Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2017

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Hiya Dallas. Happy New Year!

One could say that the reason UCF was undefeated was their regular season schedule. One could say many teams would be undefeated if they played UCF's regular season schedule. One could say if they were in a four team playoff they wouldn't win both games. One could hypothesize many things. It's what we are forced with to deal with.

And a Happy New Year to you, too!

And yes, one could say all of those things and as a result we have a system that is decided by what a small group of random people say. But more importantly, one could say the same things about any team. And after UCF beat Auburn, I don't know why it makes any more sense to say those things about UCF than about Alabama or Georgia.

And I get that no matter how many teams they let in, there always be at least one team that will complain. So be it. But that team should never be an undefeated team. This year, I'd have given UCF the first slot and then let the random people fill the other three. As it is, UCF was eliminated from national title consideration before the season even started. If that's the way it is, then announce it officially, stop ranking those teams, and stop counting wins against teams in minor conferences towards the six wins needed to qualify for a bowl game.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018 8:56PM

Yeah non Power 5 conferences have it stacked against them. They get one spot in the 4 other bowls associated with the playoffs. Usually the non power 5 team gets "picked" last because they don't necessarily travel well or draw ratings. The last team anyone wants to play is the non power 5 team. If you best them it's expected. If you get beat you have to do the walk of shame. The non power 5 team is very incentived and they usually bring it. I always root for them. UCF happened to be very very good

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 3:37AM

Auburn fans don't think either georgia or Bama deserved to be in the playoffs. Georgia got the undeserved rematch after getting blown out by 3 touchdowns, and auburn won the iron bowl convincingly. Of course Bama had time to get healthy. They didn't have to play that extra game, AND they played a soft schedule. You can't blame the auburn fans because they are right.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    edited January 3, 2018 4:00AM

Just saw on espn last night that Notre dame coach brian Kelly, basically stated that he would like to have more softer schedules for his team in the future. Because he said thats what the committee feels is more important than playing a strong schedule and having more than one loss.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the six million dollar man is out.

"""Arizona fired head football coach Rich Rodriguez on Tuesday after the Wildcats finished a 7-6 season.

According to Dan Wolken of USA Today, the school made the official announcement regarding Rodriguez's firing Tuesday evening. Brett McMurphy reported "Arizona has fired Rich Rodriguez in part after sexual harassment allegations against him that the school says could not be substantiated."

Wolken previously reported Tuesday the school was "weighing whether to fire" him and noted "the school also has been dealing with a troubling allegation behind the scenes that led school officials last fall to hire an outside law firm to investigate Rodriguez for potential workplace misconduct.""""

• Options
    edited January 3, 2018 4:15AM

The man that got an extra week,didn't have to play the 13th game,now bitching about the fast turn around for the NCG.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21944074/alabama-head-coach-nick-saban-critical-college-football-playoff-scheduling

The irony in all this. Had Bama had to play UGA in SECCG,they didn't stand a chance of beating them . Now, they'll beat UGA by 2TD's. Maybe Nicki should just Shut up, and SMILE FOR THE CAMERA. Second time in six years that he's gotten a second bite at the apple,after not doing what he should during the season. Lol. He should be happy.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. He has no need to complain. There are a hundred teams with about nine months to prepare for the next game. Many of those teams would be happy to trade places with him. Poor Georgia Had to travel all the way across the country to get home. BTW with my unusual powers I will insure an Alabama win. I pick Georgia to win. I haven't been right yet.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

You OSU boys better pay attention to the greatest coach of all time. Saban is the one who ran off Urban Meyer from Florida with a fake heart attack. He knew Saban was his Daddy and he ran as fast as he could.

I bet you OSU boys are glad Iowa is off your schedule next year but it won't matter because another middle of the pack team will beat y'all and keep you out of the playoff again. Your last 3 losses were by 76 points. I had to add that up again, seemed like an awful big number. Dang, that's 25+ points a loss....OUCH.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Auburn fans don't think either georgia or Bama deserved to be in the playoffs. Georgia got the undeserved rematch after getting blown out by 3 touchdowns, and auburn won the iron bowl convincingly. Of course Bama had time to get healthy. They didn't have to play that extra game, AND they played a soft schedule. You can't blame the auburn fans because they are right.

Did OSU play "the extra game" last year when they got in and then got blasted 31-0?
    Start calling you "Double Standard Garnett"

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    You OSU boys better pay attention to the greatest coach of all time. Saban is the one who ran off Urban Meyer from Florida with a fake heart attack. He knew Saban was his Daddy and he ran as fast as he could.

Overall — Saban: 182-59-1, Meyer: 141-26
    Winning percentage — Saban: .754, Meyer: .844
    Bowls — Saban: 8-8, Meyer: 8-2
    Bowl winning percentage — Saban: .500; Meyer: .800

• Options
    edited January 3, 2018 1:59PM

Last game at Florida, looks like he's having chest pain.

Garnett, are you going to answer this?
    Did OSU play "the extra game" last year when they got in?

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

Overall — Saban: 182-59-1, Meyer: 141-26
    Winning percentage — Saban: .754, Meyer: .844
    Bowls — Saban: 8-8, Meyer: 8-2
    Bowl winning percentage — Saban: .500; Meyer: .800

And guess what, most of Saban's losses were when he was coaching at Toledo and Michigan State, two teams you should know about. He has won 4 National Championships in 9 years at Alabama and is playing for # 5 Monday

I will tell you this, I'd rather be playing OSU than those mean Georgia Bulldogs.... ;)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still am impressed with the way Georgia played in the second half against Oklahoma. Should be a terrific game.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey Bullsitter, what happened the last time OSU and Urban Meyer played Nick Saban and Alabama?? :)

• Options

And what happened the last time Bear Bryant and Alabama played Woody Hayes and Ohio State?

Let's keep it all in perspective. Both are outstanding programs with a tradition of excellence

• Options

coinkat, that has nothing to do with anything BS is talking about, he's essentially saying that Saban chased Meyer out of Florida, that he "owned" him. I simply stated that the last time the two coaches met such wasn't the case.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2018 7:56PM

@keets said:
    coinkat, that has nothing to do with anything BS is talking about, he's essentially saying that Saban chased Meyer out of Florida, that he "owned" him. I simply stated that the last time the two coaches met such wasn't the case.

All of this is true on both fronts

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Actually... It has everything to do with it... In that picture, Meyer looks as if he just he just saw the ghost of Bear Bryant... I'm kidding or as Foghorn Leghorn used to "That's a joke son... that's a joke"

Seems we're taking things a little too serious. More time could be written about what makes the game what it is instead of what it is not.

• Options

In all honesty, coming from someone who feels he has a handle on things relating to college football,(although I can't seem to pick a winner this bowl season) Alabama is the # 1 program by far the last decade. Ohio State is capable of being the top program the next decade if they are properly motivated to show up EVERY week. You can argue which coach is better but I don't think either school would make a straight trade for the other.

Ralph

• Options

@keets said:

That is correct, OSU had a great team that year, beat us fair and square.
    What have you done since that big win?

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@keets said:

That is correct, OSU had a great team that year, beat us fair and square.
    What have you done since that big win?

Got screwed by the espn run committee twice in 2015 and 2017. Not to mention got screwed out of a national championship in 2012 over tattoos.

• Options

The last time 2 sec teams played in the championship game, no one watched.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/espns-alabama-lsu-draws-lowest-ever-bcs-title-rating/1

• Options

• Options

Congratulations !!!

• Options
    edited January 4, 2018 1:17AM

UCF to have national championship parade and banner. Sorry georgia and alabama.
    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/2/16842174/ucf-national-championship-parade-banner

• Options

That's kind of like Iowa celebrating their B1G Championship, won it by 31 points.

• Options

:)

• Options
    edited January 4, 2018 11:28AM

@garnettstyle said:
    UCF to have national championship parade and banner. Sorry georgia and alabama.
    https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/2/16842174/ucf-national-championship-parade-banner

That's kind of cute and I'm the King of Westros.

mark

• Options
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2018 12:11AM

This is getting a little ridiculous. Yes, they went undefeated. Yes, they beat Auburn in their bowl game. But outside of that, Memphis twice and Navy were their only "quality" wins. Just be happy with a very good undefeated season. If you play in the AAC conference, you must schedule much better out of conference games if you want to be nationally recognized, period.
    On another note, am i the only one that thinks 2 big ten teams would have given Alabama a better game than Clemson did after watching that? (OSU & PSU)

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

@orioles93 said:

This is getting a little ridiculous. Yes, they went undefeated. Yes, they beat Auburn in their bowl game. But outside of that, Memphis twice and Navy were their only "quality" wins. Just be happy with a very good undefeated season. If you play in the AAC conference, you must schedule much better out of conference games if you want to be nationally recognized, period.
    On another note, am i the only one that thinks 2 big ten teams would have given Alabama a better game than Clemson did after watching that? (OSU & PSU)

I would say UCF had just as many quality wins as alabama. The only difference is, UCF didn't play mercer lol.

Can you imagine a undefeated NCAA basketball team not qualifying for the tournament?

• Options
    edited January 5, 2018 8:13AM

I believe Penn State would have been a better opponent on Offense and Ohio State would have been a better opponent on Defense. overall, each Team may have played better than Clemson but I don't think either would have beaten Alabama. the time off before Bowl Games helps all the Teams, but I believe this year it really helped Alabama because their defense was beat up pretty bad.

also, I think both Penn State and Ohio State could have beaten Clemson. they didn't play very well, but maybe that was Alabama's fault. what surprised me about Clemson is a single person, Deshaun Watson. to me, his absence this season said more than his presence in 2015 and 2016. I await what he does down in Houston.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

Agreed it's ridiculous regarding UCF. They had a nice season and that's that. They beat a good Auburn team in an exhibition game that Auburn might not have cared about.

As for OSU or PSU giving Alabama a better game than Clemson did... well, it's sure easy in hindsight to suggest that. However, going into the game it seemed Clemson was on a nice run. They spanked a good Miami team 38-3. The week before that they beat a ranked South Carolina team. So, what you say might be right but it's a complete guess in my opinion. Yes, OSU, PSU, and others might have done better and might have beaten Alabama. So might have UCF or whoever else. The committee picked 4, Clemson had a bad game, Alabama played really good defense, and now we are left as arm chair quarterbacks breaking it down.

• Options

The state of Florida and UCF can do whatever they want. Doesn't change a thing. I was a little sympathetic to their cause but no more as now they have jumped the shark and it's making them look silly. They should have taken the high road.

Have a parade, give the coaches bonuses, hang a banner. Doesn't much matter.

m

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2018 11:02AM

I need to stop refreshing stubhub and torturing myself and just pull the trigger for Monday. Sigh, will decide tonight I think.

• Options

I hope # 3 for Georgia gets the flu.

• Options

That would make the game closer than it would be otherwise. :p

Ralph

• Options

WTH, I'll be there unless this ticket order bombs....GO DAWGS!!!!!!

• Options

They say the crowd will be 85% Georgia fans.... :'( ... man, that's not fair.....ROLLLLLLLLL TIDE !!!!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    They say the crowd will be 85% Georgia fans.... :'( ... man, that's not fair.....ROLLLLLLLLL TIDE !!!!

Garnettstyle agrees. The game should be played in Witchita

m

• Options

After some ridiculous email / tech issues from the 'hub, finally got my tickets for Monday, giggidy! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    After some ridiculous email / tech issues from the 'hub, finally got my tickets for Monday, giggidy! GO DAWGS!

Excellent. Will you be able to snatch a photo from the game and post here ?

• Options

@Exodus said:

@DrBuster said:

Excellent. Will you be able to snatch a photo from the game and post here ?

There will be pics, not sure on how many game-time ones live but I'll try to get some up. Tues for sure.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Depending on the Championship game, I could support UCF as #2.

• Options

Anyone watching the sec championship II tomorrow?

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Anyone watching the sec championship II tomorrow?

Yes, I'll be watching.... >:)
    I heard Urban Meyer is the halftime guest, I guess they want an outsiders opinion about the super powerful SEC.

• Options

Can't wait

m

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Two teams playing for THE championship. I plan to watch it!

• Options

If alabama wins, then UCF is the true national champion. Alabama had ZERO good wins to qualify for a playoff spot. Therefore, they did not deserve to be in the big dance.

The playoff system is rigged. Because the only reason why alabama got in is for brand name only.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2018 6:43AM

View from the office/floor at KO-HQ. Sooo ready. GO DAWGS!!!