Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2017

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

If memory serves, the UGA/ND game had about 60% of that South Bend stadium slathered in red. Will be interesting to see how the Rose Bowl crowd colors up.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    If memory serves, the UGA/ND game had about 60% of that South Bend stadium slathered in red. Will be interesting to see how the Rose Bowl crowd colors up.

The Rose Bowl is the greatest. I aim to be there.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2017 4:58PM

@Justacommeman said:

@DrBuster said:

The Rose Bowl is the greatest. I aim to be there.

mark

Nice!

Actually went in to the office the other day and was discussing going out there for it with one of my co-alum co-workers. Would probably be cheaper to stay in Atlanta and shoot for the ridiculous$ championship tix at the Benz for that UGA game instead. Going to shoot for that after xmas.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of excuses in this thread, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it. POTD

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited December 11, 2017 12:35AM

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

I hate it. You must admit if it weren't for the wind kicking up against the Buckeyes and a couple questionable calls Iowa would have only won by 24.

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 11, 2017 5:17PM

I would love to do a canoe trip with Bullsitter, Brick and Grote. We are simpatico. As long as this canoe trip isn't in Georgia I'll be fine with it. Ive seen Deliverance one to many times. Maybe we go through eastern Ohio and western PA and meet up with Garnettstyle for a beer. Brick you can taste Bullsitters and mine first. Ive also seen too many Game of Thrones episodes.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

you guys sure are setting the table for the perfect storm.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2017 4:40PM

Nile Kinnick is looking down feeling very proud...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2017 1:22AM

@perkdog said:
    I love that Alabama lost

I love that New England lost, and to Miami....bahahahahaha
    And even better, Kenyan Drake from Alabama put up 100+ yards on the ground.

• Options
  • Options

He's an elite qb.

Garnett, Michigan just bumped it up a notch. He will beat OSU before he leaves.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

don't underestimate Jim Harbaugh's ability to lose.

• Options
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2017 3:30PM

2018 recruiting class rankings

Ohio State

Georgia

Texas

Penn State

Alabama

Miami

Clemson

Notre Dame

Oklahoma

Auburn

• Options

More on the recruiting

247Sports takes a look at the day’s biggest winners

Dan Mullen only needed three weeks on the job to close one of America’s most touted quarterbacks: Emory Jones. There was no question the long-time Ohio State commit was going to flip; the question was always where – until Mullen arrived in Gainesville.

Clemson missed on Cade Mays but they also hit on three top targets, including the biggest shocker of the day: taking Jackson Carman, the 247Sports Composite’s top-ranked offensive tackle, out of the Buckeye State. All three finalists (Ohio State and Southern Cal were the other two) were in the dark until Wednesday morning, shortly before the Fairfield (Ohio) High product announced his plans.

The nation’s No. 1 offensive guard Jamaree Salyer, No. 2 offensive tackle Cade Mays and No. 2 strong-side defensive end Brenton Cox all announced for UGA as the Bulldogs closed on Ohio State for the No. 1 class in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

Kirby Smart and his staff now have six five-stars in the fold as quarterback Justin Fields, running back Zamir White and outside linebacker Adam Anderson also penned their letters of intent on Wednesday.

You know who else signed? The country’s No. 3 running back, James Cook, a Florida State legacy who visited Tallahassee over the weekend.

Four-star defensive back Divaad Wilson also sent in his NLI to UGA as its class grew to 20.

Confidence was high around UF leading into Jones’s official visit this past weekend and it never wavered leading up to Wednesday’s announcement where the Franklin (Ga.) Heard County standout announced for the Gators over Florida State.

Throughout the fall, Alabama and Auburn were two other programs that tried to flip Jones who the 247Sports Composite ranks as the nation’s No. 4 dual-threat quarterback and No. 40 player overall.

The Gators also added four-star safety Trey Dean and now sit on the nation’s No. 14 recruiting class

Later in the day, the Tigers were finally able to wrap up the recruitment of five-star defensive end KJ Henry. The Clemmons (NC) West Forsyth standout was considered a long-time lean but took all five of his official visits.

With Carman and Henry in the fold, Dabo Swinney and his staff now have four recruits ranked inside the top 10 of the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings with quarterback Trevor Lawrence ranking No. 1, defensive end Xavier Thomas checking in at No. 3 and Henry and Carman coming in at No. 8 and No. 9.

The Tigers also scored the country’s No. 7 all-purpose back Lyn-J Dixon and finish the day with 15 signees and the country’s No. 7 recruiting class

Penn State secured the No. 1 player in the state in five-star defensive end Micah Parsons, who will enroll early and be an immediate difference-maker in Brent Pry’s defense. Parsons ranks as the country’s No. 4 prospect overall and is the jewel of a class 247Sports ranks No. 4 nationally. Top247 receiver Jahan Dotson also flipped from UCLA to the Nittany Lions.

Alabama was the first to chalk up a four-star recruit on Wednesday when Top247 defensive tackle Christian Barmore announced and signed. Five-star outside linebacker Eyabi Anoma, a long-time 'Bama lean, made it official in the afternoon when he committed to the Crimson Tide. Nick Saban and his staff’s class ranks No. 5 nationally.

• Options

Jackson Carman going to Clemson was not a surprise.
    Ohio State picked up the nations #1 DT and #1 TE.

• Options

Wow on Georgia

Georgia: It was an embarrassment of recruiting riches for the Bulldogs, who cleaned up on the first day of the first-ever early signing period. Georgia signed six of the top 18 prospects in the class of 2018 and all six are five-star recruits. Clemson has the second-most five-star recruits at four. Funny how both of those teams are in the College Football Playoff?

Here’s the breakdown of the five-star recruits the Bulldogs signed:

No. 2: Justin Fields, QB
    No. 7: Zamir White, RB
    No. 9: Jamaree Salyer, G
    No. 13: Adam Anderson, DE
    No. 15: Cade Mays, T
    No. 18: James Cook, RB

Ohio State: The Buckeyes spent most of the day having the No. 1 class in the country according to Rivals and were only knocked off the top spot when four-star defensive end Brenton Cox signed with Georgia later in the day.

No. 2 ain’t a bad place to be. Ohio State has 22 commitments and 21 signed on Wednesday. That group includes five-star defensive back Tyreke Johnson, and five-star linebacker Teradja Mitchell. The only unsigned Buckeye commit is five-star defensive back Jaiden Woodbey. If Ohio State keeps him in February, this class isn’t dropping from second.

• Options

A good day also for Penn state currently at #4 best class.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

I saw that. Maryland and Texas as well

m

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

m

Maryland has had a few nice classes now. Give this coach a few years and I think he will have them competitive in the Big Ten.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

@orioles93 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

m

Maryland has had a few nice classes now. Give this coach a few years and I think he will have them competitive in the Big Ten.

Their biggest problem is that they are in the east. They have MSU, Mich, OSU, PSU and Indiana every year. They have to figure a way to succeed From the east and up in the west ; )

I do like Durkin. The players liked him when he was the DC at Michigan

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@orioles93 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

m

Their biggest problem is that they are in the east. They have MSU, Mich, OSU, PSU and Indiana every year. They have to figure a way to succeed From the east and up in the west ; )

m

Oh I understand what you're saying. That division will continue to be the same 4 teams at the top every year no matter what. As a PSU fan, Durkin does scare me a little though, cause he seems to be a good likable coach, and he is getting Maryland recruits to stay home more than before. For years, Maryland has been a recruiting hotbed for PSU. The Big Ten needs the bottom teams to become more competitive in coming years though.

What I Collect:

• Options

@orioles93 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@orioles93 said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

m

m

Oh I understand what you're saying. That division will continue to be the same 4 teams at the top every year no matter what. As a PSU fan, Durkin does scare me a little though, cause he seems to be a good likable coach, and he is getting Maryland recruits to stay home more than before. For years, Maryland has been a recruiting hotbed for PSU. The Big Ten needs the bottom teams to become more competitive in coming years though.

Oh I'm with you. The last thing the east needs is another good team

m

• Options

How 'bout them DAWGS! Woof! Gonna be interesting to see what pans out of this batch of studs in between the hedges!

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

The west coast needs to step their recruiting game up. Really pathetic!

• Options

Iowa came in at #34..... >:)

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Wisconsin is at 37. Iowa and Wisconsin seem to do more with less than a lot of other teams. They never have high recruiting classes but always put out decent teams.

What I Collect:

• Options

@orioles93 said:

@Bullsitter said:

Wisconsin is at 37. Iowa and Wisconsin seem to do more with less than a lot of other teams. They never have high recruiting classes but always put out decent teams.

Since 2012 Clemson has averaged #14 in recruiting and they have been in 3 of the 4 playoffs. Seniors make a big difference and most 5 stars are 3 and out.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

I am surprised it's not 31!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

What about Mercer?

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

What about Mercer?

Did they beat Alabama?

m

• Options
    edited December 23, 2017 10:06AM

Merry Christmas Garnett.

Ohio beat Alabama yesterday 41-6 in Bahamas Bowl. I guess we were playing toooo far south.... >:)

• Options

>

Did they beat Alabama?

m

No, I got them and Appalachian State mixed up.

• Options

Anyone hear hear how the Big 10 did top to bottom? If Iowa was 31, I wonder where Nebraska Northwestern, Illinois and Minnesota ended up

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Anyone hear hear how the Big 10 did top to bottom? If Iowa was 31, I wonder where Nebraska Northwestern, Illinois and Minnesota ended up

Actually Iowa ended up 37. Minnesota 31. Illinois 46. Purdue 43. Indiana 36. Northwestern 60. Nebraska 52. Rutgers 47.

mark

• Options

Thanks for the update.

Aliitle surprised Nebraska and Northwestern finished where they did... Seems disappointing. I suppose Minnesota and Indiana should be pleased. And not sure about Illinois... But that should not be surprising.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2017 10:52AM

Merry Christmas to all you college football fans, even the OSU fans.

And may the SEC have a Happy New Year..... >:)

• Options

Back at ya. May all here have a healthy and prosperous 2018.

Ralph

• Options

I will not be watching the SEC playoffs this year. However I will be watching the other bowls.

• Options

Great bowl game between army and San Diego state. Congrats to army.

• Options

Best Wishes to everyone for a great Holiday Season and new year

• Options
    edited December 26, 2017 12:55PM

Let the games begin. I'm really looking forward to the OSU vs USC game, two very good teams.

Oh yeah, props to Fresno State.

I was just looking at the January 1 games, every game has an SEC team in it. I think Michigan and South Carolina will be good game. I hope Central Florida beats Auburn. Go Georgia and Rollllllll Tide.

• Options

I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect OSU to have their heart in this game. I do expect USC to be sky high. I would not be surprised to see the SEC run the table on Jan 1st (except for Alabama). (and maybe Georgia) :)

Ralph

• Options

I expect Oklahoma to obliterate Georgia. I also expect OSU to play hard for J T being his last game.