College Football 2017

Comments

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

ROLL TIDE

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting Alabama favored by 3 over Clemson and Georgia favored by 1.5 over Oklahoma

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hows that Mark?

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2017 9:47PM

@Blackie said:
    Hows that Mark?

I really haven't looked at the lines since the games were first announced. I thought both games would be pick ems by now. Looks like the money is coming in on Georgia and Oklahoma.

Personally I like Alabama and Georgia but would have a hard time giving points.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

To no surprise Rosen did not play last night, as Kansas state beat UCLA.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do I know? Not much I guess. I would have Clemson at least a 3 point favorite and I would gladly give those points.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

The funny thing is Rosen might come back next year if the Browns threaten to draft him

m

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Stuck on a plane from NYC to Cali last night so turned on the Foster Farms Bowl on the satellite tv. It actually held my attention better than the bad movie I watched for a while. Two mediocre teams (Purdue v. U of Arizona) but it was fun. Purdue won in the last couple minutes and AZ couldn't respond. The AZ quarterback is pretty good. Could make some noise next year. It appeared only family and friends were in attendance. Lol.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

The funny thing is Rosen might come back next year if the Browns threaten to draft him

m

For two reasons I don't see it happening: 1) $ and 2) Chip Kelly. I love Rosen but I don't see him as a Chip Kelly qb.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have this great sense of what will happen in some of these games Georgia -Oklahoma could go either way but from where I sit Georgia has greater incentive. As for USC-OSU, I see this being the year the Buckeyes win. Big Ten should win more than they loose.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I haven't seen one bowl game to date. The only slate I will see will be on Jan 1. All of them

mark

• Options

Tomorrow night will be my first.

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Tomorrow night will be my first.

We are on vacation so I will miss it. Good luck!!!

We get back on Dec 31.

mark

• Options

I just haven't channel surfed into a game I want to see. Mostly just watch classic movies.

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 29, 2017 5:01AM

Watched the holiday bowl last night. Wasn't much of a game. The Spartans are a young team, and should be pretty good next year. But I missed the TCU Stanford game. By the looks of the score, it looks like it was a good game?

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

Denzel Ward not playing tonight for OSU. No surprise here either. A healthy scratch.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

Denzel Ward not playing tonight for OSU. No surprise here either. A healthy scratch.

m

It is bothersome, to me, that key players are sitting out these games. It does not appear that OSU needs him tonight. Lol.

Pathetic season for the Pac 12.

• Options

Lot of game to go. I don't blame players on schedule to receive millions to sit out the bowl games. As a fan I want to see the best players on the field but I don't expect them to take a chance on losing millions because I want to see them play todays game for nothing.

Ralph

• Options

"We're #5, we're #5. Go Bucks :)

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 29, 2017 11:06PM

@Brick said:
    "We're #5, we're #5. Go Bucks :)

Congrats Brick. I don't blame first round picks for sitting out the non playoff games either. Jake Butt of Michigan was a projected late first round pick/ second round last year. His injury in the Orange Bowl ( torn ACL) cost him millions while his team mate Jabrill Peppers sat out and repped millions. However, Peppers did get drafted by the Browns. A little karma

mark

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 3:45AM

I don't blame top players for sitting out either. But good lord, they should NOT be allowed to make the trip to the bowl games. Loyalty SHOULD be awarded.

As for USC, they were undefeated at home. Take their bowl away from Pasadena and they are a different animal. Go BIG 10.

USC leads OSU all time 13-10-1, but most of those games were played at USC's home field.

• Options

How bout them Northwestern Wildcats. They started out the season 2-3, and ended up with 8 straight wins...10-3.

• Options

USC has played at their home games at LA Memorial Coliseum since it was constructed. I would not use playing at the Rosebowl as an excuse for OSU being on the loosing side of the 24 games that have been played. Instead, look at the series, the team match ups the years in which they have played and how both teams fared during the course of the season. Going through that type of review, one can conclude that it was doubtful that any team in college football in the 1970's could have beat USC the years they beat OSU in the Rosebowl. There is simply no shame in trailing in an overall series given the quality of both these football programs... especially when the games won by both teams are as close as this (10-13-1).

When these teams play, this is why we watch...

• Options

As for Northwestern, the Wildcats have added a level of excitement to college football that seems to define unpredictable... And I admire and respect what they are able to accomplish... It's not always about winning but playing as if winning is always possible.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 comments from recent bowls:

1. Glad to see JT go out a winner, he seems like a pretty good guy.

2. They need to do away with the bowl game tie-ins.

3. Put Missouri and A&M back in the Big12 please.

4. I love ESPN, I hate ESPN, I love ESPN, I hate ESPN.............

5. Bama vs Georgia.................ohhhhhhhh my.

• Options

As a kid, I looked forward to the Mizzu-Nebraska game and now they don't even play. The Kansas- Mizzu game was a big regional game and a great rivalry that was destroyed by all this conference reshuffling crap. It all seems to be bigger is better and TV revenue at the expense of Tradition...

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

USC got beat pretty bad. Does their conference have a bowl win yet ?

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Check that. I see USC beat themselves. They outgained tOSU 400 yards to 270, but had 4 costly turnovers which would have kept the game much closer.

• Options

Darnold showed he has tremendous talent when he has time in the pocket. Several throws were right on the money, hitting receivers in stride. He was not so good under pressure, scurrying around, or flat on his back. Let's say the Browns pick him #1. What's wrong with this picture?

Ralph

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2017 7:46AM

@Exodus said:

Not sure but the SEC IS 0-3.
    A&M, Kentucky, Missouri lost and Louisville will probably beat Miss State today.
    Except for 3 teams the SEC is average at best.

I'd like to kick Missouri out and let Mercer in. Auburn just barely beat Mercer by 5. We had no mercy on Mercer, ain't that right Garnett.

• Options

@Exodus said:

Utah

m

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

**Let's say the Browns pick him #1. **

didn't Darnold say he was considering staying out of the draft to avoid being picked by Cleveland?? I hope that the Browns honor that desire and don't choose him or an other QB early in the draft. Cleveland as an organization has proven two things to me:
    1). they aren't very good at evaluating QB's.
    2). with a few exceptions, a QB isn't the key to turning a franchise around.

Darnold seems like a pretty good player but I think he would really improve his skill, his draft value and whoever he ends up playing for by staying at USC for his final two years. and Cleveland, they could build their overall defense or offensive line with the top pick(s) and help the Team long term way more than by taking a chance on a guy like Darnold.

I thought the first three quarters were pretty good but overall USC was beaten at the line. OSU seemed to be able to get a good push on offense and on defense they were too quick, especially in some of the obvious passing situations. USC seemed to depend on isolation for any gains and Darnold made some nice passes, but he also made mistakes that showed his sophomore age. on defense the entire USC scheme seemed built on that one LB with the name I can't spell or pronounce. it seemed that every big defensive play involved him in some way.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 11:50AM

@coinkat said:
    USC has played at their home games at LA Memorial Coliseum since it was constructed. I would not use playing at the Rosebowl as an excuse for OSU being on the loosing side of the 24 games that have been played. Instead, look at the series, the team match ups the years in which they have played and how both teams fared during the course of the season. Going through that type of review, one can conclude that it was doubtful that any team in college football in the 1970's could have beat USC the years they beat OSU in the Rosebowl. There is simply no shame in trailing in an overall series given the quality of both these football programs... especially when the games won by both teams are as close as this (10-13-1).

Totally disagree. Playing against teams that have to travel 2200 miles is a Huge advantage. That's the biggest reason why USC rarely loses a rose bowl game.

USC is 6-8 in bowl games outside the state of California.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 12:27PM

@keets said:
    **Let's say the Browns pick him #1. **

didn't Darnold say he was considering staying out of the draft to avoid being picked by Cleveland?? I hope that the Browns honor that desire and don't choose him or an other QB early in the draft. Cleveland as an organization has proven two things to me:
    1). they aren't very good at evaluating QB's.
    2). with a few exceptions, a QB isn't the key to turning a franchise around.

Darnold seems like a pretty good player but I think he would really improve his skill, his draft value and whoever he ends up playing for by staying at USC for his final two years. and Cleveland, they could build their overall defense or offensive line with the top pick(s) and help the Team long term way more than by taking a chance on a guy like Darnold.

I thought the first three quarters were pretty good but overall USC was beaten at the line. OSU seemed to be able to get a good push on offense and on defense they were too quick, especially in some of the obvious passing situations. USC seemed to depend on isolation for any gains and Darnold made some nice passes, but he also made mistakes that showed his sophomore age. on defense the entire USC scheme seemed built on that one LB with the name I can't spell or pronounce. it seemed that every big defensive play involved him in some way.

I know Rosen of UCLA said that. Darnold is a huge question mark by NFL standards. The Pro's HATE his mechanics but love what's between his ears and his demeanor. Rosen
    almost the opposite evaluation. I'd be shocked if Darnold was picked before Allen or Rosen.

m

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@coinkat said:

Totally disagree. Playing against teams that have to travel 2200 miles is a Huge advantage. That's the biggest reason why USC rarely loses a rose bowl game.

When USC travels outside of California it means they aren't playing in the Rose Bowl and don't have a great team and their Bowl Record reflects it. When they play in the Rose Bowl they logically are very good and have a good record.

This year OSU would have beaten USC in Pasedena or on the moon. In past years USC would have beaten Michigan, OSU or whomever wherever. The travel thing is a crutch. Look no further then the last two years in the Oklahoma/ OSU series. Both crushed the other as the visitor. The cream almost always rises to the top and the better team wins....wherever.

mark

• Options

OSU's biggest margin of victory (33-0) over USC in 1941 was played at the Coliseum. Travel in 1941 from Columbus to Los Angeles was slightly more of a challenge back in the Day. USC defeated OSU in Columbus in 1990 35-26. Both OSU and USC traditionally play well on the road. Of course they lose some games, but that goes with the territory.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@coinkat said:

When USC travels outside of California it means they aren't playing in the Rose Bowl and don't have a great team and their Bowl Record reflects it. When they play in the Rose Bowl they logically are very good and have a good record.

This year OSU would have beaten USC in Pasedena or on the moon. In past years USC would have beaten Michigan, OSU or whomever wherever. The travel thing is a crutch. Look no further then the last two years in the Oklahoma/ OSU series. Both crushed the other as the visitor. The cream almost always rises to the top and the better team wins....wherever.

mark

Totally disagree. . I guarantee if the OSU USC game was at the rose bowl, OSU would not have been favored by seven, and the game probably would've been a lot closer.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 3:12PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

@coinkat said:

mark

Totally disagree. . I guarantee if the OSU USC game was at the rose bowl, OSU would not have been favored by seven, and the game probably would've been a lot closer.

No way Jose.

FYI OSU was favored by 9.5

Happy New Year just the same.

m

• Options

• Options

I know you are getting desperate when you are sourcing alt left publications to spoof Alabama. It's good to see you expanding your horizons though. The Onion is indeed one of the best satirical formats. I hope your alt right Breitbart doesn't find out or they might have you expelled. I would lay low

mark

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 5:41PM

Congrats to Penn State! The Big Ten could easily run the table. Michigan and Wisconsin are both a TD favorite even in Florida where they have this thing called the sun. Actually Wisconsin is a TD favorite in Miami where they play......Miami.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

I know you are getting desperate when you are sourcing alt left publications to spoof Alabama. It's good to see you expanding your horizons though. The Onion is indeed one of the best satirical formats. I hope your alt right Breitbart doesn't find out or they might have you expelled. I would lay low

mark

I think you need to take a chill pill. No sense of humor?

• Options

The BIG TEN are making the committee look bad. Leaving that conference out for two sec teams was a huge mistake.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 6:12PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I think you need to take a chill pill. No sense of humor?

I indeed thought your post was funny. If anyone else but you posted anything from a left leaning publication you would cite it as "Fake News". You of all people have to appreciate the irony.

mark

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 6:04PM

@garnettstyle
    @garnettstyle said:
    The BIG TEN are making the committee look bad. Leaving that conference out for two sec teams was a huge mistake.

No mistake. They got the four best teams. The Big Ten might have the next best three teams.

Regardless it's great to see the Big Ten winning these secondary Bowl games for a change.
    Especially when they were favored in 7 out of 8 Bowl games they are participating in. Rare indeed. Very enjoyable. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for this to happen

m

• Options
    edited December 30, 2017 6:37PM

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle
    @garnettstyle said:

No mistake. They got the four best teams. The Big Ten might have the next best three teams.

Regardless it's great to see the Big Ten winning these secondary Bowl games for a change.
    Especially when they were favored in 7 out of 8 Bowl games they are participating in. Rare indeed. Very enjoyable. I've been waiting for what seems like forever for this to happen

m

They didn't get the four best teams. They made a huge mistake. No way alabama deserved to get in the way they played in November. And losing their last game against their rival and getting rewarded. The big ten has proven all year that they are a better conference than the sec and ohio state would beat their conference champion...a team that got a undeserved rematch against auburn. Ohio state with three wins over top ten teams and the conference currently at 6-0 are indeed making the committee look bad.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harbaugh is cornered in the Outback Bowl. All the Big Ten wins will make him look extra dumb if he gets beat by the lowly Gamecocks.

I'll have the beer ready for that one!

• Options

7-0 what an amazing accomplishment. Wisconsin finishes at 13-1 with a road win against Miami.

Screw the committee and their southern playoffs.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 12:22AM

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle
    @garnettstyle said:

m

They didn't get the four best teams. They made a huge mistake. No way alabama deserved to get in the way they played in November. And losing their last game against their rival and getting rewarded. The big ten has proven all year that they are a better conference than the sec and ohio state would beat their conference champion...a team that got a undeserved rematch against auburn. Ohio state with three wins over top ten teams and the conference currently at 6-0 are indeed making the committee look bad.

Nah. The committee and the Polls all got it right. When you lose by 31 to an unranked team and to a team in the playoffs at home by 15 you get what you deserve. You don't have a leg to stand on.

When the Big Ten loses most of their Bowl games you cry foul ( like last year and the year before and so on and so on). When they win bowl games as it this year you cite it as a point of honor. Either way you cover yourself. Last year you stated that the Bowl games didn't matter ( because the B1G was 3-7 ) and the Big Team was still the best conference because they were rated that way in the regular season. So now it matters? Your opinion is that of a homer and that's your right and your entitled to your opinion. It's ok but it doesn't take away from the four teams that are in the semi finals. It's winner take all and it will be decided on the grid iron just like it was in 2015 when Ohio State snuck into the 4th spot and won it all much to TCU''s dismay. Ohio State proved it on the playing field in 2014 just like someone else will this year.

mark

• Options
    edited December 31, 2017 12:24AM

@Coinstartled said:
    Harbaugh is cornered in the Outback Bowl. All the Big Ten wins will make him look extra dumb if he gets beat by the lowly Gamecocks.

I'll have the beer ready for that one!

When your in Todo Santos one doesn't really care about a guy who makes 7 million plus a year. He will be fine whether he wins or loses and so will I. Personally I would like to win but my life doesn't improve with a win or get worse with a loss

I'll hoist a beer to you either way at sunset. Happy New Year Glicker from a perfectly content U of M alum

mark