Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2017

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even the Westin is in on the action, got the trophy done up on the side!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 7:55AM

@garnettstyle said:
    If alabama wins, then UCF is the true national champion. Alabama had ZERO good wins to qualify for a playoff spot. Therefore, they did not deserve to be in the big dance.

The playoff system is rigged. Because the only reason why alabama got in is for brand name only.

Are you saying that Bama has a better reputation than OSU, is that what you're saying?....... ;)

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

There may be complaints about Alabama's soft schedule allowing them in. However those complaints should be dispelled if they defeat Clemson and Georgia back to back. The only team with a legitimate complaint is UCF. BTW if the Browns can have a parade so can UCF.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Tailgate time, GO DAWGS!

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    There may be complaints about Alabama's soft schedule allowing them in. However those complaints should be dispelled if they defeat Clemson and Georgia back to back. The only team with a legitimate complaint is UCF. BTW if the Browns can have a parade so can UCF.

Ohio State also has a legitimate complaint the way they closed out the season beating an undefeated team, and then destroying a conference champion. Its hard to win a championship with a freshmen QB. That's the reason why Alabama has the edge in the playoffs..

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Was that OSU "closing out the season" before or after they got massacred by Iowa? You seem to have amnesia about pretty much the worse loss any team sniffing at the College Football Playoffs had. After you lose your second game by 31 points to an unranked team, whatever you do next is pretty much irrelevant.

I am pretty sure you used the wins by OSU in the college football playoffs in 2014 to justify why they deserved to be in the CFP instead of TCU. Even though TCU had "better" wins in 2014 and a "better" loss in 2014 than OSU.

Robb

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 3:46PM

@Bullsitter
    @DrBuster

Best luck to both of you.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

In 2014 OSU certainly showed they were the right choice. If my memory is correct I believe the choice was between OSU and Baylor due to their league or head to head play. TCU was not even in consideration even though they had a fine team, much the same as OSU not even considered in 2015, even though they could have won it all.

Ralph

• Options
    edited January 8, 2018 5:07PM

Baylor was 5 and TCU was 6. Both finished the regular season with one loss. TCU had the much better wins but loss head to head with Baylor. OSU had the worst loss in that group of 3. At home to a mediocre VT team team. Many felt TCU was the more deserving choice for the 4th spot. But OSU got the spot and the rest is history. Moral of the story. Don't get voted #5

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Baylor was 5 and TCU was 6. Both finished the regular season with one loss. TCU had the much better wins but loss head to head with Baylor. OSU had the worst loss in that group of 3. At home to a mediocre VT team team. Many felt TCU was the more deserving choice for the 4th spot. But OSU got the spot and the rest is history. Moral of the story. Don't get voted #5

m

Wasn't that the year TCU was 3rd and then dropped to 5 or 6 even though they won their last regular season game!? It showed the committee will do what they want when they want. Not saying it was wrong to exclude TCU but it was a big change from one week to another.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2018 6:12PM

@larryallen73 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Wasn't that the year TCU was 3rd and then dropped to 5 or 6 even though they won their last regular season game!? It showed the committee will do what they want when they want. Not saying it was wrong to exclude TCU but it was a big change from one week to another.

I think OSU was around number 8 before they waxed Wisconsin in the B1G Championship Game and jumped several teams ( Ole Miss, Baylor and TCU off the top of my head )

Jeff Long was committee chairman then as he is now. I think garnettstyle called the same guy/corrupt the following year and they got it wrong. Hard to keep track

m

• Options

Secret service security line sucked but GO DAWGS!

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Was that OSU "closing out the season" before or after they got massacred by Iowa? You seem to have amnesia about pretty much the worse loss any team sniffing at the College Football Playoffs had. After you lose your second game by 31 points to an unranked team, whatever you do next is pretty much irrelevant.

I am pretty sure you used the wins by OSU in the college football playoffs in 2014 to justify why they deserved to be in the CFP instead of TCU. Even though TCU had "better" wins in 2014 and a "better" loss in 2014 than OSU.

Robb

Better to lose to a 8 win team than a 4 win team like Clemson did this year. The point margin makes no difference. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. Some games teams don't show up. Georgia lost to a 4 loss team by 23 points. Look what they accomplished since?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

after the first half the only thing that comes to mind is embarrassing domination by Georgia.

the way things started it seemed Alabama had speed at the corner and Georgia had power up the middle. neither Team showed much in the way of passing at first, but that all changed quickly. Alabama looks sluggish and undisciplined, committing some penalties that were costly and actually took points off the board.

--- I would not want to be in the Alabama locker room listening to Nick Saban right now.
    --- on the Georgia sideline, their Head Coach is merciless when a player makes a mistake, what a maniac!!!
    --- aside from the one long run by Hurts, Alabama had nothing much to show.
    --- all the pre-game hype was about the Alabama defense, the first half displayed that defense being out played and the Georgia defense swarming.

if this game holds true to form for the playoffs so far, the second half will be much different.

• Options

Georgia took them to the woodshed in the first half. Oh my. Georgia is an easy team to root for

m

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like what I am seeing so far. Long way to go though.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2018 9:28PM

4th qtr, GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even matchup. They should cancel OT and hand the trophy to the Knights.

• Options

as I suspected, the Teams swapped uniforms at the half.

everything that Georgia did right in the first half Alabama did right in the second half. everything that Alabama did wrong in the first half Georgia did wrong in the second half. now it's come down to what many NFL games end as, the Team who has the ball last generally wins.

Congratulations to Alabama................................oh my God, he missed it!!!

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh God. I thought it was a mistake to center the ball. He kicks that at a slight angle it is good and game over.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 10:13PM

One could say many teams would be undefeated if they played UCF's regular season schedule.

This is the reality of situation. To utilize a cross-sports analogy, it's like taking Jim Rice's career stats at face value without considering the Fenway factor. Strength of schedule in this case is analogous to such an example, imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

wow, what a finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, out here on the West Coast with no real rooting interest, most of us are "Anyone but Alabama"... but that ending was unbelievable! I was sure we were going to 2OT after that sack or another missed FG... did not see that coming.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2018 10:18PM

One of the greatest games ever. Whoever missed this game missed a classic

Nick Saban ties Paul Bear Bryant for most National Championships

Alabama 5 titles in 9 years. The dynasty continues

True Freshman to True Freshman for the game winning TD

Both teams best players tonight were true freshman. Unbelievable. The future is bright for both teams

I feel so bad for Dr Buster and Georgia and equally happy for Bullsitter

mark

• Options

Congratulations to Alabama. Heartbreak for Georgia.

Ralph

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia played through two thrilling finishes during these playoffs...one up, one down.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@keets said:

everything that Georgia did right in the first half Alabama did right in the second half. everything that Alabama did wrong in the first half Georgia did wrong in the second half. now it's come down to what many NFL games end as, the Team who has the ball last generally wins.

Congratulations to Alabama................................oh my God, he missed it!!!

I kept googling the score at work. Seems Georgia had the lead the entire game. HOW DID THEY BLOW IT?

• Options

What a game, hats off to Georgia, they left it on the field.

Roll Tide !!!!

• Options

My final top ten rankings.

1/tie. UCF
    Alabama
    3. Ohio State
    4. Wisconsin
    5. Georgia
    6. Penn State
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Clemson
    9. Notre Dame
    10. Michigan State

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@keets said:

I kept googling the score at work. Seems Georgia had the lead the entire game. HOW DID THEY BLOW IT?

They didn't blow it sorry to report

m

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2018 10:41PM

the first half literally put me to sleep. sure glad I woke up.

supremely impressed with Tua and Hurts in those postgame interviews. mad props to both of those kids

edit: and many thanks to Tom Rinaldi for asking a bevy of dumbass questions, per usual

• Options
    edited January 8, 2018 10:50PM

I could live with this:

1. Alabama
    2. Georgia
    3. UCF
    4. Clemson
    5. Oklahoma
    6. Ohio State
    7. Wisconsin
    8. Penn State
    9. Notre Dame
    10. TCU

But its likely to be

1. Alabama
    2. Georgia
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Clemson or Ohio State
      6 UCF
      7 Wisconsin
      8 Penn State
      9 Notre Dame
      10 TCU

But it really doesn't matter as we live in a winner take all world

m

• Options
    edited January 8, 2018 10:45PM

What nads for Saban to put in a true freshman to start the second half and to stick with him after the first 3 and out

m

• Options

Ok I found out from another board that Georgia was up 20-7 in the 2nd half. And got beat by a freshman QB that never started a game. Hilarious.

• Options

Also the Alabama kicker missed 2 easy field goals. Lucky they won, but no way are they the best team in the country.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2018 11:22PM

@garnettstyle said:
    Also the Alabama kicker missed 2 easy field goals. Lucky they won, but no way are they the best team in the country.

Coming from someone who didn't even see the game and claimed he wouldn't watch the playoffs. You are such a poor sport.

Alabama proved it on the field. Proving it on your other cyber boards is not a top priority I'm sorry to report . I invite you to join the real world

National Championships are won on the field not in your chat rooms or the basements of America.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

Coming from someone who didn't even see the game and claimed he wouldn't watch the playoffs. You are such a poor sport.

Alabama proved it on the field. Proving it on your other cyber boards is not a top priority I'm sorry to report

mark

From reading the other boards, neither team looked that great. And Georgia should've won the game, but a major letdown.
    Saw this comment from another board...'That cover man for Georgia should be hung. Leave his man wide open like that. Wow!'

Alabama proved they can get to the playoffs beating nobody.

• Options

Surreal roller coaster of emotions. What a game to witness live. No cherry on top but wouldn't trade it for the world.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

Alabama proved it on the field. Proving it on your other cyber boards is not a top priority I'm sorry to report

mark

From reading the other boards, neither team looked that great. And Georgia should've won the game, but a major letdown.
    Saw this comment from another board...'That cover man for Georgia should be hung. Leave his man wide open like that. Wow!'

Alabama proved they can get to the playoffs beating nobody.

Lost cause. No matter who won or what the score was you were going to crap all over the game. The best part you didn't even see the game. i invite you to think for yourself in next years thread

mark

• Options

Congrats Bullsitter! A game for the ages. So many big plays tonight. What was going through your head after the QB change and the first 3 and out?

mark

• Options

I thought, well that's it, I'm going to have to listen to Garnetts crap all year.... :D

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    Surreal roller coaster of emotions. What a game to witness live. No cherry on top but wouldn't trade it for the world.

You're a class act my friend

m

• Options
    edited January 9, 2018 1:37AM

Thank you Mark.

We got beat. By ourselves and by Bama, in that order I believe, sigh.

I posted this below with my 3:15 am cocktail after finally getting home....the adrenaline detox delay is no joke, even at 24 hrs up!! I am not anticipating sleep soon unless I chew on some arthritis and muscle relaxer pills with this stiff drink, ha!

Almost hr24 of being up. What a roller coaster of surreality to have witnessed in person. As a freshman at Ga Tech helping bring the goalposts down at the national championship win over Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl, to this loss as an alumni a few blocks from my office in the CFB Championship 27 years later, this day is an unfortunate ring of emotional material to process in combination as a whole that I will never forget. Thank you Tech, thank you UGA!!! Dawgs better bring it again next year, WOOF!!!

I took my younger brother who has gone to UGA games with me since before I graduated. There was no way in hell we wouldn't have been at this game in the city we live in, rooting for our Dawgs. A win would have been nice, but the memories will never, ever be forgotten.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure "a loss is a loss" was not the argument you used last year when justifying why OSU deserved to get into the CFP (only to be taken to the woodshed and embarrassed by Clemson) over Penn State. If you had any consistency in your arguments people would take them more seriously. But alas you are just a sore loser who uses the argument du jour for trying to explain why OSU is the best. Seemingly oblivious that you contradict yourself from year to year.

I have to admit I didn't think Alabama would continue to win national championships once the CFP started. Their yearly domination of the SEC seemed a reflection of the SEC rather than Alabama. While I am tired of seeing them win and in the playoff conversation every year you have to give props to Saban. His ability to recruit and have his players stay focused and compete every week is very impressive. I don't think any other coach in America would have benched Hurts for the second half, takes some serious moxie to do that.

Robb

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football season is over. It was exciting.

Next up, March Madness.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I don't see that anybody posted this. The Final AP top 25. FWIW:

AP Top 25
    RK TEAM REC PTS TREND
    1 Alabama(57) 13-1 1521 3
    2 Georgia 13-2 1454 1
    3 Oklahoma 12-2 1374 1
    4 Clemson 12-2 1292 3
    5 Ohio State 12-2 1286 —
    6 UCF(4) 13-0 1248 4
    7 Wisconsin 13-1 1194 1
    8 Penn State 11-2 1120 1
    9 TCU 11-3 974 4
    10 Auburn 10-4 917 3
    11 Notre Dame 10-3 857 3
    12 USC 11-3 839 4
    13 Miami 10-3 769 2
    14 Oklahoma State 10-3 758 3
    15 Michigan State 10-3 705 3
    16 Washington 10-3 668 4
    17 Northwestern 10-3 528 3
    18 LSU 9-4 368 2
    19 Mississippi State 9-4 359 5
    20 Stanford 9-5 336 5
    21 South Florida 10-2 267 2
    22 Boise State 11-3 251 3
    23 NC State 9-4 232 NR
    24 Virginia Tech 9-4 126 2
    25 Memphis 10-3 119 6

• Options

the game, IMHO, had three critical turning points in the second half.
    --- after Alabama scored a TD to close at 13-7 Georgia had that 80 yard bomb response.
    --- two plays later Georgia intercepted and Alabama should have been dead, but a freak pass off a helmet ON THE NEXT PLAY returned the ball to Alabama. even though they were held to a FG I think that sort of killed Georgia and really energized Alabama.
    --- the late Interference penalty on Parrish really, really hurt and helped lead to the score that tied the game.

I didn't see any of the game awards but Harris and Tagovailoa should have shared the MVP award.

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

• Options
    edited January 9, 2018 1:05PM

I cant believe how many people HATE the big ten. Michigan state beats #18 team by 4 touchdowns and only moves up one spot. Ohio state beats a top ten conference champ and doesn't move up at all. Wisconsin beats the ACC's 2nd best team on the road and actually DROPS a spot. Penn State beats #11 and only moves up one spot. Iowa had 2 good wins and doesn't make the top 25 when auburn last year at 8-5 finished at #24. LSU loses and doesn't drop any spots. WOW just wow.

This is solid proof the poll system is rigged against the Big Ten and FOR the SEC.