Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, but I'm a tad confused. I have to admit I'm not up on the whole Dan Carr story, but why wouldn't these be considered "counterfeit" vs "fantasy" coins? Given there were no Morgan (or Peace) dollars minted in 1964, and they are apparently restrikes over existing Morgans, but has anything been done to them that I am missing (even maybe on the edge?) that indicate that they are "copies/fantasy" and not Mint/government issue, other than the date? What are the rules or loopholes involved? Just curious.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

DBSTrader2 go to Daniel Carr past post its all been debated before

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Seems like I been down this way before
    Is there any truth in that, señor? "

Bob Dylan, 1978

Dan Fan
  • Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

Uh oh, hopefully the train stays on the tracks.

Tbstrader2 make sure to check out the threads on the subject over on the NGC forum, lots of Dan Carr haters over there and lots of threads debating the subject, don't forget your popcorn.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 4:33PM

Peace Dollars were minted in 1964 @ Denver. Years ago a fellow class mate, Tito, at a1990's ANA Summer Seminar reminisced about working at the Denver Mint when some 300,000+ were struck & then scraped.

64D Peace & 64D Morgan don't actually legally exist or exist, so these fantasies are not copies of real coins. That would include the 1965D Peace $ issue too. This includes all the other Fantasy Date examples he's created.

Lindy

@DBSTrader2 said:
    Beautiful, but I'm a tad confused. I have to admit I'm not up on the whole Dan Carr story, but why wouldn't these be considered "counterfeit" vs "fantasy" coins? Given there were no Morgan (or Peace) dollars minted in 1964, and they are apparently restrikes over existing Morgans, but has anything been done to them that I am missing (even maybe on the edge?) that indicate that they are "copies/fantasy" and not Mint/government issue, other than the date? What are the rules or loopholes involved? Just curious.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Who else received their order and what did you get?

• Options

She knows what they cost and was impressed by what the 2015's sell for! 2015 95 mintage ,2017 156 they wont be worth as much ?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

Yeah. He's a crafty guy..

Absolutely! Found loopholes to circumvent both the US counterfeiting laws and forum spam rules, got to respect such ingenuity.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:
    She knows what they cost and was impressed by what the 2015's sell for! 2015 95 mintage ,2017 156 they wont be worth as much ?

What have the 2015's sold for?

• Options

400 to 450

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2017 10:08PM

The 2015 gold owl slug is an amazing piece. Have any been available on the secondary market?

The 2015 and 2016 gold slugs have a mintage of 7 each while the 2017 has a mintage of 6 so far. I wonder if it has a chance to stay at 6 and become the key to the series.

• Options

that would be interesting !

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The 2015 gold owl slug is an amazing piece. Have any been available on the secondary market?

The 2015 and 2016 gold slugs have a mintage of 7 each while the 2017 has a mintage of 6 so far. I wonder if it has a chance to stay at 6 and become the key to the series.

Sorry but I laughed out loud a little bit on that one. 6 or 7, what's the key lol. Can you imagine if the US mint had a series with those numbers as the two keys. Anyway, it probably depends on how many are purchased. If they aren't mint to demand I'm sure Dan melts down any that don't sell to reuse the gold on other issues. I'd give my eye teeth for one though. I just never seem to have a spare $5Kish to spend when they come around :joy:

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@1940coupe said:

Doesn't matter to me, I did not purchase anything to 'flip', purely for my enjoyment.
    My wife knows I don't sell anything and kids me about it.

• Options

Dan always keeps some for his own so a mintage of 6 and 7 he probably only released 4 and 5

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

he has the images to create the dies. would he sell the broken sword art now?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2017 5:17AM

@MsMorrisine said:
    he has the images to create the dies. would he sell the broken sword art now?

I think he values it alot and would probably not sell it

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really looking forward to some new "Broken Sword" creations ~ someday....

Dan Fan
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

...another day closer to shipping my order.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Can he make one that is blinding to view?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Orders 13237 & 13272, so must be close to shipping, I would imagine.

NICE pieces so far guys.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

13255 waiting too. Right between yours.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Can he make one that is blinding to view?

A lot already are :wink:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

My order(s) came today. I bought six different coins/medals/discs (along with a couple duplicates) and most of them are spectacular, in my humble opinion. One of the 1.5 oz. octagons will need exchanging due to having dirty fingerprints on one side, but according to others that has never been a problem so I'm not concerned.

I did want to mention that when I looked over the solar eclipse medal I was initially disappointed. It seemed that there was virtually no holographic effect. But after taking another, longer look...and continually rotating it under good lighting...she began to come alive! A very cool aurora, nice spectrum of colors, just plain fun to play with! I will keep this one on the nightstand for awhile where she can be easily accessed and, well, enjoyed!

The brilliant Wydah Pirate cob is even nicer than I expected. Now I want an antiqued version too!

• Options

My order came today, 3 coins

1.5 owl which is amazing, it had at first what I thought was a long piece of hair but it was actually a piece of thread wrapped around the token in the flip, I removed it and was no big deal just glad I didn't get fingerprints like Fallguy.

The antique pirate cob is also amazing, I love it.

The eclipse token was a little disappointing, as fallguy mentioned it first appears as if it has no hologram effect at all but in the right light it does have a faint amount. I have the knights of the coin table Merlin club medal and the hologram really pops on it, was hoping for the same on the eclipse but it's just not as nice. The slanted date on the reverse is bothersome to me also, would have looked better to have slapped it across Canada but that's just my opinion.

I love Dans work and hate to be a downer, I'm just not a fan of this one. it's just my opinion and I'm sure others disagree but felt I should share my thoughts.

• Options

I have the silver bars with the hologram.
    I've been wanting to view them under my ultra violet lamp and forgot.
    Might really 'light it up'.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the hologram effect on the solar piece was not as much as I was hoping. Mine also has a few shiny spots on the obverse, where it looks like the high points rubbed and are now shinier than the rest of the coin. Anyone else's have that?

• Options

@jwitten said:
    I agree that the hologram effect on the solar piece was not as much as I was hoping. Mine also has a few shiny spots on the obverse, where it looks like the high points rubbed and are now shinier than the rest of the coin. Anyone else's have that?

YES! Mine also has that, I forgot to mention it in my post.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still think that Indian may be a rendition of Danny! Like it, and wow, really chunky. I like the smaller gold with traditional eagles on reverse, the tenth ounce possibly better even than the quarter. No Eclipses for me but glad if people like them.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2017 1:13PM

I always thought the same thing about the Indian!
    It was on his UNA coinage several years ago.

• Options

This might be a dumb question and probably pretty obvious but what's the UT stand for below the date on the new D Carr eclipse medal?

• Options

I'm guessing universal time

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I'm guessing universal time

Correct

The more you VAM..
  • Options

Thanks! That makes sense.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

13264 also waiting. :)

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

@Kudbegud said:

Can't wait to see your images.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I don't see any hologram on the sun side.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:
    I don't see any hologram on the sun side.

Yeah, I didn't see it really either. The rest of my order is awesome, but that one doesn't have the hologram appearance that I've seen other coins of his have.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2017 10:45AM

The hologram is there. Best seen in direct light while being rocked back and forth. Imo it's the perfect amount of hologram. It is a subtle accent touch. If it were as thick as say the Merlin I think it would be too overpowering for this specific design

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 7:41PM

@robec said:

@Kudbegud said:

I am three order numbers behind you Bob.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

It is a subtle accent touch.

If it's subtle, IT'S REALLY SUBTLE.

I don't think I should have to search for the hologram, it should be obvious.

Insert says, "Hologram"

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, at first I thought mine was missing the hologram as well. It's pretty darn light.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it decreases as minting increases. Later ones get lighter. He mentioned "But my last holographic shim is not going to last forever." Mine could be included in these late stage production. Hope shipping is soon.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2017 10:51PM

edited

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh...say again??

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Maybe it decreases as minting increases. Later ones get lighter. He mentioned "But my last holographic shim is not going to last forever." Mine could be included in these late stage production. Hope shipping is soon.

I took it as a reference to the amount of the shim material that he had left.
    I'm sure Dan will be along to address the issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file