Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2017

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:
    The best team in the nation played on Friday.

Yep, Wake Forest put it on A&M, btw, the BIG BOYS play on January 1, always have.

Alabama shouldn't have been put in as a second team from the same conference on a shit schedule. That's the problem.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

Where does harbaugh find all these dreadful quarterbacks?

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

UCF National Champions!!!!

You can have your computers and random people picking playoff teams; Auburn beat two of the four teams in the playoff, and they just got beat by undefeated UCF. The remaining games are exhibitions only.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Nice win by UCF. I always like the little guy to get the win so that's great.

As to Michigan's loss I still think the Big 10's bowl season was great and their total season great. They have several really good teams. Maybe not quite top 4 teams but really good and, obviously, debateable if Ohio State should have been #4. Maybe they can tell themselves they were the best team and talk about the 2017 season and how they got robbed just like we do in SacTown as to the 2002 King's that got robbed by Donaghy. Lol. No banner is no banner no matter what the fans tell each other on their message boards.

The Big 10 probably ends with #'s 5, 6, and 7 or something like that. Three top 10 teams is pretty darn good.

Will be interesting to see how the last few games play out this season.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree none of the four teams in the playoffs should get the trophy. UCF had a great season and should be declared as runner up to the Buckeyes this year. :p

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Penn State's two losses were by a combined 4 points. They should def be a top 4 or 5 team. Wisconsin at 13-1 also is easily a top four team. Why don't they go back to awarding teams with good wins, instead of awarding teams with good losses. lol

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

2015 OSU wasn't very good. They won all their games by at least 7 points except for the one they lost of course. A seven point victory over an 8-6 team, a seven point victory over a 6-7 team...that is not a great team that is a team that struggled against mediocre competition. Who cares what MAC teams have done, Northern Illinois was not very good in 2015 (ie the year you were talking about) and OSU barely beat them. Using your logic 2017 Alabama should get tons of credit for beating FSU, I mean FSU has won a national championship recently...see how silly that type of argument is? 2015 OSU might have had plenty of talent but that doesn't mean jack diddly because they didn't come to play every game.

Your comparison between 2015 OSU and 2017 Alabama has almost no merit. The only similarity is they both lost one game.

If you were logically consistent over the years then your arguments might have merit but unfortunately your argument from year to year is basically whatever might justify OSU being gifted a position in the CFP. You contradict something you previously posted almost every time you post. It is very entertaining.

Robb

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018 4:50PM

@garnettstyle

Talk about contradicting ones self. PSU and Wisconsin didn't have any good winS (multiple. More then one) in the regular season. That's exactly why they were ranked where they were at the end of the regular season. They both had exactly one win over a current ranked team. That team was Northwestern. As you have stated they have to pick the teams based on their regular season. PSU had two "good losses" and Wisconsin "one". Exactly what you are professing against.

If you were subtly trying to make a case for OSU then that theory doesn't work either as you didn't factor in a BAD loss. You have also stated that a team with two losses doesn't deserve to ranked ahead of a team with one loss.

Anyways back to the playoffs for me.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

A loss to any of these teams is not a embarrassing thing.

Mark, I would have agreed with that statement prior to watching the first half of the Oklahoma/Georgia game, but right now the Bulldogs are getting manhandled and embarrassed. a point to all the OSU talk might be a re-assessment of the Buckeye loss at home to the Sooners, in hindsight it possibly shouldn't be seen as a really bad thing. the way the Sooners are playing right now I see them beating anyone, anywhere and anytime.

they look ready for prime-time, baby!!! and, garnet, despite what your homer-it is might tell you, Oklahoma would bully OSU all over the field.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 5:11PM

@fergie23 said:
    2015 OSU wasn't very good. They won all their games by at least 7 points except for the one they lost of course. A seven point victory over an 8-6 team, a seven point victory over a 6-7 team...that is not a great team that is a team that struggled against mediocre competition. Who cares what MAC teams have done, Northern Illinois was not very good in 2015 (ie the year you were talking about) and OSU barely beat them. Using your logic 2017 Alabama should get tons of credit for beating FSU, I mean FSU has won a national championship recently...see how silly that type of argument is? 2015 OSU might have had plenty of talent but that doesn't mean jack diddly because they didn't come to play every game.

Your comparison between 2015 OSU and 2017 Alabama has almost no merit. The only similarity is they both lost one game.

If you were logically consistent over the years then your arguments might have merit but unfortunately your argument from year to year is basically whatever might justify OSU being gifted a position in the CFP. You contradict something you previously posted almost every time you post. It is very entertaining.

Robb

Lol wow what a hater. You would get destroyed at eleven warriors with your nonsense. Let me remind that the 2015 team made history with the draft and that team finished with two top ten wins including a 42-13 thumping on the road against Michigan. Their only loss was a last second field goal to a playoff team? But they were wernt very good lol.

Since your standards are so high, let me ask who your team is so we can continue this debate.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 5:22PM

Its like this with the OSU haters. If OSU wins a game by seven its, 'they struggled past such and such team.' If bama wins a close game its, 'they came away with an impressive victory.' LOL

When youre one of the top teams, its hard to stay there because you get the best effort from every team you face. The 2015 team was riding on a 23 game winning streak. And 10 out of their 13 games were blowouts. And co division champions, and fiesta bowl champions. But to the haters they weren't very good lol.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 6:04PM

This Georgia/Oklahoma game is insane. The best game Ive seen in a long long time. I will forever be kicking myself for not going to it

@DrBuster you must be dying

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

hey, did the Teams switch uniforms at half-time???

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018 6:10PM

Keep living in the past. Or even better the past you decide to invent where what happens on the field is irrelevant. 7 point wins over a 6-7 team and an 8-6 team (that lost to Boise St 55-7) and it is "we were getting the best from every team". You have an excuse every time OSU loses or plays a close game against an inferior team.

The 2015 OSU team had talent but they didn't bring it every week, just when they wanted to. You simply can't accept that. You see the same thing in college basketball where teams with multiple future NBA players can't get it done, doesn't mean their team was great just because they had talent. The 2015 OSU team had one good win before the bowl season and didn't even win the B10. Those "top ten" wins were over teams that both ended up outside the top ten in the final polls. If 2017 OSU had one loss instead of TWO they would have deserved a spot instead of 2017 Alabama but unfortunately they got mauled twice.

Eleven warriors is that where OSU fan boys go for their echo chamber fix? Never heard of it but I am sure it is chock full of alternate reality fans like yourself. I'm sure there is a similar site for all the Alabama fan boys as well.

I don't hate on any teams just irrational fans.

Despite all your SEC bashing it is 38-31 Georgia early in the 4th quarter against Oklahoma.

Robb

• Options

@keets said:
    hey, did the Teams switch uniforms at half-time???

Dejavu all over again for me. This game changed on a dime

m

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should Georgia win, they said it would be the greatest comeback in RoseBowl history. Still alot of football to play.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I remember the 1963 Rose Bowl. That was a comeback for the ages. Only problem, Wisconsin fell just a bit short.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    I remember the 1963 Rose Bowl. That was a comeback for the ages. Only problem, Wisconsin fell just a bit short.

Tell me more!

m

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 6:45PM

And that 1963 game was a #1 USC - #2 Wisconsin match up. Readers Digest condensed verson is The badgers scored 23 straight points in the 4th quarter and lost 42-37. I believe Ron Vander Kellen ?... Sorry I am not spelling his name right set a RoseBowl passing record in that game which has likely been broken... Off hand, I can 't tell by who.

• Options

Wisconsin had a receiver who just kept catching the ball. I think Richter? At end of game he didn't catch one. Game over. But I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

Ralph

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat Richter rebuilt UW athletics.

• Options

Clemson looks like Michigan tonight. Oh well. I will be working next Monday night. Hope everyone enjoys the sec championship

• Options

Let the shatting on the playoff/ESPN committee begin.

UCF/Nebraska coach fires first.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21936289/scott-frost-cfp-committee-made-conscious-effort-keep-ucf-knights-playoff

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 10:05PM

Final power 5 bowl records

Big Ten 7-1
    Big 12 5-3
    Sec 4-5
    ACC 4-6
    PAC 12 1-8

• Options

And hopefully everyone will note that both teams in the "championship" game lost to Auburn. And that Auburn lost to UCF. No matter which team you start with, no matter what order you line up the teams, when you play the "X beat Y" and "Y beat Z" game, EVERY possible path leads to UCF being the deserving national champion. I not only believe that they deserve to be considered the national champ this year, I don't think the argument in favor of any other team passes the laugh test. And that's an unavoidable problem when you set up a championship selection process that can exclude an undefeated team.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

We weren't good enough.
    We didn't deserve to be there.
    We play in the weak SEC.
    We dominated Clemson.
    Roll Tide Roll.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 10:26PM

T> @dallasactuary said:

And hopefully everyone will note that both teams in the "championship" game lost to Auburn. And that Auburn lost to UCF. No matter which team you start with, no matter what order you line up the teams, when you play the "X beat Y" and "Y beat Z" game, EVERY possible path leads to UCF being the deserving national champion. I not only believe that they deserve to be considered the national champ this year, I don't think the argument in favor of any other team passes the laugh test. And that's an unavoidable problem when you set up a championship selection process that can exclude an undefeated team.

Totally agree. Ive been seeing people on other boards saying that UCF should be #1. They certainly have a good argument.

The AP should vote them #1, then we would get a split national champion.

• Options

@Bullsitter
    @DrBuster

Congrats and good luck to both of you!

mark

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    T> @dallasactuary said:

Totally agree. Ive been seeing people on other boards saying that UCF should be #1. They certainly have a good argument.

That will never happen. Although I could see UCF passing some of the two loss teams like Penn State, Ohio State and maybe a Clemson or Oklahoma and finish as high as #3.

mark

• Options
    edited January 2, 2018 1:30AM

Faker Mayfield crying again, it's ok little buddy.... :'( ....Way to go Georgia.

Well Dr.Buster it ought to be a great game. I just hope we have enough healthy players to field a team.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2018 1:33AM

@garnettstyle said:
    T> @dallasactuary said:

Garnett, you have trashed Bama's schedule at least a dozen times. Have you looked at UCF's schedule? Why don't you trash theirs as well. Also, you know college football, no doubt about it. Do you really think Auburn gave a rats ass about playing UCF?

Food for thought, Auburn beat Alabama and Georgia, both games at Auburn.

Oh yeah.......LSU, c'mon man.

• Options

Hey Garnett.....it would have been,

OSU 31
    Clemson 0

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still can't believe the doubt OT action, unreal. Debating wether I'm going to go to the title game.

And that rose bowl looked about 80% UGA red, crazy!

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

Agreed UCF has a case as do several teams. So I guess the final top 25 starts like this:

1) OSU
    2) Wisconsin
    3) Penn State
    4) UCF
    5) Alabama/UGA winner
    etc....

:)

Congrats to the winners.

If a team schedules tough competition and beats all their competition there shouldn't be much to debate. Until then we have debates.

It's an imperfect system. Such is life.

• Options

I must agree UCF defeating Auburn should eliminate Auburn from the National Championship. Auburn defeating Georgia and Alabama eliminates them. The "semi finals" eliminate Oklahoma and Clemson. UCF did not defeat any BIG school therefore this final ranking although made in jest is quite accurate......Iowa?... OK just give them the dadburn trophy.

Agreed UCF has a case as do several teams. So I guess the final top 25 starts like this:

1) OSU
    2) Wisconsin
    3) Penn State
    4) UCF
    5) Alabama/UGA winner
    etc....

Congrats to the winners.

If a team schedules tough competition and beats all their competition there shouldn't be much to debate. Until then we have debates.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    I must agree UCF defeating Auburn should eliminate Auburn from the National Championship. Auburn defeating Georgia and Alabama eliminates them. The "semi finals" eliminate Oklahoma and Clemson. UCF did not defeat any BIG school therefore this final ranking although made in jest is quite accurate......Iowa?... OK just give them the dadburn trophy.

1) OSU
    2) Wisconsin
    3) Penn State
    4) UCF
    5) Alabama/UGA winner
    etc....

Congrats to the winners.

Ya, but OK beat OSU, and OSU beat Penn State and Wisconsin, and Wisconsin beat Miami, etc.... Maybe UCF is the real national champ!?

• Options

I would not be upset to see them ranked #2 by AP. I do feel their schedule should preclude them from #1. The committee may have felt they were saving them from the embarrassment that befell OSU last year, feeling they would have no chance against the "Big Boys."

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    I would not be upset to see them ranked #2 by AP. I do feel their schedule should preclude them from #1. The committee may have felt they were saving them from the embarrassment that befell OSU last year, feeling they would have no chance against the "Big Boys."

Agreed. I would have no problem with that either. The reality is that the non-power 5 schools (Boise State on numerous occasions) had the same thing as UCF this year. I used to watch Boise State closely when Dan Hawkins was the coach and then when Chris Petersen took over as well. They would get into the top 25 mid-way through the season, move up to about 15-16, and then stall in the rankings. The voters didn't want to get them too high and be forced to put them into a NY day bowl. Of course, Boise's epic win over OK in the Fiesta Bowl showed they belonged... at least on that one day. An underdog win for the ages!

• Options
    edited January 2, 2018 10:11AM

some post-Major Bowl weekend and pre-Championship Game thoughts.
    1). I think that without a doubt the Oklahoma vs. Georgia game was the most exciting.
    2). the Michigan loss was the most surprising.
    3). Clemson vs. Alabama seemed the most lackluster.
    4). the UCF finale coupled with what will essentially be another SEC Championship game should serve to highlight what we have debated here for the past few years, the need for a better thought out way to choose Teams.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have spent some time thinking about what might be fair and make sense, but there seems nothing clear-cut. I always get stuck after five Teams --- Power Five Champions. I guess that means we are stuck with what we have had for a few years, three simple choices and one controversial one. I wish that the Power Five Conferences would try to figure something out to have inter-conference play in their schedules so we could get a better idea of who is really the best.

having a system of voting without actual competition will always be flawed, that's what UCF has showed us this year. there will always be bias and there will always be the biggest Conferences saying the lesser Conferences shouldn't be invited to the Ball!!! what are they afraid of?? what does Ohio State hope to gain by playing UNLV, what does Alabama hope to gain playing Mercer??? the Buckeyes scheduled Oklahoma and lost, more of the top schools should be willing to do that and face the criticism, but the truth is that it's safer to play a patsy.

the game next week should be good, I think based on yesterday's play that the edge is to Georgia.

• Options

@keets said:
    some post-Major Bowl weekend and pre-Championship Game thoughts.
    1). I think that without a doubt the Oklahoma vs. Georgia game was the most exciting.
    2). the Michigan loss was the most surprising.
    3). Clemson vs. Alabama seemed the most lackluster.
    4). the UCF finale coupled with what will essentially be another SEC Championship game should serve to highlight what we have debated here for the past few years, the need for a better thought out way to choose Teams.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have spent some time thinking about what might be fair and make sense, but there seems nothing clear-cut. I always get stuck after five Teams --- Power Five Champions. I guess that means we are stuck with what we have had for a few years, three simple choices and one controversial one. I wish that the Power Five Conferences would try to figure something out to have inter-conference play in their schedules so we could get a better idea of who is really the best.

having a system of voting without actual competition will always be flawed, that's what UCF has showed us this year. there will always be bias and there will always be the biggest Conferences saying the lesser Conferences shouldn't be invited to the Ball!!! what are they afraid of?? what does Ohio State hope to gain by playing UNLV, what does Alabama hope to gain playing Mercer??? the Buckeyes scheduled Oklahoma and lost, more of the top schools should be willing to do that and face the criticism, but the truth is that it's safer to play a patsy.

the game next week should be good, I think based on yesterday's play that the edge is to Georgia.

No perfect answer for sure. Even if we went 8 UCF and USC might be on the outside saying they could have won three in a row. However, the further you go (4, 8, 16, whatever) the whining means less and less.

The "perfect" system would probably involve 8 conferences of 9 or 10 teams, you play everybody in your conference and the 8 conference champs go to the playoffs. Or maybe it's 7 conferences plus a wild card for the 8th spot from the non-power conference schools!? Actually, no, less wild card the better. 8 conferences, 8 conference champs, and run with it. Still not perfect though because one conference can suck. Oh well.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alabama football coach Nick Saban will be paid $11.125 million this season under a three-year contract extension that includes a $4 million signing bonus approved Tuesday by the university board of trustees’ compensation committee.
    Altogether, the eight-year deal running through Jan. 31, 2025, is scheduled to pay Saban $65 million, not including incentive bonuses that could total $700,000 each year.
    The $11.125 million that Saban is set to receive for this season will be, by far, the greatest amount paid to a college athletics coach since USA TODAY Sports began tracking the compensation of football and men's basketball coaches in 2006. It also likely makes him one of the nation's most highly paid public employees -- if not the highest-paid.
    Source: ESPN

Somehow it just seems incredibly wrong to have the coach make almost a million per game and those who take all the hits and make all the plays get zip. College football is an uber-cash cow for Universities and colleges whose teams do well.

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    keets my thoughts somewhat align with yours

1) Alabama's defense is the best I've ever seen. I can't imagine what it looks like when completely heathy

2) Baker Mayfield is a bit of a punk

3) the Georgia/Oklahoma game was a Rose Bowl for the ages

4) Michigan sucks

5) the commitee got it 100% right if it was their job to get the 4 best teams.

6) the only reason UCF is being brought up now by garnettstyle and his other 10 warriors is that it's an all SEC final. It's it was Oklahoma vs Clemson for example we would be hearing how Ohio State got jobbed some more and LOL on the SEC. But since it's all SEC they are all of a sudden going with the UCF angle to some how disparage another SEC National Championship.

There wasn't a peep out of anyone about UCF being left out until now. Where was the outrage prior? Where was the UCF deserves to be in the semi finals over Alabama or Ohio State prior from anyone not associated with UCF? What a pathetic reach by those that can't stand the SEC or Alabama in particular.

If I was Scott Frost I would be stirring things up to. However, up to the Auburn game where did their schedule stack up?

The SEC might have not of had the best conference overall this year but it's a fact they had the best two teams

mark

Spot on.

Clemson looked like dog crap against a superior Bama squad. Looks like folks don't like what they saw. Total domination by the Tide. Now these "fans" think UCF is better than BAMA. Thanks for giving us a laugh. That was funny. Imagine if this healthy BAMA squad was playing UCF next week for the national championship. Could you even imagine. Would UCF rush for 20 yards ? Pass for even 100 ? Clemson could only kick two field goals. LOL.

• Options

Those who are calling for more teams to make the playoffs are entitled to their opinion, however the committee got the four best teams. The UGA-OU game was outstanding. The BAMA game was a clinic. No one else belonged but those four.

• Options

Maybe there is still a chance we get to 1000.

• Options

News circulating that the majority of SEC haters are very happy with the playoff results from yesterday. They are happy that they will be able to see an SEC team lose in the championship game.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    6) the only reason UCF is being brought up now by garnettstyle and his other 10 warriors is that it's an all SEC final. It's it was Oklahoma vs Clemson for example we would be hearing how Ohio State got jobbed some more and LOL on the SEC. But since it's all SEC they are all of a sudden going with the UCF angle to some how disparage another SEC National Championship.

I won't speak for garnettstyle and his warriors, but I brought up UCF long before I knew there would be an all SEC final. A system that doesn't even allow for the possibility that the nation's only undefeated team might be the best team in the nation is a joke. I was rooting for Alabama and Georgia - both teams that Auburn defeated - to make the final so that it would be as clear as it possibly could be that it was indeed possible that UCF was the best team. We have replaced a system based entirely on subjective opinion (polls) with another system based entirely on subjective opinion, but absent the honesty. I don't know what the "correct" number of teams is to put in a playoff, but I know that even if that number is 2 that the only undefeated team must be included or the entire playoff is pointless. Imagine the NFL arbitrarily deciding that there were too many teams in the playoffs and telling New England that they had to sit this one out, because a committee decided they should. That is what happened in college football, and my interest in which of the two teams Auburn beat gets crowned national champion is non-existent as a result.

• Options

every year with the current format there has been one Team and their fan-base that felt cheated or left out. I suppose it'll take enough of that happening in turn to all the Conferences before the NCAA does something. recently, the trend has been toward more Teams in each Conference, maybe that needs to change with a realignment to give eight power conferences instead of five.

fans will hate that and schools will fight it, but there is precedence in professional football when the two Leagues merged. fans of Teams that moved to the AFC hated it at first but it's not a big deal now.

one thing that hasn't happened in the four Team format, there hasn't been an independent that the committee had to include. wait till that happens, or better yet, wait till a Team like Notre Dame is on the bubble and gets left out. they told TCU "Have a Conference Championship Game" and you can participate, will they tell an independent "Join a Conference" and you can participate??

• Options
    edited January 2, 2018 7:27PM

Hiya Dallas. Happy New Year! Noted on garnettstyle and that's why I worded it like I did.

The system Is flawed by very design. It's barely better then the BCS. One could say that the reason UCF was undefeated was their regular season schedule. One could say many teams would be undefeated if they played UCF's regular season schedule. One could say if they were in a four team playoff they wouldn't win both games. One could hypothesize many things. It's what we are forced with to deal with.

I'm under the opinion if you aren't going to do an inclusive tournament we would be better off with the old bowl system and let the chips fall where they may.

I would love if UCF rose to #3 in the AP poll. That would indeed send a message albeit a moral victory only. That's about the best they could hope for at this point

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Hiya Dallas. Happy New Year!

One could say that the reason UCF was undefeated was their regular season schedule. One could say many teams would be undefeated if they played UCF's regular season schedule. One could say if they were in a four team playoff they wouldn't win both games. One could hypothesize many things. It's what we are forced with to deal with.

And a Happy New Year to you, too!

And yes, one could say all of those things and as a result we have a system that is decided by what a small group of random people say. But more importantly, one could say the same things about any team. And after UCF beat Auburn, I don't know why it makes any more sense to say those things about UCF than about Alabama or Georgia.

And I get that no matter how many teams they let in, there always be at least one team that will complain. So be it. But that team should never be an undefeated team. This year, I'd have given UCF the first slot and then let the random people fill the other three. As it is, UCF was eliminated from national title consideration before the season even started. If that's the way it is, then announce it officially, stop ranking those teams, and stop counting wins against teams in minor conferences towards the six wins needed to qualify for a bowl game.