Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A new modern key coin in two weeks, secondary market price to double?

16CB 2016 NATIONAL PARK SERVICE GOLD UNC 3,984
Mint Sale will end on 12/29 12pm et.

To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman

Comments

• Options

When I reported the imminent sold out of Eleanor R gold spouse proof coins a couple of years ago, many people here said the same thing. However, the coin's price has tripled in just two years.

To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a link to the sales report page?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
  • Options

Lowest Mintage Modern Commemorative Gold Coins

2016 nps gold uncirculated 3,984, two weeks to go

1997-W Jackie Robinson $5 Gold Uncirculated 5,174. Ms 70 sold for about $2000 recently
    2013-w five stars generals Uncirculated around 5,665
    2001-W Capitol Visitor Center $5 Gold Uncirculated 6,761
    2000-W Library of Congress $10 Bimetallic Uncirculated 7,261
    2011-W Army $5 Gold Uncirculated 8,062*
    2011-W Medal of Honor $5 Gold Uncirculated 8,251*
    1996-W Smithsonian $5 Gold Uncirculated 9,068
    1996-W Olympic Flag Bearer $5 Gold Uncirculated 9,174
    1996-W Olympic Cauldron $5 Gold Uncirculated 9,210
    2003-W First Flight $10 Gold Uncirculated 10,009
    1995-W Olympic Stadium $5 Gold Uncirculated 10,579
    2002-W Salt Lake City Olympic $5 Gold Uncirculated 10,585
    *last reported sales

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a huge downside risk at $388.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a huge collector market. Recently purchased a Smithsonian pf69dcam for 350.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit surprised that the Mark Twain MS commemorative has sold about 1,500 more than the National Park Service. I'd have guessed that the sales would be closer.

Mark

• Options

@Mark said:
    I'm a bit surprised that the Mark Twain MS commemorative has sold about 1,500 more than the National Park Service. I'd have guessed that the sales would be closer.

Mark Twain program does not offer the three coin proof set, which may explain the disparity.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

... and probably about 90% of the buyers were flippers.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeoclassicalAnalyst said:
    When I reported the imminent sold out of Eleanor R gold spouse proof coins a couple of years ago, many people here said the same thing. However, the coin's price has tripled in just two years.

Once every couple of years is about par for the gold modern comms.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

They probably already sold 1000 more coins than there are true collectors for the Gold commem. And wasn't that 97 J. Robinson commem a 5K coin just a couple years ago???

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

This painfully reminds me of one of my dumbest numismatic moves ever...

I shipped back 3 Eleanor Unc the day before they cut off sales. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Order Summary

Order Placed: 02/28/15
    Order Status: RETURNED
    Order Number: USM029
    Shipping To:
    Method: UPS Ground Sig Adult
    Eleanor Roosevelt 2014 First S
    $795.00 Qty 3 Total: $2,385.00
    Billing Address
    Payment Methods
    Items (0) Subtotal:2,385.00
    Shipping & Handling:4.95
    Order Total:2,389.95
    Return to Order History Continue Shopping
    Return Items from this Order

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

Sold about 300 between the 12/4 and 12/11 reports

• Options

@Manorcourtman said:
    They probably already sold 1000 more coins than there are true collectors for the Gold commem. And wasn't that 97 J. Robinson commem a 5K coin just a couple years ago???

About $4K in 70, about half that now.

• Options

12/18: Sales 4113 up from 3984 week prior. Jackie Unc 5174.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck in trying to buy a PCGS MS70 F/S...Very Limited supply

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

True. They were $450 all over the place after issue. I, of course, didn't buy any. Wonder if there will be a sales surge before the 29th.

• Options

Concerning the OP's assertion that the NP $5 gold will become valuable, wouldn't everyone who wanted one at this point have one?

• Options

I assume that the thought is that it will fly under the radar and once the key and the articles about it in the numis. literature, etc it will increase. Just like Jackie Unc, Eleanor spouse Unc, etc.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Concerning the OP's assertion that the NP $5 gold will become valuable, wouldn't everyone who wanted one at this point have one?

Not everyone.

I couldn't decide -- Proof or Uncirculated? So my purchase sat on the back burner.

The Good News: Tomorrow I expect the price will decrease to $376 (down from the release price of $400).

And I might wait another week... maybe the price will drop to $364 before these go off-sale Dec 29th: https://catalog.usmint.gov/

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2016 9:40PM

@Raufus said:

I shipped back 3 Eleanor Unc the day before they cut off sales. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Order Summary

Shipping To:
    Billing Address
    Payment Methods

I have PCGS slabs for over 50 fractional gold buffalo coins from 2008 that I saved. I had purchased about $200,000 in fractional buffs, 1/10-1/2 oz and about a dozen sets in proof and unc and they were all PCGS First Strikes. Sales were not that great so I cracked everything I had left out and sent them back to the mint when I figured I'd be under water (returns were easier back then). Well, needless to say, if I had held onto those coins for 4 more months when the mint said it was a 1 year deal, I would have easily cleared $80,000 profit from the coins I cracked out. It would be nice to have purchased a Ferrari back then but live and learn I suppose.

I'd ship the tops back to PCGS but they are a reminder for me to stick with it and be in a position to do it. That and I paid for them

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

The question I have for you jessewvu is what did you learn from that experience?

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2016 8:38AM

@Raufus said:
    True. They were $450 all over the place after issue. I, of course, didn't buy any. Wonder if there will be a sales surge before the 29th.

My eyes must have deceived me at that time. I did not see any PCGS MS70 F/S available at your quoted price. Yes, numerous MS69's though. I doubt very much that there will be a surge in sales for MS70 F/S coins prior to 12/29...There aren't enough PCGS graded to start a "surge." (per pop report)

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Aw, these NPS coins are all dogs. I urge all of you to crack them out and return them to the Mint while you still can. Your descendants will laugh at you for making such rash purchases, and besides, Trump's team plans to log, dam, and strip mine our National Parks anyway, so what will there to remember?

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

@OPA said:

@Raufus said:

My eyes must have deceived me at that time. I did not see any PCGS MS70 F/S available at your quoted price. Yes, numerous MS69's though. I doubt very much that there will be a surge in sales for MS70 F/S coins prior to 12/29...There aren't enough PCGS graded to start a "surge." (per pop report)

Here they were on Ebay for $498. Shortly after release they were in the $450 range.

ebay.com/itm/2016-W-US-Gold-5-National-Park-Service-Commemorative-BU-PCGS-MS70-First-Strike-/371632564532

• Options
    edited December 21, 2016 7:41PM

@jessewvu said:

@Raufus said:

Order Summary

Shipping To:
    Billing Address
    Payment Methods

I have PCGS slabs for over 50 fractional gold buffalo coins from 2008 that I saved. I had purchased about $200,000 in fractional buffs, 1/10-1/2 oz and about a dozen sets in proof and unc and they were all PCGS First Strikes. Sales were not that great so I cracked everything I had left out and sent them back to the mint when I figured I'd be under water (returns were easier back then). Well, needless to say, if I had held onto those coins for 4 more months when the mint said it was a 1 year deal, I would have easily cleared $80,000 profit from the coins I cracked out. It would be nice to have purchased a Ferrari back then but live and learn I suppose.

I'd ship the tops back to PCGS but they are a reminder for me to stick with it and be in a position to do it. That and I paid for them

So painful re: the $200,K in buffs!!!!

The below is from July 2008 from First Coin Source...

2008w Buffalos are here!!! I can now solidify and confirm the 69 pricing and PCGS 70 pricing (NGC 70 pricing available upon request). Here are the pricing for the sets and singles:

New 2008-W Buffalos…

2008-W 4 Piece Set Proof Buffalo PCGS PR69 DCAM First Strike – $2275
    2008-W $50 Proof Buffalo PCGS PR69 DCAM First Strike – $1225
    2008-W $25 Proof Buffalo PCGS PR69 DCAM First Strike - $640
    2008-W $10 Proof Buffalo PCGS PR69 DCAM First Strike - $340
    2008-W $5 Proof Buffalo PCGS PR69 DCAM First Strike - $175

2008-W 4 Piece Set Proof Buffalo PCGS PR70 DCAM First Strike – $3450
    2008-W $50 Proof Buffalo PCGS PR70 DCAM First Strike – $1875
    2008-W $25 Proof Buffalo PCGS PR70 DCAM First Strike - $950
    2008-W $10 Proof Buffalo PCGS PR70 DCAM First Strike - $550
    2008-W $5 Proof Buffalo PCGS PR70 DCAM First Strike - $325

2008-W 4 Piece Set Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS69 First Strike - $1995
    2008-W $50 Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS69 First Strike - $1075
    2008-W $25 Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS69 First Strike - $550
    2008-W $10 Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS69 First Strike - $299
    2008-W $5 Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS69 First Strike - $150

2008-W 4 Piece Set Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS70 First Strike - $3050
    2008-W $50 Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS70 First Strike - $1700
    2008-W $25 Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS70 First Strike - $875
    2008-W $10 Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS70 First Strike - $475
    2008-W $5 Burnished Uncirculated Buffalo PCGS MS70 First Strike - $295

I remember telling Rachel no thanks, I'm buying mostly graded plats. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that the $50s in 70FS now bring around $6500+.

Shortly before the buffs went off sale, based primarily on comments on this forum, I did thankfully buy about $40K in 2008 W Gold Buffs from the Mint. I got a lot of 70s but not FS of course. Unfortunately I sold about half early. I still made a lot but not nearly as much as if I'd have held them. I sold some 2008 AGE Unc sets far too cheap as well. Fortunately, I did keep about half of the buffs. Possibly my best numismatic move ever.

I still have one 4 coin proof and one 4 coin unc set in the sealed mint shipping boxes after 8 years. Can't be too many of them around.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.... we all have those stories no doubt...

Of course, I think that the most that I've seen forum members score on moderns was with the 2008 ASE w/07 Rev as some members had tons of them and sold for a massive profit given the low cost from the Mint. I mostly missed that party.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said:

The unc. 1997 Jackie Robinson gold is worth about 20% of what it was bringing a few years ago. Two PCGS MS69's recently sold on eBay for $970 and $731 in true auctions.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    edited December 22, 2016 4:43AM

@Overdate said:

@Manorcourtman said:

The unc. 1997 Jackie Robinson gold is worth about 20% of what it was bringing a few years ago. Two PCGS MS69's recently sold on eBay for $970 and $731 in true auctions.

It's certainly dropped a lot. ATS 70s were bringing around $4000-$4500 a few years back as I recall. They've dropped abut 50-60% since I think. Have not followed 69s. If current prices are 80% down than they were around same level as 70s?

They've dropped more than CVS and LOC . I've not understood this. Still the key .

Still nice buy if from the Mint. I bought mine graded. Sure have gotten killed - though not definitively lost till u sell .

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I long for the good old days of 2004-08, where you could seemingly buy anything from the mint and rapidly double your money to spend on "real coins."
    Come to think of it, even the reverse proof president dollars a few years back were found money.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@Raufus said:

@OPA said:

@Raufus said:

Here they were on Ebay for $498. Shortly after release they were in the $450 range.

ebay.com/itm/2016-W-US-Gold-5-National-Park-Service-Commemorative-BU-PCGS-MS70-First-Strike-/371632564532

Darn...I missed that one...bummer

• Options

@Raufus said:
    ATS 70s were bringing around $4000-$4500 a few years back as I recall. They've dropped abut 50-60% since I think. Have not followed 69s. If current prices are 80% down than they were around same level as 70s?

At the height of the market, some dealers were paying $4K for raw or MS69 uncirculated Jackie Robinson gold commems. Not sure what the 70's were going for.

• Options

Wow. Didn't know that. Wish I'd have sold then!

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

One reason Jackie Robinson became so expensive (I'll guess) is the popularity of baseball with collectors. Not just a coin for coin collectors.

• Options

@spotthedog said:
    One reason Jackie Robinson became so expensive (I'll guess) is the popularity of baseball with collectors. Not just a coin for coin collectors.

I think it was mainly collectors that drove the price up. For a long while the unc. Jackie was the lowest mintage modern commem. Baseball fans could (and still can) obtain the legacy set for far less money - the set includes a proof Jackie Robinson gold coin, along with a special issue baseball card, in an attractive wooden box.

• Options

Have not done a serious study of it, but it appears that Jackie was the "last man standing" among modern gold unc commems, after the fall of FDR, Smithsonian, etc... It makes me think a) the real collector base for these is minuscule and b) that it's probably been dealers that have kept the prices up until they decided to just liquidate. The interesting question to me is "Has the collector base actually shrunk on these since the recession, and if so, how much?" Looking at sales of the NPS coin before people starting speculating that it might be the new low mintage king, am guessing there can't be many more than 2000 or so people who actually collect these as a series.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2016 8:53AM

@GritsMan said:
    ... It makes me think a) the real collector base for these is minuscule and b) that it's probably been dealers that have kept the prices up until they decided to just liquidate.

I think you just nailed it.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

The CVS Unc still commands a premium though it seems that it's be hit about as hard a the Jackie Unc.

The LOC Bi-Metallic Unc still does quite well though it's not just gold and it's not $5.

One wonders even if the Parks Unc comes in as the new key how long that will last. It looks like there are strong contenders for low interest in the 2017 gold commem. lineup.

If the Parks Unc is the new key I wonder how much more Jackie will drop. Man did I get killed buying my Jackie 70 years ago.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    modern comms are the one area where mintages don't always drive price. Probably not enough collectors.

the topic "National Parks" is boring....

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I look at the $5 gold commemoratives as an inexpensive way to pick up some gold. Price range near 300 much easier to afford than a double eagle. The Liberty or Indian $5 gold is 90/10 and weighs 8.24 grams. The modern $5 gold is also 90/10 and weighs 8.36 grams. Coinflation currently lists Liberty $5 gold at 274 melt. Add 4 dollars for the slight difference in weight, and you are at 278 for the modern $5 gold. I purchased on Ebay last week, a PCGS graded PF69DCAM 1988-W Olympic $5 gold for 295 free shipping. It was a true auction, and several others went for less than 300 on the same evening. That puts me in this coin for less than 20 dollars over actual melt, AND it's a beautiful coin. IMO, an opportunity that probably won't last long.

• Options

@AUandAG said:

@derryb said:
    modern comms are the one area where mintages don't always drive price. Probably not enough collectors.

But Teddy Roosevelt is VERY interesting to lots of folks (like me).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Teddy was for sure interesting, but really? People collect these because of the President on them?
    As they say, to each his own!
    bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:

@derryb said:

Actually, compared to the Lions Club, I think both of this year's commems are quite interesting and attractive. This makes me think the NPS gold unc could hold some value as a new key--even if some mintage swings in below it. I also want to add that I think one reason the NPS sales have been so low is that people were just overstretched by the combo of Mark Twain and the 1916 anniversary coins. I don't know that that particular combination of events is likely anytime soon.

• Options

Great observation Grits. I couldn't figure a reason why the NPS unc was coming in so low. Not a bad looking coin and the Parks are popular. Your theory makes sense.

• Options

If Congress authorized 100k of the National Parks $5 gold to be minted, did they mint that many? What will be of the remaining unsold examples?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    If Congress authorized 100k of the National Parks $5 gold to be minted, did they mint that many? What will be of the remaining unsold examples?

It doesn't mean that 100k were minted, but whatever the excess mintage is should be melted after the cutoff for sales.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited December 26, 2016 1:33PM

Don't forget the $5 gold in the NPS 3-Coin Proof Set.

14,283 sales as of 12/18/2016. And another 4500+ stand-alone Proofs.

Does that mean the Uncirculated gold will be a key commem? Or not? Wish I knew for sure. But right now, I'm thinking it won't be a key.

Anyway, congrats to bolivarshagnasty. I like your strategy.

• Options

@COCollector said:

Does that mean the Uncirculated gold will be a key commem? Or not? Wish I knew for sure. But right now, I'm thinking it won't be a key.

Yes, it's the Unc which may end up key. Y do u C this as unlikely?

• Options

@Raufus said:

@COCollector said:

Yes, it's the Unc which may end up key. Y do u C this as unlikely?

Partly gut feel.

But mostly I can't buy now... spent way too much this Xmas. So, as bolivarshagnasty suggests, I'm hoping to get one later on-the-cheap at auction.

• Options

@baseball said:
    Having said all that, it seems like a reasonable risk/reward situation. Especially when you can compound the
    discount when buying with ebay bucks promotions that could get you 10% back.

Bingo! I've bought several modern $5 gold commems below spot using eBay Bucks promotions. My favorite is the well-designed 1987 Constitution commem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file