Home U.S. Coin Forum

A new modern key coin in two weeks, secondary market price to double?

Comments

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, If I have learned anything in the last 20 years of this hobby, demand can be created under the right circumstances...

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raw one sold for $619 on Feebay.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

@Rarity said:
    Thanks Raufus for the Jan 8th data.

Most welcome.

@CA5MAN said:
    The mint is processing returns but also processing replacements.

It's unknown whether these replacements are coins already rejected or returned.

I'm not sure but I don't think that they replace items that are not longer for sale.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:

@Rarity said:

Most welcome.

I thought I posted the data....what did I miss?? ;)

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@Raufus said:

@Rarity said:

Most welcome.

I thought I posted the data....what did I miss?? ;)

A thank you. :)

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2017 5:05AM

The 2017 is SO bad, can't imagine that we won't have another <5200 $5...

added: That said, I'm very glad that they didn't put a young boy on the reverse!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CA5MAN said:

@Raufus said:

@CA5MAN said:

I'm not sure but I don't think that they replace items that are not longer for sale.

I'm not sure either. One return for replacement generated an email, thanks for your order, a new order number, prices zeroed, with shipping carrier info, will know soon enough. I don't recall that happening with a straight up return.

You're replacement might be some else's return.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

added: That said, I'm very glad that they didn't put a young boy on the reverse!

Really? Attempt at humor?

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2017 8:08AM

The 2017 is SO bad, can't imagine that we won't have another <5200 $5...

To each his own. Personally I like the design and may grab a few. This will be the only gold commem. issued in 2017.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

@CA5MAN said:

@Raufus said:

@CA5MAN said:

I'm not sure either. One return for replacement generated an email, thanks for your order, a new order number, prices zeroed, with shipping carrier info, will know soon enough. I don't recall that happening with a straight up return.

Please let us know. I think when a replacement is requested for an item that is off sale a refund is issued. Very interested to know what happens.

Thanks!!

• Tomorrow's weekly mint sales report will be interesting.

To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
    edited January 16, 2017 5:12PM

@NeoclassicalAnalyst said:
    Tomorrow's weekly mint sales report will be interesting.

Agree. I'm curious to see if the latest numbers for the Uncirculated National Parks gold coin dropped and by how much. I'm not optimistic that it'll dethrone the Jackie Robinson as the key date in the modern gold commemoratives. For those that don't already know it the mint updates their production numbers every Tuesday at 5:00 PM ET and they are shown on their web site usmint.gov..

I believe it will take another week for a more accurate reading.

edited April 14, 2017 10:21PM

I was wrong!

edited January 16, 2017 8:43PM

Pretty nice very short term return for raw gold modern commemorative coins.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281944284653?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&amp;ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I was wrong numbers are out:

@thebigeng said:
    I was wrong numbers are out:

Only six higher than the Jackie Robinson. This time next week the NP commemorative may be the new key date in the modern gold commemorative series.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoo hoo! I have a sealed one... should I keep it sealed? It does not qualify for first strike.

edited January 17, 2017 1:50PM

Nail biter. 6. Wow. Thought would drop by more. However, even though return period closing takes time to process returns so could certainly be two more weeks till processed and figured in numbers.

@Raufus said:
    Nail biter. 6. Wow. Thought would drop by more. However, even though return period closing takes time to process returns so could certainly be two more weeks till processed and figured in numbers.

6?

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Anyone receive a replacement coin yet?

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭✭

@NeoclassicalAnalyst said:
    Very good point. The mint could pull 2015 spouse coins at any moment now. For example, The sale number of lady bird Johnson unc. Gold is only about 1720. Also the spouse key will be known for sure soon. But the $5 key will likely change every few years.
    Anyway, I see at least 100 return next week. After that price may spike but soon will level off. Bottom line, next couple of weeks may be a good time window to sell.

Where did you get your info from? Nowhere near 100 returns last 2 weeks.

edited January 17, 2017 2:36PM

I feel like I'm watching a horse race but in slow motion. If it beats out the Jackie it will be by Teddy's nose.

@Goldbully said:

@Raufus said:

6?

Perry Hall said only 6 higher than Jackie now.

@Goldbully said:

@Raufus said:

6?

Current production number for the NP is 5180 while the production number for the JR is 5174 so the difference is 6.

edited January 17, 2017 2:44PM

Or maybe you could compare Jackie to the Lamb Fries record, in reverse.

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2017 3:59PM

Whispers have it that the Mint typically experiences between a 10 - 20% return rate in a normal scenario. This, however is by far normal. Given that, (if it reigns true even to the point of 1.25% returns,) the NP will likely be the key.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see it now! Jackie remains key date by only two coins!!

----- kj
  • SpkrmakrSpkrmakr Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

@CA5MAN said:

@Coinsponge said:
    I feel like I'm watching a horse race but in slow motion. If it beats out the Jackie it will be by Teddy's nose.

This was like a horse race where your horse is winning by a mile, then some spectator comes in and shoots your horse in the foot, right before the finish line.

He may still win if he can learn to run with 3 legs but the race itself is tainted and the finish line is now further away

What a great and accurate narrative! Spectator is "dead on!" What a shame! Good still, but could have been much better. I can't help but wonder if some historical writing will someday show the damage caused by "blab, blab, blab, blab, blab?" Nothing added, nothing gained!

Spkrmakr
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2017 4:17PM

We won't really know until the audit numbers are released. If you're gonna flip and next week the total is below Jackie, you'd better sell.

Wow...the clad half unc dropped by 300.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

NPS gold unc 5180
    Jackie r unc 5174

edited January 17, 2017 4:43PM

@jwitten said:
    Whoo hoo! I have a sealed one... should I keep it sealed? It does not qualify for first strike.

Keeping a sealed box makes no sense if it does not quality for FS. Open it & examine it before you decide. With the raw ones closing in on $600 .. it's a tough decision.

Below is the PCGS link for the F/S deadlines.

http://www.pcgs.com/firststrike

@CA5MAN said:

@Coinsponge said:

This was like a horse race where your horse is winning by a mile, then some spectator comes in and shoots your horse in the foot, right before the finish line.

He may still win if he can learn to run with 3 legs but the race itself is tainted and the finish line is now further away.

We are in a day where sales numbers are widely known on a weekly basis. It is going to be rare when a coin of unlimited sales beats any existing coin and if they do, it will most likely not be by much because the attraction of a key coin is always on the radar of the speculator. The exception may only be when the Mint surprises everyone with a short supply.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@jwitten said:

Keeping a sealed box makes no sense if it does not quality for FS. Open it & examine it before you decide. With the raw ones closing in on $600 .. it's a tough decision.

But would a buyer rather have a raw opened or sealed box? Would they think the open one would not grade 70, so is being sold raw? With mine, there is a chance it is a 70 still.

@jwitten said:

@OPA said:

@jwitten said:

But would a buyer rather have a raw opened or sealed box? Would they think the open one would not grade 70, so is being sold raw? With mine, there is a chance it is a 70 still.

As a buyer I would prefer an open box so I can see what I'm getting. A sealed box could just as easily have a problem coin as an MS70 coin.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2017 9:12AM

The 1997 Jackie was a nail-biter also, but for different reasons. When the 5174 sales total was revealed, the Mint still had about 7000 of them on hand. Someone in Congress wanted to re-open sales of the coin, and the outcome was in doubt for several weeks. Ultimately the proposal was not successful and the 7000 remaining coins were presumably melted.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Never knew that!!

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Boys Town Gold $5 will be the only $5 gold commem of 2017. That could really hurt its chances of being a key.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is a "key" determined by mintage alone?

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    The Boys Town Gold $5 will be the only $5 gold commem of 2017. That could really hurt its chances of being a key.

Then again, it's difficult to come up with a less popular topic, don't you think? The Generals coin certainly was right up there for undesirability, but this one may top it. And no, I have nothing against Boys Town, but really? Who got this one through?

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

@dbldie55 said:
    Is a "key" determined by mintage alone?

No. It is determined by the survival rate. In the case of modern commemorative coins the survival rate is close to 100% so the production numbers are a good criteria to use to determine if a coin is a key date or not.

• Teamplayer1Teamplayer1 Posts: 48
    edited January 18, 2017 7:50PM

I returned 12 coins today. This should assure lowest mintage key date to series. Why so late? I was away when the coins came in and just picked them up.

@Teamplayer1 said:
    I returned 12 coins today. This should assure lowest pop key date to series. Why so late? I was away when the coins came in and just picked them up.

I thought there was a 7 day return policy. Did you make the deadline?

• Yes, I made the deadline. Called the mint to confirm. Sent them FedX.

@PerryHall said:

@Teamplayer1 said:
    I returned 12 coins today. This should assure lowest pop key date to series. Why so late? I was away when the coins came in and just picked them up.

U da MON!!!!

@PerryHall said:

@Teamplayer1 said:

There is: "If for any reason within 7 days of receiving your product you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return the entire product for refund. Shipping charges will not be refunded for all returns."

Since he had to sign for that shipment, the receiving date is that date.

However: "To return your product, you may visit your Order History and initiate a return online or Contact Customer." Service.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file