google the Paul Bunyan's Axe trophy... It is a very cool large trophy and it is awarded to the winning team at the end of the game. I watched the Ohio State - Illinois game on TV years ago... Can't remember if the game was played in Columbus or Champaign, but the cameramen for the game was able to catch the Illinibuck trophy circulating in the crowd of students... I suspect there was adequate supervision to prevent it from becoming MIA. Floyd of Rosedale was a basically a live pig. A bronze trophy replaced the pig and it is huge deal for Minnesota and Iowa. So in about a paragraph, this is what is fun and makes College football what it is. And I don 't mean to leave out other conferences as there are some others that are noteworthy.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I suppose I just listed some of the trophies without actually providing a complete answer to your questions. These trophies are a big deal to the schools, the students, the alumni and the players. Feel free to google the Paul Bunyan's Axe trophy... It is a very cool large trophy and it is awarded to the winning team at the end of the game. I watched the Ohio State - Illinois game on TV years ago... Can't remember if the game was played in Columbus or Champaign, but the cameramen for the game was able to catch the Illinibuck trophy circulating in the crowd of students... I suspect there was adequate supervision to prevent it from becoming MIA. Floyd of Rosedale was a basically a live pig. A bronze trophy replaced the pig and it is huge deal for Minnesota and Iowa. So in about a paragraph, this is what is fun and makes College football what it is. And I don 't mean to leave out other conferences as there are some others that are noteworthy.

I hear you. I watch games on TV and they often show the axe, the bell, the cup, etc... at the end of games but in MY experience the big rivalry games are still big to a few people but they pale in comparison to trying to get to the playoffs. Just reality. Also, at least out west the item they are fighting for is pointless. I don't even know what USC v. UCLA play for and that's the #1 rivalry I am pretty familiar with. I think they play for a bell but not 100% sure. Again, I don't live in the Big 10 country so my view may be skewed from what the feeling actually is for Purdue v. Indiana or some other meaningless game.

I am less concerned about following a team or conference for the playoffs or rankings. Its more about the effort and discipline that produces an exciting game. For example, I would rather watch Northwestern play than Alabama. There is a significantly higher probability that Alabama will win and likely destroy their opponent... And while Alabama has an endless stream of talent, good discipline and is well coached, Northwestern brings a different level of excitement in that outcome of their games is less certain. Northwestern is well coached, has decent talent and the intensity that they bring to the field creates that level of unpredictability which makes College Football the game it should be.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Penn state and Michigan state play for the Land Grant Trophy every year. It’s alwyas a big game around here and adds a little extra to the game and rivalry.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
    edited January 9, 2018 8:58PM

@orioles93 said:
    Penn state and Michigan state play for the Land Grant Trophy every year. It’s alwyas a big game around here and adds a little extra to the game and rivalry.

Thanks. I knew someone played for this just wasn't sure who. Did this just start happening since 1994 when PSU joined the Big Ten or did they play for this in the olden days?

Curious as I don't know but which is the bigger rivalry for Penn State. Michigan or Michigan State? I know Michigan respects and gears up for Penn State

m

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@orioles93 said:

Thanks. I knew someone played for this just wasn't sure who. Did this just start happening since 1994 when PSU joined the Big Ten or did they play for this in the olden days?

Curious as I don't know but which is the bigger rivalry for Penn State. Michigan or Michigan State? I know Michigan respects and gears up for Penn State

m

I think they started playing for the trophy when PSU joined the Big Ten, but they’ve been playing each other for much longer. I would say Michigan is the bigger rivalry of the two. Gameday in State College is completely different when Michigan or Ohio State is in town. They’ve become PSUs biggest rivals partly because some of the old rivalries either don’t play anymore very often (notre dame, West Virginia, Syracuse) or they are just starting to play again (Pitt).

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
    edited January 9, 2018 11:36PM

I'm guessing that garnettstyle hasn't had time to post this yet so I'm going to help a brother out.

The Georgia- Alabama tilt was a ratings bonanza on its own.. Actually the entire playoffs were up 21% over last year.Wasnt there a Big Ten and PAC12 team in last years playoffs? I guess people care more about the actual teams and match ups then geography.

A staggering 28.4 million people stayed up to watch Alabama score the winning touchdown in overtime at 12:10 a.m. EST.

Overall, this year's three-game College Football Playoff was up 21% from last year for ESPN.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-alabama-georgia-cfp-championship-tv-ratings-20180109-story.html

Oddly enough the top rated market outside of the south was Columbus Ohio.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/cfp-national-championship-ratings/

The 2018 Oklahoma Georgia semi final game was up 29% over last years Alabama/Washinton game in the same time slot.

The 2018 Alabama Clemson semi final game out drew Last years Clemson vs Ohio State semi final game by 10%

m

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    I see UCF got 4 first place votes.

So, Bama plays UCF. if you pick the winner you get $1,000,000.
    I wonder if those 4 voters take UCF or the money... ;)

It would be a great game.

Trying to stuff two hundred potentially viable teams into a four game playoff and please everyone with the outcome is impossible. Expanding the playoffs is no answer as you end up with a basketball type tournament where you have to win 6 straight games (or seven) or you go home.

Congratulations though to all these kids that played for nothing but food and new shoes. Maybe some can cash in in the NFL.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    One could say many teams would be undefeated if they played UCF's regular season schedule.

This is the reality of situation. To utilize a cross-sports analogy, it's like taking Jim Rice's career stats at face value without considering the Fenway factor. Strength of schedule in this case is analogous to such an example, imo.

Had Jim Rice batted 1.000, then you've got the right analogy. That's the one thing that matters with UCF - they never lost. No matter what they did, they were excluded from the title game before the season ever started. And if that's what the NCAA and its fans want, fine. But stop pretending that anyone outside the big 5 are eligible for the playoff, and stop counting wins against the minor conferences towards the six needed for bowl eligibility. I'm not saying that the CUSA champ should get an automatic bid to the playoff, or even that any "minor" conference team should, because I agree that their strength of schedule should matter. But, strength of schedule simply can't be that meaningful when evaluating an undefeated team, and a playoff that excludes an undefeated team isn't meaningful either. So we get a national champ with a loss to Auburn, while an undefeated team that beat Auburn gets a pat on the back, and we have no way of knowing which of the two teams was better. {And note that, in your analogy, how each team did against Auburn is very important in determining just what the correct "Fenway factor" is.}

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2018 12:38AM

@Justacommeman said:

A staggering 28.4 million people stayed up to watch Alabama score the winning touchdown in overtime at 12:10 a.m. EST.

2015 game between Ohio State and Oregon - 33.9 million

Keep trying SEC lol. Only 5 and a half million less.

But nice try, Michigan man :wink:

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Top 15 wins according to the final poll....Alabama - 2 Ohio State - 4 Ohio State was the only team to have 4 top 15 wins.

The Big Ten teams start out every year in pre season behind the eight ball. Two of the major conferences are from the south(ACC, SEC) and half of the Big 12 teams are from the south. So looking at the whole picture, that's the reason why Alabama backed their way into it over OSU without a single signature win.

edited January 10, 2018 1:28AM

@garnettstyle said:
    Top 15 wins according to the final poll....Alabama - 2 Ohio State - 4 Ohio State was the only team to have 4 top 15 wins.

The Big Ten teams start out every year in pre season behind the eight ball. Two of the major conferences are from the south(ACC, SEC) and half of the Big 12 teams are from the south. So looking at the whole picture, that's the reason why Alabama backed their way into it over OSU without a single signature win.

We might not have had a signature win, but OSU had a signature loss to an unranked team....... :*

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

We might not have had a signature win, but OSU had a signature loss to an unranked team....... :*

Not really, because Iowa won their bowl game and should be ranked in a realistic poll. Ohio State's quality wins should've trumped their iowa loss.

edited January 10, 2018 1:38AM

Skip Bayless: "Ohio State Belonged in These Playoffs"

Even after the national championship game, Skip Bayless claims that Alabama was undeserving of their playoff spot.

I'm going to say it one more time. Alabama did not belong in these playoffs.

Ohio State belonged in these playoffs. And Nick Saban, to his credit, was able to use that backlash against Alabama as us against the world motivation in the Clemson game, which they won, which was far more impressive to me than the win last night against a Georgia team they should have beaten soundly last night. Because it's a meat and potatoes running team...

I rarely agree with Skip, but here he is dead on. Regardless of all naysayers. Imo

edited January 10, 2018 1:45AM

Here ya go Garnett, for you and Skippy

OSU 78
    Bama 0

edited January 10, 2018 2:03AM

Hey bullsitter, you do know that Saban is a former BUCKEYES assistant coach for Earle Bruce right?

His alma mater is also a ....OHIO school :wink:

I guess you don't have enough decent hillbilly coaches down there, to coach your team, so you had to steal one of our guys lol

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the kids in school today care about these games or just a bunch of old alumni? Real questions here.

when the Teams win these sort of games and the Trophy, it always gets displayed in a prominent place. Ohio State, as I presume all other schools, has a fabulous athletic facility and that's where stuff like this is displayed.

the players and, yes, the student body, are all to aware of this stuff and it's reflected in the stands and out on the field. the biggest one for the Buckeyes is vs. Michigan and everyone knows that. part of the coaching staff's responsibility during the week prior to the game is to keep the players grounded, find the balance between discipline on the field and excitement over the rivalry. it is a challenge some coaches are good at, others not so good.

there have been several times when Ohio State was clearly the better Team, the "rivalry" overwhelmed them and Michigan won. while Head Coach, John Cooper had some very good Teams, yet he could never figure out how to keep the player's heads cool. Jim Tressel and now Urban Meyer have solved that and are 15-1 vs Michigan since 2001, a stat which defies logic in this rivalry. Michigan has had some good players and good Teams during that time, but their Head Coaches seem to have a problem with "the game" and getting that balance.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama certainly belonged. The fact that they won it all is proof enough for me. Ohio State belonged. After watching the games I think the Buckeyes could have won it all. I didn't think so before the games. We can't have a 64 team tournament as in basketball but after March Madness there is no team that was omitted that could have won it all. How many football teams need to be in before there is no logical way to believe someone left out could have run the table? It would not be difficult to go to 8 teams. A very good point that has been stated is some teams are out no matter what they do. I believe there has not been a two loss team allowed in. How soon will the powers realize they should not schedule each other? Play Mercer, UNLV, etc. because it is difficult to go undefeated in the BIG, ACC, and SEC and one loss there disqualifies you if you have lost to the power team on your schedule. Although more difficult there could be a sixteen team tournament. As far as UCF vs. Alabama, naturally Alabama would be a heavy favorite but we will never know because UCF was disqualified before the season began. BTW even though garnett sees the world through scarlet colored glasses he does make some very valid points.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

edited January 10, 2018 8:58AM

@Justacommeman said:

2015 game between Ohio State and Oregon - 33.9 million

Keep trying SEC lol. Only 5 and a half million less.

But nice try, Michigan man :wink:

Yes the inaugural game will always be the top ranked game. It also featured Oregon as well as Ohio State. You said no one would watch this game like last time two SEC teams played for try title. You said it several times. You couldn't have been more wrong.

By your shifting standards then no one watched Clemson vs Ohio State last year. So for that you should be thankful.

Here's a little nugget for you.

A quick look at the 2017 ratings data. . Five of the top 10 most-viewed games of the 2017 season involved Michigan and/or Ohio State. Among them: Ohio State Vs. Wisconsin (3), Ohio State vs. Michigan (5), Penn State vs. Ohio State (6), Oklahoma vs. Ohio State (8) and Michigan vs. Florida (9).

Furthermore, Michigan played in the most-viewed game in Weeks 6,7 and 8 vs. Michigan State, Indiana and Penn State, respectively. A look at previous year's data provides similar evidence.

Also noteworthy is that Columbus, the home of Ohio State University, was the CFP final's top viewership market outside of the South, ranking ninth with a 23.2 rating.

@keets said:
    Do the kids in school today care about these games or just a bunch of old alumni? Real questions here.

when the Teams win these sort of games and the Trophy, it always gets displayed in a prominent place. Ohio State, as I presume all other schools, has a fabulous athletic facility and that's where stuff like this is displayed.

the players and, yes, the student body, are all to aware of this stuff and it's reflected in the stands and out on the field. the biggest one for the Buckeyes is vs. Michigan and everyone knows that. part of the coaching staff's responsibility during the week prior to the game is to keep the players grounded, find the balance between discipline on the field and excitement over the rivalry. it is a challenge some coaches are good at, others not so good.

there have been several times when Ohio State was clearly the better Team, the "rivalry" overwhelmed them and Michigan won. while Head Coach, John Cooper had some very good Teams, yet he could never figure out how to keep the player's heads cool. Jim Tressel and now Urban Meyer have solved that and are 15-1 vs Michigan since 2001, a stat which defies logic in this rivalry. Michigan has had some good players and good Teams during that time, but their Head Coaches seem to have a problem with "the game" and getting that balance.

Outside of a handful of top teams, the major college programs would be better off dissolving and returning to education.

Arizona just handed $6,000,000 to Richrod as a farewell gift. With 40,000 students at the school that is $150 each. Stadium is less than half full so that is a pretty good indicator of interest in the 7-6 team (which actually was pretty hot for half a season).

Sure I will get the apples and oranges BS argument. But not sure that the average student working his way through school and could use that $150 is as old and wise and you folks.

no mention of apples and oranges from me, just puzzled as to how you got from my linked post to your reply. I don't see the connection. my post was a reply to a question concerning the various "Trophy Games" played between rival schools. how is your reply connected to that??

@keets said:
    no mention of apples and oranges from me, just puzzled as to how you got from my linked post to your reply. I don't see the connection. my post was a reply to a question concerning the various "Trophy Games" played between rival schools. how is your reply connected to that??

He just needed a soap box

m

@garnettstyle said:

Even after the national championship game, Skip Bayless claims that Alabama was undeserving of their playoff spot.

Ohio State belonged in these playoffs. And Nick Saban, to his credit, was able to use that backlash against Alabama as us against the world motivation in the Clemson game, which they won, which was far more impressive to me than the win last night against a Georgia team they should have beaten soundly last night. Because it's a meat and potatoes running team...

I rarely agree with Skip, but here he is dead on. Regardless of all naysayers. Imo

When you reach for Skip Bayless you know you have reached rock bottom. The last act of a desperate man.

mark

@garnettstyle said:

When you reach for Skip Bayless you know you have reached rock bottom. The last act of a desperate man.

mark

Mark, that did in fact need to be repeated. B)

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2018 6:26PM

@dallasactuary said:

@grote15 said:
    One could say many teams would be undefeated if they played UCF's regular season schedule.

This is the reality of situation. To utilize a cross-sports analogy, it's like taking Jim Rice's career stats at face value without considering the Fenway factor. Strength of schedule in this case is analogous to such an example, imo.

Had Jim Rice batted 1.000, then you've got the right analogy. That's the one thing that matters with UCF - they never lost. No matter what they did, they were excluded from the title game before the season ever started. And if that's what the NCAA and its fans want, fine. But stop pretending that anyone outside the big 5 are eligible for the playoff, and stop counting wins against the minor conferences towards the six needed for bowl eligibility. I'm not saying that the CUSA champ should get an automatic bid to the playoff, or even that any "minor" conference team should, because I agree that their strength of schedule should matter. But, strength of schedule simply can't be that meaningful when evaluating an undefeated team, and a playoff that excludes an undefeated team isn't meaningful either. So we get a national champ with a loss to Auburn, while an undefeated team that beat Auburn gets a pat on the back, and we have no way of knowing which of the two teams was better. {And note that, in your analogy, how each team did against Auburn is very important in determining just what the correct "Fenway factor" is.}

No way UCF finishes unbeaten if they play Alabama's schedule or Georgia's schedule. Or OSU's schedule, for that matter.

You'd have a valid argument for UCF if their strength of schedule were on that level. But it's not, their 1 point victory over Auburn notwithstanding.. UCF is in the same boat as Tulane, Boise State, TCU, Utah, Marshall and other teams that finished undefeated from other conferences with no chance at a national championship in years past. I'm not saying the process is necessarily fair, but it is understandable. And I believe those undefeated records need to be viewed in that context. And frankly speaking, I doubt any of these teams, including UCF, believed at any point before, during or after the season that they were going to be considered for a national championship. Some of them in years past didn't even finish in the top 6-7.

I'd say that perhaps there needs to be further classification of major college football programs, but my understanding is that the teams from these minor conferences are content just the way things are due to revenue reasons. Perhaps an 8-team or 12-team playoff would settle these debates once and for all. But how many games do we expect these kids to play as students athletes (if such a term even exists). Do we shorten the regular season to accommodate one or two more playoff games?

They used to calculate strength of schedule under the old formula. Not sure if they still do but if so it would be interesting to see the difference between UCF and the top 4 teams.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    No way UCF finishes unbeaten if they play Alabama's schedule or Georgia's schedule.

Trust me, I'm not delusional and my estimation of UCF's chances of going undefeated in the SEC is no doubt similar to yours. BUT, you say "no" way, and my point is simply that we can't know that. We, and most everyone else, may believe that they couldn't, but that was supposed to be the point of having a playoff - to remove what we believe from the equation and settle it with a football game. Whether they squeeze UCF (or similar teams in the future) into the top 4 or expand it to 8 and get them in there I don't care, but anytime a season ends with a national champ with a loss when there is an undefeated team, the playoff they have now is pointless. We're left with what we believe determining the best team, same as it would have been without a playoff.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
    edited January 14, 2018 11:23AM

My almost final thoughts from 2017.
    B1G was the best conference and OSU was the best team from the B1G, no doubt about it.
    PAC10 was down this year for some reason, I still haven't figured them out. Watch out for UCLA and Kelly.
    BIG12, Oklahoma, Baker skips the NFL and goes to Hollywood. His crying scenes could get him an Oscar.
    ACC, Clemson....yadda, yadda, yadda
    SEC, Bama and Georgia, the Cream of the Crop in College Football

And on an almost final note, Nick and I would like to thank the Selection Committee, you are the greatest.

Roll Tide, from the SOS Club, member # 11,869,017, that's Son's of Saban.

Oooops, almost forgot the College Football Photo of the Year, wish I had a drum roll.... >:)

Why do all these guys in the picture have lap tops on the table?

@coinkat said:
    Why do all these guys in the picture have lap tops on the table?

They were reading this thread looking for guidance

m

Not all of the guys...are guys.

Guys was used as a figure of speech... My Bad

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was very nice seeing Penn State make a good run at a shot at playing for the national title.

I like James Franklin but sometimes when Penn State had a lead and should have wrapped up a game, he veered from what was working and started to play "not to lose" and too many times that's when ya get beat. However he will learn from those mistakes and the future of Penn State football looks very bright.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dawgs are crushing the signing day. WOOF!

@DrBuster said:
    My Dawgs are crushing the signing day. WOOF!

Their class is obscene. Breaks Alabama’s stranglehold of top recruiting classes. The Tide had the number one class six of the last seven years

mark

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

couple of observations...

1) Horns @ #3. This should happen every single year with the surfeit of in-state talent that Texas has. Just looked up their record by year and over the past 8 seasons they are 53-48. That is the epitome of embarrassment.

2) Wolverines @ #21? Looking up at Tennessee? On second thought, maybe that's the epitome of embarrassment.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was surprised to see those guys up North ranked that low in recruiting. I thought when Harbaugh came in their quality of personnel and execution would improve.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

edited February 8, 2018 7:46AM

Garnett, the Top 20 teams have 8 SEC teams and 2 B1G teams.

Iowa came in at # 40. I thought they would have done better than that after crushing OSU.... >:)

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered these a bit ago and they showed up today....GO DAWGS!!

@Bullsitter said:
    Garnett, the Top 20 teams have 8 SEC teams and 2 B1G teams.

Iowa came in at # 40. I thought they would have done better than that after crushing OSU.... >:)

The big 10 had a winning record last year against the sec :)