Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football 2017

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe any rational fan can argue with the top three picks in the playoffs. The only question was Alabama or OSU. Both teams had really good years with a couple negatives along the way. I thought OSU would be in but I could be slightly biased. The committee felt the Buckeyes negatives trumped Alabama's negatives. Such is life. Next year we need to show up every week.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 10:20PM

@garnettstyle said:
    7-0 what an amazing accomplishment. Wisconsin finishes at 13-1 with a road win against Miami.

Screw the committee and their southern playoffs.

Screw the committee and the writers poll and the coaches poll who all had it Clemson/Oklahoma/ Georgia and Alabama. That's a consensus

If they don't see it your way screw them all

Got it

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle
    @garnettstyle said:
    The BIG TEN are making the committee look bad. Leaving that conference out for two sec teams was a huge mistake.

No mistake. They got the four best teams. The Big Ten might have the next best three teams.

Regardless it's great to see the Big Ten winning these secondary Bowl games for a change.
    Especially when they were favored in 7 out of 8 Bowl games they are participating in. Rare indeed. Very enjoyable. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for this to happen

m

They didn't get the four best teams. They made a huge mistake. No way alabama deserved to get in the way they played in November. And losing their last game against their rival and getting rewarded. The big ten has proven all year that they are a better conference than the sec and ohio state would beat their conference champion...a team that got a undeserved rematch against auburn. Ohio state with three wins over top ten teams and the conference currently at 6-0 are indeed making the committee look bad.

Nah. The committee and the Polls all got it right. When you lose by 31 to an unranked team and to a team in the playoffs at home by 15 you get what you deserve. You don't have a leg to stand on.

When the Big Ten loses most of their Bowl games you cry foul ( like last year and the year before and so on and so on). When they win bowl games as it this year you cite it as a point of honor. Either way you cover yourself. Last year you stated that the Bowl games didn't matter ( because the B1G was 3-7 ) and the Big Team was still the best conference because they were rated that way in the regular season. So now it matters? Your opinion is that of a homer and that's your right and your entitled to your opinion. It's ok but it doesn't take away from the four teams that are in the semi finals. It's winner take all and it will be decided on the grid iron just like it was in 2015 when Ohio State snuck into the 4th spot and won it all much to TCU''s dismay. Ohio State proved it on the playing field in 2015 just like someone else will this year.

mark

Nope, never said those things. Nice lie.

You sound like a butt hurt Michigan fan...oh that's right YOU ARE LOL.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 10:29PM

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:
    7-0 what an amazing accomplishment. Wisconsin finishes at 13-1 with a road win against Miami.

Screw the committee and the writers poll and the coaches poll who all had it Clemson/Oklahoma/ Georgia and Alabama. That's a consensus

Got it

m

Alabama and ohio state was neck and neck in the polls, and the committee stated the final spot came down to those two teams. The committee also had MIAMA at number 2 before they lost. So how did that work out? Why cant you admit it was wrong to put two sec teams in, considering there are 3 teams from the Big Ten that have a case for being in the top four when the final rankings come out.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a great 2018, Mark.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Have a great 2018, Mark.

Ditto Mark!

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2017 11:37PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

Got it

m

Alabama and ohio state was neck and neck in the polls, and the committee stated the final spot came down to those two teams. The committee also had MIAMA at number 2 before they lost. So how did that work out? Why cant you admit it was wrong to put two sec teams in, considering there are 3 teams from the Big Ten that have a case for being in the top four when the final rankings come out.

After the regular season somebody had to be #4 and somebody had to be #5 that's why. The commitee and the two major polls all saw it the same way.

It's like you want to have a do over AFTER all the Bowls games are done. It doesn't work that way. So last year when OSU was in the playoffs and they lost 31-0 to Clemson I suppose that meant they didn't deserve to be in the playoffs? Is that how it works on Planet Garnettstyie?

Besides who cares if you finish #3 or #4 after all the Bowl games are done. I will leave you to the immortal words of Ricky Bobby.........

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 12:05AM

One year ago from the 2016 thread

@PM770 said:

» show previous quotes
    Based on their bowl performances, maybe the good thing that will come out of this is more credit will be given to conference championships and head-to-head victories which were ignored in the Ohio State-Penn State comparison. I've been very uncomfortable with that since the final rankings, and thought the committee set a very poor precedent in leaving Penn State out in favor of Ohio State. Championship need to matter. And I say that as an Ohio State fan.

@garnettstyle said
    Getting blown out by Michigan and beat by Pitt means you don't get invited to the playoffs. Playoff teams are selected before the bowl games.

One year later

@justacommeman. Getting blown out by Iowa by 31 and beat soundly at home by Oklahoma means you don't get invited to the playoffs. Playoff teams are selected before the Bowl games. Just remember that after the playoff games @garnettstyle

mark

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 2:54AM

@Justacommeman said:

@PM770 said:

» show previous quotes
    Based on their bowl performances, maybe the good thing that will come out of this is more credit will be given to conference championships and head-to-head victories which were ignored in the Ohio State-Penn State comparison. I've been very uncomfortable with that since the final rankings, and thought the committee set a very poor precedent in leaving Penn State out in favor of Ohio State. Championship need to matter. And I say that as an Ohio State fan.

@garnettstyle said
    Getting blown out by Michigan and beat by Pitt means you don't get invited to the playoffs. Playoff teams are selected before the bowl games.

One year later

@justacommeman. Getting blown out by Iowa by 31 and beat soundly at home by Oklahoma means you don't get invited to the playoffs. Playoff teams are selected before the Bowl games. Just remember that after the playoff games @garnettstyle

mark

Ohio state didn't lose their last game in 2016 before they got in. They had a great year beating top ten teams. This year bama has beaten zero top ten teams.

Both teams had a decent case to get in. this year. The biggest issue I have with the commitees choice is putting two sec teams in when they didn't deserve it. The big ten is the strongest conference top to bottom. They deserved a shot instead of getting shut out. Now we have the possibility of having an all sec championship. Remember what happened in 2011? NO ONE WATCHED.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 4:27AM

Look Garnett, you're not the only Buckeye crying. Need a dry towel?
    Iowa destroyed you and kept you out of the playoffs, get over it.

Remember in 2015 when you said this, lol.
    Here's what YOU said.....

@garnettstyle said

"I just think a 2 loss team should not be ranked ahead of any one loss team."

My question is this. Did you mean what you said or were you just bumping your gums? Or could you be saying "YOUR" rules apply to everyone except OSU? I've never seen a grown man cry more than you.... :'(

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

The college playoff committee got it right. The best four teams are in the playoff.
    Ohio State was lucky to face a USC team who got clocked by Notre Dame by 35 points.
    Ohio State's weaknesses would have been exposed badly in matchups against Georgia, Clemson, or Alabama. They were already exposed by Oklahoma in their own back yard this year. No more proof needed, need I say Iowa. Alabama's only loss was on the road to the hottest team in the country. Bama's weaknesses will be healthy come bowl time.

• Options

@Brick said:
    I don't believe any rational fan can argue with the top three picks in the playoffs. The only question was Alabama or OSU. Both teams had really good years with a couple negatives along the way. I thought OSU would be in but I could be slightly biased. The committee felt the Buckeyes negatives trumped Alabama's negatives. Such is life. Next year we need to show up every week.

I'm not an Alabama cheerleader, but I'd interested to hear what you believe Alabama's "negatives" were. When you say negatives, you're referring to more than one. I'm not even sure you can call losing at Auburn a "negative", other than it was a loss on the road to a great football team. If Alabama lost at home, then perhaps you can call it a negative. Just interested to hear what you felt their negatives were. Thanks.

• Options

I guess my only question for Ohio State fans is this.

Would you be pushing for Alabama to make the playoffs if Ohio State's only loss this year was a road loss at Penn State, and Alabama lost twice ? Bama got crushed on the road to Arkansas, and got beat soundly at home to Oklahoma ? Would you be screaming for Bama to be in over Ohio State ?

• Options

If OSU had gotten in Garnett would be crying because they would have to play Clemson again and we all know what happened last year. The committee was looking out for OSU by keeping them out. OSU should thank the committee, at least they went out a winner instead of another 31-0 thrashing by Clemson.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the pressure is on Harbaugh at Michigan tomorrow. coupled with his inability to beat OSU, losing consecutive Bowl games won't be a good thing. also, the pressure is on some forum members if Alabama loses because garnet will be sure to see that they eat crow. these things, who is the better Team and which conference is best, have a funny way of working themselves out.

I think you guys take this all a little too seriously. everyone likes to rag on garnet and OSU, but in reality you're the same as him, the other side of the coin rooting for Alabama. that makes it hard not to root for Clemson and Oklahoma.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have rather see the Big Ten teams finish unbeaten in the bowl season which may be the first and only time in my lifetime than see one team, regardless as to which team, loose in the first game of the so-called play-offs by a wide margin casting doubt as to whether they should have been there in the first place.

Michigan was the team I had the highest hopes for at the beginning of the season... A win today would be huge for the conference more so than the Michigan program. I can only hope they are up for the challenge.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I don't mean to disparage Alabama. They had a great year and deserve to be in the playoffs almost as much as the Buckeyes. The question has been put to me to show their negatives for the year. To me the two most glaring is that although the SEC is usually very strong it seems Alabama played a fairly weak schedule, unlike OSU who had to beat several top teams. Second, when Alabama had a chance to go to the playoffs by finally beating a good team they were dismantled by Auburn who I believe will end up a three or four loss team. The committee had Oklahoma at home and 31 to Iowa as more glaring. In hindsight they were probably right. BTW I know the first part of this post and last seem to conflict. The first is using logic from my heart, the last is logic from my brain (neither of which work very well btw). I might also add that Alabama failed to win on their BYE week. OSU has NEVER lost on a bye week.

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 8:48AM

Bullsitter... I would suggest that the committee was looking out for the Big Ten Conference. And frankly, the conference should be grateful. Alabama was the better choice and it's time to move on. I would have to agree that a Georgia-Alabama game would be a great outcome... Possibly not for the Network... But who really cares about the Network. Maybe that match up may raise some concern about conferences sizes and the need for each team within that conference to play each other. I suspect that discussion ended before it had a chance to take place.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

The final 4 should be interesting. May the best team win.

Win or lose by Michigan it's been very impressive run by the Big 10. Even when favored in most of the games you still have to go out and win them and they have. Likewise, as a Pac 12 fan, another sad season. However, it all means little in our lives. Most of us will wake up Tuesday morning and go to work and the winners and losers in some football games have no bearing on our salaries, our spouse's happiness, or how great our kids are. Just football. Enjoy it all! Oh ya, and happy 2018!

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 9:41AM

@keets said:
    I think the pressure is on Harbaugh at Michigan tomorrow. coupled with his inability to beat OSU, losing consecutive Bowl games won't be a good thing. also, the pressure is on some forum members if Alabama loses because garnet will be sure to see that they eat crow. these things, who is the better Team and which conference is best, have a funny way of working themselves out.

I think you guys take this all a little too seriously. everyone likes to rag on garnet and OSU, but in reality you're the same as him, the other side of the coin rooting for Alabama. that makes it hard not to root for Clemson and Oklahoma.

I can eat crow with the best of them. As far as taking it too seriously, I'm gonna take up for my team when they're being trashed with biased opinions. If we lose Monday bring it on, I'll have it coming and I would expect nothing less.

Again, I understand the Bama hate. If I wasn't a Bama fan I'd hate 'em too.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calling Mark (justacommeman), you in Pasadena for the game??

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 12:47PM

Michigan has the right coach. I hope the people that matter know this and recognize progress is being made and the program is moving in the best direction possible.

Patience is a virtue in terms of rebuilding a program. And in the Big Ten you need to look no further than Illinois. Zook was a good recruiter and had the program moving in the best direction possible... Unfortunately, it was not fast or consistent enough for those that matter. Now, what does the Illinois football program have to show for the dismissal of Zook five years later?

Some of the best days for Michigan football are ahead provided that they remain patient.

As for folks taking things here too serious, that seems to be a fair observation. Seems the fun of actually watching the games is deminished by the continuous obsession with rankings and which teams should or should not be in the so-called play-offs or in the whatever bowl. Sometimes I am convinced that most will not even remember half of the highlites from this season three years later anyway.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 10:29AM

@Brick said:
    . To me the two most glaring is that although the SEC is usually very strong it seems Alabama played a fairly weak schedule, unlike OSU who had to beat several top teams. Second, when Alabama had a chance to go to the playoffs by finally beating a good team they were dismantled by Auburn

Can Alabama's strength of schedule be a "negative" this year ? Their game against Florida State was schedule years ago when FSU was one of the best teams in the country.. Who knew that FSU would be that much worse than OU this year ? Yes, the SEC bottom feeders were not strong this year, but Bama beat all the bottom feeders, whereas tOSU did not.

Secondly, Alabama got "dismantled" by Auburn ? If you are referring to their entire linebacker core being out hurt and getting picked apart by the hottest QB in the country, then you are correct. But Bama did average 6 yards per carry on the ground. Hardly being dismantled at all. They lost 26-14 on the road in a hostile environment, and doing much better than Georgia did when Georgia lost to Auburn 40-17. Georgia got dismantled by Auburn, not Bama. Put Bama's starting linebackers in that game, and you have a much different outcome.

I'm glad Ohio State won their bowl game against USC. Hopefully that will give some comfort to their fans who felt slighted by the committee. Ohio State is a great football school, with great tradition. However, when they lose out, some can resemble their storied football coach who is willing to punch opposing players on the sideline when things aren't going his way.

• Options

@coinkat said:

As for folks taking things here too serious, that seems to be a fair observation. Seems the fun of actually watching the games is deminished by the continuous obsession with rankings and which teams should or should not be in the so-called play-offs or in the whatever bowl. .

College football is probably the most exciting season in sports. Every week counts, and stadiums of top schools are sold out better than pro football. It could easily be called our #1 past time. It is that important.

Winning means everything to many people. Vince Lombardi, right ? I love people who are passionate about their teams. I love the passion of NY Yankee fans or Canadian hockey fans. I'm with you though that I don't like it when people go overboard. It is just a game, right ?

• Options

A wise man once said "Show me a good loser... and I'll show you a LOSER."
    It's all good. Have a great 2018 everyone.

Ralph

• Options

@DrBuster said:

Returning late tonight from Mexico. I will
    Be a game time decision :D

Will you be there?? Best of luck I will be pulling for you.

Mark

• Options

@Brick said:
    A wise man once said "Show me a good loser... and I'll show you a LOSER."
    It's all good. Have a great 2018 everyone.

Same to you amigo

m

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@PM770 said:

» show previous quotes

@garnettstyle said

One year later

mark

Ohio state didn't lose their last game in 2016 before they got in. They had a great year beating top ten teams. This year bama has beaten zero top ten teams.

Both teams had a decent case to get in. this year. The biggest issue I have with the commitees choice is putting two sec teams in when they didn't deserve it. The big ten is the strongest conference top to bottom. They deserved a shot instead of getting shut out. Now we have the possibility of having an all sec championship. Remember what happened in 2011? NO ONE WATCHED.

I watched. I know others that did. Didn't seem to hurt College Football al all. If anything it helped.

As you have pointed out before and I agree with its more important to get the best four teams in ( BEFORE the bowl games) regardless if they win a conference championship. It was close this year but they got it right.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DrBuster said:

Returning late tonight from Mexico. I will
    Be a game time decision :D

Will you be there?? Best of luck I will be pulling for you.

Mark

No I'm not there for the game, too wore out from Reykjavik to try to have made the trip. Will see about championship tix here though, the Dawgs possibly having a 'home' game for it are driving the prices crazy.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@keets said:

I can eat crow with the best of them. As far as taking it too seriously, I'm gonna take up for my team when they're being trashed with biased opinions. If we lose Monday bring it on, I'll have it coming and I would expect nothing less.

Again, I understand the Bama hate. If I wasn't a Bama fan I'd hate 'em too.

Every Bowl game so far has had inferior opponents to what lies ahead for Alabama/Clemson/Georgia and Oklahoma. A loss to any of these teams is not a embarrassing thing.

mark

• Options

If the BIG was 0-7 right now espn would mention it every 7 seconds

Since the BIG is 7-0

crickets

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 3:07PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/21/week/15/year/2015/seasontype/2

Ohio State 2015 = Alabama 2017
    Stanford 2015 = Ohio State 2017
    Iowa 2015 = Wisconsin 2017

WTF was Ohio State 7th instead of 5th if Alabama is 4th instead of 6th?

Losing to NW 16-6 and losing to 7-5 Oregon is every bit as bad as the Iowa and Oklahoma losses.

Its literally the same exact scenario only worse because Ohio State finished the season with a win over a top 5 team instead of with the loss.

This is why the committee is inconsistent, dishonest and corrupt.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

I am surprised that there was no bowl game Sunday night (Dec 31). The NFL was done by 8 PM, and one of the Jan 1 games could have had a much larger audience with an 8:30 kickoff.

For what it's worth, I am taking the points on both of the big 2 games today.

Clemson and Okla, both +3.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 9:42AM

I was surprised there wasn't a bowl game yesterday as well honestly, but the NFL does like a captive audience w/o competition.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018 9:47AM

Your primary comparison between 2015 and 2017 isn't particularly accurate (OSU=Alabama). Just because you want to make a point based on record doesn't mean you can.

2015 OSU barely beat Northern Illinois 20-13, where is the equivalent Alabama struggle against an inferior out of conference opponent (NI was 8-6 for the year)? 2015 OSU was not a very good team. They barely beat a 6-7 Indiana team 34-27, up by only 7 after the 3rd quarter, and barely beat a 6-7 Minnesota team, only up 21-14 in the 4th quarter. They struggled against mediocre competition far more than 2017 Alabama and the CFP committee recognized that fact and ranked OSU accordingly.

You didn't have all these complaints about the CFP committee last year when they let in an inferior OSU team that had LOST to the B10 champion (Penn St). The committee doesn't simply go by record (like your example does) they look at the quality of the teams and 2015 OSU was simply an inferior team regardless of their overall record.

2017 OSU got crushed, absolutely and completely demolished by an unranked Iowa. All the whining in the world about the CFP doesn't make that go away.

Robb

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 9:56AM

@s4ny said:
    I am surprised that there was no bowl game Sunday night (Dec 31). The NFL was done by 8 PM, and one of the Jan 1 games could have had a much larger audience with an 8:30 kickoff.

For what it's worth, I am taking the points on both of the big 2 games today.

Clemson and Okla, both +3.

The NFL originally had a game scheduled for Sunday Night and decided against it. When the college Football playoffs were on New Years Eve no one watched them either.

From CNN six days ago

The NFL has canceled the final Sunday night football game of the season.

Sunday’s game had two disadvantages: The games all had a likelihood of being dull by the time Sunday night rolled around. And this coming Sunday is New Year’s Eve, a day when historically few Americans watch television

The last time the NFL held a Sunday night football game on New Year’s Eve was in 2007, when the Chicago Bears hosted the Green Bay Packers. It was quarterback Brett Favre’s last game with the Packers (and widely expected to be his last game ever). Still, only 13.4 million people watched that game, about a quarter fewer than the average Sunday Night Football game that season.

Since the last Sunday night football game also happens to be the final game of the season, the NFL tries to schedule a game that will definitely have playoff implications for one or both of the teams playing. (A team that already made the playoffs might sit their starters, leading to an exceptionally boring game.)

This season, there were no such games that met the NFL’s criteria on the final week’s schedule. The NFL, which hadn’t yet announced which teams would play Sunday night, would have either scheduled a game that had a chance of being a snooze or a game that already had no playoff implications at all.

Instead, there will be seven games scheduled for 1 p.m. and an unusually high nine games scheduled for 4:25 p.m. kickoffs. There won’t be an 8:30 p.m. game this year.

“We felt that both from a competitive standpoint and from a fan perspective, the most fair thing to do is to schedule all Week 17 games in either the 1 p.m. or 4:25 p.m. windows,” said Howard Katz, the NFL’s broadcasting chief, in a prepared statement.

m

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 11:25AM

@fergie23 said:
    Your primary comparison between 2015 and 2017 isn't particularly accurate (OSU=Alabama). Just because you want to make a point based on record doesn't mean you can.

2015 OSU barely beat Northern Illinois 20-13, where is the equivalent Alabama struggle against an inferior out of conference opponent (NI was 8-6 for the year)? 2015 OSU was not a very good team. They barely beat a 6-7 Indiana team 34-27, up by only 7 after the 3rd quarter, and barely beat a 6-7 Minnesota team, only up 21-14 in the 4th quarter. They struggled against mediocre competition far more than 2017 Alabama and the CFP committee recognized that fact and ranked OSU accordingly.

You didn't have all these complaints about the CFP committee last year when they let in an inferior OSU team that had LOST to the B10 champion (Penn St). The committee doesn't simply go by record (like your example does) they look at the quality of the teams and 2015 OSU was simply an inferior team regardless of their overall record.

2017 OSU got crushed, absolutely and completely demolished by an unranked Iowa. All the whining in the world about the CFP doesn't make that go away.

Robb

2015 OSU team wasn't very good? They were the most talented team in the nation. They won all of their games by at least seven points. They had a stout defense and they were better than than the 2014 team that won the national championship. They crushed two top ten teams. You knocking a mac team in northern illinois? They have done very well in recent yrs, and mac teams have beaten sec teams. Clemson played down a lot to their competition last year and they won it. Your post is way off base. Alabama's offense this year hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

• Options

Well Happy New Year y'all and Rolllllllllllllllllllllll Tide Roll.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 11:38AM

The best team in the nation played on Friday.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 12:57PM

keets you have to admit garnettstyle does take this homer thing to a new level not seen on the boards or any others. He is the guy with the we are #1 giant foam finger waving in the air no matter what

m

• Options
    edited January 1, 2018 11:52AM

@Justacommeman said:
    keets you have to admit garnettstyle does take this homer thing to a new level not seen on the boards or any others. He is the guy with the #1 giant foam finger waving in the air no matter what

m

You obviously don't read OSU boards lol.

Even a lot of non OSU fans thought that the buckeyes should be in the playoffs.

• Options

Sure OSU had a case but they are far from the best team in the country. Top 5? Probably

Happy New Year garnettstyle. I sincerely I mean it

mark

• Options

As a Buckeye fan and I consider myself a loyal big time fan, after reading garnetts posts I feel like a traitor.

Ralph

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Sure OSU had a case but they are far from the best team in the country. Top 5? Probably

mark

That's your opinion. They proved Friday night that they are one of the best and could have won it all. But we will never know.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

That's your opinion. They proved Friday night that they are one of the best and could have won it all. But we will never know.

It is my opinion. Same as the commitee, the writers and the coaches. I didn't see the game but it was hard not to notice they only had 277 total yards on a fast track. Their D obviously played well

m

• Options

It would be more of an upset than 2014 if OSU won it all. In 14 they were underdogs in every game from BIG Championship to game against Oregon. They would be much bigger dogs this year. One thing though, they would have tremendous motivation. First revenge against Clemson and then Oklahoma in the next game. Of all teams not in the playoffs I do feel OSU is the only one that would have a punchers chance to win it all.

Ralph

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

It is my opinion. Same as the commitee, the writers and the coaches. I didn't see the game but it was hard not to notice they only had 277 total yards on a fast track. Their D obviously played well

m

If an sec team beat a conference champion by 17 points, y'all would be saying they're the best thing since sliced bread.

• Options

OSU played to simply run out the clock almost from the start of the second half. 1st down gain 4-5 yards, 2nd down gain 3-4 yards, 3rd down get stopped short, punt. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Let defense win it. I was a bit upset with second half play calling, but not with the result. That would not have been successful against Clemson or Oklahoma.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    It would be more of an upset than 2014 if OSU won it all. In 14 they were underdogs in every game from BIG Championship to game against Oregon. They would be much bigger dogs this year. One thing though, they would have tremendous motivation. First revenge against Clemson and then Oklahoma in the next game. Of all teams not in the playoffs I do feel OSU is the only one that would have a punchers chance to win it all.

Yep.

m

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    The best team in the nation played on Friday.

Yep, Wake Forest put it on A&M, btw, the BIG BOYS play on January 1, always have.